Print Page | Close Window

Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1201
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 7:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!
Posted By: 13yearslugger
Subject: Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 11:07am
Is anyone else having trouble parking at Horner Road??

We're trying to find out if others are having as much difficulty as many of us are in that the lot seems to be filling up (Max.) by 7:30 at the latest, and people are being forced to park illegally and on the street.

Does anyone have any good ideas of how we can fix this problem. Someone said they thought it was b/c people from Potomac Mills and Hechingers are starting to park there b/c it was easier to get rides, but I'm not sure the lot can handle all the attention it's getting.

Good ideas needed!!! Maybe we need to bring this to the attention of our county sups. that there is a huge need here????

Replies:
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 1:18pm
Rt. 1/123 may be one mile down the road (though I think it's a little longer), it's at least 20 minutes away from Horner with the morning traffic on Old Bridge, Rt. 1, 95 or any other route from Horner to there. Anyway, that was a badly designed lot from the get go, b/c it's difficult at best to get to, and the bus isn't really a regular option for people who slug, which are the main users of this site.

I think people have a logistical problem utilizing a lot that is further south, b/c it's almost impossible to get to these lots during rush hour traffic.

Tacketts is ok, but it's almost impossible to slug back to there from D.C., which is a large part of the traffic in Horner Rd. with 14th and 18th Street lines. I think these are the main reasons Horner is so appealing to so many people. And, if the county sups. really thought this was an issue that needed to be addressed, I think they would and could (before all the land is developed or too expensive to purchase)!!!

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 9:18am
I tried Potomac today and parking was easy and the commute was fine. There aren't many drivers going to 14th Street though so it would be nice to see more drivers coming over (I got there about 8 am today). Hopefully drivers will be willing to return to Potomac too. That would help alleviate some of the problems at Horner with parking if we could get people back over to Potomac.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 7:57am
I think the threads alluding to the tickets drivers are receiving at Horner are leading to the parking on Telegraph and other problems. I agree with Roadrunner, it does not take 20 minutes from Tacketts, Horner or any other lot in the Woodbridge area to get to the 123 lot. At the most, 10 minutes even during rush hour. All the lots around the area are probably full by 8 a.m., with the exception being the 123 lot. I'm afraid VDOT won't make any changes until that lot is being utilized to its fullest.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 12:26pm
Roadrunner: I did actually take your advice yesterday when I couldn't find a parking space at Horner and drove from Horner Rd. to Hechingers. B/t waiting on Telegraph forever to get onto Old Bridge and Rush hour traffic, it did take me 20 minutes -- but I did find parking. But, I also had to take the bus home at night b/c I couldn't get a ride from DC (and driving home along Old Bridge was almost as painful as the morning!!!). So, that's not very doable for my situation.

I apologize and didn't mean to "slam" your response. It was not the intention at all. I've just heard so many times from county people to use the new 123 lot, and it is not flexible for people with my commute (and probably many others since it's so empty).

Thanks for your response, and good ideas are always appreciated even if it wasn't totally apparent -- sorry......

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 1:10pm
I know how inconvenient 123 is, but I do believe that some day there will be slugging there.

The one idea I have if VDOT is really interested in getting the 123 lot utilized would be to do a shuttle service between Horner and this lot, at least until people start to park there. I know it sounds strange, but I do believe it could work. As I recall, a while back when we had a lot of discussions about the Stafford parking, there were county officials that actually did approve a shuttle. Does anyone know anything about that?

Bob

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 2:10pm
They did have a shuttle for a couple of weeks between the old 610 lot and the Mine Rd lot. There was limited funding so they didn't keep it up very long. I never rode on it myself.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 2:23pm
There is a PRTC shuttle that goes around Lake Ridge. I don't where or how far it goes, but maybe VDOT can contact them to do that. Actaully I might start a similar deal when I retire in 18 months. By that time, parking will be off the charts.

Also "13years" - where would you intersect Telegraph and Old Bridge? I don't believe they do. I believe you mean Telegraph and Minnieville. Thanks

Posted By: aaron_the_prince
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2004 at 3:47pm
I went to Potomac Mills this morning (9/21, 8:10 a.m.). There was plenty of parking (for the riders). However, there were very few drivers.

HORNER ROAD SLUGS & DRIVERS!! DRIVERS: If you cant understand why you are waiting for 10 or 20 minutes for riders at the Horner lot around 8 a.m., it is because they are circling trying to find a patch of grass to park on. RIDERS: its pretty clear if you arrive at Horner at 8 a.m. you wont find a place to park - unless your very creative. DRIVERS: Dont wait 10 minutes or more to find a rider -

SOLUTION: TRY POTOMAC MILLS LOT!!

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2004 at 4:18pm
I agree with the above! I got to Potomac about 8 am today (21st), plenty of spaces. We just need more drivers. Drivers please come.

Posted By: slugbug
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 12:54pm
For those of you going to Potomac Mills after 8:00 Am...where are your destinations? I may start picking up there, if it benefits me to do so.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 1:32pm
At least two of us are slugging to the 14th and K Street area.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 1:34pm
I generally go to 14th but ultimately I need to get to 15th and K so if you go 18th, as long as you go up to K I'd be willing to ride. I prefer 14th but since we really need drivers, I'm willing to be flexible.

Posted By: P8R10TZ
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 3:41pm
ktzmom:

Don't give up hope. I'm sure the more PM gets used, the more you'll see riders for your destination. It's just going to take some time for PM to take-off again.

Posted By: Pirategirl
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 1:36pm
I normally pick up from Horner too, but to avoid the madness, I have decided to pick up from PM too. I arrived at PM this morning around 8am, and there were no riders. I am very flexible with my drop off destinations, so I can be swayed easily judging by the number of people waiting.
Eventually some people showed up, and I figured it was well worth the 5 or 10 minute wait. So don't give up on PM's, hang in there!
[;)]

Posted By: AF Fam
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 3:50pm
Are there any riders going to Rosslyn from PM between 7:15 and 8:00 AM? I will be driving approx one week per month on that route (Horner Rd or PM). Thanks.

Posted By: ckenyattas
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 3:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by 13yearslugger
[br]Is anyone else having trouble parking at Horner Road??

We're trying to find out if others are having as much difficulty as many of us are in that the lot seems to be filling up (Max.) by 7:30 at the latest, and people are being forced to park illegally and on the street.

Does anyone have any good ideas of how we can fix this problem. Someone said they thought it was b/c people from Potomac Mills and Hechingers are starting to park there b/c it was easier to get rides, but I'm not sure the lot can handle all the attention it's getting.

Good ideas needed!!! Maybe we need to bring this to the attention of our county sups. that there is a huge need here????

Christopher K. Sese-Khalid, Sr.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 3:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by 13yearslugger
[br]Is anyone else having trouble parking at Horner Road??

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 4:07pm
Yes there is other alternates. You can park at the Overflow parking (Prince William Square on Opitz Blvd) and have 18th street, State Department pick up passengers there. Rosalyn and the Pentagon are still picking up passengers at Potomac Mills. There are plenty of parking and plenty of room to pick up. It is not to far from 95 (HOV) lane. The HOV will fill up before 7:30am. So I will volunteer to start the overflow parking at the Prince William Square on Opitz Blvd. Across the street from Potomac Mills. If we continue to park at Horner Road like this. We are asking for trouble such as accidents, car theft, parking tickets, and getting your car toll. Remember Prince William County police are watching us and they will find the best time to get us especially during the fall and the winter time. Woodbridge 123 parking is too far and it is out of the drivers way when returning back home.

Bureau of Arms Control , Office of Conventional of Arms Control (AC/CAC)
U.S. Department of State
Tel: 202-736-4760
Fax: 202-647-7663
Office E-mail: SesekhCK@state.gov
Home E-mail: ckenyattas@comcast.net
Determination and perserverance are the ingredient of achievement.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 4:29pm
I don't think commuter parking in Prince William Square is allowed anymore, unless they changed their policy again.

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 6:15pm
What time did you get there? I drove out of PM on Monday and Tuesday. I was there by 7:45 and on the road by 7:55am. It's not like you can show up at 8:30 and expect a line of riders.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 6:26pm
Eventually, there MAY be riders as late as 0830 at PM. But, right now PM just isn't getting that many riders. That's why were trying to promote it more. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you so far ktzmom...

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 3:31pm
The suggestion that the over crowding at Horner Road is the result of Potomac Mills and Hechinger riders switching to Horner Road has been the reasoning for years, I would suspect the reason could possibly be the constant increase in gasoline prices.Well I am about to park my vehicle again and jump back in line right along with the rest of you.

Mrs. B

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 4:48pm
That might be part of the reason, but PM used to get full, but as of right now, it doesn't.

Posted By: scarygreengiant
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 8:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]For those of you going to Potomac Mills after 8:00 Am...where are your destinations? I may start picking up there, if it benefits me to do so.

Slugbug, I go to the Pentagon and take the Metro. But I'm flexible. Crystal City or 14th street or ANYTHING that's on the way to 6th and Pennsylvania Ave would work!

Posted By: scarygreengiant
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 9:14pm
Does anyone think making flyers like this would help?

ATTENTION: Drivers and Slugs!!!!
More slugs and drivers needed at POTOMAC MILLS lot. Parking MUCH better so drivers won’t have to wait as long for slugs to find parking space.

Maybe some of us could whip up some flyers and pass them out or tape them up on the bus stop things or to our car windows.

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 11:03am
It's like you're all preaching to the choir, but not everyone's listening. :) I have also thought about putting up posters or flyers but it's the funding that's tough. But if enough of us are willing to make the signs I'd be more than willing to pitch in some supplies. But I think overall PM is picking up in popularity. I haven't had to wait too long lately in the evenings and hardly at all in the mornings.

Posted By: meagain
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 3:47pm
There is only way I see to fix any of the overflow problems in any commuter lot in the area and that is to make sure that all cars parked in that lot belong to that area. (county sticker) We also have the same problem in Stafford. We have sluggers and commuters coming in from Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania and beyond. as I'm sure you have from Stafford and further south. We have no place to park either. Our lots fill at 7:30 also. Commuting is becoming a HUGE problem in this area.

Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 12:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by meagain
[br]There is only way I see to fix any of the overflow problems in any commuter lot in the area and that is to make sure that all cars parked in that lot belong to that area. (county sticker) We also have the same problem in Stafford. We have sluggers and commuters coming in from Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania and beyond. as I'm sure you have from Stafford and further south. We have no place to park either. Our lots fill at 7:30 also. Commuting is becoming a HUGE problem in this area.

There is precedence -- the city of Manassas requires non-city residents to have a parking pass for their VRE lot and those folks are not allowed to park in the lot nearest the station. The pass, however, is free. Park without it and you *will* get a ticket (no if's/maybe's/but's).

- Will

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:19pm
I think this is a valid point, particularly considering the Stafford lot is closing. There are many people from Stafford County parking in PW county lots, which in the long run is beginning to inconvenience PW county residents. Stafford county needs to get their act together and provide adequate commuter parking for its residents... before PW county lots are saturated.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:32pm
I wonder if anyone has any ideas of who to contact in regard to this. Would it be VDOT or the county or whom since the lots are public?

Posted By: noellesk8r
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:44pm
VDOT would be your point of contact since the lots are owned by them. As for the "name" of a person, I don't know. You can research their website: virginiadot.org

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:48pm
To the best of my knowledge the Horner lot was originally a VDOT lot. The last expansion that doubled the size of the lot to 2000 + spaces was a county funded and managed project. So it is really both. However, I doubt if you could restrict it to county stickers.

I think we should ask our state and local reps to look into the issue of commuter parking in PWC again. We do have space in the 123 lot and I believe other lots in Lake Ridge(?) I'll bet there are those that use Horner that could use a Lake Ridge lots or the 123 lot if we could get sluuging started there The entire issue needs to be looked at once again.

Bob

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:54pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a Spotyslvania Co. resident who would be *thrilled* to use the Rt. 3 lot that is 2 minutes from my house. However, I will not go to the Pentagon in the evenings in order to return to that lot. We are trying the 610 lot tomorrow to see how that works, as Horner has gotten absolutely out of control.

Posted By: AF Fam
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 9:02pm
I learned my lesson the hard way today. I thought I would play connect the dots frm my son's school to Tackett's and shave five minutes off my commute. It's only 9 miles, right? How much traffic can there really be on Prince Wm Pkwy and Old Bridge Road? 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic and five school zones later, I am parked in the line of cars. To play it safe, I get out of the car and walk to the car behind me: "Is this the line to Rosslyn?" I get that glazed over expression rom this guy and depression sets in. I drive the 5-7 minutes south to Horner, arriving at 7:50 AM. There, I am the 10th car in line for Rosslyn and there is absolutley zero pedestrian traffic in the lot. Now I drive over to PM, wait about 4 minutes and I have two riders (one of whom has to give me directions to 95N since I have only been in that area twice). From leaving the house to standing in line at the coffee pot at work, it took an hour and fifty minutes! My decision is now made. Prior to 7:30 AM, I'll go to Horner. After that, it's PM!

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2004 at 3:34pm
I agree with "AF Fam's" experience with PW Pkwy and Old Bridge. I travel down the 9 miles, too, at about 8:00 AM, and it's awful!! I don't know where everything else is coming from where they say it's 10 minutes, b/c that's just not happening for me.

I also agree with Bob in that we need to get the County Sups. involved b/c everyone's getting ticketed. They're even ticketing everyone who parks along a curb (simply everyone who is not in a noted space), which is going to decrease the amount of parking that has been available for years even more. There is a meeting with the PW Board of Sups. on October 12 at 7:30 PM (info. below).

I hadn't thought about the county sticker option -- worth exploring --though I'm sure it will tick off a lot of Spotsy and Stafford people.......

JAMES J. MCCOART ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
1 COUNTY COMPLEX COURT
PRINCE WILLIAM, VIRGINIA 22192
TIME: 7:30 P.M. PUBLIC HEARINGS
www.pwcgov.org

Hopefully many will be able to make it. For me, I think the PM option looks better, and I was just told that I can slug to Horner and take the bus for $1 to PM (is that true??) I'm still a little leary though about the reliability factor --

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2004 at 4:25pm
To clarify a few points...

Maureen Caddigan's office looked into the county stickers issue before and discovered that there was no legal standing for towing or ticketing or putting up a sign that said For PWC Residents Only. For one thing, too many military people live around here and have cars legally licensed out of state, not to say county. So you can't do that without opening a can of ugly legalistic worms (plus we owe the military guys for starting the slug lines to begin with!)

The supervisors are well aware of the problem of parking at Horner, but they (rightly) shy away from interfering directly with the police -- that way lies a different kind of country than I want to live in. They police are not unreasonable about this: I've had at least 4 of these tickets waived in the last year or so.

The PROBLEM, as others have noted, is 61,000 new PWC residents in 4 years to go along with all the thousands who've moved into Stafford and F'burg, but NOT ONE new commuter parking space added since the Rte. 234 expansion in 2000/2001.

THAT's the problem. And that is why 13yearslugger is right in urging everyone to come to the board meetings, as futile as it might be, because the supervisors need to hear the need. We can't expect them to really respond, to divert needed resources, unless they see the irate taxpayers in person.

Posted By: Chinadl
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 11:25am
I have to agree with you about the chaos at Honer Road. I receive a ticket on a Friday and again the following Monday. Obviously there is a problem at that lot. I went up to the county office and was told that there have been many complaints however people haven't been utilzing the 123 lot and alot of others, therefore our chances of getting any changes made my be slim to none. I think that we have to untilize all of our resources before we can complain about the problem. I do agree the Horner Rd. is the most convienent lot to get in and out but us as communters have to come up with a better solution to make this work or we are always going to have problems. I think we need to get the word out for everyone to utilze this site so that we can come up with a proactive solution in solving this problem.

Tonight, 10/12/04 @ 7:00 p.m. they are having a Public Hearing at the County Building off of Prince William Parkway. We as commuters need to start going to this meetings and voicing our opinions so that maybe a change can get into motion. I hope that everyone who reads this message is about to attend the meeting and voice their opinions.

Chinadl

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 11:45am
I'd love to see more spaces at Horner, but the hill we have to climb is the argument that "why should the county build more spaces when there are empty spaces every day at other lots like Old Hechinger?" The county can (sorta) argue with a straight face that they don't need to build more spaces until ALL existing spaces are utilized. It is hardly the county's fault that slugging out of the 123 lot doesn't usually work.

(not my personal point of view but one that does have a certain amount of validity)

Eric
Tacketts to Rosslyn rider

Posted By: pplmvrs
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 2:09pm
Ok, so I went to Potomac Mills for the first time this morning...I got there at 7:00am and there were no slugs! Just a long line of cars. I left and went to Horner. Is there a particular time for PM that is better? It is now closer to where I live and I thought I would give it a try

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 8:29am
I went to PM again this morning..I was there around 7am again, but this time there were plenty of slugs! It was great :)
There is PLENTY of parking there :)

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 9:24am
Is Potomac Mills really that good? I slug to Rosslyn from Tackett's and I LOVE Tackett's Mill but I'm moving from Lake Ridge to Woodbridge over by Woodbridge Middle/E. Vaughn (and I really, really don't want to have to use Horner). I was debating still using Tackett's; but if PM is healthy that seems to make far more sense. Does someone out there have first hand knowledge of the availability of Rosslyn rides from PM at approx. 7 AM?

Eric
Tacketts to Rosslyn rider

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 10:28am
For me, PM means hitting four traffic lights getting to the lot, then three on the way to the HOV. Same in reverse at night. Nonetheless, I tried PM yesterday and today at 8:00 a.m. and got rides in 10 minutes.

We need to start using PM more for everything after 7:45 or so.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 10:51am
For me, the number of red lights surrouding PM lot is no more of an obstacle to my commute than Horner's overcrowding. In fact its about the same when you consider having to slow down for all the pedestrians and battle other cars for parking spaces.

My commute has been so much easier both in the morning and on the way home when I use PM.

One more point, WE NEED MORE DC DRIVERS TO POTOMAC IN THE AFTERNOON. I wish Horner drivers realized how much easier it is to get out of PM lot after dropping off slugs as opposed to dropping at Horner. Particularly, if you life off of Dale Blvd. or Rt. 1. You never have to get back on 95!! No back up at the lights on Telegraph Rd.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 10:59am
I agree. Getting back into Horner in the afternoon there is always a backlog off of HOV and you have to wait for people to drop off and/or go around the Pentagon drop off in the first lot, continue to the second lot to drop off and wait some more. Coming out of Horner by either exit there is always a long wait. It takes me 10 minutes or more to even get out of Horner these days. When I just go straight to Potomac no back up or waits and drop off is easy and no long walk to get to the car in the evening! So drivers, please consider coming back to Potomac in the evenings. You will find it really isn't that bad and you might find it quicker like most of us have!

Cruisin in HOV

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 5:07am
Carleric, there's usually a bunch of cars waiting for Rosslyn riders...

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 11:23am
I saw a VW van parked along the PW Pkwy exit last night as we drove past on our way to PM that backed up and parked perpendicular in between two paralled-parked cars! Half the van was hanging over the edge of the ground! I couldn't believe the crazy things people do to squeeze into a spot there.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 2:38pm
Somebody is going to get hit by a car by parking on Telegraph Rd.
There is NO room to walk to you car without being on the road. I can't believe that people are willing to risk their lives to park at Horner. AMAZING!

Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 2:48pm
... as well as someone turning out of Horner onto Telegraph may get nailed by oncoming traffic that was blocked by parked vehicles along Telegraph...have seen several close calls already.

- Will

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 9:34pm
QUESTION: Is there anything that can be done to advertise the Potomac Mills Lot for morning and AFTERNOONS? It very difficult to obtain a ride home if you are going to Potomac. I would be happy to use Potomac if I knew I could have a better chance at geting a ride home in the Afternoon.

QUESTION: Is there a way to catch an Omnilink Bus to Potomac from Roslyn if you dont get a slug ride home in time?

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 10:44am
Slugs in DC have been holding signs advertising their desire to be dropped off at Potomac.

Posted By: mallslug
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 8:01am
First, there is a way to catch an Omniride bus home from Rosslyn, but it involves taking Metro to the Pentagon first :) It's not a bad way to go and that's what I do in extremely bad weather because I don't like getting in stranger's cars in the middle of a blizzard.

I slug from PM to Rosslyn and back every day (except in snowstorms) and I've never had much of a problem in either the morning or the afternoon. Yes, most afternoon drivers in Rosslyn seem to want to go to Horner road, but once you get back to the 7th or 8th car, it's pretty easy to convince a Horner driver to go the extra 5 minutes to PM rather than sit and wait another 10 minutes in Rosslyn.

I slug pretty early in the morning from PM and at 6:20 to 6:40 there will either be a line of 20 people and no cars, or about 10 cars and no slugs. There's just no telling how it will be but even when there is a huge line of people I've never waited more than about 7 or 8 minutes for a driver. On one rare occasion when I had to drive to work later, and got to the lot around 7, I only had to wait about 10 minutes for riders. I tried Horner Road a couple times - what a mess!

One time slugging from Horner was during Christmas week last year when the Potomac Mills lot was empty - no slugs, no drivers so I drove to Horner and parked. All the cars at Horner were going to the Pentagon (this was before the line was split) and were not willing to switch to Rosslyn even though the line was at least 20 cars. Finally one reluctant drive in about the 22nd position relented and took me and another slug to Rosslyn. I just don't understand why someone would rather sit in a parking lot for 1/2 hour when they could be on the road.

Bottom line, Potomac Mills beats Horner Road

Karen

Posted By: slugguru
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 1:02pm
adjguy............another way to catch a ride home from rosslyn would be to catch the metro to springfield and a omnilink bus will take u to potomac mills up until 9 or 10 pm...

Posted By: mallslug
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 1:26pm
adjguy - check out www.prtctransit.org for the bus schedules under "Omniride". There is a difference between OmniRide and OmniLink on the website so make sure you click the correct one. The last bus back to Horner from the Pentagon is the DL-2 that leaves at 6:50, then the next three "DL" busses will take you to the Rt. 123 lot and you transfer to one that will take you to Horner. Or... you have to go to Springfield where the bus runs once an hour from 7:25 until 10:30.

Karen

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 4:38pm
I got to Horner Road this morning by 7:20am, thinking I was going to get a fair free spot in the second lot but to my surprise, every single legal space was taken. Pretty soon, Horner Road will reach full capacity before 7am. Outrageous!
I parked at Potomac Mills but it was very difficult to find riders heading to DC. There was a long line of slugs waiting for a car and it took me 30 minutes to be at the front of the line.

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 6:11pm
Thank you all for your help and advice! Sigh of relief. Will now try Potomac Mills Lot.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
[:D]
JB

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 11:51am
Emancilla,
I think it has just been a crazy week for commuting. next week you probably won't have to wait 30 minutes. I am a new Potomac Mills driver and I love it!! I used to always use Horner or Tackett's Mill, but I moved to Dale City and now think PM is much better than Horner

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 1:08pm
I agree, this morning at PM was one of those once in a while flukes. I typically arrive around 7 AM and most of the time there's not even a line, slugs just march right up to the cars. Today both the DC and CC lines were waiting for a while, but after using PM for two months now this is only the third time I've had to wait that long for a ride.

I used to park at Horner around 8 and can still get a legal spot. From hearing everyone's experiences it sounds like even at 7 it's slim pickings. I'm throwing away my "Horner Rd" sign, I haven't used it in months and don't plan on ever using it again!

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net