Print Page | Close Window

Tickets at Horner Rd lot this AM!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1230
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 7:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tickets at Horner Rd lot this AM!
Posted By: Late rider
Subject: Tickets at Horner Rd lot this AM!
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 11:02am
It's that time of the month again when they ticket illegal parkings at Horner Rd. They started around 8.30'ish this morning and I am sure they'll be done before we all get home. They have all day! Sorry for you guys out there who's getting ticketed.[:(] I've been there and done that. Hopefully I didn't get one myself[:p]

Replies:
Posted By: swichowski
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 11:07am
I saw something on windows yesterday from Prince William County. Not sure if it was a ticket or warning.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 11:15am
Maybe it was a warning that said they are going to ticket them if they are doing the same thing again tomorrow[:D]

Posted By: Pirategirl
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 12:04pm
I arrived at Horner this morning around 8:10a and there were still plenty of legal parks remaining at the very back of the lot. I think some people are too lazy to walk from the back of the lot, so they park illegally and then there are those who would rather spend 15 minutes looking for an inch of space that they can cram their vehicles in. So those who get tickets today, rightfully deserve them since they wouldn't bother to check if there were any legal parks available.

~Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain~
Marcus Garvey

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 12:52pm
Thank goodness they're back to ticketing illegal parkers! I've been advocating that they do it regularly on the other thread because this parking situation is out of hand. And when I used to park at Horner I'd get there around 8 and there are still legal spots yet I see people pull right up on a curb or grass in front of my face. Shame on you lazy people, and if you do get ticketed, I don't feel any sympathy for you. There are plenty of other lots to use if you really can't find a spot, like Potomac Mills or Tackett's Mill, or god forbid the deserted 123 lot. [:0]

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 2:06pm
The last time they ticketed, they did not ticket the cars parked wholly in the white lines, but did ticket those that were parked outside them. I'll be interested to see what they did today.

Posted By: aaron_the_prince
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 3:38pm
I knew the ticketing would eventually begin. The Horner lot Tuesday thru Thursday is a disaster for the drivers and riders arriving after 730 a.m. I switched to the riding and picking up at the Potomac Mills lot and its great. No hassles, lots of parking spots open. And, I dont have to walk a half mile to get to the line.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 6:01pm
Well I did get a ticket! I did not expect it....[:(!] I am really pissed about it because it said "LEFT SIDE PARKING TO THE CURB" I don't think it's illegal but I'll be at the police station next week to fight about it. It's not like I parked on a stripped lane or yellow lane or no parking zone... I look on the Driver's manual and they don't really emphasize this... Help me out guys! I know there were tons of you out there who got tickets today the 24 Sep 2004 with the same thing...(I don't mean the illegal parkers on white stripped lane or no parking zone sign) ...It could save each of us $35

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 6:07pm
One thing I forgot the Driver's manual says: " Always park on the right side of the curb unless it's a one way street." I was not parking on the street but it was inside the parking lot, so the rule does not apply... I guess and I did not say "It is illegal to park on the left side of the curb" We need to get together on this one because this is not right.

Posted By: mlrdad
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 4:50pm
Sorry, I have no sympathy for those who get tickets. On one occassion my wife was hemmed in by people who parked illegally and on another a handicapped person I know was prevented from accessing his van because someone had parked in the striped area next to a handicap space. I have arrived at Horner as late as 8 AM and have managed to find a spot albeit some distance away and as others have pointed out, Potomac Mills is alwas an option.[:(!]

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2004 at 4:14pm
Exactly, I have also managed to park in a legal spot after 8 AM in the past, even if that meant I had to walk all the way from Telegraph Rd's lot up the hill to the CC line. On the hectic days where I could not find a spot I drove over to Potomac Mills (where I use exclusively now) and parked there. Technically legal or not, it's still wrong and those of you who do it know it.

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2004 at 5:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by Late rider
[br]One thing I forgot the Driver's manual says: " Always park on the right side of the curb unless it's a one way street." I was not parking on the street but it was inside the parking lot, so the rule does not apply... I guess and I did not say "It is illegal to park on the left side of the curb" We need to get together on this one because this is not right.

Were you parked against a curb on an access road in the lot where other cars would drive by your parked car? If so, the law will still apply. I'll agree that it is kind of mean to give a ticket in a lot for this. But I don't think you will be able to beat it, especially if it was an access road. The law makes sense for roads, you don't want people driving on the wrong side of the road to get into a spot. You need to better describe where you were parked to get sympathy.

Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 11:20am
agree.

They ticket once every couple of weeks at the 234 lot and i have NO sympathy. These people are often almost blocking exits. If you can't get there early enough to park, TOO BAD. find another lot or another way to get to work.

I wish they'd start towing to be honest.

If you snooze, you lose!

Posted By: horner_slug
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 2:43pm
There is no consistency in PWC’s ticketing; they ticket some curbs and not others. I'm not talking about double parking, blocking the road or blocking someone in! The lot was 100% full this AM that means there were NO empty spots in the whole lot! I ended up parking on Telegraph Rd. which is not a problem as long as they do not ticket there. PWC needs to put up no parking signs if they do not want people to park next to the curb. FYI I also got a ticket on the 24th it doesn't matter if you park on the “Left side to the curb” or the “Right side to the curb” they still ticket you!

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 3:30pm
I have seen cars that are parked on Telegraph Road get tickets. What makes you any more special that you think you should be allowed to park on the side of the road and not get a ticket!!!! Potomac Mills was wide open this morning and had a long line of cars waiting for riders. My suggestion to all of those who are parking illegally -- GO TO POTOMAC MILLS, TACKETS, 123 and quit complaining if you get a ticket. You take the risk by parking illegally, don't complain when you get a ticket.[:(!]

Posted By: swichowski
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 5:10pm
There are signs at all entrances that say park in designated spots only.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 9:17am
yes, people KNOW that they aren't parking legally, yet bitch and moan when they get a ticket.

It's just like the self-righteous types here claim the right to go 85-95 miles an hour on the road.

People who think the rules don't apply to them.

Then whine about the consequences, or come up with some lame-o excuse. It's an epidemic in society

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 10:43am
I'm so glad to hear there are reasonable, logical, and law-abiding people out there who aren't rationalizing themselves into creating their own rules to suit their needs. Thank you!

Posted By: horner_slug
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 3:48pm
The law is the law! READ IT! before you start spouting out about things you obviously know nothing about!

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/vadm/vadm2-6.asp#5

Parking

When parking on a public road, move as far from traffic as possible. If you park on a road-side shoulder, pull as far on to it as possible. If you park next to a curb, pull close to it. You may not park more than one foot from the curb. Always park on the right side of the roadway unless it is a oneway street. Parking on hills

When parking on a hill with a curb, turn the front wheels to prevent your vehicle from rolling into the street.
When parking on a hill, turn the front wheels of your vehicle to prevent it from rolling into the street.
Refer to illustrations A and B. If there is no curb, turn the front wheels so that if the vehicle rolls, the rear of the
vehicle will roll away from traffic. Refer to illustrations C and D.

You may not park:

beside another parked vehicle (double parking); on crosswalks or sidewalks; in front of driveways; within areas where parking is prohibited by curbs painted yellow or No Parking signs; in a parking space reserved for disabled persons; on the hard surface of a road when no curb is present; within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;
within 20 feet of an intersection; within 15 feet of the entrance to a fire, ambulance or rescue squad station; within 500 feet of where fire trucks or equipment are stopped answering an alarm; within 50 feet of a railroad crossing; or, in such a way that you block or create a hazard for other vehicles in a designated traffic lane.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 11:49am
While parking on a public road is legal, one must take into consideration the safety factor of all individuals that travel that public road. DOes VDOT need to place no parking signs on all public roads where it is unsafe to park? In this case, it is extremely unsafe to park on the side of Telegraph Road and walk to the slug line. What does it take for people to realize that what they are doing is unsafe? Does someone have to lose his/her life before VDOT will put up signs on Telegraph Road? When this happens, notice I didn't say if but when, how much do you want to bet that the family of the person whose life has been lost or maimed turns around and sues all those involved. It's not worth it when there is plenty of parking at the other lots. Hopefully there will be enough complaints lodged against those parking on Telegraph that VDOT will put up no parking signs. Save the taxpayers some money and utilize the other lots that have plenty of space.[:(!]

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 11:58am
In re-reading Horner Slug's post, I noticed a section from the driver's manual that I had initially overlooked. I quote:

"in such a way that you block or CREATE A HAZARD for other vehicles in a designated traffic lane."

THOSE WHO PARK ON TELEGRAPH ROAD ARE CREATING A HAZARD FOR OTHER VEHICLES. This is why the police can ticket those people parking on Telegraph and why those who receive these tickets have no right to complain.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 12:45pm
Well I was parking alongside the curd in a parking lot not on the street or road!!!! You have to know the difference between those words before posting your anger here for those illegal parkers!!! I am talking about parking on the stripped lane, or double parking or parking on the curb painted yellow...[8D] Just because you wake up early and get parking spaces, makes you own the parking lot...LOL

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 2:28pm
Just because you wake up early and get parking spaces, makes you own the parking lot

-------------------

Just because you're not disciplined enough to get up early and park legally doesn't give you the right to park ILLEGALLY

and then whine about getting parking tickets

Posted By: scarygreengiant
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 2:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Late rider
[br]Well I did get a ticket! I did not expect it....[:(!] I am really pissed about it because it said "LEFT SIDE PARKING TO THE CURB" I don't think it's illegal but I'll be at the police station next week to fight about it. It's not like I parked on a stripped lane or yellow lane or no parking zone... I look on the Driver's manual and they don't really emphasize this... Help me out guys! I know there were tons of you out there who got tickets today the 24 Sep 2004 with the same thing...(I don't mean the illegal parkers on white stripped lane or no parking zone sign) ...It could save each of us $35

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 2:42pm
Im confused. If Horner Road parking spaces are all taken by the early commuters. Why don't you just go to the Potomac Mills lot?? I used to arrive at Horner around 8 a.m. There were never available parking spaces and I dont want to park illegally and get a ticket. So, for the past two weeks I have been parking and picking up at Potomac. I have had no problem getting to my office in DC by 9 a.m. if I arrive at the lot at 8 a.m. or a little after. Here's a map of where to go:

http://www.slug-lines.com/Images_2/Potomac_small.gif

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 2:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by aaron_the_prince
[br]Im confused. If Horner Road parking spaces are all taken by the early commuters. Why don't you just go to the Potomac Mills lot?? I used to arrive at Horner around 8 a.m. There were never available parking spaces and I dont want to park illegally and get a ticket. So, for the past two weeks I have been parking and picking up at Potomac. I have had no problem getting to my office in DC by 9 a.m. if I arrive at the lot at 8 a.m. or a little after. Here's a map of where to go:

Is there really a slug line there that late? Is so that would be great! I took the Omnibus a few times and stood at the bus stop but I never saw any slug line. Is it in a different part of the mall?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 3:03pm
I think we should organize an effort to get more drivers and slugs to go to the Potomac lot. It's very close to Horner and there is PLENTY of parking there. Then we wouldn't have so many problems with illegal parking at Horner. The only reason I go to Horner is because all the drivers are at Horner.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 3:16pm
Qoute:
"I'm sick of you early birds assuming that ALL curb parkers are just lazy pigs."[:D]

1) Around 8:30 AM there's no more slugs at Potomac Mills. It's dead you'll look stupid standing out there alone, no cars, nothing...
2) Even if there cars, most of them are Rosslyn or Pentagon, I need to go to 18th... Out of luck
3) Going home is a pain 1 outta 10 cars pick PM

Suggestion:
Why don't you early birds go out there park at Potomac Mills since the pick up over there is early morning and let Horner for us, "Late riders" because that's the only place for sure that we are going to get a ride to work[^] That way we will not park on the curb, we will get there whenever we want to, my friends will not double park beside you cars. If you said PM has plenty of parking, why don't you help out by parking over there and leave Horner to us.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 3:44pm
Late rider: I think your being a bit ridiculous. First of all when was the last time you attempted to park and ride from Potomac? There is clearly a renewed interest there for late riders/drivers. I have been arriving between 8 and 8:15 a.m. and have only waited a few minutes for a ride.
Second, if you cant find a driver right away, there is a bus you can take from that lot.
Third, flexibility is a fundamental key to making slugging work. If you cant find a ride to 18th, take a ride to pentagon and take the metro to 18th - do what you have to do to get to work. There are several options besides solely finding a car to take you to 14th.
Finally, I have yet to have trouble finding 5 p.m. drivers to Potomac mills from 14th and New York. If you dont believe me make a sign advertising your destination is Potomac, stand next to the Horner line and you will see. People have been doing that in recent weeks and they are being picked up faster than the 30+ people waiting for rides to Horner Rd. around 5 p.m. Whether or not you choose to rework your commute, complaining about it and blaming other is not getting you anywhere. And, if you choose to park illegally no one is going to feel sorry for you or make changes to their commute to accomodate your needs. That's up to you to do.

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:03pm
Just let LateRider keep getting tickets at Horner and us smart slugs go to Potomac and catch the rides after 8 a.m. and get home faster in the evenings! If they don't want to do anything but complain and bellyache, let them!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:04pm
Taking metro or bus is not an option for me. It all costs money. Most of you out there in my opinion are just trying to save few bucks also but you just don't admit (gasoline price, parking fees...etc) I can't be flexible I wish I could be... I am just trying to save as much as I can.

Posted By: spolastre
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:04pm
At Potomac Mills, it is hard to find a driver or rider going to DC after 8. Just like aaron said. Why not go to Rosslyn or Pentagon and take the train there?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:16pm
Seriously, laterider. I just cant feel sorry for you. Your full of excuses. You cant muster up a $1.30 to take the train - in the once in a while event you can only find a driver to pentagon or rosslyn?? ... puh-lease. I guess your that broke after paying $30 illegal parking fines being issued at Horner??

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:24pm
I am just lucky I don't pay anything to get to work or going home and not getting up early.

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:29pm
Late Rider pays nothing except the tickets that you claim to have gotten. I think someone isn't home...

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:31pm
One ticket in a year, it saves more than taking bus or metro. It's like a contribution to the community for the free service.[:D]

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 4:35pm
OK laterider. Keep complaining about the parking situation then. I agree with scarygreengiant that we should initiate or continue the initiative already started in promoting use of Potomac Mills lot. It is evident the lack of parking spaces situation is not going away anytime soon. The county is not going to expand or build new lots until all the lots are being utilzed to full capacity. SO 8 A.M. DRIVERS AND RIDERS TRY POTOMAC INSTEAD OF HORNER for one week to see how it goes. You will probably be surprised how much less stressful it is. Easy in and out of the lot. NO walking a mile to and from the lines, lots of parking spaces!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2004 at 6:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by aaron_the_prince
[br]Second, if you cant find a driver right away, there is a bus you can take from that lot.
Third, flexibility is a fundamental key to making slugging work.

quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]Just because you wake up early and get parking spaces, makes you own the parking lot

-------------------

Just because you're not disciplined enough to get up early and park legally doesn't give you the right to park ILLEGALLY

and then whine about getting parking tickets

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 7:48am
fine. You work late. You won't/can't take the bus.

It still doesn't give you the right to park illegally.

and then whine about parking tickets.

Just another, typical "me first" Washingtonian, folks.

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 8:17am
I sympathize with those who have non 8-5 type schedules, I really do. Parking for them (and others, truth be told) is awful. But, when it comes down to it, if you are not parked in a parking spot you should get a ticket. It's that easy. There isn't any other situation where we would argue that parking everywhere is ok - not at malls, not on residential streets, nowhere. Why should a commuter lot be different?
What scares me, though, is all the people walking along Telegraph. That CANNOT be safe.

Eric
Tacketts to Rosslyn rider

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 8:28am
What was the deal with tickets at Horner yesterday (Sep. 30)? Some cars parked at curbs had tickets; others didn't. Some cars parked in striped areas had tickets; others didn't. Hard to believe the cops ticketed so early that many other drivers parked illegally afterwards and escaped notice.

Posted By: southerngirl-nola
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 10:29am
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]What was the deal with tickets at Horner yesterday (Sep. 30)? Some cars parked at curbs had tickets; others didn't. Some cars parked in striped areas had tickets; others didn't. Hard to believe the cops ticketed so early that many other drivers parked illegally afterwards and escaped notice.

I got the answer to your question from Captin Rudy. Read my message of this morning.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 10:56am
Someone mentioned earlier about starting an effort to renew intrest in other lots. In another thread I was trying to promote parking at Potomac Mills in hopes of getting more people to go back to that lot. I think it's working slowly. I've seen more cars there and more slugs as well, and yes even for the DC line. So I suggest people just try it if they can, and if they're stuck waiting they can always go elsewhere and metro in. For those of you who really can't afford paying for a ride and have trouble parking at Horner, it's even more important for you to start spreading the word to get people to use other lots. Complaining does not lead to change, it takes committment and actual work. Gaining sympathy does not work either.

I was frustrated with Horner being I started work at 8:30 I went from having to park very far away to not finding spots at all. I tried Potomac and was amazed at how not many people use it even though it is a great alternate spot. A lot of people have the same mindset, that they dont trust a place because no one else will be there so they rather keep fighting at Horner than try to get others to go elsewhere. But more people are using Potomac Mills now because of the few dedicated slugs/drivers who keep the lines running even when they knew they could easily use Horner or might be inconvenienced once in a while. I have since changed my hours to 7:30 so I'm not sure how the lines run after 8 anymore, but I know even for the 7 AM crowd things have been picking up in the past weeks.

Posted By: Hornerbound
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 10:45pm
Calm down people... is this really something to get all bent out of shape over?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 10:27am
scarygreengiant: you life seems like such a hassle. you dont want to pay to ride, but you dont want to get to work early.. decisions, decisions. to ride for free sometimes requires sacrifice. sometimes you just cant have it all your way. maybe you should find a job closer to home.

Anyway, Enuf finger pointing. The volume of people at potomac mills lines has been picking up. DRIVERS: there were 3 slugs waiting at 810 this morning when I picked up. For those of you not sure where to go. see this link for a map:

Posted By: pablop
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 9:41am
If you get to the Horner Road Commuter Parking Lot late, as I sometimes do, you cannot park on the white diagonal lines or curbside. You will get a ticket! I got a ticket for parking by the curb.

You have to park in assigned spaces only. There are signs stating this when you first enter into the commuter parking lot. I personally think there needs to be more no parking signs within the lot warning drivers not to park here or there, but that would be a matter to take up with VDOT. Parking on white diagonal lines obviously means no parking, so don't do it if you don't want to receive a ticket.

I would recommend people either head out earlier OR start using alternate lots (e.g. Potomac Mills). You cannot fight the Prince William Police (Parking Enforcement Division) and expect to win IN THIS CASE.

Posted By: jacquie
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 4:41pm
Not to pour salt in this wound...but

Does anyone know WHY the Horner Road Lot just magically started filling an hour earlier than usual on or about 9/5/2004 ? Did we have a mass amount of hiskool dropouts suddenly find work for the feds ?

I am one of the unhappy Horner Road people that dislike the additional time it would take to get to another lot. I am opting for earlier and earlier arrival times. And BELIEVE ME this is a SACRIFICE.

-never a morning person

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 4:52pm
I assumed it had something to do with kids returning to school.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 11:19am
After ten years of slugging up 95, I can definitively say that the Tuesday after Labor Day is the start of the Stuck Here In Traffic season, or S**T Season. Each year, September brings more and more commuters to the road, the summer lull over, and we are being crowded in tighter and tighter each year.

But it's a funny pattern, because while the lots and the HOV lanes get more crowded after Labor Day, the regular lanes get emptier: fewer non-commuting vacationers is my hypothesis.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net