Print Page | Close Window

Recent Backups on the HOV

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1267
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Recent Backups on the HOV
Posted By: gsm
Subject: Recent Backups on the HOV
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 2:00pm
During the last couple of weeks I've noticed major backups/slowdowns on the HOV lanes, particularly in the mornings starting at Lorton and then again inside the beltway. Maybe a combination of the hybrids and new homes being built? No accidents reported. Just a comment, but I am noticing a huge # of hybrids and wonder how is it some folks say that they notice only a few. Any thoughts on what is causing these backups? I generally reach Lorton about 6:45a.m.

Replies:
Posted By: Geezehead
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 3:32pm
Hybrids - they are the reason - no more trying to fool ourselves

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 8:43pm
H

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 9:04pm
Here we go again. Complaining about the Hybrids. Lets just blame it on the Hybrids that are getting 50 MPG and not polluting the air. My wife and I commute to work everyday in our Hybrid and have to put up with the nasty looks on the highway, and several motorists issuing the three finger salute. I salute back accordingly often, only using a more conservative (one finger) salute. Stop moaning about the Hybrid Vehicles, because most of the anti hybrid comments derive from those gas guzzling SUV owners who have nothing else to complain about but their $50 a week gas bill. Never mind that this area is growing too fast for its underpants to fit anymore. Nevermind that there is an article in several newspapers (free lance star as one of them) talking about overcrowding in the commuter lots, and people being ticketed for parking illegally. I feel that I am doing commuters a service by not taking a precious parking spot at the Horner Road commuter lot. Well guess what ladies and gents, when they do say that Hybrids cant ride in HOV alone anymore, what do you think is going to happen?? Hmmmm? I would say that there will be just a few more parking spots takin in the lots, filled with hybrid owners who want to take the bus instead of picking up an absolute stranger in their cars. Better pack your Starbucks and commuter cups a little earlier when that day comes, because the lots will be full by 7am. Go ahead, and head over to your county supervisors office and ask for more parking spots. You will get a cold deer in the headlights stare, because of one reality: THE STATE IS BROKE.

We must not forget about the surrounding county's growth policy of scorched earth, building these huge half million dollar homes so close to one another, and inviting that 'tax base' without the a sustainable infrastructure of more roads and public transportation projects. So please, saying "hybrids are the reason" I think is someone who is fooled by his own ignorance.

See you at the gas pump.

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 8:05am
I loved that last comment, I really do think the Hybrids get too much negativity from sluggers that isn't deserved. Granted it'd be nice for them to utilize their passenger seats, but hey at least they're helping in other ways (environment vs. traffic). I just hope that these Hybrid owners won't trade their cars in when the HOV laws are removed in the upcoming years.

As for the recent crowdedness on HOV, I think it's not so much the Hybrids as it is possibly the new influx of residents in the area.

Reason #1: Hybrids have BEEN around for a while so why all of a sudden the surge?

Reason #2: Consider it is the new school year and that's when new residents tend to move to coincide with the enrollment.

Reason #3: Maybe people are getting wise and using the HOV lanes more, that is carpooling AND Hybrid options. Just some things to think about.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 9:45am
Hey, adjguy: Go Away. This forum is for Slugs. You are not a Slug. You are a Smug. You exemplify the anti-social me-first-and-me-only attitude of too many hybrid owners. If you are such a scaredy-cat, or a misanthrope (someone get him a dictionary) that you cannot participate in our Slugging Lifestyle ("hybrid owners who want to take the bus instead of picking up an absolute stranger in their cars") go start your own Forum of Smugs. Oh, I forgot: that would fail because the Smugs can't be induced to cooperate or help each other. Oh well.

If you don't want to slug or pick up slugs, why don't you form a carpool, or get on a bus. In the meantime, get off the SLUG forum.

And one final thing, Mr. Smug: the gross environmental impact of you driving 30+ miles essentially solo is worse than an SUV driver who parks their car and slugs. It's not just air pollution that needs to be part of the equation; there are ancillary environmental impacts inherent in the production, maintenance, and eventual disposal of any motorized vehicle. If your car is so non-polluting ("Hybrids that are getting 50 MPG and not polluting the air") I invite you to put your lips around the tailpipe for ten minutes, then try and repeat the statement. And is 50MPG all you get? Jeez, I regularly got 40MPG out of my old Honda Civic. Doesn't sound to me like your car does anything other than assuage your conscience.

Posted By: Geezehead
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 10:02am
adjguy - SpongeBob hit most of it but to add. Pick up someone else, then no one could give you the salute.

As to parking lots? Once the exemption is gone Hybrid drivers will still drive, just because of their self absorbed, egocentric attitude towards life. Thanks for not taking a parking spot. I don't take a spot either, but I pickup to bring my total to 3 people - again, if you accomplished this simple task you would be in compliance as well. Instead you insist on turning 95 into a parking lot.....

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 2:40pm
Well said Spongebob and Geeze!!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 3:48pm
Well Gang, you told me. You got me whimpering away with my tail between my legs. I failed to mention that I do slug 2 days per week from Horner to Rosylyn, take the metro from Roslyn to West Falls church, and the 28A or B bus from West falls church metro to Tysons Corner, and have been doing so for three years. I understand that the wording of my paragraph indicated "every day", it was not accurate. If I werent a slug, I wouldnt be wasting my time on this great website I am not anti slug, I am just tired of all of the complaining and the snear looks I get when I am in my Hybrid three days per week. I alternate with the wife to and from work.

Mr. Spongebob, I must comment on your articulate writing skills, espec. involving the name calling "smug". Very well thought out, and the Smug word, I couldnt have chosen a better one. You are obviously an intelligent and witty person, that I wouldnt want to tango with in a shouting match, so You I will definately avoid. I myself am a victim of the public school system, and am not nealy as well spoken as you.

Thank you all for the opportunity to speak on this forum. It is not every day that you get called names, but well worth the debate.

Geezhead, well I dont know what to say to you. I think you need to come back to reality. as for the "egocentric" word use, I will not dis-agree with you, I have been called worse. Congradulations on picking up the slugs everyday, I probably have riden with you at one point or another.

Sponge--As for the HOnda, I have one too. They are great cars. I own a civic DX coupe, 1995 white in color. look for it in the horner road lot tuesdays and Wed. Take care of it, it will not break.

Thanks again all. Happy motoring.

See you at the gas pump

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 8:28am
Gotta love civility! Now that we've all let out some steam, can we get back to solutions and not more bickering? My solution is to leave a bit earlier and expect some waiting on the HOV lane. Someone on another thread mentioned it's a pattern that the HOV lanes crowd up around the school year, so I'll have to tough it out until next summer.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 9:50am
Amen Sir!

[:D]

Posted By: Mit
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 1:02pm
Well adguy. The whole point of the HOV was to get more cars off the road, so your arguments are not on point, although I'm sure you will come back with something just as off point. P.S. You seem awfully angry and smug. Loosen up. I know. How about picking up some slugs and widening your horizons.

Posted By: RM
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 1:30pm
Allowing the hybrids on the HOV is just one other thing to add to the long list of bad decisions on the part of the State of Va. and the Feds agree, at least they did a couple years ago. I read an article a couple of years ago that the Feds (I believe it may have been the National Highway Safety Administration) informed VA that they would deny the state federal highway monies if they did not get the hybrids off the HOV lanes for the reason stated by MIT -that they do not meet the objective of the HOV - getting more vehicles off the road. The decision-makers seem to often lose sight of the big picture.

As for the back up, this is the first year that there has been a consistent back up in the HOV lanes. I can't even imagine what the HOV lanes are going to be like in even another year unless VA smartens up and gets rid of the ridiculous exceptions.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 2:51pm
Hey Mit, from one smug to another, thanks for your opinion and your positive approach to this whole problem, and I appreciate you respecting my opinion, and right to express it.

Did you miss the part where it said I too am a slugger and have been for years? Ive been "expanding my horizons" (other than my waist size) for some time now.

See you at the Gas pump

Posted By: Mit
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 3:22pm
You missed the point, but I'll take the blame 'cause I don't want to add to all that anger.

Posted By: gsm
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 3:33pm
Hear! Hear! I agree. VA has made it way to easy for the single drivers, including an early lifting of restrictions (6pm). Years ago it was 6:30pm and allowing them onto the HOV at Edsall Rd to go a few exits. (People say that it is because of the Springfield Interchange construction, but this was in effect waaaay before that started.) Letting the single drivers on at Edsall Rd.literally stops the HOV and the regular lanes are just zipping right along. Way to go VA. These decisions do NOT promote carpooling.

quote:
Originally posted by RM
[br]Allowing the hybrids on the HOV is just one other thing to add to the long list of bad decisions on the part of the State of Va. and the Feds agree, at least they did a couple years ago. I read an article a couple of years ago that the Feds (I believe it may have been the National Highway Safety Administration) informed VA that they would deny the state federal highway monies if they did not get the hybrids off the HOV lanes for the reason stated by MIT -that they do not meet the objective of the HOV - getting more vehicles off the road. The decision-makers seem to often lose sight of the big picture.

As for the back up, this is the first year that there has been a consistent back up in the HOV lanes. I can't even imagine what the HOV lanes are going to be like in even another year unless VA smartens up and gets rid of the ridiculous exceptions.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 9:04pm
Mit- you ever thought about going into comedy? LOL

Nope, dont want me to get angery here, I might type out another 250 word essay on this website.

Posted By: kgirl
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:32am
Phew...that was a wee bit tense.
I just don't see the point in getting irritated with a Hybrid driver. The Law said they could drive in there without picking up slugs. Whether or not you feel thats ok, take it up with the Law not the Hybrid driver. Pat yourself on the back as many times as you want, but they don't HAVE to pick anyone up. Besides, I've said it before, and I've seen it said by others, the exemption won't last long anyway.
BE NICE [:)]

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:41am
Anyone care to place a bet about the end of the exemption? [:p]

Really now, can you see VDOT pulling the tags off those cars, putting those vehicles either onto the regular lanes or into the commuter lots, or could you more easily imagine VDOT asking the Hybrid owners to, oh, I don't know, PAY A LITTLE MONEY into the state treasury to save their exemption? Say, an HOV usage fee of $100 a year?

Hmm. What would I do if I were in charge of VDOT....[}:)]

Posted By: elama
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:47am
I remember hearing something about this. Does anyone know how the State of Virginia responded to the Federal Government when they said that they would not give the state Federal money if they didn't get the hybrids off the HOV? First I heard that the hybrids have to be off the HOV in 2006 and then I heard that the exception has been extended.

quote:
Originally posted by RM
[br]Allowing the hybrids on the HOV is just one other thing to add to the long list of bad decisions on the part of the State of Va. and the Feds agree, at least they did a couple years ago. I read an article a couple of years ago that the Feds (I believe it may have been the National Highway Safety Administration) informed VA that they would deny the state federal highway monies if they did not get the hybrids off the HOV lanes for the reason stated by MIT -that they do not meet the objective of the HOV - getting more vehicles off the road. The decision-makers seem to often lose sight of the big picture.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:56am
Hey Spongebob:

Agreed. Great Idea.

Ussage fee to keep exemption. Now were on a right track. Any other Ideas out there?

Posted By: RM
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 12:02pm
elama: The article that I read did not say what VA's response was, but I figured the 2006 deadline was a positive response to the government, but if (if) they have extended it beyond 2006, oh brother...

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 12:03pm
But what would a meaningful usage fee be? $500? $1000? And wouldn't it be essentially a tollroad at that point? I was sorta kidding, my friend. It's my fear of the clever clowns of VDOT that keeps me awake at night. I'm going dressed as one on Halloween.

(BTW, I'm a public school man, too. [;)])

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 12:18pm
LOL. Amen!

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 3:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by gsm
[br]Hear! Hear! I agree. VA has made it way to easy for the single drivers, including an early lifting of restrictions (6pm). Years ago it was 6:30pm and allowing them onto the HOV at Edsall Rd to go a few exits. (People say that it is because of the Springfield Interchange construction, but this was in effect waaaay before that started.) Letting the single drivers on at Edsall Rd.literally stops the HOV and the regular lanes are just zipping right along. Way to go VA. These decisions do NOT promote carpooling.

It isn't because of the CONSTRUCTION; your point amply illustrates that. The official reason is that it's because of the small merge area between the Beltway and the Old Keene Mill/Franconia exit, which has been a snarl for years. VDOT says that the rationale for allowing all vehicles to use the Turkeycock Run entrance into the express lanes to bypass Springfield is that it is preferable to have a backup in the express lanes as opposed to having THREE more severe backups (I-395 and both loops of the Beltway) if all those cars had to stay in the regular lanes. The hardcore HOV crowd may resent it, but there is some logic to it.

The plans for the Springfield Interchange call for both eliminating this exemption and for closing the Turkeycock Run entrance to the express lanes once the construction is done in 2007 (the reason is that the merging I reference above will be eliminated when the work is done). Guess we'll see in three years.

Posted By: Sheepish
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 4:40pm
"The plans for the Springfield Interchange call for both eliminating this exemption and for closing the Turkeycock Run entrance to the express lanes once the construction is done in 2007 (the reason is that the merging I reference above will be eliminated when the work is done). Guess we'll see in three years."

Ok, so I don't want to get all hyped up about something that may or may not happen, but knowing that VDOT officials periodically monitor these discussions.....there is no valid reason to close this entrance once construction is completed. All that needs to change is enforcement of HOV-3 rules at that entrance point. If that means radio announcements, newspaper articles, and signage to get the Springfield crowd to understand the change, then fine. There are just too many that carpool from just inside the beltway and benefit from that entrance point.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net