Print Page | Close Window

Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1344
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:10am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE
Posted By: Uhura
Subject: Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 9:05am

Vehicle description: Mitsubishi SUV, not quite gold and not quite silver, female driver, VA tags.

The seat belt in the back doesn't work & the door can only be opened from the outside.

The stage: Dark morning, heavy rain.

This particular driver watched me trying to put the seatbelt on for about FIVE entire minutes with no success and said nothing. Finally, I asked her, "Is there something wrong with this seatbelt?" She said, "Yes-it doesn't work." & then mumbled something about how her husband tried to fix it. How does that help me if, God forbid, we get into a car accident??? I would have left her car had I known, but we were already on the highway.

So, I ask her if I could move the car seat & use that seatbelt. She said, "Yes." So I put it in the trunk area/back and moved over. This seat belt was not functioning too well. While I was struggling with it she asked if there was a bottle in the car seat. I told her that I didn't notice. (It was early, so it was still dark in the car.) She JERKED the car onto the shoulder and got out. I thought she stopped to help me with the seat belt that I was still struggling with. She went to the trunk area/back and checked the car seat for the bottle!

She got back in, apologized to the passenger in the front (God only knows why), and JERKED the car back into traffic just as I got the seatbelt on. She then reached back and began to feel my calf (accidentally I’m sure.) She asked, “Where is my purse.” I picked it up and handed it to her. (I wonder what that was about…hmmmm.)

When we got to my destination, I tried to open the door and exit but –surprise! I couldn’t get out. She opened the window & rain came shooting in on me. After a few seconds, she said, “You have to open it from the outside.” I said, “Never mind, I’ll just scoot over and be on my way. Thanks.”

As a former driver I am confident in making the following statement:

Drivers should make sure that they don't place their passengers in unnecessary danger.

Also, wearing a seatbelt is not only the LAW-- many times it is the difference between life and death.

Lastly (and perhaps not as important) I think I have been a passenger with this young lady before-in the summer. The AC didn’t work but she turned it on anyway, and it was blowing hot air. She fiddled with it during the entire ride. I was seated in the front and the window was open. I told her not to worry about it and that it was probably just the Freon. I was grateful for the free ride and thought nothing of it at the time.

Live Long and Prosper

Replies:
Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 9:38am
I'm sure the door just had the child safety on so you can't open it from the inside, but other than that........

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 9:39am
Thanks, Uhura. Where does she pick up? To which destination? I want to avoid this one.

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]

Vehicle description: Mitsubishi SUV, not quite gold and not quite silver, female driver, VA tags.

The seat belt in the back doesn't work & the door can only be opened from the outside.

The stage: Dark morning, heavy rain.

This particular driver watched me trying to put the seatbelt on for about FIVE entire minutes with no success and said nothing. Finally, I asked her, "Is there something wrong with this seatbelt?" She said, "Yes-it doesn't work." & then mumbled something about how her husband tried to fix it. How does that help me if, God forbid, we get into a car accident??? I would have left her car had I known, but we were already on the highway.

So, I ask her if I could move the car seat & use that seatbelt. She said, "Yes." So I put it in the trunk area/back and moved over. This seat belt was not functioning too well. While I was struggling with it she asked if there was a bottle in the car seat. I told her that I didn't notice. (It was early, so it was still dark in the car.) She JERKED the car onto the shoulder and got out. I thought she stopped to help me with the seat belt that I was still struggling with. She went to the trunk area/back and checked the car seat for the bottle!

She got back in, apologized to the passenger in the front (God only knows why), and JERKED the car back into traffic just as I got the seatbelt on. She then reached back and began to feel my calf (accidentally I’m sure.) She asked, “Where is my purse.” I picked it up and handed it to her. (I wonder what that was about…hmmmm.)

When we got to my destination, I tried to open the door and exit but –surprise! I couldn’t get out. She opened the window & rain came shooting in on me. After a few seconds, she said, “You have to open it from the outside.” I said, “Never mind, I’ll just scoot over and be on my way. Thanks.”

As a former driver I am confident in making the following statement:

Drivers should make sure that they don't place their passengers in unnecessary danger.

Also, wearing a seatbelt is not only the LAW-- many times it is the difference between life and death.

Lastly (and perhaps not as important) I think I have been a passenger with this young lady before-in the summer. The AC didn’t work but she turned it on anyway, and it was blowing hot air. She fiddled with it during the entire ride. I was seated in the front and the window was open. I told her not to worry about it and that it was probably just the Freon. I was grateful for the free ride and thought nothing of it at the time.

Live Long and Prosper

Sounds like you were over reacting.

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:02am
I am going to have to side with Uhura on this one. I quietly disagree with most of Uhura's vents. However, this one is not a vent, but a true safety issue. Too many people carelessly care for their passengers. From the standpoint of personal liability, in the event something tragic were to happen, the guilty party would likely find themselves as an uninsured motorist as the result of a dead or severaly injured passenger. I can't tell you how many times I've had to put up with the child safety lock issue -- it is a pain. Configure one side of your car for slugs and the other for passengers. If essential safety equipment is broken (seat belt): FIX IT!! After enduring an 80 MPH ride from 234 to Pentagon on wet roads in a little rattle trap with bald tires, my nerves are a bit raw.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:13am
I'm sure the door just had the child safety on so you can't open it from the inside, but other than that........

How can you be "sure" about that?
----------------
I mean, can't child safety locks be disengaged with the push of a button? Mine can. + Truthfully, with the condition of this vehicle, I'll wager that it was simply one item on the long list of repairs needed.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:16am
From tri2dc: Sounds like you were over reacting.

-----

Really, in what way? Which reaction was "overboard":
1) ensuring that I- like the driver and the other passenger- was wearing a seatbelt,
2) the manner in which I exited the vehicle
or
3) the fact that I posted a warning on this site?

Just curious...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:19am

I am going to have to side with Uhura on this one. I quietly disagree with most of Uhura's vents. However, this one is not a vent, but a true safety issue. Too many people carelessly care for their passengers. From the standpoint of personal liability, in the event something tragic were to happen, the guilty party would likely find themselves as an uninsured motorist as the result of a dead or severaly injured passenger. I can't tell you how many times I've had to put up with the child safety lock issue -- it is a pain. Configure one side of your car for slugs and the other for passengers. If essential safety equipment is broken (seat belt): FIX IT!! After enduring an 80 MPH ride from 234 to Pentagon on wet roads in a little rattle trap with bald tires, my nerves are a bit raw.

Make no mistake-it was a vent, my friend.

BTW-I do not think that this was a child safety lock issue. The vehicle is close to "junker" status. The body looks OK, but there are so many things not working on the inside that one has to wonder...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:20am
From Jigga: Thanks, Uhura. Where does she pick up? To which destination? I want to avoid this one.

-------

Jigga, today, she picked up @ Horner Road. Today's destination: Crystal City.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:31am
Good to remind all drivers that you are responsible for your passengers. If there is an accident, the driver would be liable for any injuries suffered by the passengers, even if someone else was at fault. (Check with insurance company over the summer when I started picking up slugs.)

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 10:58am
How can I be sure? Most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature. The last three cars I've had do. My point is that I don't think the door was broken, not that you're vent was unwarranted. I'd definitely not ride with her again considering what she did.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 11:43am
From MDC: How can I be sure? Most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature. The last three cars I've had do. My point is that I don't think the door was broken, not that you're vent was unwarranted. I'd definitely not ride with her again considering what she did.
-------

MDc-what you said proved my point: You said "most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature." Bingo! If the door was not broken why would she have to roll the window down & tell me to reach outside & open the door (and then go even further & begin to get out of the car herself to open the door for me)?

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: pplmvrs
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 12:05pm
Thanks for the warning. I don't think you were over reacting. I don't know where that comment came from

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 1:00pm
Why Uhura? The lever can't be reached when the door is closed. You must open the door from the outside, then the lever is exposed on the side of the door. Since I haven't seen every model of every make, I didn't make an absolute statement.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 1:01pm
quote:
MDc-what you said proved my point: You said "most, if not all, have a lever on the door to engage/disengage the feature." Bingo! If the door was not broken why would she have to roll the window down & tell me to reach outside & open the door (and then go even further & begin to get out of the car herself to open the door for me)?

Live Long and Prosper

Usually the lever is on the rear door jamb, however, so the door would have to be opened to disengage the lock. I'm not excusing the person, just noting that many cars don't allow this to be disengaged from the inside precisely because they don't want kids getting at the switch.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 1:02pm
quote:

It's only the law in the front seat, and the driver cannot be ticketed if a front-seat passenger over age 16 is not wearing a seat belt (the ticket must go to the passenger). That's no excuse for not having a working one in the back, though.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 2:10pm
From USA: It's only the law in the front seat, and the driver cannot be ticketed if a front-seat passenger over age 16 is not wearing a seat belt (the ticket must go to the passenger). That's no excuse for not having a working one in the back, though.

USA-thanks for your reply but you got the story only 75% right:

The law basically states that everyone in a vehicle used on the highway must wear a restraint or seat belt properly fitted and fastened. There is a distinction made for “primary” and “secondary” seat belt violations. Law enforcement officers may stop a vehicle and issue a citation for a primary violation, but not for a secondary violation. In With a secondary violation, there must be another reason for stopping the vehicle before a citation can be issued for non-use or improper use of restraints or seat belts.

The driver is responsible for the safety of all passengers in the vehicle and for restraining all children age 16 and under, any passenger age 16 years or older is also held responsible for their own seat belt use.

See, the law enforcement officer could give the driver a citation or the over 16 passenger a citation. But-my concern was not for citations, it was for my safety. I am simply unwilling to ride in a vehicle without a seatbelt on-especially on a dark & rainy morning.

Either way-homegirl should just get the seat belt fixed. Period.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 2:14pm
Virginia Law: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC4602000

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: Dhacim
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2004 at 4:41pm
Uhura....your awesome. Thanks for the tip! What would we all do without you?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 10:12am
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

Usually the lever is on the rear door jamb, however, so the door would have to be opened to disengage the lock. I'm not excusing the person, just noting that many cars don't allow this to be disengaged from the inside precisely because they don't want kids getting at the switch.

USA-Apparently this particular vehicle doesn't come with child safety locks: http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2000/vmd712ft.html

Besides-and, as you said earlier but are appearing to backtrack on it now-Most cars that have this feature have a button that allows the driver to control the situation. If hers was fully functional, she would not have started to exit the vehicle in order to let me out.

Again, all evidence suggests that she had many many many things wrong with this vehicle which is her business; however, expecting a passenger to "opt out" of a seat belt was not right.

I'm willing to let this go, but if you are uanble to admit that your original statement was (ahem) a little off-base and you want to continue picking gnat poop out of pepper-I'm game.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: SaltyDog
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 10:58am
Someone might also mention that cars are required by law to have seat belts in the back of a length to accomodate passengers of less than 215 lbs. So some back seat belts won't fit, especially if you are packing a lot up front or when wearing winter coats. Hondas are really bad about this, as are a lot of imports.

I recently had a gentleman inform me I would no longer be allowed to ride in his car because I could not snap the seatbelt in the back. Obviously he never had learned that the law only covers the front seat.

Of course, if the belt will stretch, you should always use it, front or back! As for the child safety feature, I've never minded having to be let out, it's a minor convenience for getting home faster....

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 11:45am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Why Uhura? The lever can't be reached when the door is closed. You must open the door from the outside, then the lever is exposed on the side of the door. Since I haven't seen every model of every make, I didn't make an absolute statement.

I found out that this particular vehicle doesn't have child afety locks:
http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2000/vmd712ft.html

Anyway, I don't care that I had to scoot over to get out. I mentioned it, along w/the AC isue to drive the point home that this person was driving a vehicle that was getting pretty close to junker status.

+ You are getting far away from the main point: There should have been functioning seat belts in the vehicle. Care to argue with that-or were you just looking to start an argument period?

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyDog
[br]

I recently had a gentleman inform me I would no longer be allowed to ride in his car because I could not snap the seatbelt in the back. Obviously he never had learned that the law only covers the front seat.

Law or no law, in my car, everyone buckles up. I have never had anyone refuse. If someone does, I'll simply pull over to the side of the road and sit there for as long as it takes. If I have an accident, I wouldn't want the front seat passenger to play sandwich with my airbags and the rear seat person slamming into them.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 10:04am
Why wouldn't you want to put your seatbelt on in the back seat?

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 11:02am
I think I would've been just as concerned in the actions of the driven, pulling over to check for a bottle, and freaking over a pocket book, as much as the broken door and seatbelt. I believe seatbelts should be worn in the front seat, and optional in the back, but in the same respect, available and functional for the rider, for them to make the choice.

:'}

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 12:24pm
Wow, Just seems to me people in the NOVA/DC area can always find something to complain about. With slugging comes risks as everything in life. Why, why, why complain? Safety Issue or not. As there are hundreds of thousands of people in the area and counting - there are just as many ways to do things. Ones who complain about smells, trash, or seatbelts not working in cars really need to start driving themselves or taking the bus. Maybe you could sue the bus company for seatbelts not working. But this is an all volunteer slugging system. Slugging is a great way to commute. Quit your b!tching.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 1:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Wow, Just seems to me people in the NOVA/DC area can always find something to complain about. With slugging comes risks as everything in life. Why, why, why complain? Safety Issue or not. As there are hundreds of thousands of people in the area and counting - there are just as many ways to do things. Ones who complain about smells, trash, or seatbelts not working in cars really need to start driving themselves or taking the bus. Maybe you could sue the bus company for seatbelts not working. But this is an all volunteer slugging system. Slugging is a great way to commute. Quit your b!tching.

"B!tching"-about not having the option to wear a seatbelt? You can't possibly be serious. BAZ-Since you are clearly unfamiliar with the laws of physics in this universe, you may do well to visit this URL: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/seatbelt.htm

Trust me-it's explained in EXTREMELY simple terms.

Happy Reading!

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 1:38pm
Pretty boring web site. But Im sure you could print it out and give it to the people while you SAFELY ride on the bus. Try being a little less "I want everyone to be like me" and live a little. Havent you ever "borrowed" a towel from a hotel? Walked when the sign says Don't Walk? Try taking a walk on the wild side. If you think because you wrote a little note about this persons seat belt not working is going to make them run to the Exxon and get it fixed - youre sadly mistaken.

Forget Horner Road - Take the bus. (They have working seatbelts)

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 2:26pm
Sounds like Baz has a stick up his A$$. So what part of the world are you from, since you think that you are so high and mighty to judge the NOVA/DC people?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 2:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Pretty boring web site. But Im sure you could print it out and give it to the people while you SAFELY ride on the bus. Try being a little less "I want everyone to be like me" and live a little. Havent you ever "borrowed" a towel from a hotel? Walked when the sign says Don't Walk? Try taking a walk on the wild side. If you think because you wrote a little note about this persons seat belt not working is going to make them run to the Exxon and get it fixed - youre sadly mistaken.

Forget Horner Road - Take the bus. (They have working seatbelts)

Facts about preventing death in a motor vehicle are boring? Wow.

Yes-I walk on the wild side occasionally; however, I do have allot to live for, so I avoid riding in a vehicle where I cannot wear a seat belt if I can.

The point of my "little note" was to warn others not to get her to make repairs. She probably isn't going to fix it, & that's the point. Homegirl kept quiet about the seat belt so I couldn't change my mind about riding with her. If I had known prior to departure-believe me-I would have left her vehicle and got into the next one (as I am sure many riders would have done...)

Sorry, Baz. I'll continue slugging AND I'll continue to have reasonable expectations about safety and courtesy. Functioning seat belts are definitely on the list of what is reasonable.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 2:47pm
I wasnt judging the NOVA/DC people in general. Just the ones who want to complain about slugging in general. Anyway, I'm sure that driver would have gladly let you off anywhere along the HOV lanes if you thought your life was really in that much danger. Hint (thats probably why you were getting a bad attitude from her). But Im sure the next complaint would have been a lack of sidewalks along the HOV lanes for "Emergencies" like yours.
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence"

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 3:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]I wasnt judging the NOVA/DC people in general. Just the ones who want to complain about slugging in general. Anyway, I'm sure that driver would have gladly let you off anywhere along the HOV lanes if you thought your life was really in that much danger. Hint (thats probably why you were getting a bad attitude from her). But Im sure the next complaint would have been a lack of sidewalks along the HOV lanes for "Emergencies" like yours.
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence"

Safety first-and remember:

Common sense is the measure of the possible; it is composed of experience and prevision; it is calculation applied to life.
--Henri-Frederic Amiel

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: P8R10TZ
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 4:18pm
My favorite...

"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something."

--Plato

[;)]

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 4:46pm
Uhura, I agree with your point that seatbelts should be working front and rear for the sake of safety. Obviously, a car won't pass the safety inspection if the front seatbelts don't work, but I don't believe the rears seatbelts need to be available. However, with the use of seatbelts being more universal and often cited as a major reason for injuries and fatalities in car crashes, most people expect working seatbelts in the rear.

IMHO, I think you could have made your point without embellishing it with other minor points and incidents.

Goober

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 9:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by goober
[br]Uhura, I agree with your point that seatbelts should be working front and rear for the sake of safety. Obviously, a car won't pass the safety inspection if the front seatbelts don't work, but I don't believe the rears seatbelts need to be available. However, with the use of seatbelts being more universal and often cited as a major reason for injuries and fatalities in car crashes, most people expect working seatbelts in the rear.

IMHO, I think you could have made your point without embellishing it with other minor points and incidents.

Goober

LOL-Some of the folks here are simply AMAZING.

Please be sure to complain to Admin about the fact that I EMBELLISHED the main point with minor points & incidents.

My honest opinion is this: fu$k you.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 9:21am
why does everyone have such a problem with Uhura wanting seatbelts in the back seat that work? I'm a little confused. If I were a rider, I would want my seatbelt to work, as I'm sure all of you would. I don't think it sounds like a good time to go flying over the front passenger seat if we were in an accident. That is just me though and hope that this post is not considered an embellishment of the main point with minor points and incidents. GEESH

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 9:51am
quote:
Originally posted by pplmvrs
[br]why does everyone have such a problem with Uhura wanting seatbelts in the back seat that work? I'm a little confused. If I were a rider, I would want my seatbelt to work, as I'm sure all of you would. I don't think it sounds like a good time to go flying over the front passenger seat if we were in an accident. That is just me though and hope that this post is not considered an embellishment of the main point with minor points and incidents. GEESH

Pplmvrs, I don't think that the problem is with the message-I think it's with the messenger: Apparently, I have stepped on a few soft toes here, with my witty way of expressing myself (LOL) and so the saga continues each time I post to the web site. Honestly, I could say something like "Slugging is great!" & some people here would take issue with "the way it was said."

Some background if you're bored: "People" have contacted Admin complaining about me (whether or not it's the same person using different screen names to amplify the point is in question.) Also, I have invited Admin to make the nature of these complaints known to me so that I could stop doing whatever I am doing that is so offensive. No response yet. In addition, "people" even had the nerve to spoof Admin and start a thread telling others to stop responding to my comments. The real Admin deleted this thread. I started a thread inviting my "fans" to let it all out, and I did not get one valid comment about what it was that I supposedly did to offend everyone. Just more name calling and toddler tantrums. Admin deleted that thread as well. Oh well.

I believe the complaints to be invalid since I have never violated the user agreement, and again- I am really interested in seeing exactly what these complaints are.

The simple truth is that I refuse to be cyberbullied, and someone got upset. Then, a few "joiners" joined in. They tried everything from telling me to "shut up and stop posting to the site" to sending me personal emails. Bandwagoneering /mobbing is definitely not dead.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: protocol
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 10:32am
My problem is consistency. Uhura once derided someone for his not being "internet savvy" (saying "email" when he meant "posting in a forum") yet she appears to be unable to simply Reply to messages without quoting the entire message every time. It takes up unnecessary space and is quite annoying to read.

Posted By: kgirl
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 10:51am
Again, lots of complaining, but where is the action. I think its completely reasonable to expect a safe ride, including working seatbelts. But, what exactly do you accomplish by "venting" and arguing with all these people who don't own that particular unsafe car? All you would have had to do is mention to the driver your opinion that you believe that if they are going to pick up passengers they should probably ensure that the seatbelts work properly, or at least inform riders, prior to getting into a vehicle, that they do not work. How hard is that? You said your piece, the driver can do with it what they want, done. I was assuming that we are all adults. And, if you did do your piece and tell the driver your opinion, and wanted to inform slugs of a vehicle with unsafe conditions, fine, great, but why argue about the issue?
I'm pretty sure that Admin's vision for the purpose of this site was to help inform slugs and give new and veteran slugs a place for Q&A, etc.
So, post the make and model of the car, what you believe to be the issue with it, and be done.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 11:17am
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Wow, Just seems to me people in the NOVA/DC area can always find something to complain about. With slugging comes risks as everything in life. Why, why, why complain? Safety Issue or not. As there are hundreds of thousands of people in the area and counting - there are just as many ways to do things. Ones who complain about smells, trash, or seatbelts not working in cars really need to start driving themselves or taking the bus. Maybe you could sue the bus company for seatbelts not working. But this is an all volunteer slugging system. Slugging is a great way to commute. Quit your b!tching.

Genius my friend...Simply brilliant. I could not have said it better myself.

Posted By: NoNo
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 11:21am
I'm sorry, I am not comfortable if I don't have a working seatbelt. If you've never been in an accident, its pretty easy to comment, but I will leave a car without a working back seatbelt. I wouldn't expect others to ride in my car if the back belts didn't work.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 12:20pm

Wow-I was wondering when someone would go "RACIAL." But -alas, you have tried and failed once again, RoadRunner.

Whatsthematter-Did I strike a nerve?

Why are you "noticing" what I do in the first place if my 15 minutes of fame are up?

I did that to let Admin know that my account and my ability to post should NOT be affected by CYBERBULLIES, WHINERS, and BANDWAGONEERS such as yourself.

Have a wonderful day.

PS-Recall the original point: No one should expect a passenger to ride with them without the option of using a seat belt.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 12:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by protocol
[br]My problem is consistency. Uhura once derided someone for his not being "internet savvy" (saying "email" when he meant "posting in a forum") yet she appears to be unable to simply Reply to messages without quoting the entire message every time. It takes up unnecessary space and is quite annoying to read.

Get annoyed, and get over it.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 12:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by kgirl
[br]Again, lots of complaining, but where is the action. I think its completely reasonable to expect a safe ride, including working seatbelts. But, what exactly do you accomplish by "venting" and arguing with all these people who don't own that particular unsafe car? All you would have had to do is mention to the driver your opinion that you believe that if they are going to pick up passengers they should probably ensure that the seatbelts work properly, or at least inform riders, prior to getting into a vehicle, that they do not work. How hard is that? You said your piece, the driver can do with it what they want, done. I was assuming that we are all adults. And, if you did do your piece and tell the driver your opinion, and wanted to inform slugs of a vehicle with unsafe conditions, fine, great, but why argue about the issue?
I'm pretty sure that Admin's vision for the purpose of this site was to help inform slugs and give new and veteran slugs a place for Q&A, etc.
So, post the make and model of the car, what you believe to be the issue with it, and be done.

Pardon me-but the "action" was in the title and original post. I posted this as a warning. The usual suspects attempted to jump on that warning & pick, pick, pick. Who actually started this "argument?"

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 12:39pm
quote:
[br]My problem is consistency. Uhura once derided someone for his not being "internet savvy" (saying "email" when he meant "posting in a forum") yet she appears to be unable to simply Reply to messages without quoting the entire message every time. It takes up unnecessary space and is quite annoying to read.

LOL-your problem is allot more than that!

I "derided" someone for confusing email with a forum? Wow-and you remembered too... How flattering. SMH

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 12:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]No one going "RACIAL" here--merely comparing you to someone who just won't go away whether it be on TV or slug-lines.com. So excuse yourself.

Yoohoo, where's my lunch date?

Right...like "Omorosa" IS NOT a racial remark.
What on earth was I thinking?

You are correct though-I am not going away until I feel like it. Once again, I have not violated the user agreement and I therefore have every right to be here.

My "crime" is disagreeing with you a few months back.

I guess I'll have to accept the fact that you are going to follow me from discussion to discussion, analyzing what I say, how I say it, making negative comments about me. Oh well...

Three words:

Bring

It

On

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 1:11pm
I don't think omorosa is a racial remark. Preaching by example, the title of this topic is...a safety issue.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 1:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I don't think omorosa is a racial remark. Preaching by example, the title of this topic is...a safety issue.

Emancilla, I am glad to see that you have changed you M.O.-Yes, you are correct. We have gotten extremely off topic. This has turned into the I'll Bash Uhura-Uhura Defends Herself thread.

A concern for safety was my motivation for posting the warning-esp since the driver seemed to have deliberately kept quiet about the seat belt until we were well on our way.

I wanted everyone to be warned. That is all.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 1:30pm
that is all.
(we can only hope) [^]

Posted By: ScarletLSG
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 1:33pm
Quick Question Uhura,

WHAT kind of job do you hold that allows you the freedom to post ALL day long? I'm blown away, because I come to this site to read and gain legitimate information regarding slugging and HOV. I stop by every few days, during a lunch or coffee break and then have to sift through countless posts from you. I did a five minute exercise and found that in the past 24 hours -- mostly business hours -- you've posted over 15 times ... sometimes very lengthy commentary ... and the number was increasing as I was counting.

I know that you believe that you're doing nothing "wrong" in the strictest sense of the word. But for those of use that don't have as much time as you, I would ask kindly that you just post the necessary information as it regards to slugging and HOV. Additionally, though it is a 'feature' of the site, the "reply with quotes" feature adds to the mess the rest of us need to wade through to get to the meat of what could be an informative post. Again, I would ask that you consider those of us with less time than yourself. Keeping with the essence of the slugging community, we all need to be considerate of others. I would ask that you take this request under consideration and perhaps act accordingly.

ScarletLSG

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 3:06pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]I don't think omorosa is a racial remark. Preaching by example, the title of this topic is...a safety issue.

Emancilla, I am glad to see that you have changed you M.O.-Yes, you are correct. We have gotten extremely off topic. This has turned into the I'll Bash Uhura-Uhura Defends Herself thread.

A concern for safety was my motivation for posting the warning-esp since the driver seemed to have deliberately kept quiet about the seat belt until we were well on our way.

Live Long and Prosper

Uhura, I hope that you change your attitude too.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 3:58pm
WOW! I can't believe how much animosity there is! We are way off topic. This is supposed to be about passenger safety.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 6:56pm
quote:
[br]See, the law enforcement officer could give the driver a citation or the over 16 passenger a citation. But-my concern was not for citations, it was for my safety. I am simply unwilling to ride in a vehicle without a seatbelt on-especially on a dark & rainy morning.

I haven't been on here in a few days and only now saw your reply. You are incorrect on the ticket--a driver cannot be ticketed for an over-16 front-seat passenger not wearing a seatbelt. I can say this from personal experience because Miss Piggy gave me such a ticket in Charlottesville once and I went to court and got it thrown out.

Moreover, the law applies to the FRONT seats only (except for child restraints in the back as appropriate). I refer you to Va. Code sec. 46.2-1094. Paragraph A provides: "Each person at least sixteen years of age and occupying the front seat of a motor vehicle equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices, shall wear the appropriate safety belt system at all times while the motor vehicle is in motion on any public highway. A child under the age of sixteen years, however, shall be protected as required by the provisions of this chapter."

The law that states that you can be ticketed for passengers under 16 is section 46.2-1095(B): "Any person transporting any child less than sixteen years old, except for those required pursuant to subsection A to be secured in a child restraint device, shall ensure that such child is provided with and properly secured by an appropriate safety belt system when driving on the highways of Virginia in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices."

......NOW, I am not saying that you are wrong to refuse a ride where there is no seat belt. I would do so too. I feel naked without one. Actually on Sunday I was riding in the back seat of a cab in New York and I didn't have a seat belt on (don't know why I didn't put it on, I just didn't) and it was rather scary given how aggressive the cabbies are! My point is simply that your assertions about the law were incorrect.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:
[br]See, the law enforcement officer could give the driver a citation or the over 16 passenger a citation. But-my concern was not for citations, it was for my safety. I am simply unwilling to ride in a vehicle without a seatbelt on-especially on a dark & rainy morning.

I haven't been on here in a few days and only now saw your reply. You are incorrect on the ticket--a driver cannot be ticketed for an over-16 front-seat passenger not wearing a seatbelt. I can say this from personal experience because Miss Piggy gave me such a ticket in Charlottesville once and I went to court and got it thrown out.

Moreover, the law applies to the FRONT seats only (except for child restraints in the back as appropriate). I refer you to Va. Code sec. 46.2-1094. Paragraph A provides: "Each person at least sixteen years of age and occupying the front seat of a motor vehicle equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices, shall wear the appropriate safety belt system at all times while the motor vehicle is in motion on any public highway. A child under the age of sixteen years, however, shall be protected as required by the provisions of this chapter."

The law that states that you can be ticketed for passengers under 16 is section 46.2-1095(B): "Any person transporting any child less than sixteen years old, except for those required pursuant to subsection A to be secured in a child restraint device, shall ensure that such child is provided with and properly secured by an appropriate safety belt system when driving on the highways of Virginia in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices."

......NOW, I am not saying that you are wrong to refuse a ride where there is no seat belt. I would do so too. I feel naked without one. Actually on Sunday I was riding in the back seat of a cab in New York and I didn't have a seat belt on (don't know why I didn't put it on, I just didn't) and it was rather scary given how aggressive the cabbies are! My point is simply that your assertions about the law were incorrect.

((Yawn)) Ok-you win. Is this over now?

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]Quick Question Uhura,

WHAT kind of job do you hold that allows you the freedom to post ALL day long? I'm blown away, because I come to this site to read and gain legitimate information regarding slugging and HOV. I stop by every few days, during a lunch or coffee break and then have to sift through countless posts from you. I did a five minute exercise and found that in the past 24 hours -- mostly business hours -- you've posted over 15 times ... sometimes very lengthy commentary ... and the number was increasing as I was counting.

I know that you believe that you're doing nothing "wrong" in the strictest sense of the word. But for those of use that don't have as much time as you, I would ask kindly that you just post the necessary information as it regards to slugging and HOV. Additionally, though it is a 'feature' of the site, the "reply with quotes" feature adds to the mess the rest of us need to wade through to get to the meat of what could be an informative post. Again, I would ask that you consider those of us with less time than yourself. Keeping with the essence of the slugging community, we all need to be considerate of others. I would ask that you take this request under consideration and perhaps act accordingly.

ScarletLSG

I am a 350 lb house wife with nothing to do all day, you? Also, I think and type rather quickly.

Sorry you feel forced to "sift" through hundreds of my posts. I;ll try to keep it down for your sake.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:51pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

Uhura, I hope that you change your attitude too.

I may. But if people keep attacking me, what kind of response should you expect? Think about it--I posted a warning about safety & the haters couldn't help themselves. You may have noticed that I only respond when provoked.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: protocol
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 7:54am
Nice job posting the whole thread yet again. Thanks.
And here's a revolutionary new idea for you: DON'T respond to posts that provoke you. Rise above. Be bigger. Turn the other cheek and all that and allow us to return this board to its purpose: HELPING PEOPLE. If you feel you have been wronged, so what? Very few people on this board actually know others here IRL, so just shrug the "insults" off.

Posted By: uhura2
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 9:15am
quote:
[br]Nice job posting the whole thread yet again. Thanks.
And here's a revolutionary new idea for you: DON'T respond to posts that provoke you. Rise above. Be bigger. Turn the other cheek and all that and allow us to return this board to its purpose: HELPING PEOPLE. If you feel you have been wronged, so what? Very few people on this board actually know others here IRL, so just shrug the "insults" off.

Protocol, I think you are correct about this: Perhaps if the ignorant comments are ignored, they will eventually stop.

I will also formally ask the usual suspects to STOP and "turn the other cheek" as well. Clearly the embittered responses are due to past "insults" (real or imagined), because a simple post about safety and wearing seatbelts does not warrant this type of response.

Have a great day.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 12:23pm
WTF??? Did they kick you off and you started over? Or is this yet another spoof?

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 12:51pm
You know, if people didnt just go off and start with Uhura, there would be no problem, instead everyone has to take her remarks too damn serious and then go off topic, I have been guilty of this myself. EVERY ONE NEEDS TO GROW THE HECK UP!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 1:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]WTF??? Did they kick you off and you started over? Or is this yet another spoof?

Bingo!

Be warned: On this forum if enough people target you, your abitlity to post will be "adjusted" or you will try to log on one day & be unable to.

Mobbing/bullying/bandwagoneering is a very effective tool in some environments...

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 3:51pm
quote:

No offense, Uhura, but you purported to "correct" me and then posted incorrect information, so I simply wanted to set the record straight. I haven't got anything against you and I don't believe I've leveled any ad hominem attacks. I even said that I agree overall with your original point, so your snippiness puzzles me.

With that said, this thread seems to have devolved. I suggest the Administrator lock it.

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 2:54pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

yea, what she said

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 2:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

yea, what she said

This "uhura." is a spoof!!!!

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2004 at 6:04am
quote:
Originally posted by uhura2
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

yea, what she said

ha ha

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2004 at 9:21am
I am so confused. Why is someone else using Uhura? I think people can get really mean on this site

Posted By: MissUhuraAlwaysWins
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2004 at 1:53pm
Okay, enough already! Go away! I win. You lose. ha ha ha

I always win!

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2004 at 7:07am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by uhura2
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

yea, what she said

ha ha

No, No! Uhura alwys wins

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2004 at 7:07am
Well, since it looks like you're pretty much debating/playing with yourself "uhura, uhura.,uhura2", ect... its pretty hard to lose don't you think?? we're all very proud of you (s).

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2004 at 8:59am
..... and deliver us from Evil. [;)]

Posted By: JDivine
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:37am
In Maryland and the District of Columbia, the seat belt law is a primary offense; in Virginia, it is a secondary offense.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 12:26pm
A primary offense to get pulled over by police to not have your seatbelt on in the back seat??

Posted By: JDivine
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 2:49pm
I don't think so. What I found did not specify, but I believe the offense refers to front seat belts only. I would think the "plain view" rule would apply here, and I think an officer would be hard-pressed to argue that the back seat of a vehicle is in "plain view" while driving along at 65 mph even with a partner. We need a traffic cop from each jurisdiction to respond.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 9:56am
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]A primary offense to get pulled over by police to not have your seatbelt on in the back seat??

In DC, it is indeed, at least for the front seat--the cops sometimes set up "seatbelt checkpoints" (similar to sobriety checkpoints, without all the flashing lights and roadblocks) and pull people over. I've seen it happen on Connecticut Avenue between K and L. I don't know if DC has a law on back-seat passengers

In Virginia it emphatically is not a primary offense--check the statutes I posted previously (I omitted that portion as irrelevant). There is NO law requiring adult rear-seat passengers to wear seatbelts in Virginia.

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2004 at 2:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
Originally posted by Baz
In Virginia it emphatically is not a primary offense--check the statutes I posted previously (I omitted that portion as irrelevant). There is NO law requiring adult rear-seat passengers to wear seatbelts in Virginia.

This is correct, there is no Virginia law requiring adult rear-seat passengers to wear seatbelts.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net