Print Page | Close Window

That's it! I surrender

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1362
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 10:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: That's it! I surrender
Posted By: qorc
Subject: That's it! I surrender
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 9:49am
I bought a Prius over the weekend. Tired of trying to get up earlier and earlier just to a spot in the 234 lot.

Yeah, i know. the law could expire in a year or two. I'll deal with it then.

Until then, I'm cruising alone, albeit at 50 mpg.

Replies:
Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:01am
qorc...youre a sellout!!! (just kiddin) I tell you what, even the most dedicated slugger has got to be thinking to buy one. I mean, why not just jump on the boat. We try and ease traffic on 95 by slugging. But now why not just do the easy thing like you have done. VDOT and local govt has just given up on doing the right thing. All of the clean fuel crap makes me sick - that they can use HOV lanes. Its all a disaster. But...When in Rome...

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:11am
well, it's got to a ridiculous point at the 234 lot. It's virtually FULL now by 6:30. I can't keep getting up earlier and earlier. It's out of control.

Yeah, i'm a sell-out.

but I gotta admit - I really LIKE the car. It drives real well!

BUT I think I'm going to split my time between driving and slugging (probably slug on fridays - it's easy to get a spot late). I'll probably have the ONLY hybrid in the parking lot! lol

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:14am
I do hope that you are picking up slugs to ride HOV-3!!![:D]

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:16am
Qorc,
Congrats on your new car.
Hope you will give the ultimate consideration in slugging cooperation -- and pick up a slug or two as you commute. Good luck.
Keep on sluggin'! [^]

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:17am
I'll bet that qorc does not pick up!

Goober

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:23am
I have NEVER seen a hybrid pick up slugs yet. not even once. NEVER.

but let's be honest. Why should I stop off for the 10-15 minutes it would take to get slugs at 234? Honestly. I'd already be at Lorton by then!

Be realistic. VERY few people would do this.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:23am
besides, there is NO shortage of drivers at 234.

My NOT picking up slugs doesn't change one thing there. Not one. In fact there are more drivers than slugs there because of the smallness of the lot.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:26am
Sounds like you feel a bit guilty. Never mind, just so long as you pick up in the evening :)

Goober

Posted By: protocol
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:28am
Why pick up slugs? Because you CAN. And you, more than the average commuter, know the value of slugging. There's too much of the "me first" mentality around. I thought this was a community.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:31am
IF there was a shortage of drivers, it makes sense

but at 234 there IS no shortage. by 7:15, the line of drivers snakes through the whole lot and they wait 20 minutes or MORE for SLUGS.

so how does me picking up 2 people alter the equation?? please explain

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:31am
Don't pick on qorc. I think he's just doing what comes naturally. Although I think qorc is probably asking for it when he posts on this forum :) He does pick up in the evening, doesn't he?

Goober

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:34am
Keep on slugging at 50 mpg. I've picked up slugs in my hybrid. Boy, I get the "why are you doing this?!?" But hey it's okay. And when there aren't enough people in line the ones who are there usually don't mind being able to head to the HOV w/o a third person.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 10:34am
Goober,
If I went and bought one of these clean fuel cars, I would NEVER pick up slugs again. Thats why people buy them. To get out of picking up slugs and get in the HOV lanes alone at any time. (Plus to save our environment)[;)]
Until the law stops the CF cars from riding in the HOV lanes, I would be smiling all the way into DC - ALONE

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:20am
guilty? not in the least.

if I passed the 234 lot and saw LINES of slugs waiting for non-existent rides, I would.

but it's the OTHER WAY AROUND. by 7:00, its a LONG LINE OF DRIVERS WAITING FOR SLUGS.

so me getting into this line does not HELP anyone.

oh and by the way, I'm gonna shave 15 minutes off my trip both ways.

see ya down the road!

Posted By: JDivine
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:24am
You are more than welcome to come down to the Mine Road lot at 610 and give us DC people a ride! Say around 7:15-7:45 a.m.? You would have more fans than a rock star! Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:36am
lol..right..I'm supposed to now go SOUTH, get OFF HOV in order to go pick up people near Fredericksburg? then go on the regular lanes until HOV begins near 234? Add, what? 30 minutes to my commute. yeah, right.

well, you can expect all you want. You will be disappointed.

I got the Prius in order to SHORTEN my commute. Call me crazy, but I think I'll drive myself to work in the fastest way I can.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:41am
But gee, think of the LOVE and the warm fuzzy feeling of helping out others! HAHAHA!

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:55am
There's a shortage of drivers at Potomac Mills around 7:15 to 7:45am. You won't have to drive south to pick up slugs and it'll be on you way to DC. How's that?

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 12:12pm
Gorc- Sound like you are trying to start a slug match (yeah, that was corny)But in all seriousness, I have been in more than one hybrid car. There is nothing wrong with picking up slugs, BUT- there is not a rule (yet) that say's you have too.

:'}

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 12:46pm
and where do I get off to get to Potomac Mills? think I'm going to INCH my way up the normal lanes and by-pass HOV at 234? Hey, genius, the first exit after 234 is Springfield.

No I don't think I'll be doing that. NO person in his right mind is going to quadruple their commute in order to pick up long-suffering slugs at Potomac Mills!

Guess again.

sorry, guys. I spent the money on the car to SHORTEN my commute. Not lengthen it! You people amaze me.

If YOU are so concerned about slugs at Potomac Mills then YOU drive and pick them up!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 12:48pm
Of course no one says he "has" to do anything. But why post on this board - a place designed to HELP people slug - your intention to start doing something that does everthing but help the slug community? We need fewer cars on the road, not more.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 12:55pm
well actually by going with my hybrid:

1. I make one more spot to park a car at the 234 Lot.
2. I make one more spot for a slug to ride out from the 234 Lot.
3. I've sold my gas-guzzling pick-up truck. I'm now driving everywhere (not just slugging) cleaner.
4. I'm voting with my feet - because the authorities refuse to do anything about the pitiful state of the rt. 234 lot (and no, it's way too far and slow for me to drive to other lots further north), I'm basically chucking the system. I won't participate.

flame me if you want. But I'm doing what 99.9% of MOST people will do. find the fastest, most convenient way to get to work. Even most slugs do it for this reason. So don't try and hold ME to a standard that most people could not hold themselves too.

I'm out and on the road!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 1:01pm
I'm sure everyone thinks THEY are doing the right thing. Slugs think their way is best - ones who have bought CF cars think they are bettering things. I guess whatever way gets people to work in their most convenient way is the winner. I bet once HOT lanes move in, there will be lots of folks changing their commuting habits - including loyal slugs flipping the system a big finger.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 1:01pm
HOV... isn't that the acronym for HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE? A hybrid vehicle with only one occupant traveling in those lanes during the restricted hours becomes an oxymoron. Pollution reduction is merely a benefit of HOV, not the purpose of HOV.

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 1:11pm
I'm with you, buddy. If I had $25,000 (spread over 60-84 months), I'd be driving right along side you too. My neighbor just bought a new Prius (she's a stay out home mom) and it is one cool car! In fact it is such a cool car, that being able to drive in HOV would be just a bonus for me (driving a super technologically advanced, environmentally friendly car is the primary benefit).

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 1:15pm
yes, that's what HOV stands for but the Commonwealth of Virginia has decided to also reward people who are driving in FUEL EFFICIENT cars along side of the belching, gas-guzzling SUVs that a lot of slug drivers bring. It's called having two goals.

if you don't like it, write the governor. But I didn't drop $24K into a new automobile so that I could double my commute by picking up stray slugs! *laughs* As if!!!

I slugged for 2 years. I will still slug some. I occasionally drove. I did my time. The system isn't working down at my lot.

Like I said, in 2 years, i have NEVER seen a hybrid pick up slugs at my lot. Not even once. Why should they? You get a bunch of strangers in and out of your vehicle and it takes longer. Does that make sense to you? REALLY? So YOU would be that one "whore with a heart of gold" that would invest money in a hybrid and still pick up slugs? Yeah, right! I'll excuse you while you adjust your halo!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 1:49pm
Calm down Gorc, I was just kidding but you didn't get it.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 1:50pm
it's "Qorc"...but who cares?

you might have been kidding. some of these nitwits aren't though! lol

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 2:09pm
qork..dont turn into uhura...[B)]

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 2:48pm
Qorc, you know what they say: If you're not part of the solution....
Why, by the way, would you post here in the first place? You're telling us that you're going over to the other side (and by other side I mean single drivers, NOT Hybrids, for I HAVE seen Hybrids - admittedly a small few - in slug lines). What use does that have? This site is about making things better for as many people as possible and all you're doing is adding another car to the road.
Oh, wait, I forgot. Your commute gets better. I guess that's what it's all about. Me, me, me.....

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 3:04pm
yes, that's what most human activity is about.

sorry if that offends you! I didn't realize I was dealing with a bunch of self-less saints! You certainly won't do what's in YOUR interests, will you?

Boy the "holier than thou" attitudes are RAMPANT today!

I guess I was just saying "ciao" with the post. I got frustrated with the 234 lot situation and I'm voting with my feet! Yes, I AM part of the solution - one more slug can park and ride since I won't be there. And unlike many of you, I will be getting 50 mpg instead of polluting the atmosphere with an SUV getting 12. The Commonwealth of Virginia agrees.

CIAO!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 3:16pm
Oops, sorry Qorc. My bad.

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 3:24pm
Baz, you crack me up with that comment! I was totally thinking of the same thing. Let's not start that mess again we just had a few weeks ago. Congrats on the car, enjoy it, and thanks for rubbing in in our slug faces.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 4:18pm
Qorc, you've riled me, and that's bad for you. You are the absolute stereotype of a humorless Smug, a self-congratulatory preening pseudo-environmentalist who is only concerned about himself. Re-read your posts and count the number of times you use the words "me" and "I".

1. You are not so much leaving a space at 234, as you are taking up a space on 95. Your hybrid takes up a car-space that could be holding three commuters instead of one. You are a Space Hog. I dub thee a Plug.

2. My 7-year-old daughter would quickly grasp the difference between 100 vehicles carrying 300 people, and the effect of 100 vehicles carrying only 100 people. Like the impact on the traffic within DC, or the increased need for a parking space in a more-crowded environment. Leave your car in the burbs!

3. How's the traffic around the Pentagon at 7:30 every morning? Pretty bad, huh? Well, remove the hybrids from the equation and, well, the answer should be evident even to one with a quark-sized intellect.

4. So-called "clean fuel" vehicles run on ALL GASOLINE while cruising on the highway. Three or four people in my old 4Runner (20 mpg on the highway) is a lower net per-person environmental impact than a single Qorc at 50 mpg. Factor in the actual vehicle-life impact (manufacture, tires, battery disposal, etc,) and you, as a Smug, are causing more environmental harm than almost any HOV short of a Hummer.

5. It's the space, dummy. The few backups which occur every morning are caused by, what, too many people in the cars? Of course not: by too many cars on the road. And what do these backups cause? More emissions from the vehicles stuck in traffic. So: if the hybrids add to the number of vehicles on the highway, then they add to the gross emissions. Thanks, Qorc, on behalf of everyone, for your contribution to the environment.

6. Finally: are you truly lacking a humor-bone? Can you not detect the friendly joshing tone of emancilla and JDivine? Did you think JDivine was seriously asking you to come south to the 610 lot? D'oh!

It don't pay to rile the Sponge.

(BTW, come see my new movie! [:D])

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 4:26pm
Mr. SquarePants, You qorc me up!

Goober

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 8:05am
Qorc... I gotta say that had I not already weighed the cost-benefit and figured in the end of the exemption in '06 I might have jumped on that bandwagon too. However, I must say that I certainly admire Mr. Sponge's candor...VERY funny!!! HA!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 9:12am
Roadrunner.....mmm,mm,mmm...you had to open up that can of worms didn't cha...[8D]

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 9:22am
Spongebob

Take a pill. If they provided adequate space at 234, I probably would never have bought this car. Does the word "loser" come to mind? or is there just a big "L" on your forehead?

by the way, driving in today in my Prius? 15 minutes faster on a usually 45 minute total commute. sweet!

You can take shots at me all you want!

Have fun standing in the rain y'all!

OUT!

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 12:44pm
Sorry, Qorc, the 234 argument doesn't hold water. I parked at 234, too, from the time it opened. I was one of the principal forces behind getting the lot expanded (well, I like to think I was... who can say, really?)

When the 234 lot started filling up earlier each day, I shifted to parking at the McD's, at the end of 234 in the dirt, at the Food Lion, in the woods... anywhere I could find a space. (And no, I couldn't just keep getting there earlier: I have a daughter in daycare who takes precedence over my commute.)

Eventually, the number of drivers going to 18th St. dwindled to nothing. So after trying the bus for a couple of weeks I tried slugging from Horner. Great for about 18 months. And now that Horner is full up, I slug from Potomac Mills. In short, I did not "surrender", as you did (per the thread's title.)

Adaptability, my Pluggy friend, is the hallmark of the true Slug, and the strength of our evolution. You, Qorc, did not try hard enough. You are weak. You are dismissed from our Fellowship. Begone and trouble the Slugs no more.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 2:42pm
Amen.

Goober

Posted By: mallslug
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 10:31pm
Boy, I just can't wait until the expiration of the hybrid exemption in HOV. Today, in the slow slow traffic in the HOV lanes around 3:15, my driver was trying to merge into the lanes from the on-ramp near Rosslyn. For the most part, the drivers already in the lanes were letting cars merge, each car in the lanes letting one car in from the on-ramp. After all, traffic was only moving around 15 mph or so at that point because there were so many single drivers trying to beat the 3:30 cutoff. However, when it was "our turn" to be let into the lanes, the hybrid driver next to us would NOT let us in and at one point almost hit us just trying to keep us out of traffic and force us onto the shoulder. We were only going 15 mph for crying out loud. How much quicker will you get home by not letting in one car? Hybrid drivers are definitely not as courteous as those with slugs. IMHO.

Karen

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 11:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]yes, that's what HOV stands for but the Commonwealth of Virginia has decided to also reward people who are driving in FUEL EFFICIENT cars along side of the belching, gas-guzzling SUVs that a lot of slug drivers bring. It's called having two goals.

Actually, the Commonwealth's laws are distorted by DMV into letting only hybrids have the exemption. If it was based on fuel efficiency they should also let diesels have the exemption. If they followed the law about emissions hybrids couldn't be given CF plates because they run on gasoline. The diesel VW Beetle has the same emissions rating on the EPA green vehicle guide as the Civic Hybrid and the Insight sold here but doesn't get the plates. It also gets about 50mpg. It is all marketing and the perception that hybrids are some revolutionary step in emissions.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2004 at 2:41pm
mallslug, I'll generalize myself and say that some hybrid drivers are very discourteous and rude with their driving behavior[:0]. The others appear guilty for driving in the HOV and stay to the right, at the posted speed limit[?]. The exceptions among hybrid drivers are those that pick up slugs [:D].

Goober

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net