Print Page | Close Window

keep being dropped off at the first lot at horner!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1368
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 6:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: keep being dropped off at the first lot at horner!
Posted By: yvan
Subject: keep being dropped off at the first lot at horner!
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 8:18pm
Today for the second day on a row the driver refuse to drop their slugs on the second lot of Horner road. They simply said, I ONLY DROP PEOPLE OFF AT THE FIRST LOT. I think this is just very un-courteous of them and I guess now we have to ask if they go to the second lot or not at Horner road. It was raining and I had parked my car in the third lot that is quite a walk.

Think about it, In the morning you wont take a ride if a car goes to F street and you are going to G, you just wait for the someone else going to G. In the afternoon there is no such a thing, Usually people just are courteous enough specially on a rainy day to go the extra 100 feet and then turn around if they need to go back into 95, but these is a recurring case already... does anybody else experience this or is it just a coincidence?

Replies:
Posted By: mlrdad
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2004 at 8:42am
It is the usual for me, but it doesn't bother me since I am am not paying for the ride. Even in the rain, the short extra walk is probably good for one also.[:D]

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2004 at 11:37am
I think you should start asking drivers in the evenings if they are willing to drop you off at your lot before accepting the ride if this is becoming an issue for you. I've noticed at the Horner lot drivers usually take slugs to the AM pick up point regardless of where you had to park your car. I agree it is more of an inconvenience for the slug to walk than for the driver to possibly have to make a U-turn because he wanted to exit via pkwy instead of Telegraph. Then again slugging IS a free service and it is all about flexibility. Like I said the best thing to do is to ask before riding, or switch lots. ;)

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2004 at 2:29pm
I think that the driver has the right to drop off only at the first lot if you were picked up from the Pentagon, Crystal City or Rosslyn. But if you were picked up in DC and they won't go to the second lot, that would be rude and should the driver chastised because they must have picked up at the second lot in the morning. Exceptions may apply, since I see it in general terms because the driver could have conceivably (but unlikely) picked up at the first lot in the AM and picked slugs up in DC.

Goober

Posted By: yvan
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2004 at 5:50pm
goober has a good point, if they picked up from pentagon or crystal city that would make sense, other than that the driver should be taking the slug at the starting destination. I was picked up in DC and my fellow slugger was a female who had to walk to the 3rd lot by herself.... Horner lot is a big one, and it is dark now at 6 pm. I realize it is free ride, but it goes both ways, without the slugger they could not take the HOV lanes.

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2004 at 8:12am
yvan,

It's sad your driver would not take you to the next lot, especially since you asked. When I picked up at Rosslyn or (occasionally) the P'gon, I would assume the riders were going to the first Horner stop. One day, a woman asked if I would take her to the second Horner stop. No prob...with the chaos at Horner, it's actually easier to turn around and come back to the first stop for a right-hand turn to the light. But it was a wake-up call for me to start asking riders which stop they needed.

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2004 at 12:55pm
On the flip side, a couple of weeks ago, I was dropped off at the second lot. As I was walking on the sidewalk, a woman pulled up next to me and asked if I was in the 3rd lot, presumably to take me closer to my car had I been parked there. Given that it was dark and I was pretty much a lone female, I very much appreciated her offer. I had had a bad day, and her thoughtfulness really brightened it for me. [:)]

Posted By: slugguru
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2004 at 1:05pm
When i drive, i always ask which lot you r parked in.......It takes me maybe an extra 30 seconds to drive a little ways down and make a u-turn....

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2004 at 1:53pm
Just as before accepting the ride, it's that simple.

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2004 at 8:09am
L to the AZY

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2004 at 1:03pm
I started going to Horner back in April off and on. I assumed that when the driver said Horner they meant anywhere at Horner. I quickly found out that that was not the case. I would forget to ask if they were going to the second lot and two times both male drivers refused to take me. I told them that they should tell folks that BEFORE they get into their car. That is a looooong walk to the new lot and I don't appreciate walking when they can drive down and make a quick U-turn and come back in less than a minute. I now ask everytime. A lot of drivers are shocked that people would be so rude as to NOT take a slug anywhere in the Horner lot.

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2004 at 2:04pm
You are right, common courtesy to take to the second lot. I never really cared where I got dropped off. I figured walking to the last lot is exercise so it is good for me. However, now that it is dark outside, it is not really a good idea for the ladies to be walking in the dark alone. The least bit of distance to walk alone, the better. Most drivers agree and even drop off at the last lot these days. Unfortunately there are still some mean drivers who won't go to the second lot. I don't think that is lazy to not want to walk in the dark alone. Hopefully more drivers will reconsider until Spring comes.

Posted By: KatieM
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2004 at 3:06pm
I slug from Tackett's but we often swing through the Horner lot in the evenings (Old Bridge is a NIGHTmare at that time) and backtrack to Tackett's. I see that the majority of cars let out at that first little bus shelter right off HOV. That lot is HUGE! To refuse to take a person a minute out of your way because it isn't convenient is unconscionable! Would you do that to your own mothers, wives or daughters; making them walk alone quite a distance in the dark or in bad weather? I'm not saying drivers shouldn't extend a courtesy to MEN as well, but GEEZ!, women walking alone in the dark can result in tragedy!

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2004 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by goober
[br]I think that the driver has the right to drop off only at the first lot if you were picked up from the Pentagon, Crystal City or Rosslyn. But if you were picked up in DC and they won't go to the second lot, that would be rude and should the driver chastised because they must have picked up at the second lot in the morning. Exceptions may apply, since I see it in general terms because the driver could have conceivably (but unlikely) picked up at the first lot in the AM and picked slugs up in DC.

That's assuming they did in fact pick up in the AM--it's also entirely possible that the driver may not have picked up anyone in the morning and picks up slugs only in the afternoons.

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2004 at 12:10pm
PT, good for you and good for me!

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2004 at 2:26pm
USA, good point. I suppose there may be other exceptions. The bottom line may be that we rely on the honor and good will of everyone that participates in slugging. I believe everyone should initially be considered "good" but there will always be a few bad apples that spoil it for everyone.[:D]

Goober

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net