Print Page | Close Window

Offensive Music - REALLY

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1388
Printed Date: 11 May 2024 at 7:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Offensive Music - REALLY
Posted By: ering
Subject: Offensive Music - REALLY
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 10:20am
Hi All-

This morning I had the pleasure of riding with a woman who was listening to a local morning show. The dj's were off-color, but nothing terrible. The music they were playing, however, was unbelievable! The lyrics couldn't be termed as "suggestive" because there was nothing left to the imagination - it was just plain disgusting. Now, I'm no shrinking violet, but this was ridiculous. I know that slugging is a symbiotic relationship between driver and rider - and I am on both sides of the equation - but please, think about what you are listening to when you are the driver. Anything that involves telling a woman to "turn around and bite the pillow" [:I]is over the line.

Alright, that was my rant, back to your day!

Thanks!
Erin

Replies:
Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 10:40am
Ering, and what did this woman say when you told her the music offended you? Or did you?

If you said nothing, you implied to her it didn't bother you. Drivers aren't mindreaders. I respectfully submit that too many slugs are way too shy, timid, & afraid to tell drivers in a polite way that something is amiss during a particular HOV trip. Slugs, if you hold it in, you will get what your silence agrees to accept. [:)]

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 11:02am
yes that 105.9 Smooth Jazz station can be very offensive.

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 11:35am
Where does it say that she was listening to 105.9 Smooth Jazz? Thats not offensive music...

quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]yes that 105.9 Smooth Jazz station can be very offensive.

Posted By: kgirl
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 11:39am
I agree with sluDge that if it was that offensive to you, you simply could have said so instead of bottling it in and thinking about HOW RUDE that was all day only to vent online. But, really, whats the big deal? Its just music, its just a ride in the car, there aren't children present. I don't think the driver should have to ask the rider what station they would prefer to listen to, its their car! Just say you are offended, close your ears and roll your eyes at the state of Young People these days.

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 12:08pm
This is a tough one, telling a drive that something is offensive can be an issue with some people. However, it seems that once you get into a car as a slug you sign up to the car owners preferences. Sort of tacit approval. If you dont approve then you always have the right not to ride with that person again. Who is to know what offends people these days......some people are offended by Rap music and others gospel.......

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 12:47pm
I still believe in the rule that it's the driver's choice in what music they like to hear. I'm sure many won't mind changing it if you asked politely, but my opinion is that if you are worried about it then bring your own headphones/player. I carry around my discman sometimes when I don't feel like having to deal with my outer environment. I've sat in a particular ride many times that I've nicknamed "storybook man", because the driver always listens to audio books. It's like being read a nap-time story. I enjoy finding out the listening preferences of others. I meant to start a post asking why people feel they need to put on Smooth Jazz or WTOP, because although I see the point of it, I would rather listen to more variety. But hey, I'm a slug and if I don't like it I can take the bus. [;)]

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Posted By: ering
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 2:42pm
No, I didn't ask her to change it as it is her car. The point is to THINK about what you are listening to when others who you don't know are present. As I said, I slug and I drive. When I drive I listen to Big 100 - most riders I've had seem to enjoy it as I generally see them tapping along or singing under their breath at some point during the ride. Even if they don't enjoy the music it's hard to be offended by it. I'm not exactly over-the-hill either at the ripe old age of 29. This was offensive, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that people you don't know may be offended by such lyrics. I'd just like drivers to consider such things before they pick up slugs.

Erin

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 3:04pm
Exactly ... either it was her car and she wasn't offended by the music, or she may have been preoccupied with another thought or problem and the radio may have been just background noise to her, or another person may have driven the car last and she didn't bother to change the station. Who knows? I agree people can be more sensitive, but sometimes other priorities predominate their minds. The point is if Ering was offended and didn't politely say something to the driver, Ering lives with the consequences. It's Ering's choice to either be active and say something, or be passive and offended. Ering chose the latter. We should not expect something that offends us to also offend someone else. We're all different and the challenge in all our lives is to learn to get along through two-way respect for each other. Keep on sluggin' ! [:)]

Posted By: KatieM
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 4:11pm
You know what I find sad? If she has kids, she no doubt listens to the same station when they're in the car. And if her kids are typical, they learn the words to catchy tunes and then go on to sing them to the rest of their pre-schoolmates.

Funny part is that these little sponges have no idea what they're singing about! I have a "for example" for you: I was riding in the car with my daughter and 4 year-old grandson. She was playing a CD with a bunch of old-school songs, one of which was Rick James' "Super Freak." I couldn't help it, but I busted out laughing when my grandson sang, "She's a verrrry kinky gurrrl...the kind you don't bring home to mudddder!" Have to say that's a lot tamer than "turn around and bite the pillow."

ANYhow...I don't think it's our place as slugs to tell the driver the music is offensive. Ya gotta harden up! Slugging isn't for sissies!!

Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 7:39am
I rode in an Accord the other day from Crystal City. Besides the fact that it was 2 door, the seat belt behind the passenger didnt work, and there were crumbs everywhere I was offended by the radio station. I think it was 105.6 or something. It was a religious bible thumper channel, and for the whole ride the radio station made it seem like Bush was god or something. Either way I didnt like it and I plan to never ride in the car again. But I wouldnt tell the driver to change the channel. I just rolled my eyes and sat back.

-Rob

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 9:37am
Subaru,
you have patience! i'd have jumped out of the car!

Posted By: muschi
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 1:00pm
i think this topic is real simple: slugging is not a 'the driver rules all' thing. in return for the driver getting to go down the hov lane the car's environment should accomodate all not just the driver. when i pick up folks i often have some freaky music playing [like the sex pistols, gary numan or the cure...] and i turn it OFF. i often apologize for forgetting to turn it off before they get into the car. this is even if the music doesnt say anything offensive beecause lemme tell ya i wouldnt wanna be a slugger listening to some sappy crap like um celine dion for my whole ride home - by the time i got hoem id rather hav needles stuck in my eyes than listen to that crap and i shouldnt hafta listen to a walkman if i didnt want to all in order to just drown out some crappy music thats like nails on a chalkboard to me and trust me folks what u think most people like makes me wanna jump out at 70mph. dont assume we all like what "most people" like. turn it off or ask folks if they mind something and i play tapes/cds so i know whats on. but i ask first and i turn the speakers in the back off since ppl in the back's ears are right on the speakers. and i play something easy on the ears like floyd or the dead [especially w the hope of getting some dead or floyd ideology subliminally pumped into right-wing-nut defense/military folk's heads, hehehe] ....

and Suburu, "Bush IS god!" [said with a stepford-wive glare in my eyes and monotone drone in my voice]. "I'm-so-happy-he-was-relelected. These-will-be-the-best-4-years-for-us-ever". "kethcup-is-a-vegetable". "I-didnt-need-my-social-security-benefits-when-i-get-old-anyway." "equality-is-overated"....

Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 1:03pm
WKYS by any chance?

I've had the displeasure as well.

I don't mind the radio, but must it be BLASTED??

yes, I'm still the occasional slugger...so no jumping on me and my Prius (which is, by the way, averaging 48.5 miles per gallon!)

Posted By: rusty
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 1:34pm
Drivers have to drive in this traffic; they should at least be able to listen to what they want to get them through it. All slugs have to do is sit down. I've been both, and a good station can get me through the commute. If I'm a rider and I don't like the music I read my book. If your that worried about it, bring your own head set.

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 2:18pm
That's right, muschi, Bush is DA MAN.... at least for the next four years. Then we'll probably get Hillie, and the Dems will issue all of us an environment-loving hybrid that we can all drive solo in the HOV lanes 'cuz the Dems will take over Richmond and extend the exemption. [:o)]

MAN, it's so much FUN to drip sarcasm with the drizzly weather. It's Friday, it's payday, and there's only 14 more shopping days until Christmas. Let there be more smilies!!!! [:D]

Hey, qorc, good to see you again, and happy to see you sharing your hybrid. Maybe the community will get off your back about it, eh? [8D]

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 3:25pm
ok im gonna play the sex pistols today and see how your method goes rusty, hehehe. [for you older folks its punk rock, er um, put it this way, its like, um, an angry foulmouthed bing crosby with horrible larangitis [sp?]] you know, like he really was, when he was at home beating his wife and kids.... [hehe i liked that one]

Posted By: CUCV_Owner
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 4:28pm
Hey Ronin, what are you still doing here? I thought you could practically walk to work now.

BTW I got tired of dealing with public transit and car-pooling, so I found a new job. Twenty minutes from when I leave the house to when I log on to my PC at work - and no HOV lanes to deal with. [:D]

--
Politicians should serve two terms... a term in office followed by a term in jail.

Posted By: Dhacim
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2004 at 3:04pm
Have any of us stopped to think how touchy feely our society has gotten these days. I mean, seriously, if it was on the radio how offensive could it of been. I for one am getting tired of listening to people piss and moan about little things. Its everything from the Terrell Owens Monday night football debacle where millions were offended by a shot of Nicolette Sheridan's back, to not liking what someone is playing on the radio.

Here is a tip...Bring a discman, deal with what someone is listening to, or don't slug.....But for the love of god, don't vent on this site. We are all happy living in our post Uhura world, and I like the inactivity of this site.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2004 at 10:16pm
welp Dhacim radio may block bad words out but it still has plenty of material that not all should be subject to, only if they CHOOSE to. its about courtesy. im so tired of this society that has this attitude now of 'screw the other guy' [but in these days of bush thats unlikely to change soon.] and is it so tiresome to take care of your fellow man/slug? perhaps i hav not lived in the dc area long enuf b/c im still able to care about the 'little things' like treating people right ... anyway, the Sex Pistols i played [see above] werent a big hit - i cant figure out why hehehe - i mean, Bodies is great song! "she was born in the lavatry, she was a case of insanity"... "f- it all and f- her f-ing brat". and this thread/topic is really pointless , i think we are all feeling free to hav a little fun with it at this point. and, i had to listen and watch lawrence welk as a kid and i'll be damned if i hav to listen to crap like it now as a slug hehehe

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 7:27am
Hey, I LOVED the Sex Pistols 'back in the day'!!

God save the Queen! We mean it man! We love our queen!!! Gawwwwwd save!!!!! God save the Queen! The fascist regime!!

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 9:15am
to the people who don't like hearing pro-bush stuff (by the way, he won the election. Easily. by 4 million votes. GET OVER IT),

I don't like hearing the usual NPR clap-trap in many cars. But hey, you're a rider. I carry earplugs if it's too loud. Other than that, I pretty much tune out whatever they have on and keep my nose in my book

Posted By: uhura2
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 9:37am
quote:
Originally posted by WBSlug7
[br]I still believe in the rule that it's the driver's choice in what music they like to hear. I'm sure many won't mind changing it if you asked politely, but my opinion is that if you are worried about it then bring your own headphones/player. I carry around my discman sometimes when I don't feel like having to deal with my outer environment. I've sat in a particular ride many times that I've nicknamed "storybook man", because the driver always listens to audio books. It's like being read a nap-time story. I enjoy finding out the listening preferences of others. I meant to start a post asking why people feel they need to put on Smooth Jazz or WTOP, because although I see the point of it, I would rather listen to more variety. But hey, I'm a slug and if I don't like it I can take the bus. [;)]

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

I agree. I think it's "stepping over the line" to tell someone what they can listen to in their own car. I have been inside many a car where the radio content was "off color;" however, I felt I could deal with it for a 20 minute FREE ride...

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 10:40am
CUCV... I'm still hanging around slug-lines.com 'cuz it's fun!!! Between qorc and his hybrid, Uhura and the numerous clones, and the various other characters in here, I get to enjoy at least one chuckle a day. It also helps me to appreciate even more the 2.5 mile "commute" that I have now. The only slowdown I hit today was due to the drive-thru at Burger King. [8D] Besides, I can still pass on advice from experience to all the H-M to Rosslyn slugs.

Ain't heard much from you since you took that new job. Drop me a line and fill me in. You must still be doing the early-bird gig, though, since I never see your green monster in the parking lot as I drive by in the morning.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 3:05pm
normally I don't do this, stray off topic and such, sorry Admin..
but, qorc, check out www.sorryeverybody.com

and just to fit in with the topic, perhaps drivers should post a sign on the window, or when they pull up in addition to saying "2 for Bob's" they should state the type of music that will be played: "2 for Bob's with gangsta rap!" [8D]

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 3:27pm
im confuzed how someone can be into a song thats anti-fascist [god sav the queen] and that same person can be pro-bush who IS a
fascist!! ....Anarchy in the usa! hehehe .

yeah 4 million votes is a mandate - i know....oh and rumsfeld looked great in front of the troops being questioned about armor plating rofl "its a matter of physics" getting it to them, are you people high who voted for these numbnuts? i mean come on, i can understand u hated clinton b/c dont ask dont tell [tho i dont agree b/c foxholes r ugly and they need decorating and its not like u guys r gonna do that lol]... but we can spend $1b on just one missile system among many but we hav trouble cranking out some plates of frigging metal?! lol rumsfeld oughta be out on his arse if he's that incompetent and cant get some metal. hey, i know a guy named "tony" off the nj turnpike thatd hook him up w metal plating! fahgetabout it,whatevah u want! ha.

ronin, ive still yet to try the slug pik up at rosslyn [fearing i'll be sitting there forever]. id luv more advice , on how it is over there.

Posted By: rusty
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 4:38pm
KGIRL

DON'T PUT POLITICAL CRAP ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 5:10pm
muschi... Take it from me and CUCV, the Rosslyn to H-M run sucks. Nobody does it because nobody wants to get off the Metro at Rosslyn to take the chance. That's one more reason CUCV and I both got jobs out here on the western end of the Toll Road. That's two more parking spots at Mine Road (of course, we never parked there in the first place) and one less car in the HOV-3 lanes (which we never drove on). Life is very, very good now. [8D]

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 6:25pm
because only a fool (re: Leftists) get their politics from musicians and Hollywood.

yeah, Michael Moore, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Stipe REALLY delivered the election for Kerry!!!

To me, music is music. Politics is something different.

Untighten your sphincter and try and think on your own!

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 7:38am
rusty,
1. don't yell
2. i didn't start it
3. are we adults? granted i think its a little off topic, but chill out, we are all allowed our opinion, and these forums are chalk full of opinions.
again, rusty, chill out.

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 9:11am
Kgirl, your spot on. Open forum to post your opinion. Some on here do not make any sense and some have a blatent agenda but its still their opportunity.

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 9:29am
I think if you are a driver you have an obligation to keep things as neutral as possible -- if you don't want your riders using foul language in your car, don't put it on the radio. But again in this day and age, manners have gone out the window and it's an everyone-for-themselves environment out there. Keep a good supply of earplugs or head phones for your own music. As for politics on this site, this a touchy subject for most people (trust me, my blood pressure rises everytime I listen to he-who-must-not-be-named) and best kept out of the commuter site and out of the car pool.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 10:12am
thx ronin.

qorc: "he likes all our pretty songs, and he likes to sing along, but he dont know what it means". pimple-faced kid on dick clark's show in 1963 commenting on first hearing the beatles for the first time "it's got a good beat and I can dance to it". "music is just music". durrr. [xx(]

news is just news too, with alot of distortions and omissions of the truth, both left and right [and the powers that be pit us against each other on basic issues and while we are preocciupied with moronic or basic issues those in power can do whatever they please and they reap the benefits]. and, i get my politics from the howard stern show NOT my music lol. [B)]

all the others this thread has 'jumped the shark' a long time ago so roll with it. if u r reading this deeply into this thread you arent seeking slug info sort of like complaining about nudity when going to a brothel. [:X]

oh and "baba booey! baba booey! baba booey! "[:D]

Posted By: protocol
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 12:19pm
I weep for the future of the language. No one seems to care about spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. Oh, and if you hit the Shift key, you can get capital letters, too.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 2:17pm
ay protey. ah, so the shrink couldnt help with that compulsion of yours with grammar? still on about that hmm? sometimes i write in all CAPS [ARGHHHHHHH!!!] hehehe

Posted By: KatieM
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 11:32am
I'm totally behind protocol. I hate reading posts that look like they're typed by a 6th grader failing English class.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 1:00pm
well, mommy lets me use the computer

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 9:53am
Poor grammar or not, this muschi person provides some decent insight and does it with a sense of humor. Kind of a nice alternative to the negativity that sometimes breeds on this site from all the whining and moaning. It may be the nature of the beast for the slug board, but it's nice to read something that makes me laugh from time to time.

muschi-now don't get all big headed and get stupid or I'll be forced to blast you...:)~

Posted By: tondalea
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2005 at 7:46pm
As someone that drives sometime, I think that as long as they are not outright cursing and it's not blasting who the heck cares. And BTW I happen to love the song that you are talking about and have played it a time or two while driving just loud enough for me to hear it. I agree that the driver should be able to listen to whatever they want to. Just my opinion.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 11:40am
what????

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 12:37pm
I think he just likes to hear himself type, aye? or, no, or wait, I'm confused!

:'}

Posted By: EnufisEnuf
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 2:15pm
I agree, keep the political stuff off of the site. Nothing boils me up more than a Bushie talking about what is right vs. what is wrong. They are just repeating what Fox News tells them and we all know where Fox stands. So let's just keep it off the board. I've had the displeasure of riding in cars with people who are Bushies. While I may not agree with what they say, I don't interject my feelings or opinions into their conversations, I keep my trap closed. Sometimes we just have to do that. Let's do that here. Let's only report slug stuff and keep our opinions about Bushies and such off of the boards.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net