Print Page | Close Window

Cell Phone Use

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=193
Printed Date: 13 May 2024 at 6:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cell Phone Use
Posted By: KingTut
Subject: Cell Phone Use
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 12:01pm
I do not know what the rest of you think about this.... A couple of days ago, I was riding in the front seat, the driver also took two young ladies who rode in the back. One of the girls cell phone rang and she answered and kept talking, laughing, got loud and the whole nine yards. Meanwhile I was watching the facial expressions on the drive who got very annoyed, and rightfully so, specially that none of us had any idea what she is talking about or even what language whe was speaking.

When my cell phone rings when I am riding with someone I do the following:
- I look to see who is calling to see if it is even important enough to answer.
- If I answer, I talk in ENGLISH, even though I speak other languages fluently.
- If I answer, I am brief and tell the caller that I will call him or her back in a few minutes.

Common courtesy seems to be a fantasy now a days...

Replies:
Posted By: Kelsey
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 7:34am
This topic has been discussed quite a few times. Most recently see under General Slugging, "Cell phones and Safety" (April, 2002) and "Topics not to be Discussed" (July, 2002). You can also plug in "cell phones" after hitting "Search" at the top of the page.

Posted By: kortegel
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 7:40am
While I am very anti-cell phone in this situation, I have also been in situtations when the slug DRIVER was the one who was yukking it up on the phone the entire ride, making me feel that my personal safety was at risk. I personally cannot wait until it is against the law to use a cell phone while driving. I don't care what cell phone users claim -- these days I have all too often been in situations where I narrowly escaped a near-death situation while on the road, and when I glance at the driver of the other vehicle to figure out what cereal box they got their drivers license out of, 95% of the time I see that they have a cell phone firmly implanted to the side of their face. Worst of all, a majority of those incidents ended up with them simply speeding along, oblivious to the heinous accident that they almost caused because they're too engrossed in their conversation!

Forgive my rant, but it had to be said. And of course, a flurry of pro-cell phone sentiment is sure to come my way. Which will be followed by more anti-cell phone sentiment, and then the debate will begin anew.

Anyway, I also wanted to add that while I am a big believer in speaking the native language in ANY country, I also recognize that it is absurd to expect two people from the same native land to speak ENGLISH to one another, for in most cultures it would be an insult to do so. Therefore I think that the expectation for someone from another country to speak on their cell phone only in English is a bit much.

K.O.

Edited by - kortegel on 08 Aug 2002 07:42:15

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 2:23pm
Ok, I have to add to this. I agree with the no cell phone use but one thing that gets me is when riders snore so loud I cant focus on driving!!! How does the driver deal with this situation? The last several riders I have had were outrageous with their snoring. Tapping the breaks and turning up the radio did nothing to help. Should I have just yelled back at the guy and told him?? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted By: bags
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 2:48pm
Enough of the PC crap. Let's use the "Golden Rule". If a dude is snoring in the car I'm driving in, whether I'm the driver or not, it's an elbow to inform the dude/dudette that they're sawing logs and to save it until they get home. Nobody has to put up with that. That's what I would expect for people to do with me. I don't care if it embarassing or not to the individual. You give up some rights when you slug and one of them is not to be a Pain In The @$$ (P.I.T.A) to everybody else.

Posted By: curtisdt
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2002 at 3:27pm
I have actually done the old elbow to someone snoring. On another note I have actually had to tell someone they were too big to ride in my car. Not a fun thing to do, but when they can't figure it out on their own it has to be done.

Don

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2002 at 9:56am
I agree with bags, it simply comes down to the "Golden Rule".

Posted By: ahtamat
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2002 at 1:38pm

This is my first time on the slug line website. After this morning though I vowed that my work could wait, as I had to find the "rules" of slugging. Well, the use of cell-phones wasn't in the rules SO I am making it MY rule. I drive 3 days (some weeks 5 days) a week. I bend over backwards to accomodate passengers (AC, radio, seats, etc). Well, I have a peeve that has eaten into my last nerve and that is the use of cell phones. I will not allow the use of electronic devices (particularly cell phones and noisy pagers) in my vehicle any longer. 2 weeks ago, one of the slugs got on the phone before we left Arlington and was still on the phone in Dale City. I now have a sign posted in the window of my car as well as in the back seat and front seat. I will pull off at the the next exit and they can get out. I will not tolerate the use of cell phones - period.

Posted By: KatieM
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 9:39am
I read somewhere that we're especially annoyed with overhearing the conversations of cell-phonists, because we can't hear the OTHER SIDE of the conversation :) I can partially agree. I also agree with other posters who don't feel safe as their drivers yackity-yack for the duration of the ride. I've listened in on many a one-sided conversation, and have come to the conclusion that ALL of those calls received or placed, could have WAITED until the slugs were deposited at their destinations.

Just this morning, the phone of a slug sitting in the back seat chirped away. (I was the front seat slug.) She answered and began talking to a co-worker, who she'd obviously left a message with earlier to call her. She wanted the co-worker to run her off a form. The slug stated she hadn't been able to fill in the form the night before on her computer, because it kept locking up on her. And now, alas, she'd have to fill in the blanks on a typewriter. I ask you, could not the slug have simply gone in to work and run the form off herself?

I've also listened in on conversations ranging from plotting the demise of a co-worker, to emergency-type calls to a kid waiting at home for a ride to soccer practice -- Dad wouldn't be able to make it in time. Most calls can, and should, wait. I personally think it's particularly rude of a slug to take or place a call, under normal circumstance. However, I was once in a car after 9/11 on the way to work, and we were stuck in awful traffic approaching the Pentagon. A passenger asked the driver if he minded the passenger placing a call to his work to let them know where he was, and that he wouldn't be able to make a meeting. When the driver okay'd it, I too asked if I could do the same, and did so. I think we'd been sitting in traffic for about 1/2 by that time. That's the only time I've ever placed a call, and have always kept my phone turned off when riding in someone's car.

To be subjected to people blathering away about what he said-she said, hair, nails, clothes, shoes, and you'll-never-guess-what-happened is so annoying to me that I've envisioned myself snatching their phones away and chucking them out the window. I might just do that one day during a bout of extreme PMS (combined with a full moon, this could actually happen.) :)

Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 11:09am
For me the final straw was the extended (and *loud*) conversation re. animal husbandry (dogs). Fortunately it was at the end of the drive...

- Will

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 4:29pm
I have a question to those to do not like cell phone conversations in their cars. But first let me say that this is an honest question and not meant to be sarcastic. Also, I don't even own a cell phone (and never will), so I have no personal interest in the answer.

What about calls, making or receiving, that are of personal or professional importance? I know that "important" can have as many meanings as there are people, but like the ones on 9/11? I don't know about you all, but given what is happening around the country with kidnappings and such, I want to be sure that my son or daughter has a ride home from school if I'm late.

Asking to make a call such as this is certainly a good idea, but you can't necessarily know when someone is calling.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 8:05am
I think we have to be careful before we condemn all cell phone use. Remember, it is still legal in the state of Virginia. I think that a rule of common sense should apply. I drive each day and do receive cell phone calls. Sometimes it is from work telling me that a meeting has moved and sometimes they are from my children telling me that practice has been changed. I keep them short and to the point. So before we try to do away with all cell phones remember they are useful at times also.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 11:13am
I've read all these posts and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm a driver that doesn't mind practical cell phone use in the car, or even cell phone use if you are talking softly. I really haven't had any trouble with anyone abusing their cell phones or my nerves. Nor have I had to tell anyone to quiet down or "please discuss that topic elsewhere" (animal husbandry!?!?!?! Holy Schmoly!!) I fully agree with the need to keep track of your kids and loved ones (especially lately), and am even guilty of a conversation or so during a drive (always followed by an apology and a thank you to my passengers). Are we being a bit sensative about cell phone usage? I know there are extreme cases, but are these cases frequent enough to spark this much debate? Does anyone else feel like that?

Posted By: Margo
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 12:56pm
I believe that there are more "extreme" cases lately simply because the cell phone has gotten to be such a fixed part of our lives and people don't make it a point to be aware of their surroundings - too many other things on their mind. I have definitely noticed more incidences with the cases as described earlier. I do agree, however, that people who speak softly don't bother me either. For some reason (cell phone itself?) many people tend to take their voice volume up a few notches to the point where they almost seem to be shouting. I agree with KatieM. ---listening to many and I mean many of these conversations (you can't help it because of the loudness), it really, really, really appears that the calls could wait until the person has a little more privacy. As it is, the rest of us are no more than captive audiences.

Posted By: Sheepish
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 4:50pm
Here are my comments to this topic:

Common sense with regards to cell phone usage is needed here. The problem is, not everyone has the same level of common sense!

As a driver, I choose not to use my phone when I have riders with me; providing a safe ride for us all requires my full attention. (This is especially true since almost being sideswiped several times while going through the mixing bowl by other drivers simultaneously talking on the phone and flying through at high speed!)

As for riders, I do have an issue with "casual conversation" phone use. I have also had the ringing of someone's phone startle me because it was so loud!

The one instance where I don't really mind the use of a phone is when a rider is calling someone that will be picking them up at the lot, and call while 2 or 3 exits away so their ride will be there to meet them. While some may think that still is not reason enough, I view that as a safety issue (especially in winter when it gets dark so early).

Now having said that-- I also think "courtesy" is at issue here. In the 2 years I have been driving, only two people have asked the group if they minded a call being made. They were considerate. That's what bothers me most, that more often people assume it's ok to make/take a call without ever bothering to find out.

Posted By: bikehorn
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 3:17pm
I think I'll ride in your car. I have only twice had to talk on my cell phone, but I sure would have been pissed if someone had told me to can it.
You can never know the circumstances surrounding the conversation. I myself was trying to arrange travel plans to visit a best friend in the hospital the first time, and the second was trying to arrange for a ride home from the slug lot.
I think that excessive use isn't too kosher, but I think it borders on racism to say that people should speak only in English when talking on the phone. Just because they are talking on a cell phone, doesn't mean you should be able to understand their half of the converasation for your eves dropping pleasure.

quote:

I've read all these posts and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm a driver that doesn't mind practical cell phone use in the car, or even cell phone use if you are talking softly. I really haven't had any trouble with anyone abusing their cell phones or my nerves. Nor have I had to tell anyone to quiet down or "please discuss that topic elsewhere" (animal husbandry!?!?!?! Holy Schmoly!!) I fully agree with the need to keep track of your kids and loved ones (especially lately), and am even guilty of a conversation or so during a drive (always followed by an apology and a thank you to my passengers). Are we being a bit sensative about cell phone usage? I know there are extreme cases, but are these cases frequent enough to spark this much debate? Does anyone else feel like that?

Sarah L. Wentz
Development Assistant
Sevicemembers Legal Defense Network

Posted By: rwhite
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2002 at 8:28am
that's a little bit anal..don't ya think!

quote:

I read somewhere that we're especially annoyed with overhearing the conversations of cell-phonists, because we can't hear the OTHER SIDE of the conversation :) I can partially agree. I also agree with other posters who don't feel safe as their drivers yackity-yack for the duration of the ride. I've listened in on many a one-sided conversation, and have come to the conclusion that ALL of those calls received or placed, could have WAITED until the slugs were deposited at their destinations.

Just this morning, the phone of a slug sitting in the back seat chirped away. (I was the front seat slug.) She answered and began talking to a co-worker, who she'd obviously left a message with earlier to call her. She wanted the co-worker to run her off a form. The slug stated she hadn't been able to fill in the form the night before on her computer, because it kept locking up on her. And now, alas, she'd have to fill in the blanks on a typewriter. I ask you, could not the slug have simply gone in to work and run the form off herself?

I've also listened in on conversations ranging from plotting the demise of a co-worker, to emergency-type calls to a kid waiting at home for a ride to soccer practice -- Dad wouldn't be able to make it in time. Most calls can, and should, wait. I personally think it's particularly rude of a slug to take or place a call, under normal circumstance. However, I was once in a car after 9/11 on the way to work, and we were stuck in awful traffic approaching the Pentagon. A passenger asked the driver if he minded the passenger placing a call to his work to let them know where he was, and that he wouldn't be able to make a meeting. When the driver okay'd it, I too asked if I could do the same, and did so. I think we'd been sitting in traffic for about 1/2 by that time. That's the only time I've ever placed a call, and have always kept my phone turned off when riding in someone's car.

To be subjected to people blathering away about what he said-she said, hair, nails, clothes, shoes, and you'll-never-guess-what-happened is so annoying to me that I've envisioned myself snatching their phones away and chucking them out the window. I might just do that one day during a bout of extreme PMS (combined with a full moon, this could actually happen.) :)

Posted By: swichowski
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2002 at 3:50pm
I had a driver checking his messages on his cell phone driving all over the road trying to punch in the numbers. Then he took out a newspaper article and read it to his wife in the front seat still driving over both lines while his wife put on makeup I was holding on for life. I don’t hate cell phones I have one but lets be reasonable some non-important things can wait till you get to a stop.

Yes I snore sometimes so I will not sleep in a car because I think it is rude if I do but that’s just me.

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 1:51pm
Let's get a reality check here -- it's a FREE ride. If the driver wants to talk on the cell phone, that's his/her perrogative and it's your right to not ride with that person again if you don't like the fact that they talk on the cell phone while driving. As for passengers, you should always check with the driver before placing a call unless it's for an urgent situation at home and even then you should keep it brief. I also always make sure I turn down the volume on the ringer of my cell phone when I am slugging since a loud ringer can startle the driver. I think nowadays for safety reasons, everyone should have a cell phone and that they should leave it on because you never know when you might encounter a psycho who intends to do you harm. I just think you should be courteous in how you use it. The moral of the story, treat each other with courtesy and respect.

Tisa Shillingburg

Posted By: Nikki
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 1:21pm
I understand not wanting the driver to talk on the phone for safety reasons of course, but to not allow a rider to talk on the phone is ridiculous. The last time I checked there was a thing called freedom of speech. I think that would include talking on your cell phone if you wanted. If you think talking on the phone in the back seat is rude, what do you call putting someone out in the middle of the highway? When I drive, I could care less if the riders are asleep or on the phone as long as they get out at their destination. The purpose of slugging is to get to work and back home safely without dealing with a lot of the 95 traffic, is it not? I think some of you are taking this a little too seriously.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 5:37pm
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of your conclusions; I think the rule of thumb should be courtesy to everyone else in the car, and if the driver has the radio on, for example, it is rude of a slug to raise his voice to yell into the cell phone over the radio. Setting that aside, however, your point about "freedom of speech" is completely incorrect because the First Amendment only applies to the government--i.e., private businesses and private citizens are not obligated to accord people this freedom. Thus, your employer can prohibit you from using the F-word in the workplace or from wearing clothing that makes a political statement. Or your neighbor can throw you off his property if you try to stand out front with a protest sign. The same is true for someone driving slugs--it's a privately-owned vehicle and the driver can set whatever rules he wants, recognizing of course that if he makes them too draconian he won't get any riders.

Again, don't get the wrong idea--I'm not saying that slugs should never be allowed to use cell phones, and I'm not saying that they are always entitled to use cell phones. It's just that I always hear people use the term "freedom of speech" as though it's some absolute right and it's a pet peeve of mine how the First Amendment is misunderstood nowadays. (Have you guessed my profession?)

quote:

I understand not wanting the driver to talk on the phone for safety reasons of course, but to not allow a rider to talk on the phone is ridiculous. The last time I checked there was a thing called freedom of speech. I think that would include talking on your cell phone if you wanted. If you think talking on the phone in the back seat is rude, what do you call putting someone out in the middle of the highway? When I drive, I could care less if the riders are asleep or on the phone as long as they get out at their destination. The purpose of slugging is to get to work and back home safely without dealing with a lot of the 95 traffic, is it not? I think some of you are taking this a little too seriously.

Posted By: dkerley
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2002 at 10:30am
I am against cell phone usage by the driver because of the safety issue, but if the driver has some sort of ear piece or hands-free device and speaks on the phone incessantly -- I can't say anything as it is a FREE ride.

There was one incident whereas a driver was dialing his cell phone in the pouring rain driving in excess of 70 mph, and as he is dialing the number his Volvo was drifting off the road and toward one of those Jersey walls in the Springfield construction area. My heart stopped! I told him that he was drifting without being too frantic, but let me tell you, if I had no opened my mouth, I would not be here typing this post!

Another incident was where I was riding with a gentleman in a fuschia/red 94-95 Ford Escort and he was sending ping pong messages back and forth while driving! He drifted off the road several times, luckily catching himself from being in an accident. On top of that, he was driving a stick shift, so that meant less hands in which to control the vehicle!

So my issue is SAFETY! Especially when I have nearly died on two occasions. Invest in one of those ear pieces -- they are very inexpensive. I could care less if you want to chit chat about whatever, just do it safely!

And, beware, because some states are starting to pass laws on cell phone use while operating a vehicle.

Dina

Posted By: emmancilla
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2002 at 11:42am
It sounds funny but it is not. You put your life and everyone elses' in danger if you talk on the phone while driving.
One time I was riding with this guy when suddenly he received a phone call.
While he was using his right hand holding the cell phone,(take note that the car was a stick shift transmision), he was changing gears with his free hand. The steering wheel? Supporting with his lap between his knees and was driving using them as a replacements to his hands.
Does it sound incredible? Not to me, and let me tell you I and the other guy in the back of the car, were praying to whoever is the Saint of the Miracles. At least I was.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 10:40am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]I've read all these posts and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm a driver that doesn't mind practical cell phone use in the car, or even cell phone use if you are talking softly. I really haven't had any trouble with anyone abusing their cell phones or my nerves. Nor have I had to tell anyone to quiet down or "please discuss that topic elsewhere" (animal husbandry!?!?!?! Holy Schmoly!!) I fully agree with the need to keep track of your kids and loved ones (especially lately), and am even guilty of a conversation or so during a drive (always followed by an apology and a thank you to my passengers). Are we being a bit sensative about cell phone usage? I know there are extreme cases, but are these cases frequent enough to spark this much debate? Does anyone else feel like that?

it's me again

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 10:43am
quote:
Originally posted by tlschau
[br]I have a question to those to do not like cell phone conversations in their cars. But first let me say that this is an honest question and not meant to be sarcastic. Also, I don't even own a cell phone (and never will), so I have no personal interest in the answer.

What about calls, making or receiving, that are of personal or professional importance? I know that "important" can have as many meanings as there are people, but like the ones on 9/11? I don't know about you all, but given what is happening around the country with kidnappings and such, I want to be sure that my son or daughter has a ride home from school if I'm late.

Asking to make a call such as this is certainly a good idea, but you can't necessarily know when someone is calling.

it's me again

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 10:50am
The question "What about calls, making or receiving, that are of personal or professional importance?"
IF they were *THAT* important...they would have been made before getting into a vehicle.
I am a mother, and probably the person that was discussing animal husbandry. If a person feels they need to call home to check on their concerns...why not discuss animal husbandry if it is a concern?
But I also understand that there are some people that don't care for their animals. It is evident when I drive and see chains circling the neck of canines shiverin in front of a cubicle that they must sleep in. As you may read, I'm an animal advocate.
it's me again

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2003 at 3:24pm
You never know when an important call will come in so making it before getting in the car may not fit. Bottom line, free ride again. Cell phones are authorized in Va for now......until they are not just have to go with the flow.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2003 at 11:10pm
I drive every day, and haven't had any problems with people on the phone. Most of the time people have short conversations, and it's frequently to arrange a ride home from the dropoff point.

The "worst" time was a guy who's wife kept calling him on the way home in his not very functional phone. It would ring nice and loud, but she couldn't hear him talking and would call again..and again.. I let him know of my provider's(cingular) free upgrade policy, and he found that Sprint has the same policy. The next morning, he ended up in my car again with a new phone. Thinking back, I should have informed him of his phone's "silent" mode as he was programming the numbers. :)

I'm not complaining, but if it were more frequent, I would.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net