Print Page | Close Window

Time to review the rules?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1945
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Time to review the rules?
Posted By: 122582
Subject: Time to review the rules?
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 10:23am
Anyone up for a review of the rules?

Lot's of posts lately regarding proper conduct on the part of both slugs and drivers. Here are a few of my ideas.

[:)]Slugs do not talk. This is not completely true, because there are times when conversation is acceptable, but normally slugs must wait for drivers to initiate it; otherwise, there is no talking. One note about this rule. Even though it may sound impolite not to initiate conversation, there are some good reasons why this rule exists. The driver (and sometimes the slug) isn’t interested in getting to know the other person. On the contrary, all that is wanted is a quiet ride home. For many riders, it’s a chance to think, sleep, or read the paper. For the driver, it may be the only chance to listen to the news or relax to his or her own music. The last thing both riders and drivers want is to feel obligated to carry on a 30-minute conversation. It’s a good rule. Now, with that being said, sometimes conversations do take place, but you’ll just have to use your own judgment as to when it’s appropriate.

[:)]No conversations of religion, politics, race, or sex. Enough said...

[:)]No money, gifts, or tokens of appreciation are ever requested. A driver doesn’t expect the riders to help out with gas money, but if a slug wants to help out so be it. The slug is helping the driver use the HOV, and the driver is saving the slug a significant amount of money.

[:)]Cell Phones - Slugs, do not carry on a conversation while commuting. The very short, "Hey, I'm on my way" is okay, but do not have a long conversation about what you did last weekend!

[:)]The line does not leave a woman standing alone. Call it chivalry or simply thoughtfulness towards the safety of others, but this rule has certainly helped many women feel safer. Notice that I said "the line," because the rule applies to both men and women. It works like this: If the line has three people left in it and the driver needs only two in order to meet the HOV-3 requirement, the "line" should ensure that a woman is not left standing. Either a man forfeits his place in line so that he is left standing, or the ride is declined until another slug arrives. Or, it is acceptable to ask the driver if he will take more slugs in order to clear the line. Whatever the situation, the intent is not to leave a woman standing alone on the street, especially at night.

[:)]There is no smoking or eating by the driver or slug.

[:)]A slug does not ask to change the radio station or adjust the heat or air conditioning.

[:)]The slug does not open or close the window.

[:)]Both slugs and drivers usually exchange a "Thank you" before and after the ride.

[:)]No "curbside" service. There are certain understood destinations. Horner Road means the parking area at Horner Road, not the gas station just down Prince William Parkway or around the block to were you live. If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object.

[:)]Slugs should never take a ride out of turn.

[:)]Slugs have the right to pass or forfeit a ride for safety or security issues. Let’s say a couple of rough-looking characters pull up and your gut feeling tells you this ride isn’t safe. PASS. There are plenty of other rides that will pass your own personal "gut" check.

[:)]No "Body Snatching." If the line of cars picking up slugs is too long, many times drivers will cruise the commuter parking lots, attempting to pick up slugs walking to the line. This practice is unfair to both slugs and drivers. I have seen this rule both enforced and violated, by both drivers and slugs. Hopefully, this rule will stand the test of time; otherwise, it will be a free-for-all.

[:)]Drivers should not "stop short." Stopping short happens when the driver decides not to take the slug all the way to the agreed-upon destination. For example, the driver decides to stop at his parking garage, just a few blocks short of the understood drop-off point, forcing the slug to walk the remainder of the distance. In this case the driver should tell the slug that he is only going part way to the destination and let the slug decide whether or not to accept the ride.

[:)]Will Call—the driver’s option to pick a particular slug not at the front of the line. This situation usually happens when a driver sees a friend in line and simply calls for that individual.

[:)]Seat Belts - it's understood that both drivers and passengers should buckle-up. Drivers please allow the slugs time before leaving the parking lot. The driver gets the ticket for passengers not buckled up.

[:)]Consideration - both drivers and slugs should use common consideration during the commute. For example, drivers should try to use a relatively clean car, and keep the radio at a moderate level. Everyone should avoid the use of heavy perfumes or colognes. Slugs should remember they are guests in someone else's car.

[:)]No alternate drop off requests. Drivers get the tickets for dropping of in unauthorized areas, so don't even ask.

[:)]Take a bath - everyone!

[:)]Don't whine about a driver driving the speed limit. If you want to go faster, drive yourself.

[:)]Slugs should never leave trash in a car.

[:)]Do not harass a driver to take additional riders. The driver will decide in advance if he or she would like to take more than the minimum required number of riders, and offer the third seat.

[:)]Drivers should pull to the front of the drop off area when dropping off. It is rude to hold up the drivers and passengers behind you.

[:)]Everyone pay attention. If the pick point is crowded (Pentagon, for example), slugs should ask every driver who pulls up for their destination, and echo it to the front of the line if applicable. Head slug should watch for gestures from the drivers.

[:)]It is not appropriate to pass on the first car in line simply because another car needs only one slug. The driver has invested his or her time to come wait for you, so be courteous.

Replies:
Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 10:45am
Didnt we just do this??

:'}

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 10:50am
When was the last refresh of what's posted? It seems like a lot of people have forgotten, or have never read them.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 1:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[:)]Seat Belts - it's understood that both drivers and passengers should buckle-up. Drivers please allow the slugs time before leaving the parking lot. The driver gets the ticket for passengers not buckled up.

This is incorrect unless the passenger is under the age of 16. Assuming the passenger is that age or older, the passenger gets the ticket (front-seat passenger, of course, as the seat belt law doesn't apply to the back seat--but if you ride in my car, you wear the seat belt or you will be discharged on the shoulder).

Posted By: Moody Girl
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 1:32pm
"The line does not leave a woman standing alone. Call it chivalry or simply thoughtfulness towards the safety of others, but this rule has certainly helped many women feel safer. Notice that I said "the line," because the rule applies to both men and women. It works like this: If the line has three people left in it and the driver needs only two in order to meet the HOV-3 requirement, the "line" should ensure that a woman is not left standing. Either a man forfeits his place in line so that he is left standing, or the ride is declined until another slug arrives. Or, it is acceptable to ask the driver if he will take more slugs in order to clear the line. Whatever the situation, the intent is not to leave a woman standing alone on the street, especially at night."

I recall several occasions when I have been left standing alone. In the several years that I have been slugging, I have only seen a gentleman give up his place in line for a lady once. This was very sweet and unfortunately very rare. It seems as though, when it comes to getting home.....chivalry is dead.[V]

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 4:09pm
That's why I'm all for reviewing the rules, and getting them out to the people. BTW, down at Rt3, it's pretty common for a gent to give up his place so that a female is not left standing alone. Especially on those dark mornings. For the most part, you are correct - the feminazis drove chivalry straight into the grave.

I think we should all determine what's fair, get the admin to update the site, then print out copies and pass them out.

Posted By: shahedC
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 5:25pm
I got one rule that covers all:

[:)] Use Common Sense

Every sensible recommendation in the "rules" should be known by all slugs, those who have common sense. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

It's nice to see the rules posted here, and hopefully those who have never seen the list will not have to be reminded. They should no what's right and what's wrong.

Posted By: msticaries
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2005 at 7:46am
I do not post often, BUT please when you exit someone's car please Do not slam the doors. I had the doors slammed so hard the car shakes.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net