Print Page | Close Window

Red/Blue Light Drivers?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2110
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 9:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Red/Blue Light Drivers?
Posted By: Mr. B
Subject: Red/Blue Light Drivers?
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 8:35am
Excuse my ignorance, but can someone please bring me up to speed on the the single car drivers that are allowed to travel the HOV with their red or blue light sitting on the dash. There seems to be a rash of them popping up in all types of vehicles now from SUV's to smaller Toyota's. At first I assumed they all belonged to some type of emergency response unit but that theory was dispelled this morning when I saw another single-driver driving an E-Class Mercedes (wearing his business suit and tie) with the blue light on his dash.[?]

Replies:
Posted By: flatulentsluggerhugger
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 9:30am
Sounds like some people are playing the "trick game" by impersonating law enforcement. I would think that these type vehicles should have government plates on them, if not, well then is impersonating law enforcement a misdemeanor or felony?

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!

Posted By: Mr. B
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:09am
Thanks for the list of rules and obviously they all make perfect sense except there never seems to be any emergency they are responding to except trying to get to work on time. I'm not a speeder but I seem to pass several of them everyday as they cruise alone.

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:16am
Well, sadly the rules don't say "law enforcement vehicles responding to an emergency" are exempt, they just say that "law enforcement vehicles", regardless of purpose, are exempt from HOV requirements.

I believe impersonating a law enforcement officer is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which means up to 12 months in jail or fine up to $2500, or both.

Posted By: msticaries
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:16am
I would like to test the theory that they are NOT all law enforcement but cheaters, by putting one of those blue lights on my dash. hmm where can I buy a blue light like that?

:)

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:39am
I'm curious about that theory also. I'll let msticaries try it and report back to us. We'll come visit you in jail.

Posted By: EnufisEnuf
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:40am
I'm trying to find "panarican". She asked me for a date. Are you there PanaRican? Shall we meet at Llaredo?

Posted By: PanaRican
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:53am
Where is Llaredo? I've heard of that place.

Posted By: flatulentsluggerhugger
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 11:17am
msticaries, go to KMART to get your blue light, THEY HAVE TONS OF THEM!!!!

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 11:32am
PanaRican Lady - how about Orentique on Thursday night? They have a latin night and great food. I'll buy you just come!

Posted By: coulbc
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 11:35am
What about a Hearse? If you have 2 in the front and one in back, Is it legal? Nothing says the passengers have to be alive. This is a real question, not a joke.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 11:54am
quote:
Originally posted by ohio 7
[br]I'm curious about that theory also. I'll let msticaries try it and report back to us. We'll come visit you in jail.

Now Ohio if you had said y'all would BAIL me out of jail, I would do it. [:D]

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 11:56am
quote:
Originally posted by flatulentsluggerhugger
[br]msticaries, go to KMART to get your blue light, THEY HAVE TONS OF THEM!!!!

for sale?? I really don't want to have to steal one. [;)]

As for a dead body, I know back in AZ a woman who was preggers tried to get out of a ticket by saying that her "baby" qualified as a person. NOT.

Posted By: HybridDriver
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 12:10pm
quote:
Originally posted by msticaries

As for a dead body, I know back in AZ a woman who was preggers tried to get out of a ticket by saying that her "baby" qualified as a person. NOT.

But if you kill a preganant woman* you get charged with killing two people. Figure that one out!

*I'm not endordorsing this. [;)]

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 12:22pm
Apples and oranges. Babies don't drive, so allowing a baby to count towards HOV isn't actually keeping another car off the road.

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 1:01pm
So if one of my slugs has a suspended driver license for getting a DUI or whatever, then he doesn't count toward 3?

I'd better start checking licenses.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 1:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by EnufisEnuf
[br]PanaRican Lady - how about Orentique on Thursday night? They have a latin night and great food. I'll buy you just come!

I might be more than you can handle. [:X] E-mail me off the forum and we can chat more.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 1:24pm
Should identical twins count as only one person since they have identical DNA?

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 1:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]Apples and oranges. Babies don't drive, so allowing a baby to count towards HOV isn't actually keeping another car off the road.

are you talking about a baby that has been born, cause if you are they do count.

Now a baby that is still in-mommy, doesn't count.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 1:54pm
Good point. I was referring to baby-in-mommy, not baby-in-car-seat. But in my mind NEITHER should count towards HOV - after all, if the purpose of HOV is to lower the number of cars on the road how does allowing a baby on HOV who wouldn't be driving anyway help reduce the number of cars? The numnber of cars stays the same.

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 2:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]
7. Buses designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver.

AHA! There's my loophole. It doesn't say you must have any passengers.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: beecee
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 2:32pm
True, Carleric. It's probably a matter of administrative ease to simply count noses and not distinguish between those who could or could not otherwise be operating another vehicle themselves.

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 2:37pm
Anyone know where I can buy a 16 passenger hybrid bus?

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 2:39pm
Um, can you give me your email address?

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:00pm
quote:
[br]Um, can you give me your email address?

Um, check my profile or brchta215@yahoo.com

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:05pm
LOL, I find very funny the interaction between panarican and enufisenuf in the middle of the discussion.:-)

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:07pm
I think law enforcement is permitted because of their duties of possibly having to respond to an emergency at any given time. I think they should be exempt from HOV rules. Now, someone impersonating an officer is a different set of circumstances. Not only are they violating HOV rules, but impersonating an enforcement officer is serious.

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:14pm
Me too! I wonder if they will like one another when they finally meet! They may find they aren't what they think they are or they may be standing right behind each other in the slug line and already know one another, wouldn't that be funny?

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:14pm
Lol, true koakui.

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]I think law enforcement is permitted because of their duties of possibly having to respond to an emergency at any given time. I think they should be exempt from HOV rules.

I don't buy this. They have lights and can easily jump over to the HOVs if there is a need. Are we going to let all off duty firefighters in the HOVs also?

Posted By: gtivr6ps
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:22pm
I personnaly dont agree with every law enforcement being able to drive in HOV. If you are in a marked car, yes. Undercover Yes. But the Special Agent in Charge (IE Team LeadProgram Manager) who was a cop 20 years ago and is still allowed to carry a gun, drive a GOV vehicle with a light, now that just seems to be a little "above the law"

Posted By: beecee
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:36pm
Law enforcement exception and others are probably subject to abuse, just like folks sometimes using handicap hangers on their rear view mirror when not proplery entitled to or when it's just plain unnecessary.

Posted By: shahedC
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 3:43pm
or maybe they will finally meet in person, and they will find that they are each other's spouse!!!

I hope that neither of them are married... :)

Anyway, feel free to post here how your date went. :)

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 4:13pm

I don't buy this. They have lights and can easily jump over to the HOVs if there is a need. Are we going to let all off duty firefighters in the HOVs also?

The rules are vague; however, VDOT or someone should let slugs know exactly what the deal is. I agree that the policy could be and probably is circumvented because of the general nature of the rules statement.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 4:32pm
She wants me, what can I say? Did I say I was a latin man aka lady's man? What can I do but beat the chicks off of my leg! My third leg. I'm a camera man![8D]

Posted By: Moody Girl
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 4:57pm
Enuf truly IS Enuf, Please excuse me while I vomit! [xx(]

All better, now, let me get this straight......if you are so hot......why are you using SL.com to pick up women?

It seems to me, if you are such a stud, you would have to beat the real women away with a stick. Right? [;)]

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2005 at 6:07pm
Moody girl - like I told you last night - I already have a date with the latin girl online here. I can't do Friday night. I can fit you in next week if you'll stop being so moody! There is plenty to go around. Calm down.[;)]

Posted By: Moody Girl
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 1:54pm
quote:
[br]Moody girl - like I told you last night - I already have a date with the latin girl online here. I can't do Friday night. I can fit you in next week if you'll stop being so moody! There is plenty to go around. Calm down.[;)]

Congratulations! Your desperation paid off and you have a date. [:0]

As per our discussion last night......make sure you leave the bag on your head and do your best to conceal that hump on your back as we don't want to scare the young lady off. [;)] I wish her all the best.

As for me, there is no need to spread the wealth. I have someone very special at home who loves me and all of my moods. [:X]

Posted By: miltrade
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 3:00pm
Make sure to bring three bags, one for your head, one for hers just in case yours falls off, and one for anybody else that happens upon you both together.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 8:10pm
carleric,
I think it's proper to count all people. If you can't count children because they can't drive, then you can't count illegal aliens, or anyone without a drivers license since they aren't allowed to drive either. Oh yeah, if someone doesn't own a car they can't count towards HOV-3 either.

I can see an argument for allowing pregnant women to count as two, but it's not really enforceable.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2005 at 8:13pm
I didn't mention another group of drivers I've seen cheating in HOV. People in cars with FOP specialty plates driving solo. There's not a lot of them, but I've seen several over the summer.

Posted By: HybridDriver
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 7:46am
How about the really obese? If they have to pay for 2 tickets on Southwest, then they should only need to pick up one more person in HOV - or none, depending on their gross tonnage.

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2005 at 4:08pm
You guys truly are a funny bunch! Thanks for the laughs. They made my day. I'm new to the dating game so I don't see why slug-lines is a bad place. At any rate, I'm a serious poster so I want to be taken serious. I just need to get moody girl to stop emailing me.

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2005 at 4:47pm
MDC, funny you should mention the FOP folks. I happen to have those tags, and my wife and I were having a joking conversation about how I could pick up the red/blue lights and do that. However, I know that I'm not eligible to use the HOV when I'm in my personal vehicle running solo, so I only do it with slugs.

The only thing I can say to your statement is perhaps those FOP folks are "on-duty", even in their personal vehicles. I think it varies with the respective agency. But if they're not, then they should play by the rules.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net