Print Page | Close Window

Time to start tipping

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2143
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Time to start tipping
Posted By: 122582
Subject: Time to start tipping
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 5:31pm
OK, the tip jar is coming out. Gas is ridiculous, and the slow lanes aren't that bad with all the new slugs in line.

Suggested tips:
Rt3/Rt17 to Pentagon -$5.00
610 to Pentagon - $4.00
234 to Pentagon - $3.00
Up to the beltway to Pentagon - $2.00
Inside the beltway to Pentagon - $1.00

Replies:
Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 8:23pm
I say we just sell the items left in our cars on ebay. :D

Posted By: SlugR
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 9:55pm
OK, the tip jar is coming out

OK, the bus tokens are coming out.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 11:31pm
If you want a tip, just go to the slow lanes both ways for two weeks, no change in plans. Either you find they are not that bad and use them from that point on, or you come back and thank me for waiting for a ride each way for about 35-40 minues each day, and standing out there in heat, rain, cold weather, and snow. And by the way, I won't ask you for a tip for my time standing out there waiting for a ride...

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 6:51am
If 122582 wants his/her gas costs reduced he/she should form a car pool and have the drivers alternate using their own cars each week. We've done that for 8 years from Burke with 4 members, and it works great. We pick up slugs on Old Keene Mill Rd slug lines (no charge or tips required) when 2 of the 4 car pool members are traveling, on vacation, or have a day off. That's usually a couple times a month.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: avalanche22
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:16am
LOL.. 122582 Good luck. You already talked about this in another tread. I guess you will be the last truck to leave the sluglines each morning. I guess you will be heading in at 9:00 AM each morning and leaving at 6:00 PM each afternoon. Nobody is going to ride with you if you ask for tips. So either find a car pool or stop bitching.... Pick one or the other.

Posted By: cdatkins
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:24am
Slugging is mutually beneficial regardless of the price of gas.

Posted By: coulbc
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:39am
The cost of Gas is lower when you pick up slugs. Try burning fuel when idling in the regular lanes. Between wasted time and fuel cost, picking up slugs is still in your best financial interest. Also, any money obtained through tips is taxable income.

Posted By: Dhacim
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:52am
put the tip jar out....I dare you, watch what happens to it, and your slugs. :0

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 10:51am
If I could find folks to carpool with, I'd form a carpool over picking up slugs. I'm with 122582 on this. The cost is becoming a bit much, but a really bothersome aspect found in the responses to his not too gracious posting is the much less sympathetic responses of those found after his original posting.

Maybe it's just the new slugs this week (compounded after a 2 week vacation of not commuting), but the shine is starting to come off picking up some of the folks out there. I can imagine it's folks who have not yet referred to this website to ascertain the guidelines, but there does seem to be an expectation that borders on being owed something from the drivers.

This week's experiences: multiple cell phone calls received/placed, assumed "3rd slug" PRIVILEGEs, a scratch in the side of my car from an obviously overweight slug who couldn't drag themselves and their gear out of the car without damaging something.

The responses here so far do indicate something we all might want to think about, eh?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: gmugrad
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 11:57am
Well 10 dollars a day each way is a lot. I mean for that I might as well drive. I have free parking but I personally don't like to drive so I slug. I think if this became a rule you would find less slugs out there. Yes I can get into a car pool or take the bus. Slugging is just eaiser right now.

I just think slugging helps both parties to get to work. More slugs would drive if there are fewer drivers. I drive on bad days when the wait is to much.

Now my question would be do sluggers then get to choose what car they get into if they have to tip. I mean 5 bucks for the nice caddie SUV ride is better then 5 bucks for a stripped down two dorr civic.

Also if a VW that gets 40 miles per gallon pulls up is the tip less?

I think if we need to tip drivers shoulld post average mile per gallon and required tip so we can shop for the best ride then.

Posted By: slugcarrier
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:07pm
I'm inclined to agree with you N or S Bound. The vast majority of slugs I pick up are very nice, in fact I have a couple of them I really enjoy riding and talking with so if I see them in line I always offer them the ride no matter what order in line they are in....as is my prerogative. I had one yesterday morning though who looked at me crosseyed because I dropped them 1 block from their building and not directly in front LOL!! That one won't be allowed in my car again.

As for tips, I think those suggested amounts for tips are a little out of line. I realize I also get a benefit in that picking up allows me to get on the HOV, and know I am not running a for profit taxi service. However, with the recent big increases in gas prices, I don't think putting a voluntary tip can out in view labeled as such would be considered out of line. Heck, I would appreciate .25 or .50 from each of 2 slugs if they felt like chipping in. That would at least bring my gas costs down to the pre-NO disaster level and a little more in line with what it was a year ago.

And yes I have a nice car that is conducive to naps too.

Posted By: protocol
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:13pm
Gas prices go up EVERY year. Is our "obligation" to tip triggered by ANY increase in gas prices, or only "major" increases in gas prices? if so, what constitutes "major?"

(yes, yes, I know. Obligation is the wrong word. I can't think today. Forgive me.)

Slugcarrier, someone looks at you funny and you ban them from your car for all eternity? As long as their mouth is shut, why do you honestly care?

Posted By: slugcarrier
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by protocol
[br]Gas prices go up EVERY year. Is our "obligation" to tip triggered by ANY increase in gas prices, or only "major" increases in gas prices? if so, what constitutes "major?"

(yes, yes, I know. Obligation is the wrong word. I can't think today. Forgive me.)

Slugcarrier, someone looks at you funny and you ban them from your car for all eternity? As long as their mouth is shut, why do you honestly care?

Where did I say "obligation?" I could have sworn I said "voluntary" and would be "appeciated." Sorry but, there are too many nice people in this world to have to put up with those with a 'tude, and that is what this one had. I have no time for people like that, maybe you do or maybe your are one LOL!!!!

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:50pm
I think most drivers are going to drive anyway, regardless of whether they are in the main lanes or in HOV. So you are going to pay for gas no matter what.

Slugging is mostly about cutting down the commute time. You give someone a ride (to a destination you are going anyway) and they allow you to do it more quickly.

So I can't see the logic in asking slugs to chip in for the extra cost of gasoline.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:55pm
Slugging works because it is simple. Some people are nice, some are downright rude. It's no different than any other aspect of daily life. Once you start asking for tips, things get much more complicated. Unless everyone asks for tips, you will be sitting there all alone while people go for a free ride first. Suppose they only have 20's? gonna make change? Bad idea all around.

Posted By: nursechapel
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 1:03pm
I don't know about the suggested tip amounts, but the bus costs me $20 per day when I take it, and he's asking for only $10.

I drive and ride, so I don't think I would ever tip, however I've met a lot of slugs that haven't driven in years. I think those folks should pony up.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 1:09pm
So, will you go through the drivers looking for the best bargain NurseChapel? If you are going to pay, might as well choose a nice ride. I drive, have not slugged in a while. The agrrement has been that drivers pick up and drop off slugs with no money changing hands. You cannot suddenly start telling them to pay up. It's an unwritten social contract. I know gas is darned expensive, but this tipping thing is a big mistake. How could you ever determine a realistic tip? Do big SUV drivers get more than economy car drivers? Newer cars worth more? Dirty seats mean a 10% discount?

Posted By: KCWolfPck
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 1:33pm
I really don't even care about this topic because I vanpool and the gas price increases only mean a matter of a couple dollars a month to me.

ANYWAY....if you want to start to enforce "tipping", the only way I can see this starting is by all of the drivers boycotting the slug lines. All of the stranded sluggers would then actually have to pay to get to work and would happily jump at the chance of tipping a small percentage of that in order to slug again.

I feel the tips proposed by the OP are way high...something along the lines of 1/5th that amount seems fairer.

So....WHO'S GOING TO START THE DRIVERS STRIKE????????????

Posted By: avalanche22
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:02pm
Nobody... Everybody going to keep slugging and driving. We can vent about gas prices all day, for those drivers that are complaining about gas and tips need park there car and catch a free ride with everybody else.

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:03pm
NurseChapel, you say the bus costs you $20 "when you take it," which sounds like you aren't often on the bus (if I'm wrong, I apologize, and ignore the rest of this paragraph). Well, the $10 that you say is less would be an every day expense, so I'm thinking the daily $10 would end up being a LOT more than the occasional $20.

I should have to "pony up" because I don't generally drive? I confess that I do not understand that argument. Is it only people who NEVER drive who should have to pay, or does that include people like me who will drive a couple of times a year?

Choosing numbers is more like setting a fee, and less like a "tip."

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:04pm
NO PAYING FOR SLUGGING!! I appreciate the drivers, but it is their choice for whatever reason, decent parking, convenience of driving yourself....I've got enough bills to pay..as we all do,

:'}

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:26pm
I certainly think that there are some who will start asking for tips if gas goes to 4.00 per gallon, due to the hurricane. The oil companies are making record profits, and this is a good opportunity for them to make even more. Once the ball starts rolling, expect the discussions about HOT and HYBRIDS to be downright calm compared to the tipping issue.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by coulbc
[br]I certainly think that there are some who will start asking for tips if gas goes to 4.00 per gallon, due to the hurricane. The oil companies are making record profits, and this is a good opportunity for them to make even more. Once the ball starts rolling, expect the discussions about HOT and HYBRIDS to be downright calm compared to the tipping issue.

The demand side does just as much to run up the price as the supply side. If supply is limited (as is the case with the Katrina damage) then consumers are willing to pay more to ensure they get gas.

Posted By: hotscr17
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:46pm
Here's a tip for you. No one told you that you have to drive. So if it's costing too much, get at the back of the slug line. Just be ready to stand in line for an hour or so.

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 3:01pm
Yea, if you can't afford to drive without tips, stop doing it.
Unless the HOT thing totally screws up the HOV, there will be plenty of others willing to pick up slugs to beat the traffic.
If you decide to do it though, I suggest you form a separate line somewhere, because you will foul up the regular lines when riders see your jar and bail out on you.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: Route 17 Slugger
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 3:18pm
I agree with you Sludge. $ = carpool or vanpool

122582, you are too much -- why don't you try carpoolconnect.com or carpoolworld.com? I bet your truck is a gas guzzler too, huh? Why don't you try slugging a couple days a week? Oh, no bottom feeding for you? awww. Go ahead and ride in those regular lanes since they are sooo much better now...I double dogg dare you! By the way, your new nickname is cranky pants! ROFLMAO [:X]

don't go hatin'...there's always slugs a waitin'!!!

quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]If 122582 wants his/her gas costs reduced he/she should form a car pool and have the drivers alternate using their own cars each week. We've done that for 8 years from Burke with 4 members, and it works great. We pick up slugs on Old Keene Mill Rd slug lines (no charge or tips required) when 2 of the 4 car pool members are traveling, on vacation, or have a day off. That's usually a couple times a month.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: gmugrad
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 3:32pm
Wait what if I drive twice a week. Can I have a get out of tipping free car because i drive too?

Also if they are tipping does that mean they get door to door service?

Also some of us do get our companies to pay for the bus but we perfer to slug. Maybe we should just start riding the bus for free then and deal with the paper work.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:27pm
It seems that someone needs to do a RLD type of campaign to get the drivers organized to all request tips. Then the system would be fair.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:09am
I scored $3 this morning.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:17am
GMU, I'm not targeting drivers who slug sometimes. Also never said you couldn't ride if you don't tip, just that tips are appreciated.

I'm targeting bottom feeders who never drive, whine take 3, take 4, leave trash, slam doors, and are otherwise freeloading.

Call me a mean guy, but if the shoe fits...

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:53am
Bottom feeders huh? I would say smart riders. Some of us have to pay up to $20 per day for parking plus whatever gas it takes to get to work, so if it means saving money everyday by slugging, it makes us smarter, not bottom feeders..

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:01am
If you're "requesting" a tip, then it's NOT a tip. That's a fee. Tips are, by nature, voluntary. Sure, put the jar out but don't be surprised when you find only quarters in it.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:14am
So considering I'm saving you $20 per day parking (and you're probably getting a subsidy for that), plus gas, plus aggravation, you are merely confirming your status as a bottom feeder by not expressing your gratitude in the form of a tip.

As for what you save me? A total of 40 minutes of my day. That's all.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:23am
Why are tips appropriate now as opposed to six months ago? What level of gas price triggers the "obligation" to tip? Is there a threshold gas price where above which we tip and below which we don't? (and, as I said on another thread, if I'm obligated to tip, it's NOT a tip, but a payment or a fee)

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:39am
Let's see here. the people that drive pretty much do so since they don't have a choice. You pick up slugs to save you time so that you don't have to get up earlier, don't waste gas sitting in traffic. so we're doing you a favor, while in return we're getting favor by getting a ride to work. go ahead, don't pick up slugs, we don't care. we'll just find a carpool or take the train. slugging is a mutual benefit for both parties, and once you starting thinking tipping should be involved, it defeats the whole purpose of why slugging was even created.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:46am
quote:
Originally posted by hotscr17
[br] slugging is a mutual benefit for both parties, and once you starting thinking tipping should be involved, it defeats the whole purpose of why slugging was even created and THAT IS WHY I THINK SLUGGING SHOULD CEASE TO EXIST!!!

EXACTLY!!!!![8D]

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:50am
kcwp,

A little bit of editorial license in your "quote". I thought a quote was just that, a quote, not to be edited to make it sound like someone else is supporting your position by you putting your words in their post.

Maybe I missed something in English classes.

NoSb

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:52am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]I scored $3 this morning.

The "professional" homeless on the streets of DC do much better. Why not use your cup at lunch - no driving involved.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:54am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]
Maybe I missed something in English classes.

They don't teach that in English class. [:D]

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:35am
Well, I for one will not be riding with 122582. Please make sure to let riders know that you will be collecting a toll PRIOR to getting in the car. I'm sure you'll quickly be identified as a 'pirate' and riders will avoid you when you are in the line. As a matter of fact, if you identify yourself as the author of this idea, I'll avoid you starting tomorrow! Good luck!

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 6:49pm
Only $2 coming home today, but that made $5 total so far. This could catch on.

Posted By: Rosebud
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 8:49am
What a bunch of cheap people. You all talk as though you are owed something. I hope most of us drivers become slugs and the lines become so long, so sit and wait and wait.

I'll tell you what. If your that adamant about not paying, the next time someone says "will you take a third", I'll "just say no" or maybe I'll say "will you tip".

Drivers - Do not take an extra people, only take the minimum. Extra weight requires more gas. Turn off the AC. make these cheap punks sweat a little.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 9:23am
Rosebud,
If I tip, do I have any say in AC or radio station or drop off point? After all, I am then paying for a service. Do I get any new rights with my new obligation to pay?
I hear what you're saying. Gas prices pass a certain level, so riders should tip. But what is that level? Can I stop tipping if prices go down? If so, what dollar amount triggers tipping?

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 9:28am
Wolfpack, you're in a vanpool - why in the world are you even on this site? And you're becoming an instigator where one is NOT wanted. Go back to sleeping in your seat and don't start trouble.

Posted By: Rosebud
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 10:37am
I'll tell you what CarlEric. If you want to pay taxi fee's, I'll drive you anywhere. We are talking about a buck you cheap punk.

Give me five bucks I'll let you play with the radio buttons.

Give me 10 bucks and I'll sing to you.

Whatever makes you happy....

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 12:51pm
So it's a buck from anywhere? The same buck gets me into DC from Springfield or Stafford? That seems unfair to the drivers.
I guess my problem is everyone's sense of entitlement: some drivers seem to be saying "you should want to tip me" because prices are so high. Why now? What is the magic number for gas prices? I am to tip after gas crosses X dollars - well, what is X? Seriously, when am I "supposed" to tip?

signed,
the Cheap Punk

PS: Look, no one's saying you can't charge people to ride in your car. But that's not slugging. That's something else.

Posted By: Yankees1
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 1:32pm
quote:
[br]OK, the tip jar is coming out. Gas is ridiculous, and the slow lanes aren't that bad with all the new slugs in line.

Suggested tips:
Rt3/Rt17 to Pentagon -$5.00
610 to Pentagon - $4.00
234 to Pentagon - $3.00
Up to the beltway to Pentagon - $2.00
Inside the beltway to Pentagon - $1.00

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 4:25pm
Only a buck today, but I'm not givign up.

Posted By: EnufisEnuf
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 4:30pm
Go away 122. No one is gonna pay you. In fact, we'd all rather take the bus. Go take the regular lanes to/from DC and then get back to us about that dollar thing. You'll be paying the slugs a dollar to ride with you. You know its true.

Posted By: dickboyd
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 9:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
[br]<>

Give me 10 bucks and I'll sing to you.

<>

[:D]Would you consider $15 for NOT singing?[}:)]

dickboyd@aol.com

Posted By: AZ Man
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2005 at 6:32pm
Drivers need SLUGS and SLUGS need drivers. If you want people to pay, form a carpool (someone posted that back towards the beginning), I do and they pay an amount for each way and they SLUG during my vacation time. Carpool allows payment on an agreed amount, everyone wins in that situation. SLUGS shouldn't have to pay, they offer a service to give us drivers HOV rights, that's the payoff right there. 40 extra minutes riding by yourself in the regular lanes equal to how much gas? I do NOT want to be driving all this time and then decide to SLUG and see a "tip" jar in the car that makes me feel obligated to pay for a service that we both benefit from, that's rude and uncalled for. Same thing for SLUGs getting in a car and "expect" some form of service to be 100% comfortable and think it's their own office.

If you charge or ask for "tips" then the SLUGS should receive "rights" to your vehicle, adjust temp control, windows, seats, use cell phones, eat, etc... YOU become a "commercial" vehicle, etc, etc, etc.... 122, I appreciate the service you provide SLUGS but you MUST appreciate the service SLUGS provides you and if you really are digusted with the price of gas, get your carpool going, ask people to form one, it'll work out better for you. I've been MORE than pleased with mine.

From another viewpoint, the only time a "tip" would be taken by me or should be offered by SLUG is when their picked up before/after HOV time starts, i.e., SLUGs are in the Rt 3 line starting before 0430 expecting to be picked-up and HOV pick-up time their is usually around 0515-0530 but that's the only time I'd take money from SLUGS. I've received money for picking up SLUGS when I worked late and dropped people off at the 610 on the way home after HOV times (normally not many people waiving a sign for Rt 3 after HOV times have expired) because I'm the only one providing the service and, at this point, I would ask for money as well (before they got in the car).

Posted By: dickboyd
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2005 at 7:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Man
[br]<<>>I would ask for money as well (before they got in the car).

Taking money for a slug ride is tricky when you consider liability insurance. Taking ANY money is considered COMMERCIAL service on MOST policies. Accepting nominal costs is allowed on SOME policies. If you do talk to your insurance agent regarding how much you can accept and under what conditions there are some things to expect.

Cost of automobile operation is about 60 cents a mile. Half is depreciation, maintenance and parking fees. One-quarter is gasoline and one-quarter is insurance (roughly). If your private automobile insurer allows you to accept "gratuities", don't expect to take more than the one-quarter (15 cents a mile). On a nominal 20 mile commute, the most you could accept without jeopradizing your insurance is $3. One dollar from each of the three slugs. Some insurance companies may be willing to allow pro rata acceptance up to what IRS allows for mileage (35 cents a mile??).

On the other hand, most insurance companies will discount your policy if you drive fewer miles. For instance in a car pool in which you drive only one day in five. In that sense, insurance rates encourage car pools.

Van pools will be covered by commercial policies. Even at that, the Shirley corridor vans are overcharged for insurance, in my opinion. There is no crash history on which to base a premium rate. The statistics just aren't there for a protected free flow commute. The only fatality I know of on the reversible lanes involve a State Trooper and a bus.

Has anyone ever seen a fender bender involving commuters on the reversible lanes? Does anyone have knowledge of a crash on the reversible lanes which required payment by an insurance company?

If any of you should get so motivated to speak at public meetings or talk to your human resources, some employers consider the commute of their employees in van pool as part of the employees duties. As such, part of the liability is covered under workman's compensation. This coverage is more common in companies that have satellite offices. My understanding is that federal employees cannot claim federal insurance for commuting crashes until private insurance is exhausted. In some places, as Oak Ridge National Labs, the employees get around this commuting exclusion by forming some type of corporate body for the purposes of transportation. Much as some federal employees form parking associations to negotiate better parking rates.

Patronize slug-lines.com advertisers, read the classifieds. Advertise in the classifieds.

dickboyd@aol.com

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 3:50am
Accidents happen in HOV too. I was rear ended by a certain type of Honda Civic before.

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 10:34am
My insurance company does not require additional coverage for running a carpool, which is what slugging really is. (drivers, do you have enough coverage?)

I incur the same liabilities whether I haul slugs for free, or whether they contribute a "tip" for gas money. Nice try Dick, but there are absolutely no legal considerations when accepting help with gas from a carpooler (slug).

To make slugging work there need to be more drivers than there are right now.

Don't be a bottomfeeder, tip your driver today.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:08am
Bottomfeeder? That refers to a shark who preys on unwilling victims. That is so far removed from the truth. Why don't you go to work for Flouer? You are the bottom feeder here. You incessantly attack your fellow man, you lie (as in I drive a Harley alot while purportedly collecting tips from slugs) and you grossly understate the value of time slugs save you (oh yeah you only save 20 minutes from fredericksburg round trip). Anyone who watches your posts know that you want to be a hybrid driver and go it alone. Go for it dude. Quite frankly, any slug who recognized you for being the goof you are would choose not to ride with you. I asked you about this before, you said 122582 was your license plate. Yeah right, VA allows that. You said you drive an audi, white, but yet later you said a truck and then a harley? Lets face it, you are here to cause trouble for the slugs and nothing else. You did a good job. Collect your Flouer check and be gone...

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:33am
MrSlug, I mean MrBottomFeeder,
I do own an Audi, a Dodge Ram, and a Harley. I reiterate just to keep your feeble mind straight.

Yes, I have been riding the Hog a lot lately, as well as driving my other two vehicles.

To fourther demonstrate your feebleness of mind, my previous post said slugging save me 40 minutes per day, not 20 minutes round trip.

I suggest you and your bottom feeding contemporaries not come here any more to whine about the wait, the AC, the cars, the speed, etc.

You are the type of slug I refer to when I say bottom feeder - an ingorant, whining moron who can't get his or her facts straight.

BTW, $3.00 this morning. Not all slugs are bottom feeders, but this forum seems to attract them.
I

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 9:15am
quote:
[br]MrSlug, I mean MrBottomFeeder,
I do own an Audi, a Dodge Ram, and a Harley. I reiterate just to keep your feeble mind straight.

Yes, I have been riding the Hog a lot lately, as well as driving my other two vehicles.

To fourther demonstrate your feebleness of mind, my previous post said slugging save me 40 minutes per day, not 20 minutes round trip.

I suggest you and your bottom feeding contemporaries not come here any more to whine about the wait, the AC, the cars, the speed, etc.

You are the type of slug I refer to when I say bottom feeder - an ingorant, whining moron who can't get his or her facts straight.

BTW, $3.00 this morning. Not all slugs are bottom feeders, but this forum seems to attract them.
I

yea, and I gave $1.00 to a beggar on the street today in your honor. I think you have missed your calling.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: bbb
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:06pm
Riders - I bet if you held up a sign that you will tip a driver, you will get picked up sooner than the people ahead of you in line! [:I]

Posted By: Max_28756
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:18pm
We're going down a path few want to follow. SLUGing is free. Next, charge SLUGs to ride. Next, charge everyone to ride in HOV. Next, SLUGing, carpooling, bus services gone due to overcrowded HOV (oops, I mean HOT) lanes.
You have the right not to pick up SLUGs. You have the right not to drive to save gas. Don't think you have the right to charge me for your choice.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:24pm
Don't wory folks....this will all sort itself out. With fewer and fewer drivers and more and more slugs, there will be a shift in demand. If the trend continues, people will get tired of waiting in the slug lines for extended periods of time waiting for a ride that will never come. The slugs will then resort to the bus, train, or car and wish they had the opportunity to pay that driver picking up slugs for the $1.00 fee. With slugs not willing to pay a measly little fee...they are only speeding up their own demise. It's too bad they can't, or aren't willing to see it that way.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:38pm
So, we've settled on $1.00 as the "proper" amount to tip? That seems more symbolic than functional, honestly. Is the goal of the tip to symbolically express appreciation and maybe financial assistance, or is it to legitimately help defray the cost? If everyone tips the same, doesn't that screw drivers from Stafford, say, and really benefit drviers from, say, Springfield?

Like I've said before on this site, if riders pay a FEE, then that's NOT slugging. That's a carpool. If that's what certain drivers would like to do, more power to them. There are avenues for setting that up, and this site is not one of them.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:48pm
It's interesting how folks use the terms "fee" and "tip" interchangeably. That seems to be a commentary on our understanding of what tips and fees really are.

While I'll not solicit any money, I would not turn down someone offering to help with the cost of gas. It would be entirely on them as to IF they want to give something and HOW MUCH they feel like giving.

I don't EXPECT anything, but am always hopeful that folks would express their thanks in any way they feel is appropriate. Most of my slugs thus far have expressed their thanks with some friendly conversation and a thank you at the end of the ride. That's more than adequate, but I sure wouldn't turn down someone's thoughtful offer of offsetting the cost of the ride.

I can afford the ride on my own dime or I wouldn't be doing it.

It's the thought that counts here.

NoSb

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 3:17pm
Go away 122. Why are you still here mingling with the bottom feeders? No one invited you yet you continue to stay. If you hate us slugs then why stay and complain? That is every single one of your posts, to complain, complain about how slugs service you. IF you don't want the service, then don't take it. Its America and you are free to travel as you wish!

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 3:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]So, we've settled on $1.00 as the "proper" amount to tip? That seems more symbolic than functional, honestly. Is the goal of the tip to symbolically express appreciation and maybe financial assistance, or is it to legitimately help defray the cost? If everyone tips the same, doesn't that screw drivers from Stafford, say, and really benefit drviers from, say, Springfield?

Like I've said before on this site, if riders pay a FEE, then that's NOT slugging. That's a carpool. If that's what certain drivers would like to do, more power to them. There are avenues for setting that up, and this site is not one of them.

Honestly, I really don't care how you all decide how much is appropriate...I don't slug or drive. That is for you all to negotiate. Perhaps it could be added to the slug etiquette here on the site? I don't think gas milage for a specific vehicle should have anything to do with it. I think it should be different rates depending on the pick-up and destination point....just like a bus or train. And I don't think it should be a tip....it should be a fee. Something way cheaper than it would cost to take a bos/train, but still help out with the higher costs of commuting these days.

Like I said....something to consider before slugging goes bye-bye. And by the way...paying a driver a small fee does not make a carpool. Carpools generally have the same people at the same times. It's still slugging, but it is a little more balanced out so the sluggers aren't taking the drivers to the cleaners.

Posted By: shep
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 4:14pm
I understand this is a slug website, but speaking of carpooling and cash... consider this a cry for help, a venting, whatever. I've posted on this site under I66 topics, mostly proposed new line forums since there isn't much of a slugging presence out west. I've gotten a few recent responses wanting to know how much I "charge" people to join my carpool. My current partner and I trade driving and parking responsibilities weekly. When I explain this to the potential carpoolers, they claim they don't want to drive into DC but would contribute towards gas and parking. I calculated an amount to "charge" these non-driving riders based on the federal mileage rate and the daily parking fee.

The current government reimbursement rate for mileage is 40.5 cents per mile. It's 46 miles roundtrip from Stringfellow P&R to DC ($.405*46 miles = $18.63). Add in $9/day for early bird parking. Cost to travel roundtrip to DC is $27.63 per day.

To park at Vienna metro station and metro roundtrip to Foggy Bottom is $11.55/day.

I suggested a fee of $10/roundtrip to ride and never drive. The potential carpoolers scoff at this amount. I realize this may seem high, but newsflash: it's expensive to drive and park in DC. Carpooling is different from slugging in that a rider is expected to contribute more than their warm body. Ten dollars is less than the cost of metroing, and you get the comforts of a private vehicle and an arranged daily ride (no waiting in line). As a carpool driver, I'm not here to subsidize riders. Again, I realize this isn't directly slug-line.com fodder, but a little help please. Am I crazy? Any suggestions on an amount to "charge" these riders?

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 4:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by shep
[br] Am I crazy?

Not at all, this is very common in carpools.

I've never done it, but had a friend who "rode only" for $50 per month - parking was free (this was a few years back). The vanpools run about $125 per month for riders only (again, this was back a ways when I use to drive one).

Slugging is a different concept altogether.
Attempts to impose charges is as bad as the gas gouging and an insult to riders.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 4:34pm
As NoSB points out, there is a difference between a tip and a fee.

For all you feeble minded bottom-feeders, I'll recap my original post, and note that I've never used the word fee, only tip. My suggested tips are based upon half the price of a bus ride to the Pentagon.

I've also never said I'll refuse a ride from non-tippers, however if the presence of my tip jar causes decent people to reflect upon the vaule of the service I provide them, and they choose to contribute, then so be it.

Oh, and a full-time slug, who I've picked up many times, handed me $5.00 this afternoon.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 4:52pm
Shep, your $10 one way fare was certainly fair.

Now you understand the mindset of the bottom-feeder - if it ain't free, they don't want it.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 5:40pm
quote:
[br]I understand this is a slug website, but speaking of carpooling and cash... consider this a cry for help, a venting, whatever. I've posted on this site under I66 topics, mostly proposed new line forums since there isn't much of a slugging presence out west. I've gotten a few recent responses wanting to know how much I "charge" people to join my carpool. My current partner and I trade driving and parking responsibilities weekly. When I explain this to the potential carpoolers, they claim they don't want to drive into DC but would contribute towards gas and parking. I calculated an amount to "charge" these non-driving riders based on the federal mileage rate and the daily parking fee.

For years I paid $135 a month to drive 70 miles round trip and parking was included 135/20 = less than $7.00 per day

The current government reimbursement rate for mileage is 40.5 cents per mile. It's 46 miles roundtrip from Stringfellow P&R to DC ($.405*46 miles = $18.63). Add in $9/day for early bird parking. Cost to travel roundtrip to DC is $27.63 per day.

To park at Vienna metro station and metro roundtrip to Foggy Bottom is $11.55/day.

I suggested a fee of $10/roundtrip to ride and never drive. The potential carpoolers scoff at this amount. I realize this may seem high, but newsflash: it's expensive to drive and park in DC. Carpooling is different from slugging in that a rider is expected to contribute more than their warm body. Ten dollars is less than the cost of metroing, and you get the comforts of a private vehicle and an arranged daily ride (no waiting in line). As a carpool driver, I'm not here to subsidize riders. Again, I realize this isn't directly slug-line.com fodder, but a little help please. Am I crazy? Any suggestions on an amount to "charge" these riders?

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 5:44pm
quote:
[br]Shep, your $10 one way fare was certainly fair.

Now you understand the mindset of the bottom-feeder - if it ain't free, they don't want it.

122OU812, I have been ignoring your ignorant rants for the most part because you spit in the face of everything slugging is supposed to be. "Bottom Feeders" as you call them are already paying you, in all instances providing you with a blind trust that you will get them to work on time and in a safe fashion so that you can save some of your own precious time.

If you don't like em and think they are bottom feeders, stop picking them up. Trust me. Slugging WILL survive without you.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 5:58pm
DHABottom-feeder,
I can't put blind trust in my tank. Talk about ignorant posts!

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 6:23pm
The only "Feeding" I see going on is everyone actually responding to this raging dolt. Guess what? I made $4.00 today!!! Or did I? Well, I said it, so it must be true!! Did I even pick up slugs today? Did I telecommute? How would anybody really know what was going on? We shouldn't believe what we hear all the time and we CERTAINLY should take Mama's advice and ignore the ignoramous. Shhhhhhhh...maybe he/she/it will go away.......................

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:00pm
Erica, isn't it interesting that the most violent reactions to my posts come from slugs and not drivers?

No one would object so much if they didn't feel a little guilty.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 8:24am
quote:
[br] My current partner and I trade driving and parking responsibilities weekly.

I looked at your message again and realized that you are missing a factor in your calculations. A typical carpool consists of 5 persons, not 3. Each of the five is responsible for driving once a week. It doesn't work with three, because people have different days off or are sick, or ...
The two ways a non-driver typically participate is to:
1. Pay one of the others to drive twice a week
2. Pay the group and let them split the fee/responsibility.

It's just not cost effective to carpool with less than five and you will find yourself short of HOV restrictions too often (unless, of course you pick up slugs.)

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:01am
When I used to carpool (before the vanpool), we were quite successful with 4 in the carpool. Not sure why you'd need 5? It would be awefully crowded in the car on days when everyone came to work.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:19am
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]When I used to carpool (before the vanpool), we were quite successful with 4 in the carpool. Not sure why you'd need 5? It would be awefully crowded in the car on days when everyone came to work.

I agree. Thats one of the reasons I have not carpooled. But I did van pool and 15 passengers is quite cramped, no matter how well you like your seating partners (especially the 4 on the back seat).
The fact is though, we seldom had a full load. Even so, it turned me into a driver (plenty of room and no monthly cost).

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 11:49am
I was in a carpool where we had 11 people on the roles. We typically drove a van and car everyday. Had a schedule when folks were to drive and had some established rules to follow too, as both driver and riders. It worked well. I really liked those guys (yeah, no women, it was a man thing).

NoSb

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:09pm
quote:
[br]Erica, isn't it interesting that the most violent reactions to my posts come from slugs and not drivers?

Assuming my friend makes an ass out of you....

I'm a driver.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:24pm
And I'm the queen of England.

Posted By: tangelo53
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:00pm
Here is an idea 122..if you are hard up for the cash and need these tips, why do you insist on driving everyday? why not drive some days and slug some days?? Then you won't have to worry about tipping or receiving tips...it will all balance out in the end.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:38pm
quote:
[br]And I'm the queen of England.

Really, then you are wealthy enough to afford these gas prices without having to accept tips.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]
quote:
[br]Erica, isn't it interesting that the most violent reactions to my posts come from slugs and not drivers?

Assuming my friend makes an ass out of you....

I'm a driver.

Interesting, I'm a driver too. Anyone who has read any amount of my posts would know that. I wonder to whom he/she/it is referring.

Notice how the biggest asses get the most defensive and have to resort to other means of making others feel small or exposed?????[;)] Good try though.

Posted By: Pete P. Peters
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 5:54pm
I got a handjob from a slug a few weeks back. That's tip enough for me! Yipee for granny-hands!!!!

LET'S SLUG, BABY!!!

Posted By: BillyBackSeat
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 8:34pm
Well if we are going to tip then there should be rules. Or at least guidelines. Here's a shot at a suggested Tip Schedule

Car with Leg Room - $1.00
Comfortable Clean Seats - $1.00
Safe Driver - $1.00
Radio on Low - $1.00
Stuff not piled on floor - $1.00
Recently bathed driver - $2.00

Midget car with no legroom - minus $1.00
Dirty car with dirty stuff everywhere - minus $2.00
Driver using cell phone saying kissy kissy honey bunny - minus $3.00
Driver who talks and talks and talks - minus $4.00
Unsafe "Mario Andretti Wannabe" Driver - minus $5.00
Radio on Loud to a Rap Station - minus $10.00

Maybe some of the folks driving would lose money.

Hug a slug today

Posted By: nursechapel
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 8:45pm
And what about slug ratings?
Door slammer + $2.00
Cell Phone yakker + 2.00
Stinky slug + $5.00

FlatulentSlugger couldn't afford to get to D.C.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by nursechapel
[br]And what about slug ratings?
Door slammer + $2.00
Cell Phone yakker + 2.00
Stinky slug + $5.00

FlatulentSlugger couldn't afford to get to D.C.

:0). I was in a car the other day with someone who while sleeping in the backseat, farted. I thought the driver was going to have a stroke. Maybe even kick the guy out. Me, I just held my nose. I promise not to slam your door, be stinky or say kissy kissy honey bunny on my cell phone if I ride with you!

Hug a slug today

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 3:43pm
I'm bad off vacation.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 3:39pm
We all have gas. Let's face it. Sometimes accidents happen. The poor rider was probably ashamed but hey what can you do? [:D]

Posted By: vaqtpie
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 8:24pm
I left a few dollars on the back seat of a red Volvo today. I've been saving about $110 per week, so I figure why not? What do you drive 122582?

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2005 at 10:08am
Im not going to pay to slug. If the drivers dont like it, they can choose to use the main lanes. Drivers wont have much leverage to demand tips during times when there is an abundance of drivers waiting to pick up slugs, so I guess its all on supply and demand. So what if I dont pay, is the driver going to call the slug police, or are drivers demanding payment before delivery?

This new tipping idea is going to ruin the whole slugging concept which has gone without incident for over 20 years. This is obsurd.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 11:08am
Exactly right. That's why we need to ban all cars from the express lanes and go to buses only - and tolls if cars want to drive in them. Everyone gets to ride who pays their fair share. Oops, did I say FAIR? That word doesn't belong in the slug dictionary.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 9:58pm
Isn't the point of HOV to move traffic? How does banning all cars from HOV except for people who are willing to pay a toll move traffic? Is that FAIR to everyone else? If you want to drive alone on HOV buy a hybrid. And if it bothers you so much don't pick up slugs. We will get along without you.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Exactly right. That's why we need to ban all cars from the express lanes and go to buses only - and tolls if cars want to drive in them. Everyone gets to ride who pays their fair share. Oops, did I say FAIR? That word doesn't belong in the slug dictionary.

Hug a slug today

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 8:25am
VAqtpie, Nice gesture. I'm sure the driver didn't "demand a tip" and that makes your gesture all the more meaningful.

How does one demand a tip anyways?

NoSb

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 8:38am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]How does one demand a tip anyways?

Exactly right. The beggars on the street don't demand handouts (unless they are stoned.) Why should the beggars who drive cars be looked at any differently?

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 12:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]

Exactly right. The beggars on the street don't demand handouts (unless they are stoned.) Why should the beggars who drive cars be looked at any differently?

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Ummm....let me get this straight. A driver who just provided you a ride to work for free that asks for a tip is a beggar??? So what does that make the people standing in line asking for free rides?????

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 2:06pm

[:)][:)][8D][:)][:)] S L U G S !!!! [:)][:)][:D][:)][:)]

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 2:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]
Ummm....let me get this straight. A driver who just provided you a ride to work for free that asks for a tip is a beggar??? So what does that make the people standing in line asking for free rides?????

Well, in my opinion, those people are the same as those drivers that get to drive in HOV for free.
I would classify them (both) as people who find the most economical and efficient way to get to work and home as possible given their set of circumstances. Drivers drive not because they want to, but because they must. The two groups (drivers and riders) cooperate together because it's a win-win situation. Attempts to quantify the symbiosis between the parties in a falsely conceived economy (gas prices) is absolutely ridiculous. And my use of beggar as a sarcastic extreme is just as ridiculous and that's why I used it.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: savannahr1
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 4:05pm
I wouldn't be adverse for giving the driver a couple of bucks each way. Still cheaper than the bus, vanpool, train, etc.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 11:17pm
Now I'm a beggar for saving you $20 per day in commuting costs and asking you to consider a tip?

I was way too nice when I used the term bottom-feeder!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net