Print Page | Close Window

Slow down and save money

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2173
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 1:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Slow down and save money
Posted By: 122582
Subject: Slow down and save money
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 10:39am
I had to work Saturday, so I tried two tests. I drove to the Pentagon from Rt 3 with the cruise control set at 65 MPH. My average economy for the trip was 30.9 MPG compared to the 24 I get trying to do 75-80 MPH.

Coming home, I set the cruise control at 55 MPH and got an amazing 39.7 MPG.

And guess what? time for each trip was off by 2 minutes only, and the same as when I road rage.

Sure, there were a lot of folks passing me, but for every single finger I saw, I waved 4 back (for 40 MPG).

I'll be the 55 MPH driving driver from now on.

Support slugging - tip your driver today!

Replies:
Posted By: AZ Man
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 11:10am
Great! Now you won't have to charge your SLUGS anymore :)

Posted By: msticaries
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 7:25pm
that's nice, just stay out of the FAST lane mmmkay??

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 11:24pm
Nope, the tip jar is staying out!

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: HybridDriver
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2005 at 8:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by msticaries
[br]that's nice, just stay out of the FAST lane mmmkay??

If I high-beam you, please pull over to th shoulder. The phasers do not have a "stun" setting. Wouldn't want you to get hurt!

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:21am
A good point is brought up here....folks are complaining about the high price of gas, but unwilling to change their driving habits. I can only imagine those who "protestest" the most are the ones who are riding bumpers and blasting through the speed limit with only a cursory glance (if that).

I too have modified my driving habits (was already in the process due to a couple speeding tickets in 2003 and a drivers' safety course to reduce my points this year). I am close to the speed limit, rarely exceeding it lately. I've noticed the increase in mpg too. Slower accelerations and more planning before braking are paying off too.

Some folks view the "Speed Limit" signs as being the minimum speed limit. Might wanna go back and reread that in the drivers manual, it is a maximum. There was good reason for reducing the maximum speed limits in America to 55mph back in the 70s; it was because there wasn't going to be ANY gas if folks kept slurping it down like soda pop. This time around there probably won't be a shortage, but what there will be is an impact to the economy as demand does drive price at the pumps. But the impact won't be just at the pumps, it's going to be in the wallet too as the price of everything heads for the North 40. It's all related folks. The same ones who are riding bumpers and have an indentation in the floorboard under their accelerator are also the ones who will whine the most about the increased prices and inflationary times we'll be seeing.

Take it easy. Life is a journey. I find I'm more relaxed by not pushing so hard to get on down the road plus it's good on my mpg!

Another increase to my mileage was achieved by purchasing synthetic oil. I gained another 1.5-2 mpg by switching to synthetic. Can't explain it, it did happen for my vehicle. Was tough paying that extra amount for a quart of oil, but it is paying off at the pump and the oil doesn't need changed as often either.

Just a couple thoughts on a lovely post-three day weekend "Monday".

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:36am
NoSB,
How did you find your commute time impacted? I'm curious to see if others decide that there was no real difference in time between road raging and cruising.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:46am

The only real difference between the 2 methods is the frustration levels. These folks who rush from backup to backup (that's all that's really happening btw) don't notice the "slow poke" who arrives at the exit about the same time they do.

That's been my noticeable item. I've seen so many times when someone blasts past me only to be exiting at about the same time as me. I'm not disciplined enough to watch the clock that closely. I do know though that THROUGHPUT is what matters. If folks did abide by following distances, watched the road ahead (e.g. minimized braking), put their cell phones down, and drive at moderate/considerate speeds, then the flow would be much smoother without the perturbations (e.g. massive backups due to "accidents").

Just a thought.

NoSb

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 6:32pm
Another interesting test and comparison.
I did my quarterly maintenance to the wife's 5.9L Durango Monday, and installed some of those premium platinum sparkplugs and used synthetic motor oil.

Taking the car for an on and off highway roadtest, I got an average 19 MPG per the trip computer. Feeling happy with my $80 investment in the plugs and oil, I reset the computer when I got home.

My honey took the car to Walmart (20 mile round trip), and I checked the computer when she got home - a miserable 13 MPG or about what she gets without designer plugs and oil.

Driving style makes a huge difference.

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:11am
If you trust the trip computer on a Dodge Durango, you are foolish. The only advantage of platinum sparkplugs and synthetic motor oil is the length of time between changes. It will not affect your gas mileage (at least not enough to be noticed).
Perhaps you should invest in magnets for your fuel line or maybe the Tornado Air system.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:49am
To save the most gas, we should all get hybrids and start/stop the whole way in. I think if we kept the speed down around 10mph max, we could use almost no gas.

Posted By: PanaRican
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:53am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]To save the most gas, we should all get hybrids and start/stop the whole way in. I think if we kept the speed down around 10mph max, we could use almost no gas.

That's what i'm talking about! As soon as they make a hybrid Expedition, i'm gettin it! [:D]

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 11:43am
Lessee, Ford has made the Escape, Explorer, Expedition and Excursion.

I think their next one, had we not hit this "bump in the road" with prices at the pump, would've been called the Excessive.

I'm not anti-SUV as long as it's 4WD capable and used accordingly with a full load of folks onboard. Never did understand having them on the highway solely. A Lexus or Cadillac SUV makes NO sense to me, but then I'm fairly dense when it comes to such things.

I'm from Texas. Our idea of a cadillac was a 4WD Ford F-x50. That was sporty and utilitarian in its usage!

NoSb

Posted By: Dhacim
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Another interesting test and comparison.
I did my quarterly maintenance to the wife's 5.9L Durango Monday, and installed some of those premium platinum sparkplugs and used synthetic motor oil.

Taking the car for an on and off highway roadtest, I got an average 19 MPG per the trip computer. Feeling happy with my $80 investment in the plugs and oil, I reset the computer when I got home.

My honey took the car to Walmart (20 mile round trip), and I checked the computer when she got home - a miserable 13 MPG or about what she gets without designer plugs and oil.

Driving style makes a huge difference.

No wonder you have to charge people, your part of the problem with that 5.9l V8 Hemi Durango....

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:57pm
------------------------------------------------------
MSNBC Breaking News
------------------------------------------------------

Ford recalls 3.8 million pickup trucks and SUVs due to engine fire concerns -

That's all the email said folks.

NoSb

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:00pm
DHACIM,
I do not charge people, I accept tips.

Why do you and so many others try so hard to demonstrate your ignorance?

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:37pm
quote:
[br]DHACIM,
I do not charge people, I accept tips.

Why do you and so many others try so hard to demonstrate your ignorance?

Accepting tips for a service in which you are already getting paid for with your time, which hopefully is worth more than $3 to you.

Sorry, didn't mean to start an arguement over semantics.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]To save the most gas, we should all get hybrids and start/stop the whole way in. I think if we kept the speed down around 10mph max, we could use almost no gas.

To save the most gas, best not to travel at all! Of course, that's just as dumb. Or is it?
Thanks again, MDC, for admitting that hybrids are better than conventional cars.

Posted By: gmugrad
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:07pm
I have tried this too and Really I didn't notice any difference in gas consumption. I set the cruise at 60, 75 and 85 (when on travel)

My gas mileage remained 31 miles per gallon

Posted By: AveMaria
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:31pm
NoSB: Here's the recall notice from the Washington Post:

Ford Recalls 3.8 Million Pickups, SUVs

By Ken Thomas
Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2005; 1:03 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday recalled 3.8 million pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles for a cruise control switch suspected of causing engine fires. It is the fifth largest auto industry recall in U.S. history.

Ford said the recall of 1994-2002 model-year vehicles includes the company's hot-selling F-150 pickup truck, Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator and Ford Broncos. The company said it would start sending out recall notices to vehicle owners immediately.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the No. 2 U.S.-based automaker have been investigating complaints of engine fires linked to the switch.

NHTSA has received more than 550 complaints of engine fires from the cruise control switch. There have been allegations of three deaths in cases cited in news reports or lawsuits in Iowa, Georgia and Arkansas.

The affected vehicles include: 1994-2002 model F-150s, 1997-2002 Expeditions, 1998-2002 Navigators and 1994-1996 Broncos equipped with factory-installed speed control.

"We have a solution that fixes the problem and we're confident that this is going to be the right remedy," said Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley.

Ford said its inquiry found that brake fluid could leak through the cruise control's deactivation switch into the system's electrical components, leading to potential corrosion. The corrosion could lead to a buildup of electrical current which could cause overheating and a fire.

Dealers will install a fused wiring harness to act as a circuit breaker in the system. The company said the harness would cut off electrical current to the switch if the current increases.

The concerns over the engine fires led to a recall in January of nearly 800,000 vehicles from the 2000 model year.

The Ford F-series truck has been the best-selling full-size pickup for nearly three decades. In July, when the company offered its employee discount to all buyers, Ford's F-series set a record for the highest monthly sales of any vehicle since the 1920s with total sales of 126,905 trucks, or an average 4,880 each day for the 26 sales days that month.

Posted By: PanaRican
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Lessee, Ford has made the Escape, Explorer, Expedition and Excursion.

I think their next one, had we not hit this "bump in the road" with prices at the pump, would've been called the Excessive.

I'm not anti-SUV as long as it's 4WD capable and used accordingly with a full load of folks onboard. Never did understand having them on the highway solely. A Lexus or Cadillac SUV makes NO sense to me, but then I'm fairly dense when it comes to such things.

Well, it's this time of year that my baby gets used the most - for tailgating OF COURSE! GO SKINS! [;)]

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 4:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by PanaRican
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Lessee, Ford has made the Escape, Explorer, Expedition and Excursion.

Well, it's this time of year that my baby gets used the most - for tailgating OF COURSE! GO SKINS! [;)]

Hell yeah PanaRican, good to see the Skins still have a contingent in DC. I was beginning to think it was all Dallas and Philly fans round here.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 6:25pm
That's interesting, GMU. What do you drive?
My whole fleet does its best at 55 MPH(right down to my riding lawn mower), which is according to consumer reports the speed at which the EPA determines your "sticker" economy.

Since there are 80K miles on the Durango, I'm going to try the oxygen sensor next, followed by a set of Michelins rather than the obnoxious off-road tires the Durango comes with from the factory.

A 25 MPG 5.9L SUV would be cool.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 8:18pm
check out Consumer Reports for tire recommendations. There's plenty of less costly brands that beat Mich on price, handling, endurance, road noise, etc. I used their recommendation last time and bought a brand I'd only heard of very rarely. Pleased with them.

NoSb

Posted By: 6speedTL
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 12:37am
quote:
Originally posted by HybridDriver
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by msticaries
[br]that's nice, just stay out of the FAST lane mmmkay??

If I high-beam you, please pull over to th shoulder. The phasers do not have a "stun" setting. Wouldn't want you to get hurt!

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!

Hah, like you got a fast car. [:D]

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 9:26am
quote:
[br]That's interesting, GMU. What do you drive?
My whole fleet does its best at 55 MPH(right down to my riding lawn mower), which is according to consumer reports the speed at which the EPA determines your "sticker" economy.

Since there are 80K miles on the Durango, I'm going to try the oxygen sensor next, followed by a set of Michelins rather than the obnoxious off-road tires the Durango comes with from the factory.

A 25 MPG 5.9L SUV would be cool.

Holy Crap your tires have lasted 80K miles? That's insane.....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net