Print Page | Close Window

SCREW the main lanes

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2215
Printed Date: 26 May 2024 at 6:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: SCREW the main lanes
Posted By: miltrade
Subject: SCREW the main lanes
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 9:17am
Why is it that many assume that everyone cares about easing congestion in the main lanes. I say SCREW the drivers in the main lanes. If you are so selfish that you simply cannot live without the idea of driving by yourself all the way north in the morning, contributing pollution, congestion, and general stupidity to the practice of commuting, then you DESERVE to sit in the main lanes for 2 hours each way. They purport that they are concerned with "reducing congestion", yet for some reason it is unfathomable that anyone discuss the real problem, people who commute in their car by themselves. They refuse to acknowledge that the solution to all of our traffic problems is right before them, STOP DRIVING BY YOURSELF. RIDE THE BUS, TAKE THE TRAIN, SLUG, CARPOOL.

I say that they should completely ban all vehicles with less than 3 from the HOV, then go even farther to get main-lane drivers from CAUSING all of our traffic problems anyways by clogging up our highway system with their single-driver autos by having alternate drive days like they do in some cities in other countries I have been to, where if your plate ends in a certain digit, you cannot drive on one day of the week.

Why are people so concerned with ensuring that everyone's right to selfishly consume an ever-increasing amount of gas and pollute is protected? Your "solution" is to "get even" with those that commute smarter than you do by "equaling" out the flow, to make ALL lanes slow?

Replies:
Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 9:35am
Miltrade, sounds like you had a rough night. One question if I may, what other two people (outside of your family), helped you pay for your vehicle(s) you drive in the HOV lane with[?]

Posted By: rale
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 9:58am
I agree 100% with Miltrade. While I realize that some folks have no choice but to drive alone (work in areas away from DC and other "popular" areas), Miltrade makes excellent points. We, as a population are self-involved and can't see that we need to change our way of thinking to make the traffic situation better.

Posted By: Kelsey
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 10:07am
I also agree with miltrade. Also, extra lanes are not going to majically appear and if someone is waiting for the state government...well...you can see that they are NEVER on top of the road planning for an area that has grown steadily for decades.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 10:10am
VASlugger, I don't understand the point of your question. If you are implying that many people want to drive by themselves because THEY alone paid for their vehicle, it only reinforces my argument. It is the typical attitude of most people that they should only think of themselves because of (insert reason here). The bottom line is, the DC area would have NO TRAFFIC if 95% of people who live here didn't insist on driving by themselves for whatever selfish reason they consider valid. Yes, some people are obviously an exception. They live in an obscure location, they work somewhere they can't carpool to, etc. But it is way too common that we as Americans provide the exception as evidence that negates the rule.

Posted By: ATH
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 10:26am
Yes, yes, yes to not coddling the single drivers. I'm not sure how I feel about alternate drive days, but I do agree that our way of thinking needs to change and I agree that there should be no exceptions to having 3 in a car to drive on the HOV. Lawmakers DO NOT encourage single drivers to car pool. It is totally amazing.

State decision makers have consistently made decisions that do not encourage car pooling, but instead coddle the single drivers. For eg., not extending the HOV hours in the evening to 6:30pm or 7pm. These hours are the same as when the HOV lanes were much shorter. How many people do you see sitting in their cars at 5:45pm just waiting for 6pm to get onto the HOV? Also allowing single drivers onto the HOV lanes at Edsall Rd in the evening. This was going on even before the Springfield Interchange went under construction. Every night, the HOV lane gets backed up in this area because of all the single drivers allowed to get onto that portion of the HOV.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 12:53pm
Miltrade what I'm saying is regardless of what goes on in the "main lanes", if they aren't breaking any laws, so be it. I agree the HOV lanes are totally for HOV'ers, single and double riders beware! But don't berate those who choose to drive alone outside of the the HOV lane. If we all thought about saving the environment, whom would we have to save it from? Bottom line is this - the choice to ride alone is just that...a choice.

If I missed something in your initial post, please help me understand where you're headed.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 1:30pm
miltrade - the attitude of "screw the drivers in the main lane" is exactly the reason we are looking at toll roads in this region. It's their way of saying screw you back.

Posted By: Tupe
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 1:41pm
WHAT????

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]miltrade - the attitude of "screw the drivers in the main lane" is exactly the reason we are looking at toll roads in this region. It's their way of saying screw you back.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:37pm
VA Slugger, my post was in response to all the people (NoSUV) that are complaining about how the "HOV lane flows 25 to 35 mph faster than the main lanes", so tolls, exemptions, or some other actions should be taken to "equal the flow" between the two. What I'm saying is, SCREW the main lanes. There should be NO actions taken or special exemptions given to "free up" the flow in the main lanes. The only actions that ever seem to be recommended are those that allow the individual driver to continue their idiotic daily commuting practice without infringing upon their "choice". What about the most common sense choice of all? Reduce the congestion by getting their lazy, self-centered asses out from behind their steering wheel or add a few passengers to their ride? This is a ZERO-COST, ZERO-CONSTRUCTION, ZERO-LEGISLATION solution that could completely, I mean completely eliminate ALL traffic in our area. It's like this subject can't even be broached for fear of impinging on some god-given right to be a jackass roadhog.

NoSUV, you only prove my point. I have read your other posts and know that you are a pro-toll person. Instead of considering the idea of not driving alone, you offer only one solution, slow down the lanes that are going faster than you so that you have some sort of feeling of self-satisfaction. "If I have to wait in traffic, then so should they."

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:41pm
The real solution is to make the regular lanes toll lanes and leave the HOVs alone and free. Congestion pricing is the only real way to make people understand the cost of driving alone. Maybe some day when we have 24 hour traffic jams the politicians grow some spines and look for real solutions. They need to stop it with the proposals that are doomed from the beginning and only useful for making it appear that they are doing something.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:42pm
And, I might add, Hybrid drivers are the most confused of the whole lot. They are simply the same as the main-lane "I insist on driving by myself" group that have found a wonderful loophole in the exemption that allows them to CONTINUE TO ADD TO THE NUMBER OF CARS TAKING UP SPACE ON THE ROAD while doing nothing to reduce congestion. Many of them support tolls now out of spite for getting booted out of the HOV in 2006. The main problem in the DC area is congestion, the Hybrid drivers are confused and think that the main problem is pollution!

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:54pm
I like Wagonman's idea. Reduce congestion by tolling the regular lanes, and leaving real HOV free.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:55pm
miltrade - let's continue your thought stream to its logical conclusion. BAN ALL CARS from the express (HOV) lanes. Everything you say about drivers in main lanes applies EVEN BETTER when you take that stance.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:01pm
NoSUV, maybe in YOUR mind that is the logical conclusion to where my logic is leading. But that's your opinion. My conclusion is right where I left it, NOBODY that has less than three allowed in, and the single-drivers change their attitude. You and your hybrid can go out into the "lord of the flies" main lanes or else start doing something to reduce the CONGESTION, not the pollution! In case anyone needs to be reminded again, the HOV lanes were intended to solve this area's biggest issue, CONGESTION. They weren't designed so that single drivers could just switch what type of vehicle they drive and then clog up the lanes like they do out in the main lanes.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by miltrade
[br]NoSUV, maybe in YOUR mind that is the logical conclusion to where my logic is leading. But that's your opinion. My conclusion is right where I left it, NOBODY that has less than three allowed in, and the single-drivers change their attitude. You and your hybrid can go out into the "lord of the flies" main lanes or else start doing something to reduce the CONGESTION, not the pollution! In case anyone needs to be reminded again, the HOV lanes were intended to solve this area's biggest issue, CONGESTION. They weren't designed so that single drivers could just switch what type of vehicle they drive and then clog up the lanes like they do out in the main lanes.

miltrade - since you can't seem to get your mind to work, perhaps this can help. Are you saying that if the express lanes reverted to their original pre-1974 condition of buses only that the express lanes would be clogged? Wouldn't buses only in those lanes increase ridership in HOV-40 = and, using your arguements, isn't HOV-40 bettern than HOV-3 for "pollution, congestion, and general stupidity to the practice of commuting?" Can't you see that "the solution to all of our traffic problems is right before [you], STOP DRIVING...RIDE THE BUS, TAKE THE TRAIN..."

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:22pm
NoSUV, if you want to get personal, we can, I fully welcome it. You remind me of those people during the election that when confronted with an argument too difficult for them simply blurted out "LIAR".

I assure you I can get my mind to work, and more importantly, better than yours. First of all, your post is fragmented, poorly written, and presents unsupported logic that you are assigning to me, although you are the one that created it. I'm not slow enough that you can resort to creating arguments that I have not presented, such as your "buses only" stream of logic. ONCE AGAIN, HOV should be for three or more ONLY. You can fit three in a car right? A car is not a bus right? Are you able to follow?

I said nothing about pre-1974 conditions of the HOV, so that is just bizarre that you assume I did. I said nothing about "buses only", so once again, you are bizarre.

Also, what does "ridership in HOV-40 = and," mean?? It is poorly written and makes no sense in the English language. Is that supposed to be some sort of crafty retort that is proving your point? I'm sure if you asked 99% of the people on there they would just say "huh?"

Let me reiterate, my point is that the HOV should be for 3 or more in a VEHICLE only and the real solution is the one that selfish people like you can't fathom, stop being an idiot and driving by yourself.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:25pm
yawn. you bore me. get on the bus.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:26pm
Oh, and NoSUV, I can understand your anger. I mean, I would be angry too if I dropped 30K on a compact hybrid car so that I could continue to drive by myself (if that was my character, which it isn't) and then realized that I completely wasted my money because I am going to be either right back out with the wolves in the main lanes or else I would have to pick up slugs anyways. It must hurt to think about what you could have done with that 30k instead of dropping it on something that was driven by such selfish reasoning in the first place. Of course, I held onto my money. Too bad for you.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:37pm
Why are you all still arguing with NoSUV? He is entitled to his opinion, and his grammer is not bad. But he hasn't changed his mind one bit since the day he shoved his pointed beak in here.

Come to the meeting tomorrow, NoSUV. Love like all git out to see you there in person. [:)]

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 4:37pm
miltrade - I bought my hybrid back when I lived in another state, before I'd even applied for a job out here. I got it not for the HOV exemption, but because the car was better than the one you drive. Some would even say that makes me better than you. Actually, you, too, could do the right thing and buy a hybrid. Are you up to the challenge?

Please tell me you aren't one of those bottom feeders 122 talks about on another thread.

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 4:39pm
miltrade, I hope you bring your enthusiasm tomorrow night!

I'll be there tomorrow night... who else is attending [?]

Goober

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 7:42am
NoSUV, once again, you seem to meander about with little meaning and/or comprehension.

1. So, "some people" say that if you drive a "better car" than me, then you are "better than me"? Who are these "people"? Celebrities? Teen-agers? Rappers? Because no sensible, adult, logical person that I know of has ever said that if you drive a better car than somebody else, then YOU are actually better than that person.

2. I would be "doing the right thing" by buying a hybrid? And what makes it right? Because it's "good for the environment"? Because, as stated numerous times earlier, the problem in the DC area is not pollution, it is CONGESTION. How is buying a hybrid, then driving by myself and adding yet another vehicle to the congestion "doing the right thing"?

I have a suggestion: get in your hybrid and move back to wherever you came from. We don't need another out of state car clogging up our Virginia roads. Go protect the environment and add to the traffic in your own town.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 7:48am
miltrade, are you saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to buy a hybrid and carpool (or pick up slugs)? How come? Can't you help the environment AND reduce congestion? Or are you strictly a bottom feeder?

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 7:55am
You are a hypocrite. I have read your other posts. You claimed yourself that you "now support HOT" because they are ending the Hybrid exemption. If you were picking up slugs, then why would you give a rat's ass about the end of the exemption? I'll tell you why you are so pissed about it, because you DO NOT pick up slugs. You're mad that they are ending your little loophole, yet you still refuse to consider picking up slugs, so you have gone so far as to now support the effective end of the HOV system rather than relent and give up your solo commute. So don't come in here trying to preach to me. If you're going to try, at least realize that all I have to do is read a few of your posts to figure you out. You're simply not smart enough to get away with it.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 7:57am
quote:
[br]You are a hypocrite. I have read your other posts. You claimed yourself that you "now support HOT" because they are ending the Hybrid exemption. If you were picking up slugs, then why would you give a rat's ass about the end of the exemption? I'll tell you why you are so pissed about it, because you DO NOT pick up slugs. You're mad that they are ending your little loophole, yet you still refuse to consider picking up slugs, so you have gone so far as to now support the effective end of the HOV system rather than relent and give up your solo commute. So don't come in here trying to preach to me. If you're going to try, at least realize that all I have to do is read a few of your posts to figure you out. You're simply not smart enough to get away with it.

miltrade, are you saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to buy a hybrid and carpool (or pick up slugs)? How come? Can't you help the environment AND reduce congestion? Or are you strictly a bottom feeder?

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 7:58am
Is that all you have? A re-post? Have fun in the main lanes this year with your two hour solo commute.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 1:16pm
miltrade. You said it very well. I wish I were as articulate as you are.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 1:26pm
quote:
[br]Is that all you have? A re-post? Have fun in the main lanes this year with your two hour solo commute.

This is fun - can you answer the question? Or should we infer that you have...

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 1:38pm
URGENT: remember to attend the

Advisory Panel Meeting Agenda
Wed., September 21, 2005 -- TONIGHT
6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Prince William County
Ferlazzo Auditorium
Prince William County
15941 Donald Curtis Drive
Woodbridge, Virginia 22192

Goober

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 2:49pm
NoSUV, I think it is pretty apparent that you have run out of juice. I don't have to buy a hybrid, because like I have said several times, the problem in this area is CONGESTION, not pollution. More importantly, you yourself are an admitted hybrid driver yet YOU DRIVE BY YOURSELF. So all you have done is move to our area from out of state, then add yet another car to our traffic problem. Worst of all, you added that vehicle to our HOV lanes, thereby negating their very purpose. Let me give you a lesson on this area, since you are not from here, WE ARE BATTLING TRAFFIC, NOT POLLUTION. It may be easier for you to read and comprehend this if you were to pull your head out of your A$$.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 3:04pm
Bring it, Miltrade!

Lordie, how I hope tonight's meeting is as exciting as what we hear on slug-lines.

Of course, the Charge of the Light Brigade was pretty exciting, too. More so for the Russians than the Brits, one would have to think.

Posted By: bunker1
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 3:45pm
So far I give the match to NoSUV. He is articulate, his arguements are well-founded, and he is not emotional about the issue.
Miltrade, if the REAL ISSUE is CONGESTION, then why stop at HOV-3, wouldn't HOV-40 (as in a bus) be better? And let's not forget, as soon as you drop off your slugs, you become one of those "selfish" drivers that is clogging all of the non-interstate roads with your polluting 1 person vehicle!

Posted By: SuzAnne
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 4:02pm
The obvious is seen through observations. Hybrid drivers rarely pick up slugs. Those who do are the exception.

Toll paying drivers, as hybrid driver have, will discover that with no requirement to share the ride, they won't.

Slugging will dry up, but more importantly, 3 lanes of HOT will pass FEWER commuters than 2 lanes of the current hov-3. The remaining commuters are left in the regular lanes, parked and polluting.

Great deal -- the masses paying for the priviledged few. Those who think HOT is a hot idea are short sighted and probably driving a large SUV to compensate for other shortcomings.

Posted By: MSCUSN
I am not taking sides and can see the frustration of Miltrade’s argument. But I have to disagree with the point that people who buy cars should be told that they can not use them on a specific day, or worse yet that they have to car pool. Following that logic, everyone who lives closer to the city should be forced to share their home with someone in order to cut down on the commute distance, protect the environment, and, decrease the crowded streets.

Bottom line is this, if I pay my money for a vehicle, I should be allowed to use it within the limits of the law, when and where I want (after all this is the US). If it becomes to congested for me, then I too can use alternate sources (i.e. carpool, public trans, etc.) or choose to live with the consequences and stay in traffic. I feel when gas prices get to $6.00/gal or higher, most of our problems will be solved, it will force this fossil fuel economy to develop other energy sources quickly, and hell riders might even start tipping by then .

Bunker1 (aka NoSUV). Nice try. You can't even mask your weak writing style.

Posted By: ATH
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 11:48am
Oh brother. Are you kidding?

quote:
Originally posted by bunker1
[br]So far I give the match to NoSUV. He is articulate, his arguements are well-founded, and he is not emotional about the issue.
Miltrade, if the REAL ISSUE is CONGESTION, then why stop at HOV-3, wouldn't HOV-40 (as in a bus) be better? And let's not forget, as soon as you drop off your slugs, you become one of those "selfish" drivers that is clogging all of the non-interstate roads with your polluting 1 person vehicle!

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 2:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by ATH
[br]Oh brother. Are you kidding?

quote:
[br]So far I give the match to NoSUV. He is articulate, his arguements are well-founded, and he is not emotional about the issue.

Why? Because miltrade limits the arguement to what benefits him? Why stop at HOV-3? Why not HOV-4? or 40? Or push to have a law that requires companies/government to have a percentage of workers tele-connecting each day. Why is HOV-3 the ONLY solution ..... yep, it benefits miltrade. And, sorry No NoSUV here!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 7:24am
Let's see - miltrade says that pollution is not important and seems to have no concerns about the ability of hybrids to use less gas. Sure you're not from Texas? Also, the purpose of the reversible lanes was NOT HOV, but to be used as bus express lanes. HOV-3 is actually an exemption from the original intent - although it was unchanged for around a quarter of a century.

Best for the nation is to change those express lanes back to what they were built for - buses. And since we need to encourage more hybrid ownership, let hybrids in the express lanes as well. The arguments put forth by miltrade are met in the express lanes - and miltrade can finally really do the right thing.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 8:06am
I'm from Texas...

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 9:10am
Who told you HOV-3 is an exemption?? And you want to talk about pollution?? We have a whole different type of pollution in this region. It is people. People own cars. HOV rewards people who travel together at certain times of the day with express lanes. What is wrong with that idea? You should not be able to "cheat" the system with a hybrid or be allowed to "buy" your way through with HOT lanes. I have nothing against hybrids. I just think prudish hybrid owners need to come off their high horse and join the fight against the real pollution in this area. Next year there will be no Exemptions for HOV which I hope will make enforcement that much easier. So we'll see you all in the lines...be it driver...or slug.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 9:24am
Well said bnvus!!!

:'}

Posted By: hotscr17
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 9:44am
quote:
Originally posted by bnvus
[br] You should not be able to "cheat" the system with a hybrid or be allowed to "buy" your way through with HOT lanes. I have nothing against hybrids. I just think prudish hybrid owners need to come off their high horse and join the fight against the real pollution in this area. Next year there will be no Exemptions for HOV which I hope will make enforcement that much easier. So we'll see you all in the lines...be it driver...or slug.

I agree. 90% of people today who own hybrids never bought it to save gas nor to stop pollution. As a matter of fact i saw a lady driving a hybrid smoking and then throwing her cig butt out the window. yeah that's helping the pollution effort..

the main reason people buy hybrids in this area is to be able to get in the HOV lanes without having to pick others up, hence saving time on thier own commute.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 10:22am
hotscr17,
What was she thinking?! Surely she must know that driving with the windows open, even cracked, noticably reduces your MPG. I saw one doing the same yesterday, but in a Ford Escape hypebred, probably reducing her MPG to well under 25MPG.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 10:32am
NoSUV, in this instance, I will ignore the fact that your post makes no sense (ie "The arguments put forth by miltrade are met in the express lanes"). What the hell does that mean?? Are you sure you're even American? Also, how will what we do with our HOV lanes be "best for the nation"? What does the nation care about our HOV lanes?

NoSUV claims that I don't care about pollution (even though the issue in this area is CONGESTION not pollution) because I don't buy a Hybrid (while he/she has revealed that they STILL drive by themselves). Well, NEWSFLASH FOR NOSUV (aka Bunker1): I cause LESS pollution in my regular sedan than you do in your hybrid by yourself. I pick up two, sometimes three slugs. Therefore, I am eliminating two or three additional vehicles from the road. You pick nobody up but continue to drive yourself, so that you can maintain your own personal comfort level and convenience. Who knows why? Maybe you like to break-wind all day in your car.

Bottom line: I eliminate three, polluting vehicles from the road. You ADD ONE and do NOTHING to get any cars off the road.

You might as well stop now, because no matter what you say, I will demonstrate to you and to everyone on this board why it is wrong. Of course, you could just change ID's again to lend supporters to your arguments, since nobody else is behind you.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 11:13am
miltrade -how much congestion will be reduced if you and those slugs you were going to pick up were on the bus instead? Won't the environment be better if you were in a hybrid and picking up slugs? What are you PERSONALLY doing about buying a hybrid? Not buying one? You're attidude is a far bigger problem.

Take the bus. Buy a hybrid. Yes, miltrade, you can be better than you are.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 11:17am
miltrade - do you only use your sedan for commuting? What % of your driving is not with 2 others during a commute?

Buy the hybrid - you know you want to.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 11:21am
Yes, I only use my car for commuting.

Better question, since you OWN a hybrid, why aren't YOU picking up slugs, since it is established that you don't. Which begs the question, why are you on this message board?

No, I am not as concerned about pollution as I am about congestion. You are confused. We are all trying to reduce traffic, you don't even understand that. You ADD to the traffic with your additional vehicle.

Oh, yeah, and you're an idiot too.

But, nonetheless, since you insist on your solo drive commute, you will be in the main lanes shortly. Have fun out there. I'll continue reducing the number of cars on the road.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 11:30am
miltrade - you KNOW the hybrid exemption for the express lanes is going to be exended along with motorcycles. Every candidate for office who has responded to my emails has said so, including both major governor candidates, lt gov, and delegates.

Go buy a hybrid. Be the better person you know you want to be.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 11:34am
Glad to see the light has popped on for you miltrade. NoSUV and I have been debating this for sometime and I have reached the same conclusion. NoSUV represents a cadre of hybrid owners who have bought into the scam that hybrids are the best solution to the congestion/polution/fossil fuel consumption problems facing our society. We can only hope that true rational logic will somhow invade the minds of those poor misguided hybrid owners like NoSUV and they will realize that they have been lied to by the auto companies (who, by the way, are responsible for the HOV exemption, suprise!).

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 11:48am
Hybrid exemption ends in 2006. It has already been established that the state (VA) has asked the Fed to lift the exemption. Nice try.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 1:21pm
NoSUV? Many people asking you questions here. All interested to hear your undoubtedly witty reply. Please share.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 1:31pm
quote:
[br]NoSUV? Many people asking you questions here. All interested to hear your undoubtedly witty reply. Please share.

Ask RLD.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 1:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by bnvus
[br]Hybrid exemption ends in 2006. It has already been established that the state (VA) has asked the Fed to lift the exemption. Nice try.

State authority was in the 2005 Transportation bill.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:38pm
State Authority is still under considerstion and not law. Even so. The (VDOT) recommendation is still to end the hybrid exemption. Too many Manuf. are jumping on the Hybrid bandwagon as fuel prices spiral upwards. Ford just recently announced that 50% of their automotive production will transition over to Hybrid technology by 2010. 50 PERCENT! This is in response to the government proposing stricter emission laws and higher MPG #'s in an effort to help conserve fuel. GREAT NEWS for them. Bad news for us.

THE HYBRID EXEMPTION MUST GO!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:53pm
And why is that? The express lanes still move at or above the speed limit and 25 - 35 mph faster than the regular lanes. Just look to your right! VDOT also said that much of the congestion was caused by cheaters. Shouldn't that be the first to go? Why increase the regular lane congestion when the express lanes aren't overcrowded?

If nothing else, we need to find ways to get MORE of the regular lane traffic into the express lanes. That's why the majority of the public wants HOT - so the OVERALL traffic will flow better.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:54pm
I just noticed (again) that the HOV speed limit is 65 and the mainline is 55. Maybe if they raised the mainline to 65, it would move better!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:55pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]NoSUV? Many people asking you questions here. All interested to hear your undoubtedly witty reply. Please share.

Ask RLD.

On the RLD question, I've received responses from Kilgore, Kaine, and Bryne. All 3 support the hybrid exemption. I've also asked both major candidates in my district - they've not responded.

Posted By: DanMadeup
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:00pm
I think I go with Bob on this. Share the e-mail or let us know that its been a good tale.

The real killer is "both candidates." As if you could not say Barge-Frederick or Porta-Queeg.

Again, I go with Bob. Another friend of friend tale being sung.

Posted By: defender
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:01pm
Ditto Dan. I go with Bob.

Posted By: SuzAnne
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:02pm
Same here. I won't have to tip him too, will I?

Posted By: 234slug
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:03pm
Bob's take on 234 has always been upfront and accurate. I go with Lang.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:03pm
Aren't crowded huh?? Keep saying that on your way home tonight...

Posted By: DaVetsAtHome
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:04pm
Lang: Got your e-mail. Your right. So I log in. Now we are even.

Posted By: undisclosed-email
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 3:07pm
Can anyone play? OK. I say - - - Lang is right.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 7:39am
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Ask RLD.

On the RLD question, I've received responses from Kilgore, Kaine, and Bryne. All 3 support the hybrid exemption. I've also asked both major candidates in my district - they've not responded.

Received a response from 1 of the major candidates for delegate in my district, he, too, supports extending the hybrid exemption. So far, 4/5 I've asked have responded, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM supports extending the hybrid exemption. Emails were forwarded to RLD.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 7:49am
You know politicians will tell you what you want to hear, don't you? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM work this way.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 8:54am
I'm with you NoSUV. But be careful ..... you don't want to get them too restless or they will scurry around to write all the candidates about not extending the exemption! Just be careful ...

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 9:25am
quote:
[br]I'm with you NoSUV. But be careful ..... you don't want to get them too restless or they will scurry around to write all the candidates about not extending the exemption! Just be careful ...

Bunker1, I understand where you are coming from. I guess that I suffer from overconfidence in that exending the exemption just makes so much sense, it would be hard for a serious candidate to say otherwise. The legislature has a duty to work on transportation solutions, and not just for the express lanes. miltrade just doesn't get that - fortunately, the candidates do. That's one of the major factors in the HOT push; the current system doesn't work for the majority of commuters, and ending the exemption only makes the mess worse. If the legislature does as miltrade advocates and says to screw the main lanes, they are not only abdicating their responsibility, but they would likely be subject to a recall vote.

Posted By: letsgosluggin
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 10:13am
Miltrade.. people read what they want to.. you point of view couldn't be any more correct. NoSUV, is an idiot, so he could obviously never understand pure common sense.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net