Print Page | Close Window

I-95S shut down

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2453
Printed Date: 04 Jun 2024 at 6:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I-95S shut down
Posted By: fryed_1
Subject: I-95S shut down
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 12:57pm
Accident involving a tractor-trailer: ALL LANES BLOCKED-- 3 TRACTOR TRAILERS INVOLVED-1 CAUGHT FIRE AND THERE IS FUEL SPILLED--TRAFFIC BETWEEN NEWINGTON AND WOODBRIDGE IS BEING DIRECTED INTO THE HOVS--THE HOV LANES ARE OPEN IN SPRINGFIELD-THE INNER LOOP SLOWS AT VAN DORN

Replies:
Posted By: frankiestein
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 1:03pm
Is this the same accident that was after 12 noon?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 1:09pm
probably.

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 1:32pm
Those types of wrecks are supposed to happen on Fridays

Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, no matter who wins, you're still retarded

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 1:43pm
Who the hell's fighting?

Anyway- I would rather it not happen on a Friday. I'd never get home. All those lunatic drivers in OUR slug lanes???
Yikes! I'd get home like around 12 midnight all pissed off.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 1:46pm
And what's the deal with those sky-divers? Do they really need the helmet? Do they think it is going to make that much of a difference when they are falling from 5,000 feet off the ground?

Posted By: dkofva
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:00pm
I think that you should watch how you refer to people with physical and or mental disabilities. This is a discussion board and I feel that the off-handed comments have gotten out of control and are bordering on being offensive. A

nd as far as accidents go, I don't think any day is good day especially if you or a family member is involved.

quote:
Originally posted by mikester
[br]Those types of wrecks are supposed to happen on Fridays

Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, no matter who wins, you're still retarded

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:16pm
Traffic cameras are looking OK. Hopefully it'll be an average commute home. Bordering on offensive? I think that barrier has already been shattered

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:19pm
...back on subject. I don't see anything on Trafficland. Maybe VDOT got it cleaned up??

Posted By: Freud
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:19pm
I also checked WTOP and the Washington Post and saw nothing about it, which I thought was odd. Traffic cams looked clear to me too although, it looks liked the sun was shining right into it so it was hard to see.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this clears up and everyone involved in the accident is okay.

Posted By: dkofva
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:24pm
WTOP is reporting that the accident is cleared but there is heavy traffic in the main and express lanes.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:40pm
2:33 PM 12/21/05 Conditions

I-95 Southbound at US 1/Woodbridge

Accident cleared: ALL LANES OPEN. JAMMED LEAVING THE BELTWAY. INNER LOOP IS SLOW BEFORE VAN DORN ST TO I-95.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:49pm
So does that mean that the HOV remains open to everyone now for the rest of the day? Or are they restricting it at 3:30?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:55pm
I doubt they lift the restrictions today. It looks like it's been cleared for more than an hour now.

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 2:58pm
Does anyone know what website we can check to see if HOV is still open to all traffic?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:01pm
VDOT's website isn't very helpful

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:15pm
what is VDOT's website?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:18pm
l

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by fryed_1
[br]I doubt they lift the restrictions today. It looks like it's been cleared for more than an hour now.

True. I forget the restrictions are lifted in the afternoons anyhow so there would be no need to keep it open to everyone.

Ever notice that everyone piles into the HOV lanes just because they can even though the regular lanes happen to be moving faster? Doesn't make much sense, does it? LOL

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:25pm
Yall do know about the WTOP camera site. It is great. Gives you all you need to know on the HOV.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=604381&nid=370

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:34pm
Thanks for the info Bob.

Goober

Posted By: annsyp
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:46pm
Freud-

I have noticed this same phenomenon. Since I don't get off work until 6 pm, I travel home slugless. Every single day at the HOV entrance (the one after the Springfield interchange), traffic backs up for over a mile, as every tries to get on the HOV, but once you are past that, the regular lanes are wide open and generally move faster then the HOV lanes (keep in mind, this is usually around 6:30 or 7).

My theory is that while traffic is fine up to 123 or so (where I happen to exit), it gets much worse after that, so the HOV ends up being faster for the whole trip, but if you aren't going very far down in the HOV lanes, it isn't worth the long wait to get on them in the first place.

Posted By: TROLL
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:54pm
What ever happened to the proposed plan of speed bumps on I-95?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:07pm
Didn't someone mention that the speed bumps already existed on I-95? [:D]

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:09pm
Yeah, but we are going to need the state to add a few more.

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:13pm
Very simple. HOV lanes are magic.

Posted By: TROLL
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:31pm
Did you know they have retractable speed bumps on the freeway now?
They are for ambulances and fire trucks.
Retracting Speed Bumps
Ever been in an ambulance and in a hurry?

Basically, the speed bump is constructed from low arch-shaped beams or something (some material that can support a tremendous amount of weight, obviously) and hooked up to a special mechanism activated by radio device/frequency. The bump would have the ability to retract into near flat-road status if the proper radio signal (or other appropriate signal technology) alerted it to do so. Designated vehicles -- ambulances, fire trucks, etc. -- would have the activating transmitter on their front bumper, and from a distance of about 100 meters or so, the bump would retract. This range of the transmitter could be adjusted, but one would have to give it plenty of time.

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Retracting_20Speed_20Bumps

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net