Print Page | Close Window

Slug mentality

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2502
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 1:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Slug mentality
Posted By: 122582
Subject: Slug mentality
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 8:53am
I was explaining slugging to a colleague, when another colleague asked me if I ever pick up 3. I said no, and he said that was really mean.

Now colleague #2 was a full time slug, but recently bought a Hybrid. I asked colleague #2 if he picked up slugs in his shiny hybrid, and he stated no, he bought the car so he didn't have to deal with slugs.

Interesting that a slug wants a driver to take 3, but give him a hybrid, and he suddenly doesn't want to deal with slugs anymore.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Replies:
Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 12:54pm
Which one was colleague #2?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2006 at 1:37pm
Typical Hybrid owner mentality disease.

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2006 at 10:44am
Sounds like pretty old news to me. How is this constructive?

Posted By: TROLL
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2006 at 5:01pm
Sounds like someone watched too much tv as a young pod.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2006 at 12:02pm
Every individual is shelfish in one way or another throughout their lives...that's the way it is. You cant honestly say if you got a hybrid you would always pick up slugs..come on. I would, but definately not all the time.

:'}

Posted By: PanaRican
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2006 at 12:04pm
I thought colleague #1 was the one who called you mean for not taking a third rider and colleague #2 got the hybrid so he wouldn't have to deal with slugs. So I don't understand this statement:

quote:
Originally posted by 122582
Interesting that a slug wants a driver to take 3, but give him a hybrid, and he suddenly doesn't want to deal with slugs anymore.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2006 at 12:54pm
Colleague #1 was just curious. Colleague #2 was the former full time slug turned hybrid driver, who thought I was mean for not taking 3, but didn't want to deal with slugs now that he had "moved on up".

Posted By: Beckie5
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:53pm
The Hybrid owners do not buy the cars to be environmentally friendly but to drive alone in the HOV lane. However, they receive tax breaks because the car is environmentally friendly -so why not help the environment and pick up riders? I think it's pretty stupid to pay $20K plus to ride in the HOV lane! After all it's FREE to slug!

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 9:11am
Yeah, I saw a new Hybrid Camry commercial yesterday. If only we can enforce the law that hybrids aren't allowed to drive on the HOV. Maybe we could hide the last one again.

Posted By: Freud
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 4:01pm
Actually, I am one Hybrid driver that bought the car to be environmentally conscious. I actually enjoy the Toyota Prius that I have and its my sole means of transportation. It's not just my expensive commuter car. But, I don't drive by myself. I am in a carpool with 3 other people who are wonderful. And, I like having the option of going alone or with just two of us if someone is absent that day. However, I can understand why drivers get fed up with dealing with slugs. Bad experiences, having to wait forever and a day for someone going your way.....you get tired of it, you know? It's easy to be "selfish" for those reasons. I am sure that none of the slugs will understand - I am a selfish Hybrid driver (to them) and nothing is going to change that, but what can you do?

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:40pm
If I had a Prius and a place to park I might do the same thing. I've had my fair share of waiting a day and a half for drivers myself, and not in the luxury of a climate controlled automobile, so its not like the drivers are the only ones. No real bad experiences though, but enough not good experiences to make it tiring too.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:50pm
Commuting the times/distances we are is just plain tiring. Having someone else drive makes it a bit more relaxing...I drove for the past 3.5 years and just returned to slugging last month.

More naps now....

NoSb

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Commuting the times/distances we are is just plain tiring. Having someone else drive makes it a bit more relaxing...I drove for the past 3.5 years and just returned to slugging last month.

More naps now....

NoSb

Do you walk to/from the commuter lot? Run all of your errands with others in the neighborhood? When you are not leeching off of others, how are you making the environment better?
Buy the hybrid - quit waiting to be better.

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:46pm
WOW NoSUV, Do you run/walk to the lot? or do those other things? Or do you only own a Hybrid and think your the president of Greenpeace now? That's just what I wanna do at 5 AM, walk an hour to the commuter lot in 20 degree weather to wait 45 minutes to get a ride. Running errands with others in neighborhood...sounds nice. Anyone do that?

Posted By: Jerry Seinfeld
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 9:00am
What's the deal with these new hybrid SUV's?

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 9:47am
Probably time for the moderator to remove all the unofficial advertising and promotion to buy a hybrid. Some folks may have the $$ to throw away a car every 3-5 years. I don't. Even if I did, I doubt I'd get rid of my car then. Do you realize hybrids will wear out quicker than other cars....how's that for environmentally friendly?

More nimh batteries plus all the fluids ending up in the junkyards as they build cars that wear out faster....nice look at the end-to-end lifecycle of a product.

NoSb

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 11:03am
How will they wear out quicker? Just asking, not trying to be stupid.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 12:43pm
From an article about hybrids in Australia:

Toyota's manager of alternative fuels and specialized vehicles, Vic Johnstone, concedes the batteries, like the car itself, are built to last less than a decade. "The life of the car and the battery are supposed to be the same... around 8 to 10 years," he said. "We're not expecting to replace them [the batteries]. In fact we only hold one [replacement] battery in stock nationally."

NoSb

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 2:30pm
Soon we will start seeing all those first hybrids come in for battery replacement/repairs, and we will start hearing horror stories about thousand dollar repairs and land-fill destined batteries from those early adopters who thought they were doing something green but realized too late that they were being snowed. The truth will set them free! Soilent Green is people! Hybrids are a farse!

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 3:31pm
That's dumn! Why build a supposedly enviroment safe car and battery that only last 10 years? Seems like they would have extra batteries to offer as a replacement. Guess it's all about the money.

Posted By: SillyBilly
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 3:32pm
what ever happen to the solar powered car?

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 3:35pm
I heard it was actually dangerous to have to work on a hybrid because of the battery placement and such.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 3:59pm
Ok, so for ten years we just let them wear out? The heck are these designers thinking?

Posted By: tangelo53
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 10:06am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br] Hybrids are a farse!

Definitely could be a farse...I copied this from consumer reports website:

Hybrid owners haven't been exempt from feeling this pinch either. In our testing, we fell way short of EPA estimates of 60 mpg city and 51 mpg highway. Our Prius managed only 35 mpg in the city and 50 mpg on the highway, with an average of 44 mpg overall.
Many owners of hybrid vehicles, such as this Toyota Prius, have complained because they are unable to achieve the same fuel economy reported by the EPA.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 10:26am
quote:
Originally posted by tangelo53
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br] Hybrids are a farse!

Definitely could be a farse...I copied this from consumer reports website:

Hybrid owners haven't been exempt from feeling this pinch either. In our testing, we fell way short of EPA estimates of 60 mpg city and 51 mpg highway. Our Prius managed only 35 mpg in the city and 50 mpg on the highway, with an average of 44 mpg overall.
Many owners of hybrid vehicles, such as this Toyota Prius, have complained because they are unable to achieve the same fuel economy reported by the EPA.

Poor argument - I've purchased several cars in the past and NONE have ever achieved the EPA fuel economy. Are you saying that your car does?

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 11:58am
Is there such a car that has ever reached 50 mpg?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 8:31am
I owned a 2001 Chevy Metro, which got 51 MPG on the Highway (in excess of it's EPA rating). I had a friend way back in High School who had a diesel Rabbit, which got over 50 MPG.

All of my current cars get about what the EPA says.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 10:27am
VW Jetta with TDI engine gets 50mpg on diesel. Now if they'd just distribute biodiesel in sufficient quantity we could reduce emissions and transition to a susainable energy source WHILE decreasing our dependence on foreign oil. Seems that isn't going to be the case though.

Oh, VW TDI doesn't qualify for CF plates either.

Rode in a Jetta this week. And rode in a Prius for the first time yesterday (he didn't have CF plates, so picked up slugs). Jetta--nicer ride, more legroom, lots of headroom. Prius--legroom adequate, headroom lacking for a 6' tall person.

Prius computer also showed 44 mpg average. It was a brand new Prius too. Engines typically get better gas mileage if they're properly maintained and after their break-in period. By the time hybrids are getting broken in, they're breaking themselves.

NoSb

Posted By: tangelo53
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 10:54am
Poor argument - I've purchased several cars in the past and NONE have ever achieved the EPA fuel economy. Are you saying that your car does?

Poor argument, whatever!! My car doesn't get 100% what EPA states, but atleast it is close! This article stated that the Hybrid should get 60 mpg city and it only got 35mpg!!! Come on-- that is only 59%!! Quite a discrepancy! Sounds like a sales pitch to me!! Batter up!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 12:32pm
Isn't deisel cheaper than oil? or are they the same?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 12:34pm
Why can't we use grease from the restraunts like that guy on the news? That would be cool if we had cars that could run off of grease or trash for that matter.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 12:34pm
um....WHAT !?!?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 1:49pm
Doesnt that smell? Think about it, if we all drove fast-food-fat cars, the whole stinkin world would smell like a giant french fry! Wouldnt that make the air greesy? Iew.....

(too much chocolate today folks, mind my messages)

Posted By: Jerry Seinfeld
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 2:01pm
What's the deal with these grease fueled cars? Wouldn't that ultimately just make the cars obese? Then the miles per gallon would really suck! We'd have a long line of slow moving cars...some would pull over and rest because we fed grease into the tank causing the cars to feel obese and sluggish.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 2:04pm
get it.. slugish...ha ha...haa haa...

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 2:06pm
Yes...he is getting better.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 2:11pm
shhhhhh....don't provoke him!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2006 at 2:33pm
Sluggish..Hardee har-har. Are you saying us slugs are fat?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net