Print Page | Close Window

Anti-hybrid road rage

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: Archived Slugging Topics
Forum Name: Hybrids
Forum Description: This area is devoted to the discussion of hybrid vehicles and their impact to the HOV.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2588
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 11:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anti-hybrid road rage
Posted By: Sparky
Subject: Anti-hybrid road rage
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 6:20pm
I drive a hybrid, and commute from Arlington to Silver Spring. I owned a hybrid for two years, and did not get CF plates to ride in the HOV because I, as a former slugger, bus, Metro, and sometimes VRE rider, wanted to do "my part." I cannot pick anyone up--nobody is going to Silver Spring and I live too close to DC to justify driving out to the outer suburbs to pick someone up. Because of my commute, I recently broke down and got CF plates. To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30, when there isn't much traffic on the HOV lane. I come home after HOV is over.

That said, as I was trying to merge onto the HOV lane from Shirlington, an SUV carrying three people sped up as I was trying to enter the lane--and wouldn't let me over until the very last minute. The passengers in this vehicle flipped me the bird. Nice. A couple of days ago. I saw something similar happen with another hybrid driver.

I know that this is a divisive issue, but is this kind of thing really necessary? Because it's not going to scare me from driving in the HOV lane, but someone could really, really get hurt. And over what?

Replies:
Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2006 at 3:56pm
If you want to generate good feelings, you need three people in your car when driving on an HOV3 road.

They shouldn't be doing that to you regardless... People do that to me too even with three people in my car. Even if I'm going faster than the lanes of traffic, they try to speed up to prevent me from getting in. It's not an every day thing, but often enough.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 7:19am
Kindness, good manners, and courtesy are in short supply. [:(]

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 11:06am
"To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30..." REALITY ALERT: SOV Hybrids don't lessen congestion ever. Putting two extra live bodies in your car lessens congestion - at all times.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 1:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]"To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30..." REALITY ALERT: SOV Hybrids don't lessen congestion ever. Putting two extra live bodies in your car lessens congestion - at all times.

Even better, use public transportation - like the slugs should

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 2:31pm
This isn't much different than anti-HOV road rage that occurs at the end of the restricted lanes every afternoon.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 3:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

People doing nothing to lessen congestion should be first on the bus. You have options other than driving yourself.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 4:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]
quote:

People doing nothing to lessen congestion should be first on the bus. You have options other than driving yourself.

And so do you. BTW, I took bus and Metro for years before I even bought a car. Trust me, I exhausted all options.

Luddite said: To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30..." REALITY ALERT: SOV Hybrids don't lessen congestion ever. Putting two extra live bodies in your car lessens congestion - at all times.

Luddite, please read my first post again. I cannot take riders in my car if no one wants to go to Silver Spring. Secondly, by the time I get on the HOV at Shirlington at 8:30 or so, there is very little traffic on HOV, particularly since the major part of the rush hour is over.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 6:33pm
Sparky,
That was addressed to the person suggesting that everyone else ride busses while he drives alone.

Another possible annoying thing people do is try to merge into 65 MPH traffic while doing 45 MPH, like I saw a minivan doing this afternoon. I slowed down and let them in, but it wouldn't be unusual for that type of driving to get a deserved finger response.

I didn't suspect this was your situation when I responded before, and I still don't.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 6:38am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Sparky,
That was addressed to the person suggesting that everyone else ride busses while he drives alone.

Another possible annoying thing people do is try to merge into 65 MPH traffic while doing 45 MPH, like I saw a minivan doing this afternoon. I slowed down and let them in, but it wouldn't be unusual for that type of driving to get a deserved finger response.

I didn't suspect this was your situation when I responded before, and I still don't.

Got it. Sorry about that. Thanks.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 9:28am
Sparky,
You're just another SOV hybrid clogging the HOV lanes - even if only from Shirlington. Will the phoney justifications we all hear from SOV Hybrids ever end? Do us all (HOV3) a favor and put yourself back in the regular lanes.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 11:55am
quote:
[br]Sparky,
You're just another SOV hybrid clogging the HOV lanes - even if only from Shirlington. Will the phoney justifications we all hear from SOV Hybrids ever end? Do us all (HOV3) a favor and put yourself back in the regular lanes.

How about you do us all a favor and live closer to town, or better yet, take public transportation? Arlington is a fantastic place to live in.

Do you see how counterproductive being snippy is? Seriously, I've respected your opinion. Respect mine. At this time it is legal for me to drive in the HOV lane. I have not abused that right; for at least two years I avoided it until my commute became unbearable. I have given my reasons for why I do so; I even make accomodations so that I'm not a hinderance. If you don't accept those, fine.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 12:13pm
Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is contraversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

And while sparky has a little different situation than others in this forum who commute from the nether reaches of suburbia, that alone does not make it alright to drive SOV in the HOV lanes. The hybrid exemption fails on all counts; it discriminates, it adds to congestion, it fails to help any of the traffic problems in this area. The only beneficiaries are the auto manufacturers. Yes, auto companies are the only beneficiaries; (not hybrid drivers, who pay more for an inferior vehicle and eventually will pollute far more when their batteries end up in landfills). Let's keep our eyes on the ball, fossil fuels are so last century. For once GM has it right with ethanol and hydrogen fuels.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 12:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is contraversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

And while sparky has a little different situation than others in this forum who commute from the nether reaches of suburbia, that alone does not make it alright to drive SOV in the HOV lanes. The hybrid exemption fails on all counts; it discriminates, it adds to congestion, it fails to help any of the traffic problems in this area. The only beneficiaries are the auto manufacturers. Yes, auto companies are the only beneficiaries; (not hybrid drivers, who pay more for an inferior vehicle and eventually will pollute far more when their batteries end up in landfills). Let's keep our eyes on the ball, fossil fuels are so last century. For once GM has it right with ethanol and hydrogen fuels.

Raymond, would you feel the same way if flex-fuel vehicles were allowed to be SOV? As for batteries ending up in landfills, all vehicles have the potential to suffer the same fate. And while I am looking forward to alternative fuel vehicles, I'm not depending on GM, which is on it's last legs, to deliver them.

Posted By: dickboyd
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 3:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
[br]
quote:
[br]Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is controversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

Raymond, would you feel the same way if flex-fuel vehicles were allowed to be SOV? As for batteries ending up in landfills, all vehicles have the potential to suffer the same fate. And while I am looking forward to alternative fuel vehicles, I'm not depending on GM, which is on it's last legs, to deliver them.

When Stan Parris lowered HOV to 3, the pundits of the day were forecasting that by 2006 the occupancey would be 0.9. Every tenth vehicle would have to be towing an empty vehicle. [}:)]

The powers of darkness and forces of evil are not the hybrid SOV drivers. The POD and FOE are the responsible individuals (CTB by appointment) and elected officials that establish the operating rules. Elected officials that recognize that voters aren't watching the magicians creating problems.

Spend a little more pitchfork, torches and storming of castles against the true POD and FOE.

Recruit three slugs. Ask your human resources office to give everybody a raise by using the corporate pitchfork to promote ridesharing.

dickboyd@aol.com

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 3:39pm
raymond: actually, there are many reasons why it is not only OK but highly desireable for legislators to allow SOV in the express lanes. After all, it used to be buses only, then HOV-4 - so change is normal based on changing circumstances. You seem unable to accept change.

At the same time, global crisis exists with dwindling fuel resources and global warming. The VERY BEST plan for the express lanes is to ban private vehicles; next best is to allow HOV hybrids along with public transportation vehicles.

The question is which is "better", conventional HOV (which does nothing to help with the major global problems when those vehicles are not being used for commuting) or SOV hybrids (which may be less efficient than some HOV conventional vehicles during commuting only, but are the clear choice when not being used for commuting). Throw into the mix that express lanes are still far faster and more free flowing than the regular lanes during commuting hours.

Is ethanol "better" than hybrid? Don't really know - I neither see ethonla vehicles our here or where to fuel them.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 12:14pm
quote:
[br]Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is contraversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

And while sparky has a little different situation than others in this forum who commute from the nether reaches of suburbia, that alone does not make it alright to drive SOV in the HOV lanes. The hybrid exemption fails on all counts; it discriminates, it adds to congestion, it fails to help any of the traffic problems in this area. The only beneficiaries are the auto manufacturers. Yes, auto companies are the only beneficiaries; (not hybrid drivers, who pay more for an inferior vehicle

Not so, according to Consumer Reports (who is in the pocket of no one, I might add), who declared the Prius as one of its top cars for 2006, and cited the Prius for reliability.

Posted By: newtoslug
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 4:08pm
You know, this antihybrid road rage still is road rage and if anything happens as a result is criminal.

It's never okay to be aggressive or threatening. You know, it's the powers that be that are at fault for allowing the hybrids on and definitely at fault for not ending the exemption as originally intended.

As for condemming the hybrid owners for choosing to travel solo, well, until otherwise notified by the State it is allowed. Just get over it.

Wait until the tolls come.... Now that is something to attack with a vengance.

Posted By: Freud
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 2:34pm
I am a new hybrid driver but with two people in the car with me so I guess that makes me HOV-3 CF. On rare occasions, I ride alone or with just my son in the backseat where most other drivers can't see him. I have had people drive aggressively when it is just he and I and just because hybrid drivers are allowed to ride alone doesn't give you the right to attempt to murder myself and my child.

You know, some us have schedules where slugging or public transportation doesn't work for us.

1.) The last VRE train leaves too early for me.
2.) As does the Martz bus.
3.) Slugging - if I get there too close to 6 p.m. in the evenings the chances of me getting a ride are slim.

Is the real reason why slugs are so angry at hybrid drivers is that with us driving SOV, there are less free rides available?

I mean, let's be honest - the hybrid drivers are accused of being selfish - is it fair to say that slugs are cheap? Granted, the perk for the drivers is having 3 in the car and being allowed in the HOV lanes.

The law is what it is for the time being....get over it and stop harrassing the hybrid drivers.

Posted By: Snowball
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 3:40pm
According to commuter connection customers over two dozen vanpools have broken up as the occupants have decided to Hybrid the HOV lanes. At at an average of 9 persons to a van that means almost 200 new hybrids on the I95 corridor. Along with dozens of people who used to ride the train, bus and slug who now own Hybrids the HOV lanes have become HVOV (High Volume Of Vehicle) lanes with 4 out of every 10 cars being a Hybrid. What a sad day for the northern viginia transportation system. Our politicians should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen. What used to be a working commuter solution has now become a joke. Of course the automobile industry is happy and their lobyist are fat and happy as well.

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 5:43pm
quote:
[br]
The question is which is "better", conventional HOV (which does nothing to help with the major global problems when those vehicles are not being used for commuting) or SOV hybrids (which may be less efficient than some HOV conventional vehicles during commuting only, but are the clear choice when not being used for commuting). Throw into the mix that express lanes are still far faster and more free flowing than the regular lanes during commuting hours.

NoSUV, we argued this in another thread and based on real numbers, not opinions, that on average hybrids don't make up on "non-commuting miles" for their extra pollution when driving SOV in HOV. Yet you keep repeating your flawed logic.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2437

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2006 at 10:36am
Sparky,

Let me applaud your civility in responding to some folks on here who didn't return the courtesy. I understand your situation. Maybe a better system would take into account "limited CF SOV" usage at less than peak times in the HOV. We're not sophisticated for that apparently. I agree, traffic at the time you've chosen is less than on the front end of the HOV hours. Good time you get to sleep in too eh?

I like getting home early enough to have some sunshine in the afternoon/evening, so I make a choice to endure the pain in the morning--although with your own logic you also don't support SOVs during peak HOV time periods.

Ethanol again: How many people are wasting their $$ on Premium unleaded? Looks like a good candidate for the E85 nozzle to me...of course, what do I really know?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2006 at 8:47pm
Thank you, N or S.

Your suggestion could be a good one, but the whole situation plays up what is an overall problem for suburb-to-suburb commuters. [:(!]

I think another issue is that most of us comutting to SS are not feds. I'm not, work in the private sector and my schedule is not considered a "standard shift."

As for $$$ on premium gas, the Prius runs on 87 octane regular.

Posted By: tangelo53
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 9:56am
Did anyone else notice the ridiculous number of Hybrids on HOV this morning?? I only counted 2 "normal" cars from the beginning of HOV North (around Quantico) to the Woodbridge exit!!! yes, only 2!!! All of the other cars were Hybrids. Now--those of you that think Hybrids are not a MAJOR cause of the congestion....go ahead and look out your window once a while at the cars around you. The Hybrids are multiplying everyday!! I am not against Hybrids at all...just don't understand why if these Hybrid drivers are so "pro-environment".....why they won't pick up slugs or commute with others to lessen the traffic and pollutants on the road. You know that our fearless leaders are not going to do anything about the commuter hell we go through everyday....Hybrid drivers: can you PLEEEEEASE pick up some riders....we need your help!!

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 11:38am
Tangelo53,
If you're not against SOV Hybrids, you're part of the problem. SOV Hybrids are not about the environment. They're about clogging the roads and selfishness. Take away the hybrid exemption on 395 and 66 and you'll see about as many flying cars as hybrids. Its simple. Hybrid ownership is about 98% free ride on HOV. Get it? Sheesh.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 12:19pm
... Except for those who bought hybids for the fuel economy and must drive to work on roads that do not offer HOV lanes as there are on 95/395 and 66.(For example, two neighbors in Burke with hybrids drive every workday to their workplaces at Dulles and Tysons Corner without ever getting on I-95/395 or 66).

I do not own a hybrid and choose to be in a regular carpool or to use the slug system when necessary, but I don't put all hybrids in the "abusing HOV" category. There are a few hybrid owners that an exemption to use HOV lanes to commute to and from work just doesn't apply. [:)]

BTW, I am 100% for every I-95/395 HOV commuter vehicle having at least 3 SOBs (Souls On Board). We always have a blast with the 3 or 4 SOBs in our carpool! A hybrid driver without any other SOBs must be a lonely soul. Hug a slug today! [;)]

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 12:20pm
Yeah, but most get to "feel good" about themselves as they're driving a "green" car even in their own self-contained world that doesn't interact with the world of reality around them.

But...it is a done deal. The exemption is here to stay for whatever period of time they decided. The way VA State govt is set up allows a bad decision to perpetuate since there is no vested interest on the part of the legislators who passed the exemption. Unless there WAS a vested interest, but it wasn't for the voters in the state who can't vote for/against the legislators who carried the vote for the exemption.

Nice how the scammers get to run their scam. Those who would "appear" loyal to their voting constituency by voting down the exemption still benefit from the PACs because they knew the measure was going to carry in the first place because enough votes were outside of the immediate area that their consituency didn't care about.

Democracy (even as we practice it) isn't the best system, but it's better than any alternative we've come up with so far.

NoSb

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 1:33pm
What we are seeing is influence peddling by the auto industry and other speacial interests. I'm sure if we were exposed to even 1 percent of what goes on on Capitol Hill we would be nauseated. In this case, we got a real good look at how the system works at the state level and how lobbyists corrupt the system.

The way I see the hybrid mess, the feds should have very strict control over what happens on the interstates. But they have copped out and handed it over to the states. In the case of construction the feds and states have copped out to get money from tolls because they dont have the spine to raise the gas tax or cut wasteful spending. On policies such as the hybrids, they have been bought by the auto lobby.

It really is unconscionable for our state reps to abandon us and give no reason (that I have heard) other than "we dont control what comes out of committee, etc." Where is the SPINE? The hybrid exemption is wrong on principal, fairness, traffic analysis and every other measure other than lobbyist money. They should have voted NO on it, even if it gave us the "benefit" of the grandfather clause. (Next year they will extend it again, and again until HOT lanes come in).

If anyone has any specifics on what was said re the hybrid vote by Lingamfelter, McQuigg or others please post it.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 8:47pm
Wow, Bob! Hard to believe that every legislator in Virginia is in the pocket of the auto lobby. Wasn't the vote nearly overwhelming?

Did ya ever think that YOU were out of step?

Of course not!

BTW - on I-395 express lanes during HOV hours, I still have to slow down to get to the speed limit. Can't say the same about the regular lanes.

Did I say out of step?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2006 at 4:51pm
NoSUV,
On portions of 95, the regular lanes are almost always faster than the HOV lanes. We don't make it to the speed limit except on special occassions either.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2006 at 6:50pm
MDC- Perhaps the anti-hybrid ranting should be confined to I-95 then, instead of lumping I-395 in with it. Dilutes the valid argument when false information added to it.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2006 at 7:30am
NoSUV,

I like that. That is definitely a salient point worth considering (even if it does benefit you!).

Would be nice to treat the 2 pieces of concrete ribbon as separate highways. That would serve, for a time, to make the portions that are particularly congested and problematic more manageable. I wonder if this has been discussed (RLD you know?).

NoSb

Posted By: tangelo53
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2006 at 8:21am
quote:
[br]Tangelo53,
If you're not against SOV Hybrids, you're part of the problem. SOV Hybrids are not about the environment. They're about clogging the roads and selfishness. Take away the hybrid exemption on 395 and 66 and you'll see about as many flying cars as hybrids. Its simple. Hybrid ownership is about 98% free ride on HOV. Get it? Sheesh.

OK....did you not ready my post, Luddite? I am against SOV Hybrids!!! I am not against the Hybrids, but as I stated...I think they should pick up riders to make them "HOV-worthy"!! Get is? Sheesh.

Posted By: herbs
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2006 at 10:00pm
quote:
[br]MDC- Perhaps the anti-hybrid ranting should be confined to I-95 then, instead of lumping I-395 in with it. Dilutes the valid argument when false information added to it.

Annd the anti-hybrid push should be confined to that corridor. I-66 is fine, even with hybrids.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 12:28am
It looks like NoSUV is fine with eliminating the CF exemption on I-95 as long as it doesn't affect his ability to SOV in the HOV lanes on I-395.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2006 at 5:34pm
MDC - not what I wrote. What I said was that you need to be more specific when complaining. When people state that the express lanes during HOV hours are clogged in the I95/I395, it's simple to pick it apart - I-395 faces no such express lane congestion. I gladly point that out to my delegate and senator, and I provide dates and times of my commute. When it comes to all or nothing, it's simple to show that the hybrid exemption does not have the negative impact touted by slugs, and many of the positive impacts for helping the environment and saving on fuel consumption.

On the other hand, I have no direct empirical knowledge of problems (or lack thereof) further south of the beltway. If I66 is also not a congestion concern because of hybrids (per herbs), then the all or nothing scenario favors the extension.

Focus, MDC. Focus.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2006 at 5:48pm
quote:
[br]Wow, Bob! Hard to believe that every legislator in Virginia is in the pocket of the auto lobby. Wasn't the vote nearly overwhelming?

Did ya ever think that YOU were out of step?

Uh, go look up campaign financing for Virginia. Car dealers are easily one of the most powerful lobbies. They are in every district and they all give money.

http://www.vpap.org/cands/cand_cmtes_level1.cfm?CmteID=Htransport&CmteName=House%20Transportation

http://www.vpap.org/cands/cand_cmtes_level1.cfm?CmteID=Stransport&CmteName=Senate%20Transportation

In looking at these numbers, what stikes me as odd is that Delegate Brian Moran from Alexandria got over $20,000 from auto dealers. That's a huge chunk of change for state politics. He isn't from an area you'd expect big auto money for.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2006 at 12:06pm
I suggest we accommodate NoSUV. CF plated cars can use HOV between 8:30-9AM, and 3:30-4PM.

It's obvious that is when NoSUV uses them. .

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2006 at 1:10pm
Why, yes, MDC, I HAVE used the express lanes then - but usually from 0640 - 0650, and 1630 - 1640 (about 10 min each way on I-395). Actually, you have a GREAT suggestion - the HOV hours should be reduced as you recommend.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2006 at 3:17pm
Great! "CF" plated cars must have 3 from now on between 6-8:30AM, and 4-6PM. That will help immensely.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 7:40am
MDC: I gather you will be leading the charge to reduce the hours of HOV use. Thanks!

BTW, no traffic in the express lanes on I-395 again yesterday afternoon, but backups in the regular lanes - of course, WITH the hybrid exemption in place. How much longer do you think it will take before VDOT and the legislature realize that the HOV hours need reduction?

Also fascinating to see that the dire predictions about the horrors from exending the hybrid exemption have failed to materialize. Looks like the legislators got that one right!

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 2:42pm
I suggested reducing the time that special SOVs could legally be in HOV. Where are you going wrong?

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2006 at 7:57am
MDC: It appears as though you agreed that HOV hours should be reduced. Seems to be the most logical conclusion from your posts.

Don't forget, they are NOT HOV lanes - they are express lanes. Use your fingers to figure out the number of hours the lanes are used for HOV, and then remove your socks and shoes to help you count the number of hours the lanes are not used for HOV. Rarely if ever do you name something after its minority use.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2006 at 10:37am
NoSUV,

You gotta suck this one up bud. http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-default.asp#nova

Probably more "authoritative" than either your or my or mdc's logic can withstand.

NoSb

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 2:12pm
NoSUV,
Using your logic, there are no HOV restricted hours now...

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 3:14pm
I am not sure I understand the purpose in the exchanges with NoSUV. If you say the sky is blue, he will surely say the sky is red. If you say it might be gray, he will surely twist your words against you and say that proves the sky is red. If you said saying it might be gray did not mean its red, and he misunderstood you, he will say you agreed as a logical extension that his view of the world that the sky is red is correct. I mean what is the point? It don't matter that everyone in the world knows the sky is really blue, and sometimes gray during the winter, all that matters to him is that he THINKS it is red, and your opinion really will never change his opinion even if the facts do not support him.

I guess I don't understand the purpose of engaging him when he clearly has no interest in the truth...

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2006 at 1:17pm
CMMS: Are you saying you can't get your socks off to count the hours in the day? Is proportional math beyond you? Hope not!

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2006 at 2:37pm
CallmeMrSlug,
It serves a reinforcement purpose. NoSUV can keep digging as long as NoSUV wants. :p

Posted By: Max_28756
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 2:24pm
Once again, if the hybrid owners really believe they want to save the environment, they will travel in the regular lanes. Since hybrid technology is only effective in slow traffic (notice how their city mileage is higher than their highway mileage figures), they will be saving the environment and still remain SOV. Clear up the HOV lanes for us gas guzzlers with 3 or more passengers, thus saving fuel since we no longer will be stuck in the traffic caused by the ever increasing SOV hybrids.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 7:31am
Max - actually, I get worse mileage in stop and go traffic? Do you have a clue about that which you post?

Posted By: Max_28756
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 9:20am
NoSUV - Simply take a look at the technology. Engine shuts down at low speeds but switches to gas once up to around 25mph. Uses electric boost to aid in quick acceleration. Your hybrid must be one of those that actually gets lower mpg than a regular car but for some reason still gets an exemption. If I need to point you to the information behind hybrid technology and also the information showing the number of regular cars exceeding the mpg of hybrids, simply ask.

Posted By: tresmetsb
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 9:43am
I am a new slugger (for about a month now). And I have seen the Hybrids, but have never had an ill feeling towards their right to be on HOV. I think that if one is following the law why should anyone be concerned. It is another matter when an SUV or Mini-Van, truck ect., gets into HOV (which is breaking the law). I mean if we want to talk about someone causing congestion, this should be the proper topic to vent on. I mean for the most part we are all just trying to survive, get to work safely and pay our bills, for those abiding by the law (including Hybrids) mad respect, but for others that get by, I wish there was away to alert the police everytime I see someone in HOV violation.

Sparky, I think your effort should be noted. mad respect to you!!!!

Tracy Burgess

Posted By: dilbertian
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 4:11pm
I would like to preface my message by saying that I have been a slug, an HOV3 driver, a carpool driver and I currently own both a Hybrid and a motorcycle, both of which I now use to gain access to the HOV lanes. I might slug if my job location was located near an area that had popular slug lines but for now I am kind of stuck - in Balston and sometimes Merrifield. When driving my Hybrid, I usually carpool with my wife whom I drop off at the Springfield Metro before continuing on my way.

There has been a lot of negativity and ridiculous comments made toward Hybrid drivers (probably by a few disturbed individuals no doubt) and I would like to bust a few of these Hybrid myths:

Myth 1. Hybrid drivers don't make eye contact with slugs because they feel shame and/or are afraid to face them.
Busted: Hybrid drivers are usually busy trying to drive their vehicles. We need to be looking at traffic ahead and behind of us and we don't have a lot of extra time left over for idle gazing out of windows. My advice for you slugs out there wanting to make contact with Hybrid drivers is to just sit back, relax and enjoy that free ride. Or, if you absolutely need to get some important message across, just write it down on some notebook paper with a thick dark marker and then hold it up to the window. If that doesn't work, try rolling down the window (ask driver permission first) and then wave your arms back and forth. I would be a bit surprised if these methods don't get that Hybrid driver to look over at you, if not for a brief second or two.

Myth 2. Hybrid drivers need to move out of the left lanes as they go too slow.
Busted: There is an equal distribution of inconsiderate drivers out on the HOV lanes. This has nothing to do with Hybrid or HOV3. If you are driving in the left lanes be you a Hybrid or a slug-laden HOV3+ vehicle, be considerate to others trying to pass you and move out of the left lane. If you don't want to move out of the left lane because you are planning to exit left or something, then try speeding up or slowing down to create an escape route so other drivers can still get around you on the right vs. driving in formation with the vehicle to your right.

Myth 3. Hybrid drivers are elitists, they are smug and conceited.
Busted: There is a broad diversity of individuals that make up the Hybrid community. No doubt some fit this description but it's not the norm. Hybrid drivers are more or less just like you, and are interested in getting to work and home from work quickly, efficiently and safely. Just remember, your primary car is probably like a Lexus or Mercedes and we are driving a crappy overpriced baseline Honda Civic with cloth seats and lots of rattles that is supposed to get 51mpg but really only gets like 40mpg unless you have a pre-2004 model with the software bug which says you are getting 50+mpg when in fact you are really just getting 40mpg. Our Hybrids only have like 100HP and you have like 300HP or even 400HP. You should feel like a god next to our little toy-like vehicles.

Myth 4. The HOV lanes are crowded all because of Hybrids.
Busted: There are more SOV federal and other emergency workers using the HOV lanes these days then ever before. There are more violators out there today then ever before and yes, there are definately more Hybrids out there today then ever before...but there are also more HOV3's out there then ever before as well. And all this while we are still sitting at 2 lanes, the same as it was in the 1970s. Okay so they added some shoulders so those 2 lanes are much safer today then back then but still its two lanes. Look at the population difference between now and the 1970s. I have no clue what the difference is exactly but i'm sure it's probably a factor of 10x if not 20x more people now than back then. What we need to do is to either add more HOV lanes or to make the rules for qualifying for riding in the HOV lanes much stricter. Move from HOV3 to HOV4 and don't allow Hybrids on them, or something like that. Write your representatives...and let them know how you feel but don't take it out on the Hybrid drivers as the sole cause of this multidimensionally complex issue. What about adding HOV lanes to the main lanes like are on 66 and allowing Hybrids out there but not inside the current HOV lanes? What about building a southern bypass down 301 to re-route mainline traffic to help relieve some of that congestion as well? With all of the tax dollars we pay around here (mine taxes have gone up about 20% for the last 5 years) you would think we (Northern Virginia) could have better representation for road funds with VDOT. Instead of widening our much needed HOV lanes, VDOT is busy building Corridoor-H or some other super highway in the middle of nowhere that few will ever use. The primary problem with the HOV lanes is that they have suffered a long term abuse and lack of long term planning to keep pace with our growing population. Our representatives are currently in a "band-aid" mode, passing new laws that only get us to through the next 6 months or a year in hopes that HOT lanes will swoop in and relieve them of this burden and then they can let a private company take all of the heat and say it's not their fault.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 6:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by dilbertian
[br] I would like to bust a few of these Hybrid myths:

Myths are better busted with facts than opinions...

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2006 at 8:15am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by dilbertian
[br] I would like to bust a few of these Hybrid myths:

Myths are better busted with facts than opinions...

And the end of the world scenarios from VDOT to hybrid haters to the Washington Post have yet to materialize from the extension of the hybrid exemption to use express lanes during HOV hours. Why is that? BECAUSE IT WAS A MYTH!

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 3:40pm
Dilbertian seems to have common sense and a perspective that is not one sided. Welcome aboard. Be prepared for pages and pages of pointless hybrid debates.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net