Print Page | Close Window

Spring break

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2668
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 3:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spring break
Posted By: bigmike
Subject: Spring break
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 10:48am
So, who has off? It was a smooth trip to work today, didnt even pick up any slugs. Drove 65 the whole way in, windows down, Van Halen playing... It was a good morning, calm and relaxing.

Replies:
Posted By: mariam0673
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 1:57pm
nice...that would explain why it only took me an hour door-to-door to get in this morning - and i'm coming from Quantico...hope it's like this all week!

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 1:59pm
me too!

by the way, how fast were you driving? People on here dont believe me when I say there are times you are doing 75-80 but it feels like 50.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:34pm
did you mean in the HOV lanes or regular lanes??...when I used to pick up slugs it wasn't unheard of for me to do 80 in the HOV

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:43pm
in the HOV. There is a user here who thinks going 75-80 makes it necessary for me to be put on the DONT RIDE WITH list or something like that. He thinks I am hell on wheels, I tried politely telling him it is VERY possible, but he wouldnt listen. Maybe you can be more convincing.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:52pm
I've been passed by more than one car while I was doing 80...something tells me you and I aren't the only ones to be concerned about

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:54pm
thank you !!! I was tempted to hook up the camcorder in my car and get footage of my commute but figured, its not worth all that trouble!

for those wondering, I have a camera mount in my car, I wouldnt be using my hands.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:58pm
a camera mount in your car??...yeah, I'm not gonna ask [:p]

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:00pm
lets just say I have been stopped a few too many times in my sports cars by a cop saying I was doing 120 when I was doing 75. With a camera, he dont have a leg to stand on in court. :-) For some reason, cops in PW county HATE sports cars....

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:02pm
ah...interesting..thanks for clearing that up!

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:04pm
didnt want you to think I was getting "freaky" in the car. lol Cars are for driving, nothing else! although, some were meant to be driven harder than others, its still driving.

Besides, I got a cavalier now, cant drive it "too" hard. What do you drive?

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:14pm
a civic...but I love my little car...he can go pretty fast when I need him to...of course I don't need him to do any crazy speeds, but he's a good little car...silver lightening!!

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:16pm
hehe, mine is black and I call him SuperCavy! I like the civic's, especially the new ones! 40mpg highway! Thats almost hybrid territory, for a gas engine!

As fun as my car is, I am starting to hate driving a manual.

Almost time for you to get so, be careful out there! Bumper to bumper is usually where accidents happen.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:19pm
a manual in No. VA....you're crazy...I like the new civics, too...mine's a 2001...*sigh*...

you have a safe ride home, too!!

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:21pm
yes, I have been called crazy a few times. :-)

Look forward to chattin with ya tomorrow, if you will be here.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:22pm
I'll be here [8D]

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 5:23pm
that goes double for me then!

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2006 at 10:31am
another great drive in...it got a little sticky around seminary, but still made it here in just an hour!

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2006 at 11:09am
I made my movie! A few of them actually. I have one where I set the cruise at 80 and merged onto the highway, another one with cruise at 80 and then I go up and show traffic going the same speed as me, and the last one is showing HOV, the normal lanes, and then back to my speedo to show we are all going the same speed. They will be uploaded tonight.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 8:23am
quote:
Originally posted by mariam0673
[br]a manual in No. VA....you're crazy...I like the new civics, too...mine's a 2001...*sigh*...

you have a safe ride home, too!!

Love my manual trans. And I live in NoVA. Thanks to HOV (when I drive) I rarely hit enough traffic to make it stop and go.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 8:57am
yeah, I can't speak from experience...never driven a manual...I've just always heard people complain about how tough it is with traffic around here...but then again none of them rode in the HOV lanes [8D]

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:11am
The topic of this thread is "Spring Break." It is Spring Break. I believe the traffic is just a bit lighter than usual (how about 40 percent?). Next week starting Tues.- welcome to reality.

And driving 80? I believe that is reckless driving, about 8 points (?) on your license and higher insurance.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:21am
actually, bob, go to the pet peeves topic and watch the movie. It explains all. And 80 in a 65 is NOT reckless, its merely speeding as reckless is 20+ mph over, not 15. Also, Reckless driving carries a maximum penalty of 6 points, $2000 fine, and up to a year in jail. BUT, 80 in a 65 is speeding, not reckless.

AND, a slug I picked up this morning recognized me, and hopefully she posts because she agreed that 80 is not that fast and acceptable speeds for the route we take at the time we take it.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:26am
In Virginia, 80 mph is reckless driving. There is a special clause that states that 80 is always considered reckless, even in a 65. Call the VA state police if you dont believe it.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:29am
I dont have to believe it, 100 is considered reckless regardless of the speed limit, 80 is not, it is STILL considered speeding in a 65 zone. And I will check the VA Code and quote it if you like...

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:32am
here ya go, I love working at a law firm:

"§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit."

Notice it says in EXCESS of 80, so if I dont do 81, it is still considered speeding. :-)

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:35am
BUT, mind you, read this carefully, IF 40 other cars are going the same speed, and they pull me over, thats profiling and they cant do that.

Want to continue the argument?

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:38am
Thanks for the code. It proves what I said.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:40am
NO, you said 80 itself is reckless, its not, 81+ is. :-) Its too early to be bickering over this subject. Just watch the movie I made.

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 10:11am
It's not profiling if you're the one the radar gun happened to be locked on. I'm sure the boys in blue can't make out the color of your skin a mile down the road.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 11:06am
sure it is, if 10 cars are going 80 in a 65, im in the middle and they stop ME, that WILL get thrown out of court. I have seen it AND been a victim of it.

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 11:19am
quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
[br]sure it is, if 10 cars are going 80 in a 65, im in the middle and they stop ME, that WILL get thrown out of court. I have seen it AND been a victim of it.

That's the first time I've heard that. I've always thought that it would be just my bad luck since I WAS speeding. If this is true, how do you prove in court that there were others speeding with you?

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 11:32am
the better question is, how can the cop justify in all honesty that you were 1 of 10 that was going the fastest when all are at the same speed?

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 11:34am
I've had many a speeding and reckless driving ticket. If they get you, they get you. If all the other cars drove off a bridge, would you do it too? And who's fault would it be if you did. Next time I get hit I'll try that in court, I might get lucky

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 12:19pm
BM,

Are you asking for a police officer to testify to what he DIDN'T see (e.g. other speeders) as opposed to what he DID see (the one pulled over because he had him dead to rights and in radar gun sights)? In the normal course of court cases, witnesses are only asked to tell what they did see.

Don't think you have a chance of making that one work. You can get out of most speeding tickets in many places by merely showing up in court though. The ones who do break the laws do induce drag on an entire system by taking police officers from doing other duties that may relatively be more important in the course of their day.

Consider: more laws broken, more enforcement necessary. What's the gov't response? More law enforcement officers and equipment. Now, wanna speak to increasing taxation?

I'd like to hear if you can make a "profiling defense" work vs a speeding ticket. Even if you aren't speeding...but then, you wouldn't get a speeding ticket if you weren't speeding--probably.

Note: I'm not saying I don't speed, but I don't think I can use some excuse that may be based on other "sensitivities" to get out of paying the penalty when I've done wrong.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 12:24pm
Take it from a high who has driven high-profile vehicles all his life (until now). If there is a way to get out of a ticket, I know it. Sure I have been busted, and not contested it, and I have had attorneys, and I have paid some HUGE fines. BUT, in my example, you CAN get out of it by claiming profiling.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 12:32pm
And with that drving record you want slugs to risk life and limb with you behind the wheel? [V] Hope you have good liability coverage. [:)] Please drive safely and sanely, my friend. [;)]

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 12:43pm
NOW I do, believe me. I have learned my lesson in more ways than you guys could imagine. Hence why I dropped the V8's and went the 4 cylinder route. I am a VERY safe driver nowadays, im getting older, cant do what I did when I was a little younger.

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 12:16pm
get rid of these spammers please...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net