Print Page | Close Window

Asking to Take Three?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2673
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asking to Take Three?
Posted By: Oosik
Subject: Asking to Take Three?
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 8:51am
This morning I arrived at the slug lot at about 0610 and there were about 12 people waiting for rides. I picked up my two slugs and the third guy in line asked if I would take three (I do have a van). I told him "no." Whether he assumed I would take three or chose to ignore me, he began climbing into the van. I then told him a little more directly that I only take two.

If it had been later in the morning (or if the weather had been something other than absolutely beautiful), I would have taken three because slugs depend upon getting reliable rides. But at 0610, I KNOW that there are many other drivers coming behind me who depend on having slugs to drive HOV. Since drivers are the ones paying for insurance, upkeep and nearly $3 a gallon gas, I do not see that I should have to expose myself to extra liability and worse gas milage just to make a slug's morning commute a few minutes faster.

While the slugs in my line this morning may not have appreciated my decision, I know that some driver who is PAYING for the trip, did appreciate having slugs available for his ride to work.

Replies:
Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 10:32am
Oosik,

Agreed, you did as is within your perogative to do. As a slug, I just wait for the driver to indicate that 3 is allowed. Others don't.

Should be ok, don't go feeling bad about it. I've found there's a lot of slugs out there who don't understand the "code" of slugging. They should be pointed to the expectations outlined on this website.

Recommend the site next time too!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: bigmike
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 10:42am
I agree, it seems this person took it upon themself to get a ride, even though you politely declined. Bad move on their part.

I was recognized this morning by a member, but my other slug didnt even know about this site, so I told him. :-) I can get yall members!

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 11:00am
Oosik- at 610, it really depends on what time, weather, destination, day..etc...as to wether a slug asks to take a third. Some days I have been up to a 1/2 hour late to work, waiting a 1/2 hour to get to DC...because I couldve been a 3 in the car that drove up 10-30 minutes before hand, but the driver said no. Sometimes taking a third is not a bad thing.

:'}

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 11:26am
ya know, I would take 4 slugs if they were going where I was. Its funny how people drive a 6500lb. van and dont care about gas but adding a 200lb. guy is just TOO MUCH WEIGHT! lol

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 6:35pm
BigMike, I can't say I feel bad about it. The system requires both drivers and slugs. I am not driving an HOV to work and not picking up a single person. I do know what it is like to be a driver sitting there waiting for passengers so if there has to be someone waiting, I would rather it not be a driver who is actually paying for the trip. Like I said before, a fellow driver behind me a few minutes appreciated the fact that there were slugs to pick up.

BTW, I also drive in the 80s - when I'm on HOV with my TWO passengers. When I came back from Germany I thought it might be tough, but driving 80+ in the US (where it's technically a bit over the speed limit) is much better than being on the Autobahn stuck in a stau only knowing that you could be going fast if only for the traffic jam.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:22pm
I think that sludge just doesnt understand what its like on the route I take, which is why I made the movie.

I can only dream of being on the autobahn....

Posted By: phreakingeek
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 9:23am
I've been in that line and have witnessed the "Can you take 3?" attempts several times. I know that some people may not know the rules of the game...but there are legit reasons once in a while. I know of at least two couples that slug together...and on occaision they are not in the position to be the next "2" in line. They often ask to take a third so that they can ride together.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...just that sometimes it's couple trying to spend that extra hour together on the way to work.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 9:31am
in that case, im sure Oosik would have been more understanding. But it sounds like in his case, this guy was just being forceful.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 2:26pm
Thanks phreakingeek, my hubby and I ARE a couple just like that, on the way in to work its more of a comfort thing for me for us to ride in the same car. The way home it just makes sense..unless we want to "race" home to see who gets to the lot first. Uh, no.

BTW- we DONT bitch, moan or get pissy when we have to pass up a car because the driver either cant/wont take us both.

Posted By: HybridDriver
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 4:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by phreakingeek
[br]I've been in that line and have witnessed the "Can you take 3?" attempts several times. I know that some people may not know the rules of the game...but there are legit reasons once in a while. I know of at least two couples that slug together...and on occaision they are not in the position to be the next "2" in line. They often ask to take a third so that they can ride together.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...just that sometimes it's couple trying to spend that extra hour together on the way to work.

But since you're not supposed to talk, what do they do? Cuddle? [:D]

When I encounter a couple, I offer to take only one of them. You know, in case they have kids, and we don't make it.

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 10:17pm
Slugs, ask but don't presume a right to be a third, and don't argue when told no. Try offering some gas money instead.

Drivers, before taking 3, remember when you've had to wait 20 minutes for a slug because the good samaritans before you took too many.

Slugs, you're getting a free ride to work. If you have to wait a while, consider it your payment for the free ride.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Slugging works because drivers want to use the HOV to save travel time. When drivers have to waste time waiting on slugs, the value of picking up slugs diminishes.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 10:19pm
122582, give up your rants. No one is tipping.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 7:07am
adj,

122 is a fly-fisherman. I see his choice of fly is working still. Plenty of folks rising to the surface to either take a look at the fly or gobble it down. Why continue to allow this to "bug" you?

I admire the taunt that's put out there. and I've yet to see a tipcan/jar since returning to the slug lines.

NoSb

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 9:08am
Funny thing is, the day after I turned down the slug for being the third pax, I ended up waiting at the same lot at the same time for over five minutes. Although I was first in line I had three cars behind me when I finally pulled out. 122, I appreciate your concise way of expressing how slugging should work. BTW, I wouldn't turn down a tip, but haven't seen any come my way either.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 9:27am
I've slugged and driven for 18 years and have never once heard a slug complain or even say anything negative after asking "take 3?" when told "just two."

And it's very easy for a driver to hold up two fingers to indicate 2 riders. No words even need be exchanged. End of "problem."

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 9:41am
When the driver pulls up, they should indicate how many riders they're willing to take. If the driver doesn't, the caller should ask and relay that information.

That takes the "heat" off of the driver, and makes the "can you take more" question unnecessary.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 3:41pm
DC2RV- some drivers do, and thats cool. 12222245456 whatever the hell, SLUGGING IS FREE, IT NEEDS TO STAY THAT WAY!!

With that said, how long before the rising gas prices bring idiots like 122155456654 back on the boards ranting slugs need to pay for a ride?

Posted By: SlugsB1tch2Much
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 4:05pm
Take three!?? Hell, you guys are lucky if I take one.

Posted By: gmugrad
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 1:55pm
Sorry but if you are going to be late to work maybe you should get out of the slug line and take two riders in your own car so you will be on time. No one should have to take a 3rd. Personally I don't like to.

Posted By: gmugrad
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 1:58pm
Also if you want to ride as a couple then just pass the ride to the next person.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 3:11pm
Most slug rules are common sense divided by common courtesy.

We are all in this (crappy, leaky, smelly) boat of a commute together. One can ask for a lift, and one can refuse to give a lift, and have good reasons for both.

The issue is Supply and Demand: In the evening there are fewer drivers (experience tells me), we all really want to get home, and the slug no longer has the option of pulling out the keys: it is slugging or the bus. So asking for a third speeds the largest number home fastest.

Thus does Supply accommodate Demand.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2006 at 8:11am
Isn't it interesting that the bottom-feeders, the people who ride only, like GMHP, object the most violently to the suggestion of sharing expenses. Years of free rides, and she squawks louder than most.

And I do know what you look like, GMHP, so when I tell you to step back, I don't want you in my car, you'll understand why.

And don't come back here whining about the long lines and the summer heat!

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2006 at 8:18am
So that means you also know the size of my husband, you may not know his temper when someone is rude to his wife- so you'll understand if you pull a negative attitude on me, you'll be having a bad morning.

Who said I ride only? What if I do? Does that make me any less of a person to voice my opinion on this site? You sure have no problem picking at people for thier views.

Slugging is a free system beneficial to drivers and slugs, it started free, and should continue to be that way. Free. If you arent happy with the system, stop using it.

Posted By: phreakingeek
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2006 at 8:25am
I'm not sure how the thread got hijacked...but, since it's already off on this tangent...

I was wondering how many people have tipped, offered to tip, or been asked to tip a driver?

I tip the fine folks in the service industry with long standing traditions of recieving tips...waitpersons, doormen, cabbies, hotel staff...etc. but if i gave someone a ride, i'd feel uncomfortable with 'tipping' in that situation. Hence the phrase "can i give you a ride?" and not "can i sell you a ride?"

I'm no lawyer (thank God...and no offense to the honest men and women laywers, both of you) but wouldn't that raise the ugly specter of requiring drivers to then need a special license to convey paying passengers? Most states require paid drivers to have a limo license or cab permit...

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2006 at 9:11pm
GMHP,
Go home and stay home little girl. I can't stand a mouthy little bit, who has to threaten to get her husband after someone when she loses an argument.

I've seen your hubby, btw, and I could take him - I'm kind of a XXL myself. And while he's laying on the ground, I'd turn you over my knee, like your daddy should have done years ago.

I suspect that your husband would probably apologize for his mouthy wife, than risk getting hurt defending the honor of a dumpy little bottom feeder like you.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2006 at 9:38pm
[;)] C'mon kids .... play nice! [;)]

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 8:44am
See what I mean. Can anyone imagine having GMHP, her husband and 122582 in the car at the same time? Take two pax only.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 9:52am
I took three this morning, didnt see a problem with it. It was 8:50, I needed to get to work, no other cars were there so..gET IN!

:-)

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 1:10pm
Well, now you're physically threatening me with a spanking while fantasizing about my childhood rear end...any chance you work for Homeland Security?
They seem to like hiring child molesters/sexual deviants.

It's really cute that you're so e-tough(tm), a trait shared by pre-pubescent adolescents across the entire globe. If you were a real tough guy, well hell you wouldn't be nerding around on a message board EVERY day...actually if you were a real "tough guy" (tee-hee) you would post the make and model vehicle you drive along with a brief description of yourself. that way you'll actually get a chance to back up the ish you pop off.

You know I also noticed you like saying "bottom feeder" a lot, the fact that you repeatedly use it implies one of two things, A: You were once mentally crushed by someone who used that on you, it was true and it stung like hell, now whenever in an argument when you "rage on" those words swirl the miniscule mushy matter that barely constitutes your brain. Or 2: you’re just unable to think beyond that last diss you heard on "desperate housewives"
probably due to the fact that you're a Mouth-Breather(tm). Seriously, is your life that bad and so devoid of meaningful companionship that you troll on the boards, not trying to positively interact with us (you know "normal"
people), but that you have to offend/solicit moneys even though EVERY ONE thinks you're a total asshat for doing so?

Okay I know that's a lot to process so let’s recap:
1; You are registered on the sex-offenders list correct? If not I'm sure you're violating at least 2 laws.

2; An e-tough guy(tm), wow you can threaten a girl, and have masturbatory delusions of fisticuffs with her husband, your beaten and battered wife/same-sex life partner must be soooo proud. As a matter of fact, your mom would be proud too...if she weren't hacked up in pieces and stored in your basement (no mommy I'm not a girl I won’t wear that dress!!! LET ME OUT OF THE CLOSET!!!).

Please post your Appearance/ Vehicle Make and model/ and what lot you pick up from, www.imageshack.us hosts pictures for free, taking into account that you might have to put the Twinkies down long enough to smile for the camera.
So I won't hold my breath on a pic.

3; Thank you, I will now print out this thread and show my children the absolute effects of how being a total sociopath is so harmful to the human psyche and human spirit... You shall forever become a mythical boogieman I will use when the kids don't want to share/ or play nicely.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 1:12pm
GMHP....I think I love you! lol

hehe

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 1:35pm
Out with the bad air, in with the good.

Keep doing it until everyone is VERRRRRRY relaxed.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NoSb

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 3:31pm
Don't hold back GMHP, tell us how you really feel :)

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2006 at 8:40pm

Nicely put GMHP.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 6:11am
Wow, how many years have you been a student at Oprah U?

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 12:15pm
I do believe that 122582 has been put in his place. YEAHHHHHHH Way to go gmhp!!

Posted By: CeeJay
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 1:09pm
if i might hijack this thread back on topic for just a minute? i pick slugs up very occasionally, because i drive a car that isn't terrible comfortable for the person in the back seat. i pick up only when i've left it too late to get in on time without picking up riders. i can't take a third, because there is no foot room behind my seat. and when asked to take a third, even after i have indicated 2 riders, i've gotten eye rolls as if i was selfish. and this happens every single time of those occasional times when i pick up instead of drive in the main lanes.

now responding to the ongoing conversation in this thread. yes gmhp, you were provoked, but i think your remark about the Homeland Security Department was uncalled for. no i don't work for them, but i think that if all were known, you might find that you had someone working in your own organization with the same predilictions as the jerk recently outed in the press. you just made it seem like everyone who works for the Department of Homeland Security is a sleeze bag. nice going.

Posted By: Freud
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2006 at 12:00pm
GMHP, I know that you were offended and you had every right to fire back at 122582, but I think the essence of his message to you was purely of jest and no real ill will intended. Granted, he probably won't give you a ride home, but I bet you 122582's tip that he is not going to turn you over on his knee and give you a spanking....LOL

I found the the exchange quite humorous if anything.....thanks for the chuckle!

Posted By: MSCUSN
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2006 at 3:40pm
Wow, between GMHP and 122 someone would get the impression this was a grip board rather than an information board. Bottom line is this, gas prices are high, and will probably go higher, no one’s fault here I am sure. I have to drive everyday and do not seek a tip, nor do I want one, but I can understand some people feeling the burdened should be shared. I prefer not to carry a third rider, and do not like it when the riders get upset because I wont take a third or give door to door service. So I guess I am trying to say, chill out people….. after all if gas prices keep going higher, I will not need to pick up riders, the number of cars will decrease where the commute is the same in the HOV and regular lanes (guess there is a silver lining in the gas price cloud).

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2006 at 8:14pm
Here is my conclusion.

Driver:

Has to fill up car (their choice on gas station, and grade of fuel)
Has to go to a slug line to pick up riders (their choice to do this)
Has made a decision to take people to work

Slug:

Has to fill up their car to drive to lot (their choice on gas station, and grade of fuel)
Has gone to a slug line to get picked up (their choice to do this)
Has made a decision to get taken to work by a stranger

HOW ON EARTH can a driver, who willingly goes to pick up people to get to work faster, DEMAND to get paid? If it wasnt for the slugs, you would be in the normal lanes. DO NOT ask for money, do NOT complain if you can take 3, 4, or 6. If they are all going to the same location, GET IN! There is never a shortage of slugs and if there are, so what!? Thats how life is. Get over it, get on HOV at 9am, and get to work as best you can. Its that easy.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2006 at 10:21pm
Amen
quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
[br]Here is my conclusion.

Driver:

Has to fill up car (their choice on gas station, and grade of fuel)
Has to go to a slug line to pick up riders (their choice to do this)
Has made a decision to take people to work

Slug:

Has to fill up their car to drive to lot (their choice on gas station, and grade of fuel)
Has gone to a slug line to get picked up (their choice to do this)
Has made a decision to get taken to work by a stranger

HOW ON EARTH can a driver, who willingly goes to pick up people to get to work faster, DEMAND to get paid? If it wasnt for the slugs, you would be in the normal lanes. DO NOT ask for money, do NOT complain if you can take 3, 4, or 6. If they are all going to the same location, GET IN! There is never a shortage of slugs and if there are, so what!? Thats how life is. Get over it, get on HOV at 9am, and get to work as best you can. Its that easy.

Posted By: MSCUSN
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2006 at 9:27am
Well BigMike, I agree with everything except "if you can take 3, 4, or 6. If they are all going to the same location"; my vehicle will hold 5 people (4 riders and me), but I will take ONLY 3 (2 riders and myself, do not care how long the line is or what the weather is like.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2006 at 10:17am
If BM (nice initials, by the way) thinks there is never a shortage of slugs, he could learn something by stopping by the Horner Road 14th St. line anytime after 7:00, or the Rosslyn/Crystal City line at Potomac Mills. Many cars, few slugs.

Taking an extra person is simply a courtesy, not a requirement. But if you never ever take a third, then you are probably not going to heaven.

(Dante describes the torments of the perpetually selfish on the third plane of Hell: made to wear seatbelts in the backseat while listening to two frontseat demons debating hybrids. Kinda like this board.)

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2006 at 11:07am
I tried Horner road, it sucked, so I now go to the old Hechinger's lot.

WHICH, by the way, only had slugs to 18 & M, so I had to learn THAT part of town this morning.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2006 at 1:04pm
Horner is not good after 7:15 a.m. for drivers or riders. Seems to me the action picks up about then at Potomac Mills.

Except on Mondays and Fridays when there are still spaces for parking at 8:15.

What happens, though, is that when cars for 14th St. stack up, self-centered jerks cruise the back lots trying to scam up slugs rather than wait their turn in line or go to another lot.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2006 at 1:33pm
where is it at the mall? I live right behind potomac mills and it would be SOOO convenient to go there instead of down to tackett's.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:02pm
There are three lines (at least) on the south side of the main mall just to the east of the new cinema. approximately right in front of the Mall's main entrance. You'll see it pretty clearly. Please join us! There are plenty of parking spaces.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:05pm
oh no, I wouldnt be slugging, id be picking up. But since VAP and I have become regulars, I will more than likely only head over there on the days she dont go to work. I drop my girl off at that entrance everyday so look for me and give a wave!

Posted By: vapinky
Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:52pm
And by the way, I don't like to share my toys!!! LOL
[:)]

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:58pm
we had to share this morning! Although when you got out, she was saying she didnt really enjoy our convo. Hmmph. Next time I wont jump the curb to let her out just so she dont get hit by oncoming cars. Some are so unappreciative.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:00pm
She said WHAT?!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:02pm
I asked her "aint we a trip in the morning" she said "no, not really".

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:10pm
What an UNGRATEFUL #*%)*^#(&*$!#_!)+#!!!!!!

Why do slugs think you owe them something?!?!?!?! And I AM a slug!! I would NEVER EVER say something so rude. My parents raised me right!

You should've made her get out at 18th and walk the rest of the way. You don't have to take that!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:12pm
I didnt, and wont again. So if your bro aint there tomorrow, I say we head down to Hechinger's lot and get someone there. That way we can talk a little bit before gettin a slug. Ya know, about this board and stuff.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:17pm
AND another thing I don't understand....why did those 20 or so people (standing there waiting for a FREE ride) look at us stupid when we said 18th & H?!?!?!

I've never known a short walk to kill anyone first thing in the morning....UGH! PEOPLE!!!

But that sounds like a plan....Hechinger's it is!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:23pm
Sweet!

SO, if anyone is going to the area of 18th and E-H, or as far over as 9th and E, meet us at Hechinger's and look for the black cavalier. As VAP will tell you, its not hard to miss. Everything is black.

P.S. - Lets all say a prayer for VAP's brother since he is currently in the hospital right now.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:27pm
Thanks Mike! I'm doing a good job of pretending I'm ok....but I'm not.

You're the best!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:32pm
when there is no one left to turn to, you always have me.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:33pm
Stop it....you're gonna make me cry!

(but thank you again - that means alot)

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:52pm
Your gonna make the rest of us barf.

Please just start a thread titled- "BM and VAP's BS chat", and keep your convo's there? Yes, that would be wonderful. Oh and VAP, you don't need to come back with an attitude like b4, it's just getting ridiculous that the two of you are chatting about nothing on actual topics. I don't blame you, your passing the working day, but it's just pointless to the rest of us.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:54pm
*** There are currently 3067 topics ***

Cant you find something to post about in one of the 3066 others? :-)

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:56pm
Can't you stop flirting with a married women on an open SLUG TOPIC FORUM. Geeze! You two are just as bad as the idiots who post cell phone adds.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:57pm
cant you e-thug somewhere else? or is this board your prime choice? nobody asked you to click this topic, but you do AND reply for what reason?

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:58pm
No wonder no one can get along with you!! You are cold and heartless! My brother is in the hospital, with possible brain damage, and that is all you can say?
Did your parents ever teach you “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”???

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:00pm
ouch. thats tellin her.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:01pm
MISERABLE B****!!!!!

You wanna go down that road, you'll get your feelings hurt!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:01pm
Take your personal life and your personal conversation off the board. No one cares, really. It's a big ole heartless world and we all have our problems.

The inane and un-scintillating, lame and dull, and just plain boring chitchat between you two is better performed in private on an IM system, not a bulletin board.

(Jeez, what people will do to pump up their posting numbers!)

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:03pm
this is why there needs to be a mediator. Someone that everyone knows, and will respect. Cuz if it was me, I would say:

OK, everyone calm down. Obviously VAP is in an emotional state due to a family member in critical care. GMHP is upset due to the scope of the messages here. I think everyone should take a few deep breaths, and take a step back from the board for a few minutes. Then come back, and be open minded.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:05pm
Bob, neither one of us give a DAMN about that number below those stars, and couldnt care less if it got reset to 0 everytime. Its about chatting, and if this isnt a MESSAGE board, then maybe it should be cancelled altogether? You post a message, you get a response. I know most members are older and dont know how it works but believe me, this is EXACTLY how it works. Take it from someone who is now on over 30 message boards, and moderates or admins half of them!!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:08pm
Like I said this morning, if you don't want to read our conversation then DON'T!!!! You have to click on this post to see what's in it so obviously you are more interested than you let on.

I could give a crap about boosting my numbers!

I can only hope that none of you have to go through what I'm going through right now.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:14pm
VAP- I could care less about your personal problems, I dont know you, your not my friend, and this is the SLUGLINES thread, not "my brother is in the hospital so lets talk about my figure and salary" page.

If you want to resort to name calling, if I'm a miserable B****, then your a married skank who flirts in an open forum for some cheap attention with an internet freak.

BM- remember I was supportive of your rantings when you started here, but now your just to much. Are you proud or something to be an internet junky?

I have nothing else to say to you two nimrods.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:18pm
apparently you do, since no matter what is typed, your going to respond. But yet, im the internet junkie. And EVERY board I am on, is full of people I have met in real life. They are all car forums, that deal with racing of some sort. YOU may want to resort to name calling and self-esteem killing, thats your choice. BUT, your missing the overall picture. This is a MESSAGE board FOR slugging, or anything relating to it. DO NOT make me pull up old topics where people have not talked about slugging, cuz I will, I got time! I aint no beginner, its wise not to go head to head with me. I wont call names or e-thug you with threats, but I will prove my point.

Wouldnt it be better to just sit back, READ, and not post or click where you know the topic has gone astray?

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:21pm
WAH WAH WAH!! BOO HOO! You hurt my feelings...

You just said you don't know me but you've done nothing but pass judgment on me since I started using this message board.
I have one word for you: KARMA

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:36pm
maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I hate me some karma. happened to me once before, NOT pretty.

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 3:02pm
Aren't you scared, GMHP? I sure am!

Wow, imagine going head-to-head with the penetrating intellect of BigMike! I'm cowed just thinking about it. He is apparently famous for his internet prowess, too!

What I admire most about him is his modesty. It was typically humble of him to offer himself up to be the moderator of this board, based on his years of experience slugging and the high esteem in which we all hold him. Extra work for him, no doubt, but he was willing to accept the burden on our behalf. We owe him so much!

God bless him. God bless him every one!

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 3:09pm
See, that wasnt so hard now was it? lol

At least bob has a sense of humor.

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:29am
BM and Little pinky - the title of this posting WAS "Asking to take three?" not BM and Pinky's big adventure. It's hard to believe that you graduated from anything by your spelling and grammar.

Everyone is right - if you two want to carry on together then do it in private. No one is interested in anything about each other on this site unless it involves slugging or related topics.

And I don't understand why someone posts something and then immediately posts another sentence. It makes everyone assume that you ARE boosting your star count. I mean, really, you've been here for - what - four weeks? And look at how many senseless comments you've made off-topic? This has given you 319 posts and 5 stars. Hmmm...

You've also guessed correctly - we are older. That's evidenced by our more mature comments that are on-topic.

Please stick to the issues at hand.

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:32am
out of respect for the board, I will honor your request. Besides, I was told to respect my elders. lol

(JOKE!)

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:34am
You have the NERVE to comment on someone's spelling and grammar?!

"That's evidenced by are more mature comments that are on-topic"

Don't you mean "that is EVIDENT by OUR more mature comments...."

And I will say this again: who gives a crap about those stars and whatever it is they mean....just because you are older doesn't make you smarter, more mature OR better than me. THAT is evident!!!!

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:39am
SO, to get back on topic before pinky blows a gasket... We picked up a rider this am, she was a quiet girl, but for some odd reason, she chose one of the WORST places to get out to go to work. 20th and E, right after the underpass. Yall know that is a BAD place to ask to get let out.

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:40am
wait, that wasnt on topic.....but this is!

IF ANYONE NEEDS A RIDE TO 18th AND H, OR ANYWHERE AROUND THERE, PLEASE ADVISE!

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:42am
I can't stand it when people have the "holier than thou" attitude but use words completely out of context or misspell them! [:(!]

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:54am

I put that in as a test.

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 9:55am
HA! Yeah, right. Good try though...

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 10:10am
pinky, remember, when our new location gets set up, they are gonna miss us.

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 10:15am
Well hurry up....I am SO ready to go [:)]

Date Posted: 11 May 2006 at 10:23am
im hurrying, im hurrying. Its not me making it ya know, its just getting made by my buddy in CT.

Date Posted: 12 May 2006 at 9:30am
*ADMIN, PLEASE DELETE OR LOCK*

Posted By: mandoral66
Date Posted: 23 May 2006 at 4:23pm
122XXX - you my sire are WAY out of line. Shame on you! Grow up and get a life!

Mandoral

Posted By: sawyerr
Date Posted: 23 May 2006 at 4:40pm
This is one driver who definitely appreciates your decision. In the absense of adverse weather, I will only take two slugs so the next driver can mover as quickly as possible. I've spent many minutes in line after several drivers in front of me have taken 3 riders. Thanks for helping both lines to move quickly.

Posted By: savannahr1
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2006 at 3:49pm
I don't slug or drive to work anymore but when I did slug I never asked if somebody could take a third. I figured if they wanted a third they'd say it. I just waited my turn. Certainly don't feel obligated to take a third. It's your car, totally up to you how many you want to take. When I drove to work I didn't ask for a third because I didn't want too and don't like anybody sitting directly behind. Again, my car, my decision.

Posted By: Sticky Bandaid
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2006 at 12:08pm
ew

Posted By: pknapp6970
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 3:30pm
I used to drive a minivan and got sick of people asking if I would take an "extra" rider. On the way into work I will not take three because if traffic is a mess, then once I get into DC I have an "extra" stop to make which makes me even later to work. Now on the way home, I will take an extra since we are all going to one place.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 6:38pm
Take three if you can. [;)]
You just might make a new friend. [:)]
Worth the risk[?]

Posted By: lajamc3
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 8:43pm
I don't often use the sluglines on my way home, but have a handful of times. That's the only time I've been asked to take 3. If it's late, I say I don't mind if you don't mind (my car is not that big), but if the line is long and it's early, I will take 2 to leave help for the next driver. Love the slug lines!
L

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2006 at 7:29am
There is something to be said for NOT asking to "take 3". Asking sets up this whole guilt thing to happen that starts to spark in a subtle way the nagging feeling of guilt in drivers.

I've spoken to formers drivers in recent weeks about why they quit and the nagging of slugs looking for folks to take extra riders is one of the most common reasons folks quit picking up slugs. I'll not go into the whole list of other reasons offered (some very reasonable, others not quite so).

And before anyone starts bombing me, I'm just passing on what I've found from others who USED TO drive and no longer do. I know these people and they're fairly rational people...maybe more so than you and me.

NoSb

Posted By: AZ Man
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2006 at 11:16am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]There is something to be said for NOT asking to "take 3". Asking sets up this whole guilt thing to happen that starts to spark in a subtle way the nagging feeling of guilt in drivers.
I've spoken to formers drivers in recent weeks about why they quit and the nagging of slugs looking for folks to take extra riders is one of the most common reasons folks quit picking up slugs. I'll not go into the whole list of other reasons offered (some very reasonable, others not quite so).
And before anyone starts bombing me, I'm just passing on what I've found from others who USED TO drive and no longer do. I know these people and they're fairly rational people...maybe more so than you and me.
NoSb

No reason to "bomb" ya but when I'm first in line at the SLUG line I always ask the driver "where ya going?" and "How Many?" I think that's appropriate since most drivers (especially in the morning) are not in the "talkative" mood so want to be sure he/she is going in the correct destination and make it clear how many they want to take. If I get a destination and nothing on how many, I ASSume the minimum of 3 to a car rule (counting driver) and go. When I was driving I had no problem with someone asking if I would take a third if 1) it was inclement weather (I would offer to begin with), 2) it was late in the day nearing HOV nonexemption time, or 3) line was very long. I believe most drivers and SLUGs operate via this method and for the Route 3 line, it's usually a nice experience and it seems we all get along and move the line appropriately.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 12:10pm
AZ got it right; the first person in line needs to keep up their end and ask for a destination and the number of riders, then SHOUT it out to the rest of the line. Why would anyone object to these basic questions?

Posted By: LDOMAJ
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 1:36pm
By all means ask... I'm not offended and often will take the third since I have the larger vehicle. It was more difficult when I had the small car (limited leg space and only one place to hang my jacket).

If the driver doesn't want a third all they have to do is say no...

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 8:20am
Bump this topic up above the spam

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net