Print Page | Close Window

Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=268
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 1:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
Posted By: Admin
Subject: Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 9:03am
All 610 Commuters,
I received and email from the Rappahannock Area Development Commission asking for ideas from slugs on how to fix the problem with the 610 Lot. Here is what they said:

"Webmaster,
Because of the conditions which currently exist our organization, The
Rappahannock Area Development Commission, is working with others to
develop options that would be effective in assisting the commuters to meet their needs due to the recent reduction in available parking spaces along Prosperity Ln. and Staffordboro Blvd in the 610 Corridor of Stafford County."

So, if you have any ideas please post them here!

Replies:
Posted By: Matrix
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 10:12am
Just an idea -

I believe there should be an effort to spread the word by handing out flyers in the mornings and evenings at 610. A lot of people are either not aware or not able to access this web site. After there is a collection of ideas, I think that the Rappahannock Area Development Commission should host a meeting that is widely publicized and that all commuters can attend and vote.

In the interim, I don't think people who are just trying to get to work should be threatened by tickets or towing. It is not their fault that the parking lot built 10 years ago does not hold the capacity of commuter residents that exists today.

I don't know an answer that will work for everyone - but I do know that something needs to be done shortly because the situation is not getting any better. From what I understand the smaller lot off Staffordboro Blvd will be eliminated for the development of the new shopping center. The new spots that are to be added to the existing larger lot should be done so before the smaller lot is closed - also, there should be more than 150 spots added. In addition, it would be helpful if there is another outlet. The road past the school used to be open - why can it be open after school hours? Many of us arrive at the lot by 5:30 - 6:15 well after school activities.

Perhaps all DC Commuters could use one lot, and Pentagon & surrounding areas could use another lot. Another lot meaning Mine Rd.

For me the better solution would be to use 630. There is less traffic and it saves me 40-60mins of commuting time/day.

As for future plans, the lots should have direct access from I-95 (similar to the Horner Rd. lot off Prince William Pkwy) and they should have more than one outlet. Also, the lots need to be built and planned for future growth. I believe Stafford County is the 2nd fastest growing county in Virginia and I have heard there are some 17000 people that commute/day to the DC metro area from Stafford/Fredericksburg area.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 11:50am
I am not a 610 slug but have been following this discussion. One possibility that I see would be for the county to at least temporarily run an afternoon shuttle bus between 610 and Mine Road. Until more parking can be arranged or until new lines get established. Just a thought. How big is Mine Road lot?

Posted By: MarkJaws
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 8:55am
I have spoken to VDOT and they have given me in a laissez-faire manner the green light to organize and orchestrate an effort to use the Mine Road Slug Parking lot for Rosslyn Riders and Drivers. That way we will alleviate the crowding in the Staffordborough parking lot and avoid the double whammy spectre of (1) slugs having to cross 610 in the morning or evening and (2) drivers having to drop off slugs at both Staffordborough and Mine Road slug lots. I will put out fliers shortly. Any questions, comments, or suggestions, call Mark J at 540 657 4012 or 703 696 9490.

Posted By: Martys
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 9:40am
The move of one line to another parking lot is a good idea. Things seem to have calmed down since the article in Sunday's Free Lance Star concerning the 630 lot. However parking after 7:00am is a no-go.

It would seem that the NVa/Pentagon line would be more suited for the Mine Rd lot (more bodies and traffic). Either way, not everyone is going to be happy; someone will still complain!

Posted By: Patricia
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 9:41am
I've lived and commuted from/to Stafford for only 3 weeks and am already frustrated with the parking and traffic in and out of the 610 commuter lot. Being unfamiliar with the area, I'm sort of stuck with the 610 lot until I venture out to find another commuter lot. I agree with Matrix thoughts on this issue. The new spots that are to be added to the existing larger lot should be done so before any commuter parking spaces are taken away by shopping development. It is obvious that the 610 lot could be doubled in size and be fully utilized.

Another outlet from/to the old lot is an excellent idea. One similar to the Horner Road setup would be ideal. It appears that the 610 lot is close enough to the highway for this to be accomplished. If enough forethought is put into direct highway ramps before completion of the shopping center, then I believe it could be done.

Matrix brings up another good idea, The road that runs through Anne E. Moncure Elementary used to be open. This road could be used to lessen afternoon traffic exiting the commuter lot. It could be opened from 430pm and remain open until 730am Monday thru Friday. Inbound and outbound traffic could then use it and it wouldn't interfere with school hours. Perhaps contruction of a road that runs behind Anne E. Moncure Elem and connects to the access road in the new Doc Stone Shopping Plaza would be an option to ease traffic during the am and pm rush hours for those traveling west on 610.

The Mine Road lot is definitely under utilized. I have no problem getting to the lot in the am, but the pm is a totally differnt story. Access to this lot from Rt 610 is horrible for drivers and walkers in the pm. There is absolutely no merge time from the south bound 95 exit ramp to the turn lane for the Mine Road lot and the traffic is backed for the next light as well. This makes accessing the Mine Road lot too much of a hassel for most drivers. This lot could also have a direct access road from 95 with less construction than one for the old 610 commuter lot. I'm sure airial topography would show this. A crosswalk with signals at the 610/Staffordbourough intersection is a good idea. And sidewalks from one lot to the other would be nice too. There is an 'old lot' 'new lot' process used at the Tackett's Mill lots in Lake Ridge that works great. The walking distance between the two lots is much shorter, but with crosswalks, signals and sidewalks it's doable.

I've heard that buses will begin routing to the Mine Road lot, if this is true, that's a step in the right direction. Splitting the slug line is a good idea if the traffic patterns can be fixed to make Mine Road Lot access easier.

Patricia
Stafford/610

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 10:33am
That would be nice if they could build an exit ramp straight from
I-95 to the commuter lots but I don't think it's doable because there is going to be a huge shopping center going in all that open space there and I don't think they want a ramp going over their stores. Not to mention that Stafford County or VDOT for that matter doesn't seem to have enough money to do much of anything in regards to improving the roads and commuter lots in our area.

My suggestion two years ago was to build a parking garage structure rather than a standard commuter lot at the Staffordbourough site. I was told then that it was too expensive to do that, so that is when they built the Mine Road lot. I told them way back then that people would not want to use it because it is very hard to get to in the evenings but they built it anyways because that's where they had land to use and now hardly anyone utilizes it. In my opinion the Mine Road lot was a great big waste of money.

Opening up the school road is a bad idea because there are still after school activities that take place and it would make for a dangerous situation and an insurance liability for the school. Also, they are experiencing major back-ups coming out of the Doc Stone shopping center there since they built that new Giant Foods store. My current suggestion would be to open that road that connects to Prosperity Lane. There is already a light there but they just need to do a little construction and open the road there. That could also be a possibility about where to put the crosswalk at since it is the road that leads right to the Mine Road lot.

Of course if the Stafford County Board of Supervisors would do what they said they would do, they would slow the sprawl on Route 610 and make the developers pay proffers to improve the roads, schools, and emergency services.

Tisa Shillingburg

Posted By: DC_Slugger
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 11:30am
To all 610 sluggers.

Everyone should sit back and look at this situation. It's not that bad, it just takes motivation.
The 610 lot (behind McDonalds) has 721 parking spaces. The Mine Rd. lot has 770 parking spaces. Between these two lots we have more than enough spaces for all the commuters in Stafford. Now out of the few times I have slugged from this lot out of everyone's mouth I have heard, "Wow, this is so much more convienant". Yeah you might think it will be difficult in the evenings, but have you tried it? There are two entrances and exits and frankly I get home a lot faster. Now there is a problem with being dropped off in either or both of the lots, but generally someone in the car with you will take you over to the Mine Rd. lot.
Now I am sure it will improve over time, once people stop complaing and start trying it. So far the DC sluggers have been the only ones in the Mine Rd. lot. If that is the way we have to leave it, fine. Most of us have not had a problem getting to work. In fact, it's easier. Yesterday morning I got there at 7:15 and within 5 minutes I had a ride to DC.
The only way this "Problem" is ever going to be worked out is if people keep an open mind and just stop being afraid to try something new.
Check out the Mine Rd. lot. You might find that it's a better way to get to work.
The roads and the lots are not going to change just because a few people can't get to work or don't like the situation....so take matters into your own hands and if you can't find a parking spot at the 610 lot...instead of taking the risk of being ticketed or towed...why don't you drive over to the Mine Rd lot, park (because there is always parking) and wait for a ride like everyone else does. If all the people are standing in that lot....than all the drivers will follow.

Think!

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 11:56am
Actually, yes I have tried it because I lived back there and had to do it every day but by no means was it a pleasant experience. Making a left turn whether it be at the first or second light, is not easy. Nothing about driving on Route 610 is convenient or easy. That's why I choose to slug from Route 630. It saves me time and aggravation.

Tisa Shillingburg

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 12:06pm
quote:

I have spoken to VDOT and they have given me in a laissez-faire manner the green light to organize and orchestrate an effort to use the Mine Road Slug Parking lot for Rosslyn Riders and Drivers. That way we will alleviate the crowding in the Staffordborough parking lot and avoid the double whammy spectre of (1) slugs having to cross 610 in the morning or evening and (2) drivers having to drop off slugs at both Staffordborough and Mine Road slug lots. I will put out fliers shortly. Any questions, comments, or suggestions, call Mark J at 540 657 4012 or 703 696 9490.

Oh great. Now we have another guy trying to move a line. There is nothing wrong with the Rosslyn line so leave it alone. If you have a problem try to find a solution that doesn't involve destroying an existing line that works for hundreds of people. Try to create a new line rather than moving one. Did you try the 630 line? Did it work for you? Why do you think moving the Rosslyn line is a good idea?

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 12:11pm
quote:

The move of one line to another parking lot is a good idea. Things seem to have calmed down since the article in Sunday's Free Lance Star concerning the 630 lot. However parking after 7:00am is a no-go.

It would seem that the NVa/Pentagon line would be more suited for the Mine Rd lot (more bodies and traffic). Either way, not everyone is going to be happy; someone will still complain!

Marty, the NVa/Pentagon line is perfectly suited right where it is. That's why it is so successful! There is no need to "move" it. Just leave it alone. If you arrive too late to get a parking space then you need to find another solution that doesn't involve "fixing what ain't broke". YOU need to change what YOU do - several hundred other people don't need to change what THEY are doing simply to suit YOUR needs. Have you tried 630? How did it work for you?

Edited by - mycroftt on 08 Oct 2002 12:13:01

Posted By: garypash
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 8:23pm
Moving of the slug lines over to the south 610 lot is being tried by various sluggers. I hope it works;The Stafford BOS has talked the bus lines to have the last bus of the morning (7:15am) go to the Southern lot to help get it off the ground.
Although creating a shuttle between the lots was considered, I was unable to get full support of the BOS, as some were unconvinced that it was an emergency situation. We are scheduled to consider the running of a FRED bus along the 610 corridor and tying a shuttle between the lots into it. This is supposed to be discussed at the next Board Meeting on 15 October, if you can get any e-mail to the various Supervisors it may be helpful.
In addition I had a meeting with VDOT at the North lot yesterday and they will be adjusting the traffic patterns in the lot to provide about 50 additional spaces. This should be completed in the next few weeks.

I will do all I can to ease the trip to and from Washington.

I will be having a Town Hall meeting October 28, 7pm at North Stafford High School. I hope you can attend.

GaryPash
gpash@co.stafford.va.us

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 12:05pm
Gary,
Thanks for your support on this issue. It is obvious you are engaged into solving this problem.

I have posted your Town Hall meeting on the new community Events Calendar. Hopefully that will help spread the word.

Posted By: peedee87
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 1:25pm
I like that we are working find a great solution. I appreciate the Rappahannock Area Development Commission for asking us for ideas on how to fix the problem.

I don't mind parking at the lot that is most convenient for me...in other words, when I am early I'll go to the Staffordsborough location and when its full I'll go to the Mine Road location. I don't mind walking between the two lots in the evening. I would, however, like to see more accomodations for pedestrian (foot) traffic that would make it a little safer. Also, I suggest additional patrols by local law enforcement would help after daylight savings time change for those who will be walking in the dark. This would be helpful as an interim solution, until a more permanent and feasible solution is found.

Although I don't mind walking between the 2 lots, I realize that is not a good solution for everyone. I look forward to reading ideas from other people that would make that walk unnecessary.

Trish

P.S. Don't kill me, but I'd be willing to pay a dollar for parking or have special parking for residents with "Stafford stickers," although I am not a Stafford resident.

Trish

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 1:41pm
1. I'd also be willing to pay for parking or an area shuttle bus (especially if they'll accept MetroChecks).

2. I'd also like to see accomidations for pedestrian traffic crossing 610.

3. A second entrance/exit for the Staffordborough lot that preferrably heads west towards the Doc Stone area.

4. Would a better option be to do like someone did at one of the commutter lots farther North on I95 - there's a very large lot that looks like it has multiple exits/entrances and direct access to the HOV lanes.

Posted By: Christine
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 2:21pm
I have been reading the replies that have been posted regarding the problems with the 610 lot (north lot). I am new to the Stafford area but commuted from Prince William for over 4 years. Initially, I was going to the 610 north lot and found it very stressful and frustrating just trying to park my car. For those of you who get there before 7:00am, I guess you aren't experiencing any of this. I am now slugging from the Mine Road (have been for a week now) and it has been a breeze. There is PLENTY of parking and drivers are picking up for all areas (not only downtown D.C.). Additionally, I have been returning to that lot in the evening and merging to the left lanes with no problem. It just takes a few minutes to merge in, but I will say from the ramp it is not realistic trying to make the first left. Trying to merge left to take a left onto Mine Road is much easier. Also, if merging from the ramp seems too difficult, you can exit off of 95 South to Route 1 and then enter the left lane with ease. Each evening I have saved at least 15 minutes of my time by just not having to sit in all that traffic trying to get out of the 610 north lot. I realize that this might be a change for all of you, but it does work. I think the idea was initially to only move the Downtown D.C. slug line to the Mine Road lot, that way there would be plenty of parking at both lots to accommodate all commuters. The fact that the buses are going to both lots now is an added bonus. At the Pentagon, my suggestion would be to have another sign established for 610 Mine Road. I've heard that some people have experienced problems with the ride home. It has been my experience in Prince William that, despite all efforts of commuters, lots are never built to hold enough cars and talk about changing roads, entrances and ramps just doesn't happen overnight (if at all). I think the majority of us just want a safe place to park, get to and from work and keep the commute easy. There are plenty of other more important things to worry about in life, this shouldn't be one of them.

cfw

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 2:23pm
Peedee87 you always say what I feel. It's great ;).

I think a parking garage would be a good idea as well, but realize that might be a few thousand more years.

I definitely would like to see more accomodations made for people on foot between the two lots and/or bus. I don't mind walking as long as I don't feel I am going to die trying to cross the street. I actually would like it. Everyone needs a little excercise. Either way there would need to be some sort of security put in place and crosswalks etc.

Staffordborough definitely needs to have another exit.

I would also like to see some plans of HOV entrances/exits that might be planned for the future from the commuter lots themselves.

Think!

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 2:58pm
Thanks DC_Slugger...in fact I agree with You! the parking garage is an excellent idea.

I truly believe that there is a way to make lemonade out of lemons. In fact, this could be a great business opportunity for a developer in terms of a cross walk or directing the foot traffic. Creating a safe environment for us all, and perhaps a little profit for the business owner.

What if a local business decided to sponsor the garage or our commuting situation in general. In exchange for real estate from the county, the business owner builds the garage and puts a coffee shop nearby??? I am stretching I know, but I am trying to think of a way to turn the foot traffic into profits, that could motivate a business person to take an interest and be a financial partner on the issue. For example, how many times have you stood and line and wished that you had a cup of coffee or something to nibble on? Or that you get off from work and maybe want to spend a few extra minutes chatting with a new friend that you've just met slugging/want to wait for traffic to ease before attempting to leave the lot. I don't know. I just feel that if there was a way that we could patronize a business in exchange for something that could help with easing the congestion or accomodating parking it would be great.

I am really brainstorming here, so I am taking a stab at anything.

Trish

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 3:20pm
EVERYDAY! I stand there and say...man if only I had a cup of coffee. Or if I bring coffee...if only there were a trash can here. That really is a great idea. Now to find a business person to take over...that's the real effort. ;)

I think you are on the right track, but getting it implemented is a whole other story.

I don't think the crossing of the street would be so bad if there were cross walks with indicators and crossing guards. There are so many towns (take DC for instance when crossing Constitution or something like that) that it's not even thought about as anything more than crossing a street to get where you are going. There is nothing wrong with it and I actually think it would make the area a bit nicer.

Are you going to the City Hall meeting?

Think!

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 3:39pm
I suggested the idea of the parking garage to the Stafford Board of Supervisors (BoS) about two years ago when we had the towing incident at the 610 lot. I went to many of the BoS meetings along with several others who had been towed to try and give them some ideas of what would be helpful to us commuters. What I found at that time was a lack of cooperation from the Stafford BoS because if it involves money out of the county's pocket, they don't have any to spare. I was told that a parking garage was too expensive. I do believe that it is a great idea if we could convince a business owner to help out (especially a coffee shop)!!

It would also be helpful to have a crosswalk at the Mine Road/Staffordborough intersection but since there are cars going in all directions, I am still not convinced it is safe. Don't hold your breath about a policeman standing there directing traffic. The county is short on funds, as is evident by the inability to pay the teachers fairly.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 3:44pm
The county is short on funds, but if a business could get involved it would be a great idea. And what better than a coffee shop? Although, I feel like I am dreaming when I even say coffee shop in a commuter lot....but it would be pretty neat. :)

Think!

Posted By: 610slug
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 4:15pm
Garrett construction sure has a bunch of money...

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 4:25pm
What about a walking bridge that goes OVER 610 (say between the mall they're puttin in and the 7-11 across from it)?

Posted By: Patricia
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2002 at 8:30am
Starbucks has a lot of money too! Maybe we could talk to them about putting a store on 610... Now you've got me dreaming! I'm sure if you got to the right person with these idea's someone would bite. I'm new to the area and am still astonished at the number of people that cross through the 610 lot alone going to and from work. It's a gold mine ready to be struck for any savy business person. The $$$ are definitely there.

Patricia
Stafford/610

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2002 at 8:51am
Well who do you go to with these ideas? I mean it would be wonderful if it happened, but who actually has to make it happen?

Think!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 11:46am
These may be some good ideas to pass on to Gary Pash at his upcoming Town Hall meeting.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 12:17pm
I believe that Gary Pash or a representative from Rappahanock Area Development Commission is planning to monitor this topic and that it was set up for us to brainstorm and provide ideas and suggestions.

I know that I wasn't being realistic when I suggested what I did, but you have to put it out there on the chance that it may be taken serious.

I believe that our situation will resolve itself. It kinda already has. Those that arrive early continue to do business as usual in the old lot (Staffordsborough) and those who are 6:30 a.m. and later go to the new. The biggest unresolved issue is the rules for return/drop off. Are drivers expected to go to both lots? Are slugs expected to walk from the old lot to the new? What type of signs will be posted at the Pentagon to distinguish the two lots if any? What type of security measure will be put in place to ensure the pedestrian safety? What type of traffic patterns will be set to accomodate the increased traffic?

Trish

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 12:42pm
I agree with you. It does seem to have already worked itself out and is working really well.

The issues on getting between the two lots need to be worked out, but I have not had any problems yet. I think we just need to ask drivers before we get in their cars if they are going to the Mine road or 610 lots.

Maybe if we get together at the meeting we can collaborate. I think some sort of walkway would be nice.

Think!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2002 at 4:24pm
I have a new flyer stating that Mine road is not the "Relocated" slug line, but the "New" slug line for when the Old 610 lot fills up.

If you would like a copy of it, please email me at Kwest@cwa-union.org

Thanks!

Have a great weekend...with an extended day I am sure we all will.

Think!

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2002 at 7:41am
All good ideas.....however does anybody thing that Stafford county will come up withthe money to support a parking garage? Even if they did, and after the tax increase and a lengthly study we are still looking at 10 years!! The idea of private business is an excellent one but I think that parking would then become a $ issue for the folks that park there. Hopefully a great idea will pop up soon!

Posted By: msgeminius
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 3:36pm
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!!!

quote:

To all 610 sluggers.

Everyone should sit back and look at this situation. It's not that bad, it just takes motivation.
The 610 lot (behind McDonalds) has 721 parking spaces. The Mine Rd. lot has 770 parking spaces. Between these two lots we have more than enough spaces for all the commuters in Stafford. Now out of the few times I have slugged from this lot out of everyone's mouth I have heard, "Wow, this is so much more convienant". Yeah you might think it will be difficult in the evenings, but have you tried it? There are two entrances and exits and frankly I get home a lot faster. Now there is a problem with being dropped off in either or both of the lots, but generally someone in the car with you will take you over to the Mine Rd. lot.
Now I am sure it will improve over time, once people stop complaing and start trying it. So far the DC sluggers have been the only ones in the Mine Rd. lot. If that is the way we have to leave it, fine. Most of us have not had a problem getting to work. In fact, it's easier. Yesterday morning I got there at 7:15 and within 5 minutes I had a ride to DC.
The only way this "Problem" is ever going to be worked out is if people keep an open mind and just stop being afraid to try something new.
Check out the Mine Rd. lot. You might find that it's a better way to get to work.
The roads and the lots are not going to change just because a few people can't get to work or don't like the situation....so take matters into your own hands and if you can't find a parking spot at the 610 lot...instead of taking the risk of being ticketed or towed...why don't you drive over to the Mine Rd lot, park (because there is always parking) and wait for a ride like everyone else does. If all the people are standing in that lot....than all the drivers will follow.

Think!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 3:54pm
I'd would tend to agree that we presently have about enough parking spots AT THE PRESENT TIME. But what about 2-3+ years in the future, when they have finished Augustine, Amy Clay, Apple Grove, and whatever other subdivisions they're currently working on out on West 610? Now is the time to plan ahead! I myself would be winning to pay a buck a day to park in a 2000 car garage. Why couldn't the County BOS or some ask the developers putting in the mall if they'd be willing to build a pay garage under their own parking lot, or as part of it, for the commuters? the answer just may surprise us. Even $2/day would only be about $40 a month (still cheaper than driving or the metro or the bus ...). If 1000 cars park there every business day, we'd be talking $20-$40K minimum per month income for the garage.

Just thinking...

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2002 at 11:14am
What ever happen to this? Did the Rappahannock Commision take a look at our advice?

Posted By: Debby
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2002 at 4:50pm
If they are taking away the shuttle for good, I think the late commuters (drivers and slugs) might as well go to the new lot, like beginning at 7 or 7:15 am. I have no idea about getting to the new lot at night, in the dark, safely, unless the driver is kind and will take you there. Or, the move of Rosslyn/Pent/CC to the new lot would be good.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 11:10am
It's quite obvious that the Planning Commission, Board of Supervisors, etc. are not going to be able to do anything to help the adverse parking/traffic situation on Route 610. The Mine Road lot is spacious but it's location makes it a bad option for alot of people. Especially now that it gets dark earlier and the weather has been wet and cold. Noone I know wants to try to cross 610 and there is no guarantee that your drivers are going to take you to the new lot on Mine Road especially since it is very hard to merge over to the left lanes in gridlocked traffic (even if you use the second light).

A great solution for many of us will be to start using the Route 630 commuter lot on Dec. 2nd. My slug buddies and I have been slugging from there for a month and a half and we love it!! It is so easy to get in/out of and it saves us alot of our valuable time. If you are a driver or a rider and would like to join us on Dec. 2nd, please respond to Matrix's Route 630 poll or email her at rachelkorinek@msn.com or korinek@rand.org. That will in turn help the 610 folks who feel it is more convenient to slug from there because it will free up some parking spaces for you if we get a good balance between the two lots. So if you live further south of Route 610 and want a better option, please join us at the Route 630 commuter lot on Dec. 2nd and don't forget to participate in the poll!!

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 12:08pm
Anybody know what came out of the 5 Nov Stafford Board of Supervisors Meeting[?] I wasn't able to make the meeting.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 1:07pm
All I know is that the shuttle bus was eliminated. You can contact the BOS administration for meeting notes.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 2:19pm
There you go again Shelly!

Posted By: crystalslug
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 2:39pm
Spoke with Gary Pash on Thursday (7 Nov). He indicated that the traffic situation for the PM rush at 610 will be greatly helped by the new exit which will be built as part of the new mall. Mine road will have its own traffic flow separate from westbound 610. This is scheduled to take affect summer 03. The bigger picture for the two lot situation on 610 will be left to the drivers and slugs which have always found solutions to problems in the past. The mine road lot will prosper for those whom it serves best just as the current 610 lot has prospered for its users. I utilize the mine road lot (with no problems AM or PM) and other users numbers are growing every week. As the county grows, so will the usage of all three Stafford lots.

crystalslug

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 2:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by peedee87
[br]There you go again Shelly!

Actually it's Shelby not Shelly and I feel that educating people of all of their options and the pros/cons of each is the purpose of this website.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 3:39pm
I have been using the Mine Rd. lot since the closing of Properity Lane and have had absolutely no problems AM or PM. I only used the shuttle bus 2 times since they ran it...and only for the purpose of giving it more riders. Generally drivers were more willing to go to Mine road than the Old 610 lot. I will continue to use Mine Rd without the shuttle bus because I don't think that getting a ride will be difficult...it wasn't before the shuttle bus...it won't be after.

Think!

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 3:43pm
When I attended the Stafford Town Hall meeting last month, only a handful of people came. When the BOS, unveiled their plan regarding Route 610 everyone agreed that it was not a good solution. They intend to put another traffic light on Route 610 and a traffic light off the exit ramp from I-95S traffic. This is only going to back up traffic to Route 1 and even further onto I-95. What are the vdot engineers smoking? To top it off, the BOS said that their "solution" is only good for 3-4 years. I'm sorry... whoever is in charge of the plans regarding the road system in Stafford County is not doing their job. When the shopping center right off the 610 exit is complete, traffic is going to be even worse.

First of all, there should not be two commuter lots off of 610. There should be only one and it should house at least 1500-2000 cars. Even better, have a ramp go directly into the lot. Unfortunately, our BOS don't plan for the future. I see the attempt to start the shuttle bus as a cover to make some people think "they care". If they care so much, why aren't they more widely publicizing their town hall meetings? What would it cost for them to put up a banner publicizing the town hall meetings? Last week I had to slug from 610, everyday I spoke to my fellow slugs and drivers about the town hall meetings - no one even knew they existed, many said they would have like to have gone, and many admitted that they are fed up with the congestion on 610 and poor planning for the commuter parking lots.

Did anyone see the article in yesterday's paper titled "Stafford shuttle scrapped?" In it Gary Pash, BOS, suggests that all slugs should move to the Mine Road lot. The fact of the matter is that while there some people willing to move to the Mine Road lot, many are not.

When exiting I-95S, gridlock already exists on Route 610. Can you imagine how worse it would be if the several hundred of cars, returning home in the evening, attempt to make that first or second left to the Mine Road lot? My time and my life are more valuable than that.

In regards to 610 versus 630, I use both. It just so happens that 630 is only 2 miles south of 610; they are not galaxies apart. I am a concerned Stafford County Resident and slug. Any suggestions concerning the 630 lot is intended to ease the congestion at 610.

If you are concerned about the future of the Mine Road, 610, or 630 lots I invite you to attend the next Stafford Board of Supervisors' meeting. In fact, maybe you would like to get the word out - that is what I have been doing the last month and a half.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 4:20pm
Thanks Matrix for hitting the nail on the head!! I totally agree with you. Educating people about all of their options is the way to go because it will only help to alleviate some of the congestion at the parking lots on 610. Obviously the people who find 610 more convenient should continue to go there but there are a lot of people who do not find it more convenient and who deserve to know that there are other options available to them. Kudos to Matrix because she does care about the current situation and she proves this by attending the scheduled meetings.

Posted By: Slugster
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2002 at 7:47pm
Just wanted to let people know that there is some new discussion on splitting the lines at 610, under the "Proposed New Slug Line Locations" forum. Please take a look and give us your thoughts!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net