Print Page | Close Window

Buckle up please

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2743
Printed Date: 20 May 2024 at 7:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Buckle up please
Posted By: gmugrad
Subject: Buckle up please
Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 2:19pm
To the person this morning who didn't want to wear the seat belt, I am sorry but next time I won't offer you a ride. Everyday I have to remind people to buckle up. Yes I admit that I will unclick my belt when I pick up riders so that the alarm goes off and I say oh everyone must buckle. That usually gets them.

If god forbid there is an accident I don't want worry about the what if you were buckled.

Also the papers in the pocket behind the driver are not their for your reading pleasures. Please don't touch things that aren't yours.

Replies:
Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 22 May 2006 at 4:04pm
Why didn't you tell that person this personally?

Posted By: Oosik
Date Posted: 23 May 2006 at 8:51am
I looked at the rules and etiquette page and it does note that both drivers and passengers should buckle up.

As for me, I think passengers should be able to decide if they want to wear seatbelts or not. If they don't want to use seatbelts I'm sure some other driver will give them a ride because I get to decide who I take in my car and who gets coverage under my auto insurance.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 24 May 2006 at 10:36am
quote:
Originally posted by Oosik
[br]I looked at the rules and etiquette page and it does note that both drivers and passengers should buckle up.

As for me, I think passengers should be able to decide if they want to wear seatbelts or not. If they don't want to use seatbelts I'm sure some other driver will give them a ride because I get to decide who I take in my car and who gets coverage under my auto insurance.

Wrong, everyone should buckle up, period!

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 24 May 2006 at 12:27pm
for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't buckle up. it's the one thing that save my wife's life and mine years back. seen it with others.

there's just no good reason not to. in this case the data don't lie.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 24 May 2006 at 6:41pm
All anyone has to do is watch the video of a car sideswiped on the highway that ended up rolling, repeatedly, and the driver of that car survived because she was wearing a seatbelt. That hit the pavement I guess yesterday and the news this morning. Point is that the driver survived and it wasn't her fault that the accident took place. Too many drivers think they are so skilled that they wont have to deal with the knuckleheads out there who can cause an accident in a split second.

Scottt, apparantly you didn't appreciate my humor. EVERYONE in my car wears a seatbelt or they get out. If a passenger doesn't like my rules, they can find another free ride because it wont be in my car.

Posted By: SlugsB1tch2Much
Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 3:27am
I like Darwin's theory of natural selection. Let the dumbass get hurt or killed, who cares, its their choice after all is it not?

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 10:07am
(Another misunderstanding of what Darwin wrote, but we'll ignore that.)

Let's explain something: seat belts keep people from bouncing into EACH OTHER, as much as they keep people from being thrown out of windows.

Take 150 pounds of sand in three bags, add several hundred hard stick-like objects, soak with water, place in seat beside you.

Now, roll your car.

Like the feeling of those hard, heavy, sharp objects whacking into you at high speed? No?

Well, that is essentially why you need to make even the backseat passengers wear seat belts. It's for YOUR OWN safety. A purely Ayn Randian approach.

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 10:52am
Who is John Galt?

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 12:17pm
John Galt is that unattractive bulge in the back pocket of every bourgeois, sandal-wearing, no-shaving, slouching, uncombed, spotty-faced sophomore liberal arts major. At least, Galt is there for about 6-10 weeks as the budding intel-egg-tual grapples with and eventually solves the inherent contradictions of the Objectivist pseudo-cult philosophy.

(Not that you really asked for my opinion [:D].)

Now, back to seat belts, everyone!

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 1:19pm
ok...seatbelts..

I wear mine in the front seat, no problem. I usual wont in the back (especially when I am half asleep in the mornings and can only think about the nap I am about to encounter)unless the driver seems to be a little.."wild" on the road, if the driver requests a seatbelt, or if the car is a wee bit out of date.

slugging is free, keep it that way, down with SOV ON HOV!! :')

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 1:29pm
Very nice answer SpongeBob. GHMP, please keep up not wearing your seatbelt in the back, if you ever get in a white civic hybrid, which i highly doubt because I know what you look like and will avoid you at all costs, don't worry about buckling up.

Posted By: Moody Girl
Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 1:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by SlugsB1tch2Much
[br]Very nice answer SpongeBob. GHMP, please keep up not wearing your seatbelt in the back, if you ever get in a white civic hybrid, which i highly doubt because I know what you look like and will avoid you at all costs, don't worry about buckling up.

B2M,
That was a very nasty thing to say! Didn't your mom teach you that "If you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all"[?]

Maybe, instead of your wife having you by the balls, she should wash your mouth out with soap, teach you some manners and keep you on a tighter leash! [:(!]

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 2:18pm
Sounds good to me!

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 2:41pm
Aw Mom! If all we can say is nice stuff to each other, then life's gonna get really really boring around here.

Ahem.

SB2M, you don't want an unstoppable missile in your car, do you? That missile could end up planted in your back.

(I don't know if it still exists, but there was a site called "When Meat Meets Metal" years ago that had graphic post-wreck pictures of humans in multiple pieces, sometimes sticking through each other. [xx(])

If you're in a car with the Sponge, he'll Bitch2Much until you buckle up. Sponge is compressible only to a point.

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 2:46pm
Thanks MG.

SB2M, it's truly uncanny how you sound like that MIA fool 124654654.....are you a split personality? Maybe you thought you could come back with this screen name and see if you can "win" round two with me, since that "Oprah U" comeback was more than lacking in intelligent thought. Or, maybe it's just as simple an answer that you're not 12345676 at all, but overcompensating for something you lack by picking on women anonymously on an online message board? Hell, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all of the above was the truth.

Haven't you noticed that more than one member here has told you to stop ridding the boards with your negative nonsense? Take a hint, play nice or piss off.

I play nice until I am provoked.

How the hell would you know what I look like if you don't drive 610?

Get over yourself already and stop trying to pick fights.

Date Posted: 25 May 2006 at 3:20pm
Oh trust me, I've been slugging a lot longer you think I have and one of the tips this website should give should be: "avoid GHMP." "I play nice until I am provoked" --either way, it doesn't matter idiot, you have now stated the intent to not play nice, so why don't you take your own advice and "piss off" otherwise, i'd like to say, way to play on level field.

Date Posted: 26 May 2006 at 12:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]ok...seatbelts..

I wear mine in the front seat, no problem. I usual wont in the back (especially when I am half asleep in the mornings and can only think about the nap I am about to encounter)unless the driver seems to be a little.."wild" on the road, if the driver requests a seatbelt, or if the car is a wee bit out of date.

People who don't wear their seatbelts don't have a brain cell in their skulls, plain and simple.

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 28 May 2006 at 7:30am
Only had this problem once. Slug told me she didn't have to buckle up in the back seat. I pulled to the side of the road and told her to buckle up or get out. She buckled, and has rode with me since without incident.

Did the same thing with a cell phone user. He couldn't believe anyone would dare speak to him like that, but he did turn the cell phone off.

Slugs are hitch hikers - why be overly polite? One or two get left on the side of the road, and the message gets around.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 28 May 2006 at 3:06pm
8675309 or whatever - while I don't agree with your tip jar, you're absolutely spot on about telling people to buckle up or turn their cell phones off.

Buckling up is just common (?) sense; I'm amazed someone would tell you they didn't have to. You should have kicked them out on principle.

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:18pm
Seatbelts are the choice of the driver and the passenger. If the driver requests you to, you should out of respect for the driver. That doesnt mean that the slugs "don't have a brain cell in their skulls". I dont agree with you Scottt.

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 3:17pm
Seatbelts are not a "choice of the driver and the passenger," they are a required safety apparatus for (per Va. law) all passengers in the front seats of all vehicles at all times.

They are required of all <17 y.o. passengers, no matter where they are sitting. Per Va. law.

But an adult choosing not to wear a seatbelt in the backseat is not against any Virginia law. It is only against the law of averages and the rule of common sense.

Why NOT wear one? Too fat? Too lazy? Too uneducated? Too superstitious? Too stupid? These are the only known root causes for non-seatbelt-wearing.

Good lord, as injury-prone as all you knobby vertebrates are, I'd have thought you would WELCOME a way to keep yourselves from banging around inside a car.

(A Sponge on crusade is not a pretty sight.)

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 3:40pm
I knew someone who wasn't wearing a seatbelt, got into a horrific accident, and was TOLD by the EMT that if they HAD been wearing their seatbelt, they would have died.

Common sense is to buckle up, but not all do. We all (or most of us) know the LAW about front seat belts and children wearing a belt/car seat. It doesnt mean we all CHOOSE to follow it.

My point was that it is not only LAW to wear a belt in the front as well as a choice in the back, but a respect to the driver to not argue the point. And if you REALLY are against wearing a belt, the driver/slug BOTH have the right to not ride together.

Can we ALL drop the argumentative attitudes and attempt to conversate without going insult for insult?

Drive safe this afternoon, belt or no belt. SHEESH.

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:36am
To the slugging community:
This is exactly why I think GMHP is an IDIOT. First off, I like the choice of weasel words "I knew someone..." Who is the someone? Since you've demonstrated you're insane it's probably the voices in your head. Your someone who knew someone (the EMT right?) line isn't going to work for people who have half a brain. You probably don't know, but an EMT's function is to respond to emergency related trauma, not give advice on the safety of buckling up. They are NOT considered experts in the field of biophysics and medicine, what they do is an OCCUPATION not a PROFESSION. Why don't you do some research yourself (impress us all and actually CITE your SOURCE) on what the difference is. Please don't insult our intelligence with your weasel words.

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 8:55am
GMHP, unfortunately, I did not get to know one young lady -- she was a fatality in one of the first cases I handled as an attorney. She was a passenger in a pickup truck that went off the road in a low speed accident. The truck flipped over and she was flung out the door and was crushed. I still remember the bloodly slobber that was oozing from her mouth in a cold October morning and her sweater was pulled away just revealing her in a bra. I somehow always thought that it would have mortified her to know all the crime scene photos of her accident. The young man involved in the accident was crushed emotionally and had to go through criminal proceedings. I have often thought about that young woman when I would consider whether I "really" needed to wear a seatbelt for a short distance. I always end up putting on the seatbelt.

The real idiots are the drivers who don't enforce the rules in THEIR vehicle. Make slugs buckle up or find another ride. Its the driver that will face steep insurance policy increases and maybe criminal charges if there is a vehicle accident resulting in injury. You really have to be an idiot to let people in your car, who you don't even know, who you would knowingly allow to expose you to such risks. Buckle up!

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 8:56am
SB2M-your an a$$hole. I said "they" to keep it private.

My husband got into an accident when he was 11 with his mom, aunt, sister and brother. He broke his leg. His mother broke her nose and lost teeth, his aunt broke her back. His brother and sister survived with minor cuts and bruises. IF he had been wearing a seatbelt, HE WOULD HAVE DIED. That is what the EMT told him at the scene.

You are a poor excuse for a human being. Your such a big shot demeaning someone you don't even know, but go about acting the high and mighty root posting offensive comments about wishing me being plunged to my death? What is wrong with you?

I asked on more than one thread for this behavior to stop. Take the hint.

Why don't you do this, since you SAY you know who I am, lets make it even. Send me an email with the make, model and color of your car. Right along with your license plate number, and what you look like. That way I can avoid you at all costs. The same goes for 1225whatever.

If you have a real pair of balls- you'll BOTH post all of your information here, in an open forum that you both seem to love to use to verbally abuse a total stranger for some cheap thrills.

I wrote prior posts to stick up for myself, as I don't believe in letting myself be bullied. Now you are going to far.

My apologies to the rest of the slug community for my behavior.

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 10:45am
getmehomepweeze,

Why would he have died?

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 11:07am
They were rear ended while stopped at a light. He was in the back seat between his sister and brother (his brother was in a car seat), something about the rear impact would have strangled him. We don't talk about it much. I've seen the pictures of the car and they are all lucky to be alive. It happened many years ago.

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 12:53pm
That is the biggest load of horsecrap ever unloaded on this site. Only an idiot would believe what you've written. Strangled? That choking sound is my stifled laughter.

Rear-ended hard enough to strangle him but somehow not hard enough to harm him when he hit the back of the front seats. Hmm. Now if the car was so badly damaged its mere pictures give you the shivers, it must have been a pretty bad wreck.

Oh please! I can't even go on!

Jeeze, do you think we're a bagful of idiots? (my choice of term, btw)

BUCKLE UP! EVERY TIME! EVERYWHERE! EVERYONE!

Your stupid urban myths about ever, EVER, being safer unbelted, deserve nothing but scathing ridicule, which is what I hereby dump on your sad story.
[V]

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 1:18pm
In a rare move, I'm not only posting on something not related to hybrid bashing, and even more rare, I agree with the Sponge.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 1:20pm
Although I sometime wish Sponge would be more diplomatic about how he says things, he is right on this issue. I know this from personal experience as well as research.

When I was young, I was unbuckled in the back seat (no seat belts back then) when my mother hit the brakes in a minor accident. I was hurled into the front seat, and the glove compartment door opened simultaneously. I bear a scar to this day just to the right of my right eye, and am fortunate I did not lose it in this very minor accident. In a high speed accident, I no doubt would have been dead.

But if my personal experience is not compelling, consider this study:

Research done at the University of Buffalo (NY) Center for Transportation Injury Research, found that by not buckling up, back seat passengers endanger drivers in the vehicle in which they're riding. Researchers analyzed federal crash data, and found that when rear passengers sitting directly behind the driver don't buckle up, they triple their odds of dying in a head-on crash and double the odds that the driver will be killed. The study also found that unbelted adults in the rear passenger seat quadruple the maximum force to the driver's head and chest. The researchers calculated that if 95% of rear-seat passengers buckled up, they could save 800 lives and prevent more than 65,000 injuries each year. (national numbers).

While most slugs will not be behind the driver, the same principle would apply to the fellow slug seated ahead of them. Buckling up is a minor precaution that just might save you from serious injury or death...do it! No excuses...

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 1:30pm
Sponge- since when did you turn so nasty? I can understand the weather may dry you out a little but sheesh- BREATHE MAN!

Ok, I get it, seatbelts, your pro seatbelts.

DEAR GOD GIVE THE MAN A SEATBELT!

But he was in that accident, and that is what he was told. I cant change that fact. Do you believe everything you were ever told, all the time? Did I say that anyone was safer with or without one? All I did was state that is what he was told.

So sorry for sharing.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:42pm
"The EMT said..."

That's like the guy who was told that if he had been wearing a motorcycle helmet, he wouldn't have survived.

Maybe in a freak occurrence, someone not wearing a seatbelt survives where they might not have otherwise. But it's just that. A freak occurrence.

Anyone getting into someone else's car needs to have the courtesy to put the seatbelt on without being asked. Anyone that doesn't agree can ride the bus.

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:49pm
We probably all have anecdotal stories of how seatbelts saved / would have killed someone. For years a friend took the position that IF he were seatbelted and IF he drove into the water, he would likely drown. Of course, that doesn't happen as much as, let's say, getting rear ended or driving into a tree, but it keeps some people from doing what is safe. Whether an EMT could competently dissect a vehicle accident 10-20 years ago (?) to determine that seatbelts would have strangled someone is simply not what I am going to rely upon when I am in a vehicle and have others in my care.

Now I am sure that there are instances of people who were actually compromised by a seatbelt, but they are far and few between. Every week, however, you will read about someone ejected from a car to their severe detriment. Statistics and personal experience make it clear beyond any dispute that seatbelts save lives. Seatbelts are also more reliable and more effective than airbags. And, as Mr. SLug points out above, the life saved may be your own regardless if you are the driver or the slug.

As a lawyer I try to appeal to your base instincts so if you don't give a crap about the slug's life, at least you should care about YOUR insurance premimums and potential criminal liability.

BTW, "slugging is free" only for the slugs. Drivers pay for insurance, gas and upkeep. I don't want to be paying for more insurance because a slug didn't want to bother with a seatbelt or has some misconceived notion of their reliability.

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:56pm
I'm nasty about this because I don't want to die because you or some other idiot can't be troubled to put on a seatbelt, which takes all of 3 seconds to do.

And because my mother-in-law chose not to wear a belt on an icy night in West Virginia and, after her husband managed to run their 300M into a ditch, she was found in the back seat somehow, with several broken vertebrae.

Four operations later, she is fine, but slower, and lives with pain everyday. ER doctor said she would have walked away from the wreck unscathed if she had her seatbelt on. Instead, her STUPIDITY messed up everybody's lives accommodating her injury and recovery. And she suffers every day, the poor dear.

That's why the Sponge vents on this subject.

And don't EVEN get me started on the people who don't buckle up their kids! Good God A'mighty!

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:41pm
Hell, then your glad you didnt see that fool in the left turning lane on 610 a few weeks back with the not even two year old in the back seat with both her arms out the 1/2 open window, no car seat, no belt. She was too busy on her cell phone looking all mad at the world to care.

Ok, now that you've cooled a little, I understand your anger. I'm just sick of the name calling. My hubby was lucky, plain and simple.

Drive safe tonight. Believe me, my seatbelt will be on this afternoon.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 12:23pm
Hey, that is good news -- good that you will be wearing a seatbelt. The Sponge wants everyone to arrive home safe and sound, and if everyone front and back wears seatbelts, then there is a greater likelihood this will happen.

(I've never said anything to parents I see with unbuckled kids, but I've been tempted. Funny how often I see unbelted kids in the back and belted parents up front. I know they care about their kids, so I have to conclude that the parents think the children are safer unbelted. THAT is why I take such strong issue with the urban myths related to being unbelted.)

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 12:43pm
Here, GMHP, is the hilarious last word on this subject: go to Snopes for the TRUE story of the anti-seat belt advocate who died in the backseat of an SUV that rolled -- unbelted, of course. http://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

And the facts on getting "crisped" in a fiery accident because your seatbelt traps you... http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/seatbelt.asp

(The evilish side of me rather wants the Idiot Brigade to go on killing themselves off and thereby improve the gene pool... GMHP is no longer in the brigade, though, right? She's going to wear her seatbelt from now on? [:)])

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 1:27pm
Yes yes, seatbelt for me. I love snopes, I shut down many recycled emails with this site!

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 4:01pm
As far as I'm concerned she remains in the idiot brigade...refer to her posts.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net