Print Page | Close Window

FOR DO NOT RIDE WITH LIST

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2771
Printed Date: 02 May 2024 at 2:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: FOR DO NOT RIDE WITH LIST
Posted By: hawaiiangirl
Subject: FOR DO NOT RIDE WITH LIST
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2006 at 7:51pm
This is my first time that I have to say in the past 11 years of slugging that I have ever felt that I needed to post this comment about this driver I rode with tonight. First, since when has it been against the law as a rider to talk on your cell phone? Perhaps it annoys some people and if it does the common courtesy is to ask that person to not talk on their cell phone would be appropriate. On my way home tonight from the Pentagon to the 610 lot I was picked up by this man with a black either Toyota or Subaru 4 door older model car, I believe the license plate was JYE-9998, or close to that. I was so upset after getting out of his car I may have missed it by one or 2 numbers. Anyhow, I was talking on my cell phone, not loudly, as he had no air conditioning on and all the windows down. Very rudely, as we got to the bridge to exit to Quantico, he pulled over and I asked him was everything okay sir? And he responded by telling me that yes he is but that I could either get off the phone or get out of his car. I was terribly shocked at this and it was the first time I've ever had anyone be that rude and I was taken aback by this statement. I told him that I had no idea it was illegal to talk on your cell phone as a passenger in VA. He told me that he didn't care but that I should have known better because cell phones were for emergencies only. I responded by stating that it was no problem, I could respect his vehicle. Now I may have annoyed him, obviously he was annoyed. But I was quite annoyed by him because from the time we left the Pentagon Parking lot he sped the entire trip. He was driving irradically, in out of lanes giving the other drivers little time to give him space, he was speeding 85 or more the entire trip even to the point where we were inches from behind 18-wheelers and other cars. Scared the living you know what out of me and I suppose I stayed on my cell phone the entire trip to try and keep my mind off of how bad he was driving. The traffic was heavy as we got closer to Stafford and I didn't say anything else to him. He didn't say anything else to me, but the fact of the matter is, I would have had no problem not talking on my cell phone, but the way this guy drove was just unbelieveable. Why do people think that if they drive like that they get to their destination faster. I tell you what, if I ever see his car at the Pentagon or any lot for that matter, I will scream to folks in line never to ride w/him. The vehicle was stick shift and he kept on the gas and brake pedals the entire trip. What should you do if you ever feel like you have to get out of a driver's car on I-95? I felt that way tonight. Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 6:50am
Two in one day. Read the unofficial rules of this site. Other than "I'm on my way", or "I'm going to be late", slugs do not use cell phones in cars.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 8:30am
"Unofficial" rules....huuummm! If they are unofficial, why bother?

Posted By: gmugrad
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 8:49am
you are not supposed to be on your cell phone. What was so important? If you want to talk on your phone then drive yourself.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:12am
SOOOO- Ru bitching about the fact that he embarrassed you by pulling over, interrupted a conversation that obviously was SO interesting you had to carry it out in a strangers personal automobile, or that you had to pull his negative driving skills out of thin air to justify this post at all?

122582- I agree with you 100%. If my cell rings while I'm slugging, I'll wait for it to go to voice mail and check it to see what is so important. Voice mail is silent, and private.

45 minutes to an hour is not a whole lot of time to wait to get the latest gossip!!!

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:24am
Do you really expect us to believe that you had no idea that talking on your cell phone for the entire ride was inconsiderate? It doesn't excuse the driver's excessive reaction but you really need to keep the usage to a minimum.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:34am
Hi everyone

I think we have to remember that there are alot of new slugs out there, who didn't discover slugging via this website and who do not necessarily know the "unofficial rules". Rather than taking the extreme action of telling someone to get out of the car, perhaps the driver could or should have asked this person to cease talking on the cell phone first.

We had a newbie slug the other day at RV. She was so funny. She became the "caller" and she had no clue what to do. So she walked up to the cars, asked them where they were going, and when it wasn't her destination, she proceeded to the next car without calling out the destination of the car. She didn't understand the system, and no one got mad at her (okay, maybe slightly irritated) because she was new. So when a passenger doesn't follow the "unofficial rules" maybe we ought to be more understanding and ask them not to talk too long on the cell phone rather than threaten to throw them out of the car.

I agree with GMHP that the complaint about driving habits seems like after the fact whining anout the cell phone issue...

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:56am
Wow, didn't think that so many people would give me negative feedback. Like I said, this was the first time I actually started using this site. Thanks for all the responses. I no doubt, was not intending on being rude and realized after reading the rules today that it was one of the "unofficial rules". I normally do just read or take a nap while slugging. And I'm not "expecting" anyone to think that I didn't know about the rules. I don't normally talk on my cell phone. So I did not know this was a huge deal. I see people talking on cell phones all the time in cars, both drivers and riders. Don't know what cars you're riding in, because 75% of the cars I ride in, including drivers talk on the phone, business or personal. I will say that unless it was an emergency I would never talk on my phone as a driver. The fact of the matter is I stayed on my phone call that was was only supposed to be 10 minutes tops but because of his irradic driving I stayed on longer to take my mind off of how he was driving. To tell you the truth I have to say most people are great and for the better part of the years I drove and picked up people as late as 8:00 or 8:30 p.m. at the Pentagon, if folks were still there. The point that I think I'm really trying to stress is there is a way to tell someone that you prefer it if they could cut their conversation short without being nasty and threatening. That's what behavior he depicted. If people in this area, drivers and riders, want respect that's fine. I'm all for that. As I mentioned in my initial email I told the gentlemen I apologize and respected his vehicle but to pull over and threaten to put a women out on I-95 is carrying it too far. I suppose I looked at this situation if the shoe was anyone else's foot. No matter how bad it gets with someone, unless it's life threatening, I would NEVER threaten to put someone out of my car, I would just ask them to stop using the phone or whatever it is that's annoying me at the time. The fact that I was on the phone does not dismiss the fact that he was driving recklessly and to the person below that that made the comment about me being embarrased. What's to be embarrased about? The fact that everyone wants a rider so they can get in HOV and ride and the fact that everyone needs to get to work? That's what this system is designed to do, hence your screen name getmehome pleeze. Whatever you say is fine with me. Everyone is here to discuss as this is an open forum, but if you think what he did as far as pulling over to the side of the road was fine, than peace be on to you. You're entitled to your opinion. I hope it never happens to you. I will say again that after 11 years, this was the only bad encounter I've had and would say that it's still a good system. And 122582 I loved your tip about keeping slugging alive. And gmugrad, I had to laugh at your response, is that what they teach you at GMU? With that attitude we'd all be walking.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:00am
So much here, so little server space to record it all.

How about we sum it up with a word that seems to be falling into disuse if not dis-practice (I understand those aren't really words used "rightly", go with it tho')...COURTESY.

If we all practiced it, whether as drivers or slugs, life wouldn't need to be so contentious as to require this many posts voicing opinions about who done what to whom when.

I'm out.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: chmp
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:30am
I find your use of adjectives very interesting and think that if he had not called you out for talking on your cell phone, which is very rude, you would not of posted on the board. I have to think you are stretching the truth a bit because you are angry you had to put your cell phone away. If you were in my car and I probably would have dropped you off before we even got out of the lot.

Also, making fun on someone's school is unacceptable. I did not go to GMU, and yes I did go to college and then law school, but it is immature and rude to make fun of where someone went to school.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:48am
Oh believe me, if I had been in your shoes I would have been a range of things, embarrassed, scared, and eventually pissed off.

I think the driver was either in a bad mood and you set him off, or you were just that annoying to make him do it. "The world may never know".

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:49am
Assuming that everything in the original post is true, this driver should be put on the do not ride list with the additional suggestion that the slug informs fellow slugs in line of a dangerous, aggressive driver. Sure, one should not talk on the phone for more than a brief time, but this driver was way out of line. To begin with, he can state at the beginning of the ride what is rules are, politely. Second, if he had a problem during the ride, he could have said something. Sorry folks, the way I read it, the slug was the good guy of the two because of the outrageous driver attitude and inability to deal with it politely.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:58am
quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]I find your use of adjectives very interesting and think that if he had not called you out for talking on your cell phone, which is very rude, you would not of posted on the board. I have to think you are stretching the truth a bit because you are angry you had to put your cell phone away. If you were in my car and I probably would have dropped you off before we even got out of the lot.

Also, making fun on someone's school is unacceptable. I did not go to GMU, and yes I did go to college and then law school, but it is immature and rude to make fun of where someone went to school.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 11:43am
Thanks for the comments, negative or positive. If riders or drivers didn't experience bad situations, would anyone ever post anything? If no one got scared or felt like they were in a helpless state, would they post anything? Perhaps, but how would anyone know if there were cars we shouldn't get into. I thought we posted things to protect us? That's why this is called a forum so we can explain what could possibly be a situation that could happen to anyone. Whether I was on my cell phone or not, a simple courtesy to tell someone to end their call was all that was needed, annoying or not. Again, I appreciate everyone's comments. Whether I had described his irradic driving behavior first or last, it doesn't matter, because I would never want anyone to be in a car in which the driver was not considering he had riders in it. On the phone or not. You can believe it or not, seeing how folks drive on the beltway and 95 everyday is proof enough for me. Good luck to everyone on their slugging and be safe.

PS. On the note about education at GMU. I, too have a 4 year degree, 2 as a matter of fact. Degrees do not equal COMMON SENSE. If you look at the initial comment, she said that if I wanted to talk on my cell phone I should drive myself. Is that advice we should be giving people? I don't think you should DRIVE and be on lengthy calls at all. The POINT is no one should have to feel scared in a car that needs you as much as you need them. If you feel the need to put someone out of the car then perhaps dropping them off in the lot before you leave it would be much more sensible than driving all the way until 15 minutes before your exit to do so. As many of you have stated, and as I have restated I was at fault with being on the cell phone, I apologized and got off, at that point that's all I could do. I certainly have learned now, what the "unofficial rule" is.

Posted By: chmp
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 11:59am
"Scared the living you know what out of me and I suppose I stayed on my cell phone the entire trip to try and keep my mind off of how bad he was driving"

This was in hawaiiangirls original post...so apparently she did not care enough to get off the phone. Regardless it sounds like the driver was driving to fast and the rider was angry and wanted to vent it here, though I believe the "clean hands doctrine" comes into play here. Neither parties may come to the court when they are both guilty of wrongdoing...hence...both parties guilty of wrongdoing here, so a statement by either should be taken with a huge grain of salt!

Personally, as a rider, I would rather be in a car going over the speed limit than in a car with another slug on the phone the whole time.

Ok this is getting old so have at it. Peace.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 12:08pm
lol...chmp I agree, BUT- I'd also rather not be in a car with a driver on the phone the entire time. Not for the sake of an overheard conversation, but for safety issues. My county back home was the first in the US to pass the hands free cell phone law. I wish it was in effect here.

GMHP was hea!

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 12:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]"Scared the living you know what out of me and I suppose I stayed on my cell phone the entire trip to try and keep my mind off of how bad he was driving"

This was in hawaiiangirls original post...so apparently she did not care enough to get off the phone. Regardless it sounds like the driver was driving to fast and the rider was angry and wanted to vent it here, though I believe the "clean hands doctrine" comes into play here. Neither parties may come to the court when they are both guilty of wrongdoing...hence...both parties guilty of wrongdoing here, so a statement by either should be taken with a huge grain of salt!

Personally, as a rider, I would rather be in a car going over the speed limit than in a car with another slug on the phone the whole time.

Ok this is getting old so have at it. Peace.

CHMP, had I known I was being that much of a pest and annoyance much, much earlier in the trip, trust me, I would have gotten off the phone. That would not have been a problem. And you're right, I do agree that his annoyance with me could have fueled his attitude towards me, but then you should have said something sooner and not drive faster, if that was the case. I truly did not know I was annoying him. Why would I encourage that? That's crazy. You're entitled to your opinion and good luck in a fast driving car....Be safe!

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 12:13pm

He COULD HAVE said something like "Ms., please finish up your conversation'...I guess that would have been easier than pulling over.

Hawaiiangirl, quick question, were you in the front or back, and what was the reaction of the other slug?

on a lighthearted note:
Maybe this whole thing was a conspiracy by a sluglines member to see if you would come post about this incident...do do do do ....

GMHP was hea!

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 12:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]
He COULD HAVE said something like "Ms., please finish up your conversation'...I guess that would have been easier than pulling over.

Hawaiiangirl, quick question, were you in the front or back, and what was the reaction of the other slug?

on a lighthearted note:
Maybe this whole thing was a conspiracy by a sluglines member to see if you would come post about this incident...do do do do ....

GMHP was hea!

GMHP, I'm afraid to say, because I feel tremendously bad, as that is the kind of person that I am, that my actions would have caused someone to get that upset with me that they felt the only thing to do was pull over. I'm a pretty caring person and of course I fall short of that as most of us do. We're all only human. But in answer to your question which made the situation perhaps be even more fueled was that I was in the front, but talking very low and not with all the normal animation and laughing that some folks may exhibit while on the phone. The other slug didn't say one thing, not one peep. And he just got in his car when we got out into the lot. That was it. I will say that it's been a real learing experience and despite this experience I will certainly pay more attention to possibly offending someone the next time. Thanks for your comments.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 1:04pm
Don't stress it, we've all had rides that we wish we hadn't taken, it's the learning experience I guess. Sorry for the harshness earlier.

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 1:47pm
Hawaiiangirl, I find it hard to believe that common sense and courtesy would not dictate to you that carrying on a lengthy cell phone conversation in someone else's car, in the front seat no less, would not be considered rude. True, the driver's response wasn't appropriate but you initiated the rudeness and should learn from this experience. As for posting about the DO NOT RIDE list, stick to what he was doing wrong and not trying to justify your actions.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 1:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by shelbybrynn
[br]Hawaiiangirl, I find it hard to believe that common sense and courtesy would not dictate to you that carrying on a lengthy cell phone conversation in someone else's car, in the front seat no less, would not be considered rude. True, the driver's response wasn't appropriate but you initiated the rudeness and should learn from this experience. As for posting about the DO NOT RIDE list, stick to what he was doing wrong and not trying to justify your actions.

Shelbybrynn: I appreciate your comments, although I think you should re-read what my earlier comments were, that way you wouldn't need to send this response. You obviously have not read what I wrote, much less what my reasons were for posting this from the beginning. I'm assuming with the name of Shelby that your a female and if I'm wrong I apologize, but you should hope this situation, as a female never happens to you, it may or may not ever have anything to do with you being on a cell phone, it could be the driver doesn't like what color your wearing one day and decides to kick you out of the car on I-95. Who knows, and God forbid it doesn't happen to you. I think a lot of folks have used this forum to speak their mind, and so be it.

Thanks again everyone for your comments. After this last response I will choose to not respond or make any further comments.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 2:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Don't stress it, we've all had rides that we wish we hadn't taken, it's the learning experience I guess. Sorry for the harshness earlier.

GMHP was hea!

GMHP: No harshness taken. It's usually hard to hurt my feelings, but I will say I thought I would get more support then this. LOLOL! Thanks again and I really do appreciate your comments. If we all stopped our willingness to learn, where would we be right? I think comments from all of us are important and some may be more than others but I think everyone should comment with consideration for others, no matter right or wrong. Again, be safe and Take Care

Posted By: shelbybrynn
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 2:13pm
Yes, hawaiiangirl, I had unfortunately read though your long-winded whine fest and I still think you were trying to justify your rude behavior by calling out the driver's problems. Just admit it was extremely rude behavior and that you knew it was rude but you didn't care, until the point when he called you out on it!! Then you can agree to not carry on lengthy conversations in someone else's car again. Then we will all be happy, driver's and slugs alike!!

BTW, your comment about your choice of clothing was quite humorous but nonetheless, it has nothing to do with your rudeness.

Posted By: MSCUSN
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 4:10pm
WOW hawaiiangirl, I can unfortunately understand why the driver was so upset, you were on the phone for over 30 minutes (pentagon to Quantico), what could you have been talking about. If I were in a car and I thought the driver was going to get me killed, I would ask him or her to pull over, it is best to be stranded on the side of I95 alive than dead in the HOV lane. I always drive, and I am sure my driving habits annoy some riders and for that I am sorry, but hey it is a free ride, they can choose not to ride with me a second time. But as a driver I really do dislike the cell phone conversation that goes on and on and on. Long cell phone calls (personal not business in nature) and people who smack their gum when they chew annoy the hell out of me! I probably would not have said anything to you, I would just make sure I never pick you up again.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 9:08am
hawaiiangirl, you had no business being on a cell phone that long, period. (cell phone calls for slugs should be no longer than 30 seconds)

driver of car could have handled it better, period.

That about sums it up.

Posted By: BabblinB
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 10:34am
Alot of these nit-wits are negative.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 2:41pm
Oh, why not, I'll throw a log on the fire:

Slugs are GUESTS in the personal space of the driver. Would you sit in a stranger's cubicle or kitchen and hold a long cell conversation? Of course not. How much more offensive within the small bounds of a car.

Why should the rest of us even have to explain this to you?

This Sponge is very tired of all the selfish, arrogant, entitled, oblivious, and downright rude humans who think that they can do or dress or loudly say anything they want, and if you don't like it, then you are disrespecting them.

One morning I (nicely) pointed out to another slug that it wasn't considered etiquette for slugs to talk on their cells. The driver and I were treated to an extremely loud, prolonged, and profane burst of anger. It was a bit scary. And I felt bad because I had inadvertently put the driver into this situation.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 3:00pm
So much here, so little server space to record it all.

How about we sum it up with a word that seems to be falling into disuse if not dis-practice (I understand those aren't really words used "rightly", go with it tho')...COURTESY.

If we all practiced it, whether as drivers or slugs or even just humans, life wouldn't need to be so contentious as to require this many posts voicing opinions about who done what to whom when.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 3:05pm
De ja vu??

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: BabblinB
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 4:21pm
The driver and I were treated to a hot cup of coffee that the passanger on the phone later spilled on us. OUCH!!!

Some of us slugs are cranky, and some just enjoy the commute.

Posted By: beachhead
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 5:17pm
My, my, my. I think we all need a time out. A lot of aggression out there in slug cyberland. Like SpongeBob, here is my log.

Yes, we have a lot of unofficial rules in this system and they are all common-sense, common-courtesy things. Unfortunately, there are many people, especially recent converts to slugging, who seem somewhat less equipped to deal with the "rigors" of slugging than the wisened old-timers and the aficionados of Emily Post. Someone who carries on a 30+ minute cell phone conversation in a stranger's car probably ought to know that it might not be well received by the driver without being told as much. But on the other hand, we should not have to tell people why they should wear seatbelts or motorcycle helmets (yes, you, Big Ben) or that you should not look down the barrel of a loaded gun. And still, we have people killed because they did not buckle up or wear a helmet or by an accidental discharge by their own firearm. These people sometimes must be told for their own good.

Likewise, cell phone-using slugs should be told when they are an annoyance because they probably just don't have a clue that they are annoying someone. But please, we can do that without threatening bodily harm, forcible discharge from the vehicle or other rather draconian sanctions. Now, if we have corrected this errant behavior and the offending party continues unabated or cops an attitude, then all bets are off.

But in the end, I kind of like NoSB's approach. Can't we all just get along? If not, we will eventually doom slugging to the ash heap of history, as the law of the jungle takes over. Again, for those who seem unresponsive to correction and continue to try to talk on their phone, bring coffee into someone else's car, break wind, etc., let them walk! But for the love of Pete, mellow out everyone.

Posted By: RCA
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 12:27pm
You know...everytime I come on this site, I tend to lose a little more faith in people. If you want to get technical, the driver (if irritated) should have have the personal fiber to ask you to please not talk on your phone while riding. Had a driver pulled off onto the side of the rode and been so rude as to tell me to "get off the phone or get out of his car", I won't tell you what the first thing out of my mouth would have been.

Truth of the matter is, people take things too seriously. I am so glad to ride in and out of Rosslyn to Gordon Road in Fredericksburg, because not only have I developed great friendships out of it, the folks who drive and ride go a long way to alleviating my stress levels from the day. Grant it, it may be me and everyone is different, but I bet this driver would not have done the same thing had a 6'2, 200 pound MAN been on the phone.

Third - I know I have small kids, and they call me when I get out of work - nearly everyday - as does my wife...if the phone rings in a car where the "vibe" is not so friendly - I immediately say "please excuse me - I need to take this"...I have my conversation and then apologize. Why am I apologizing? I really don't know - but I do it - because I realize there are psychos out there who actually care enuff to bitch about a cell phone in 2006.

People. Please...this is a silly, silly issue. Come on. People are dying EVERYDAY in war and of disease and poverty....and we're moaning about cell phone usage on I95.

Perspective is a powerful tool.

off my soapbox I go...

Posted By: SlugsB1tch2Much
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2006 at 4:29am
Why do you think I have this username, and why do you think I ride alone in my nice hybrid when I feel like it? Slugs can be a pain in the ass sometimes (e.g. GMHP)

Posted By: rodmunera
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 12:08pm
Well, "SlugsB1tch2Much", let me point you to another post on this site and declare our independance of selfish drivers like you.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3768

Posted By: abomb36
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:39am
This is a case of someone's "personal" space invading another's "public' space. You should have had him pull over about a mile down 395 to let you out so that he could have gotten a ticket for only having two in his car. Hopefully you would have avoided the ticket for walking on a highway, but you could have cried to the cop and given him the offending driver's plate number.

Or you could have just said sorry, hung up the phone, and told the driver he didn't need to be such an ass about the whole thing.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 12:58pm
bumping subject

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2006 at 12:38pm
Good to see your the same old Slug, that bitches too much.

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: spolastre
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 2:01pm
Being someone that use to pick people up all the time, I think that is super rude when you are in someone's car and you are constantly chatting on the phone. Like others have said, it should be used only for emergencies, if someone is picking you up, or something about your children. I compare it to someone talking while you are at the theater.

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiiangirl
[br]This is my first time that I have to say in the past 11 years of slugging that I have ever felt that I needed to post this comment about this driver I rode with tonight. First, since when has it been against the law as a rider to talk on your cell phone? Perhaps it annoys some people and if it does the common courtesy is to ask that person to not talk on their cell phone would be appropriate. On my way home tonight from the Pentagon to the 610 lot I was picked up by this man with a black either Toyota or Subaru 4 door older model car, I believe the license plate was JYE-9998, or close to that. I was so upset after getting out of his car I may have missed it by one or 2 numbers. Anyhow, I was talking on my cell phone, not loudly, as he had no air conditioning on and all the windows down. Very rudely, as we got to the bridge to exit to Quantico, he pulled over and I asked him was everything okay sir? And he responded by telling me that yes he is but that I could either get off the phone or get out of his car. I was terribly shocked at this and it was the first time I've ever had anyone be that rude and I was taken aback by this statement. I told him that I had no idea it was illegal to talk on your cell phone as a passenger in VA. He told me that he didn't care but that I should have known better because cell phones were for emergencies only. I responded by stating that it was no problem, I could respect his vehicle. Now I may have annoyed him, obviously he was annoyed. But I was quite annoyed by him because from the time we left the Pentagon Parking lot he sped the entire trip. He was driving irradically, in out of lanes giving the other drivers little time to give him space, he was speeding 85 or more the entire trip even to the point where we were inches from behind 18-wheelers and other cars. Scared the living you know what out of me and I suppose I stayed on my cell phone the entire trip to try and keep my mind off of how bad he was driving. The traffic was heavy as we got closer to Stafford and I didn't say anything else to him. He didn't say anything else to me, but the fact of the matter is, I would have had no problem not talking on my cell phone, but the way this guy drove was just unbelieveable. Why do people think that if they drive like that they get to their destination faster. I tell you what, if I ever see his car at the Pentagon or any lot for that matter, I will scream to folks in line never to ride w/him. The vehicle was stick shift and he kept on the gas and brake pedals the entire trip. What should you do if you ever feel like you have to get out of a driver's car on I-95? I felt that way tonight. Thanks!

Posted By: CalebMcanelly
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 4:52am
A teacher, or the prison, more and more ares are considering the legal use of cell phone jammers, it has been a necessity of our daily life, I have got one from http://www.jammerall.com/ for my family. so if you want to get one, you can go and visit it for more details. share with you!

Posted By: AngloAustrian
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 10:17am
Goodness. Eleven years of slugging and somehow you failed to notice in all that time that talking on your cell phone for thirty minutes is rude? Slugs should do their very best to be unobtrusive. Follow the slug rules. Get in, thank you for the ride, and shut up. If your phone rings, answer it, say, "Can I call you back later, can't talk now, in somebody else's car." Takes five seconds. If it's an emergency, then certainly warn the driver, but it didn't sound like your call was an emergency. Some people are passive aggressive. The driver might have been thinking, "Surely, she's getting my vibes that I want to listen to the radio," or "Surely she's going to stop any minute?" "Should I say something, maybe she'll stop and I won't have to." And by the time half an hour has gone by, he could be a tad frustrated and then OVERreact. So, just watch yourself. Read the rules, and you will be fine.

Posted By: lisad219
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:39am
I think the drivers reaction was rude and over the top. All he had to do was ask you to end your convo, not pull over. I've people do it. However, talking on the phone as a slug is 100% rude and annoying and in my opinion is a distraction to the driver. I dont want to listen to someone talking on the phone for 30-60 mins. Come on, commonsense.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net