Print Page | Close Window

Just paving springfield or more?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2845
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Just paving springfield or more?
Posted By: pbinkley
Subject: Just paving springfield or more?
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 8:24am
The springfield line was blocked off today for what looked like repaving of that lot. Does any one know if there will be bigger changes there? Why would it get totally paved if there wasn't something else going on?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 8:31am
My thoughts exactly. Wonder how long it will be roped off.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 8:58am
Any idea who we can contact to find out?

quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]My thoughts exactly. Wonder how long it will be roped off.

Posted By: vb
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:08am
I have my car serviced at the dealer directly behind the American Legion on Backlick. When I picked up my car a few months ago the Service Rep mentioned that their parts/service department would be moving to the "old" Circuit City Bldg so I believe this is the beginning of a business which will have traffic early/late so we won't be able to meet there.

Does anyone have any other information? How do we begin to set a new location? I relatively new to Slugging.

VB

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:12am
That's a very good question.
There is a section on the Slug Lines web site for starting a new line. That should have some good ideas.

I wonder if moving the line over to the parking lot across the Franconia road would be a decent alternative. It might get too congested and also cause problems with the bank and other vendors.

Posted By: genibee
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:15am
We definitely can't do what we did this morning - having the line form on the main road was really dangerous for all concerned.

Posted By: chmp
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:31am
I propose that in the interin we use the church parking lot, and I am sure that will only work for this week. It would be tricky as that access road goes pretty far back. Another option would be to bombard the Mobile station. Either way I think we need to keep it after the light.

Also you can call Dana Kaufmann's office at 703-971-6262

Posted By: pwbnd
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 10:04am
If a permanent move is required, I'd propose that we look at moving to the commuter lot at the intersection of Gambrill Road and Fairfax Co. Parkway.

There was some interest in starting a line there a few months back, but as far as I know it never really took off. This disruption might be enough to get it rolling. It's got very easy access to HOV lanes for both morning and evening commuters.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 10:17am
Is there enough space there for people to park and catch a ride, as there is at the shopping mall currently?

quote:
Originally posted by pwbnd
[br]If a permanent move is required, I'd propose that we look at moving to the commuter lot at the intersection of Gambrill Road and Fairfax Co. Parkway.

There was some interest in starting a line there a few months back, but as far as I know it never really took off. This disruption might be enough to get it rolling. It's got very easy access to HOV lanes for both morning and evening commuters.

Posted By: pwbnd
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 10:31am
223 spaces....not sure how that compares to the current lot.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/const-project.asp?ID=130

Served by both Metrobus and Fairfax Co. Connector as well.

Posted By: osang1057
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 12:15pm
May I suggest that we use the area at Springfield Plaza.
The point of line might be convenience. This is the area where we usually dropped off in the afternoon. Beside the Bank. Parking lot area.

We can also start a new slug line (morning) near K-mart. At least this area is safe and not too busy.

Posted By: osang1057
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 12:17pm
Gambrill Road is too far from Backlick area.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 12:20pm
I agree that it is a bit far.
Also, just for ease of transition, the Springfield plaza might be the most logical change for those not on the web to find...

quote:
Originally posted by osang1057
[br]Gambrill Road is too far from Backlick area.

Posted By: merlin
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 12:40pm
check out the bob's closed thread in the general message area.

Merlin

Posted By: Arada
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:00pm
I propose we move it to the Legion Parking Lot (behind the current pick up spot). Half of the parking space is not for commuters so we can use that as a pick up space. It is quite convinient for drivers to go in and pick people up and reconnet back to Old Keene and proceed to the HOV lane.
What do you think?

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:04pm
[:)] Another option ... You could restart the line at Springfield Mall near JC Penney's. It had all sorts of political sponsorship and mall support a year or two ago -- but never caught on. [:)] Now might be the time. [:)]

Posted By: chmp
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:08pm
I am for that idea for the Legion Parking lot. I am a huge no on Springfield Mall. I do not feel safe leaving my car there all day (I know it is a few short minutes from Springfield Plaza, but there is a huge difference) and I think the location is not the most appealing given the other options that are available right now. I think logistically it makes the most sense, so how do we go about getting people to catch on to it. Are signs in order?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:35pm
If you haven't done so already, please look at the "Bob's Closed" thread in the General chat room.

It looks like, for tomorrow at least, the slug lines will move to next to Wacovia bank.

quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]I am for that idea for the Legion Parking lot. I am a huge no on Springfield Mall. I do not feel safe leaving my car there all day (I know it is a few short minutes from Springfield Plaza, but there is a huge difference) and I think the location is not the most appealing given the other options that are available right now. I think logistically it makes the most sense, so how do we go about getting people to catch on to it. Are signs in order?

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 6:53am
[:0] The Bob's slugs DID NOT line up at the Wachovia and were blocking OKM road right-hand lane traffic in front of Circuit City again this morning. [:0] There's gonna be one big "rear-ender" there because that's the lane people want to get in for the I-95 north entrance ramps.

Move the freakin' "Bob's" line across OKM if there's no way for drivers to pull completely off OKM Rd to pick-up the slugs.
[8]Stopping in the high-demand lane just ain't gonna work! [8]

Posted By: Linda Waller
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 2:06pm
This message about the Circuit City slug line is from Supervisor Dana Kauffman.

Folks,

I’ve heard you and here’s what we’re doing to help:

Short term, we are trying to get the lot re-opened to sluggers. The Circuit City site is private property and not subject to our direct control.

Long term, I have secured Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ approval to have our staff begin discussions with the owners for possible purchase of the lots to preserve them for use by sluggers and other commuters.

Also, late this year, construction will begin on another park and ride lot on Backlick (at its intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway.) This lot will also offer immediate access for the hot lanes and will provide additional opportunities for sluggers.

The slugging system works and I will do everything I can to keep your private initiative alive and well.

Dana Kauffman
Lee District Supervisor

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 7:26am
Thanks for posting the response.

Question regarding the next to last paragraph - Did Kauffman mean to say "hot" or "hov"?

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 7:50am
The F-S Parkway only has ramps to the current HOV lanes that will eventually become the HOT lanes when HOT is implemented.

Please note that there are no entrance ramps from the F-S Parkway onto the I-95 non-HOV (AKA regular)lanes either N'bound or S'bound.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 10:05am
Reply to DC2RV's question about whether Supervisor Kauffman meant HOV or HOT lanes: HOV.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 1:19pm
We have just received word that the Circuit City slug site will be reopened either tomorrow morning or Friday morning.

Apparently, the site was closed for routine maintenance—resurfacing—and the contractor was not aware of the slug use. The high heat has slowed the asphalt cure time.

If I had to guess, I’d say that with today’s heat and humidity, Friday seems more likely.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net