Print Page | Close Window

Bob's Closed

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2846
Printed Date: 12 May 2024 at 3:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bob's Closed
Posted By: chmp
Subject: Bob's Closed
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:29am
Ok so it is an understatement to say that Bob's line was broke this morning. I work on the Hill and will be calling Davis and Moran's office's to see what they say and what they can do. Both offices are very supportive of slugging, but in the interim we should work out a system to get around the closed off area.

If you slug from Bob's please respond with idea, if you do not slug from Bob's please stay off this thread as I don't want it to get bogged down with off topic conversations.

UPDATE: Talked to Davis's office. We need to call Dana Kaufmann at 703-971-6262. Everyone call!!!

THANKS!!!

Replies:
Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 9:42am
It appeared that it was blocked off due to repaving and striping. Could it be that Kay Jennings is taking over as was rumored several months ago?

I don't know what a call to your reps would accomplish.

Posted By: Golfergirl
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 10:28am
Perhaps the best thing for the near future is for drivers to go to where the drop off is made at Bob's (behind the Wachovia bank?) in the evenings, and then exit with the light. This morning around 8:15, it was a mess, and could easily cause accidents. We just need to get the word out so that there are no accidents, and no hot tempers with drivers/riders.

Posted By: osang1057
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 10:38am
May I suggest 3 pick up points:
1. parking lot at the back of the church
2. Springfield plaza - near K-mart or parking lot of park & ride infront of the bank
3. Parking lot of American Legion Veteran's building (back of old Circuit city)make a right after the gasoline station (Mobil). Before 395/95 entrance.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 11:10am
I vote for option 3 because it is easy access in and out and minimal left turns for drivers who will still want the convienence of being able to get right to 395.

Posted By: lajamc3
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 11:39am
I think the evening dropoff point is best-next to the bank and across from CVS. We can then just turn left out of the parking lot and get onto the HOV. Saves most slugs having to venture accross Franconia Rd. for a change too!
L.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 11:59am
Just spoke to Linda Waller at the County Bd of Supervisors (Spvsr Kauffman's office). They are aware of the problem and trying to get in touch w/ the owner of the property to see what's going on. Here is a nutshell of what she told me:

1. Owner is Mr. Thalheimer of Richmond--has no request for construction or otherwise at the site in w/ the Board (Kay Jennings request was withdrawn some time ago, so that's not it). Hasn't yet responded to their attempts to contact him.

2. They're not aware of any problems that have occurred in the Bob's lot or environs that would lead them to take this action and ownership has not changed recently.

3. This morning's events will probably not be allowed (thank goodness) to be repeated as it obviously creates a traffic hazard that the police will not like.

4. The church is not a recommended site for several reasons--school programs, already heavy traffic at that site, etc. She recommends calling the church and asking their permission before rerouting Bob's slugs and drivers there.

5. Behind Wachovia near the commuter park and ride, or somewhere thereabouts, might work better.

6. They will either post here or get in contact w/ those who have called when they know something more from the owners.

Hope this helps!
La

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 12:16pm
Fantastic. It sounds more promising that maybe this is just a temporary problem if there are no requests or even permits in process. Hopefully that is the case. The only concern with the bank is the amout of traffic we would then produce at the light, which could be a concern in the long term if it ends up being the long term solution.

Now how to do we get the word out for tomorrow so we don't have anyone getting rear ended on Old Keene Mill!

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:08pm
Another option ... You could restart the line at Springfield Mall near JC Penney's. It had all sorts of political sponsorship and mall support a year or two ago -- but never caught on. Now might be the time.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:16pm
I'm guessing people will still walk over toward Bob's tomorrow, so maybe a sign directing them back to the other side, or one near the bank (if that's what people decide), or both. I wouldn't mind stopping after work and putting a couple of signs up that say "BOB's SLUGS AND DRIVERS, MEET AT {BANK PARKING LOT}". The closer the better to Bob's, since half are pedestrians walking in the heat.

What say you all?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:27pm
I am for that. I can help with signs too. there is a CVS right there with posterboard and such. I am leaving work at 5 and slugging down to Bob's. Do we want to coordinate this effort? Anything to make tomorrow smoother:-)

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:34pm
I have some white foam core in my office here, and can do a couple of signs and tack them up on my way home at 7 or so. Any concensus on where they should be and where they should direct people? Maybe we should wait 'til closer to 4 or 5 so others can weigh in on it? I'm relatively new to this, so if there have been methods used in the past when Bob's has been closed, I defer to those!
La

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:35pm
I would think as close to the closed off place as possible and then probably right before the light, so they can make the left turn without too much hassle, so maybe the light right before, Spring Rd I think it is? WHere the Weichert building is?

Posted By: pbinkley
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:44pm
What about for drivers coming from the south? Can something be put up in the median or on the right side of Franconia Rd. facing south so drivers know to turn right at Bob's to pick up?

Thanks to all for doing this!

quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]I would think as close to the closed off place as possible and then probably right before the light, so they can make the left turn without too much hassle, so maybe the light right before, Spring Rd I think it is? WHere the Weichert building is?

Posted By: SlugGirl
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 2:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by pbinkley
[br]What about for drivers coming from the south? Can something be put up in the median or on the right side of Franconia Rd. facing south so drivers know to turn right at Bob's to pick up?

Thanks to all for doing this!

quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]I would think as close to the closed off place as possible and then probably right before the light, so they can make the left turn without too much hassle, so maybe the light right before, Spring Rd I think it is? WHere the Weichert building is?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 2:58pm
Another option is to cut down that yellow tape!! :)

quote:
Originally posted by lajamc3
[br]Just spoke to Linda Waller at the County Bd of Supervisors (Spvsr Kauffman's office). They are aware of the problem and trying to get in touch w/ the owner of the property to see what's going on. Here is a nutshell of what she told me:

1. Owner is Mr. Thalheimer of Richmond--has no request for construction or otherwise at the site in w/ the Board (Kay Jennings request was withdrawn some time ago, so that's not it). Hasn't yet responded to their attempts to contact him.

2. They're not aware of any problems that have occurred in the Bob's lot or environs that would lead them to take this action and ownership has not changed recently.

3. This morning's events will probably not be allowed (thank goodness) to be repeated as it obviously creates a traffic hazard that the police will not like.

4. The church is not a recommended site for several reasons--school programs, already heavy traffic at that site, etc. She recommends calling the church and asking their permission before rerouting Bob's slugs and drivers there.

5. Behind Wachovia near the commuter park and ride, or somewhere thereabouts, might work better.

6. They will either post here or get in contact w/ those who have called when they know something more from the owners.

Hope this helps!
La

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 3:59pm
Put one sign just before the marked crosswalk at the stop light so those slugs who cross OKM legally and safely will see it BEFORE they cross to the morning "Bob's" slug line side. Put another sign near the fenced/roped off area at the old Circuit City so those slugs who cross OKM illegally won't see it until AFTER they disrupt traffic and risk life & limb when they run like squirrels across OKM in the middle of the block. That would be just another not-so-subtle way to show them what a stupid risk they take and how unsafe they really are.

I'm all for putting the slug line on the Wachovia bank side of OKM for the safety of those scampering squirrel-like, road-crossing slugs.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 4:18pm
All this is assuming that the lot isn't reopended in the morning right?

Has anyone made it home yet to check on the status?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 4:49pm
No real update to report, but let's assume we have to at least temporarily relocate, but the Supervisor's office is still trying to track down what's going on w/ the owner, etc. The sign about "No loitering" is pretty permanent looking. Supervisor Kaufmann brought it up at today's board meeting, according to his office, so they are definitely aware of the problem.
I'm planning to post some signs after work (I hope!), for folks to 'report' to the lot behind Wachovia bank. There's no median there, but whatever we post will be better than nothing, I suppose. Anyone's welcome to put more signs up. (Maybe once I get out of work, some sign fairy will have it all done for us!)
La

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 6:57am
The Bob's slugs DID NOT line up at the Wachovia and were blocking OKM road right-hand lane traffic in front of Circuit City again this morning. There's gonna be one big "rear-ender" there because that's the lane people want to get in for the I-95 north entrance ramps.

Move the freakin' "Bob's" line across OKM if there's no way for drivers to pull completely off OKM Rd to pick-up the slugs.
Stopping in the high-demand lane just ain't gonna work!

Posted By: happycommuter
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 7:26am
Heard on Lisa Baden's traffic report this morning that the slug line has moved behind the Wachovia bank.

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 7:27am
When we drove by at 6:50ish this AM, the slug line was behind the bank and F'fax police were directing slugs away from the CC lot.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 7:29am
Also, on WTOP, Lisa Baden mentioned the line moving to behind the bank.

We'll see how long this lasts...

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 8:50am
It was definately a little sloppier than usual this morning but I think after today (and riders tell drivers where to pick up for the morning) it will go much smoother.

Thanks to those who put up signs! I know it helped a lot of sluggers this morning who had not read the message board!

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:05am
At 8 am cops were ticketing drivers who pulled over. Sad to see them not trying to fix the problem but just ticketing.

There were still two lines working one on OKM and one at Wachovia. Was a complete mess. I called Supervisor McConnell's office to try and get them on it.

Posted By: Golfergirl
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:14am
Kind of messy this morning. Thanks to the drivers who were patient. Sympathies to those drivers who got tickets because the cops are jerks and need to make their quotas! They should be helping the commuters, not penalizing them. The Wachovia lot seems to work best, if the riders can figure out where they want to go, and get re-organized! At 8:00 at Wachovia, for those drivers who went there, the mess was with the riders not knowing where they wanted to go! Thanks to everyone who is working to make this work!

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:20am
Sorry for duplicates--didn't think they were posting.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:25am
Hi again. You're welcome for the signs, but they weren't all that effective for some--lots of people lining up (and getting tickets!?) on the Bob's side. Seems like the street side of Wachovia is the better spot. Also, I called WTOP last night and asked them to get Lisa Baden to make the announcement. I am so PSYCHED that she did! Anybody who wants to put up more/better signs feel free (definitely no pride of authorship here-I flunked 1st grade art)!!
Can't figure out why some slugs and drivers insisted on going to the Bob's side, despite the danger and the alternative.

Terrible about the cops ticketing. They should be HELPING us, not making revenue from it. Another call to the Supervisor's office is probably in order! Let's stay patient, keep the faith, and hope for a better morning tomorrow.
La

Let's stay patient, keep the faith, and hope for a better morning tomorrow.

UPDATE: Left a message at Spvsr. Kaufmann's office that TICKETING doesn't help, but directing people over to Wachovia would and that we're very disappointed that while we're trying to make this work safely, the County is using it to increase revenues. Hope it helps!

Posted By: May
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:34am
Not to worry! Today cops were only giving out warnings! They did act really aggressive to make a point though!

And they even gave warnings to jay walkers. My question is why don't they build a bridge there? Wouldn't that look good and be very useful? Our tax money should go into useful projects for the people and not get wasted!

Posted By: chocolate928
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:50am
I am a rider at Bob's and I will call.

Thanks[:D]

choclate928

Posted By: dp
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:51am
the officers were giving out warning tickets this morning for drivers picking up commuters on the road. They mention that starting Friday, they will give out tickets to drivers if this continue. I recommend that we move to the Springfield plaze by the Wachovia bank or K-mart area. And its very convenience to access HOV!! They have been some mention of this a few months ago but it never happen. [:)]

Posted By: chocolate928
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 10:31am
I just sopken with a co-worker and she informed me that the slug line has moved to the bank across the street for now.

[:)]

choclate928

Posted By: verteranslugger
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 11:11am
I called and Dan Kaufman listened to my story and took my email address to get back to me. Just came back from vacation to find the lot blocked off and in the 15 seconds I slowed down in the right lane, with my turn signal on, to read the sign that said the slug line was across the street at Wachovia, my passenger said look ahead, the policeman is waving you in. Two cops were in front of the old fish house waving in everyone who slowed down to pull into the Circuit City lot. The police then proceeded to tell me I was causing all sorts of accidents by stopping in the traffic lane (which I didn't, I slowed down), and that he was only going to give me a warning and not a ticket and gave no information about the slug line. The police were causing a traffic jam by waving everyone to pull over into an area that was not enough room to house them. And there were no accidents in sight because most people in the right lane are slowing down to make a right turn any way. I think the Wachovia bank is a good alternative except no one can see the riders. That way, people don't have to jay walk across a dangerous road (which the policeman also complained about -- Jaywalkers). That's my two cents.[:(!]

Posted By: freddy2007
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:28pm
dam cops everywhere this morning...they were issuing warning tickets for drivers pulling on the side and jaywalkers! instead of redirecting traffic...they were being nasty and aggressive about it.

so, the new bob's location is at wachovia? should it be called wachovia from now on instead of bob?

Posted By: DOTslug
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:35pm
While the Wachovia solution is probably the best one for now, you still have people crossing the street in the other direction if they are forced to park near the church. It would be nice if there were more blue parking spaces for commuters than what is currently available.

Is there any way to at least temporarily increase the number of spaces while the Wachovia pickup is being used? Of course, a permanent increase would be better.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:39pm
It's not the cops' job to establish slug lines. It is their job to enforce the laws and help traffic flow smoothly.

Drivers stopping in the right hand lane of a major thoroughfare impeding traffic flow deserve "attention and help" from the cops because those drivers are violating a law and creating an adverse public safety situation.

Don't complain about the cops -- complain about the drivers who create the dangerous situation.

Now, just move the "Bob's" morning line across OKM to the Wachovia.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:53pm
anyone want to move the bob line to springfield mall? would make it easier for everyone..no need to jaywalk or block traffic.

Posted By: verteranslugger
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:54pm
It's not the drivers who were causing traffic this am at 7:55 am, it was the cops! I didn't stop, I slowed to make a right turn, saw the tape and then got flagged into the fish house lot to be screamed at very rudely by a policeman. There was not that much traffic on OKM this am.

They could have more effectively done their job by flagging people on at the Circuit City lot before anyone could "stop" instead of pulling them over after the "jammed" area and yelling rudely at them. I didn't need to know about the accidents I was(n't) causing and about jaywalkers. At that point, once I saw the tape and the sign (thank you to whoever wrote that sign) I had no desire to hang out in the right-hand lane of OKM and would have been very happy to move on without a lecture and having to show my license and registration. The police obviously knew by that time what was transpiring and could have more properly redirected drivers away from the Circuit City entrance.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 1:12pm
would be nice to have a springfield mall or kingstowne line.

Posted By: Linda Waller
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 2:08pm
This message about the Circuit City slug line is from Supervisor Dana Kauffman.

Folks,

I’ve heard you and here’s what we’re doing to help:

Short term, we are trying to get the lot re-opened to sluggers. The Circuit City site is private property and not subject to our direct control.

Long term, I have secured Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ approval to have our staff begin discussions with the owners for possible purchase of the lots to preserve them for use by sluggers and other commuters.

Also, late this year, construction will begin on another park and ride lot on Backlick (at its intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway.) This lot will also offer immediate access for the hot lanes and will provide additional opportunities for sluggers.

The slugging system works and I will do everything I can to keep your private initiative alive and well.

Dana Kauffman
Lee District Supervisor

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 2:08pm
Just got this from Supervisor Kaufman
"Folks,
I’ve heard you and here’s what we’re doing to help:
Short term, we are trying to get the lot re-opened to sluggers. The Circuit City site is private property and not subject to our direct control.
Long term, I have secured Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ approval to have our staff begin discussions with the owners for possible purchase of the lots to preserve them for use by sluggers and other commuters.
Also, late this year, construction will begin on another park and ride lot on Backlick (at its intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway.) This lot will also offer immediate access for the hot lanes and will provide additional opportunities for sluggers.
The slugging system works and I will do everything I can to keep your private initiative alive and well.
Dana Kauffman
Lee District Supervisor

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 2:12pm
Sludge the problem was drivers sure, trying to figure out what to do. With a big line of slugs standing on the side of Old Keene Mill, drivers were slowing (some were stopping) to pick up slugs. But instead of helping with the situation right at the point the cops were sitting 100 yards down the road ticketing drivers.

My point is the cops could have helped direct traffic, and manage the situation, instead they stood by as bystanders and tickted. Seems like a failure of operation to me.

Posted By: pwbnd
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 8:34am
Thanks to those of you who took the time to put up signs @ Bob's!!

Is there anyway that we can position the lines a little better so it's more convenient for the drivers (and safer for riders). At certain times this morning, there was quite a traffic jam with cars stopped on the road because they couldn't get into the parking lot.

If anybody has any good ideas, maybe we could set up the signs to say "Line for 14th/L'Enfant) starts here" and "Line for 18th starts here."

Posted By: Linda Waller
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 1:21pm
We have just received word that the Circuit City slug site will be reopened either tomorrow morning or Friday morning.

Apparently, the site was closed for routine maintenance—resurfacing—and the contractor was not aware of the slug use. The high heat has slowed the asphalt cure time.

If I had to guess, I’d say that with today’s heat and humidity, Friday seems more likely.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 1:27pm
THANK YOU!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net