Print Page | Close Window

What happened this morning?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2953
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 6:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What happened this morning?
Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Subject: What happened this morning?
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 11:27am
From 7:15 to 8 we sat in park on the HOV lanes about a mile back from the PW HOV on ramp. I saw a medivac land and that was all the excitement I could take before passing out in a calm early morning slumber...

Was everyone ok? Does anyone know what happened?

GMHP was hea!

Replies:
Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 4:27pm
WTOP said motorcycle accident.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 4:50pm
It was clogged with Hybrids.

Posted By: dickboyd
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 9:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]From 7:15 to 8 we sat in park on the HOV lanes about a mile back from the PW HOV on ramp. I saw a medivac land and that was all the excitement I could take before passing out in a calm early morning slumber...

Was everyone ok? Does anyone know what happened?

GMHP was hea!

Our gummint at work. Inconvenience the MOST number of people by shutting down a system (HOV)that works to emphasize the need to continue a system that does NOT work (drive alone).

If the HOV lanes were shut down to land an emergency evacuation helicopter, then Virginia once again displays its misdirected policy of catering to drive alones and "mass transit".

Oh well, the slugs will stand mute. They won't say squat, even if they have a mouthfull. But let the precious drive alone feel that he or she is being put upon and political heads will roll.

End of vent. Soapbox back to Get Me Home.

dickboyd@aol.com

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 8:21am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911
[br]It was clogged with Hybrids.

Actually, there has yet to be a recorded incident involving hybrids - this one was a motorcycle.

Get on the bus or buy a hybrid.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but since your player is broken NoSUV, I'll chime in again. Are you going to cough up the extra $8k I need to buy a Hybrid? You really haven't answered me in the other threads/forums.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 8:53am
Thanks Dick, I am short you know, the soapbox always helps when I am trying to see above all the crap you spew that amounts to a bunch of nothing.

For you to be bitter that traffic was stopped so a medivac could land to possibly save someones life, sais a whole lot about what kind of person you are.

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: dickboyd
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 10:32am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Thanks Dick, I am short you know, the soapbox always helps when I am trying to see above all the crap you spew that amounts to a bunch of nothing.

For you to be bitter that traffic was stopped so a medivac could land to possibly save someones life, sais a whole lot about what kind of person you are.

GMHP was hea!

If I may clarify my statement. I feel that Medivac Helicopters are truly lifesavers. I have no problem with the helicopter landing to save a life.

The problem I see is where the powers to be choose to land the helicopter.

The on scene commander makes the call as to where to land the helicopter and where to deploy equipment. These decisions require cooperation between fire/rescue, the police, and highway departments. Lack of cooperation between agencies is a weak area in disaster planning and incident control.

To my way of thinking, the regular lanes would make a better landing site for the the helicopters. Why do I think that way?

1. Fewer people would be inconvenienced by shutting the regular lanes. There are more people in the reversible lanes.

2. The regular lanes have more access to alternate routes. There are more exits on the regular lanes than the reversible lanes. There are more alternate routes from the regular lanes.

3. The regular lanes generally have better access for emergency vehicles.

The Air Florida crash highlighted the need for better cooperation in disasters. Each incident highlights the need for more review of each incident to improve the reaction for the next incident. Or better yet, to avoid the incident.

This is my opinion. The people in the reversible lanes may not realize that the emergency people have options which would work better. For instance, closing the regular lanes rather than the reversible lanes. Closing neither set of lanes and using off road landing with short ground transport to get to the helo.

The media will most likely report how effective the helicopter has been. The media will NOT report on the "murder board" review of the incident.

In this case, as I see it, the lanes to close would have been the regular lanes.

Was the crash in the regular lanes or in the reversible lanes?

Were the variable message signs activated to alert drivers of alternate routes?

Even though the Shirley Highway Control Center is upstairs from the State Police Barracks near the Navy Annex, that doesn't guarantee that the police and highway people are communicating in a timely manner.

I stand by my comment that the people in the reversible lanes will not say squat, even when they have a mouthful. Or if they do say something, it will be to kill the messenger.

dickboyd@aol.com

Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 10:57am
The accident was on the HOV. The helicopter landed on the HOV, which was already closed and stayed closed even after the helicopter left to clear the road. The purpose of closing down the main lanes too?

SHAKE1T

Posted By: happycommuter
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 11:10am
It doesn't matter where the helicopter landed. If it landed in the Northbound regular lanes, HOV lanes, or Southbound regular lanes traffic would of been messed up anyway because of onlookers and of course the accident itself. JUST BE GRATEFUL IT WASN'T YOU!!!!!!! IF TRAFFIC BOTHERS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH THEN MOVE CLOSER TO YOUR JOB TO AVOID THE TRAFFIC, GET A JOB CLOSER TO WHERE YOU LIVE, OR JUST MOVE OUT OF THE AREA TO A LESS CONJESTED AREA AND GET A JOB THERE!!!!!!!! TRAFFIC COJESTION IS A WAY OF LIFE HERE EITHER ON THE WORKDAYS OR WEEKENDS!!!!! YOU WON'T HAVE TO CONTEND WITH IT UNTIL YOU RETIRE SO JUST GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY

Posted By: darkprime
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 12:50pm
Similar thing happened today as the regular lanes were shutdown for an hour (reduced for more) as a medivac had to come in for a 3 car accident.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 12:53pm
Wow. Guess who was stuck longest in the backup (chuckle).

I think the choice of where you land a medevac is based on improving the chances of saving someone's life. You land the chopper as close to the victim as you can. You move fast. You don't spend time worrying about a little inconvenience, or even a lot of inconvenience, to other people.

Caught in the traffic? Too bad. If it was you on the stretcher, what would be your priority then?

Posted By: SlugMedic
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 3:11pm
I believe it is required to stop traffic north AND south on I-95 incase the helo crashes upon landing or takeoff....

Posted By: slugdriverandslugrider
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 3:37pm

quote:

Oh well, the slugs will stand mute. They won't say squat, even if they have a mouthfull. But let the precious drive alone feel that he or she is being put upon and political heads will roll.

I assume this is intended as an insult to the sluggers out there however, your ignorance shines through, let me help you...

Do you mean "mouthful" & "drivers alone feel..."

That's ok Dick, your still perfect in your eyes...

Once again I think Dick has a great point! People just don't recognize true genius. Please, Dick, don't post on here anymore. These people just don't comprehend your advanced arguments. The way that you pour out opinion as if it were fact in such a condescending, yet uninformed manner is simply beyond these plebeians.

Please, Dick, since you are above these people, consider not posting here any longer. As an alternative please converse with someone truly deserving of your stream of consciousness... please converse at length with: dickboyd@aol.com

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 4:25pm
Sadly, SD&SR, dickboyd is not being insulting: he is being descriptive.

Slugdrivers and slugriders alike are uncomplaining lumps of humanity who won't bestir their saggy behinds an inch to save their precious system. A pitiful handful of whiners like me kept showing up at the meetings last year to try and preserve our carpool lanes, and the rest of the slugs sat on their thumbs, oblivious.

It was really disheartening.

So the Rambling Man is right on, in this case. (...and if you can't follow his arguments, don't say he's stupid; it kind of doesn't reflect too well on you, if you get my drift.)

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 7:24pm
I agree. My bet is that 80 percent of the slugs on this site have never sent one email to their county or state representative.

A year or so ago, the discourse here indicated that there were a few people politically active, but I think all of those folks have moved on.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 8:13am
In anwer to this topic, here is what happened Tuesday (with names removed)

Stafford woman injured after being run off the road
A 35-year-old Stafford woman sustained serious internal injuries after being cut off on Interstate 95 and running her motorcycle off the road around 7:02 a.m. Tuesday, said Sgt. Terry Licklider, Virginia State Police spokesman.

_____ of 41 Clark Lane in Stafford was driving in the left lane of northbound I-95 near the Dale City exit, Licklider said, when she hit some "big plastic tubs of sand" that are along the shoulder.

______ ran off the road, Licklider said, apparently as a result of the driver of Honda Civic Hybrid cutting her off when switching lanes.

______, 48, of 2048 Jennings St. in Woodbridge was charged with unsafe lane change.

An update on____ condition was not available at press time. ____ was not injured in the accident.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 8:36am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911
[br]It was clogged with Hybrids.

Actually, there has yet to be a recorded incident involving hybrids - this one was a motorcycle.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but since your player is broken NoSUV, I'll chime in again. Are you going to cough up the extra $8k I need to buy a Hybrid? You really haven't answered me in the other threads/forums.

scottt - you HAVE the money, and EVERYONE knows it! The problem is with your prioritization. Please send me your 1040s for the past 3 years and I will be glad to show you that which you cannot find.

Not going to hijack this thread, so I won't respond here after this. I "HAVE" the $$$? You're basing this on what?

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 8:57am
Thanks Bob, all I asked was the status of the accident, I got a political debate instead!

GMHP was hea!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 9:35am
GMHP, what, you haven't been paying attention all this time?

EVERY subject in here eventually devolves into either toll roads or hybrids. You make an innocent remark about the weather and SpongeBob cries that the sky is falling. You mention the Redskins, and someone else will compare their tailback with tailpipe emissions from a Civic. And if you actually talk about slugging, God forbid, then NoSUV will light you up as a cheap and selfish drone clogging the highway with your body.

No wonder this site has so few general posters. You have to be obsessive about tolls or highbreds to stand this place.

Look out! It's coming down! Did you all hear on WTOP that the head of MDOT gave reporters a tour yesterday touting the glories of toll roads for our sister state?

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 11:11am
I know spongy, I think I'm in slug-lines denial.

Ok fine, off topic-

I saw a HYBRID driver who had the who-who's to have the license plate "HOV" on their car yesterday- Man that pisses me off! You know who you are- and you SUCK!!

I feel better now!

GMHP was hea!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 12:37pm
Not as sucky as the ugly broad with the SLGFRE license plate cruising her high-bred arrogantly along in the carpool lanes. Smoking, too, the nasty thing. [}:)]

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 1:18pm
GET OWT! Sheesh. Doesn't that law end eventually?

GMHP was hea!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 1:23pm
Here are some suggestions for when the exemption ends

outaluk
skrewed
nohov4me
reglanes!
slowlane
idlin'
w8sted_$
lowbred

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 1:47pm
Probably won't need those until the carpool exemption ends. After all, momentum in both houses still strongly swinging toward continuing the exemption indefinately. No reports from VDOT about any increases in congestion over the past year.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 3:03pm
SpongeBob's continual advocacy has convinced me to be skeptical ...

It looks like everyone, yes, EVERYONE (to include carpools, HOV3 slug cars, hybrids, motorcycles, SOVs, commuting law enforcement officer, etc.) will be paying the toll to use the HOT lanes.

On the brighter side, the people in cars with more than one SOB (that's Souls OnBoard) can pitch in their share of the toll. If it's $35.00 from Dumfrees to DC as someone posted earlier, that's about $11.67 per occupant when there are 3 people in a car. Do you think many SOV hybrid and other SOV drivers can afford to pay the whole $35 to drive alone on the HOT lanes?

I'm just happy that I should be retiring and relocating away from NoVA and the I-95/395 toll road before it becomes a reality.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 11:33am
OH Bump...

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2006 at 10:15am

Oy! Sludge, I hope you are wrong. If that is the case, most of the workers south of the HOV lines might as well find lower income employment locally, instead of making the 40+ mile hike north five days a week.

In other news- I saw a pukey mustard colored hybrid with the license plate "OFFNSV" (offensive) on Tuesday...they keep getting weirder and weirder.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

GMHP was hea!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net