Print Page | Close Window

Zipping (Merging Phenom)

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2994
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 2:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Zipping (Merging Phenom)
Posted By: Sticky Bandaid
Subject: Zipping (Merging Phenom)
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 11:31am
I can't decide if zipping is a good thing or not. Does it contribute to better flow of traffic, less of a backup, or does it increase blood pressure, cause accidents, etc.?

Replies:
Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:18pm
??

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: phreakingeek
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:40pm
It's a good thing, but only if the original file benefits from compression. Some files are no smaller after being zipped.

all joking aside...not sure what you mean by zipping in relation to driving in traffic...care to elaborate for the more ignorant masses?

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:48pm
[:p] and if you don't zip it up, it might fall out! [:p]

Same question as 'geek and 'pweeze - what in the world are you talking about?

Posted By: Sticky Bandaid
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:08pm
zipping = merging at the exit instead of everybody lining up in the exit lane.

zipping = one coming off interstate, another going on the interstate.

Y'all must be from the south whar such a thang's never bin heard of. [:D]

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:20pm
Any one element moving in a system that is only concerned about its own progress sends ripples throughout the system which magnify at the far ends of introduction. Consider the slinky. Most know what I mean when you observe a slinky in action.

Now, hows that apply to traffic. One doesn't have to look far. Consider the post-merge environment on I-95 south of mile marker 152 in the afternoon. There can be no incidents at all down to mile marker 130 and you'll have at least 4 slinkies in operation during that stretch of road. Slowdowns for no apparent reason. My hypothesis is that tailgating is a major cause of those slinkies. If folks followed at a reasonable distance and speed throughout the system, the slinkies would be reduced if not eliminated resulting in an overall decrease to everyone's travel time. It's a hypothesis only, but one has to admit it has some measure of merit.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:31pm

Y'all must be from the south whar such a thang's never bin heard of. [:D]

I'ma Yankee..I drive my cah on the pahkway. And I don' stop or slow down ta look at flat tires, or cah accidents!!

Zipping doesn't seem like it would make a difference, anyone who rides HOV to the end would know that.

Posted By: Moody Girl
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][:p] and if you don't zip it up, it might fall out! [:p]

Hee Hee [:I] Thanks for the giggle.

Posted By: Elemental
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 2:06pm
One good thing about California - they know how to do the zipper when merging - and it really helped the flow of traffic. Of course, the on-ramps had alternating lights for the different lanes of traffic to create the zipper, but even without lights, most drivers still zipped and it worked really well. Other than the weather, that might be the only positive I have to say about CA, but that's a different story.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 2:09pm
Ah...LI,NY has the the stop-go lights leading onto the HWY also, now that I think of it, they did help a bit.

GMHP was hea!

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 3:45pm
Zipping helps traffic flow. Want a great example check the HOV bridge right at the city.

The area where the merge starts a bunch of cars cut right over and the traffic slows, up at the end when the lane runs out everyone just rolls into place and the line keeps moving. If all the cars lined up, merged where they were supposed to one at a time the whole thing would move quickly, but cars cut in, then get passed by another car, and the result is the main lane slows.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 5:11pm
So, it's not zipping from lane to lane at overly high speeds endangering life and limb of everyone on the highway! [B)]
Wonderful! [8D]

But don't see it actually working around here on the NoVA highways. [:(]
There are just too many "me-first-ers"![V]

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 10:07am
(An aside from the thread... Hey, Elemental, did you drive on any of California's vaunted toll roads? What was your experience with them?)

Thanks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Posted By: Galah
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 10:39am
Tend to agree that zipping, as defined, is a good thing, but not uniformly implemented in this country, some states encourage their drivers to merge as soon as possible and NOT wait till the end of the merge lane (and post signs that say this). Given the regions scarcity of permanent resisdents .....we're stuck in the muddle

Disagree about tailgating causing the slinky affect on I-95 south of exit 152, That's trucks trying to go uphills. Ever see what happens when a truck doing 66 mph tries to pass a truck doing 65 mph, going uphill...it can take a while...then add the car in the left lane who is doing 67 mph (he USED to be in the right lane, but now he's passing those two trucks....) heck it'll take those folks 3 hills before they complete THAT manoeuvre.....

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 10:43am
In case you didn't know ... Those stop-go lights are at several N&S-bound on-ramps for the I-395 regular lanes at places like Landmark, Quaker Lane, King Street, Seminary Road, etc.

Do they work? Not really. Most cars on the ramp just ignore them. And the lights aren't activated until 6:30 in the AM and 3:30 in the PM.

We wonder if turning on the morning lights a 1/2 hour earlier would reduce the usual morning backup at Duke Street/Landmark.
But since drivers ignore the lights anyway, probably not.

Posted By: Elemental
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 11:51am
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br](An aside from the thread... Hey, Elemental, did you drive on any of California's vaunted toll roads? What was your experience with them?)

Thanks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Can't give you any input there, no toll roads in my area. I did occasionally use the toll roads in Orange county, but only after hours when they were open to all traffic...

Posted By: Oosik
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 12:37pm
In Germany they actually teach drivers to use all lanes and then merge at the end. This system works and often prevents cars from building up to reach into moving car lanes. More importantly, it prevents @#$%^*%'s, who bypass all the cars, from going to to the head of the line and trying to cut in. Zipping is effective and I have seen it done in many places in this area. The only problem is the guy who doesn't want to wait his turn and tries to squeeze in when it's the other guy's turn. I guess another problem is that you may come across a situation where a traffic build up has already begun and only one lane is being utilized. If you bypass all the cars and try to start a second merge lane, you might be the one considered to be the @#$%^*%.

Posted By: sable2
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 10:41am
Ok.. so that's what common sense is called... "zipping"... Hmm!

Enjoy!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net