Print Page | Close Window

Lorton?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3055
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lorton?
Posted By: NickW
Subject: Lorton?
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 3:06pm
Does anyone Slug from Lorton? I see on the sites that there are stops but I don't know if anyone uses them. If anyone does, I'd be willing to drive to the Pentagon or Roslynn

Replies:
Posted By: twtrojan
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2006 at 11:17pm
I am moving to Lorton very soon and I am looking for a carpool to the Pentagon. Have you determined if any one uses the slug lines at the Lorton Shell or VRE?

Posted By: L-Slug
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 4:02pm
There is slugging in Lorton, in the VRE parking lot, in the morning but no real established line in the afternoon (at least from my limited experience). Most of the time drivers go to Pentagon or Lenfant Plaza. Only been in the Lorton area for a little over a year and have been disappointed in the slugging options. I make the trek to Bob's but you have to get there early because parking is limited and often not available after 7:15/7:20am.

Posted By: slughere
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 12:06am
hello,

I see that I'm a month over replying to your topic I was just wondering if you were able to find any thing else out about the lorton slug line I'm new to this and I'm in the Lorton area and I travel to Rosslyn as well.

Posted By: mybelle
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 4:50pm
I am also late in replying to your topic..I am in need of getting to Rosslyn and I come from Springfield, Va (just north of Lorton)

Posted By: Lorton-Slugger
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2007 at 9:04pm
I'm in Lorton and work in Rosslyn. If anyone has any good slugging advice for that route (I've found it difficult), or wants to start a carpool, I'd be up for it. I drive a pickup, so driving 3 is difficult, but I'm sure we can work something out. Hours are somewhat flexible. Email me!

Posted By: victorhugoa
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 5:10pm
There is always the option at Bob's, you only need to be there before 7:40 a.m.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 7:06am
Another option ... You can drive north on Hooes Road from Lorton, then get on the eastbound FC Parkway, exit at the next exit (Sydenstricker), then use the slug line at the Sydenstricker commuter lot to get to Rosslyn (or at least the Pentagon).

Posted By: bdowner
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2007 at 6:02pm
Anyone interested in getting picked up at the Mall around 8:10 for a ride in to Rosslyn on the HOV?

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2007 at 12:55pm
Lots of people are, or have been interested in this over the years. All the ground work has been laid for some time; Mall management approved and dedicated several hundred parking spaces in the South parking lot, information was posted on this site, and many people have tried to get things going at the Mall. I have been an active promoter; posted messages, distributed fliers, talked to anyone who would listen (and lots did listen), and I went to the Mall both as a driver and rider. Usually I would wait for 5 or ten minutes and no one would show up, so I'd go back to Bob's. Oh well!

Maybe when they close the lot and start building at Bob's other options will pop up.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2007 at 2:12pm
One option for a slug line in that area will be the new commuter lot to be built at the interchange of the Franconia-Springfield Parkway and Backlick Road. We need to check with VDOT to see if it's still on the books.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2007 at 7:22am
The Backlick Rd (at the F-S Parkway) commuter lot project is still on the books. [:)]

From the VDOT website pages, it appears VDOT called for bids in late 2006 and then reported several bids received in late January. Looks like this project (# 7900-029-363) started in 2004. There's no info at the VDOT website about a contract award.

For anyone interested in seeing the plans for this commuter lot, go to http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/nova/fairfax-rt7900BacklickRd-parkandride_PubDisplays.asp , and then click on the "Color Display" link.

Posted By: L-Slug
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2007 at 11:51am
Thanks for the information on the Backlick Rd lot. I actually noticed yesterday that trees in the proposed area were cut down...perhaps a sign that work officially started. However this doesn't really address the Lorton slugging question.

L-slug

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2007 at 1:23pm
Agree that it wouldn't be a good option for Lorton.
I should have clarified that this F-S Parkway lot might be an option for the "Bob's" line if that line had to shut down and for those who would like to slug from the Springfield Mall area. raymond had mentioned an option needed other than "Bob's" for those that tried and were unsuccessful to get a line going at S'Mall.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net