Print Page | Close Window

Annoying Slugs

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3088
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 10:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Annoying Slugs
Posted By: sluggie_pants
Subject: Annoying Slugs
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 3:08pm
I have been slugging for many years and now I am a driver. A few of the slugs I've been stuck standing in line with all of these years, I now have to pick up. Unfortunately there are a few slugs that I just can't stand because they drive me crazy.

Is there a polite way to reject them if they are standing in the front of the line when I pull up? Or should I just pick them up and endure their annoyances? I willingly admit that I have passed by a slug line (even though there was a line of people waiting) and went and picked up at a different location when the person in the front of the line is a person who will drive me crazy if I pick them up and I just didn't feel like having to deal with them. Sometimes a driver just wants a break and to be able to have a peaceful trip. A few of these slugs make that impossible. They really can annoy you to death.

I always pick up as many slugs as possible when the line is long. Afterall, I've stood in line with these people for many years and appreciate the thoughtfulness. I keep the music down and just tell the slugs to let me know if the car temperature is uncomfortable or whatever.

So, I try my best to let the slugs know how much I appreciate them riding with me. However, the small number of slugs who are rude and obnoxious don't ruin the entire bunch.

Any suggestions?

Should I just bare it and pick up the annoying slugs and deal with it?

Or is there a way to say politely...

"Hey, I don't want you in my car. You annoy the crap out of me and I'd love to just have some peace and quiet without you either talking me to death with stupid comments, talking about every topic possible under the "don't talk about when slugging rule" (I get embarassed just listening to you), falling over on my shoulder and practically slobbering on me when you're in the front seat....and then comes your snoring. Also, my car is not a beauty polar. I know when I pick you up you'll open up your suitcase and start decorating your face. Then comes the perfume...enough to knock out most of the slug line if applied outdoors. I don't mind cell phone calls....but do you really need to talk for an hour straight....loud at that! I just need a break once in a while!"

I would just love to say when I see one of the few in line...."Next slug, please!" But then I do realize that you can't always get what you want....and that applies to slugging, too...

Replies:
Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 3:41pm

Oh my....I think we all (or most of us) have done at least one of the above at least once in our own personal slugging histories...

should we all stop slugging to save you the misery??

In all seriousness, you totally have the rite to pass on a slug, your car, your rules. BUT- as a slug and an overly sensitive one at that, I think it would be hard to politely pass on a slug without putting yourself out there as rude/insensitive/picky...

As a slug I have "avoided" drivers because of the way they drive, the way their car smells, their overly social/poitical/religious conversations....

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Posted By: sluggie_pants
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

As a slug I have "avoided" drivers because of the way they drive, the way their car smells, their overly social/poitical/religious conversations....

I've also done the same thing when I slug. It is a very rare occurrence...and when you slug for a while, you get to know who you should try to avoid for the reasons you stated.

So, are you saying, as a slug, it's your right to pass drivers by (why would drivers not feel the same way you stated in your reply?)...but as a driver...you should just deal with it. Shouldn't it go both ways? What's the difference?

Posted By: Galah
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 4:15pm
Your car, your rules. If they talk to much, don't answer, turn the radio up (talk radio or NPR is suitably distracting, after all, you really want to hear that story on the radio). Temperture control and the vent fans for the beauty Parlor, directed at yourself, not the slug of course. Applying the brakes can take care of a leaner or a snorer, usually. I haven't rejected a rider, but I will admit that, beyond good morning, I don't encourage conversation.
Of course, maybe no one WANTS to talk to me.....

Posted By: sable2
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 5:56pm
Well, I don't know if the girl at the front of the line was annoying, but the driver I was with today passed her up for me, the second in line. I was extremely glad to get a ride, but *gulp* I felt bad for the girl in front.

Enjoy!

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 7:11am
S'Pants,
If you're that annoyed, intollerant, inflexible, and touchy in dealing with some people's quirks, just find a couple of slugs that you can tolerate -- and have them meet you in another location in the lot away from the slug line. (That's a "will call".)

It's a real shame that all slugs don't fit into your mold to be good enough to ride in your car. Just realize that you too probably have quirks that annoy others. Sluggin', like the rest of life, is a two-way street.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 11:29am

Squeeze me?? Baking powder??? I HARDLY think that what S'pants is looking for is out of line and entirely within the "rules" outlined on this very website. Totally agree that a car pool MAY be more appropriate, but it is NOT out of line to ask for some respectful consideration of the shared space created by our preferred mode of travel.

It certainly is MUCH easier for a slug to turn down a ride with a driver they would prefer not to ride with than it is for a driver to turn down a rider they KNOW consistantly exhibits bad behavior.

S'pants is just asking advice so she can politely refuse rather than having to losing it some morning and launching into a tirade.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 11:40am
Do the will-call thing -- you know, point at someone you know and can tolerate on the slug line. I've never heard of anyone objecting to that. Too bad if they do anyway.

Posted By: litaru
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 1:51pm
I agree with the other suggestions. It goes both ways, if you're an "undesirable driver" than the rider should have the right to pass and if you're an "undesirable rider" than the driver should have the right to pass as well.

The whole process is too wierdly symbiotic to make it personal. I completely understand where sluggie_pants is coming from (I've actually asked friends and family to be quieter while I'm driving) so maybe if you simply say "Let's just enjoy the drive or the music or the scenery". Not everyone gets the increase-the-volume hint.

[8D]

M

Posted By: slugdriverandslugrider
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 3:39pm
What you have to do is get an air horn and a spray bottle filled with water and vinegar. Then when they talk blow the horn in their face. When they slobber on you spray them while chanting "Bad Slug! Bad Slug!

Really though, I would say the best option is to be upfront and tell them that you would rather not talk on the trip, been a tough day, need some time to think... going to be a tough day, need some time to prepare... whatever you wish.

Insensitive or situationally unaware, most people don't realize they are being perceived as annoying.

Now.... If the situation continues or reoccurs then I would agree you would be justified in passing on that person.

Most people will respect your request to pipe down on the persiflage permanently rather than risk being passed over in procession.

"Everyone deserves a second chance" - Darryl Strawberry
"Everyone deserves a third chance" - Darryl Strawberry
"Everyone deserves a fourth chance" - Darryl Strawberry
"Everyone deserves a fifth chance" - Darryl Strawberry

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 3:49pm
Driver sets that rules. Driver can call out any rider in line, or reject any driver in line without cause.

Posted By: gt4wjb
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 3:51pm
You shouldn't have to wait until they get in your car to tell them anything. When you pull up to announce your destination, or when they open the door to get into your car, you should just say, "I'm sorry, I won't be able to take you today." Then ask who's next. Hopefully, they'll avoid your car the next time you arrive at the line. If not, just repeat the same thing.

LongTimeSlugger

Posted By: Dcole96
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 3:54pm

SlugdriverandSlugrider,

I really needed that laugh before the weekend.....Thanks!...lol.

[:D]

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 3:57pm
Galah,
It's apparent the S'Pants recognizes and admits he/she has issues in getting along with some in the slugging world. That's a big first step.

If certain slugs push S'Pant's issues button that much, S'Pants has every right to pick up only slugs he/she can tolerate by either forming a car pool or being brave enough to "will call" slugs that don't disturb him/her. That's what several of us recommended.

Also, a good anger management therapist might be able to help S'Pants address the issues and help him/her become more tolerant of others.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 9:46am
Tolerant? Who wants to be tolerant!

Tolerance has gotten all confused and mixed up with the idea of personal rights. You have a right to vote, a right to an education, a right to live where you want and do the work that pleases you. You can pursue happiness and believe in whatever God you like.

But you don't have a right to be a boor, to ignore the generally held societal norms, to annoy other people with your (music, opinions, bodily parts, etc.), or to act any way you want just because "it's a free country."

S'pants (who is not Squarepants, mind you,) is not being intolerant of others. I'd say he's doing his best to avoid a confrontation with idiots. He's not the problem; the problem is the people who think they can act any ole way they want in public, just because.

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 11:04am
SpongeBob, I was just going to say the same thing. And truth be told I think almost everyone feels the same way. There were very good suggestions on how to avoid these undesirables. He just needs to implement one of them.

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 3:49pm
Here's another point of view on this subject: SLuggie_pants should have said something to the offending slugger at the very start. The slugger will then avoid SLuggie_pants car knowing that he will be corrected and shamed again, unless he changed his behavior.

Some people are oblivious with their actions and need to be set straight, in a kindly manner, especially if you don’t want deal with confrontation. Admittedly, I’ve had to be shown the light on certain matters, although not necessarily with slugging. As a driver you should not let the annoying behavior of others to slide – it will eat you up inside.

Goober

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 3:52pm
Can't we all just get along?!

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 4:05pm
It's sad but we all can't get along.

I'd like to think I'm in the category of courteous and considerate drivers and sluggers. But then there's this other category...

Goober

Posted By: mooreniecy
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 5:54pm
OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS -
****PLEASE HELP TO ORGANIZE BETTER PICKUP UP AT 234***
TO AVOID ONE LONG LINE OF CARS, to pick up ONE long line of slugs!
I SUGGEST DIVIDING THE SLUGGERS UP LIKE "HORNER ROAD".

LET'S CREATE 3 SPECIFIC LINES...I.E:

PENTAGON - (stet) - STANDS ON THE BLOCK (where EVERYONE USUALLY stands)
Drivers, will drive around to pick up sluggers as done before...

(stet) - SINCE, SOME DRIVERS DROP OFF SLUGGERS AT THE TOP OF FIRST ISLE
I SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING SPECIFIC SLUGGERS USE THE 2ND AND 3RD ISLES TO LINE UP...I.E: HERE'S THE PLAN!!!! ***********

14 STREET -
Drivers will enter 234, drive straight back, come up SECOND isle AND pick up slugs lined up AT THE TOP RIGHT SIDE OF that ISLE. Safe for sluggers to stand there, parking spots already filled.

La'Fant Plaza/OTHER destination -
Drivers will enter 234, drive straight back, come up THIRD isle AND pick up slugs standing AT THE TOP RIGHT side of that ISLE. Safe for sluggers to stand there too, those parking spots ARE filled.'

OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS!!!
PLEASE HELP TO ORGANIZE BETTER PICKUP UP AT 234...
VERY ANXIOUS TO SEE YOUR RESPONSES!!!

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 8:22am
Mooreniecy....suggest you start a new topic or this will get buried under slug ettiquitte instead of having it's own discussion thread.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 1:51pm
Much of S_pants' challenges would be less an issue if our society practiced a bit more courtesy and respect towards others. The thread itself even started to devolve into something less than what we were all created to be.

Here's to an increased awareness on all our parts of the need for courtesy and respect for all. It starts with me, if I practice more of the same, maybe others will catch on too.

Just a thought. Thank you for your time.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: deaspy
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 2:25pm
Dude you may tell anyone to not get into your car. Look up an old thread here about stinky lady (slugged from rt 3 when it started).

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 11:24am
NoSB,
I try to practice what you preach but the discourteous and disrespectful appear to be taking over everything. That doesn't mean that I've turned into one of those types, but it's just an observation.

Goober

Posted By: rporter
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 11:32am
As a slug exclusively, I have on occasion passed up on rides for one reason or another. It's easier to be 'polite' as a slug than a driver. A simple and low confrontational option would be to take the slug one more time, and prior to dropping them off, tell them that you can't take them again and why.

If they try to ride with you again, then you can be more rude about it - and explain to the slugs that you do pick up that you tried privately suggesting that they not ride with you again.

P.S. If it's me, I appologize for the snoring and drooling.

"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt

Posted By: LDOMAJ
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 8:16am
Bumping subject up over spam

Posted By: Mommee705
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 9:27am
These are some good suggestions. I, too have been a rider and a driver. There are some really annoying riders and I've never been sure how to go about avoiding the ones who just put their cigarette out before opening my car door, or the ones who hate to be silent and share the same story every time they get into your car.
I'll definitely have to keep these in mind.

J's Mommee

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 3:53pm
Hi Mommee, (you're not really my mommee, are you!?) You should feel free to give the smoker-right-up-to-the-car-exhaler-in-the-car the boot! Or ask them to hang their head out the window until they purge their lungs of that nasty exhaled smoke.

Posted By: darkprime
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 8:30am
Speaking of smoke, i hate it when I get into a car and once inside discover that it's been a smoking car. Usually once I sit down the car begins to move, giving me little or no chance to get out. I appreciate it that the person is driving, but which all cars picking up slugs were smoke free. Holding your breath from woodbridge to rosslyn isn't fun.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 8:56am
I'm always concerned about that smoke smell whenever we do the occassional drive instead of slugging in. Hubby is a smoker, so I usually go on a febreze frenzy the night before on the interior!!

(besides I hate that smell myself, as an X-smoker..)

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 9:04am
quote:
Originally posted by darkprime
[br]Speaking of smoke, i hate it when I get into a car and once inside discover that it's been a smoking car. Usually once I sit down the car begins to move, giving me little or no chance to get out. I appreciate it that the person is driving, but which all cars picking up slugs were smoke free. Holding your breath from woodbridge to rosslyn isn't fun.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 9:06am
I guess the first one dropped my response.

Oh well, maybe it's fate. Enough said! [:)]

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 9:19am
GMHP, why can't you get your husband to quit like you did?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 9:55am

Congratulations GMHP, I'm glad to hear you are still clean!!!

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 2:16pm
If you're considering kids soon, it's best that he quit, too. Second hand smoke is certainly not good for the little one.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 3:52pm
Thanks all! He is actually in the process of quitting now, using the cutting down a little at a time method, thats what I did. One day at a time!!

Safe slugging tonight!!

Posted By: Freud
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 3:26pm
quote:
[br]Speaking of smoke, i hate it when I get into a car and once inside discover that it's been a smoking car. Usually once I sit down the car begins to move, giving me little or no chance to get out. I appreciate it that the person is driving, but which all cars picking up slugs were smoke free. Holding your breath from woodbridge to rosslyn isn't fun.

I hate it when slugs get ready to get in your car and loudly exclaim, "Ugh! You smoke!" and then removes the one half of his body that he had in your car, out of it.

I had that happen to me once and I was so mortified that I zoomed out of the lot and drove in the main lanes alone.

Part of the reason of why I was so intrigued with the hybrid and driving alone.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 3:31pm
The slug could have been kinder about it or apologetic, as in saying "I'm sorry, I can't breathe well with the smoke" or something like that. If you think it's rude for a slug to pass on a smokey car (they don't know it's smokey until they open the door), then it would seem you think it's rude for a person to leave a smoke filled restaurant or any other area that has a smoker.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 4:00pm
quote:
[br]The slug could have been kinder about it or apologetic, as in saying "I'm sorry, I can't breathe well with the smoke" or something like that. If you think it's rude for a slug to pass on a smokey car (they don't know it's smokey until they open the door), then it would seem you think it's rude for a person to leave a smoke filled restaurant or any other area that has a smoker.

I don't think its rude for the slug to pass on a smoky car - I can understand why...either because the smell is repulsive or because they are allergic.

However, I didn't appreciate the way he handled it.

OK, I think you knew doggone well what the point of my post was: that the guy was rude, but chose to go on a tangent to be a nerdcock anyhow.

So here I go:

IMO, seems like slugs ask more of the drivers than the other way around.

"I am tired of listening to NPR."

"You drive too slow."

"You drive too fast."

"You won't take 3!" ::::stomps off and belittles driver throughout the slug line:::

"Why DON'T you drop me off at the front door of my office!"

"Your butt is too fat."

"Your hair looks like crap."

And, the list goes on and on.

And, you're getting a FREE freakin ride.

And, God forbid if the driver asks the slug to wrap up a long cell phone call, stop putting makeup on in the car, and to not eat breakfast on the way to work.

Did I totally go off into left field or what?? Jeez!

And for the record, I am not a smoker that smokes inside of my home and when I smoke inside of my car, its with the window all the way down no matter how cold it is with my cigarette pointing outside.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 4:21pm
I was uncertain if you were offended because of how he responded or that there was any response. Like I said in my post, I thought he could have been more polite.

You must pick up a lot of bad riders. I have yet to see (or hear of) more than 1 of the complaints in your list over the past 8 months I've been slugging.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 7:47pm
Freud,
Are you OK?
Kick back, enjoy life a bit more, and don't sweat all the trivial stuff.
It's really not that big a deal.
Go have a smoke if that calms you down.[;)]

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 12:43pm
Moving subject up over spam

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 9:46am

Dude, THAT was a HECK of a rant!

I'm guessing your new years resolution was to quit smoking...

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 1:39pm
I was expecting to catch it for my tirade...I haven't quit smoking YET -- I think I was PMSing...ok, I KNOW I was PMSing. LOL

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 3:43pm
Wow, Freud. There are some rude slugs out there. Maybe some Midol would help? (snicker)

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 3:46pm
Your car your rules pants; however, if you start passing up slugs, you can expect them to pass you up in the future.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 10:34am
Hey Freud, those are some pent up anger issues! Ever think about seeing a therapist?

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 10:58am
Been getting in some STEENKY cars lately. One word- Febreze!! I appreciate the ride, but should not have to endure your hamster cage/cigarette funk during the process! You KNOW who you are.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 11:16am
There's a couple cars that I have ridden in a couple times and now know to skip due to their scents and trash in the car. Just a week ago I passed on one of those cars for the first time.

Also on the topic of scent are the women drivers and riders who insist on using an entire bottle of perfume in the morning. Yes, there is such thing as too much of a good thing.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 11:59am
I admit it, my level of tolerance to scent/scum issues is directly related to weather conditions! When its bitter cold, rainy, blustery, etc. I'll ride in anything with wheels that's going my way.

Driving habits are another issue! I have passed several cars that I know to be reckless drivers, regardless of the weather. I'll also warn other riders in line about the hazardsChaulk it up to personal preference!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 10:24am
lol..bump again.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 3:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]my level of tolerance to scent/scum issues is directly related to weather conditions! When its bitter cold, rainy, blustery, etc. I'll ride in anything with wheels that's going my way.

I rode in a convertible one day when it was a bit chilly. He had the top down. I was still thankful for the ride--at least I think I thanked him when I got out of the car with the top half of my head numbed from the cold!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 9:15am

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 7:16am

Posted By: victorhugoa
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 5:13pm
The point is tolerance and respect from both ends

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 8:19am
Just a not-had my coffee yet compliant:

Dear fellow slug,

At 6:30 in the morning, half asleep and cold, standing in line with oh, about 30 other random strangers, NO ONE wants to hear the cutesy banter you share with your beau and what your plans are for the day, week or month. We DONT care about your personal life, nor do we want to hear about it. Thanks, a fellow slug, who likes their privacy- kept that way.

Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 8:45am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Just a not-had my coffee yet compliant:

Dear fellow slug,

At 6:30 in the morning, half asleep and cold, standing in line with oh, about 30 other random strangers, NO ONE wants to hear the cutesy banter you share with your beau and what your plans are for the day, week or month. We DONT care about your personal life, nor do we want to hear about it. Thanks, a fellow slug, who likes their privacy- kept that way.

Did the man have a goatee and was he wearing a hat?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 1:13pm
Nope- the slug in question was a she..there are many more out there!

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 3:46pm
So ... did the woman have a goatee, and was she wearing a hat?
Curious Minds Want To Know! [:)]
Now,that would be one "annoying slug"! [:p]

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 11:47am
Once again, slugs on their cell phones- we picked up two slugs last night- yes, we are now drivers, yay! The woman who gets in behind my hubby, whos driving, proceeds to spend the entire 45 minute ride on her phone. She not only spent the entire time on the phone, she made a few calls. Arrgghh!! MY CAR IS NOT A PHONE BOOTH!!! Just had to vent.

Posted By: GlowingSlug
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 12:56pm
getmehomepweeze,

Did you happen to pick her up from Pentagon to 610 Stafford-Mine Road? I had an experience like that last week and am wondering if it's the same person.

Posted By: IH8TRAFFIC
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 2:38pm
Easy solution to cell talkers, of course this would affect you also, so there is the give and take. GET A CELL PHONE JAMMER. READ BELOW:

The SH066PL2A/B is a portable cell-phone jammer that sells for $293. The SH066PL2A/B will get you a security bubble of about 30 feet, and it's camouflaged to look like a cell phone, so you can leave it out on a restaurant table and no one will know you're the source of the blissful silence in the room.

Posted By: IH8TRAFFIC
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 2:48pm
Goto this website for cellular jammers:

http://www.cell-phone-jammers.com/

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 3:41pm
I'm already spending enough $ between DC parking and gas- I'm not spending the cash on a cell jammer for the (hopefully)occasional rude slug.

My question is- because I (being the fact it's MY car) made a 4 minute phone call to check in with a family member, did that give her the unspoken permission to use my car as a phone booth? Keep in mind the other slug also recieved about 3 calls, all were short and to the point, dinner plans etc. which does not bother me. Was I at fault?

We picked up from DC to Mine Rd.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 9:53am
gmhp, I'm surprised at you - you ALWAYS have a quick retort on line here but didn't rebuke a rude inconsiderate slug??!! Next time - definitely speak up. Even the driver should keep their phone calls short and to the point, especially due to the fact that you are carrying future liabilities with you if your calling results in an accident.

Posted By: AveMaria
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 10:54am
I don't see the rider as being rude b/c GMHP set the tone of the drive by using her cell phone.

Perhaps the rider didn't KNOW that the number of calls doesn't annoy GMHP, but the length of the calls would.

Gimme a break.

In my opinion GMHP (like SO many other slugs) is a certified complainer whether driving or slugging.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 9:58am
Ohio7- I was more annoyed for my husband than myself, she was sitting directly behind him chattering away as he was driving. I thought it not only rude- but distracting. He gave me the occasional smile and eye roll. In a situation like that, you spend 1/2 the ride saying to yourself, "Ok, she'll make her point and get off in a minute", the other 1/2 trying to figure out how to say MY CAR IS NOT A PHONE BOOTH!!

Ave- I hope the next time you drive and pick up a slug they sit behind you for 45 minutes making various calls chatting up their girlfriends about their boyfriends poor behavior. Let's see how you like it.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 10:21am
GMHP: I have experienced this more than once and I can honestly say that a person chatting on a cell phone (and the other trivial things most of you come on this board and complain about) is a minimal price to pay as opposed to enduring having to sit in the regular lanes where traffic is crawling and my commute time likely doubled.

If something/someone REALLY annoyed me, as you and others proclaim, trust me I would confront the person face-to-face vice complaining about it on a message board. How is that going to remedy anything?

I'd offer that we all just appreciate the remaining time we have until HOT goes into effect, however "annoying" it is.

Posted By: CJ
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:43am
This has happened to me a couple of times when driving. I waited until the person got off the phone and then started asking for details on the call. Heck, I like gossip as much as the next person. Obviously, the slug didn't appreciate me asking about her divorce and said as much, I replied "you're right, its not my business! So why did I just have to listen to it for 15 minutes?". I'm sure that person avoids my car now-which is just fine with me. There are plenty of great slugs out there!

CJ

Posted By: Elemental
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 12:58pm
I like your tactic there CJ! I have confronted a rider about a cell phone call that lasted the entire way into the city one morning, but your idea is much more entertaining than my approach. Hope there won't be a next time, but if there is I'm doing this too!

quote:
Originally posted by CJ
[br]This has happened to me a couple of times when driving. I waited until the person got off the phone and then started asking for details on the call. Heck, I like gossip as much as the next person. Obviously, the slug didn't appreciate me asking about her divorce and said as much, I replied "you're right, its not my business! So why did I just have to listen to it for 15 minutes?". I'm sure that person avoids my car now-which is just fine with me. There are plenty of great slugs out there!

CJ

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 11:39am
You guys have got to be kidding. If someone doesn't behave the way you think they ought to, speak up, or fume by yourself. What are they going to do, smack you upside the head? Ok, that is possible given the lunacy that goes on, so I'm sure you know who to confront. Now, if you confront them and they still won't behave, bring them to light on this board.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 1:55pm
Ok, so Goober and Ave are so much high and mightier than the rest of us, we should be ashamed of ourselves for venting, on a topic, that was clearly started for that reason.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 2:54pm
So many people like you rarely stand up to confront a person face-to-face but you SURE are quick to lash out at people behind the anonimity of the internet.

Alas, I'm bored with you...[B)]

...please carry on with your pointless whining, er venting.

Posted By: Dcole96
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 12:40pm
I think the main reason people (myself included)put things out on this site is only to vent. Because the majority of things that go on at the lines or in the car are minor, and we get over it after a couple of days. We occasionally write things on this site because we want to talk to people who understand and can relate. In reality, if something has pissed someone off that bad, then they have already confronted them. They, in turn, come to the message boards to vent, knowing that confronting someone is not always the answer. Sometimes could create a bigger problem.

So if you want to complain to someone who can relate, then I'm all ears!!!
[:p]

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 2:13pm

Great attitude Dcole and I heartily endorse the sentiment
Even from my seat on the bus, I can still relate to slugs and drivers

Posted By: CJ
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 6:11pm
Depending on the situation, I may confront someone. I am by no means a timid person, but I am not going to confront a complete stranger whose reaction I have no idea what it will be, when they are in my car or I am in theirs (I drive and slug)going 70mph on a major highway. Most people I work with think I'm nuts for letting strangers in my car or getting into strangers cars, anyway. God only knows what you might say to set someone off!

CJ

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2007 at 7:52am
Annoying slugs? I thought it wasn't possible?

The newspaper/kleenex leavers, the cell phone talkers, the too cold/too hot whiners, the door slammers, the take 3 negotiaters, the slug-line nazis, the snorers/gas passers, the perfume people, the unclean.

No, never an annoying slug.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: Our Mom Spot
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

This has happened to me a couple of times when driving. I waited until the person got off the phone and then started asking for details on the call. Heck, I like gossip as much as the next person. Obviously, the slug didn't appreciate me asking about her divorce and said as much, I replied "you're right, its not my business! So why did I just have to listen to it for 15 minutes?". I'm sure that person avoids my car now-which is just fine with me. There are plenty of great slugs out there!

CJ

(((Applause)))

Are you a mom?

Visit OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!

Posted By: janmanzer411
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 5:30am
quote:
Originally posted by gt4wjb

You shouldn't have to wait until they get in your car to tell them anything. When you pull up to announce your destination, or when they open the door to get into your car, you should just say, "I'm sorry, I won't be able to take you today." Then ask who's next. Hopefully, they'll avoid your car the next time you arrive at the line. If not, just repeat the same thing.

LongTimeSlugger

I think that's a better idea. At least you tried to be honest.

Best Regards,
Jan Manzer
http://www.janmanzer.com

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 12:13pm
Welcome to the forum newbies!

And thanks for reviving a two-and-a-half-year-old conversation!

Actually it looks like both of these newbie posts are business solicitations disguised as real people. Note: "janmanzer411" 411 = information, perhaps a newz site. And "OurMomSpot.net" responds to the three-year-old post with the question "Are you a mom?" Tricky!

PLEASE, NO SOLICITORS!

Posted By: burtpulizzi
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:23pm
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the http://www.jammerall.com/categories/Cell-Phone-Jammers/ - cell phone jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

Posted By: CalebMcanelly
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 4:51am
In the movies we can often see that some advanced technology are used to protect the important information and prevent it from being lost or people who aiming to get it. Seen from another point we can regard such kind of action as the security method for both people and the information and this is indeed. Right here you will know the desktop cell phone WiFi jammer can also be your best guard and have a good beginning here.When being serious disturbed because of the application of some devices, no doubt another kind of device that can help to conquer the problem and help you to gain the better condition is need and must be used. So now to gain the better condition, various kinds of signal blockers are invented and come into the market to create quality change for people. Such as the http://www.jammerall.com/categories/Cell-Phone-Jammers/ - cell phone jammers , GPS jammers, WiFi jammers, video jammers and so many other types of jammer products. And what quality changes can they bring you? Then you should be ready to see the following content.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:18am
Can someone delete the spam please?

Posted By: AngloAustrian
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 11:25am
Seriously, the "Take three negotiators" counts as an annoying slug? then, I am certainly guilty. I know when I have been waiting for half an hour for a ride, and the ride finally comes, and there's a seat devoid of child seats or suits, that the person behind me might appreciate not waiting another half an hour, so I always ask. Or if there are upteen riders for a destination and there have been few cars going there, it helps keep the line moving. Didn't know it was "negotiating." Do people actually negotiate? "If you take another, I'll wash your windows?" Or, "If you take a third, I'll promise not to fart?" I just ask. The answer's yes or no. I don't negotiate, and I am sorry if this falls under the list of "offensive slugs."

quote:
Originally posted by 122582

Annoying slugs? I thought it wasn't possible?

The newspaper/kleenex leavers, the cell phone talkers, the too cold/too hot whiners, the door slammers, the take 3 negotiaters, the slug-line nazis, the snorers/gas passers, the perfume people, the unclean.

No, never an annoying slug.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 2:04pm
Wow... I ran into my first annoying slug the other day.
I pulled up to the line and announced my destination. There were some 30 people waiting in line.

So two passengers come up to my vehicle, both walking towards the passenger side.

I'm a construction engineer, so vehicle doubles as my office. I had a stack of paperwork, my laptop bag, and construction site safety gear (Hard hat, work boots, yellow vest) on the rear passenger seat.

I asked the person getting in the rear to come to the driver's side.

One passenger got in the back behind me and the person getting into the front passenger seat realized he'd have to hold his bag on his lap.

He told the person in the back that he was going to pass on the ride and they both got back at the beginning of the line.
The people who were after them in line asked what the issue was and they said that the vehicle was full of stuff.

Okay, last I checked, my vehicle has a legal seating capacity of six, although comfortably seats four... With one seat of stuff and one driver, that leaves two clean seats. Not my problem if you don't want to set your bag on your lap for 20 minutes. A child seat takes up about the same amount of room.

Being pulled over and having to show my HOV exemption paperwork slows me down, plus I feel bad when there's legitimate HOV violators out there and I have the capability of taking slugs.

Not anymore.

Posted By: ETC
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 2:45pm
I always put stuff on the seat behind be and on the floor because I don't want people spreading their junk all over my seat. My car has become so dirty from slugs putting brief cases, etc. on my car seat. Let them keep their stuff on their laps for the ride which is after all FREE. And I won't allow rolling book bags. Nope nope nope.

Posted By: lisad219
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:47am
As a slug I feel bad sometimes for both drivers and slugs because lets face it - some people are a$$holes. When I get in someone car my crap sits on my lap, I fold my arms and sit quietly. I try wear very light perfume and I put my makeup on AT HOME. I say "Good Morning" and "Thank you." I don't talk on my phone and never talk to the driver unless they initiate a conversation. Not sure why this is too much to ask.

If someone is legitimately doing something offensive, just grow a pair and say something. Obviously, if someone just smells than try to avoid them, but if someone putting on makeup speak up. Just my two cents. [:D]

Courtesy is commonsense is contagious.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net