Print Page | Close Window

Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3093
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008
Posted By: anonjedi
Subject: Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 2:52pm
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+HB2132

Replies:
Posted By: LDOMAJ
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 3:10pm
Does this just mean that it is on the docket?

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 6:30pm
BOHICA everyone![V]

[:(] And are there any bets on how long before we see an "I told you so" post from NOSUV? [:(]

Posted By: darkprime
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 7:52am
It looks like it hasn't passed yet but could.

Just this morning coming in on 95/395, I counted just as many HOV-3 vehicles as I did SOV-Hybrids and Cheaters. Seems like Richmond just flat out doesn't care about traffic problems in part of the state that pays the most taxes.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 7:57am
Reading the bill in its entirity reveals a lot of text regarding Route 66. Interestingly enough, the bill's author is a republican from Centreville who would drive on 66 probably more than 95.

Might a compromise be to allow the exemption on 66 but not 95/395?

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 8:23am
I doubt if too many people commuting on 95 really care if they extend it for 66 for another year. As for us, any realist would believe that the damn thing will be grandfathered again. Disgusting isn't it?

It would take leadership from VDOT and the director of VDOT to get any substantial change and that is very unlikely. In other words, take it away from the paid-off politicians.

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 12:31pm
I strongly urge everyone to email their representatives about this issue. Alot are up for reelection this November. If they don't listen to us now, don't reelect them in November.

Posted By: Galah
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 2:08pm
They don't seem to care down there in RIC and then you get Op-Ed pieces like the one in the Sunday (4 Jan 07) Richmond Times-Dispatch by A. Barton Hinkle who basically says ...problem, WHAT problem, commute times are getting SHORTER....*sigh*
liars, politicians and statisticians
Sorry I couldn't get the url pasted here but if you go to www.timesdispatch.com you have enough info here to navigate there.

Posted By: CatHerder
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 4:37pm
NOt going to do anything about hybrids until tolls kick in.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 8:33am
Here's the link to the Richmond newspaper Op Ed that Galah mentions.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&%09s=1045855935007&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192496264&path=%21editorials%21oped

An interesting read.

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 9:35am
OMG what drivel. Seriously, did he even bother to THINK about what he was writing? It sounds like he wrote it while daydreaming about something else, like what flavor latte he was going to order.

I lived in Ole Richmond for ten agonizing endless years, suffering the moronic spewings of the (now defunct) News Loser and the Times Disgrace, possibly the least talented newsroom in any city over 100,000 people.

Studies that compute "average commute times" should be used only to line bird cages. Big messy birds. Anyone here (other than NoSUV) have a 38 minute commute? It takes me 19 minutes just to get to the commuter lot!

(And don't even get me started on his name: "A. Barton Hinkle". Makes you wonder how Atrocious his first name must be if he chooses to use Barton instead, ha! Typical Richmond pretention.)

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 11:25am
Just read A. Barton "Clueless" op-ed piece. Someone should invite him to commute on a work day during morning rush hour from Northern VA (Fairfax, Loudoun, PW) to the District in the regular lanes and see if it takes "25 minutes" to get to the District. And make sure he wears a watch to time it. What a schmuck. (Can I use the word schmuck on the message board?)

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 11:32am
The only change in the law offered by the bill is the extension of the exemption to 2008. Thus, hybrids would be permitted to use ANY HOV lane, I-66, I95/I395 or elsewhere. A pre-filed bill is a bill that a member of the state legislature intends to introduce when the legislature convenes, and pre-files it to let the public know of his intent to do so. The Virginia Legislature convened January 10 and adjourns February 24th. As a practical matter, most bills pass, or fail, during the law week or so of each legislative session. But now is the time to contact the bill sponsor, and your state senator or representative to voice your opposition to the bill...

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 4:17pm
Emailed my delegates yesterday about opposing this bill.

Posted By: Galah
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 8:25am
Thanks for posting the link sluDgE. Average commute times are incredibly misleading, just like average home prices and average incomes (the average of a 60 minute commute and a 2 minute commute is 31 minutes....what is THAT supposed to tell you) It'd be interesting to see what the average commuting DISTANCE has become, at 10 mph, you can make a whole 4 miles in that average commute time.
The TD editorial pages got to me bad enough one time with this kind of traffic talk that I actually wrote a letter to the editor which they printed. Reaction? Well some guy in Farmville wrote a letter saying I should get a job there because their traffic wasn't bad....

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 10:22am
Here is the response I received from Dave Albo, Springfield District:

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to House Bill 2132 HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. The official summary of the bill states:

HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles.  Extends the "sunset"
to 2008 authorizing the use of certain HOV lanes by vehicles bearing clean special fuel vehicle license plates.

The bill is currently being considered by the House Transportation Committee, of which I am not a member. However, I appreciate your comments.
Please know that I am in favor of eliminating the exemption and support last years agreement to stop re-issuing exempt plates, which will eventually eliminate hybrid drivers from the HOV lanes. Should the Committee report this legislation to the House of Delegates, I will give your views much consideration before I cast my vote. You can track this bill through my website www.davealbo.com. Simply click on the "Our Community" link followed by the "General Assembly" link.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 11:27am
Jody,
That's cool... you've inspired me to do the same and write to my delegate.

Goober

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 4:34pm
Dang it Jody, I got this response from Ablo and wanted to share it too but you beat me too it.

Everyone do it, lets ring their bells and keep HOV HOV

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to
House
Bill 2132 HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. The
official summary of the bill states:

HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. Extends the
"sunset"
to 2008 authorizing the use of certain HOV lanes by vehicles bearing
clean
special fuel vehicle license plates.

The bill is currently being considered by the House Transportation
Committee, of which I am not a member. However, I appreciate your
comments.
Please know that I am in favor of eliminating the exemption and support
last years agreement to stop re-issuing exempt plates, which will
eventually eliminate hybrid drivers from the HOV lanes. Should the
Committee report this legislation to the House of Delegates, I will
give
your views much consideration before I cast my vote. You can track this
bill through my website www.davealbo.com. Simply click on the "Our
Community" link followed by the "General Assembly" link.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to
contact
me.

Yours for good government,

David B. Albo

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 10:46am
Waste of electrons contacting part-time-wannabe-nothing-better-to-do-General Assembly members with any concerns. Lobby groups such as auto manufacturers, car dealers assn., etc. have already gotten to them. Unless you've got money to give, politicians couldn't give a rat's. The only people on this forum who think contacting thier "legislators" might make a difference are newbies and the delusional. I used to be one too many years ago. Good luck anyway. It only makes you feel good until March when they unveil lobbyist prizes. See, any real debate in Richmond keeps delegates from their families and real jobs longer than about 90 days. Couldn't have that. Sorry for being so negative. "I got my mind right boss."

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 7:27am
Bumping subject up over spam

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 12:30pm
Thanks Colossus911 for posting the response. Disappointed in your negative post, Luddite. Would you call the November 2006 elections delusional? Voters sent a message. Since alot of the VA Assembly is up for reelection this November, to ignore what just happened in the last election would be foolish. You can check how your delegate voted on bills on the web. I plan to keep track of how my delegate votes and plan to vote accordingly in November.

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 3:12pm
Why would manufacturer's have a stake in this now? There are no more clean fuel plates being issued which would equate to a drop in Hybrid sales. Does anyone know if clean fuel plates are transferable??

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 3:16pm
Uhm...whats a BOHICA? Long day..

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2007 at 9:28am
It's a cynical acronym for "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again".

Goober

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 9:46am
Oh...well thats a little dirty..lol..thanks goob.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 9:52am
There are Clean Fuel plates being issued which can be used on I66.

Also, one can imagine a day when they may decide to make the carpool lanes hybrid only. A bad idea, but when has that ever stopped Richmond?

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2007 at 11:48am
No....the state has officially stopped issuing/registering anymore clean fuel plates (CF/CX---). What is out there is out there. I'm curious when you sell your registered CF vehicle if the CF plates stay with the vehicle or if the state requires you turn them in.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2007 at 1:18pm
There had been a rumor some folks were trading in their older hybrid for a new one and crossdecking their plates to the new hybrid... don't know if anyone ever confirmed this.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2007 at 2:44pm
bnvus,

Check previous posts on this message board. And also check out this Virginia DMV website: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/cleanspecialfuel.asp

Unless something happened very recently, the situation is that Va started issuing a new CF plate on 1 July 06. Those are not allowed to use the I-95/395 HOV lanes unless the car has 3 people onboard. They are configured differently from the older (pre-1 July 06) plates. The website states hybrids can drive SOV on Viginia's HOV-2 lanes (like I-66 and others) with those plates -- just not on I-95/395.

Those older plates were grandfathered and the cars with them can use the HOV lanes with a single occupant in the car.

If the above is no longer current or correct, someone please let us know.

Have a great weekend -- and keep warm!

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2007 at 11:08pm
The new "CF" plates have the "clean special fuel" emblem on the right side instead of the left position of the ones allowed on 95/395 HOV. You just haven't seen any since it seems that very few people are buying qualifying vehicles along the 95 corridor now that they have no incentive. FYI, the non personalized ones have a ####CY format. I've seen one or two of them in the six months they have been issued....

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 3:48pm
Ahhhh.....I honestly did not know that. So that is how you distinguish between the 2. Good info. Thanks

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 4:10pm

Graphic of new CF plates

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=CFP

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 4:08pm
Yeah, I saw one in the HOV lanes on Friday on the way home. The slugs in the car and I were talking about it. Wishing there was a cop around to bust the guy but ah, didn't happen.

Posted By: Freud
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 4:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911
[br]Yeah, I saw one in the HOV lanes on Friday on the way home. The slugs in the car and I were talking about it. Wishing there was a cop around to bust the guy but ah, didn't happen.

Pfftttt...they never do when you need them. I was beginning to merge off of the HOVs one evening and I was behind a vanpool when this single occupant in a luxury vehicle (not a hybrid) zooms around both of us, driving over the striped lines (lane had ended). The guy in the vanpool points the dude out to the state troopers who were sitting at the end of the HOV lanes and the state trooper just shrugged.

WTF?

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 10:06pm
colossus911,

If "the one ..." was a new-plated hybrid and the driver had 2 slugs on board with him, he would have been legal on the HOVs.

Assume you meant "the one in the HOV lanes on Friday" was a new-plated hybrid with just one cheating SOB driver in it.
Just another of the many examples of the "I'm just so damned important that rules or laws don't apply to me" attitudes that permeate some residents of NoVa.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 7:48am
I just checked the VA web site... does anyone know what "Engrossed by House" means?

Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 9:38am
quote:
Originally posted by LDOMAJ
[br]I just checked the VA web site... does anyone know what "Engrossed by House" means?

Somebody really, REALLY likes that TV show with Hugh Laurie? I'm sorry, but it was just screaming for a punch line.[8D]

Anyway, here's what I found:

Engrossed in the House (or Senate):
An engrossed bill is the official copy of a bill or joint resolution that has been passed by one chamber, including the text as changed by any amendments that have been agreed to on the floor, and certified by the Clerk of the House or the Secretary of the Senate. The House's engrossed documents are printed on blue paper; the Senate's on white paper.

I don't know if the "by" makes a difference, but you get the idea.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 10:18am
Thank you G2G...

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 11:28am
Yeah Sludge they were in the HOV lanes and I was wondering if they knew they were violators or just figured they had a hybrid so they could drive in the lanes.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 8:50am
Bill passed by the House (97-0), being communicated to the Senate

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 9:07am
:(

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 12:21pm
[:)] Bumping above the spam.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 9:50am
quote:
Originally posted by LDOMAJ
[br]Bill passed by the House (97-0), being communicated to the Senate

Seems Jody didn't get quite the action expected based on the response from Del Albo.

If this vote is accurate, what does it say about those who post on this site who are anti-hybrid exemption? If they are representative of the slug community, then it would seem that the slug folks are totally out of touch with the general population of the Commonwealth. Perhaps they are NOT representative of slugs in general, and they alone are not congizant. Hmmm.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 12:51pm
Albo is listed as a yea

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 12:59pm
The bill is in the Senate Transportation Committee right now.

Summary as introduced:
HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. Extends the "sunset" to 2008 authorizing the use of certain HOV lanes by vehicles bearing clean special fuel vehicle license plates.

Full text:
01/08/07 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/10/07 078273332 (impact statement)
02/06/07 House: Floor substitute printed 079441332-H1 (Wardrup)

01/08/07 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/10/07 078273332
01/08/07 House: Referred to Committee on Transportation
01/22/07 House: Assigned Transportation sub: #1 (Welch)
02/03/07 House: Reported from Transportation (18-Y 0-N)
02/03/07 House: Read first time
02/05/07 House: Read second time
02/05/07 House: Substitute by Delegate Wardrup withdrawn 079441332-H1
02/05/07 House: Engrossed by House
02/06/07 House: Floor substitute printed 079441332-H1 (Wardrup)
02/06/07 House: Read third time and passed House (97-Y 0-N)
02/06/07 House: VOTE: PASSAGE (97-Y 0-N)
02/06/07 House: Communicated to Senate
02/07/07 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
02/07/07 Senate: Referred to Committee on Transportation

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 7:25am
Bumping up over the spam... again.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 12:07pm
BTW, NoSUV, VDOT has registered its recommendation: No Extension. So you are taking the side of the ignorant Richmond legislators, only three or four of whom have any idea of what this bill is all about, over the advice of disinterested professionals.

Why don't you go to the websites I've listed previously that show the amounts and names of political contributors to state and local races. You'll see there that some of the very biggest contributors are... car dealers! Surprise, surprise, as Gomer used to say.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 12:32pm
A couple of points in response to our favorite troll. The fact that the General Assembly froze the number of hybrids last year was a repudiation of his position that hybrids would be allowed to proliferate unchecked. He never saw that one coming (the freeze) and after it happened, never addressed it or even mentioned it. The freezing of the hybrid counts was a warning shot across the bow that there is indeed a problem, and their days are numbered. Second point is that the feds can step in at any time. Third is that once HOT comes, the boondoggle ends anyway.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 12:46pm
sponge, and Bob,

Are you both REALLY saying that 100% of the delegates are ignorant? I guess it's possible, but isn't it more likely that y'all are really the ones who don't get it?

I've asked both the Washington Post and WTOP to investigate the impact of the legislation last year, both in terms of traffic and hybrid sales. Seems neither is newsworthy. That, too, says something.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 7:31am
Bumping over spam

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 10:56am
100%? Where did we say anything about the percentage? You are, as usual, losing the argument and trying again to obfuscate the issues with peripheral diversions. Stick to the point, NoSUV.

VDOT said two years ago the exemption should end. Period.

The legislators, however, motivated by a deadly combination of ignorance (about the reality of the carpool lane congestion) and greed (for more car dealer contributions) over-ruled VDOT and put in an exemption.

The lucky few who bought at the right time will continue to receive their little personal privilege at the expense of the ride-sharing majority.

Selfish a-social greedholes like you will continue to agitate for your own comfort and convenience, but you can't, and you haven't, ever fooled those of us who read this board. We know what your agenda is, and your lying claims of caring about the environment ring hollow in our ears.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 11:09am
Sponge - the prefiled exemption extension was passed in the House of Delegates 97-0. How much closer to 100% can that be?

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 11:17am
While it is true that the vote was 97-0, I believe that is somewhat deceptive. The individual committees are the ones who craft the bills. Obviously, the lobbyists have been working on the committee members. The regular House members had a choice to vote yea or nea on the overall bill that extends the hybrids another year statewide. To vote No on it, they would have ended the hybrid exemption on 66 and in Norfolk. Bottom line is that it is the 7 or so members of the committee that control everything. It is also obvious that the anti 95 hybrid VDOT group has no clout.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 2:09pm
Ah, but not even a single protest or conscience vote? Including YOUR delegate?

Perhaps it instead shows that the anti-95 hybrid VDOT group is so grossly out of touch with reality that they do not diserve to have anyone of importance (and even you have to admit that delegates have some importance) pay attention to them. Also, delegates cannot remain in office if they do not represent the general will of their constituents.

So, is it 100% of the delegates that are out of step, or the anti-hybrid posters on this board?

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 3:07pm
Yes, 100% of the delegates are wrong.

There. Satisfied?

There was never a chance that any of the delegates were going to stop the bill. They are NEVER going to stop extending the exemption until they do away with carpooling altogether.

When they convert all our highways to toll roads and set up a class-based transportation system here like they have in Russia (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/13/wruss13.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/13/ixworld.html)
, only then will your little hybrid-based personal privilege come to an end.

Selfish, arrogant, uncaring, self-congratulating smugs will get their fondest wish: a roadway where access is limited to those who can pay extra for it. But, ooops! Next time it won't be because they had the money for a new hybrid, it'll be based on the amount of truly disposable cash you have on board your car.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 3:35pm
sponge - so, now you're calling ALL of the delegates smugs?

Perhaps you need to think outside the box and figure out something that preserves the slug free ride system while catering to the overwhelming (that is, total) support for the hybrid exemption. As I've put on the HOT thread, try making allies, not enemies, especially when waging a war that the folks you are alienating are going to win.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 3:59pm
I don't make a habit of even responding to our favorite troll, but I did some research on the House Transportation Committee. There is almost no representation from Northern Virginia. Del Rust of Herndon is apparently the sponsor, and he is of course from our region. However, since his constituents would use 66, they would not be concerned. So in my opinion, it is the committee makeup that is behind the lopsided nature of this. No one from Pr William or Stafford I believe.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 5:45pm
Bob,
What committees are the southern Fairfax, PW, Stafford, and Spotsy county delegates on?
(Really? ... Is there no one represnting the NoVa I-95/395 corridor commuters on the Transportation Committee (TC)? What a shame!) [B)]

And who decided they should not be on the TC?
That seems very short-sighted on someone's part.
If it's our delegates' own choices not to serve on the TC, it appears they chose poorly in representing one their constituents' top issues. [V]

A delegate from Herndon probably avoids I-95 rush hour like the plague! [;)]

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 8:32am
OK, hope yall appreciate this. I looked up the committees for all of the N VA delegates (I have shortened the committee names) There are 4, 2 are repubs and 2 are dems.

Albo/Springfield: Justice, General Laws
Amundsen/ Mt Vernon: Counties, Sci and Tech, Rules
Brink/Arlington: Privileges, Approp
Bulova/Fairfax: General Laws, Agriculture
Callahan/McLean: Approp., Commerce, Rules
Capute/Chantilli: Finance, Health and Welfare
Cole/ Fredericksburge: Privileges, Edu, Finance, Counties
Ebbin (D)/ Arlington: Edu, TRANSPORTATION, Health
Eisenburg/ Arlington: Agriculture, Sci and Tech
Euglin/ Alexandria: Privledges, Health
Frederick/Woodbridge: Priviledges, Edu, Finance, Health
Howell/ Fredericksburg: Rules
Hull/ Falls Church: Laws, Finance, Counties
Hugo (R)/ Centerville: Commerce, TRANSPORTATION, Finance, Sci and Tech
Lingamfelter/Woodbridge: Finance, Edu, Militia
Marshall/ Manassas: Counties, Priviledgs, Sci and Tech
May (R)/ Leesburg: Sci and Tech, TRANSPORTATION. Approp.
McQuigg/ Occoquan: Gen Laws, Counties, Sci and Tech, Courts
Miller/ Manasses: Privileges, Sci and Tech
Moran (D)/ Alexandria: Courts, TRANSPORTATION, Health
Plum/ Reston: Commerce, Ag, Sci and Tech
Scott/ Merrifield: Privileges, Approp, Militia
Shannon/ Vienna: Edu, Finance, Ag
Sickles/ Alexandria: Priviledges, Commerce, Health
Watts/ Annandale: Courts, Finance, Sci and Tech

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 9:18am
Troll,

Your wonderful House voted last year to freeze the hybrids. They dont exactly agree with the positions you have stated over the past couple of years do they?

And by the way, we all know who is posting the garbage on this site don't we? Rather obvious too.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 12:18pm
Bob,
Thanks for the posting the info on the N Va delegates and their committee mambership.

Appears that the only two delegates on the TC who have I-95/395 go through their districts are from Arlington and Alexandria. (It would be interesting to know what, if any, input they solicit from Fairfax, PW, Stafford, and Spotsy county commuters? And does anyone even know what their positions are on such south-of-the beltway commuter hot buttons as HOV, hybrids, HOT lanes, car pooling, etc.?)

And, the other two N Va reps from Leesburg and Centreville on the TC have other transportation issues in the I-66 and Dulles Access & Toll Road/Greenway directions.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 1:36pm
(HB2132) 02/15/07 Senate: Reported from Transportation (15-Y 0-N)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAS--Williams, Houck, Miller, Marsh, Newman, Watkins, Puckett, Rerras, Wagner, Blevins, Deeds, O'Brien, Bell, Devolites Davis, McDougle--15.

NAYS--0.

ABSTENTIONS--0.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2007 at 5:35pm
Bumping over spam

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2007 at 7:19am
(floor) 02/19/07 Senate: VOTE: (40-Y 0-N)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAS--Bell, Blevins, Chichester, Colgan, Cuccinelli, Deeds, Devolites Davis, Edwards, Hanger, Hawkins, Herring, Houck, Howell, Lambert, Locke, Lucas, Marsh, Martin, McDougle, Miller, Newman, Norment, Obenshain, O'Brien, Potts, Puckett, Puller, Quayle, Rerras, Reynolds, Ruff, Saslaw, Stolle, Stosch, Ticer, Wagner, Wampler, Watkins, Whipple, Williams--40.

NAYS--0.

RULE 36--0.

NOT VOTING--0.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 11:29am
I dont' know but I already let my delagate know that I plan to campaign against him next time. Worst thing is I like the guy but can't take this kind of thing sitting down.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 8:51am
Grrr...SPAM!!!!

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 9:28am
NoSUV, do you know how many bills are presented and reviewed each year, and how very little time the delegates really have to study them?

Do you really think that any of the delegates cares about the nuances of this little hybrid bill?

Do you really think that any of the delegates are immune to the largest supplier of campaign contributions (the auto dealers of Virginia)?

I have no problem with the legislature extending the exemption on I66, or the other roads in Tidewater and elsewhere. But there is no arguing with VDOT's professional assertion that the hybrids increase congestion on OUR I95 carpool lanes and thereby increase overall pollution output as well as dis-incent ridesharing.

A better bill might have been crafted that ended the I95 exemption, and I would bet it, too, would have passed unanimously because this bill is small potatoes in the transportation budget war being waged today in Richmond.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 12:01pm
Actually, I thought tobacco companies were the biggest contributors and that's why we can't get a smoking ban in restaurants in VA.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 2:45pm
Can anyone answer these 2 questions?:

What is the #1 priority of any incumbent politician in America?

How does an incumbent remain an incumbent?

Bonus question: What's the difference between a politician and a statesman?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 9:03am
Bumping up over spammers

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 3:32pm
I'm disappointed in Del. Albo. He won't get my vote in November.

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 6:34pm
Cool N or S Bound, a test...

Let's see, what is the number 1 priority of any incumbent politician in America? Hmmm, that's a toughy.

1. To slander any and all opposition by any means possible in order to get re-elected?

2. Or is it to obfuscate, distort, ignore facts and twist the truth in order to get re-elected?

3. Maybe it's to invest in enough chapstick to keep their lips moist while kissing up to those who can get them re-elected?

Ooh, I detect a common thread - it's to get re-elected. Whew, I'm winded, now on to Number 2.

How does an incumbent remain an incumbent?

1. By slandering any and all opposition by any means possible in order to remain the incumbent.

2. Or is it by obfuscating, distorting, ignoring facts and twisting the truth in order to get remain the incumbent.

3. Maybe it's investing in enough chapstick to keep their lips moist while continuosly kissing up to those who can help them remain the incumbent.

You see, by now they are masters of all three.

Bonus question - good one. But where to start...

Here are some Quotes taken from Wikipedia:

Aristotle -- "What the statesman is most anxious to produce is a certain moral character in his fellow citizens, namely a disposition to virtue and the performance of virtuous actions."

Harry S. Truman -- "A politician is a man who understands government. A statesman is a politician who's been dead for 15 years."

Henry Kissinger -- "The statesman's duty is to bridge the gap between experience and vision."

To me, the answer is debatable. However, the term "statesman" is usually used as a term of respect...

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 2:10pm
Good responses DC2RV! I like it alot!

Voting benefits to oneself from the treasury comes to mind here...

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 5:03pm
I tend to ramble so I'm warning you now. I made the mistake of writing to my house delegate and senator, and apparently had no impact. Received an "acknowledgment only" response:

Thank you for writing to me on HB 2132 which extends the sunset provision for vehicles bearing clean fuel vehicle license plates in HOV lanes. This bill passed in both the House and Senate unanimously.

I appreciate you writing to me about your concerns and hope to hear from you in the future.

In retrospect, I (we) should have written to the chairs of the Transportation committees (both house and senate) and ask that the bill be amended to exclude the hybrid exemption from the 95/395 HOV lanes. Like the SpongeBob wrote, "A better bill might have been crafted that ended the I95 exemption".

I made note in my letters that the 95/395 HOV lanes were used beyond it's capacity. I made the mistake of not asking that the bill be amended to state that the exemption for clean special fuel vehicles not be applied to the 95/395 HOV lanes only. The way that the bill was written, the exemptions apply to all HOV lanes in general. If they only incorporated a tiny clause that excluded the 95/395 HOV lanes...

It's too late now in trying to influencing the delegates, but can the Governor be shown the truth and be influenced in not signing the bill? The all knowning Sponge asked, "Do you really think that any of the delegates cares about the nuances of this little hybrid bill?" maybe they don't care but can the Governor be made to care?

Goober

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 5:45pm
Goober,
About your comment on contacting the Governor since your delegate just blew you off with a canned response...
Here's a quote from the current Governor's website at http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/biography.cfm

"In transportation, Governor Kaine is working to promote greater accountability, with a focus on measurable improvements, better connections between land use and transportation planning, and greater investments in road, rail and public transportation infrastructure. During his first year in office, he has recruited innovative transportation professionals and made significant advances in land use reforms that will make Virginia’s transportation network serve people better."

If you want to "contact" him, you can send a message at http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

It would be interesting to see what, if any, response you would get. [;)]

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 7:10am
N or S Bound - thanks.

Yeah, increasing benefits is a good example. If you're a Fed, and covered under FERS, think about Sick Leave. You lose it upon retirement. Under CSRS however, you can add it to your retirement benefit. That's the case today.

I can well imagine that in a few years, as more elected officials come into office (and discover that they like the taste of the gravy on the train) that FERS will be changed to to be like CSRS in that area.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 3:01pm
I wrote my representatives to propose an amendment to the existing bill to remove the hybrid exemption from the I95/I395 HOV corrider or, in the alternative, introduce a new bill to remove the hybrid exemption. I listed various reasons (increased congestion, longer commute) on why action is required during this legislative session. I'm disappointed that my delegate ignored both of my proposals. And one state senator never even responded to my email. Both representatives have lost my vote in November.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 4:07pm
At least the choice will be easy in November, vote all the incumbents out...and make sure to spead the word to as many friends and family as possible.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:05am
Does anyone know how many Hybids are actually exempt and grandfathered?
There can only be a certain amount of them sold prior to 1 July 06 that the extension applies to. And each of those cars will last only a few years before they wear out. So, the numbers of HOV3-exempt hybrids should dwindle eventually. That may be by the time that all SOV drivers (and probably the rest of us) will pay to use the HOT lanes (2011 or so?).

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:06am
You may not know that the current owners of hybrids are allowed to buy a new hybrid at any time and transfer their plates. That should not be the case either.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:21am
Bob,
Didn't know that.
So, the number of exempted hybrids driving SOV on HOV will remain a constant - at least until the HOT lanes hit them with a toll.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:38am
As for your other question, my understanding is that lane capacity is a max of 2000 vehicles per hour. So in THEORY a 2 lane road over the 3 hour HOV period could handle 12000 cars (assuming no 14th street backup). Since the hybrids are at least 25% (I think more)
we would be talking about 3000. But since not all are on the HOV every day, it is probably 4000 or so using the corridor, plus those using 66.

Posted By: datapencil
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 6:15pm
I just can't believe how many hassles hybrid vehicle owners still have to go through to get subsidized for their environmental efforts. It'll probably be a while still before governments realize the urgent need to promote cleaner vehicles as much as possible. I think a sustained letter writing campaign will at least help to improve the situation. You'd be surprised how far a thoughtfully composed letter can go if directed to the right people.

http://www.energyplanet.info/Hybrid_Cars/
http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/technology/hybrid-cars/

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 6:25pm
datapencil,
If everyone abandoned their carpools and bought hybrids to drive alone, it would be an environmental disaster and you know it. Hybrids are not the solution. If you think people driving solo their Lexus GS-450h or RX-400h is progress(examples only, applies to all hybrids), then you're a fool.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 7:18am
We saw on TV that there's a 100% electric sports car that a private company is producing. It's very sporty 2-seat roadster (looks kind of like a Lotus) that goes several hundred miles between charges and can top 120 mph. Of course, it costs about $90K.

Now, there's a no-emission vehicle that's probably worthy of a VA CF plate. It doesn't burn one drop of fossil fuel.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 8:31am
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]We saw on TV that there's a 100% electric sports car that a private company is producing. It's very sporty 2-seat roadster (looks kind of like a Lotus) that goes several hundred miles between charges and can top 120 mph. Of course, it costs about $90K.

Now, there's a no-emission vehicle that's probably worthy of a VA CF plate. It doesn't burn one drop of fossil fuel.

Except that required to charge it.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 12:46pm
scottt,

True ... but PEPCO-like companies are gonna run power plants anyway (be they fossil-fueled, hydro, coal, solar, wind, nuclear, or otherwise).

BTW, here's the website for Tesla Motors (the maker of the all-electric roadster).
http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Cute car! [:)]

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 3:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by datapencil
[br]I just can't believe how many hassles hybrid vehicle owners still have to go through to get subsidized for their environmental efforts. It'll probably be a while still before governments realize the urgent need to promote cleaner vehicles as much as possible. I think a sustained letter writing campaign will at least help to improve the situation. You'd be surprised how far a thoughtfully composed letter can go if directed to the right people.

http://www.energyplanet.info/Hybrid_Cars/
http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/technology/hybrid-cars/

Hi data, so what environmental efforts are hybrid drivers making? Are they recycling? Are they carpooling? Are they running ethanol, biodiesel or another renewable alternate fuel in their hybrids? And why should anyone need to be subsidized for doing something good for our environment? I thought hybrid drivers were altruistic in their purchasing habits?

I agree that the government should promote cleaner vehicles that use renewable alternate fuel sources. But don't be hoodwinked into believing that hybrids are the answer; they burn fossil fuels and pollute just like any other car (unless of course they are burning ethanol).

Good luck on your letter writing campaign!

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 9:42am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]datapencil,
If everyone abandoned their carpools and bought hybrids to drive alone, it would be an environmental disaster and you know it. Hybrids are not the solution. If you think people driving solo their Lexus GS-450h or RX-400h is progress(examples only, applies to all hybrids), then you're a fool.

Perhaps what would be a better way to look at it:
If everyone abandoned their carpools, took mass transit, and bought a hybrid for non-commuting travel, it would be an environmental victory and it is obvious. Hybrids are part of the total solution, which includes mass transit and a replacement of conventional vehicles with those better for the environment. If you think that staying with conventional vehicles, whether in a car pool or not, then you're a fool.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 9:13am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[
Perhaps what would be a better way to look at it:
If everyone abandoned their carpools, took mass transit, and bought a hybrid for non-commuting travel, it would be an environmental victory and it is obvious. Hybrids are part of the total solution, which includes mass transit and a replacement of conventional vehicles with those better for the environment. If you think that staying with conventional vehicles, whether in a car pool or not, then you're a fool.

And buying the Hybrid is an environmental victory how? If you spout emissions again, then we could all buy SULEV's and accomplish the same thing.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 12:09pm
And one has to worry if SULEV really means "Single-Use Luxury Egotistical Vehicle". [V]

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2007 at 2:08pm
scottt- so while you wait, and wait, and wait for a perfect solution, you intend to make things worse by NOT buying a vehicle that meets SULEV standards, right?

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2007 at 3:39pm
NoSUV, when you suggest everyone buy a hybrid and take mass transit, are you going to practice what you preach? I bet not.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 8:12am
quote:
[br]scottt- so while you wait, and wait, and wait for a perfect solution, you intend to make things worse by NOT buying a vehicle that meets SULEV standards, right?

Depends. I look for safety and good gas mileage in a car. If the car is an SULEV as well, fine by me.

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 12:19pm
still waiting for scottt to put up or shut up. I've bought my hybrid, scottt - WHERE'S YOURS????

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 3:06pm
So once again NoSUV hijacks another post and turns it into another personal sounding board and you responders ALLOW it to happen. This post was about the decision of the legislators and now it has deteriorated into a post about NoSUV proclaiming his (or her) superiority over all life forms on earth. Please stop falling for his or her nonsense folks. Its boring for the rest of us to read and pointless because the person will never, ever, compromise on even the slightest point...

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 3:16pm
CMMS: Fortunately, the history of the post is right in front of you. all you have to do is scroll up.

The hijacking occured with MDC on 3/19 and was reinforced by raymond on 3/20.

Nearly all of my posts have been in response to the hybrid hate on this board.

Wasn't the vote by the legislators 100% for extending the exemption? Look in the mirror, CMMS, if you want to see who is spouting nonsense.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 11:09am
quote:
[br]still waiting for scottt to put up or shut up. I've bought my hybrid, scottt - WHERE'S YOURS????

Where did I say I will buy a Hybrid? Where?

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net