Print Page | Close Window

Take Three?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3394
Printed Date: 23 May 2024 at 7:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Take Three?
Posted By: Flyby
Subject: Take Three?
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2007 at 7:08am
A reminder to drivers at Rolling Valley in the am - or any pickup site at any time. IF THERE ARE CARS BEHIND YOU ON LINE AND THE SLUG LINE ISN'T A MILE LONG PLEASE ONLY TAKE TWO RIDERS WITH YOU. The other morning a rider and I had to wait an extra ten minutes due to some moron in front of me taking three riders to the same destination I was going. It's just common sense folks.

Flyby

Replies:
Posted By: crewshell
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 11:52pm
Its also common sense to ASK to take 3 if there is no line of cars. So come one people... THINK

oh and if your in the front of the line and you dont have the balls to ask to take 3 and I do, NO its not so you can take the ride. (obviously the person farther back should give plenty of time for the front person to ask for 3, if they fail to do so, its fair game)

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 8:01am
To the newbies- this topic has been discussed MANY MANY times before. Flyby has the correct attitude, crewshell on the other had, balls or not, unspoken rules are you wait your turn in line, you dont jump ahead because someone ahead of you doesnt want to pressure a driver to take more than they need. As a slug and driver, I have asked and taken a third. But would not tolerate a slug jumping ahead of others for a ride.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 8:19am
Hey crewshell, there's one thing that I can say with 100% certainty, and that is, as a driver, I will not tolerate your brand of rudeness and aggression on the line. You are not getting in my car ahead of the others already on the line. Slugging is a cooperative effort to get everybody to work and back home in a reasonable time. It's not about trying to get there ahead of the next guy. Learn to wait your turn like every one else.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:28pm
If the person in the front of the line does not have the courage / initiative / need / desire to ask the driver to take a third it COMPLETELY opens the option for someone behind them to ask. If you don’t want to ask I nor the people behind me should not have to be forced to wait even longer for a ride home due to your lack of self confidence / motivation to get home.

What gives the person standing in front of me the right to delay all others trying to reach their destination? None. Period.

"because someone ahead of you doesnt want to pressure a driver to take more than they need"

Its not about pressure. Sir, Ma'am, will you take 3?

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:31pm
Sorry, the first person in the slug line always has the next ride, regardless of who asks for three. Otherwise you invite chaos, especially in a long slug line.

Posted By: Oosik
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:43pm
Jeeeze, that's all I need is for every slug in line to start asking to take three. It wouldn't take me 3 seconds to stop picking up any slugs. Flyby is exactly correct that whether some slug bullies his way to ask a driver to take three, doing so early in the slugging period will take away slugs from other drivers. If a slug is so anxious to get to work, then they should drive. I find it absolutely galling that with cars lined up behind me, some slug (one not using common sense) asks me to take three. I even had one slug (the third one in line) start getting into my small compact car and I had actually started moving when I learned he was still trying to get in my car uninvited. I have kicked out another slug who decided for me that I should take three in my van despite the fact there were cars lined up behind me.

As to the drivers, let's hope you have the fortitude to decide who and how many ride in your car and whether your passengers eat, drink or talk non-stop on the cell phone.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:44pm
"Slugging is a cooperative effort to get everybody to work and back home in a reasonable time."

Your absolutely right. And if there is a line of sluggers and there is no line of cars the first person in line should politely ask the driver if they will take 3. If they do not have the desire / motivation the rest of the people behind them should not suffer and the option goes to the next person in line. Again, this is only the case when there is NOT a line of cars. There are several pick up spots that get drivers one at a time with gaps of 2,3, 5, 10 minutes between them.

I love this standard un-explained argument. "this causes problems" "this invites chaos" "this will lead to other problems" articulate your position, don't simple make subjective statements and try to pass them off as fact.

We live in a society in which no one is looking out for you, but you. Its not my job to coddul the person in the front of the line. Nor is it their right to delay everyone else.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 2:49pm
I didn't say that you cannot ask the driver politely if he can take 3. But if he says yes, the first person in line gets the ride. Sorry, been doing this for 19 years and thats the way it is.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:18pm
"It's just being polite and considerate of others, and it works."

1st. It does not work, I've had to wait on several occasions more than 15-20 minutes extra because people where unwilling to ask for themselves. (granted this is assume most of the cars would have taken 3)

If a slug is at the front of the line and does not have the motivation or desire to ask for 3 how in earth is that polite or considerate to all of those behind them that have to wait that much longer? The simple and polite thing to do is to ask everytime there is a line of sluggers and not a line of cars. THATS the polite thing to do.

Its not anyone elses job to ask for 3 for those not willing to ask for themselves.

Those that are "selfish, impolite, and rude" are those not willing to ask drivers to take 3.

I've been in very long lines during 100 degree days when the first slug refuses to ask for 3. Tell me, how is this fair and polite to everyone else?

Before you start throwing insults my way, MODERATOR, how about you meet me personally. Way to set a high bar.

Everyone wants everyone to hold each others hand and be babbied. If your not adult enough or do not have the motivation to ask then you do not deserve the seat. Bottom line.

Posted By: slugcarrier
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:31pm
Sounds like crewshell has anger management issues, or maybe he is suffering from the "little man syndrome."

You try to jump ahead of the next person in line for my destination and get in my car, you will be promptly told to get the "F" out, irregardless if you are the one who asked me to take 3.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:36pm
Slugcarrier, I'm a 6'2 jovial guy, but if you want to talk to me personally about my "anger management issues" or my "little man syndrome" please do so in person, my contact info is on this website.

Web forums are not the place for insulting remarks or to be little someone. I am having a calm level headed debate about the fundamentals of self responsibility and how it interacts with the slug line. You on the other hand and throwing insults around and it’s very unbecoming.

When I drive / drove if the 1st person can not open their own mouth to ask for 3 I am not going to punish the person standing behind them. If they ask, the seat is theirs.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:39pm
You are the one who needs to learn some manners. It's very unbecoming.

And the fact that you have offered to meet 2 people in this thread in person to "continue the discussion" confirms your anger management issues. Grow up.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:44pm
You are inferring that my offer to continue this discussion in person means that I wish to have an altercation. That is not the case.

I simply want to see if you are as willing to throw insults around when someone is looking you in the eyes as you are here online behind the veil of anonymity.

Again, can you point to any real points on why your way is the right way other than "because I said so"?

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:48pm
I've been slugging for 30 years. The new riders don't understand how the system has operated: A free commute BUT you have to WAIT your turn in line. This is how the drivers at Circuit City (originally at Long John Silver's) figured out how to make it fair for drivers waiting for riders. The drivers used to park their cars and gather at the entrance shouting their destination to the riders standing on the median. Whoever could out shout the other drivers got the riders first. The drivers realized this wasn't fair, parked their cars and formed a line so no one was jumping the line to get riders. Whether waiting for drivers or riders, standing in line and waiting your turn is what has made this system fair and work for over 30 years.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:52pm
I too think the system should be fair. But the question remains. If your next in line and unwilling to ask a driver to take 3, how is this fair to everyone else behind you that has to wait that much longer?

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:56pm
You appear to be alone in your interpretation of the etiquette rules based on the replies in this thread. Or are you so opinionated that you can't accept that you are incorrect?

Suggest you review bullet #11 in the etiquette rules. Rule #15 also applies as solely a driver's option.

http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 4:01pm
Slugcarrier

This debate is not about what rule 11 says, or what the tradition etiquette says. I will grant that my opinion on how it should be done is not HOW its done. However just because something "is" doesn't mean thats they way it should be. Thats the naturalistic falsie. Instead, this is a debate about self-responsibility and no one has attempted to answer how its fair to everyone else in the line when the next person is unwilling to ask for 3. Why should riders D,E,F, etc suffer because rider C was unwilling to politely ask a driver if they will take 3?

Posted By: AveMaria
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 4:19pm
It must really suck to be your co-worker, Crewshell.

I have mad sympathy for them -- especially if you are in any type of managerial position.

Not long ago we had a Director with the same type mentality/personality as yours and she sucked the life and morale out of the ENTIRE directorate. It was quite celebratory for EVERYONE (including the bathroom cleaning crew) when she departed and moved up and onto a NEW corporate ladder. Totally unfortunate for the gaining corporation, though. [:(]

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 4:40pm
Ave, do you think you could post on topic?

If you live your life accepting everything that "is" as right I do not envy you one bit. Start examining why things are they way they are and if indeed they should be that way and you'll live a more fulfilling existance.

And for the 4th? 5th? Time, I still challenge anyone to tell me how its fair to those behind the next in line when they are unwilling to ask for 3? Because of one persons personal choice not to ask to take 3, all remaining sluggers suffer.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:00pm
The way this system works is if you're 4th in line, a driver is going to your destination and the first two people get in the car, the 3rd person in line (now first) still has the right to get in that car ahead you, even though you asked the question about a 3rd rider. The key to the slug system is waiting your turn. It may not seem fair, but it has worked for 30 years.

Posted By: AveMaria
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:07pm
I am on topic -- YOU just don't realize it.

You are a troll in LIFE and also in the CYBER world.

Conflict stimulates you.

You dont even participate in the slugging system any longer, yet you troll the website late at night and all thru the day stirring up drama.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:15pm
No you are NOT on topic. The tread name is "take three?" not "lets throw personal insults at a person we don't know and would probably never have the courage to insult in their face simply because we disagree with their opinion. Its far to easy to hide behind the internet. When your brave enough to articulate your position instead of throwing insults come back to the table.

Haha. Why do I need to "still participate" to have a discussion on an issue? I DID participate and I saw how a long line of sluggers suffered because people where unwilling to politely ask the driver to take a 3rd.

you STILL have not answered my question. If you would like to insult me please do so to my face instead of hiding behind this mask of the internet. You have never met me in LIFE yet you call me a troll in "LIFE".

Grow up and learn how to have a discussion.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:18pm
"The way this system works is if you're 4th in line, a driver is going to your destination and the first two people get in the car, the 3rd person in line (now first) still has the right to get in that car ahead you, even though you asked the question about a 3rd rider. The key to the slug system is waiting your turn. It may not seem fair, but it has worked for 30 years."

I agree thats how it currently works.. but lets be honest with ourselves, that is flawed.

That third person (now first) has EVERY RIGHT to get into the car. But if they are UNWILLING or UNMOTIVATED to ask the driver (as they SO OFTEN ARE!!!), or if the driver does not offer it to them the 4th (now second) slug should not have to watch as the car rolls away with only 2 riders in it. That person nor everyone behind them should NOT have to suffer because number 3 was unwilling to simply and politely ask the driver. I've seen it happen so many times where people don't have the confidence or the motivation to ask and everyone else suffers.

Be not asking for a 3rd rider that first person is being inconsiderate to the rest of the people behind them by prolonging their commute.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:28pm
One caution. I have deleted threatening posts in the past, and would not hesitate to do so again. There is no place on this board for anything that resembles a threat. I take my moderator job very seriously.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:36pm
Bob, I am not threatening anyone. I was quite clear in my post above...

"You are inferring that my offer to continue this discussion in person means that I wish to have an altercation. That is not the case.

I simply want to see if you are as willing to throw insults around when someone is looking you in the eyes as you are here online behind the veil of anonymity."

I truly believe that people like to call others names, belittle them and throw insults on-line but would not do so when looking the other person in the eye. Not because there is a threat of violence but because they know its not the proper way to act and its much harder to do so in the presence of a person. Those participating in online discussion often substitute lack of intelligence with childish name calling instead of participating in the conversation rationally and intelligently.

Posted By: Honda_Lady
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 9:10pm
Enough already! If I pull up in my car and I have 3 seats available, I will offer 3 people rides.. period! There is nothing you can do about it. Move on

HondaLover

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 7:15am
ROTFLMAO!!!.

Posted By: GlowingSlug
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 8:14am
I love slugging..........

Posted By: Elemental
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 8:30am
I probably shouldn't jump into the fray after it has quieted down, but crewshell keeps asking why his "system" wouldn't work and questioning Bob's assertion that this would cause chaos. Perhaps he is too focused on wanting this to work to make the connection to Jody's explanation of the drivers out-shouting each other. Here's what I see happening if crew had his way:

Long line of slugs, no cars.
Car drives up, rider A & B get in.
Still one empty seat but Rider C doesn't ask.
Awkward pause while the other riders realize C isn't going to ask.
Rider F shouts "Take three?" at the same time as Rider H.
Oh my gosh - who gets the ride? Who asked first - how do you know? Is it the driver's responsibility to discern who asked first?
The driver wants to get on the road and motions, yes three, both H & F head for the car - somehow one of them wins out the coveted seat and the other one is left cursing and muttering "but I asked first..." and the driver has wasted his time waiting for this mess to settle out.

So, knowing the selfish people out there, if this becomes the norm, you are going to end up with Rider D and G and K and M shouting out "Take three?" as loudly and quickly as they can in an effort to jump ahead and not even waiting for C to ask.

And there, my dear, is your chaos.

Now if we stick with the accepted system of Rider C getting the third seat regardless of who asks, we have a neat orderly system. If you think the line isn't moving fast enough, then take the initiative to ask - knowing that you won't get the seat, but you will still be moving the line and ultimately getting your ride faster. Sure there is a need for "self-responsibility", but slugging is inherently also a collective effort.

Somehow, I suspect this was all an exercise in futility, but at least now crew can no longer claim that no one has explained the rationale behind why it is the way it is...

Posted By: jlcnole
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 8:55am
Bravo Elemental - well said!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 9:14am
Crewshell, I think the safest way to handle your question is the next time you're 4th in line and the rider ahead of you doesn't ask the driver to take a 3rd, ask the rider if you can ask them if they will take you as a 3rd. If the rider says ok, you're on your way home. If they say no and don't ask the driver for themselves, then wait your turn. At least you've given that rider the option.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 9:29am
You pretty much nailed it Elemental. I can sum it all up in a few words though. The reason crewshell's way is not the way it should be done is that his method is rude as hell. Most people have very little tolerance for rude people, and eventually ignore them:).

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 9:48am
I will describe another scenario that also argues for the first slug in line to get the third seat. You have a slug line such as the Rosslyn Crystal City line at Potomac that has two destinations. You have 20 Rosslyn Slugs and 5 cars going only to Crystal so everyone is waiting for something. Then a Rosslyn car pulls up and it is way back of the first slug. Two slugs go back to the Rosslyn car and the slug directly next to the car asks for a third. The ride goes to the first slug in line.

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 10:35am
A few years ago when I was slugging from Potomac we were starting to have long waits for rides into town. A lot of women were shy about asking for a 3rd but realizing that if someone didn't start asking we'd never get there on time. I would be as far back as number 16 or so and ask the driver to take a 3rd. If the answer was "yes" the next slug always hopped in the car. Yes, it irritated me that no one else would do the negotiating BUT always took the ride never thanking me but I never considered running up to take the seat. They were in the line the longest and that's how we behave in this country.

Like another poster said -- if you're in a hurry, drive or take the bus, otherwise call out for those too shy to do so. The result will be the same - the line will move and soon you'll be first.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 11:26am
quote:
Originally posted by crewshell
[br]"Slugging is a cooperative effort to get everybody to work and back home in a reasonable time."

Your absolutely right. And if there is a line of sluggers and there is no line of cars the first person in line should politely ask the driver if they will take 3. If they do not have the desire / motivation the rest of the people behind them should not suffer and the option goes to the next person in line. Again, this is only the case when there is NOT a line of cars. There are several pick up spots that get drivers one at a time with gaps of 2,3, 5, 10 minutes between them.

I can agree with crewshell about someone farther back in line calling out for the driver to take another rider if the person in front does not do so, but I can't agree that it gives the person farther back some kind of free pass to jump in front of the others who have been waiting longer.

quote:

I love this standard un-explained argument. "this causes problems" "this invites chaos" "this will lead to other problems" articulate your position, don't simple make subjective statements and try to pass them off as fact.

We live in a society in which no one is looking out for you, but you. Its not my job to coddul the person in the front of the line. Nor is it their right to delay everyone else.

crewshell fails to observe the simple rules of netiquette as well as the simple rules of social courtesy, as he quotes my earlier post and then rails against arguments that I did not make in that post. Tsk! [:D] I don't lend much credence either to the warnings about chaos ensuing or The End Of The World As We Know It being at hand because of violations on the slug line. My objection to someone from the back of the line bellowing for a driver to take another rider and then claiming entitlement to the now-available seat is a simple matter of courtesy and respect for others. Everyone has stood in lines since they started school and everyone understands line etiquette. Everyone knows that cutting or jumping a line is rude and reflects poorly on the person who does it. Declarations that it is OK to jump lines for those who are sufficiently brazen or testicularly endowed, because nobody is looking out for them besides themselves, are singularly unconvincing. I think that the reward for the person farther back who calls for a driver to take another rider, is that person would be another spot closer to the front if the driver agrees and the next rider hops in.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 5:50pm
Elemental, Bob, Ohio 7, Mycroftt, Jody

Thank you for rationally explaining your position and for not name throwing or insult tossing. I never attacked anyone, yet several people decided to take that route instead of explaining their view on the situation. Very sad.

Elemntal:
I understand how your situation paints a picture of chaos... It indeed would turn into a big ol mess if everyone tried to "jump" ahead... but I see it like this, if slugger C doesn't want to ask, the option should go to slugger D, then to E and F, etc... I am taking a risk here by assuming that a vast majority of Ds or Es would want to take it. If they paused or where unclear I can definitely see how the situation could rapidly break down.. But its kinda like when a new line opens up at the market.. they yell NEXT but if you dont want to move over the privilege just falls back one space, and so on. But yes, again, I could see how this could be bad if people behind C did not respect the proper chain or entitlement. I guess in this sense I am just to idealistic, maybe in the real world it would not work out because of those that would not play by the rules.

Slugcarrier:
I still disagree with your view that this is "rude". Speaking up for yourself is not rude... its not overly "nice" and "selfless" but its not rude. The rude action in this situation is all of the people that are unwilling to ask for a 3rd and thus make everyone else wait longer suffer (how i think many that ARE unwilling to ask, would not have a problem with letting the next person go if they in fact spoke up and asked, however there are some that think if I can't have it no one can!).

Jody:
I've actually done that before and the person said NO!!! and DID NOT ask for herself. (she was like the person I described above) She had no consideration for others. I simply wanted to get home and did not want to see a car roll away that could have gotten me there.

Mycroftt, I was quoting you in the first line, not the second, the second came from Bobs post. Sorry if i did not make that clear. Though I will quote you now.

"My objection to someone from the back of the line bellowing for a driver to take another rider and then claiming entitlement to the now-available seat is a simple matter of courtesy and respect for others."

I see this in a different light. 1) some random person in the back should not be calling out and expecting to jump ahead of the line. My opinion was that the "right to ask" should fall on rider D if C is unmotivated, not rider J, etc. 2) I feel the real matter of courtesy lies with the rider at the front... in consideration for others they should ask for 3 and not make everyone behind them wait longer then need be. I am not sure why they would be "entitled" to the privilege of that seat if they are not willing to ask for it themselves. Letting others ask for them and taking advantage of other peoples personal motivation is a bit lacking in character.

Ultimately the option that was brought up for someone along the line to call out and ask for each rider in the front who is unwilling to do so for themselves is a solution to the problem of people waiting but I feel like that encourages people not to act for themselves and to relay on other people. Why do the work or muster the courage or step outside my tiny world when I know someone else will do it for me? It eliminates the motivation to take self responsibility.

(also on a side note I've only seen this done ... once? twice? and when I tried it just for the sake of getting home faster it caused some confusion because the driver could not hear / see me or did not know who I was asking for (myself or the unwilling meek person up front).

In the end I'll concede that my way of doing it probably relies too heavily on people abiding by the proper structure however it just really gets under my skin when others do not take responsibility for themselves and show a lack of consideration for others when they know their actions will hinder those around them.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 6:31pm
quote:
[br]Mycroftt, I was quoting you in the first line, not the second, the second came from Bobs post. Sorry if i did not make that clear. Though I will quote you now.

"My objection to someone from the back of the line bellowing for a driver to take another rider and then claiming entitlement to the now-available seat is a simple matter of courtesy and respect for others."

I see this in a different light. 1) some random person in the back should not be calling out and expecting to jump ahead of the line. My opinion was that the "right to ask" should fall on rider D if C is unmotivated, not rider J, etc. 2) I feel the real matter of courtesy lies with the rider at the front... in consideration for others they should ask for 3 and not make everyone behind them wait longer then need be. I am not sure why they would be "entitled" to the privilege of that seat if they are not willing to ask for it themselves. Letting others ask for them and taking advantage of other peoples personal motivation is a bit lacking in character.

Ultimately the option that was brought up for someone along the line to call out and ask for each rider in the front who is unwilling to do so for themselves is a solution to the problem of people waiting but I feel like that encourages people not to act for themselves and to relay on other people. Why do the work or muster the courage or step outside my tiny world when I know someone else will do it for me? It eliminates the motivation to take self responsibility.

(also on a side note I've only seen this done ... once? twice? and when I tried it just for the sake of getting home faster it caused some confusion because the driver could not hear / see me or did not know who I was asking for (myself or the unwilling meek person up front).

In the end I'll concede that my way of doing it probably relies too heavily on people abiding by the proper structure however it just really gets under my skin when others do not take responsibility for themselves and show a lack of consideration for others when they know their actions will hinder those around them.

Crewshell - no sweat on the quoting and bringing in other issues. I just wanted to keep my stuff separate from all the other discussions. We're all doing fine.

I'm going to continue to respectfully disagree with your assessment. I think that the next person in line is always the one to get the next available "whatever-it-is-that-you're-waiting-in-line-for" regardless ofany coaching from farther back in the line to help increase the availability. In this case it's rides - in other cases it may be a steak after a golf tournament or oysters on the half shell at a company outing. Coaching the cook or shellfish opener to start preparing for a rush of customers does not entitle the coach to jump the line any more than coaching the slug line entitles the coach to jump that line.

I also think you are only seeing half the story of slugging. You are only looking at the riders' viewpoint and neglecting to consider the drivers'. Cramming all the available slugs into the first cars might result in drivers having to wait an inordinate amount of time. In a system that is supposed to be mutually beneficial for both riders and drivers it is inexcusable to take actions that hurt one of the groups of participants simply because it benefits the other. Doing so places these drivers participation at risk, and the slugging system is the ultimate loser. I really believe in packing cars only in those situations when it is justified by the conditions, e.g. long line, bad weather, holiday weekend, etc.

Thanks for the rational discussion. I think comunication is the key to making this, one of the great grass-root activist movements, continue to be beneficial to all participants.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 6:55pm
Hmmm, I see definitely see your view point but I guess I differ on the word "coaching". Everyone at that front knows that they have the option of asking the drivers to take 3... well actually thats an assumption, maybe they didn't know. If they were unaware then me informing them of this of course would not entitle me to the spot.

My main issue is with people who Choose not to ask for 3 even though they know that by doing so it will increase everyone elses wait time ( and possibily even kick some people into taking the bus). Those people really get under my skin. I've been in several long lines with cars only coming in slow spurts and that 95 degree sun or blistering cold really starts to beat you down after a long day at work.

I also agree that cramming 3 into every car every time could result in a lack of riders for other drivers... I can only say that my opinion expressed here is based on my experiences where I've found myself taking the bus home (along with several others... one time there were almost 7 of us that eventually gave up!)

Anyway its a complicated issue with many factors contributing to its success.

But please for the sake of those poor soles at the back of the Lefant line when there is not a line of cars PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE ask to take 3!!!

Again, thank you for the rational dicussion. I love how all the name callers are silent when they see other people behaving normally.

Cheers!

Posted By: chinquapin
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2007 at 3:09pm
I left slugging about 3 years ago to move to the Louisiana bayous, but I still browse the forums occasionally to remind me of what I am missing. This is one of the most entertaining I've read in a while!!

Good luck to you all, whether you are first in line, or forty-first!!

Posted By: Oosik
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2007 at 4:43pm
Why limit it to taking three, every car that rolls up to a slug lot should be assessed for its capability to take as many passengers as possible. With a van, the slugs should all be crying out "take 5, 6, 7, or even 8." After all, it is our absolute obligation as drivers to take as many individuals who wish to commute free of charge as we possibly can. We further have the obligation to ensure that the vehicle meets not only every safety standard, but also assures the slug of the perfect ride ranging from every aspect of cleanliness (as perceived by the slugs), the perfect radio station -- for every passenger, the opportunity to eat, drink and talk on the cell phone at will. In other words, they should be able to treat our vehicles as if it were their own.

Whether I was picking up with my compact car or my van I did so very early, usually right at 6 a.m.. I knew plenty of drivers would be right behind me and I only took 2 passengers. I did so not out of any great environmental cause on my part but simply because I wanted to use the HOV. Putting another person in the car or van only increased the wear and tear on my car, the potential of having a "bad" slug and increased my potential liability should something happen. I fully understood why the slugs are in line - but some slugs don't seem to understand my own selfish reasons for picking up TWO slugs.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 7:21am
Good post Oosik, and the rationale I also use. Unless it is an extremely inclement day, or a mile long slug line with few cars, I will not take more than two for the vehicle wear and tear and liability reasons you discussed. I haven't had but one bad slug though in 7 years of driving that I refused to take again because of her rudeness. Have had a few that needed to learn how to take a shower or who didn't know that half a bottle of perfume doesn't make them more attractive though:).

Posted By: jadams08
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 3:42pm
OK for all the senior sluggers. I have been slugging now for about 7 months now, and have a fair assumption of the rules, but what irrates me is that when you have people in front of you and you are patiently waiting your turn, and you are almost there to find out that this person that was 10, 6, 3, 1 person ahead of you, and is going to the same destination you are has been picking and choosing his ride. So when a car pulls up for your destination, and you start walking towards the car you look stupid, because you thought that he was going somwhere else……but he must have liked that car better.......how is that fair[?]

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 4:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by jadams08
……but he must have liked that car better.......how is that fair[?]

Sounds like something annoying, but a rider does not have to ride in the next car, just like the driver might refuse to give someone a ride.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 7:19pm
Oosik, your right, its completely up to the driver to take 3 or not, there are many issues that go into that decision.

Jadam, i've noticed that too! I felt dumb walking forward but its just par for the course, haha I feel dumb alot ;)

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 1:12am
For JAdams08

I might be able to answer your inquiry. I slug to get near the Capitol each day. I can get there in several ways. Ideally, I will slug to 14th and G street to get on the Red line at Metro Center. My second choice is 18 and K, to walk a block to another Red line metro. Those are my preferred locations. But slugging is a time thing for me, it allows me to spend more time with my young kids. I am not going to wait a long time just to go to those two locations. So, if after 5 minutes or so, I might be willing to accept a ride to other locations. L'Enfant works for me cause I can slug there, and take either the yellow or green line to Gallery Place to transfer to the Red line. That is my third option. In a worst case scenario I will go to Rosslyn or the Pentagon.

You ask is it fair. I say absolutely! I get up pretty darn early to get to the slug line when I do. A slug line varies each day. Sometimes, I get my desired ride and I am off right away. But I am not going to wait twenty minutes to go to the preferred locations when I can get to a metro that can get me there in ten minutes by choosing an alternative destination based upon where the drivers may be going that day. If you don't like it, get up earlier and then you can be ahead in line. But don't feel like the system is being unfair because some one arranged their life to get there before you.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 1:19pm
to JAdams,

Here's a what if for you. You are the next slug in line, a car pulls up you have ridden with before, going to your destination. For one reason or another, car/driver odor, poor taste in music, driving skills, lack of A/C heat, no seatbelts..You would prefer not to slug with that driver. Would you feel obligated to take that ride, or skip that car and take the next? Is it FAIR?

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 2:17pm
In my observations at the Bob's <> L'Enfant lines, the routine is simple: Two questions must be addressed by drivers, 1.)Where are you going? and 2.)How many? Once those two questions are answered those who are next in line step up and pile in. It matters not who asks the questions, or the answer, but that we all get home safely and expeditiously. Simple enough!

As far as opting not to ride with a particular driver, that's the slugs option and should not incur them any additional penalties (such as losing place in line). I have on occasion passed on a specific car for one reason or another, and the next slug in line is welcome to take that ride. I'll just hop into the next car going my way.

It is also the driver's option to pass on a particular rider if the driver feels so disposed. I would not have a problem if a driver opted to take only two riders, or for some reason did not want to take me but invited the next person in line (perhaps a friend). As before, I'll just hop into the next car going my way.

Finally, as a short wait becomes a long wait, I may become more willing to take a ride semi-close to my destination. For example: I usually ride from Bob's to L'Enfant, but after a half hour of waiting I may accept a ride to 12th (or 14th) and Independence (close enough), that I had turned down before. No harm, no foul, if I am the next in line.

Patience, consideration, and flexibility are the keys to slugging success!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 8:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
As far as opting not to ride with a particular driver, that's the slugs option and should not incur them any additional penalties (such as losing place in line). I have on occasion passed on a specific car for one reason or another, and the next slug in line is welcome to take that ride. I'll just hop into the next car going my way.

This is somewhat how I see the whole "asking for a third". Maybe you didn't ask for a third because you didn't like the driver, or your not motivated enough etc... but that shouldn't eliminate the next person in lines chance to get home!

Anyway, not trying to stir stuff up just another angle to my position. Hope everyone enjoyed their 3 day weekend!

Posted By: Atlantis.99
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 9:49am
As I pull up to the front of the line I yell out (in a very loud voice) "two for xxxxxxxx" In the early days, it used to irk me when I would be immediately questioned "Take Three?", but now I just smile and say "no thank you".

My reason --- the seat behind me is where I put my briefcase, jacket, lunch cooler, etc. For me to get out of my car, clean everything out, and then stuff it in my trunk is inconvienient to me and I choose not to do so.

I reserve the right to change my mind if there was an extreme situation, but the fact that it is after 5:30pm and there are still people in the line, doesn't qualify as extreme in my book.

One more point that I would like to comment on --- please don't ever blame being late for work on a driver not taking three. There are way to many variables in play (what time you left the house, traffic on the local roads, etc). If you are cutting it that close, especially on a repeated basis, you need to adjust your slugging schedule or come up with an alternative plan.

Slug Em' If You Got Em'

Slug-Recipes.Com

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 3:14pm
There has been so much on this topic lately that, even though it's not a hybrid issue, makes me wonder:

Since there in NO advantage to the driver to take extra passengers, and the beneit is only to the slug, why isn't there a charge for the third (and more) passenger(s)?

Take 3? Sure - $5!

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2007 at 7:57am
Your right, it is always up to the driver to say yes or no and I never try to qualify why someone makes the decision they do to turn down or accept a third rider.

NoSUV, I thought you were kicked off?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 2:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]There has been so much on this topic lately that, even though it's not a hybrid issue, makes me wonder:

Since there in NO advantage to the driver to take extra passengers, and the beneit is only to the slug, why isn't there a charge for the third (and more) passenger(s)?

Take 3? Sure - $5!

It's amazing when slime like you occasionally try to infect the sluglines with selfishness and greed like charging for a ride, oh wait, that's right you drive a hybrid. Now it all makes perfect sense!

I've been driving lately (because its good slugline ethics: ride when you need to, drive when you can), and with the rain all week I won't leave someone on the curb in the rain when I have an empty seat! And why should anyone?

Why should anyone ride to work alone?

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 12:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]There has been so much on this topic lately that, even though it's not a hybrid issue, makes me wonder:

Take 3? Sure - $5!

It's amazing when slime like you occasionally try to infect the sluglines with selfishness and greed like charging for a ride, oh wait, that's right you drive a hybrid. Now it all makes perfect sense!

I've been driving lately (because its good slugline ethics: ride when you need to, drive when you can), and with the rain all week I won't leave someone on the curb in the rain when I have an empty seat! And why should anyone?

Why should anyone ride to work alone?

So, I'll ask it again since there has been no mature response:
Since there is NO advantage - only DISadvantage - to the driver to take 3, why shouldn't there be driver compensation? Or is it that slugs are too selfish?

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by elisabeth64
[br]Ok, I'll bite. As both a driver and a slug (about 50/50) I really don’t have a “side” here.

In your scenario you drive up to the slug line in a hybrid (am I right so far?). You then offer to take two people to a specified destination.

At what point do you explain that you are a taxi for hire? Do you wait until you are five minutes down the road, or do you tell them at the window when they walk up?

Also, are you declaring this on your tax return as additional income? Have you filed the necessary applications with the State to ensure you are in compliance with all statutes regulating taxis? Have you informed your insurance carrier that you are now using your vehicle to operate a business?

Finally, now that you have a contract with the slugs (money has changed hands), are you prepared for them to sue you if they are unsatisfied with your service?

Yes, you did bite; hook, line and ....

What you don't know is that NoSUV is a long time agitator in this forum. An agitator who does not participate in slugging. Which would make NoSUV a hypocritical agitator; or someone who argues with no true intention of acting as they say they do and as they say everyone else should. NoSUV only likes to argue. That's it! NoSUV cares not for the environment, nor the economy, nor fellow commuters, nor for anyone who does not agree with NoSUV.

Yes, Liz, your questions make sense, and they are reasonable for a reasonable person. But it does not matter, because you don't agree. And because you don't agree with NoSUV, you have taken sides. But it's OK, we're all with you, outside the nut house, looking in and scratching our heads!

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 11:14am
So, both of you agree that drivers of conventional vehicles have NO REASON to take 3 - their are only disincentives. So, if a driver of a conventional vehicles says that they will take the 3rd for a "tip", then would slugs pass or pay? Or would it depend?

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:01pm
Please don't feed the troll. On this very day, he has posted probably 10 spams. Why would anyone engage him in online conversation while he does this?

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2007 at 3:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Please don't feed the troll. On this very day, he has posted probably 10 spams. Why would anyone engage him in online conversation while he does this?

Bob,

This is my 3rd post of the day - both questions in two placesw are legitimate (if there is no advantage to the driver, should there be a tip involved). If you'll recall, 122... used to make that same arguement.

Just because it threatens your way of thinking doesn't make it spam.

Posted By: Galah
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 10:52am
The motivation for the conventional driver to take 3 is the same motivation you have for owning a hybrid NoSUV their love of the planet. No wait, that's right, if they really loved the planet they'd be taking public transportation, or driving a hybrid, like you, so they're motivation would seem to be to keep alive a viable feasible and affordable system which works very well for a large number of people without requiring that my government invest additional tax dollars regulating it.

Knowing a little bit about queueing theory and the self regulating nature of the slugging system, 'taking three' benefits slugs short term, the price is that it may cost slugs more long term, by turning away 'potential' additional drivers and a resultingly more robust system (more drivers, less chance for slugs being left behind, fewer drivers....). introducing monetary compensation, however, ('tips' as you call them), BEGS for government regulation, taxes, additional safety inspections, more police, all SORTS of things I'm not interested in paying for as long as the syatem is self regulating, apparrently safe and reasonably fair.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net