Print Page | Close Window

Role of the moderators

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3495
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 4:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Role of the moderators
Posted By: DC2RV
Subject: Role of the moderators
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 7:21am
Out of curiousity - are there specific areas of responsibility for each of the moderators?

For example - Does Sludge monitor the General slugging topics, Bob the afternoon slug lines, GetMeHomePweeze the morning slug lines, etc...? Or, do they take turns on a daily basis monitoring the entire site? or is it more informal, i.e., they all monitor all of the topics?

Reason I ask is that I note that sometimes they'll post responses and leave spam (like this AM when Sludge posted a reply at 5:50ish in the general topics, but left spam from last night in other areas).

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Replies:
Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 8:26am
Any why was the whole site locked up because one moderator wouldn't be available until Thursday?

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 8:45am
To be honest, I really havent been active in the boards lately, so I cannot take credit for any cleanup that has been done. On the other hand do not agree with the choice to lock the boards because there would not be sufficient monitoring, though I am not aware of how bad the spam situation is.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 9:20am
DC2RV,
I only delete the spam ads for such things as online pharmacies, cell phone parts, investment offers, etc. from any topic area whenever I see them and have the time. Never anyone's opinions, complaints, recommendations, or slugging information posts.
Earlier this morning, I didn't have time to delete the spam (I had to get on the road to work.) [:)]
I think almost all the other moderators do the same. I've never met them or discussed moderator responsibilities with them. They do their own thing in their own way.
By the way, I never asked anyone to be a moderator. I opened this website one day and saw that I was listed as one.
WOW! What a responsibility! [;)]

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 11:53am
So who decides to lock the forums for 3 days?

I note that 2 comments were posted since last Friday (both by moderators), yet all forums were locked from Friday AM to this AM.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 1:20pm
I decide because I am the one who spends the most time keeping the junk off this site. Anyone wanting to volunteer at least an hour a week is welcome to step up. Otherwise, weekends are closed. Blame the troll.

Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 2:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]DC2RV,
I only delete the spam ads for such things as online pharmacies, cell phone parts, investment offers, etc. from any topic area whenever I see them and have the time. Never anyone's opinions, complaints, recommendations, or slugging information posts.

Same here and I only spend about 30 minutes or so a week doing that.

Posted By: AveMaria
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 9:17am
"The Decider"[:D] has spoken.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 9:48am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]I decide because I am the one who spends the most time keeping the junk off this site. Anyone wanting to volunteer at least an hour a week is welcome to step up. Otherwise, weekends are closed. Blame the troll.

Bob intends to HALT any possible discussion on ANY topic unless HE agrees with the person posting. Note that he's deleted all topics criticizing his work.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 11:14am
I see that "The Decider" has used his veto authority and deleted a post from NoSUV which HE felt was (irrevelent) SPAM.

Not kewl.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 12:11pm
retry:

Bob intends to HALT any possible discussion on ANY topic unless HE agrees with the person posting. Note that he's deleted all topics criticizing his work.

RoadRunner,
I've considered doing that, but haven't (yet) for 2 main reasons:
1. I don't want to lend credence to Bob's assertation that I create multiple ID's and spam the board.
2. NoSUV has a long history on the board, which allows others to check previous posts to evaluate credibility.

It seems Bob doesn't care about all of the other long time posters who agree that debate is worthwhile - Bob has the power to ignore what everyone else wants.

Perhaps something similar to the petition to eliminate HOT needs to happen with others requesting Admin remove Bob's moderator privileges.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 12:22pm
Here are the rules:

No spamming
No trolling
No creation of bogus identiites

Until that happens I will continue on the current path. There are rules and they WILL be followed. There is NO CENSORSHIP based on content. This is ENFORCEMENT of rules. What part of that is not understood?

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Here are the rules:

No spamming
No trolling
No creation of bogus identiites

Until that happens I will continue on the current path. There are rules and they WILL be followed. There is NO CENSORSHIP based on content. This is ENFORCEMENT of rules. What part of that is not understood?

Wow!! You remind me of someone, but I j-u-s-t can't seem to put a finger on who it is! Tsk, tsk, tsk..

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:06pm

continue on the path <=====> stay the course
NO CENSORSHIP <=====> NO NEGOTIATIONS
ENFORCEMENT <=====> BRING IT ON!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:19pm
I was too busy to expand while ago so here I go. Keeping this site clear of junk and spam is the only way to promote the freeflow of discussion, ideas and information. Think about it. We have one person who is complaining of censorship, but that person is the one who is slinging mud all over this site on a daily basis. Which of these two people is promoting free speech? Think about it.

Unfortunately, we are not free to yell fire in a theater, nor are we free to tie up someone's computer with spam, nor sit outside of someone's house and jam their television signals.

There are harmless trolls that just have a little fun. And there are trolls whose agenda is to shut down a website. We are looking at the latter.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:59pm
Bob,

You only choose to censor comments favoring hybrids. IF you were being even-handed, you would either delete all comments relating to hybrids or post differing comments.

There has never been an attempt by me to shut down the website, and the only person who believes so IS YOU.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:05pm
Well I complained about the censorship and you deleted my posts and my quotes from famous americans supporting free speech including George Washington and others. So it is NOT true you only target spammers, you target people who DISAGREE with you!!!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:08pm
That was an isolated case and you know it. Get real. I pledge to make every effort to not let it happen again. I was in a hurry and hit the wrong button. We aren't all perfect. Having said that, I still intend to enforce as before with appropriate troll deletions.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:39pm
Bob,

In my opinion you have let this thing between you and NoSUV cloud your better judgement. You responsibility should mirror those of Sludge, GMHP and Go2Girl of only deleting true SPAM material and not ANY comments, expressions, suggestions or opinions of other registered users -- unless of course they contain racial, religious or moral slurs.

Anything more is blatant CENSORSHIP.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:42pm
....and lastly, controlling access to the website on weekends of YOUR choice is insulting, at best.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:48pm
Yet again, based on Bob's censorship:

RoadRunner,
I've considered doing that, but haven't (yet) for 2 main reasons:
1. I don't want to lend credence to Bob's assertation that I create multiple ID's and spam the board.
2. NoSUV has a long history on the board, which allows others to check previous posts to evaluate credibility.

It seems Bob doesn't care about all of the other long time posters who agree that debate is worthwhile - Bob has the power to ignore what everyone else wants.

Perhaps something similar to the petition to eliminate HOT needs to happen with others requesting Admin remove Bob's moderator privileges.

--
Bob,

You only choose to censor comments favoring hybrids. IF you were being even-handed, you would either delete all comments relating to hybrids or post differing comments.

There has never been an attempt by me to shut down the website, and the only person who believes so IS YOU.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 8:28am
Bob

I am not sure that I know what you wrote I did:

That was an isolated case and you know it. Get real. I pledge to make every effort to not let it happen again. I was in a hurry and hit the wrong button.

But if you say it was an isolated case, and that you hit the wrong button, then, if that is an apology, I accept it. It did seriously tick me off though.

This whole thing is a tad perplexing to me. On the one hand, I do believe in letting people have their point of view expressed, on the other hand, NoSUV is so irritating it is hard to get motivated get up the energy to make the case why he should be allowed to do so. Yet, I do believe there is some value in knowing and learning to defeat opposing positions...

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 9:56am
Censorship, in general, is bad. All information, including rants from arrogant, hybrid-driving trolls and those who do not participate in slugging, has value. In most cases, those rants serve to validate the position and merits of all who do participate in slugging. But this website is not a forum for spammers to abuse with ads, or pollute with irrelevant messages; in these cases censorship is needed.

Thanks to those who have volunteered to police this site. And thanks to all who participate! Thanks even to those of you who post but do not slug; you remind us and allow all of us (sluggers) to rest assured in confidence that our solution is, by far, better than any other option available to reduce traffic, reduce pollution, reduce fuel consumption, and reduce the expenses of commuting! Slugging is so far ahead of any other option in all these areas that I'm sure it will survive despite the challenges of hybrids or HOT lanes.

Someday, urban planners, commuters, and regular folks alike will take slugging for granted as an ecologically/economically viable solution to transportation challenges. It will be routine and pedestrian. Someday people will look at us, the original sluggers, as visionaries and pioneers of this modern transportation system. All Hail the Sluggers!

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 10:28am
Thank you. Since I do spend a couple of hours a week at least on this I do appreciate that someone acknowledges the time and effort. As far as any deletions, believe me, it is the last thing in the world that I want to do, but after two years (YEARS) of this I am just exasperated...

Posted By: sluggie
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 10:46am
Sounds like you need a break, Bob.

See topics on "temporary message board lock" and "WJLA series on slugging."

I see there are 4 other moderators on here. Maybe you should give up the "power trip" and let them "fight" the spam and need for deletions for a while...and you go and take a vacation or something.

You are doing a great deal of damage to this board by constantly locking it. Given the recent publicity about slugging, how are you encouraging anyone to post here? I know if I was new and went on here and noticed the board was locked, I would not be back.

What is it that you do not understand about the board doing well for years without your moderation?

Where is the Admin? I thought I heard something about him moving and not having the time years ago. Wow...the message board survived then without you....and I'm sure once you're gone...it will continue to survive.

Enjoy your vacation. We'll try and survive with the other 4 moderators when you're gone. Oh...and even though the urge will be overwhelming...try not to lock the board when you're gone...

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 11:25am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Censorship, in general, is bad. All information, including rants from arrogant, hybrid-driving trolls and those who do not participate in slugging, has value. In most cases, those rants serve to validate the position and merits of all who do participate in slugging. But this website is not a forum for spammers to abuse with ads, or pollute with irrelevant messages; in these cases censorship is needed.

Thanks to those who have volunteered to police this site. And thanks to all who participate! Thanks even to those of you who post but do not slug; you remind us and allow all of us (sluggers) to rest assured in confidence that our solution is, by far, better than any other option available to reduce traffic, reduce pollution, reduce fuel consumption, and reduce the expenses of commuting! Slugging is so far ahead of any other option in all these areas that I'm sure it will survive despite the challenges of hybrids or HOT lanes.

Someday, urban planners, commuters, and regular folks alike will take slugging for granted as an ecologically/economically viable solution to transportation challenges. It will be routine and pedestrian. Someday people will look at us, the original sluggers, as visionaries and pioneers of this modern transportation system. All Hail the Sluggers!

And who is unbiased enough to deem the relevance of ANY post???

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 11:33am
Troll alert to say the least.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net