Print Page | Close Window

It's a free ride, dont be greedy!!!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3558
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: It's a free ride, dont be greedy!!!
Posted By: Sym
Subject: It's a free ride, dont be greedy!!!
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 8:04am
From what I understand of the "Slug Rules", when a driver (me) pulls up to a line and says the destination...and the Slugger agrees and gets in your car.

For past week I have been picking up in Riders for 18/I and a block or two before the destination, Mind you, for the 22 mile commute from Horner prior nothing, was said. Then a block away they ask to be let out early.

This morning I had an Asian woman in my car who had the nerve to argue with me as to why she did not feel that she should have told me her destination. She even went as far to tell me that "its on the way, why does it matter."

I told her it was a free ride and with the long lines, Im sure someone else would have needed to go to I street!

DOES THIS SEEM EXTREMELY GREEDY!!! to rob antoher rider who is going to the drivers destination

Replies:
Posted By: puglover
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 8:20am
Would it have delayed you that much to stop before getting to I Street? I work near 11th & F Streets, but sometimes will go all the way to K Street if the slug line is really long. This morning I had a gentleman who was going to L Street, but said that he didn't mind walking from G. I took him all the way to K.

I have no problem with stopping anywhere in between to accommodate my riders (as long as it can be done safely). My riders will ask when getting in the car if I can stop at a certain location, and I always say yes. I am thankful to have riders so that I can use the HOV lanes. Maybe you should be thankful, too, considering the alternative.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 8:30am
Sym

It is common for passengers to accept rides that involve getting out before the final destination. If you only want riders going to 18th and I, it might be safer for you to say, 2 to 18 and I only. However, don't be surprised if you find a longer wait for passengers going only to your specific destination. Most drivers do not mind stopping earlier and usually when drivers are crossing the bridge into DC, they ask, where do you want to be let off so they can plan the drive with respect to when they want to get into a right lane. Since the university is near G street it is not uncommon for many 18th street riders to want to get out at G.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 9:32am
To respond to the first. I dont have a problem accomodating a passenger, but COURTESY will prevail at telling someone BEFORE you agree on the destination and NOT a block or two away.

I dont mind waiting for a rider who is going to my destination. In fact, When you tell someone where you are going and agree, get in the car, and change it at the last possible moment, THAT RUDE AND WRONG!

What happen to the slug rules...does anyone follow them??

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 10:53am
The "rules" are not something everyone sat down and voted on or agrred to abide by. They should be looked upon as things we should consider. However, many of the slug drivers or riders have never visited this site, rather they just heard about the system and jumped in a line or drove their car up one day. So there very well may be some people who do not know the rules. And some of it relates to common practice. For example, almost all 14th street drivers will drop a slug off anywhere along 14th street UP to their destination. At L'Enfant, there are really at least three or four drop off points, the "mailbox" (there is no mailbox there anymore like there is no "Bob's" anymore) the metro station or 7th and D. Coming over the bridge, the driver will usually ask which of those three locations is the preferred drop. I do know of one driver who announces "L'Enfant Plaza" which means to him stopping before either of those three locations and dropping people off at the parking lot before the plaza.

As I said before, drivers, and slugs should both clarify the intent of the call. If the driver says 18 and I, and does not say Up to 18 and I, it probably behooves the slug to verify it is up to 18th and I before getting in the vehicle, even if it normal practice for most drivers to let the slug out where he or she prefers. And drivers should be clear it is 18 and I only, if they don't want to drop off earlier. And if you call out that, and wait a while, and no 18 and I come within a reasonable time, you can always change it to up to 18 and I if you just want to get on the way. This way these type of issues do not occur.

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 1:36pm
"Common sense" would dictate that the rider, particularly if they'd never ridden with someone before, would ask when they got in the car or well in advance of the requested drop off point.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 3:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]"Common sense" would dictate that the rider, particularly if they'd never ridden with someone before, would ask when they got in the car or well in advance of the requested drop off point.

Thats exactly my point! Had I known PRIOR it would have not been a big deal. But a block or two away is not Courtesy

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 3:57pm
I see...Even putting the rules aside, Wouldn't it b COMMON COURTESY? This morning, I said 18 & I...the slugger repeated "18 & I" then got in the car only saying hello. It was not till the last minute that she TOLD me to drop her off...not ask....but told.

Posted By: ceejay2
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2008 at 8:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sym
[br]I see...Even putting the rules aside, Wouldn't it b COMMON COURTESY? This morning, I said 18 & I...the slugger repeated "18 & I" then got in the car only saying hello. It was not till the last minute that she TOLD me to drop her off...not ask....but told.

from her account elsewhere on this board about your behavior, i would have told you to let me out too. yes, she got a free ride, but you got to use the HOV lanes thus saving you time and energy. don't you get it? it's a mutually beneficial comuting community?

unfortunately, you will continue to benefit, as reletively few slug system participants read this board. so you won't likely have any problems getting riders. more's the pity.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 9:20am
All things being equal, Sym I totally agree with you! Knowing before hand and letting you (the driver), know ahead of time gives your the "choice and "opportunity" to agree or disagree.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 12:24pm
Im not sure what over elaboration she stated elsewhere on this board, but her attitude was you need me more htan i need you...

Just so you know, there were alot of other sluggers in line that might have needed a ride to 18 & I. The thing is that I told her 18 & U ONLY before she got in the car.

The RULES states you dont change destination after agreed upon!

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 2:02pm
I see that you are talking in absolutes in your statments. I did respond to her blog after I read your post. Unfortunatly, her accounts are less than accurate. Im not sure if she or you have read the slug rules.

You are correct, it is a mutually beneficial arrangement. I get to use HOV, but on the same token the rider does not have a dime come out of there pocket for Gas, vehicle expense, etc... which is fine.

My wife and I think it is rude for her to take a ride, fail to notify us that she needed to be dropped at another location prior, and take a ride away from antoher slugger that DID need a ride to our destination.

Imagine you were going to work, running just in time to get there, you expected to cruise up to your spot and all of a sudden your rider tell you you have to move 3 lanes to the left, drop her off and you have to "deal with it". You then have to cut back over 3 lanes to the left to your spot. Again, there were alot of other riders in line that would have just appreciated a ride and walked the 2 blocks back.

My question to you is, "Would you be that rude to the rider who drove you and to your fellow sluggers wo depend on the service?"

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 2:04pm
CeeJay.....

I see that you are talking in absolutes in your statments. I did respond to her blog after I read your post. Unfortunatly, her accounts are less than accurate. Im not sure if she or you have read the slug rules.

You are correct, it is a mutually beneficial arrangement. I get to use HOV, but on the same token the rider does not have a dime come out of there pocket for Gas, vehicle expense, etc... which is fine.

My wife and I think it is rude for her to take a ride, fail to notify us that she needed to be dropped at another location prior, and take a ride away from antoher slugger that DID need a ride to our destination.

Imagine you were going to work, running just in time to get there, you expected to cruise up to your spot and all of a sudden your rider tell you you have to move 3 lanes to the left, drop her off and you have to "deal with it". You then have to cut back over 3 lanes to the left to your spot. Again, there were alot of other riders in line that would have just appreciated a ride and walked the 2 blocks back.

My question to you is, "Would you be that rude to the rider who drove you and to your fellow sluggers wo depend on the service?"

Posted By: ceejay2
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 9:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sym
[br]CeeJay.....

Sym,
what an interesting assumption on your part that i haven't read the slug rules. i have been utilizing the slug system for nearly 10 years. how about you?

i actually think there was some blame on both sides here. your passenger should have clarified F Street when you called out 18th street. in that way, if you were damn determined not to stop before I street, you could have told her that before she got into the car. also, what was the weather like that morning? was it cold, windy, and nasty? two blocks in bad weather is a long time to walk. and it wouldn't have hurt you in the least to let her out on F Street, since you were snug and warm in your car. okay, let me put it this way. your wife was also in the car. would you have made your wife walk those two blocks in bad weather? if she hadn't been riding with you, would you have been irritated that some rude guy driving refused to let your wife out where she needed to go and demanded that she walk two blocks in bad weather, and then called her rude on this board? no judgement, just something to think about.

please Sym, don't assume i'm someone who doesn't know the slugging rules. i do. i also understand that there are three sides to every story.

i have always found our evening slugs to be very polite, and very thankful that we are willing to drop off in the Horner lot wherever they have parked their car. i don't think you'll find any complaints about us on this board.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net