Print Page | Close Window

Paying for rides!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3618
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Paying for rides!
Posted By: sandy
Subject: Paying for rides!
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:58am
Hello Everyone,

I am usually a slug from Bob's to 18th and E, but sometimes I drive, but 80% of the time I am a slug.
I just wanted to see how everyone feels about slugs paying drivers a minimal fee to catch a ride.

The way it works right now:
The driver's Expenses are:
Monthly Parking is around 200-250.00 (downtown area)
Gas (I dont have to tell you about gas prices)
Wear and Tear on the car

BUT, as a driver, your ONLY benefit is being able to get to your destination faster because of slugs in your car.

AS a SLUG, you also get to your destination faster, but you also save LOTS of $$$ in GAS, Parking And wear and tear on your car.

So CLEARLY, the slug has a MAJOR advantage in the way the system works right now, you get ALL the benefits for FREE. It is like having your own Chauffeur.

If I was to take the metro from Springfield, to Farragut West i would spend about 12.00/day (includes parking fee at metro) so FREE rides are obviously better.

MY POINT:
We as slugs should start contributing to a GAS fund for the driver who is nice enough to give us a ride, i am not suggesting an exorbitant amount; off the top of my head I would suggest 1 DOLLAR per ride at a minimum that would allow the driver to get 4/day which would be about 1 Gallon of gas per day.

It only seems fair to me, I understand that some of you will NOT like this proposal. But think about the alternative if you were to drive (Gas, parking, wear and tear) or take the metro (fares and Parking and Time) you still come out ahead by paying just 2/day for slugging. Everyone is being affected by the current state of our economy, lets be fair to our fellow drivers so we can all continue to benefit from this amazing system.

Like I said, I am mostly a slug and truly will NOT mind paying 2/day for all the aforementioned benefits.

What do you all think??

thanks

S

Replies:
Posted By: 3-For-HOV
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:11am
This has been discussed before:

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2589&SearchTerms=tip,paying

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:36am
Some private industry companies and government agencies offer free parking for their employees.

Posted By: pwbnd
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:58am
If drivers don't feel it's worth it to pick up slugs, they won't. If, in the future we find ourselves extremely short on drivers, then there might be a need for an extra incentive, to increase supply.

I disagree with your statement that slugs have a MAJOR advantage over drivers in the system. If that were true, the system would've tanked long ago. No system that is as reliant on the laws of supply and demand as slugging is would've lasted 30 years if one side was seeing substantially more benefit than the other.

I'm sure there have been and will continue to be arguments about who benefits most from the system, but the truth is, it must be a pretty even split for the system to have lasted this long.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:19am
sandy,

If you charge for rides, you might have to apply for and pay for your taxi license and the associated business and insurance fees. I'm not a lawyer, but you might want to look into the legal side of that.

Slugging has always been a mutual-benefit enterprise with NO CASH changing hands. If it's costing you or other drivers too much to drive and the time savings of picking up slugs are no longer worth it to you, then don't drive.

If the slug lines get to the point where they're not supported by enough drivers, slugs will have to either drive themselves or resort to public transportation.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:13am
Why in the world would anyone try to fix something that is not broken?

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:21pm

In my opinion, right or wrong, I think that the system is already broken, for the drivers NOT the slugs of course.

Regarding the 1 dollar fee, it would be a DONATION for gas NOT a way for the driver to make $$$. HARDLY. I am not a Tax lawyer, but how is it different from setting up a carpool and helping the driver w/the monthly Gas bill? I used to be part of a carpool and she did not report whatever $$$ we gave her to the IRS. I can attest to that.

Yes if its not working for you as a driver, then simply become a slug. Problem solved Right? well some ppl, drive to work because they have to and are unable to slug. In the instances in which I drive, I do it because I have to pick up my daughters or need the car to do errands during the day, or go to meetings etc.

Regarding guidelines to follow when donating a dollar, "who is gonna set up the guidelines?" someone asked. Well who setup/enforces the guidelines right now??? NO ONE.
When I have been a driver Here are some of the few things that have happend to me while a driver:

-People w/suitcases requesting for me to open the trunk(can you say TAXI?).
-People Farting in my car w/horrendous smell
-People requesting me to drop them at a diff. spot that the agreed destination.
-People w/grocery bags who while getting in the car hit my car w/their cans of tuna.
-People talking on the phone THE WHOLE WAY (talk about making you feel like a chauffeur)
-People that, for WHATEVER reason have not showered in days and have this unbearable body odor.
-People applying MAKE UP on them WHile i drive.

Yes there are guidelines that everyone talks about here on the board but who setup/enforces these guidelines right now??? NO ONE.

Here is a quote from the same discussion in 2005 from user 122582
back them ppl complained about the price of gas about to hit 3 dollars, now is about to hit 4 dollars w/no end in sight, here is the quote:

"Slugs who never drive or otherwise contribute anything (other than their rear end in a seat) need to think about supporting the system.
"

I knew that my post would not be popular, but I am just giving my .02 cents.

Thanks.

S
I would love to hear from people who are 100% drivers, anyone??

Posted By: guishermo
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 2:32pm
I think the system works, but at the same time it doensn't, this is so conflicting.

Supply and demand are doing its work, but gas is changing that a little bit and I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Slugging till HOT

Posted By: PickEmUpAndBringEmHome
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:48am
I drive 100% of the time. Now, if some nice slugs were to have say non-monetary items like Donuts or better yet Sticky Buns, that would be a more acceptable, palatable, and tax-free form of compensation.

To Sandy's point however, I have considered taking an American Airlines approach and setup a charge for the 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th, etc) bag that some slugs insist on trying to cram into my car. http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/american-airlines-to-charge-25.html.

We could also implement a Dogbert type charge for anything that Slugs do that annoy us; the worse the pet peeve, the higher the charge.

FKA Atlantis.99

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:11am
It seems to me that drivers are mostly still willing to bear all of the expenses for the trip - and what's a few more dollars?

Of course, if slugs are looking ahead, they might realize that when the tolls arrive, drivers could well say again - what's a few more dollars? And bypass the slug lots.

How much does it cost to give the drivers a sense of good will for potential future rides? Or should slugs bet that drivers will trade the toll cost for convenience?

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:52am
NoSOV

IF, and that is the big question, HOV3 remains free, and tolls are imposed, and if these tolls are as high as 40.00 each way from Stafford, drivers will be very happy to pick up slugs. Heck, it may even be to their benefit to pay people to ride with them. I am not advocating I am just saying there will be MORE incentive to pick up slugs. Even Springfield, at 8.00 each way would be a financial incentive to pick up slugs, IF HOV3 remains after tolls. Of course, it will be unlikely to remain free. More likely, 1/2 price, but even so, tolls add up. It won't be just a few dollars more for most, it will be alot of dollars more added to high fuel prices.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 1:09pm
If this idea of offering money for gas takes hold, I see problems arising in the line. A possible scenario: A rider at the front of the line offers $1 towards gas but another rider (who needs to get downtown fast), offers $2 to jump to the head of the line to get the ride. Not good.

For a system that has worked 30 yrs, leave well enough alone.

Posted By: Checkers
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 4:53pm
Each side meets a need which, without both sides, would never be met. Mutual, I'm sure.

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 7:17am
I'm with mycrofft on this one - leave well enough alone.

If you, as a slug, are worried about things not being equitable, then drive at least once a week.

The link that someone posted about the same topic was from 3 years ago. Same issues, yet the "system" somehow survived... What does that tell you?

Posted By: BIG NAT
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:59pm
I agree with paying a nominal fee for sluggin but people are too use to the system as it is and will find every excuse to keep from changing. If there were a shortage of drivers, then this would be a great idea to all those who don't like the idea right now.

There would have to be a significant drop in drivers for this to happen. I say to those that drive, try to get a carpool going and stick with those folks take turns driving, giving gas money, etc.
This approach might get drivers off the road and cause everyone to consider helping out with gas.

It's not about tax implications and fixing broken stuff as some ppl. have posted. Gas is ridiculous and everyone is suffering. Be considerate and give your driver a dam dollar!

BIG NAT

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 2:10pm
It's my suspecion that Bob is right about HOT being the end of the slug system - and most likely this issue will be one of the reasons. As has been stated before, slugging works because it is mutually beneficial; drivers go fast and slugs pay nothing. When HOT arrives, drivers can go fast without slugs, and the incremental cost of the toll may well be insignificant for drivers compared with the uncompensated costs of driving.

When the drivers stop picking up slugs, and "tip" money is finally forthcoming, it will be too late - the drivers who left the system won't know about tips being offerred.

The system "working" now versus the potential of later may be worthy of a different thread.

Posted By: Fshiferaw
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by sandy

Hello Everyone,

I am usually a slug from Bob's to 18th and E, but sometimes I drive, but 80% of the time I am a slug.
I just wanted to see how everyone feels about slugs paying drivers a minimal fee to catch a ride.

Wear and Tear on the car

BUT, as a driver, your ONLY benefit is being able to get to your destination faster because of slugs in your car.

AS a SLUG, you also get to your destination faster, but you also save LOTS of $$$ in GAS, Parking And wear and tear on your car.

So CLEARLY, the slug has a MAJOR advantage in the way the system works right now, you get ALL the benefits for FREE. It is like having your own Chauffeur.

If I was to take the metro from Springfield, to Farragut West i would spend about 12.00/day (includes parking fee at metro) so FREE rides are obviously better.

MY POINT:
We as slugs should start contributing to a GAS fund for the driver who is nice enough to give us a ride, i am not suggesting an exorbitant amount; off the top of my head I would suggest 1 DOLLAR per ride at a minimum that would allow the driver to get 4/day which would be about 1 Gallon of gas per day.

It only seems fair to me, I understand that some of you will NOT like this proposal. But think about the alternative if you were to drive (Gas, parking, wear and tear) or take the metro (fares and Parking and Time) you still come out ahead by paying just 2/day for slugging. Everyone is being affected by the current state of our economy, lets be fair to our fellow drivers so we can all continue to benefit from this amazing system.

Like I said, I am mostly a slug and truly will NOT mind paying 2/day for all the aforementioned benefits.

What do you all think??

thanks

S

Fshiferaw

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by sandy

Hello Everyone,

Wear and Tear on the car

MY POINT:

What do you all think??

thanks

S

Fshiferaw

Posted By: HOV3Slug
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:09pm
A dollar? Hey, if you going to be cheap let's not make an issue out of it.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 3:17pm
The gas prices are going to keep going up and i don't belive $1 is good enough. As it was stated earlier from three people you are not even getting the one gallon price of unleaded gas.

common lets contribute to the driver.

Thanks
F

Fshiferaw

Date Posted: 01 May 2008 at 10:08am
A few years ago, I registered with commuter connections to try and join or start a carpool with destinations of Springfield to 17th & K. I got people looking for rides from 14th & Independence and 23rd & N. So I stayed with the slug line.

Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:03am
I slugged for about 5 years and am now in a carpool. Due to work schedules and travel I am sometimes the only one in my pool going in to work. My choices are to slug, take the VRE, or to drive. If I decide I want to drive I pick up slugs to reduce the amount of time it takes for me to drive to and from work. The additional gasoline cost of having two passengers is negligible and is way more than offset by the convenience of driving on the HOV, not to mention spending less time sitting in traffic burning gas while not moving.

If any driver is so self-centered as not to be able to see what the slugs are contributing to your commute, I suggest they drive to work in the regular lanes for a couple of days and compare your gas consumption, your time, and your stress level while driving on the regular lanes and on the HOV. You will then have a good understanding of what the slugs contribute. In fact you will probably be willing to pay the slugs a dollar to get in your car.

Suppose the slugs went on strike for a week and refused to get in any car without being paid a dollar. As a driver it would be more than worth it for me to ante up and drive in the HOV.

Posted By: beachhead
Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 6:33am
The beauty of the slug system is that it has always been based on a market. If drivers want to start collecting fees for rides, let them try. The market will regulate itself. I have driven and ridden in this system. I won't ever ask anyone to pay me for a ride and I won't ever get in a car whose driver asks for or expects money. If the HOT works the way we are always told it will, then drivers will get to drive in the express lanes without paying, as long as they have enough riders. That ups the value of slugs in the car, whether or not they are talking on their cell phone, not wearing seat belts, farting, picking their noses or whatever. These are behaviors that can be modified if the driver insists on "appropriate" slug behavior in exchange for the ride. Let's not mix them up with the cost of transporting people in the HOV lanes. The market will take care of that. If you are a driver and don't think so, try collecting a fare from your slugs tomorrow. And would we then all have to wait longer to pick up or be picked up because every car will have to conduct negotiations for every slug? Please, let's get real here.

Posted By: J.T.
Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:11am
Thanks Beachhead! That's a great way to close this thread. However, by the sound of it, the topic will come up again in about 3 years so we may want to remember this discussion. [:D][:D][:D]

Posted By: whatever_k
Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 1:36pm
Hmm, I am always the driver and I too have mixed feelings about the slugs paying for rides. Sometimes I do think to myself being a slug has MAJOR benefits and what do I get ungrateful, rude, smelly and sometimes demanding riders. Someone either wants you to turn the air on or roll the window up, or turn the radio up or down. My thought is your getting a free ride sit back and close your eyes. I've noticed over the past few months driving are asking for a lot more benefits. I've thought about being a slug but have not opted for it yet. I look at how some drive and don't think my tinker could handle it.

I've very interested to see if money will exchange hands. Sometimes the riders are not worth the smell I have to endure for 20 minutes or so. Nor is the constant talking on cell phones.

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: 14 May 2008 at 10:46am
I am relatively new to the Slug system, been driving HOV for a few years now. My view is that slugs will have to pitch in for gas sooner or later. The Metro system is beyond capacity already, taking VRE and Metro to work is pretty expensive and both options will add a great deal of time to the commute each way. Have you tried getting out of a Metro parking garage in rush hour lately. One person noted that some companies offer free parking but those lucky individuals are few and far between. I think that the old time riders are stuck in another time when gas was cheap and rides were plentiful. I believe that slugs will be standing in longer and longer lines because fewer drivers will be able to afford the parking ($250) and $4.00 or more per gallon of gas. I think the system is breaking and HOT lanes could be the straw that broke the camels back. Not every drive comes in from as far as Stafford, Fredericksberg etc. and HOT lanes in from Sringfield might be a good alternative to sitting in lines waiting for slugs who want a free ride and offer nothing in return.

Driver looking forward to the HOT lanes

Date Posted: 14 May 2008 at 12:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by Ollie

I am relatively new to the Slug system, been driving HOV for a few years now. My view is that slugs will have to pitch in for gas sooner or later. The Metro system is beyond capacity already, taking VRE and Metro to work is pretty expensive and both options will add a great deal of time to the commute each way. Have you tried getting out of a Metro parking garage in rush hour lately. One person noted that some companies offer free parking but those lucky individuals are few and far between. I think that the old time riders are stuck in another time when gas was cheap and rides were plentiful. I believe that slugs will be standing in longer and longer lines because fewer drivers will be able to afford the parking ($250) and $4.00 or more per gallon of gas. I think the system is breaking and HOT lanes could be the straw that broke the camels back. Not every drive comes in from as far as Stafford, Fredericksberg etc. and HOT lanes in from Sringfield might be a good alternative to sitting in lines waiting for slugs who want a free ride and offer nothing in return.

Driver looking forward to the HOT lanes

So you're relatively new to slugging but feel qualified to declare that the system is broken and longtime participants who don't see it your way are stuck in another age, eh? Isn't it more likely that those who have been with the system for years are a bit more qualified to determine if it's broken or not? [:D]

How about if we set up two lines for each destination, one for the drivers who demand money and the slugs who are willing to pay it, and another for the current no-pay system. Then the market can determine what happens. All the "Gas, Grass, or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free" drivers will sit in a lengthening line until all the free rides are gone and the slugs migrate over to pay for a ride to work (if they don't just buddy-up and ride to work in their own vehicles). If any of the "No Pay - No Ride" drivers doesn't want to wait, they can go over to the free line, trading their fare for a quicker commute. As a driver, you will find me in the free ride line.

Date Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:27pm
Ollie says "The Metro system is beyond capacity already, taking VRE and Metro to work is pretty expensive and both options will add a great deal of time to the commute each way. Have you tried getting out of a Metro parking garage in rush hour lately. One person noted that some companies offer free parking but those lucky individuals are few and far between. I think that the old time riders are stuck in another time when gas was cheap and rides were plentiful. I believe that slugs will be standing in longer and longer lines because fewer drivers will be able to afford the parking ($250) and $4.00 or more per gallon of gas. I think the system is breaking and HOT lanes could be the straw that broke the camels back. Not every drive comes in from as far as Stafford, Fredericksberg etc. and HOT lanes in from Sringfield might be a good alternative to sitting in lines waiting for slugs who want a free ride and offer nothing in return.

Driver looking forward to the HOT lanes"

Lets see, looking forward to HOT so you can ride solo for a fee huh? On top of the other costs you mention in your post, now add the tolls. Estimates are that the toll will probably be about 1.00 per mile during peak rush hour. Springfield to DC is 13 miles. So 26.00 per day round trip. 130.00 a week. 6,760.00 a year. Still anxious for those HOT lanes are we? If you have a choice to avoid paying that amount by picking up slugs, what will most people do? Now when everyone starts doing that what happens? HOT can't pay for itself anymore. So what will they do? They start charging drivers who pick up slugs 1/2 the toll, and they raise the tolls for everyone else. Drivers still save at least 3,380.00 a year by picking up slugs. Solo drivers will probably pay greater than 7,000.00 a year from Springfield. But HOT will remain clogged because Metro definitely is a bad deal time wise from Springfield, 45 minutes, and that doesn't include the time to get into and out of the metro parking lot and to walk to the metro line to and from your car. If your office is not next to a metro stop, you have to walk from the station to your office. So, if you can drive into DC in 15 minutes, or metro, what do you think people are going to do? VRE is a bit better because there are less stops but it is cost prohibitive from Springfield on in. The overwhelming number of VRE riders live from Burke Centre and further out to Manassas, or from Woodbridge and further south. So eventually, HOT will end the slugs for half price and then you and the rest of the people who can afford it will pay the cost of supporting HOT on your own. But what happens to the slugs? They pay to ride alone now too, adding three times the number of cars in the HOT, and the system collapses in congestion. And guess what HOT will do then? Raise the toll of course. 10,000 a year from Springfield will not be out of the question.

Posted By: CatHerder
Date Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:49pm
HOT SNAFU. If you want riders to pay, form a carpool.

Posted By: dudte
Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:48am
I am always a driver now. For 3 years I was always a rider. Regardless of the price of gas I don't want $$ involved. I am happy to drive because I get to fly by all those to the right, creeping along at 5 mph. When I rode, I was happy to get a ride. It was and is mutually agreeable. We all say thanks when it is done.

If I get money it is no longer a mutually agreeable and equitable event. If I am expected to pay (as a rider) my expectations change.

I will continue to be a slug driver if/when HOT comes. I like mutually agreeable, voluntary activities. I feel good slugging, whether I ride or drive. There are few enough complainers, farters, and whiners and way too many pleasant, polite, and respectful people to stop doing this. Keep your dollar or two. My feel good is way to valuable. Hop in, lets go home!

Posted By: JanMichael
Date Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:24am
I love Slugging. You guys ROCK!! THANKS for the ride.[:p]

Posted By: Paula
Date Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:07am
As a driver, I do not want money to take slugs to the city.

If I wanted money to carry passengers, I'd paint my MINI yellow and stick a TAXI sign on top!

I appreciate what slugs do for me (faster trip) and appreciate that I'm helping the environment by taking a car off the road.

Hopefully the system will continue working the way it is.

Posted By: jadams08
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 1:43pm
The system is done! With rising fuel costs and the HOT lane coming..it wont be long before slugging will be taken out in to the field and put out of its misrey......

Hey if slugging gets killed, will we still keep the website? At least we can have a place to come an complain about the HOT lanes.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:44pm
Jadams08, oh ye of little faith. I doubt very much that Slugging will deminish in any way when/if HOT Lanes come along.

Us Sluggers are in it to win it!

Posted By: winglover1
Date Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:40pm
I'm all for it being both a rider and driver.
It doesn't matter if they have a free parking spot, what matters is keeping people picking up slugs. If gas prices get too high, there will be much fewer drivers and the slug lines will die a slow death like a real Slug on salt. Would it kill you to chip in a buck? no! I have!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!

Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 10:50am
This is exactly the point i was trying to make at the beginning when I first posted this. Since then, the price of gas has gone up .75 cents a gallon and it is now over 4/gallon, with no end in sight, the Slug lines (in case you havent noticed, continue to get longer and longer) as drivers continue to become slugs due to the price of gas.

There are less and less drivers everyday, as a slug you have to wait longer and in longer lines.

I myself, dont drive as often anymore.

But most people still think that chipping in a buck per ride is too much. I have given drivers gas $$, I just dont want all drivers to convert to slugs and the only way to prevent that, in my opinion is to chip in for gas $$$.

$2.00 round trip is still WAY cheaper than any other mode of transportation.

Again just my opinion.

Slug away, until the system dies a slow death and you start paying $12/day for going to work, then you will be wishing you had chipped in for gas.

quote:
Originally posted by winglover1

I'm all for it being both a rider and driver.
It doesn't matter if they have a free parking spot, what matters is keeping people picking up slugs. If gas prices get too high, there will be much fewer drivers and the slug lines will die a slow death like a real Slug on salt. Would it kill you to chip in a buck? no! I have!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!

Posted By: AWinner
Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:28pm
I am a slugger and I believe that drivers should be compensated. ESPECIALLY if lines are consistently long, as they are in many places. This indicates that supply and demand alone is not working and incentives are needed. On the other hand, if there are too many drivers, maybe drivers should pay for slugs. Basically, the supply and demand can be equalized if incentives are added.

Realistically, making this type of drastic change requires lots of planning and perhaps it would not be worth the effort.

The forum needs a polling feature to record the results. Something like 10 drivers want money, 15 don't, 8 slugs are willing to pay, 20 aren't. I made this up - maybe someone with more desire can do the actual, though unofficial count.

Date Posted: 30 May 2008 at 12:52pm
Just a question ... Is there a slug out there who has had a driver pull up to the front of the slug line, strick out his or her hand, and say "give me gas money for a ride"?

Some drivers on this thread said they want slugs to pay a dollar or so for gas -- but have any drivers actually demanded payment at a slug line? Have any of you experienced this? (I do remember there was the driver who used to post here who said he had a "Tips Jar".)

I agree that supply and demand works. Slugging does not guarantee that a slug will get a ride every time they get in line -- but they usually do.

Slugs should always have a back-up option ready before they ever get in a slug line. When I've slugged, my back-up (when the line is long and I don't get a ride in the amount of time I can spare) has been to either take the bus or get back in my car to drive myself (with slugs, hopefully). A basic tenant of slugging has always been no money is exchanged. I don't think that should change.

Posted By: Scraper
Date Posted: 30 May 2008 at 4:03pm
Wow - It is very simple, you get in a car, and you give the driver a buck. If it is raining - $1, if it is snowing $1, if it is sunny $1, if it is a really long line $1, short line $1. One whole dollar to move your carcasses to work and one whole dollar to get it home again where you can spend another night sleeping on the pillow you made from dryer lint. Can we say cheap!! At $4 per gal, gas is expensive; you think $1.00 is going to bring down the whole slugging system. Come on, pry open the wallet and offer a buck. If you are a driver that prefers to pay all expenses, politely say “no thank you, thanks for offering”, that would still be an option. Jeeze!

I have been driving for years, and have never been offered gas money or asked for it. I figure I do save gas by picking up slugs because I get better gas mileage in the HOV lanes, but many of you think $1.00 is too much to ask, REALLY?!?!. GAS IS $4.00 A GALLON, this is no longer the slug line that most of you spend so much time reminiscing about. I used to rarely be asked if I would take an extra person, now it happens most days. The times they have changed. I guess next time I am asked if I can take another person, I will say no and see what that does to all of your supply and demand models that so many of you are so proud of - Pahleeze!! It is a dollar!!! In fact, I encourage all of you drivers to just say no to an extra person, let’s see that change supply real quick.

Someone here actually said, "If I get money it is no longer a mutually agreeable and equitable event. If I am expected to pay (as a rider) my expectations change." - I don't know I am guessing a lawyer wrote this. What does this even mean?!?! What expectations do you currently have of your riders and this equitable event?

Times are hard for all of us right now; I truthfully don’t think $1 is too much to ask. Like so many others, I as a driver am looking at other ways of commuting which don’t include you, sorry and good luck to you.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 1:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by elisabeth64

Great! With the two bucks you collected from your slugs that morning you can buy a slurpy or a half a gallon of gas!
[V]Let's do the math together - $1 x 4 (2 riders there and 2 riders home)= $4 a day. Do that 5 times a week and your have $20. About a third of a tank of gas. I don't know where you buy your slurpy, but they are ripping you off.

Will you accept penny rolls, or will you demand only paper money? Will you carry change in case your slug only has a $20 bill? What about metro checks, will you accept those too?
[V]Are you kidding? Or trying to make some point?

The milk of human kindness has run dry. Kinda sad.
[V]Because people like you are sucking it dry.

I have always admired when drivers take a third or pick up a slug after 6:00 pm. That is what makes our system so great. I, for one (as a driver), am not willing to compromise that for a lousy $4 a day. We are better than that.
[V]You can still pick up after six, and still take a third, why are you even bringing this into the conversation. I suggested it would throw a wrench into a lot of the supply/demand models being created, but where has anyone said you can no longer do this. We are talking about the high price of gas, it is over $4 a gallon. A rider rides in for free and rides home for free. Yes, the driver gets to ride in the HOV lanes, but so do the riders. A driver also gets to pick up your trash, put up with your perfumes, colognes or other smells and generally has to put up with you. Let's face it, the person receiving the highest value here is the rider. And even at $2 a day, I still think they are recieving the better deal. If I did not need my car during the day, I would slug too.

We are all in this together.
[V]I think that is the point of this whole thread, and for now the drivers are feeling a HUGH pinch.

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 8:31pm
Exactly!
No money exchanges hands! [:)]

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 9:07pm
Interesting thread.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 10:51am
Just to give you an example:

Monthly parking: 250.00
Monthly Gas(as of now): 240.00 this number will keep going up
wear and tear on my car: 50.00 Guesstimation
Grand total Monthly: 490.00
GRAN TOTAL YEARLY: 5880.00

SLUG's GRAND TOTAL YEARLY: $0.00

Yes I know, I could slug right??? well I tried slugging last week 15minutes waiting at bobs in the morning.
35 minutes waiting at 19th and G when going home.
total of 50 minutes waiting in line.

it just doesnt work for me, lately i need my car most days so that i can drop off kids, do errands and more importantly get home fast to my kids to attend various functions. Well if i slug I can NO LONGER get home fast, lines are longer and there are less drivers. I simply need to drive more often than not. But as i pick up slugs, i feel taken advantage off.

Once again:
- Drivers are slowly but surely becoming SLUGS so that they too can milk the system instead of people getting free rides from them.
- Slug lines are becoming longer and longer
- Waiting has become longer and longer
- Gas is expensive(newsflash!!)
- dont understand what is the big deal of paying 2/daily
- As a slug you are taking advantage of your driver. Just look at the numbers above.
- Pry your wallets open!!! jeeeez!!!

Keep the system alive TIP your drivers!!!

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 11:02am
From Rt 3 to Pentagon, the savings calculator on the slug-lines.com home page shows that a slug saves over $19,000 per year.

My idea of tipping came from a slug, oddly enough.

I picked up a lady one Friday afternoon, and when I got home, found money on my back seat.

The following Tuesday, I happened to see my passenger again, and tried to return the money, assuming it had fallen out of her purse.

She told me that since she elected to be a full time slug, she decided that every Friday afternoon, her ride home would "get a little something to help with gas".

That was back in 2005.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 4:28pm
I am reminded of that old Saturday Night Live quote "Jane, you ignorant slut, who did you sleep with to get this job?"

What don't you understand about the price of gas? Do you get free gas somewhere? Yes, there are benefits on both sides here. I don't think anyone is arguing that. Drivers get to ride in the HOV, it does save us time and a little gas since we get better gas mileage driving rather than sitting. And of course we won't get a ticket with the proper number of people in our cars. Riders get a free ride home for standing a couple of minutes in a line. Can we all agree to this?

Since you claim to enjoy driving people around so much for the benefit of all humanity, I think in your past lives, some of you must have been bus drivers giving free rides all day - good for you.

For me, and I am sure others out there, this is a necessity. I don’t do this to get a warm fuzzy feeling. Since you asked, a carpool does not work for me because of my work hours. Slugging gives me a two hour window when I can usually pick people up and drive home in the HOV lanes. I am not trying to knock anyone who does this out of the kindness of their hearts. I am just honestly saying, this system works, but I am starting to see some cracks. I would honestly love to see it keep working, but I think as many of you have pointed out, the lines are getting longer, drivers are getting fewer. I truly believe the reason is mostly due to the price of gas. So argue all you want, but unless we are all going to start driving with elisabeth64, I think we need to do something.

Posted By: ONLYISLANDLADY
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 4:45pm
wow. so much frustration. yes the system works. in the future with hot lanes, if the driver decides to drive alone, slugs will have to ride bus or drive or something else. right now, its working. a paying system wont work because then the driver has to accept compensation from jobs etc for public transport and how is that not going to be declared as income then. if the driver has a problem with increasing gas prices, sorry...dont drive. like one person mentioned...its a simple idea of supply and demand. lastly, its a choice.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:29pm
"a paying system wont work because then the driver has to accept compensation from jobs etc for public transport and how is that not going to be declared as income then"

Duh, excuse me, WHAT?!?! Did you read this before you hit the post button? Are you a tax lawyer? Reimbursement in not income, is that the point you were trying to make. Is your hat to tight? Were you remembering the days riding to school on the small bus?

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 11:13pm
Drivers demanding payment and slugs helping out are 2 entirely different things.

No one has suggested a fee for service, only that the career slugs do some soul searching and help keep the system working.

At current gas prices, there are cheaper venues for drivers which don't take much more time.

Slugs have to recognize that the daily driver is driving because they do not mind paying their way to work, and hauling a slug saves a few minutes. The daily slug is slugging because they want a free ride to work.

When I worked at the Pentagon, my best time with slugs was about 90 minutes. The VRE from Fredericksburg to ALexandria costs only $229/mo, (plus about $50/month for the Fredericksburg Transit feeder) and though total commute time would be slightly over 2 hours, I come out cheaper by far.

There are also carpools, van pools, and commercial buses that take no longer than hauling slugs and cost less than driving.

Tipping or cost sharing is not a big deal. It's certainly legal for my neighbor to offer me $10 to pick up his new bigscreen with my truck.

Slugs, what are you going to do when there are no drivers willing to give the free ride? When they've all started carpooling, or taking the train or bus, you will have to pony up what you see as the big bucks to do the same.

Do the right thing, and loosen the purse strings.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 11:57pm
Sandy said the following:

"Yes I know, I could slug right??? well I tried slugging last week 15minutes waiting at bobs in the morning.
35 minutes waiting at 19th and G when going home.
total of 50 minutes waiting in line."

While drivers undoubtedly pay the heavier price of gas, and we all respect them for doing so, Slugs pay another price in terms of time. I don't know what the average Slug makes a year, but lets say it is 40,000 which I am sure is low. That equates to approximately 3333.00 per month. Work months, on average, consist of 21 days, or 168 hours per month. If you divide 3333.00 into 168 work hours, you will find that the average slug hour is worth $19.88 per hour. So 20.00 to round it to the nearest dollar. So according to your experience, the dollar value of the slug waiting in line, essentially his or her contribution to the system, is about 18.00 figuring in a 50 minute wait time for a ride back and forth to work. Even at four dollars a gallon, for a Springfield driver, with a reasonable MPG, its probably, at most, about 2.5 gallons of gas. Hmmm, looks like the drivers benefit financially from picking up slugs is still 8.00 better than the slug when wait time is factored into the equation. And drivers have flexibility, if your kids are sick at school, or some other emergency develops, you can get in a car and go home. Slugs bear that risk.

On a separate note, it is good to see 122582 back posting again. As you know, I never have agreed with the "tip your driver today" posts but I always respected your ability to argue the point reasonably. I was struck by the story about how you came to that position, I had never heard you say that before. A Friday ride down to Fredericksburg is a premium for slugs, and it was nice of the person to do it the way she did, by not offering you the money but leaving it there for you to find. I think if you had just told that story from the get go, and mentioned how much the gesture meant to you, it would have avoided some of the animosity that the "tip jar" comments brought upon you a long time ago.

I also appreciate that you are not advocating people be charged for the ride, but that slugs should give voluntarily. For folks in Fredericksburg and other points down south, the economics are much different, and the drivers do end up probably paying as much in gas, not to mention wear and tear on the vehicle, that they do benefit the slugs more than visa versa, although the slug line waiting times are much longer down your way. In any event, although we don't see eye to eye on this point, I did and do appreciate your perspective and just wanted to take the time to say so.

Posted By: AWinner
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 11:57am
Are you people serious about tipping? I have NEVER seen this happen. As a rider, I'd be willing to tip. But how? And would this offend others? Does anyone object to tipping? If I become a big tipper maybe drivers will refuse others and pick me. While this is great for me, I am sure it would really offend those in front of me in the line.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 4:52pm
Good quote, bet you were already slugging when Lincoln was president. Maybe you should go back and read it while looking in a mirror, and really try to understand it. Maybe your sons could help you.

I am not saying the ride should go to the highest bidder or the best tipper, I only suggested everyone pay $1.00 to help defer gas prices. Whether you choose to wait for a slug, or the slug has been waiting for you does not have anything to do with the $1.00. The $1.00 is to help defer the rising price of gas. I don’t know why that causes you to be so hostile or aggressive. Really, you should talk to your doctor about increasing your meds. Or maybe have your blood sugar checked.

And as for the person who said “Slugs pay another price in terms of time…the average slug hour is worth $19.88 per hour…50 minute wait time for a ride”. If you are waiting the equivalent of $19.88, you should consider the bus that will cost under $5 and will get you to Burke in less than 50 minutes. But I do thank you for making my point that the lines are getting longer since you have to wait almost an hour. Wouldn’t you rather pay $1, and have ample cars waiting as you arrive at the slug line? And just think, you could probably shave $18.88 off of your commute expense. But if you really want to start adding expenses here, then why not include the wear on your shoes to walk to the slug line, or the lunch you had to eat to get the energy to walk to the slug line. But you go on, “with a reasonable MPG, its probably, at most, about 2.5 gallons” at $4 a gallon that is $10.00 of gas. That is a real expense, round trip that is costing me $20.00, and if I have to wait for slugs, do I get to count the $19.88 an hour too? What about my tires or engine oil or just general wear or the cleaning products I must use so I don’t get flamed for having a dirty car that is simply below your standards.

Let me see if I can idiot proof this statement as best possible - $1 a ride, rain or shine, long line or short, 4:00 or well past 6:00.

Simply one dollar a ride!

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 4:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by whatever_k

Hmm, I am always the driver and I too have mixed feelings about the slugs paying for rides. Sometimes I do think to myself being a slug has MAJOR benefits and what do I get ungrateful, rude, smelly and sometimes demanding riders. Someone either wants you to turn the air on or roll the window up, or turn the radio up or down. My thought is your getting a free ride sit back and close your eyes. I've noticed over the past few months driving are asking for a lot more benefits. I've thought about being a slug but have not opted for it yet. I look at how some drive and don't think my tinker could handle it.

I've very interested to see if money will exchange hands. Sometimes the riders are not worth the smell I have to endure for 20 minutes or so. Nor is the constant talking on cell phones.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. You would think slugs would have more compassion with gas prices going up. Hey, they're slugs. At $4 a gallon feel free to just pull over and say "Get your worthless, smelly, cell phone talking ass out of my car - you cheap piece of crap."

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 5:04pm
Hi AWinner. If you look back thru the posts, on April 29th I posted that exact scenario. And that's why I disagree with the proposal to offer $2 to catch a ride.

When the toll lanes open on HOV and VA legislature ends the HOV3 exemption riding for free, then I will join a carpool to save money. But until then I (and I don't think I'm alone here) will not chip in gas money.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 9:10am
The postings in this thread range from those who want to require slugs to pay for a ride (on one end) to those (like me) who think slugging should abide by its long-standing guideline of "no money exchanges hands".

[:)] So, how about a compromise ...
Drivers wanting to use the slug system and also get some financial help with their gas purchases can post a sign in their car that says something like,
"Slugs, I Will Happily Accept Your $1.00 Contribution To Help Me Pay For Gasoline". And those drivers who do not want the financial help simply won't post a sign.

That way it would be voluntary, and would be based on the slugs' ability and willingness to pay. It would be somewhat analagous to "passing the collection plate" in church.

It's not a perfect solution for either extreme on this issue, so it just might work. [;)]

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 10:29am
Let's keep this simple. If you're a slug and want to give the driver money - do it.

Quite frankly, drivers are moving to the bus. Gas plus parking - $22+ a day. Bus round trip - $8 a day.

Posted By: toomuchcoffeelady
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 10:52am
I don’t know why that causes you to be so hostile or aggressive. Really, you should talk to your doctor about increasing your meds.Or maybe have your blood sugar checked.

Excuse me? Are you hinting that diabetic people are assholes or something? Because if you are, that's really insulting and ignorant. Be grateful for your own good health and don't go making light of others' medical issues.

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 2:28pm
toomuchcoffeelady,

To whom are you addressing your comments above? I surely hope that all posters above are not a collective "you", and that you intended to direct your hostile comments toward a particular individual. [?][?][?]

In the future, if you are directing comments to an individual, please indicate that. Otherwise, you might offend and possibly enrage other posters who have absoulutely no ax to grind with you.

Thank you, and happy sluggin'! [:)]

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 2:37pm
I think toomuchcoffeelady was referring to me. I did not mean to insult everyone with diabetes. Being diabetic myself, I know that one symptom can be irritability and hostility because of high sugar levels. I was simply offering that they should have that checked with their doctor and get the proper treatment.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 3:51pm
quote:
Originally posted by Scraper

I think toomuchcoffeelady was referring to me. I did not mean to insult everyone with diabetes. Being diabetic myself, I know that one symptom can be irritability and hostility because of high sugar levels. I was simply offering that they should have that checked with their doctor and get the proper treatment.

Yeah, I did mean you Scraper - hence the C&P of your post in mine. ;) I was recently diagnosed with diabetes myself, and not realizing you are diabetic also, I misinterpreted your comment as insulting people with the condition. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

ETA - sorry if I offended anyone.

Posted By: kirtiraj
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 11:25am
This is a very interesting read. Just wanted to contribute my 2 cents here.
Slugging is/was a really great concept and has worked. So did the mortgage industry till the house prices started falling down. (They had models predicting success of sub-prime mortgages based on previous years, this system failed when house prices started falling) I mention this because a lot of people have made arguments saying that "it has worked for years now", "dont try to fix something that is not broken" etc..
With the gas prices so high, car pooling (and I am also inclined to do so) is becoming a better option. A lot of offices are now encouraging car pooling by creating intranet sites and forums. I would definitely like it if someone would contribute towards my gas/toll bills. Whatever amount it is.

Maybe I am at the wrong forum and should go to car pool sites. [8D]

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by kirtiraj

This is a very interesting read. Just wanted to contribute my 2 cents here.
Slugging is/was a really great concept and has worked. So did the mortgage industry till the house prices started falling down. (They had models predicting success of sub-prime mortgages based on previous years, this system failed when house prices started falling) I mention this because a lot of people have made arguments saying that "it has worked for years now", "dont try to fix something that is not broken" etc..
With the gas prices so high, car pooling (and I am also inclined to do so) is becoming a better option. A lot of offices are now encouraging car pooling by creating intranet sites and forums. I would definitely like it if someone would contribute towards my gas/toll bills. Whatever amount it is.

Maybe I am at the wrong forum and should go to car pool sites. [8D]

Yes, you are posting in the wrong forum. You should be posting in a forum intended for the posting of logical fallacies. [:0]

Your particular logical fallacy is known as a false analogy. In a false analogy one introduces an unrelated topic and claims that it is analogous with the issue under consideration. Conclusions about the unrelated issue are then falsely attributed to the main issue. To paraphrase: It has been said that slugging isn't broke so don't fix it. They said the same thing about the mortgage industry and we all know it collapsed. The false conclusion is that slugging will also necessarily collapse.

I was one of the posters whose opinion was that it shouldn't be fixed because it isn't broken. This, of course, is a couple of logical fallacies itself, being an unsupported claim that there is no problem coupled with an appeal to antiquity "It's always been this way, therefore it should not change."

On second thought, you are posting in the correct forum. [:o)]

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 2:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Hi AWinner. If you look back thru the posts, on April 29th I posted that exact scenario. And that's why I disagree with the proposal to offer $2 to catch a ride.

When the toll lanes open on HOV and VA legislature ends the HOV3 exemption riding for free, then I will join a carpool to save money. But until then I (and I don't think I'm alone here) will not chip in gas money.

Of course Jodi, when the HOT lanes start charging SOVs $1.00 or more a mile, slugs will offer an instant savings to drivers in addition to the time saved by allowing access to the HOV lanes for a speedy commute that they offer now.

I think it would be funny to see a car pullup to the Bob's line with a sign offeing rides for $X.00 each way. Unless its raining, snowing, and the lines are running slow, that car will not get many takers. I know I won't pay to ride, nor will I charge when I drive.

Interesting how first the VA DOT legislators have figured out a way to profit from our forced commuting solutions like HOV lanes / carpooling, now slug drivers are looking for similar ways to pad their hip pockets. Variations on the same theme: tax the workers!

Has anyone thought of the legal issues when $$ changes hands? Driver charges slug > slug has an expectation of performance > driver assumes liability for performing service = legal contract.

What happens if there is an accident? What is your liebility? How would your insurance company feel about you performing a "For Hire" transportation service on a residential license and insurance policy?

Keep Slugging Free!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond

quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Of course Jodi, when the HOT lanes start charging SOVs $1.00 or more a mile, slugs will offer an instant savings to drivers in addition to the time saved by allowing access to the HOV lanes for a speedy commute that they offer now.

I think it would be funny to see a car pullup to the Bob's line with a sign offeing rides for $X.00 each way. Unless its raining, snowing, and the lines are running slow, that car will not get many takers. I know I won't pay to ride, nor will I charge when I drive.

Interesting how first the VA DOT legislators have figured out a way to profit from our forced commuting solutions like HOV lanes / carpooling, now slug drivers are looking for similar ways to pad their hip pockets. Variations on the same theme: tax the workers!

Has anyone thought of the legal issues when $$ changes hands? Driver charges slug > slug has an expectation of performance > driver assumes liability for performing service = legal contract.

What happens if there is an accident? What is your liebility? How would your insurance company feel about you performing a "For Hire" transportation service on a residential license and insurance policy?

Keep Slugging Free!

raymond - not surprising but your argument is idiotic. What happens if there is an accident without $ changing hands? How do you perceive it being any different than if $ does change hands? A contract is a contract regardless of the price.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:50pm
Raymond- Are you saying that if there is an accident, since a slug pays nothing I have no liability? Really? Actually, Raymond that is another cost that we as drivers are responsible for, it is called insurance. And as for operating a “for hire” business, do you really think by collecting a dollar from you would allow me to quit my day job?

And now my favorite of your idiotic reply – “now slug drivers are looking for similar ways to pad their hip pockets. Variations on the same theme: tax the workers!”

Yes, Raymond it is a conspiracy for all of us slug drivers. You see we have secret meetings to force gas prices to unthinkable amounts so that we could collect $1.00 for a ride from a slug and pad our hip pockets allowing us to squander those ill gotten gains to buy a quart of gas. I feel so ashamed to be found out.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:19pm
Scraper, shut up before you give away the secret code word too!

Posted By: blacksky
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:58pm
Ok,

I actually saw a car at the Pentagon, looked like it pulled up to the rt 17 line with a piggy bank on the dashboard with a "feed me" sign on it. If you got in this car, what did the signs pasted to the seats in the back say? Just curious, as I've never seen such overt signaling before in the lines. [:0]

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 12:15pm
At the next secret drivers meeting - we will be finishing the discussion on how to place trash in your car to inspire slug’s creative writing abilities and we will begin the new topic of how slugs just love it when we leave our windows down on days when the temps are greater than 100. We might even have a guest speaker on how to choose the proper radio stations as to not offend the delicate ears of our beloved slugs. Of course, dues are still $1.00 so that we may continue to “pad our hip pockets”.

Posted By: pwbnd
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 2:58pm
If it's not worth it to pick up slugs, stop picking them up.

Posted By: springfieldslugger
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 3:50pm
Scraper... I don't like your sarcasm at all. I agree with pwbnd, stop picking up slugs! And I think this message board should not be used for such unproductive comments... it's meant to be informational!

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 4:24pm
quote:

At the next secret drivers meeting - we will be finishing the discussion on how to place trash in your car to inspire slug’s creative writing abilities and we will begin the new topic of how slugs just love it when we leave our windows down on days when the temps are greater than 100. We might even have a guest speaker on how to choose the proper radio stations as to not offend the delicate ears of our beloved slugs. Of course, dues are still $1.00 so that we may continue to “pad our hip pockets”.

Actually, Springfield, this post is hilarious.

But Scraper, you forgot to add the topic of "what scent of air freshener to keep in the glove compartment for when our beloved slugs get gas."

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 11:28pm
TMCL,

Thanks for the support and for supplying us with a great topic question.

Personally, I find either vanilla or strawberry work well. I find floral scents tend to enhance the smell as they do in a garden that has been freshly covered in manure. I should say that I do not wish to offend anyone that enjoys floral scents or for that matter the smell of manure, simply and in my own opinion, I prefer the stench covering ability of either vanilla or strawberry. I suppose mint is nice too as long as it is not too toothpasty.

However, if it is one of those silent but deadly types of methane emissions, I find a quick finger on the window button (even in the rain) works quickest. Please note that you make sure to notify everyone in the car that you will be lowering the window in the event of such an incident BEFORE you pick them up for their free ride.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:52am
Ok, back to the original question.

As a long time slug and driver, my thoughts on this are evolving. Given the long lines of late, I'm starting to question how much longer this system will remain viable (in its current form).

To do my part, I drive 2x a week; I don't want money for gas or for parking. As a rider, I don't want to pay, either as a fee or as a tip. If I wanted to do either of those, I'd join a carpool.

What needs to happen is that the balance between drivers and riders needs to be restored. How? Those people who ride 100% of the time need to start driving. How often they drive depends on their particular location and the volume of riders.

For those who are 100% drivers and are feeling the crunch, perhaps it's time to get regular riders and ask them to help with the costs. Call it a "quasi-carpool".

Note that these suggestions may not work at all locations. While there are commonalities, the different locations are just that - different, with their own set of issues.

Thoughts?

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 10:25am
I am sorry for getting off the topic, but I think this entire thread has become absurd. It has gone from a very good idea (kudos to sandy)to help with the ever increasing gas crises to comments about tax evasion, to the need for getting taxi licensing, to the need for different rules for weather conditions, to acceptable payment methods, to liability issues, to jeeze - I could go on for days.

I really don't know why this has to be so complicated. We are in economic uncertain times, some experts are predicting gas prices as much as $6 a gallon before this is all over, some predict even higher. As Americans we used to unite during crises, but I guess like the economy, that too is decaying.

Anyway, I believe the original point of this thread was something like:

If you are a slug, please give the driver $1 when you get into their car. If the driver does not want to accept your $1, saying "No thank you, I would much rather drive you for free", then put the dollar back in your pocket.

Posted By: whatever_k
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 1:07pm
I actually like your idea and I'm sorry that when someone post this subject it always get's nasty remarks. I believe not wanting to pay anything comes from those who have been doing it for years and want something for nothing. The other comment I keep seeing if it's not broke why fix it? It may not be broke but everything needs tweaking every now and again. I only sometimes wish they would offer so that the complaining would seem worth it. People will eventually stop picking up slugs, more than likely it will be becuase of their selfishness and disrespect.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 1:33pm
People will not stop picking up slugs. They will still want to get to work in a reasonable amount of time and they will pick up slugs to do it.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 1:35pm
quote:

I am sorry for getting off the topic, but I think this entire thread has become absurd. It has gone from a very good idea (kudos to sandy)to help with the ever increasing gas crises to comments about tax evasion, to the need for getting taxi licensing, to the need for different rules for weather conditions, to acceptable payment methods, to liability issues, to jeeze - I could go on for days.

I really don't know why this has to be so complicated. We are in economic uncertain times, some experts are predicting gas prices as much as $6 a gallon before this is all over, some predict even higher. As Americans we used to unite during crises, but I guess like the economy, that too is decaying.

Anyway, I believe the original point of this thread was something like:

If you are a slug, please give the driver $1 when you get into their car. If the driver does not want to accept your $1, saying "No thank you, I would much rather drive you for free", then put the dollar back in your pocket.

Scraper, Thanks for your thoughtful and inspiring comments, now go home!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 1:51pm
Mycroft - it's not that people will stop picking up slugs, it's that fewer drivers will pick up slugs. Why? Because things change.

Out of the drivers who picked up when I first started slugging in 2000, you know how many remain? None. (note that's Rolling Valley to 18th street and back, sometimes Bob's, sometimes 14th street)

People retire, people move, people get different jobs, drivers become riders. In order to replenish the number of drivers, slugs need to drive on occasion.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 4:14pm
Yes, people retire, but as people move to this area for jobs and experience the shock of how long it takes to commute to DC and back, they quickly discover the benefits of the slug system, whether they drive or ride. I've mentioned this topic several times while waiting in line and riders were not keen on the idea.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 5:00pm
My experience matches Jody's description. When I first moved here - day one in the office - someone asked me where I lived and then helped me w/ Slugging. Got a ride home that evening! What a country! Rode for 3 yrs. Now drive. The lines grow and shrink, drivers are more or less scarce and so on. Only once in 3 yrs did not get a ride. Stood in line w/ DC2RV and other RV regulars often - waiting for the more scarce RV driver.

Word of mouth, recruiting, and helping - all seem to be in the spirit of slugging. I continue to recruit, talk, show. May not be a fast as riders choosing to drive but one piece of the puzzle. It is all quite satisfying in a Milton Friedman - freemarket/freewill manner. I have faith in the general premise - I want to drive fast, you (X2) want a ride - let's go! I'll keep the windows up, air on. You try to keep the cell phone calls brief and don't fart. I'll offer to chat - usually. You engage if you want. Give me short answers and I'll catch on and leave you alone. It is all so very satisfying when everyone is mildly empathetic.

Sorry if it is all too sappy - but I still find it quite a hoot. As long as there is an HOV and 2 people going my way - hop in!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 5:34pm
OK, back to farting in cars. As a driver, if you have gas, are you supposed to warn the slugs before they get in your car? Is a verbal warning OK or should you put it on your sign? Does slug etiquette dictate that you supply gas masks? If you work as a dietician and you're a slug in a car in which another passenger (or the driver) farts too much, is it OK to break the "no talking" rule and give them suggestions on how to modify their diet to decrease their methane production?

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 5:45pm
I'm trying to imagine the response to a dietary suggestion by our friends who are thoroughly exercised by questions and suggestions related to personal comfort (too hot, cold, fast, far). I'm guessing a fairly exercised retort. If someone gets all worked up about "hey, I'm a bit cold - would you mind turning up the heat" what might the response be to "more cheese, less fibre". I'd pay the rider's $1 contribution in question elsewhere just to be there for that!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 6:12pm
Cheese keeps you from farting?!

My husband rips farts that make paint peel after eating dairy...

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:55pm
Jody - thanks for trying to promote the idea. I hope you drive once every two weeks, once a week, or whatever you can reasonably afford. Doing so takes 2-3 people out of line and reduces waiting times (which i'm sure you can appreciate).

Dudte - appreciate the rides. (and could have used one today - almost a one hour wait. but hey - the RV slugs behind me who hopped into Bob's cars between 5:15 and 5:30 were standing at the bus stop at Springfield Plaza as we drove by at 5:45. hope you were able to rescue some of the potential "strandees").

Problem is, the growth in the number of riders seems to be outgrowing the number of new drivers. Drivers are dropping out faster than new ones come in.

People who have been doing this a long time, and the newbies who seem to like this system, need to think about the long term. This, hands down, is the best way to commute. Granted you have your issues , i.e, annoying slugs, annoying drivers, cheese induced gas passing (my homage to the fromage lady who's over caffeinated), etc... but if it's so bad, why do we keep doing it?

And if we agree that it's worth doing, then why wouldn't more people be more proactive as opposed to simply saying, "aw, it'll survive this too."

I choose to be proactive about this because the system works for me. I hope more people choose to do the same - and by that, I mean riders. They need to drive on occasion.

Parking downtown is in the $17 range. What's the cost of daily metro, bus, VRE, etc... times 5 or 10? If you can't fork out one day per whatever your pay period is, then as "He Who Must Not Be Named" (for i suspect using his username triggers responses from him/she/it) might just be right in saying slugs are selfish.

Lastly, we've all got a really good thing going here, let's not let it die a slow death.

btw - i'm driving tomorrow.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 11:34pm
Not ALL slugs are selfish - just the ones who have been doing it for more than 5 years and NEVER driven and complain about those who try to save the environment by using hybrids (remember, you need to be HOV-5 100% of the time you are in an auto to get the same emission benefit as a SOV hybrid).

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:52am
Hi DC2RV. I drive one day a week. On the other 4 days when I'm a rider (Bob's), when I see the RV line is long for the commute home, I offer the RV rider in front of me (or two if the Bob's driver will take 3) a ride to their car. Its not that far out of my way to drive them to the RV lot before going back down OKM to get to my home. Considering how long they stand out there waiting for rides, its the least I can do to get them home faster.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:13am
Jody - thanks! I used to do the same when I'd drive to Bob's.

Posted By: jbeiii
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 7:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

Not ALL slugs are selfish - just the ones who have been doing it for more than 5 years and NEVER driven and complain about those who try to save the environment by using hybrids (remember, you need to be HOV-5 100% of the time you are in an auto to get the same emission benefit as a SOV hybrid).

As I understand it, a Hybrid Civic at speed on the HOV has the same emission as a regular Civic. The benefit of a Hybrid is when the engine runs on electric as it does stopped at a traffic light. So in reality the environment would be better with Hybrids in the main lines in stop and go traffic where the engine runs on electric during the stop portion of said traffic.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 3:12am
quote:
Originally posted by jbeiii

quote:

As I understand it, a Hybrid Civic at speed on the HOV has the same emission as a regular Civic. The benefit of a Hybrid is when the engine runs on electric as it does stopped at a traffic light. So in reality the environment would be better with Hybrids in the main lines in stop and go traffic where the engine runs on electric during the stop portion of said traffic.

Not the same for Toyota products = probably similar with Honda products. You probably understand incorrectly. Please educate yourself on Synergy engine principles as well as the physics of constant and near constant velocity.

Posted By: scott001
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 7:25am
I am new to the area and to slugging as of Feb. 08. This is unique to anywhere in the country, but you all know that. We sluggers have it great. In my household we don't even own a second car any longer and we have determined that we save about $450/month in commuting costs.

I think that chipping in a dollar or two each way would be a great thing to do. Not only would it help offset the amazingly high gas prices for drivers, it would also encourage more drivers to join in. More drivers means that we sluggers have shorter waits (typically I am waiting 30 min. at 19&F in the evenings). Everybody wins!

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 8:39am
A Survey ... For those slugs who are passing a buck or two to their drivers, and those drivers who are accepting gas-money contributions from their slugs:
How's it working out?

Just curious about how smoothly it's going, and if there have been any issues or lessons-learned that should be discussed on this forum?
[:)]

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 9:17am
Sludge - aren't you in a carpool? Have you picked up slugs lately and if so, have they offered or have you asked for a buck?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 11:05am
I have discussed the idea at the 19th & F St. line of offering $1 each way for a ride and the response has been no. I've not walked the line - just discussed it with people standing around me for the past week. Riders didn't like the idea of offering a dollar or drivers asking for a dollar. I heard the same two refrains - Their understanding of the slug line is no money exchanges hands and if drivers want riders to share in the commuting costs, join a carpool.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 7:57pm

Not the same for Toyota products = probably similar with Honda products. You probably understand incorrectly. Please educate yourself on Synergy engine principles as well as the physics of constant and near constant velocity.

I probably understand incorrectly? I probably don't. Please educate yourself on the principles of honesty as well as the principles of constant honesty and near constant honesty.....

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:26am
jbeiii - so, you are saying that you are ignorant and choose to remain that way. OK, just be honest about it.

At the same speed, a hybrid has lower average emissions than a conventional vehicle. To say otherwise is a lie. It's either because of ignorance or maliciousness -- once you have the chance to educate yourself and choose to perpetuate the lie, that makes it malicious.

And that's the honest truth.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 7:23am
DC2RV,
Yes, I've been in a regular 4-person carpool for several years now, and we rotate the driving. We occasionally pick up slugs only when there are one or two of us. The last time that happened was in late April/early May -- and we didn't ask for (and the the slugs did not offer) any money for the ride.

I was curious about what actually has been happening at the slug lines more recently. Several of the postings above suggest there are some slugs contributing, and/or drivers accepting, money for rides which would be a big change in the slugging system. From Jody's posting above it appears that the slugs he/she talked to do not support the idea.

Posted By: 0861 Jarhead
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 10:27am
Hello Sandy;
I "kind of" agree with you. However, just like many other well organized programs; they are spoiled by those who take advantage of a good thing... The me, me, me mindset!!! Understanding the growing costs of commuting into the city, if everyone took concience of the situation and contributed by driving a couple of days/week, we will make it through this crisis just fine, without having to impose any type of financial responsibilities to riders or drivers...

Have a great week,
Semper Fi

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 10:04pm
quote:

jbeiii - so, you are saying that you are ignorant and choose to remain that way. OK, just be honest about it.

At the same speed, a hybrid has lower average emissions than a conventional vehicle. To say otherwise is a lie. It's either because of ignorance or maliciousness -- once you have the chance to educate yourself and choose to perpetuate the lie, that makes it malicious.

And that's the honest truth.

What you are saying is a Toyota Highlander Hybrid at 65 MPH is significantly more efficient gas mileage and otherwise than a normal Highlander at 65 MPH. You should be drug tested. Every fool but you knows that what makes a Hybrid more efficient and environmentally friendly is the battery that runs the engine when idling. Engines don't idle at 65 MPH....so put up or shut up. Post a link to something that proves your point or quit posting altogether and stop insulting my intelligence. If you are an elected official please say so and I will let this go since you will never be convinced by the truth and will hold on to your story until it is politically valuable to reverse yourself.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 12:42am
jbeiii - what "everybody knows" is what is wrong with your argument. The battery runs at times OTHER than when the engine is idling, and in fact, also runs at 65 mph! The "synergy" drive in Toyota, which is what I have AND what I looked up on the Toyota website, shares the drive load even at high mph.

Please, please, please, do the world a favor and don't post about things where you make assumptions, and, when told that the assumption is false, instead of getting facts, just keep saying it over and over (like that makes it real....).

Try http://www.hybridsynergydrive.com

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 8:33am
Please move the hybrid posts to the correct bulletin topic.

They contain good pro/con hybrid discussion and info -- but they are really off-topic when this topic is supposed to be about slugs "Paying for rides".

Thank you. [:)]

Posted By: mpatoka
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 11:27am
As someone who slugs 80-90% of the time, I have yet to hear anyone in line say anything about giving the driver gas money. On the days I have/opt to drive, I'm making that choice on my own and don't expect anyone to give me cash so I can drive HOV.

The day a driver pulls up and "requests" $$ from each slug, you can guarantee he'll be sitting there a long time while all the other "free" cars behind keep getting riders.

Yes, the current gas prices are causing financial problems for SOME people (not all). I remember when gas spiked to $2/gallon and slug lines doubled overnight and I'm sure this same argument took place. Things normalized, we got used to paying that price and I'm sure that will happen again. It is costing more to drive in but if you're stuck in the main lanes, the amount of $ you're losing just sitting there has increased also.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net