Print Page | Close Window

Summertime A/C

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3639
Printed Date: 12 May 2024 at 7:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Summertime A/C
Posted By: Flyby
Subject: Summertime A/C
Date Posted: 09 May 2008 at 8:42pm
Thinkin ahead to the warmer days of June, July and August. I have to say when I'm driving alone I try to conserve fuel by opening the windows (half-way?) and taking in the fresh air rather than running the a/c. Sorry riders, as the weather gets warmer, don't be suprised if you have to put up with the warm wind blowing through your hair cruising down 395/95. At $3.75+/gal it's the least we can do. Guys, take off those jackets, ladies, tie yer hairs back...

Flyby

Replies:
Posted By: spectrenav
Date Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:50pm
I recommend mentioning that to your riders before they hop in with you.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:44pm
That is a foolish thing to do. Modern cars do not lose fuel economy when running air conditioning, at least not an appreciable amount.

On the other hand, you can lose 10-20% of your MPG by driving with your windows partially open due to the greatly increased aerodynamic drag.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:58am
I'm not a Mythbuster (and I have never played one on TV) but I believe that the worst thing you can do for mileage is to roll down the windows or, in a pickup truck, put down your tailgate. Note that I am not recommending turning off the A/C and keeping the windows closed. [:o)]

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:18am
Edmunds.com has an article discussing 10 ways to improve fuel economy.

Here's item #9 from the article about using our air conditioning versus rolling down the windows: "Running your air conditioner does cause your vehicle to consume more fuel, but driving with your windows rolled down can be even worse due to the increase of drag on the vehicle. If you are driving slowly, such as around town or in city traffic, then you are better off leaving your windows open, if at all possible. For highway driving, roll up the windows and turn the air conditioning on." [:)]

All 10 items are at http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/103164/article.html .

Posted By: blacksky
Date Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:33pm
Ask any drag racer...the best way to slow down your car, thereby ruining your timed run is to have an open window. I did that once, and learned my lesson the hard way...really bad run. It is like driving with an open parachute. Close the window, turn on the A/C and see how much better your gas mileage is compared to the open window on your drive to work or home...and your slugs will be gleeful instead of sweaty and wind-blown. If you're drag racing ON AN APPROVED TRACK, roll up the windows, do not turn on the A/C (if you even have it), and go for it!

Posted By: springfieldslugger
Date Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:15pm
They really beat you up on those responses Flyby, didn't they? But I have to agree... for lots of reasons... and most important being about the facts... that you do not conserve more fuel by rolling down the windows vs. turning the A/C on. Before you jump to conclusions, I'd suggest check the facts first then lay out your arguments.

If gas prices are hurting you like everyone else, you may want to try slugging...

Posted By: vdix
Date Posted: 15 May 2008 at 2:33pm
I have a story from 2 years ago. In the height of the summer and one of the few 100+ degree days a driver comes by at the Pentagon to pick up riders going to Tacketts. I noticed his windows were down but figured he was airing out his car since the Pentagon is nothing but surface parking. Well he not only did not turn on the AC, but when we got to the mixing bowl area he rolled the windows up so that the windows were a little more than cracked, and still did not turn on the AC. Needless to say I never rode with him again.

Posted By: Moody Girl
Date Posted: 15 May 2008 at 4:09pm
Hello Everyone,

To the drivers of the slugging community, I would like to request that you make your slugs aware that you will not be running your A/C. There are some that become overheated easily and on some occasions become physically ill. By making them aware of this before entering your car, you can save them the embarassment and your carpet and upholstery from an unnecessary scrubbin [;)]

On several occasions last summer, a driver would pull up to the line with their windows up and their fan running, pick up their slugs and once they pulled onto the interstate, notify everyone that they would not be using their A/C. This is NOT COOL! If you decide to play this card.....you get what you deserve! [xx(]

To my fellow slugs, I would like to request that you not condemn a driver and refrain from making rude comments to them if they choose not to turn on their A/C. After all, it is their car and their choice. I am sure there are several riders that are just fine with the windows down and I am sure that they will be happy to take that ride. [8D]

Please keep in mind that gas prices are rising, the economy is going to hell in a hand basket, Mother Nature is kicking us in the ass on a regular basis and we are all a little on edge. So, please be a little nicer to each other. [:)]

Just a reminder....it all boils down to common courtesy.

Posted By: dudte
Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:24am
I'm perplexed by the apparent inability of some to demonstrate common courtesies. I'm not from the south but southern (and common) hospitality suggests a mutual concern for others. If I am the host (driver) it is incumbent on me to ensure my guests (riders) are comfortable. Just as I would if they visited my home. If I am a guest (rider) it is my obligation to induce as little imposition on my host (driver) as possible. This hospitable behavior on both parts provides significant overlap of mutual concern and comfort.

I know my little car heats up quickly in the winter. I check w/ my riders to ensure they are comfortable. If I were alone I would ride with the windows down, the iPod blasting (my music), and at a high rate of speed. However, when I have guests, I assume not everyone appreciates the stiff breeze, my eclectic music tastes (3 Dog Night, Iron Maiden, Charlie Daniels, and Rhiana), and fast driving is almost universally unsettling. So, I slow down, roll up the windows, put on the A/C, and turn the radio to classical or jazz. Most riders express thanks for the ride and often for the music. And we all get there at least as happy as when we left the slug line. Not less. I would be a failure as a host, even in my own car where I am god, if my guests were unhappy, unsettled, uncomfortable, or displeased.

And I know, when I moved here, I saw the Mason/Dixon line quite a ways north of here. Isn't that where we checked our rude? By definition?

Posted By: whatever_k
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 8:02am
This is another tick mark for me of just how ungrateful slugs are becoming. I drive all the time i have never been a slug. Sometimes I just want to ride with the windows down no matter the temperature outside. I've been cooped up in the office the entire day and I just want some fresh air. So as a slug you can't be a bit uncomfortable for 20-25 minutes? That just seems so ridiculas to me. I listen to you snore, I let you make the phone call to say honey I'm almost home, I listen to you shuffle paper, I smell the cigerette you just smoked etc, etc. AND I have to turn the air on so YOU can be comfortable. I'm moving in a few weeks back to MD thank god. I can sit in traffic alone and don't have to look, smell, or listen to you cry babies.

Posted By: sLugLiFe
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 8:17am
So then why do you bother picking up? Just sit in traffic now.[:(]

Posted By: Oxi
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 8:35am
To "Whatever K" - to me, your posting is perfectly matching your screen name - "Whatever K." The Whatever attitute to life is what makes sluglife ubcomfortable.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 4:28pm
To Whatever k, personally it's your car! So you can roll the windows down, flip the top (if applicable), and pretty much whatever else you want to (as long as not to endanged anyone) because (say it with me...) IT'S YOUR CAR! [:0]

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 9:39am
why is it so hard just to have some common courtesy? Just because its your car you have to go out of your way to make people feel uncomfortable? i think drivers are just on a power trip.

Posted By: jbeiii
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 9:41am
quote:
Originally posted by dudte

I'm not from the south but southern (and common) hospitality suggests a mutual concern for others.
And I know, when I moved here, I saw the Mason/Dixon line quite a ways north of here. Isn't that where we checked our rude? By definition?

If you want nice honest people with a mutual concern for others, you will find that in the Midwest. Southerners are hospitable but typically only to other southerners. If you are not from the south you will find people who appear nice but often are actually mocking you while doing so......Bless your heart.

Posted By: blacksky
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by jbeiii

quote:
Originally posted by dudte

I'm not from the south but southern (and common) hospitality suggests a mutual concern for others.

If you want nice honest people with a mutual concern for others, you will find that in the Midwest. Southerners are hospitable but typically only to other southerners. If you are not from the south you will find people who appear nice but often are actually mocking you while doing so......Bless your heart.

You can say anything you want about someone, as long as you preface it with, "God bless 'em..."

[:)]

Posted By: whatever_k
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:39am
Believe me guys I am not trying to make anyone uncomfortable. I pride myself on trying to ensure everyone is comfortable. I keep my car clean I turn to a radio station that is neutral either wtop or smooth jazz. I adjust the air based on what others in the car would like. I ask before adjusting the temperature up or down most of the time. It just seems to me the people who are benefiting the most want even more. The ride from Potomac Mills to the Pentagon is less than 30 minutes. You can't be a little uncomfortable for a few moments? You are riding no worries of traffic, gas, or maintenance. If you want comfort then drive. That's why I drive becuase I don't want to be uncomfortable.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by whatever_k

Believe me guys I am not trying to make anyone uncomfortable. I pride myself on trying to ensure everyone is comfortable. I keep my car clean I turn to a radio station that is neutral either wtop or smooth jazz. I adjust the air based on what others in the car would like. I ask before adjusting the temperature up or down most of the time. It just seems to me the people who are benefiting the most want even more. The ride from Potomac Mills to the Pentagon is less than 30 minutes. You can't be a little uncomfortable for a few moments? You are riding no worries of traffic, gas, or maintenance. If you want comfort then drive. That's why I drive becuase I don't want to be uncomfortable.

Whatever_k,

As a slug, I feel most of us appreciate the effort made on behalf of drivers to get us to and from work safely each day and even more so with the rising cost of fuel (I certainly do). However, I do not think this gives you a right to belittle us or treat us like a piece of gum on the bottom of your shoe.

Each slug chooses to do this every day for very different reasons and for some, it may not be a choice as much as a necessity.

To specifically address your comments....

All that has been ASKED of you is that you please make the slugs aware that you will not be using your air and give them the choice of taking the ride or passing it on to the next slug.

Your commute may be 30 minutes but for those of us going to points further South, depending on traffic, it can take 1-2 hours and when you are sitting in the HOV lanes at the merge there is no wind blowing or fresh air to speak of.

I am very respectful of the folks that drive and get very annoyed when I see fellow slugs that do not follow the rules of slugging and just lack common courtesy.

What seems to be forgotten in a lot of these posts is the simple fact that this system requires both drivers AND slugs to work. Therefore, I do not think it is unreasonable for me to ask for a little respect in return.

To all of the drivers out there - Thank You, Thank You, Thank You [:)]

To my fellow slugs - Stay cool out there [8D] and always thank your drivers.

Posted By: toomuchcoffeelady
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 12:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by sLugLiFe

i think drivers are just on a power trip.

Oh you're right, Sluglife. As a driver, I totally get off on paying $4/gallon for gas, while opening up my car for total strangers who scream at me, insult my ethnic background, blame me for bad traffic, and get pissy when I won't change the drop off point at the last second. And, this has been all in two weeks of driving. Do I get tarred and feathered next?

Who doesn't relish that "power"? And, if all drivers suck so much, why do you keep getting in their cars? Because you're getting a free ride. Yeah, drivers benefit, but not as much as the slugs do.

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 1:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

quote:
Originally posted by sLugLiFe

i think drivers are just on a power trip.

Oh you're right, Sluglife. As a driver, I totally get off on paying $4/gallon for gas, while opening up my car for total strangers who scream at me, insult my ethnic background, blame me for bad traffic, and get pissy when I won't change the drop off point at the last second. And, this has been all in two weeks of driving. Do I get tarred and feathered next?

Who doesn't relish that "power"? And, if all drivers suck so much, why do you keep getting in their cars? Because you're getting a free ride. Yeah, drivers benefit, but not as much as the slugs do.

TMCL,

Where on earth are you picking slugs up from???? If this is truly the case, I can understand your hostility.

If there are slugs out there that have behaved in this way, you should be ashamed of yourself and may want to seek professional help.

I certainly hope that your commute gets better. Have you tried picking up from route 3?

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 2:49pm
to much crack lady-

It seems that you have no luck what so ever picking up "normal" people. everyday you have some snarling remark about a slug you dont pick up. i dont say anything, not even when a driver ask me "where do you want to get dropped off" and i get dropped off 10 blocks out the way. i dont even say anything about the heat. i dont care. but when you make all these comments like you are better then everyone, it kind of gets annoying. if you dont like it, pick up some "day laborers" and take them on the ride with you. im sure they wont complain. even if you do lock them in your car with no a/c. everyone has to pay 4dollars a gallon. even the people that drive to the slug lots. you took it upon yourself to use this system. no one asked you to pick them up. so why do you insist on proving a lost point???

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 2:51pm
And i never said drivers suck. you did.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 4:21pm
17 and Pentagon. But yes, maybe Route 3 is a better place for me. All I'm asking for is someone not be rude to me in my own vehicle when I'm giving you a ride.

Sluglife - you're the one that said drivers were "on a power trip". But if you don't like allll my posts (I've made like what, 10? And on what planet is twice the same as "every day"? Which, BTW, when not an adjective, is two words.) nobody's forcing you to read them.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 4:34pm
wow. Im impressed. so you got an A in english. good for you. so i said drivers are on a power trip and you mistook that for drivers suck?? how can i not read your post. theyre the funniest things on here. you brighten my day.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 5:31pm
I try to make everyone's day that much more surreal. But I will admit I'm jealous I didn't think of "SlugLife" first.[;)]

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:02am
Thank you. Sorry for getting off on the wrong "car" shall I say....

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 4:29pm
wrong tire maybe?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net