Print Page | Close Window

Boycott Potomac Mills Mall

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3702
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 11:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Boycott Potomac Mills Mall
Posted By: Rideless
Subject: Boycott Potomac Mills Mall
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:42pm
In recent weeks the Management of Potomac Mills Mall has left pamphlets on cars stating that on 16 June 08 they would enforce the "blue line" parking limits for slugs (the line dividing slug parking from customer parking), by towing the cars of sluggers. However, this morning, they "closed" the lot, turning away even those that were "dropped off" to get rides, leaving slugs stranded and not allowing drivers to even pick up. This is extremely petty. The mall is surrounded with adequate parking and most slugger's cars are out by 5pm & never there on weekends. I'm certain most of the customer traffic in the mall is after 6pm weekdays and during weekends. Since many sluggers are also customers, I invite all to join in a Boycott of the Potomac Mills Mall. I encourage all to write the mall manager and especially the Mgr of each shop/store you frequent to get their support. Please join in sending/dropping off your letters and help pass the word to others. Thanks - "Slug-On"

Replies:
Posted By: Late rider
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 1:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rideless

However, this morning, they "closed" the lot, turning away even those that were "dropped off" to get rides, leaving slugs stranded and not allowing drivers to even pick up.

Really???[:(!]
Unbelievable.
I have to see that tomorrow.

Posted By: ceejay2
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 8:50pm
allow me to copy and paste my reply in a like topic here started by Kathy R...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kathy R
[My proposal:
1) Boycott the mall. Encourage the boycott by put fliers on the parked commuter cars stating the poor treatment of the riders and drivers.
2) Move the lines at a certain time (ie 8am) to Potomac Circle (the road that surrounds the parking lot) so we can continue to be dropped off and we have a place to be picked up with out the harassment that we have been getting.
3) Signed petitions given to the PWC council, our representatives locally and nationally, to the Mall and environmental advocates.
4) Contact newspapers and tv to publish what is being done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have GOT to be kidding me. A private corporation has donated 950 parking slots for commuter use 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and you are complaining that they aren't contributing enough when they enforce the rules laid down for use of those parking spaces? Frankly, I'm surprised that all of those spaces didn't go away when the Simon Property Group took over the Mills. You can bet your bottom dollar that their legal department wanted them to do so, due to liability issues. But to their credit, Simon kept the lot open, as a show of good faith as a community parnter, and you show your gratitude for their generosity by trying to stage a BOYCOTT?

Yeah, you go ahead and do that little thing. Put fliers on cars (urging a boycott of the mall they are currently patronizing fer God's sake!), sign petitions, complain to your county supervisors about how mean they are being to you, and ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!! Let's see just how long it takes for those 950 spaces to go to ZERO spaces.

Now I finally understand what my daddy meant when he said my uncle could screw up a free lunch…..

(full disclosure - i have no vested interest in the Potomac Mills slug lines as we only drop off at Horner 5 nights a week, and i have no interest in the Mall except the money i spend there).

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 8:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rideless

In recent weeks the Management of Potomac Mills Mall has left pamphlets on cars stating that on 16 June 08 they would enforce the "blue line" parking limits for slugs (the line dividing slug parking from customer parking), by towing the cars of sluggers. However, this morning, they "closed" the lot, turning away even those that were "dropped off" to get rides, leaving slugs stranded and not allowing drivers to even pick up. This is extremely petty. The mall is surrounded with adequate parking and most slugger's cars are out by 5pm & never there on weekends. I'm certain most of the customer traffic in the mall is after 6pm weekdays and during weekends. Since many sluggers are also customers, I invite all to join in a Boycott of the Potomac Mills Mall. I encourage all to write the mall manager and especially the Mgr of each shop/store you frequent to get their support. Please join in sending/dropping off your letters and help pass the word to others. Thanks - "Slug-On"

i just do not get this. the mall has earmarked 950 slots for commuter cars. according to an article posted here on another thread, they are now seeing 1300 cars parked in their lots each day. 350 cars more than allowed. and you think it's wrong for them to enforce the blue line bounderies?

don't be angry at Potomac Mills for closing the slug lines when parking is full. blame those extra 350 people who can't follow the rules.

Posted By: Joe Bowman
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 8:57am
I believe the problem is what the mall is doing after the parking spaces are full, not the amount of spaces. I heard they were ticketing drivers who showed up and tried to pick up dropoffs after the lot was full. There's no reason for them to do that. No spaces, fine, no one parks. But not everyone who slugs in parks at the mall. People take taxis or have others drop them off there too.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 9:32am
quote:
full disclosure - i have no vested interest in the Potomac Mills slug lines as we only drop off at Horner 5 nights a week, and i have no interest in the Mall except the money i spend there).

Why do you even bother wasting your time posting in here if you have no business there?[:D]

We are trying to save the slug system at Potomac Mills that worked just fine for many years.
You go ahead and pick up and drop off whatever at Horner Rd.

Thank you

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 1:03pm
The problem isn't the Mall, it is the County Board of Idio... Supervisors.

I am not aware of even ONE SINGLE SPACE of commuter parking being added on the east end of the county since 2002. Oh lord, I'm sick of pointing this out.

I used to slug out of 234, then that filled before 6:30 with Staffordites. So I drove up to Horner every day until that, too, filled at 7:00. So I moved to slugging out of Potomac Mills, even though that means very few return slug rides and a lot more bus money spent. Now even THAT lot is going to be filled, very soon, every day by 7:00.

Please don't tell me to get up earlier. I am already arriving at work an hour early by leaving the PM lot at 7:30.

Our County Board are totally totally totally to blame here. They have blithely approved every single freaking subdivision put in front of them, with NO thought of how those people are going to get to work.

The ridiculous Route 1 townhouse explosion: are any commuter lots part of that tree-destroying boondoggle?

Ah, this is futile.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 1:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob

The problem isn't the Mall, it is the County Board of Idio... Supervisors.

I am not aware of even ONE SINGLE SPACE of commuter parking being added on the east end of the county since 2002. Oh lord, I'm sick of pointing this out.

I used to slug out of 234, then that filled before 6:30 with Staffordites. So I drove up to Horner every day until that, too, filled at 7:00. So I moved to slugging out of Potomac Mills, even though that means very few return slug rides and a lot more bus money spent. Now even THAT lot is going to be filled, very soon, every day by 7:00.

Please don't tell me to get up earlier. I am already arriving at work an hour early by leaving the PM lot at 7:30.

Our County Board are totally totally totally to blame here. They have blithely approved every single freaking subdivision put in front of them, with NO thought of how those people are going to get to work.

The ridiculous Route 1 townhouse explosion: are any commuter lots part of that tree-destroying boondoggle?

Ah, this is futile.

+1

Who lives in pineapple under the sea? ...squarepants. [:o)]

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 4:16pm
I'll guess part of the problem with the lots not being used is if drivers don't find it convenient to pick up/drop off. We have the same problem in Springfield. A 266 space commuter parking lot was built on Backlick Road. It opened in December of 2007 and sits empty. Flyers were put on cars at Springfield Plaza to get riders from the Franconia/Kingstowne area to use this lot, but they won't park there. When a slug line was started at Springfield Mall (mgmt donated spaces), the drivers/riders were there in the morning but drivers found it "inconvenient" to drop riders back at that lot in the evening.

A waste of taxpayer money.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 4:44pm
... and there is also the 280-space VDOT commuter lot at the corner of Gambrill Rd and the Fairfax County Parkway that might get to 20% of capacity on a good day. It's only used now by bus riders and for carpool rendezvous.

Jody is right. It must be the convenience thing -- and old habits die hard.

Posted By: 757slugger
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 5:03pm
Spongebob you are right. I use to get to Potomac Mills by 7:30 and there were ample spaces. Today the spaces were limited by 7:20. It seems that the lot will eventually fill up by 7:00am. I overheard a lady taking her turn yelling at management this morning. They advised her that some of the retail management were complaining and that they are contractually obligated to have a certain number of available spaces open for them. I agree and have no problem, but the spaces were are occupying are not near the mall entrances. The road blocks were put up even though there were spaces available in certain sections. It was way more sluggers than drivers today and eventually with the way security is handling the issue in the morning more drivers are going to drive elsewhere to pick up slugs because of the inconvience this issue is causing.

Posted By: bagless
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 6:05pm
Dear Rideless,

I rode home with you this evening and realized I left my bag in the rear of your car. Please contact my husband at 703-859-2820 to arrange for the return of my bag.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Bagless

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 7:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bowman

I believe the problem is what the mall is doing after the parking spaces are full, not the amount of spaces. I heard they were ticketing drivers who showed up and tried to pick up dropoffs after the lot was full. There's no reason for them to do that. No spaces, fine, no one parks. But not everyone who slugs in parks at the mall. People take taxis or have others drop them off there too.

i understand that, Joe, and i don't think it's right either. but has anyone tried to communicate with mall management or the owners (NOT the renta cops, they're just doing what they were told to do) to get their policy or explain the kiss and ride concept with people dropping slugs off and not parking, or are we just gonna rush right into a boycott and negative publicity campaign that will surely have a negative effect on the entire lot?

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 7:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by Late rider
Why do you even bother wasting your time posting in here if you have no business there?[:D]

We are trying to save the slug system at Potomac Mills that worked just fine for many years.
You go ahead and pick up and drop off whatever at Horner Rd.

Thank you

Late Rider, I want to save the slug system too. It's a system I have participated in as both a driver and a rider for 16 years. I make the point that I don't use the Potomac Mills lot to show that I am not personally invested in that one lot. But I AM invested in the system. And calls to boycott the Mall that has granted use of nearly 1,000 parking places is short sighted at best, and counter productive at worst.

There is no agreement with the county for slugs to use those spaces. They are a "donation" from the management company that operates the mall to the community. What do you think you will gain by complaining to the BOCS? The board can't compel Simon Properties to turn over an ever-increasing amount of parking spots to commuters.

Having worked in private industry, I can just about predict what will happen if those here advocating a boycott succeed. The parking lot at Potomac Mills is privately owned. You are threatening their business. If they start to see even the slightest decrease in their business, whether it's from economic downturn or perceived effects from a boycott, they will retaliate by closing the lot to all commuters. And they'll have the perfect excuse to make it seem like it is NOT retaliation. They've already announced expansion plans, right? Where will they be expanding to? Parking lots. It will be the most natural thing in the world for them to close the lot (or drastically slash the amount of spaces allotted to commuters) on the basis that during construction of the expansion, they need all available spaces for mall customers. And no one with a lick of business sense could disagree.

I remember what happened when the owners of the defunct Incredible Universe closed their lot to commuters. Signs went up stating the lot was closed to all parking and towing would commence on Such and Such date. And guess what…towing commenced on Such and Such date. It was private property, and they were within their rights. Simon Properties is within their rights to enforce the guidelines for the commuter parking lot, whether commuters like it or not. I would not be a bit surprised, nor would I blame Simon if they started towing every car that was parked outside the allocated spaces.

I only ask that those who want to place leaflets on cars, advocate a boycott, involve the BOCS, and go to the media, to stop and think. Think past this week, and consider next year. You have a small group who might join a boycott…those who can't fit into "blue lines". No one else will care. The possibility exists to cause great harm to the slug system with very little gain, and the chance to lose much. Has anyone even tried to talk to mall management, or are we all just going to go off half cocked screaming boycott.

Oh, and Late Rider? Sorry that I dared to speak up as a voice of reason. Please do continue on your witch hunt.

Posted By: kayslug
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:54am
dude PLEASE hush! for these reasons!

1. us parking at PM is doing the community the environment and our pockets a great deal of good

2. no one is in the mall during the day

3. not extended the parking limit for no specific reason, just because they are "theirs" is petty

4. the folks that slug are the only ones who can really afford to be in the mall shopping like PM wants

5. i am sick of businesses thinking they can do what they want when they want when it is US! ME! my FRIENDS FAMILY and NEIGHBORS who spend $$$ there.

6. slugging benefits us all. ill will not sit by and turn the other cheek. I’m turning the other cheek with the gas and food prices, not to mention racism and sexism, this battle can be fought and won.

im going to send this to WTOP! EVERYONE ELSE DO THE SAME!

Posted By: aesthetic
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 10:48am
This is perfect... I just registered on the site so I could post a like to my online petition. I have set one up regarding Potomac Mills and their ridiculous policing of the lots. Everyone, please sign the peition and boycott Potomac Mills until we see change!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/MillsSlugSpaces/

Posted By: beenhere2long
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 10:57am
And, ironically.. today is DUMP THE PUMP DAY! A day dedicated to parking and using public transportation. What joke in Prince William County. We've been choked out of one commuter lot after another from the ever-increasing population thanks to our county supervisors who approved all the new subdivisions but not any new commuter lots. And, please don't bring up VDOT and Richmond. Prince William county could have stepped up to the plate and built more commuter lots on bonds just like we're paying for our own road- widening projects. As for ceejay.. I'm glad you're giving your input - being an open forum and a free country and all - but if you don't park and ride, you have no clue about what we're dealing with. Why don't you just stand down and read-only and let the rest of us work and put our minds together to find a solution. We don't need your negativity and non-help. Late rider, all the local news organizations have stories on Dump the Pump Day. It's a good day for everyone to rat out our PWC leaders and their lack of vision for a more proactive commuter community. WE NEED HELP!

Posted By: Stoutlvrsbeauty
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:40am
I spoke to Mall Mgmt on Tuesday and gave them an earful. They said they were contractually obligated to the mall tenets to provide X number of retail spaces, and that the communters ate into that number. They didn't mention that in the flyer. They directed me to the county. What's the county going to do if it's a contract thing with the mall and it's tenets? Heard COSTCO was the retailer who complained about the parking and forced the issue. Has anyone EVER seen the mall/COSTCO parking lot completely full - even at Christmas? What a bunch of crap. I sent a message to 7 On Your Side. Everyone should! We need those spaces!

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:53am
For those of you suggesting other slug locations like the 95 lot and the Gambrills Rd lot, I have some questions. Do those locations have slug lines going to all destinations? I know some places do not service Crystal City. The back end is equally a problem. If I can get to Crystal City, how do I get home if those are not frequented lots?

Yes, it is absolutely a convenience thing. I already come from Manassas to get a parking spot so I can slug. I'm a single mother of three, and I've got to get kids to daycare in the morning, which also means I can't afford to take the bus or drive myself.

Hey CeeJay2 - if you're not involved, then please stick to what you know.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 12:00pm
Hey 757Slugger - that was ME you overheard yelling at the "managers"! I felt much better having vented, but what good did it do?

I've signed the petition and notified 7 On Your Side. I'm not above shaming the mall into giving back the spaces!

Posted By: Batl Cri
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 12:32pm
I too sent a complaint to 7 On Your Side. Maybe if enough of us do that, we can get some much needed press.

If shame works on the Mills Managers, I'll take it.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 12:38pm
I just signed the petition. I was number 8. EIGHT?! Come on Slugs!

Posted By: Wayne
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 1:31pm
As an employee in a store at Potomac Mills as well as a regular shopper at the mall, I am disgusted by the self-serving and whining concerning the enforcement of the commuter parking spaces at Potomac Mills.

They only have to “Contractually” give 275 spaces for commuters to use, yet Mall Management allows 950 spaces to be used. The mall has a contractual obligation to its tenants to have a number of spots available for shoppers. After all, shoppers spend money at the mall where as commuters do not on a daily basis. You drive there, park and then leave your car there for 8 to 10 hrs a day, free of charge, and they are secure due to mall security watching over the entire property.

If you are so upset that the entire parking lot isn’t set aside for commuters, then go talk to mall management and ask and see if they will allow you to pay to have a parking spot. I’m sure they would; after all, the mall’s primary purpose is to make money, not help you save a little on gas cost and be a convenience for you, though by them giving freely an additional 675 spots is more than generous in my opinion.

I’m sure your place of employment wouldn’t allow me to come in and, say, use your restroom facilities, or your break room because I’m tiered and need to sit down for a moment and take a rest, especially if I was going to be there 8 to 10 hrs. Now would they?

Think about it from the mall’s point of view as opposed to only thinking about your own selfish needs and wants.

I personally think the mall should only allow the 275 spots it has a contract/proffer with the county to provide and no more. Or they should charge a reasonable fee, say $1 per day, to park and then they can have 1300 commuters parking a day and would make something off of people like you who want to whine and cry because you can’t have it your way. And legally, the mall can go back to only having 275 spots and there’s nothing you can do, it’s a legal and binding proffer with the county. Would you care to see that happen?

The mall has no legal, moral or ethical obligation to make your life easier because your too cheap to drive a reasonable vehicle (I’ve seen many SUV’s in the lot) or to suck it up and drive to work and pay the cost of fuel. If your main argument is the cost of fuel and food, then elect those who will do something about it and not be salves to the Oil industry. Perhaps you should contact the county government and demand they build several leveled parking garages for commuters to use.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 2:37pm
Wayne, while I can understand that you would want to defend the place that you work, you also have no idea what it is like, nor do you understand the slug system and how beneficial it really is. The fact of the matter is, you could not walk up to our jobs and use the bathroom because we all work in offices and professional, private buildings. Potomac Mills is a mall, a public domain for any and everyone to come. And how do you know who does and does not shop there everyday? As far as our money going into that mall is concerned, many of us DO spend a significant amount of money there on a very regular basis, and some of us even run in to do a little shopping when we get dropped off after slugging from work. And since when is people working together to help each other a bad thing?? And since when is helping the environment or saving money a bad thing?

I appreciate you being on the defensive, but look at the big picture and how this benefits everyone. Potomac Mills is not in need of parking spaces... we all know how empty it is during the work day.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 2:50pm
quote:

Thanks for the petition. Already passed it around.

Posted By: toomuchcoffeelady
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 3:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by ceejay2

You have GOT to be kidding me. A private corporation has donated 950 parking slots for commuter use 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and you are complaining that they aren't contributing enough when they enforce the rules laid down for use of those parking spaces?

Let's see just how long it takes for those 950 spaces to go to ZERO spaces.

Seriously. How entitled can you riders get?! Although I'm glad to see that it's not just the 17 lot that has the inconsiderate assholes...

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 3:52pm
So, Wayne, if PWC is generous enough to build us a 10-story parking garage, you wouldn't mind, then, if your tax dollars helped pay for it even though you wouldn't be using it. Isn't it great how the community works together? Something that was free and didn't impact you, now will! How great is that? Maybe you can tell us where you live and we'll see if we can build it right near your house so we can all clog up your neighborhood getting to it...on public streets and all.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by beenhere2long

So, Wayne, if PWC is generous enough to build us a 10-story parking garage, you wouldn't mind, then, if your tax dollars helped pay for it even though you wouldn't be using it. Isn't it great how the community works together? Something that was free and didn't impact you, now will! How great is that? Maybe you can tell us where you live and we'll see if we can build it right near your house so we can all clog up your neighborhood getting to it...on public streets and all.

I'll drink to that [:D]

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:23pm
Stoutlvrsbeauty, I was impressed,you let them have it. Its better than trying to explain it over the phone.
Yes I will sign the petition and if you let me I'll sign it 300x time.
I love it when people who never even came to the PM commuter lot comment on how inconsiderate we are to complain over the spaces when you have never been out there yourselves.

It's nice for Wayne not to tell us what retail establishment he works for so that we can just boycott that as well. When you read the other post for PM you'll see that we hope that your job remains secure @ PM and hopefully they you do not transfer you out of the PWC area to another store location so that you can fight traffic and pick up slugs for the HOV-3 so you can see how it feels to commute.

I am suprised COSTCO was complaining, I was not aware people parked way over there.

toomuchcoffeelady: I read the comment on the other post. That was not lady like [:X].

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:26pm
hey Wayne, how do you get to work? Tell us all about your commute, please.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:42pm
Thank you Slugger! (here's where I courtsey politely).

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:51pm
Toomuchcoffelady, while we certainly appreciate being called assholes, and I truly mean that, imagine a huge chunk of the parking spaces from 17 suddenly taken away. And there you are as a driver trying to get to work in a timely manner ready to pick up slugs who aren't there - because - oh! could it be because they have no place to park to be a slug and get into your car! Why are you irritated at the Potomac Mills slugs? Too much caffiene? Besides, we're not talking about being rude to drivers as in your other blog, we're talking about the fundamentals of getting to work. Gosh, the nerve of us!

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 5:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stoutlvrsbeauty

Toomuchcoffelady, while we certainly appreciate being called assholes, and I truly mean that, imagine a huge chunk of the parking spaces from 17 suddenly taken away. And there you are as a driver trying to get to work in a timely manner ready to pick up slugs who aren't there - because - oh! could it be because they have no place to park to be a slug and get into your car! Why are you irritated at the Potomac Mills slugs? Too much caffiene?

No, the entitlement is what irritates me. Yes, it was nice of PM to give slugs the extra 600+ or however many spaces. They went above and beyond their contract. Problem is, nobody's obligated - legally or ethically - to continue to be "nice". How would you like it if random strangers just drove past your house and said "screw it, Beauty's never home during the day... let's park in (her?) driveway!"

I mean, if you can get a ride to work without paying anything more power to you, but nobody has a God-given right to a free parking space.

And I was calling the slugs I've met from 17 assholes, not you.

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 5:24pm
The Mall may be public domain, but it is private property. thats the point I was making. Its funny you dont want the county to raise taxes to build a publicly funded garage, but you complain when a place that gives free parking starts to enforce its ruloes so it can continue to make money and abide by its contracts with tenants. I do all I can for the environment but I also understand that the mall is a business and a businesses first priority is to its profit margins. Would any of you be against paying to park at PM? $5 a day for unlimited parking? No you wouldnt, youd **** a brick thats what youd do. Talk about selfish. And as for helping the environment, I own and drive a hybrid and have for a while. WHat do you drive? Have you seen how many gas guzzling SUV's are in the commuter lot?
I understand your point of view and i do sympathize, but PM is under no obligation except for 275 spots. Yet they give 950 for commuters.
If gas was 99 cents a gallon, the 950 spots would not fill up and many of you would drive in to work. Now, how much of this is about the environment and all and how much is about your greed, stinginess & down right self sense of entitlement?? Answer that truthfully.
Lobby PWC to pay PM for as many spots as needed and Im sure they would, but i think it is onyl fair to compensate a place if its property is used. Unless its kewl for me to park at your place during the day since you wont be there???

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne

Would any of you be against paying to park at PM? $5 a day for unlimited parking?

At first, you asked $1 and now $5, why? Maybe you are the owner of PM after all but not the security guard with the helmet riding the segway[:D]

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 8:35am
Oh, Wayne, you're so pathetic. If your job was at Macy's in DC how many people would YOU pick up in your Hybrid? You know your answer and so do we. Most of the people who choose to drive Hybrids do so so that they can drive alone. And how many people does that help get off the road? Why don't you do something productive today like ask one of your co-workers or another PM employee if they'd like to carpool into work. That way, 2 or 3 of you will only take up ONE parking place at PM!

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 9:38am
You know gang, here's the deal. I don't believe anyone feels entitled. I don't believe any expects a "free lunch". What I do believe is this: Any one of you naysayers would fight for what was working well for you should it be taken away. There were LOTS of benefits for all parties with having that one section of lot designated for commuters. I won't name them - we can all figure them out. The fact that a retailer (COSTCO) would complain about parking when there were still so many spaces available is just downright petulent. The retailers had no shortage of customer spaces (contract or not), the commuters had a place to park not in front of an entrance, everyone was happy. So let's put the righteous indignation aside, and remember that you too would fight for what you wanted.

Now hopefully we can be done with the petty bickering. If you don't want to help, don't. But if it's not your fight, then stay out of it.

Posted By: luvnslgn
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:25am
quote:
[br but PM is under no obligation except for 275 spots. Yet they give 950 for commuters.
If gas was 99 cents a gallon, the 950 spots would not fill up and many of you would drive in to work. Now, how much of this is about the environment and all and how much is about your greed, stinginess & down right self sense of entitlement??

Unfortunately Wayne, you are over-generalizing. I personally just don't want to drive, and would be more than willing to pay a nominal fee for parking and commuting, even if gas was $.50.gallon. I suspect I am not alone. I have had more positive experiences than not, and personally, I think society as a whole could benefit from more diverse people spending time together, even if it is for a brief time. This would have been unheard of 50 years ago, esp in VA. If I had somewhere to park in town, I would, but I am more than grateful for the oppty to commute this way.

As for PM, many sluggers DO constitute their consumer base.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:28am
quote:

You know gang, here's the deal. I don't believe anyone feels entitled. I don't believe any expects a "free lunch". What I do believe is this: Any one of you naysayers would fight for what was working well for you should it be taken away. There were LOTS of benefits for all parties with having that one section of lot designated for commuters. I won't name them - we can all figure them out. The fact that a retailer (COSTCO) would complain about parking when there were still so many spaces available is just downright petulent. The retailers had no shortage of customer spaces (contract or not), the commuters had a place to park not in front of an entrance, everyone was happy. So let's put the righteous indignation aside, and remember that you too would fight for what you wanted.

Now hopefully we can be done with the petty bickering. If you don't want to help, don't. But if it's not your fight, then stay out of it.

Exactly. Thank you. I just think that slugging is a very good thing in all aspects, and if we are not TRULY jeopardizing your customers parking spaces, then stop complaining, be a little more open and just let something thats works work.

I think all of those parking spaces at the back end of the lanes by the main entrance (by PNC) could be alotted to commuters as well as the spaces more towards COSTCO.

Question: how does the PM know whether or not a car is that of a commuter? What if someone parked in a different lot other than the ones we have been referring to? Would they just take the chance and tow a possible PM employee or mall walker's car? Do they have a running list of commuter's license plates? Do they have cameras in the parking lots and spend take their time during the day reviewing the video to see who walked form their car to the slug lines or the bus stop???

I would just like to add this.... I think slugging is huge... I think it helps the people and the environment drastically and is a revolutionary and ingenious method of commuting, helping save the earth, saving money, and getting to work on time. Realize this and stop being so pro-establishment. Be more pro-environment AND pro-the-people AND pro-not-having-to-struggle-because-of-ridiculously-unfounded-gas-prices.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:40am
Thank you Beauty for being the voice of reason. Now, let's do something productive. If you put an opinion here, sign the petition. I have forwarded the petition link to people I know who don't park at PM. They are signing as "concerned citizens." Perhaps all my blogging-slugging friends can do the same thing!

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:46am
Please sign the petition so that action can be taken. Does anyone know if its illegal to put fliers on people cars out there?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:54am

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:55am
I'm not sure if it's illegal. If it is, there are A LOT criminals out there judging from all the crap I accumulate under my wipers! I know I have been mentioning the petition to all the slugs/drivers I've ridden with over the last couple days. Like Batl Cri, I forwarded to my family to sign. The petition doesn't say you have to park at PM to sign it - you just need to be smart.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 11:08am
Just checked the petition roster. Only 20 signatures. So sad. [:(] We need to get the word out. 757Slugger suggested fliers, but also, email the link to people, talk about it in the slug cars, send it to co-workers. Right now, the only people signing are the ones who happen to see the message board - that's not many.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 11:30am
I put the petition link under another commuter site. So I hope this helps as well

http://www.commuterpage.com/slug.htm

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 11:34am
Is there a place to post something on the PRTC site? They should be annoyed as well since their ridership must have significantly waned this week. Does anyone know if they've chimed in on this issue?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 12:21pm
quote:

Is there a place to post something on the PRTC site? They should be annoyed as well since their ridership must have significantly waned this week. Does anyone know if they've chimed in on this issue?

I checked and did not see any obvious way to post anything on there. I doubt that they would have that feature anyway.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/MillsSlugSpaces/index.html

Posted By: 3-For-HOV
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 1:59pm
Wow! Let's boycott these businesses at the mall and put all of workers out of a job. What a great idea! Where do I sign?[V]

Rather than using another lot and starting a slug-line from there, you would rather boycott a business (and you don't know which one so you boycott them all). I don't think the loss of your business will even put a dent in the pockets of mall management -- they would be happier to see you leave. It's like those spam emails saying, "Don't buy gas on such and such a date." Do you honestly think it will work? I applaud your efforts but I think your efforts and energy will be better utilized somewhere else.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 2:41pm
quote:
It's like those spam emails saying, "Don't buy gas on such and such a date." Do you honestly think it will work? I applaud your efforts but I think your efforts and energy will be better utilized somewhere else.

Who knows if it will work, but I DO think that the thousands of people that slug from/to, pick up from/to, ride the bus from/to, or support the commuting from/to Potomac Mills WOULD put a dent in Potomac Mills' pockets if we all were to boycott. Yes I do.

Bottom line... there are plenty of spaces. They don't need to be so hoarding. It is ridiculous. When that mall is full of shoppers during the work day who cannot get a parking spot, then holla at me.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 2:53pm
You're right HOV. Hey remember how silly those guys were that threw a few crates of tea into Boston Harbor? I mean, really, a few crates of tea won't make a lick of difference.

Thankfully the Colonials, Michael Collins, Nelson Mandella, and others didn't share your philosphy.

Is this on the same scale as what those folks were trying to do? Of course not. But we will NEVER make a difference doing nothing.

If you don't want to participate - don't. Let those of us who are willing to fight Fight for what we want.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 2:55pm
quote:

Just checked the petition roster. Only 20 signatures. So sad. [:(]

Just a word to the wise, when I tried to sign it, the site tried to charge me $2 - $100 for my vote. I know there are sites out there where you can sign petitions for free.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 3:05pm
I saw that too. Actually what happens is when you sign, it takes you to the confirmation page which also happens to ask for a donation. The donation is not required to sign the petition.

Thank you for signing TooMuchCoffeeLady! We can use all the help we can get. You Rock! If I see you around L'Enfant Plaza, I'll buy you a cuppa. [:)]

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 3:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

quote:

Just a word to the wise, when I tried to sign it, the site tried to charge me $2 - $100 for my vote. I know there are sites out there where you can sign petitions for free.

It asks people for donations since they are completely free to us, but if you would read, it clearly says "No, I don’t wish to donate at this time. Maybe later, though. Continue to the Control Panel" Why would you be charged $2-$100 to sign a petition? Come on....

Thanks.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 3:59pm
You might want to check your link again. You can't get past not paying and if you don't check a block, it takes you to the next page to insert your credit card number and puts in $10 for you.

Maybe this is your commission for allowing them to sell your name and email address to spammers later. Just like those entry forms you fill out to win a car or some other prize, you basically are allowing these people to sell your name and address to marketers (read the fine print).

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 9:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by 3-For-HOV

You might want to check your link again. You can't get past not paying and if you don't check a block, it takes you to the next page to insert your credit card number and puts in $10 for you.

Maybe this is your commission for allowing them to sell your name and email address to spammers later. Just like those entry forms you fill out to win a car or some other prize, you basically are allowing these people to sell your name and address to marketers (read the fine print).

So I guess the 30 some odd people who have signed the petition have paid to sign it? Please....

If you think that web site is going to sell your e-mail address but you want to support, put in an old e-mail address for all I care... it does not show on the petition.

You just want to play Devil's advocate, and you can continue to. Don't have time for the immaturity. If you are not in support of this thing, then you need not spend any more of you time worrying about it, discussing it, posting comments, pushing the wrong buttons on the site so that you go to the donations page, etc.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 1:02am
To whom it may concern, I do commute to work at PM and I do bring with me in my hybrid 3 others who work at PM. I am not defending PM and their enforcement, but looking at it frmm a legal and contractual point of view, PM only has to designate 275 spots for commuters, not the current 950. They are not compensated for these spots. After all VDOT was going to buy up soem land not far from the mall and build a 6 level garage but Price WIlliam COunty didnt want a garage in the county. VDOT was going to build and maintain it and not charge a parking fee! So instead of bad mouthing the mall and threatening them, perhaps we should petition the county to allow VDOT to build a publicly funded garage. The orginal planned garage would hold nearly 6000 cars, more than enough for those who park at PM, wouldnt you agree?

I bought a hybrid before it was the cool thing to do because i do care about the planet, but i hate looking at all the posts here form so many self-serving, demanding whiners who only care about themselves and their convience. I mean, when I look at the commuter lot, I see a ton of SUV's and other gas guzzlers. ANd I bet you 10 dollars to one dollar, that if gas was still around 1.50 a gallon, there wouldnt be nearly 1300 people trying to park at PM and the 950 spots they freely give for commuters wouldnt even be full.

Im sure many of you shop at PM, but not daily and Im sure not enough to warrant using their parking spots for 8 to 10 hrs a day, 5 times a week.

I think PM should have a flat $5 a day fee to park, that way they make something from your all day use of their lot (Which is private property) and youd get all the parking spots you want.

After all fair is fair and I think PM is doing its part as a member of the community by giving 950 spots when they only have to give 275. THough I am sure that many of you only want more more more from them without giving anything to them in return. Thats greed and selfishness! PM has a responsibility to its tenants and shoppers and workers 1st, same as the businesses you work for.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 11:53am
quote:

THough I am sure that many of you only want more more more from them without giving anything to them in return. Thats greed and selfishness! PM has a responsibility to its tenants and shoppers and workers 1st, same as the businesses you work for.

We are giving something back by shopping there. Isn't that what shopping mall are for? [:p]

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 11:59am
I SIGNED! and i have taken the oath! i will not shop at Potomac Mills until it values their customers and community.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 12:00pm
Wayne....i believe nothing u say! y are u even on this site if u do not slug!?

Posted By: Mike2854
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 1:36pm
For the record, I have never used PM.

Why are sluggers using this lot? I think it is a pain to get to, especially in the afternoon. I have lived in the DC area a long time so I know how much PWC has exploded. Isn't Horner Rd. big enough?

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 2:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by kayslug

Wayne....i believe nothing u say! y are u even on this site if u do not slug!?

I think that he is part of mall management, maybe even Mr. David Gott himself. Now, if "Wayne" drives a Prius, more power to him. That is great. I just wonder about the commuting to Potomac Mills. How much of a commute is that? Are you commuting from Dumfries? "Wayne" also questions the validity of our concern for the environment. While I am sure that not all slugs are thinking about the environment when they choose to slug, it is a huge help towards the environment nonetheless. And since saving money is such a downright no-good, selfish, narcissistic thing to do, what about those three other people that you claim ride with you to PM? Are they not trying to save money by carpooling?

Anyway, I really don't care about your "commute" situation, "Wayne." I am just making a point, but you seem to be so concerned about ours and I am pretty sure that you are speaking for mall management as a member of mall management, so you are not going to see our rationale.

Wayne calls us selfish. POTOMAC MILLS, stop hoarding empty spaces. Now THAT'S selfish....

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 3:22pm
To mike2854 if you saw the news this morning on Channel 9 it was just discussing how Horner Road is being turned over to VDOT from PWC and they're not enough parking spaces. Normally VDOT does not get involved but with the influx of sluggers and gas prices they are now. People are actually leaving their homes early and sleeping in their cars just to make sure they can park and ride. The funding right now is being held up at the General Assembly for Horner Road Lot. They are trying to add 800 spaces. Eventually that should 800 less spaces that PM should not have to worry about.

Wayne once again you keep debating the same argument about other people SUV's that were bought before this crisis and sluggers having to pay for parking. That was not an option given to us. Of course people would complain if it came down to it but I have no problem paying for parking. Keep in mind they're people who drive to work and have to pay to park as well. Would you mind paying for your parking Wayne at PM where u have to work?

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 3:37pm
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by aesthetic

quote:

So I guess the 30 some odd people who have signed the petition have paid to sign it? Please....

If you think that web site is going to sell your e-mail address but you want to support, put in an old e-mail address for all I care... it does not show on the petition.

You just want to play Devil's advocate, and you can continue to. Don't have time for the immaturity. If you are not in support of this thing, then you need not spend any more of you time worrying about it, discussing it, posting comments, pushing the wrong buttons on the site so that you go to the donations page, etc.

Tried your link again. Again, it asks for a donation. Have you tried it lately? Before you go calling someone you've never met before "immature", I suggest you take a long hard look in your mirror and think twice before calling someone names.

Here's more proof from a previous poster...

quote:

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 3:47pm
I did not have to pay when I signed it. Even if you don't want to pay, your petition was already posted.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 4:30pm
The "immaturity" comment refers to the whoke Devil's advocate thing and trying to deter people from signing the petition by LYING about potential spam and fees.

Anywho, time to go... I'm gonna go pick up three slugs so I can drop them off in that huge, empty, vast, vacant, barren parking lot. Have a good night people!

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 7:02pm
I have no problem if they decided to ask mall employees to pay for parking. Id get a parking slip (receipt) and when tax time came around Id have something to take off of my taxes. Where I used to work we had to pay to park and I paid monthly and never had an issue with it. Plus if I had to, Id go park at 123 & I 95 and commute in to the mall. But thats just me.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:15am
quote:

The "immaturity" comment refers to the whoke Devil's advocate thing and trying to deter people from signing the petition by LYING about potential spam and fees.

Anywho, time to go... I'm gonna go pick up three slugs so I can drop them off in that huge, empty, vast, vacant, barren parking lot. Have a good night people!

Your "petition" speaks for how much [lack of] support you've gotten so far. Stop being reactive and an ingrate and start developing a solution like moving the slug line to another lot.

Be grateful Potomac Mills is providing more than the required 250 spaces. At anytime, they can revert back to the originally agreed upon 250 spaces. Think about the 700+ other slugs who will be angry with you for causing PM to take away the additional spaces they are currently providing for free.

Be grateful for the security guards who are watching over your car during the day so no one is breaking into it like at other lots. Be grateful the security guards have a job and are not being supported by your tax dollars.

Be grateful you don't have to pay to park there.

Not trying to play devil's advocate; just trying to provide with you a solution -- a simple one, albeit, to move the slug-line to another lot.

Have you ever heard the cliche..."can't see the forest for the trees"?

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:26am
quote:

Your "petition" speaks for how much [lack of] support you've gotten so far. Stop being reactive and an ingrate and start developing a solution like moving the slug line to another lot.
I'm an ingrate... I'll take that as a compliment!

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:40am
I think you'll take anything as long as it's FREE.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:41am
quote:

I have no problem if they decided to ask mall employees to pay for parking. Id get a parking slip (receipt) and when tax time came around Id have something to take off of my taxes. Where I used to work we had to pay to park and I paid monthly and never had an issue with it. Plus if I had to, Id go park at 123 & I 95 and commute in to the mall. But thats just me.

The fact that you consider 123 to Potomac Mills a "commute" is hysterical to me. [:D] Or that, in an attempt to justify your argument against our method of commute, you would even suggest hat you would park at 123 and ride a bus or whatever to PM. lol... you're so funny.

Well, I can tell you this, I commute from Woodbridge to DC every single day, and I am going to say whatever I feel when I see something which is wrong. And hoarding parking spaces in a bareen parking lot is asinine and flat out ridiculous. PM is is going to have a lot more empty parking spaces when all of us who commute to DC decide to go shopping and fill up parking lots of other establishments.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:52am
quote:

Wouldn't you? Shoot... show me the person who would turn down something free that is also good, efficient and positive.

Anyway, I picked up three slugs this morning and will pick up three tonight, and I alternate between driving and riding, thank you.

You people who talk trash about others trying to save money and/or do their part for the environment trip me out. It is now a crime to slug instead of spending $15-20 a day in gas plus $15 a day to park and it's a crime to get cars off the road to stop deteriorating our environment.

This is the reason that crooked companies receive government bail outs in hard times while families' houses get foreclosed in their hard times. Stop protecting corporations and think about the people, OUR economy, OUR pockets, OUR lives. It is that type of thinking that makes things the way that they are nowadays. No more quality of life. People need to be FOR THE PEOPLE and stop being for the establishment.

There are empty spaces. LET PEOPLE USE THEM!!!

Sign the petition if you want to see an end to Potomac Mills hoarding empty spaces!

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:59am
quote:

quote:

The fact that you consider 123 to Potomac Mills a "commute" is hysterical to me. [:D] Or that, in an attempt to justify your argument against our method of commute, you would even suggest hat you would park at 123 and ride a bus or whatever to PM. lol... you're so funny.

Well, I can tell you this, I commute from Woodbridge to DC every single day, and I am going to say whatever I feel when I see something which is wrong. And hoarding parking spaces in a bareen parking lot is asinine and flat out ridiculous. PM is is going to have a lot more empty parking spaces when all of us who commute to DC decide to go shopping and fill up parking lots of other establishments.

I think you've found your solution to the parking problem at PM. Park at the barren, tax payer built parking lot at I-95 & 123 which has plenty of available spaces and is serviced by the OmniRide buses. From there, you can ride the bus to the PM lot and catch a slug ride into work!!! No worries about parking!!! In the afternoon, you could just reverse the procedure.

Better yet, cut out those extra steps and form a slug-line at I-95 and 123 or even use the line at Old Hechinger's (Gordon Blvd and 123), which already has established slug-lines to DC. There are plenty of cars and spaces and no one is hoarding spaces there. These lots are also much easier to get to than PM and they are free.

It's hysterical for me to believe that you think going up another 1-2 exits is a commute for you, too.

Won't you at least try?

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:04am
quote:
I think you've found your solution to the parking problem at PM. Park at the barren, tax payer built parking lot at I-95 & 123 which has plenty of available spaces and is serviced by the OmniRide buses. From there, you can ride the bus to the PM lot and catch a slug ride into work!!! No worries about parking!!! In the afternoon, you could just reverse the procedure.

Better yet, cut out those extra steps and form a slug-line at I-95 and 123 or even use the line at Old Hechinger's (Gordon Blvd and 123), which already has established slug-lines to DC. There are plenty of cars and spaces and no one is hoarding spaces there. These lots are also much easier to get to than PM and they are free.

It's hysterical for me to believe that you think going up another 1-2 exits is a commute for you, too.

Won't you at least try?

It's hysterical to me that you don't think that, perhaps, there are specific reasons people slug/pick up from the places that they do. I have picked up and dropped people off at Hechenger's, Horner, Potomac Mills, even Bob's in Springfield, and none of that has anything to do with this mess.

The fact of the matter remains... Potomac Mills needs to stop hoarding empty spaces.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:12am
quote:

quote:

Wouldn't you? Shoot... show me the person who would turn down something free that is also good, efficient and positive.

Anyway, I picked up three slugs this morning and will pick up three tonight, and I alternate between driving and riding, thank you.

You people who talk trash about others trying to save money and/or do their part for the environment trip me out. It is now a crime to slug instead of spending $15-20 a day in gas plus $15 a day to park and it's a crime to get cars off the road to stop deteriorating our environment.

This is the reason that crooked companies receive government bail outs in hard times while families' houses get foreclosed in their hard times. Stop protecting corporations and think about the people, OUR economy, OUR pockets, OUR lives. It is that type of thinking that makes things the way that they are nowadays. No more quality of life. People need to be FOR THE PEOPLE and stop being for the establishment.

Sign the petition if you want to see an end to Potomac Mills hoarding empty spaces!

There is no such thing as a free lunch. It might be transparent to you, but someone always ends up paying the tab.

Slugging is not a law so no crime has been committed.

Without corporations or businesses, you wouldn't have a job or home. Without a job, you would have no reason to drive, pollute the environment, or spend money at a mall which will eventually shut down because there won't be any businesses. Vicious cycle so be careful who you point the finger at.

Pick yourself up by your bootstraps and stop relying on someone else to fix YOUR problem. I've offered you plenty of solutions; it's now up to you to act.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:21am
quote:

quote:

quote:

There is no such thing as a free lunch. It might be transparent to you, but someone always ends up paying the tab.

Slugging is not a law so no crime has been committed.

Without corporations or businesses, you wouldn't have a job or home. Without a job, you would have no reason to drive, pollute the environment, or spend money at a mall which will eventually shut down because there won't be any businesses. Vicious cycle so be careful who you point the finger at.

Pick yourself up by your bootstraps and stop relying on someone else to fix YOUR problem. I've offered you plenty of solutions; it's now up to you to act.

And I am acting... with this....

By the way, it's not a free ride for me when I drive into work sweetie. You little pro-establishment-endorser you. [:o)] Love ya!

And to everyone else who is in support of this, here is a little info:

PWC Board of Supervisors

Chairman At-Large
Corey A. Stewart
McCoart Administration Building
1 County Complex Court
Prince William, VA 22192
Phone: 703-792-4640
Fax: 703-792-4637
Aide: 703-792-5626
cstewart@pwcgov.org

Occoquan District
Michael C. May
2241-B Tackett's Mill Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Phone: 703-792-4643
Fax: 703-792-4833
Aide: 703-792-4644
mcmay@pwcgov.org

Woodbridge District
Frank J. Principi
Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 140
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Phone: 703-792-4646
Fax: 703-792-4993
Aide: 703-792-4647
fprincipi@pwcgov.org

Neabsco District
John D. Jenkins
4361 Ridgewood Center Drive
Prince William, VA 22192
Phone: 703-792-4668
Fax: 703-792-4669
Aide: 703-792-4667
jjenkins@pwcgov.org

Dumfries District
Maureen S. Caddigan
Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 145
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Phone: 703-792-4645
Fax: 703-792-4622
Aide: 703-792-4648
mcaddigan@pwcgov.org

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:45am
quote:

If you are willing to hit on another man with your terms of endearment (i.e., sweetie), you must be open-minded and willing to try driving to another lot? Right?

Now let's play ball(s). [;)]

XOXO,
Brutus Beefcake

I'm not a man, sweetie. LMAO....

Posted By: Mike2854
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:09am
Thanks to who clarified the reasoning as to why this lot is so popular. I have noticed a lot of people in the afternoon wanting Potomac Mills instead of Horner Rd. which I found interesting. They were saying Horner fills up around 7 AM. I just think Potomac Mills is a pain to get to (I presume people are using PW Parkway and then making the right on Telegraph and taking one of the connector roads to the circle).

I know this is quite a ways off, but Potomac Mills does get foot traffic when X-Mas season hits. I don't know if that is part of their defense and they are not saying it, but it is something to consider.

Posted By: sluggingforever
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 2:45pm
I have a few thoughts to share:

1. There is no such thing as "free." So the idea that PM is providing these spaces for "free" is not entirely accurate. Not to belabor the point, but 250 spaces were required to be proffered in order for the mall to be built or to receive the tax benefits it is currently receiving; the other 700 were not given to sluggers "free". Do not think for a minute that the PM will not use this "donation of good will" in future contract talks, talks with the County for R.E. tax breaks or talks with the State in attempting to gain additional corporate tax breaks.

2. This good will by PM is not a one way street. They are a corporation. As a corp., they typically work hand in hand with the community to be a good community partner. If they do not, they will likely be unsuccessful. This is not done solely out of good will, but as a calculated financial expenditure. They expect the slugs to shop the Mall since they are already there picking up their car, and they hope their good will entice slugs to increase their shopping there based on PM's good will.

3. I like the idea of a petition b/c it reminds them that their corporate practices are not in sync with the community's needs. I agree with SpongeBob and also think pressure needs to be put on the County Supervisors. Since we can't get the Sups. to willingly give us more commuter lots (or expand Horner) we might be able to pressure them to offer PM something in return for them freeing up the spaces that are needed so people aren't left scrambling first thing in the morning.

4. For those that have openly said that you do not care what happens to the PM lots or said that you think the sluggers are being selfish and not looking at both sides, I do not agree. We have a very tenuous slug system that has worked for almost 30 years, and besides it being threatened by HOT lanes, Hybrids that do not pick up slugs, spiking gas prices and economic recession, it is thriving. And, please do not think for a second that corporations have a right to set the agenda. It will always be the consumers that set the table, unless you give that power to the corps. People normally care about real issues that affect our day to day living -- corps. care about profitability(.) - and, of course, our real issues just so long as they don't impact their profitability.

This simply would not be an issue if slugs were not already squeezed by every other issue noted above. This is extremely poor timing on PM's part. There are other alternatives they could explore like moving the entire slug parking to an entirely separate part of their parking lot that is notably more underutilized than the section we are in now. Without discussion and uproar, rest assured that no other alternatives will be explored and this issue will move on to affect other lots as well (just give it time -- then you might care).

P.S. The 123 lot is about as stupid an idea as I've ever seen. The issue with that lot is not one of convenience, but it is almost impossible to drive efficiently down to it during morning rush hour (having to trapse all through Woodbridge first is not a viable option for those of us who do not live near 123) - besides there are no slug lines there.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 3:10pm
Well-said sluggingforever [^]

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 3:16pm
Amen, sluggingforever... exactly

Posted By: LisaC
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 3:56pm
With skyrocketing gas prices, everything's changing. After reading all these posts, my gut tells me that paid parking in Prince William County might work. Maybe $1 a day? We're kind of turning into Arlington. It's just getting out of control. Someone's going to have to figure out something new. As a driver, I have to pay for parking in DC, fill up the tank a lot and do car maintenance. And I'm just a secretary. I drive people who are professionals! I drive engineers and high-level government workers. I think $1 a day to park would be reasonable. Parking at the mall has just gotten way out of control because of gas prices, and it's only going to get worse (I'm sure the mall is aware of that, too). Once gas hits $5/gallon, even MORE people will slug and take the bus. It will be a crisis. The news reports don't sound good. I hear that it's standing-room only on all buses, too.

I'm just really ready for a 4-day work week. High-paying jobs in Prince William County would help, too.

Lisa

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 2:08am
I agree with Lisa. It would be better to do 4 10 hr days and alternate them so some will have mon off, others tues, then others wed, etc... it would help with commuter issues until our elected officials do something about the rising fuel costs (Nationally) as well as PWC with regards to building more lots and garages. Again, Id pay $1 to $5 a day to park at PM (Which is where I work 5 to 6 days a week) since You can keep receipts and take the amnount off of your taxes at the end of the yr since it is a work expense....see not only are you helping the environment, youd also be able to keep more of your tax money when April 15th comes around (Tax Day).

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 2:13am
Perhaps security should carry a salt-sprayer (Similiar to pepper spray) for rude sluggers, after all, we all know what salt does to slugs...lol. kidding. Now watch soem nut on here go POSTAL for a little humor. geeezz

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 9:30am
quote:

You can keep receipts and take the amnount off of your taxes at the end of the yr since it is a work expense....see not only are you helping the environment, youd also be able to keep more of your tax money when April 15th comes around (Tax Day).

Don't be such an ignorant Wayne. What you are talking about only applies if you are self-employed. [}:)]

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 11:13am
Wayne, you can only deduct travel expenses IF YOU OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS. It may be that you own your business inside PM, but the majority of us commuters are going into DC to work for other businesses or the government.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 3:17pm
For everyone's information, I received this response from Frank Puleo who I assume works for Corey Stewart, Chairman At Large:

Thank you for emailing Chairman Stewart about the Potomac mills commuter lots. I wanted to give you some information, which we have received from Supervisor May's office. Below is the information.

Thank you for your e-mail and I hope I can explain the situation a
little. When Potomac Mills was being built the county proffered/requested that they provide a section of their parking lot to accommodate carpooling, park and ride, etc... The agreed upon number of spaces was determined to be 275. That was the agreement that was settled on before most of the current board members, but not all were elected. It never was much of issue until here recently with the gas prices as they are. What happened is that the mall started experiencing a huge increase in participation and it became an issue with their tenants complaining about lack of parking for the businesses that were close to the designated commuter area. For the last several years the number of commuters using the lot seemed to be around 700-900 cars per day, which the mall did not have an issue with as the area was underdeveloped. Now that Costco is there and the mall has some expansion plans they have counted as many as 1200+ cars there on a daily basis. They have been allowing many more cars to park there than what was required of them and they are still allowing 900 cars per day when they have no obligation to provide any more than the agreed upon 275 number. We would push them on the request for additional spots if there were no other options to the
commuters, but there are several options available. The lot at Horner Rd is full on most days correct, but the Tackett's Mill lot is no more that 50-60 percent full and there are a substantial amount of spots available at the 123 commuter lot too. I know this may not be the best option for you or the way it was but we all have to work through this unbelievable tough economic time and make a pledge to continue to investigate alternatives to oil dependency.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us again.

Frank

Frank Puleo
Office of the Chairman
1 County Complex
Prince William, VA 22192
(office) 703-792-4640

And here is my reply to him and Supervisor May:

Well, taking into consideration that Potomac Mills was built 23 years ago and also taking into consideration the ridiculous over-population and continuous residential building to make the counties, cities, etc. more money, then we need to be accomodated in any way possible. I grew up here. Potomac Mills had been my hang out since 5th grade. Believe me, I know the difference between the population and the way things were then as opposed to now. There are way to many people here. The ridiculous amount of traffic waiting for us around every turn proves it. So, in the people's eyes, no one can justify the agreed upon mere 250 spaces of 1985 in the year 2008!

Still, the fact of the matter remains... the Potomac Mills parking lot is mostly empty during the work day, and commuter's should be allowed to park there. We are indeed boycotting and are spending our money elsewhere. As word gets around about this situation and doing something about it, Potomac Mills will lose many more potential customers and essentilly give their business away. They already are.

We pay taxes to the county, and we need to be taken care of. I know everything is about money, but the county better start being more for the people and stop being so worried about appeasing the businesses. We count. Remember that.

Posted By: sluggingforever
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 4:22pm
Thanks for that Aesthetic: That was a good answer. I think we all need to start letting our voices be heard with each and every one of the Supervisors. This forum is a good start, but I bet the people who need to hear us aren't reading this. Only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And that was a really good point about when it was originally proffered and the population then and population now. I bet if we take the increase in population ratio over the last 25 years, the number of spaces allocated does not keep up with that no matter how you slice the numbers. Besides the fact that there is plenty of room there and it would be no skin off their noses (do they even have noses!?!)

Reminding them that these are citizen voices that are unhappy and it is our voices that cast the vote (not the business'). I think it really comes down to being a good community partner......

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 4:28pm
Also, Tracee Wilkins fromteh Channel 4 news had done a story on slugging, and she had even slugged the other day from Potomac Mills into DC. I have ben trying to get this info to her. I could not find any e-mail address for he on the web site, but I left messages and e-mails with some of their departments, and I also wanted to see what would happen if I attempted to e-mail one of the other reporters. Based on what their e-mail addresses are, hers may be tracee.wilkins@nbcuni.com. People should let her know that while she was doing a story about slugging and choosing the PM lot to do it from, unbeknownst to her, there was a story right under her nose the entire time.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 9:15am
quote:
Originally posted by sluggingforever

Thanks for that Aesthetic: That was a good answer. I think we all need to start letting our voices be heard with each and every one of the Supervisors. This forum is a good start, but I bet the people who need to hear us aren't reading this. Only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And that was a really good point about when it was originally proffered and the population then and population now. I bet if we take the increase in population ratio over the last 25 years, the number of spaces allocated does not keep up with that no matter how you slice the numbers. Besides the fact that there is plenty of room there and it would be no skin off their noses (do they even have noses!?!)

Reminding them that these are citizen voices that are unhappy and it is our voices that cast the vote (not the business'). I think it really comes down to being a good community partner......

Unfortunately, the Republican led House of Delegates has an alternative solution to this type of solution. They are backing public-private partnership to allow tolls (see HOT section) to both reduce congestion and raise revenue.

How does this relate? PWC could well enter into such a partnership with the mall to turn the parking lot into a pay lot, with persons using the retail facilities receiving some parking validation and commuters paying full fare. PWC gets not only a portion of the commuter payment but also tax revenue, and the prices are raised until the spaces are "optimized."

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 10:57am
THE PWC of Supervisors even agreed that 123 LOT is not popular due to the accessibility entering and exiting to get to the HOV lanes. It would be certainly nice to hear from those that ACTUALLY park @PM have a contrast point of view instead of people who never entered PM or commute outside of the county limits.How can you state that we are rude or ungrateful if you never used the lot yourself. I applaud those that have commented on possible outcomes and alternatives that we can use. So I totally agree with you NOSUV. I have no problem debating alternative solutions from those that have pickup slugs or actually drove into PM lot. If PM was loosing customers due to overcrowding going into the mall then I would totally agree and you would not hear from me at all. Previous mall management had no quarrels with commuters its seems with the new mall management they're looking at situation as there is no money being exchange then why should they continue. As far as security is concern. PLEASSSE, we park there at our own risk and break ins have occurred at PM.
PS: before making solutions for us sluggers Wayne try to do your research first. We cannot deduct the use of parking fees as an business expense if we are employed by someone else.

Posted By: dfesta
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:16pm
Aesthectic, you don't like to pay for anything....boycott parking...pay for parking its that simple or park elsewhere its your choice to use that lot.....d

Oh remember slugging has been around for along time remember why change it....you are allowed 275 parking spots....ha ha

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by dfesta

Aesthectic, you don't like to pay for anything....boycott parking...pay for parking its that simple or park elsewhere its your choice to use that lot.....d

Oh remember slugging has been around for along time remember why change it....you are allowed 275 parking spots....ha ha

I pay for plenty. I definitely pay for gas and parking when I drive! And, to reiterate, what is wrong with ANYONE trying to save money if they can? And, to reiterate (yet again), how can anyone justify that the 275 spaces which were required in 1985 still suffices in 2008? I do not know why I respond to you nitpickers.

Anywho... to everyone else... this is an e-mail I just received:

The following information was received from the Director of
Transportation for PWC, Tom Blaser:

Potomac Mills and the Mills Corp. have been generous in allowing more
than 1,000 commuters to park at their facilities every workday, when
they are currently only obligated by proffer to provide 275 spaces on
their premises.

The PWC Department of Transportation and the PRTC staff have met with
representatives of Potomac Mills to discuss these issues, We will
continue to work with them to address the parking situation, but the
County cannot mandate anything more than the 275 spaces they are
required to provide.

The additional 700 spaces (975 spaces total) currently provided are at
the discretion of Potomac Mills. The enforcement of any spaces, beyond the 275 for commuter purpose, cannot be regulated by the County.

The County is also looking for solutions to the commuter parking issue
elsewhere. We have $1 million invested in expanding the I-95/Horner
Road Park and Ride Lot on the old PRTC maintenance facility off
Telegraph Road. We are currently expanding the I-95/Route 234 Commuter Lot to over 800 spaces. This project will be completed next year.

The county and PRTC are currently working with the HOT Lane project, to make sure it provides adequate commuter parking throughout the I-95
corridor. We will also continue to look for opportunities, through
development projects near the I-95/Route 1 corridor, to increase
available commuter parking in the area.

Using underused facilities like the I-95/Route 123 commuter lot, the
Old Hechinger Commuter Lot (corner of Route 123 & Old Bridge Road) and
the Tackett's Mill Commuter Lot may be the short term solution while the County and the Virginia Department of Transportation continue to move forward in the coming years on construction projects to meet this
growing demand.

Lynne D. Grasso
Assistant to Supervisor Caddigan
15941 Donald Curtis Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22191
lgrasso@pwcgov.org
703-792-4648

Posted By: dfesta
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:39pm
Because you feel the need to justify yourself

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 2:44pm
quote:
Originally posted by dfesta

Because you feel the need to justify yourself

lol...

If you are in support, pass the word around people!

By the way, to all the people who DO drive, what is so hard about picking up three slugs as opposed to two? Why not get one extra body out of the line and into the city or back home? Too funny... so petty. I will always take three and do not understand wherein the problem lies for other drivers.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 4:24pm
quote:

By the way, to all the people who DO drive, what is so hard about picking up three slugs as opposed to two? Why not get one extra body out of the line and into the city or back home? Too funny... so petty. I will always take three and do not understand wherein the problem lies for other drivers.

Either it's that one seat is occupied by work projects, medical equipment, car seats.... or, that it's something we came up with at our secret drivers' meeting, where we plot to make you slugs' commutes longer and that uncomfortable.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 4:27pm
quote:

Either it's that one seat is occupied by work projects, medical equipment, car seats.... or, that it's something we came up with at our secret drivers' meeting, where we plot to make you slugs' commutes longer and that uncomfortable.

lol... well I drive too, and I always pick up three. I think THAT is petty. I am not referring to those who have too much crap to move behind the driver seat. I am talking about those drivers who have three empty seats and refuse to fill one of them. Just petty.

I just wonder why people do that. Really. All jokes and condescending comments aside... why??

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 6:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by 757slugger

THE PWC of Supervisors even agreed that 123 LOT is not popular due to the accessibility entering and exiting to get to the HOV lanes.

Amazing how you can speak for [all] of the supervisors. The below was taken from your buddy aesthetic's posts:

"Using underused facilities like the I-95/Route 123 commuter lot, the Old Hechinger Commuter Lot (corner of Route 123 & Old Bridge Road) and the Tackett's Mill Commuter Lot may be the short term solution while the County and the Virginia Department of Transportation continue to move forward in the coming years on construction projects to meet this growing demand."

Lynne D. Grasso
Assistant to Supervisor Caddigan
15941 Donald Curtis Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22191
lgrasso@pwcgov.org
703-792-4648

-------------------------------

"They have been allowing many more cars to park there than what was required of them and they are still allowing 900 cars per day when they have no obligation to provide any more than the agreed upon 275 number. We would push them on the request for additional spots if there were no other options to the commuters, but there are several options available. The lot at Horner Rd is full on most days correct, but the Tackett's Mill lot is no more that 50-60 percent full and there are a substantial amount of spots available at the 123 commuter lot too. I know this may not be the best option for you or the way it was but we all have to work through this unbelievable tough economic time and make a pledge to continue to investigate alternatives to oil dependency.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us again."

Frank

Frank Puleo
Office of the Chairman
1 County Complex
Prince William, VA 22192
(office) 703-792-4640

Posted By: puglover
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 9:39am
quote:

quote:

lol... well I drive too, and I always pick up three. I think THAT is petty. I am not referring to those who have too much crap to move behind the driver seat. I am talking about those drivers who have three empty seats and refuse to fill one of them. Just petty.

I just wonder why people do that. Really. All jokes and condescending comments aside... why??

Most of us on don't pick up a fourth rider because we are not a taxi service. It only takes 3 to ride on HOV. Also, that fourth person adds to the weight of the car, which then causes the engine to use more gas to move that weight. I'm not saying that the fourth rider is overweight, just that additional weight is added. I think each driver will decide if they want to take an additional rider; you needn't try to shame us into doing so.

Posted By: Hi Ho Hi Ho
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 9:49am
I don't think the issue is just Potomac Mills - I think there is a much bigger issue and that is the fact that many commuters come up from the South (Stafford and Fredericksburg) and park in the Prince William County commuter lots taking valuable spaces at Horner Road and Potomac Mills. From my limited knowledge (and from talking to commuters from Stafford and Fredericksburg), those areas do not have commuter lots like we have in PW county. Those lots in Stafford and Fredericksburg are smaller and fill up very early and there are not many of them. This then forces those commuters to find other lots - hence driving to PWC and parking at the commuter lots in PWC. It would be interesting to walk around the lots and see just how many non-PWC county stickers are on cars parked in those lots and then take this information to VDOT and petition them to build more or increase the size of the lots in the counties to the south!

This is in no way a slight to those commuters from Stafford or Fredericksburg (or any other areas) - it's just a matter of not enough space for all of us commuters!!! So there is definitely a bigger issue than just Potomac Mills - we are lucky we can park there to begin with!

In response to aesthetic's post of the email from Lynne D. Grasso
Assistant to Supervisor Caddigan:
"The County is also looking for solutions to the commuter parking issue elsewhere. We have $1 million invested in expanding the I-95/Horner Road Park and Ride Lot on the old PRTC maintenance facility off Telegraph Road. We are currently expanding the I-95/Route 234 Commuter Lot to over 800 spaces. This project will be completed next year."
If this is up to the county - how is the county going to ensure it is helping PW county residents instead of Stafford or Fredericksburg residents?

Posted By: tverdich
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 10:40am
I see no good reason why PM chose to restrict the parking to 900 spaces.
They have plenty of available space. They are hurting their merchants by forcing commuters to go elsewhere.
Every chance I get I speak to the merchants in the Mall and let them know that mall management is hurting their business. When I park at PM I shop at PM.
When I park elsewhere I shop elsewhere.
This is not even a boycott it's a matter of convenience.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net