Print Page | Close Window

All electrics are coming

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: Archived Slugging Topics
Forum Name: Hybrids
Forum Description: This area is devoted to the discussion of hybrid vehicles and their impact to the HOV.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3818
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 11:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: All electrics are coming
Posted By: Deanwvu
Subject: All electrics are coming
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 5:13pm
All electric vehicles are coming, hopefully within 2 years. Heck, if I lived in SoCal, I would be getting one in the next 6-12 months.

Who will be getting one? All you hybrid owners gonna trade up?

Replies:
Posted By: toomuchcoffeelady
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 1:30pm
You have to check with your riders to make sure it's OK for you to trade in your car...

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 1:45pm
Hahaa

My sarcasm detector is pinging away!

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2008 at 4:44pm
No really, someone started a thread awhile back asking for feedback in "what kind of car is comfortable for slugs to ride in the backseat?"

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 9:23am
Where do I sign up to get one?

Now this is a technology I can get behind; they are blazing fast, no pollution, cost only about $1. per charge, and with modern battery tech they can get 2 - 300 miles per charge. Has anyone seen the Tesla? Not a prototype, but a small electric car manufacturer that builds these for today's driver! True, the are only produced in small amounts (for now) and they are about $100,000. each, but mass production will solve both of those problems.

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 1:02pm
Years ago, I asked a friend about buying a hybrid and he advised against buying one. He had been following the technology and said auto manufacturers would be building a new hybrid and the older ones would lose their classification as a hybrid. He said the only way owners of older hybrids could keep their classification would be to replace the engine. He said that would be very $$$$.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 9:14am
The Tesla, unfortunately, is a rich man's toy at the moment.

They are coming out with a reasonably priced 4 seater sedan type in the next few years (reasonable is around $40k).

My favorite is this 2 seater:

http://www.aptera.com - www.aptera.com

But, it is only available in Southern California, where all new auto tech apparently goes to be born.

This Mitsubishi will be more likely to come to DC:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/special/ev/index.html - http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/special/ev/index.html

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 3:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Years ago, I asked a friend about buying a hybrid and he advised against buying one. He had been following the technology and said auto manufacturers would be building a new hybrid and the older ones would lose their classification as a hybrid. He said the only way owners of older hybrids could keep their classification would be to replace the engine. He said that would be very $$$$.

While you've been waiting, I've logged over 100K miles on my hybrid. Did you see the article about how Mont. County replaced 1/2 of their fleet with hybrids? Stats showed that the hybrids had more miles but used 1/3 the gas for tremendous savings.

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal! Still, there are those who continue to wait. And wait.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 12:20pm
My current car is 10 yrs old and due to commuting in the slug line, it still doesn't have a 100,000 miles on it. I'd say that's excellent mileage and saving wear & tear on my car.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 4:51pm
So, are you one of those rider only slugs that there's so much angnst against in the General topic area? One of those that some call selfish?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 10:41am
I drive one day a week and slug in the other four days. You could pick up riders to help commuters get to work and thereby reduce the number of cars on the road, but you choose to ride alone in HOV. Your way of commuting fits the definition of selfish than my way.

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 8:42pm
Electric vehicles are old news. In 1996, GM released the EV1, and as of 2003 began taking them back and crushing them all for scrap metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdUfAEIEos
http://ev1-club.power.net/

Not that I think electric vehicles are the best idea, but they're a good stepping stone provided we get our power from a good source, They're better than hybrids.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Electric vehicles are old news. In 1996, GM released the EV1, and as of 2003 began taking them back and crushing them all for scrap metal.

This thread was old news until you brought it back to life.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2008 at 2:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal!

I paid $1.61/gal for gas the other day...

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 10:37am
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal!

I paid $1.61/gal for gas the other day...

Just think - it could be <$.50 if everyone in the US traded in their conventional vehicle for a hybrid. i/3 of any cost translates to 2/3 savings.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 12:50pm
NoSUV, I still can't figure out which you are, a shill for VDOT or a shill for hybrid cars. Either way you're annoying.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 4:29pm
Welcome to the light TMCL, I've been saying that about NOSUV/YesSOV for a while now. There is a financial/political interest as a motivator at work here (not an ecological, nor an altruistic one)!

BTW, if gas was $.50 a gallon, hybrids would die on the vine! The financials for alternate fuel development don't work when gas is cheap.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 8:07am
^

True that. Fuel for me is already under a buck a gallon and I wouldn't ever consider trading my vehicle in on a hybrid.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 12:49pm
Yeah look what lower gas prices have already done. I love America....

Big is back: As pump prices plunge, SUV sales surge
Buyers with short memories when it comes to gas prices find hot deals on big vehicles.
By Adrianne Jeffries | Special to the Daily Press
December 30, 2008
NEWPORT NEWS - It looks like the Highlander is in and the Prius is out — for now at least.

Trucks and sport utility vehicles will outsell cars for the first time since February, according to a December report by Edmunds.com, which tracks industry statistics.

"Despite all the public discussion of fuel efficiency, SUVs and trucks are the industry's biggest sellers right now as a remarkable number of buyers seem to be compelled by three factors: great deals, low gas prices and winter weather," said Michelle Krebs of AutoObserver.com, a division of Edmunds.com, in a prepared statement.

"It was this summer that customers were concerned about the gas mileage. It hasn't been a topic of conversation lately," said Dave Lawson, the general sales manager at Pomoco Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Newport News. The majority of Pomoco's inventory is SUVs, and its best-selling models are minivans.
Lawson said sales at the dealership are up, although they are still below last year's numbers. Low gas prices and increased consumer confidence are part of the reason, he said. But the real draw for customers is prices.

"I really think one of the biggest reasons the SUV sales are outpacing the car sales is because of the discounts," Lawson said. "The manufacturers have incentives like I've never seen before."

Lawson said discounts are biggest for 2008 models like the Dodge Ram 2500, which is currently marked down $12,000.

"This month has definitely been a little bit of a better month than most, and hopefully that will carry into the new year," Lawson said. "We're very positive down here."

The surge in SUV and truck sales suggests that the issue of fuel efficiency has faded in the minds of many consumers.

Toyota has already slowed production of the industry's flagship hybrid vehicle, the Prius, due to lack of interest and a growing inventory of the once best-selling model, Edmunds.com reported.

All this might mean a setback for fuel-efficient models that were heralded as a remedy for the country's addiction to oil.

In a November interview with "60 Minutes," President-elect Barack Obama described the pattern as "shock to trance." "You know, oil prices go up, gas prices at the pump go up, everybody goes into a flurry of activity," Obama said. "And then the prices go back down and suddenly we act like it's not important, and we start, you know, filling up our SUVs again."

Rick Gallaer, president of the Pomoco auto group, said the dealership just reflects customer demand.

"If the consumer wants SUVs, we're here to give it to them," he said. "If the consumer wants fuel efficient cars we will provide that."

Posted By: denden891
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 10:15am
Idiots! Like the price isn't going to go back up.

dO

Posted By: denden891
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 10:18am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond

BTW, if gas was $.50 a gallon, hybrids would die on the vine! The financials for alternate fuel development don't work when gas is cheap.

I'd still have one, its not just about the price we need to start investing in new technologies, gas won't be available forever!

dO

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 2:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by denden891

quote:
Originally posted by raymond

I'd still have one, its not just about the price we need to start investing in new technologies, gas won't be available forever!

dO

Diesel will, The technology is here. It's just politicians will never allow it because they are in bed with big oil.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net