Print Page | Close Window

Springfield Plaza Lot Closure

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4046
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 2:38pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Springfield Plaza Lot Closure
Posted By: c_quintarelli
Subject: Springfield Plaza Lot Closure
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2009 at 6:45pm
I just got a flyer on my car saying Springfield Plaza will no longer allow commuter parking. This means we will loose 354 parking spots.

Has anyone heard talk of moving the slug lines to the park & ride on Backlick or to the Sydenstricker or Gambrell Road lots?

Replies:
Posted By: kmsunflower
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 9:10am
I received the same flyer on my car yesteday. Bob's location is an institution, but with the Springfield Plaza lot closing on January 31st(!!!), will the location of Bob's change? Is there any current news from those "in the know"? Is there a reliable slug between Sydenstricker/Gambrill to and from from 14th up to K between from 6:30-7:00AM and 4:30-6:00 PM?

Posted By: ledishva
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 9:27am
Please contact Supervisor Herrity (Springfield's representative on the Fairfax County Board of Directors) at 703-451-8873 or by email at springfield@fairfaxcounty.gov. I've already contacted them but the more who do, the better. I requested an extension so we can move the line and asked if we could use Springfield Mall and get 800 spots there.

My guess is we will have to move the line - we can't lose that many parking spots and the lots they mentioned are too far away for people to park.

Posted By: wyldedaisy
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 10:05am
Actually, though surely a lot of residents in Herrity's district may use this lot for slugging, it is in the Lee District (Herrity's Springfield District line ends near St. Bernadette's). I recommend contacting the Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay 703-971-6262 leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov as I did.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 10:21am
I suspect this was part of the "master plan" to move slugs to the Backlick Road and Gambrill commuter lots.

Posted By: vaslugger
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 10:35am
But Backlick Road and Gambrill commuter lots are no where large enough to hold all of us that parked at Springfield Plaza.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:24am
Thanks for the info - I contacted McKay too.

Posted By: punjachoud
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:37am
why they are closing Springfield plaza lot?
causing any problem to shopers parking ?

rama rama

Posted By: TWO
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by punjachoud

why they are closing Springfield plaza lot?
causing any problem to shopers parking ?

My guess is they're going to build more 'retail' or restaurants in the parking lot? Too bad - that's a very well known and convenient lot.

Posted By: Springfield slug
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 12:19pm
The Gambrill and Backlick Park and Ride lots would be excellent options. Both are not used now.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 12:21pm
... and there's still the option to revisit starting slug lines at Springfield Mall. [:)]
Here is the message board string (all 7 pages) on what was done the last time slugs tried to start a line there. They got Mall support and Delegate Bolvin helped them.
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=177&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Springfield+Mall

It appears that agreement was for the slug line to be located near the JC Penney store for easiest HOV access from the Franconia-Springfield Parkway (VA 7900).

Posted By: Kfolkpsucan
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 12:51pm
I also just spoke to Supervisor Herrity & Supervisor McKay's office and they were also blindsided. (McKay's office has jurisdiction for this lot) The Plaza's owners association did not renew the lease and from preliminary discussions there was too much illegal parking in the lot. Also, supposedly the new restaurant opening would need additional parking.
I strongly recommend calling McKay's office (703-971-6262 or email leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov) and get on the email distro list on next steps to find a new commuter parking spot. They will be getting back in touch with concerned commuters so to get something done quickly we need as many folks on board as possible. [8D]

Kfolkpsu

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 1:27pm
I just sent an email to 'leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov' so hopefully they will get lots of emails and phone calls and help us out here. [V]

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 1:47pm
Please keep sending emails to your county reps! Get all your friends to send them too! I will create some flyers to hand out to folks in line. All you need to do is send a quick email to:

Springfield@fairfaxcounty.gov
leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 2:14pm
There is available commuter parking at the 2 underutilized VDOT commuter lots at Backlick Rd/F-S Parkway and at Gambrill Rd/FC Parkway (about 200 parking spaces at each one) -- and there still may be the potential for more parking at Springfield Mall.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 2:33pm
We need to get the word out to drivers and make sure slugging is an option if we go to these lots.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 3:30pm
I just called Lee District and was referred to Mr. Robinson, the Supervisor's Chief of Staff. I left a detailed voice mail concerning the closing of the Sprinfield Lot. I was told be a staffer prior to being transferred that this was the Springfield Plaza Business Owner's decision to close the lot, because of illegal parking, which the staffer said seemed to contradict what I told him, which is that it is often convenient to shop there after arriving back in the evening. He seemed to think this might be the strongest argument for keepin the lot open. Perhaps we can get an online petition going to direct to the business community. It doesn't seem possible that there would be more need for shopping space during the weekdays than commuters that need parking and who may then be potential shoppers. Just another thought. It also seems as though if the Bob's location is moved, it may cause lots of confusion for drivers and riders (especially on the return trip), resulting in a breakdown in the smooth system that now operates.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 4:18pm
Supervisor McKay's Chief of Staff returned my call to give some background on the impending Sprinfield Plaza lot closure. He said the owners of the lot (Dwoskin/Rappaport) are determined to close the lot and enforce it in early February. Their decision was a result of cummulative complaints of illegal parking overflow, which makes it inconvenient for shoppers and workers at Springfield Plaza. I asked if he thought a petition would be helpful in changing their decision. He agreed that a petition might be persuasive, if it can show how many times a week commuters shop at the Plaza as a result of parking there and if the number of signers was significant(200+). If someone with internet skills can post such a petition for e-signing on this site, and we can get enough signatures to make it powerful, McKay's Chief of Staff will deliver it and it may be possible to preserve "BOBS" at least for a little while longer. Springfield Mall may not be a great option, because of higher congestion on the parkway and it will soon be undergoing rennovation.

Posted By: thekazem
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 5:10pm

I can tell you that a lot of people park illegally, mostly by CVS and Giant. Blame it on the success of slugging.

However, how much money is generated by people who slug at the Springfield Plaza? I do most of my shopping during the week at the Plaza, but not anymore if I don't park there. And I have never seen a time when there was no parking available for people who shop at CVS, Giant, or any of the other stores.

Posted By: jsrutstein
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 6:27pm
Don't forget Supervisor Bulova! She and Herrity are facing off in a special election one week from today to replace Gerry Connolly as Chairman of the Board of Supervisors.

Giving commuters less than one-week's notice is outrageous. Not furnishing a reasonable explanation is infuriating. Prohibiting all commuter parking, because a few people may park in non-commuter spaces is absurd. I know I've seen such cars stickered in the past, and it would take just a few such cars being towed to send the message.

If this is allowed to happen, those spaces are going to be sitting there unused for who knows how long. In the meantime, riders and drivers are going to be scrambling for no good reason.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 7:12pm
Splitting the lines between the Backlick Lot & the Gambrill lot is impractical. If we did this, we would need to form two new slug lines to get home at night.
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
There is available commuter parking at the 2 underutilized VDOT commuter lots at Backlick Rd/F-S Parkway and at Gambrill Rd/FC Parkway (about 200 parking spaces at each one) -- and there still may be the potential for more parking at Springfield Mall.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by c_quintarelli

Splitting the lines between the Backlick Lot & the Gambrill lot is impractical. If we did this, we would need to form two new slug lines to get home at night.
Originally posted by sluDgE

I say we try Springfield Mall, which is supposed to have 580 spaces according to the Fairfax County website.

If the owners of Springfield Plaza don't budge then we have less than a week to coordinate this. We have to pick somewhere...

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 8:11am
Here is the reply I received from Herrity's office. It appears VDOT has been aware this could potentially happen for over 2 months.

Thank you for including a scan of the notice from the Fairfax DOT--we had heard about it but not actually seen a copy, so I do appreciate it!

Supervisor Herrity just learned the details of this situation yesterday evening. According to the Fairfax Department of Transportation's Director, the county did not want this to happen as it's well aware how great the slugging system is (when I spoke with Pat about this morning, he agreed wholeheartedly). The contract between the county and A.J. Dwoskin and Associates, the property owner, was supposed to end the last day of December and the county was able to extend it for a month. Dwoskin is not interested in extending it though the county has tried to convince them otherwise. The county DOT is trying to work with the owners of the Old Circuit City site about leasing spaces there but I do understand that won't help us in the short term. I spoke with Scott Robinson, Supervisor McKay's Chief of Staff, about Springfield Mall spaces as you have suggested and he is working with the mall to have this considered.
It's frustrating because Pat does realize that the two locations cited on the letter from FCDOT as alternate locations are not as convenient as Springfield Plaza; the short notice given to commuters just compounds this frustration.

I will keep in touch with Mr. Robinson on this issue, as though it is located in the Lee District under Supervisor McKay, Pat definitely has residents in the Springfield District who are affected by this change. He does hope an agreement can be arranged with Dwoskin, and would support something with them even if it is short term so commuters at least have more time to make other arrangements. I know he will work with Supervisor McKay to do whatever can be done to help alleviate this awful situation.

Peyton Onks
Legislative Aide
Supervisor Pat Herrity
703-451-8873
703-451-3047 fax

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:17am
You could actually rename all the afternoon "Bob's" slug lines as combined Backlick, Gambrill, and Springfield Mall lines if the efforts continue to fail to keep the Springfield Plaza commuter parking open through a contract renewal. Evidence that such an arrangement works is the single slug line (with multiple DC and NoVa destinations) working very well every morning at Rolling Valley Mall. [;)]

I'm not saying Backlick/Gambrill/Springfield Mall slug lines are the optimum alternative to the two slug lines at "Bob's", but it's one option (and a viable back-up plan candidate) -- and these lots would provide many more total commuter parking spaces than Springfield Plaza does now. [:)]

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:48am
The Board of Supervisors ought to immediately insist that the lease for the commuter spaces be renewed on a month to month basis until all sides can be heard and a better solution can be found. If the owners refuse, at least we'll know who the bad guys are.

I'm quite impressed by the information that Herrity's office provided. I hope they visit this site to stay on top of the situation and our ideas. They should be informed that there are no already unused parking spaces at the old Circuit City lot; so, that's not any kind of option. I'm a bit dismayed at suggestions that McKay ought to take the lead on this. First off, as Herrity's office acknowledges, this affects commuters from other jurisdictions. More importantly, McKay is one member of a Board with power, and Herrity himself is hoping in six days to become Chairman of that Board. I'm going to ramp up my pressure on my Supervisor, Sharon Bulova. If we just let Bob's die quietly it will encourage the County to be even more lax next time.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:53am
Here is my response - to Mr. McKay's response from yesterday. At this point I believe we have two immediate actions to take.
(1) See if they can extend the Springfield plaza commuter parking for at least two more weeks
(2) Someone take charge and put something into effect in the next couple of days. Otherwise, next week will be a messy situation. It seems getting home sounds like a challenge if we park at the new designated spots.

Dear Mr. McKay,

thank you for your prompt reply. Please let me know how I can assist in trying to make this transition for new spaces prompt and advantageous. The commuter "slug line" has been such a great system for all involved to reduce traffic and reduce pollution for the region and should be a high priority to resume a prompt solution for the 350 folks that parked in the Springfield plaza.

The owners have a right to see fit on how their spaces are used - that is understandable. I am concerned that this notice was posted the same week the change was going to go into effect. I was told by your office yesterday this was not communicated to anyone prior to Monday - but your comment below is to the contrary that the lease was extended a month while things were in negotiations. Wasn't a back up being pursued in case this happened?

I did want to ask about the previous discussion of using the very large and unused parking garage at the Springfield Mall for commuter spaces - next to Macy's. This would be a very viable location and I would think the retail stores wouldn't mind the potential store traffic from the easy access to the mall after a long day of work.

Please let me know how I can assist and I appreciate your hard work on this matter moving forward.

thank you,

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 4:38 pm
Subject: FW: Commuter Parking Call

Dear Mr. Folk,

Thank you for your phone call.. I wish I had better news for you about the
property owner's decision to discontinue commuter parking at Springfield Plaza
as of February 1.

The decision to discontinue using the lot was not made by the County - quite the contrary - we were doing everything we could to try to renogiate a lease but the property owners were not willing to renew. Unfortunately, we were not given much notice and upon learning of this, the County has been working with the Plaza to
try to save the contract. We managed to get the contract extended from its termination date on December 31 to the end of January but he bottom line on this is that Springfield Plaza is private property and we cannot force the owner to lease parking spaces to us.

There are several alternate locations, not as convenient as this one, but with available spaces-they are on Gambrill Road and at Backlick Road and the Parkway. Our County Department of Transportation will be providing more information about
this alternative later this week. County staff has been directed to distribute fliers and put out a press release to try to communicate with those parking at this location before they arrive at the lot next week. Additionally, we have persuaded the Plaza to hold off on towing until mid February We are seeking alternative solutions to this challenge and are in discussions about leasing additional parking spaces with the owner of the Circuit City across from Springfield Plaza to see if this is viable.

Jeffrey C. McKay
Lee District Supervisor

Kfolkpsu

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 10:41am
I got the exact same email from McKay. So Spfld Plz is being closed to commuter parking. Those 400+- spaces are gone. But there are still spaces available behind the old CC building, don't know how many, owned by the VFW, and the Methodist church has donated some spaces for commuter parking. So the BOB's slugline may continue at that location. But...

I heard that Circuit City WAS still paying the lease on that old building, so there has been nothing to motivate the land owner to look for a new tenant. Now that Circuit City is gone...? And Long John Silver is long john gone... That is a sweet piece of realestate for redevelopment!

Good thing there are other options! The Gambrill lot is a good option for anyone traveling west on the FfxCoPkwy. The new Backlick Rd lot has 280 spaces and is another easy off and on the Pkwy > HOV option to pick up the slack to former BOB's DC destinations; 14th St., L'Enfant, etc.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:09am
I think the best options are:
- Springfield Mall (580 spots, though many are used by people that walk to the Franconia Metro).
- Backlick North (6831 Backlick Road).

They are close to each other and drivers may be willing to pick up people for both locations on the way home from DC.

The biggest issue with Gambrill and Hechinger is that they are not close to the 395/495 interchange. [:(]

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:10am
Before we starting changing locations, I just heard from The Rappaport Companies who own Springfield Plaza (the section with Giant through to Trader Joe's). Based on his email, it sounds like Dwokin, the company who will not let us park there anymore MAY ONLY OWN THE PARKING LOT NEAR THE KMART AND NOT THE BIG LOT NEAR THE BANK. I replied requesting confirmation of this - if it is true we only lose about 50 spaces.

"We own and manage the portion of the shopping center starting at the Trader Joe’s down past the Giant and along Old Keene Mill. I have not received word that our ownership has decided to rescind the county’s right to allow slug line parking in our portion of the parking lot. A.J. Dwoskin is the Landlord for the Kmart side of the center, and they are the ones that have decided to rescind your right to park in their spaces (they are referenced in the notice you received)."

For those who had flyers, were you parked in the main lot or near Kmart?

Posted By: mandiola
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:16am
When I talked to McKay's office this morning, I was told that Dwoskin realty chose not to renew the lease. I left a message for someone to call me back but my husband got through to someone in the legal department who was quite nasty. Here is their contact info:

To contact our corporate headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia, you may reach us at:
e-mail inquiry@dwoskin.com
phone 703-273-9320
fax 703-273-5155

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:18am
Kudos to all of you who are staying on top of this, especially those who are posting about responses from our elected officials. Based on the posted reply from McKay's office, I've e-mailed them, pointing out that we still don't have a good explanation on why the owners are being so recalcitrant. Surely, if they realize they can tow cars after they close the lot, they realize they can tow commuters who park in non-commuter spaces. The owners are the ones alleging that such improper parking is occurring; so, they must be able to distinguish between commuters and shoppers/employees. I swear I've seen improperly parked cars slapped with big orange stickers on the driver's side window, and I've never parked improperly myself for fear of being towed.

I would hope whatever pressure the Board can bring to bear on the owners will cause them to reconsider their decision. Even if the owners won't budge, I hope the Board is self-protective enough to publicize that it's the owners' fault and not theirs. Finally, I hope when the owners come to the Board looking for help in realizing their dream of a Springfield Town Center, the Board remembers whom they were elected to represent and not their campaign contributors, especially those contributors who needlessly inflicted burden on commuters/constituents.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:21am
Stop the presses!

I parked near the bank on Monday and there was no flyer on my car when I returned that evening. I first heard about this from a fellow commuter on Tuesday morning whose car had been flyered on Monday. I don't know where he parked. Yesterday's snow probably precluded flyering altogether, and I'm icebound and home today.

We really should try to find out what the real story is here. It's bad to lose any spaces, but, if we're only losing a minority of spaces, maybe Bob's will survive.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:24am
I was on the Main side, or the side with the bank, but closer to Kmart.

I'm confused. The Plaza is divided by a road that runs into Old Keene. It sounds like Rappaport owns the Giant/CVS side and Dwokin owns the side by the bank and going back to KMart.

We need to see a map outlining exactly who owns what. Or maybe it's just me.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:50am

Hold tight everyone.

I just spoke with Joan Clark at the Lee District office. They are trying to determine which company owns which spaces.

She asked that we hold tight while they do the research and the District Office will be in touch with us.

It's possible we may only lose the spaces in the back by Kmart. Keep your fingers crossed.

(Although...I can't believe the owners complained about people illegally parking back there. No one shops at those small stores. I thought they were complaining about people parking by Giant and CVS). [:(!]

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 12:11pm
thekazem, I really appreciate your diligence in working with Ms. Clark and keeping us informed here. I'll hold off sending another e-mail message to her, but if you do speak with her again, please let her know that if, in fact, we're only losing some of the spaces, the same people who put flyers on some of the cars on Monday should put flyers on all the cars tomorrow and/or Friday clarifying the situation.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 12:47pm
I would like to second that - thanks for everyone's hard work.

I hate to be honest - as I stated before - why hasn't this research been looked into a month ago by the District offices when it didn't look like the lease was going to be renewed. After my discussion this morning with a couple folks from the Lee District office (very nice folks) I was wondering if there is any leadership (committee) on the "slug line" side. The Districts responsibility is to provide commuter spaces. The concern on the other end is where is the best "new spot" to pick up "slugs" (Backlick or Gambrill and Hechinger)and where are the pickup spots in D.C. (1 line 3 drop off spots?) My other concern is how do we communicate any new changes (if that would be the case) to the hundreds of folks that are NOT on this website. I drive AND slug so wondering how we can collectively agree and communicate any new change(pending the research). Btw - I did get a flyer on my windshield on Monday- I was parked over in the K-Mart lot. Crossing my fingers :-) thanks.

Kfolkpsu

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 1:11pm
I have confirmation both that the bulk of "Bob's" will survive and that Fairfax County's Department of Transportation did a lousy job of notifying us about the partial closure.

Here's the link to FCDOT's news release - http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/news/2009/09_029.htm

Please note that the news release only addresses "75 spaces," and, presumably, only cars in those 75 spaces were flyered on Monday, but those flyers said nothing about only those spaces being affected, and the news release lists other options, without mentioning the hundreds of spaces that will still be available for commuters at Springfield Plaza.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the link!

This is still a little confusing. The County Park and Ride website still shows that the entire lot is closed. So someone needs to update the site or update the sluggers.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/parkride.htm

My head hurts...[xx(]

Posted By: BurkeBound
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:29pm
Yes, this is true. The Fairfax County WebSite shows both lots as closed.

quote:
Originally posted by thekazem

Thanks for the link!

This is still a little confusing. The County Park and Ride website still shows that the entire lot is closed. So someone needs to update the site or update the sluggers.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/parkride.htm

My head hurts...[xx(]

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:37pm
First, thanks to all who contacted county officials to fix this problem.

I'm not surprised the commuter lot by KMart was closed. I have seen numerous people park beyond the signs. One rider stated that he walks into KMart every morning pretending to buy something so no one will tow his car! I've seen commuters park in the spaces across the access road by Giant/CVS/restaurant. I've told them they were parking illegally and run the risk of upsetting the mgmt company who allows us to park at the plaza. And I have been ignored. Obviously, a quick walk to Cir. City in the morning and to their car in the evening is more important than obeying the commuter parking signs.

Whoever is in charge of the spaces across the service road where the Giant/CVS/other businesses are located will get upset at the violators and we'll get kicked out of Springfield Plaza.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:37pm
If both lots are indeed closed after this week, we've heard from Supervisor McKay's office that towing won't begin until mid-February. This gives FCDOT plenty of time to clarify the situation. I've e-mailed them at the address listed on the news release, and I encourage others to do the same. I think we need to focus the pressure on FCDOT for now. If FCDOT doesn't clarify the situation before mid-February, we can resume contacting our elected representatives.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:55pm
jsrutstein, I completely agree. If we have a towing grace period through February 15 it gives the County time to clarify things.

But to be honest, I'm concerned about the owners towing next week. If the County does not have an agreement in writing, then some sluggers could be at risk. I'm going to avoid those spaces next week until we got concrete information.

Still no word from the Lee District yet. When I spoke to them this morning they said they would research and confirm which company owned which spaces.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:06pm
All we officially have related to the closure are:

1) flyers left on some cars on Monday by FCDOT;

2) an FCDOT news release that addresses 75 spaces; and,

3) FCDOT maps (last updated when?) showing both lots closed.

In the meantime, we have word from Supervisor McKay's office that a commitment was made to hold off on towing until mid-February. In addition, we have what we've had all along which are signs posted various places designating the spaces commuters are allowed to use. I assume some of those signs are in the lot nearest K-Mart. If those signs disappear next week, while the ones in the other lot remain, that's a pretty strong signal.

I'm still hopeful that FCDOT will clarify the situation this week, but, if they don't, I, too may let others be more brave than I about risking being towed, because I have to pass Rolling Valley Mall's commuter lot on my way anyway.

Posted By: sluglord
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:41pm
Great so are we now supposed to meet at Mcdonalds parking lot?
I'm tired of this city bossing us around.

Posted By: LCH
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:47pm
I just spoke to Beth Francis at the Fairfax County Dept. of Transportation. She said that her office will be issuing a news release later today clarifying that only 75 commuter spaces in Springfield Plaza near K-Mart are being taken away at the end of this week. Commuters will still have access to around 200 spaces near the southern end of Springfield Plaza. Go to the following website by cob today to read/print the news release: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
Let's all just get bikes and ride together.

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:56pm
Great news! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 2:47pm
Yeah thanks for giving us the bad news. I hear they are charging people in Florida and Georgia a standard rate to ride the bus all year round. That's insane.

Posted By: ede jermin
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 3:52pm
Hello all

Looking to talk to sluggers impacted by the Springfield Lot closure who may be there tomorrow - Friday - morning between 7am and 8am. Please email me at ede.jermin@nbcuni.com

Thanks,
ede j

ede j, nbc 4

Posted By: Jerry Senfield
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 3:58pm
We are already having a meeting there tomorrow. See you there.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 4:03pm
I've been violated by the closure.
Really.
Pushing cars off the freeway and getting stuck in Virginia is not fun when the traffic is flying by you.
If you are going to run out of gas at least do it by a gas station.
If I sit in gum in the backseat one more time, I'm jumping out of the van.
Are vans really the solution to an effect slugging.
What's a drive by slugging anyway?

Posted By: BabblinB
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 4:55pm
So Jerry Senfield you've been violated huh? Was it a green like 94 Taurus? I rode with this guy once who smelled horrible, like bad milk! and he insisted it was too cold to ride with the windows down. I always look out for that guy. He had an odd look in his eyes.

Posted By: Peyton O.
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 5:02pm
The Fairfax DOT has issued a news release clarifying its previous statement. As previous posters have indicated, only 75 spots are going away. The majority will remain available to commuters. Here is a link to the news release: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/news/2009/09_030.htm

The county's park and ride site should be updated soon as well.

Peyton Onks
Legislative Aide
Supervisor Pat Herrity

Posted By: Peyton O.
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 5:18pm
I've uploaded the map that was included with the release sent to Supervisor Herrity, as I couldn't find it on FCDOT's website. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/springfield/images/parking.tif - http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/springfield/images/parking.tif

Edit: I can't stress enough that map is not extremely detailed--it is only for *general* reference only.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 6:02pm
Peyton, I don't know if the fantastic attention you paid to this issue will be enough to cause your boss to win the special election, but I thank you and Joan Clark of Supervisor McKay's office. All my fellow slugs who weighed in here also deserve a hearty congratulations. Finally, thanks to FCDOT for making it official. Let's hope next week's loss of 75 spaces proves manageable. If not, I'd gladly join an effort to see if Dwoskin and/or the nearby business owners will reconsider.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 7:11am
"Bob's" slugs,
It now looks like you will run the risk of being towed if you park in the 'orange area with the black vertical lines' shown on the map at this link from Peyton O.:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/springfield/images/parking.tif

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 12:35pm
hello Peyton,

I second that motion - thanks for taking the initiative and responding to us on this listserv. You answered our main issues and I'm sure there will be additional questions moving forward and now know who to ask to get the answers. [8D] Good luck to your office in the elections.

thank you,

Kevin

Kfolkpsu

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 12:53pm
Yes I double that motion! And what kind of nut makes people ride in a car with no seats? I mean really! Isn't that slug-abuse?

Posted By: BurkeBound
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 5:52pm
We were on the channel 9 5:00 PM news! They reported our 75 space parking reduction. The news says the county is commited to finding additional parking.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 6:59am
Bumping above the spam ad that someone posted.[8D]

And where did the 75 cars that couldn't use these removed commuter spaces go to park yesterday? Were there any problems at "Bob's" or S. Plaza yesterday morning? [?][?]

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 10:21am
Look, I'm sick of waiting in the Mcdonalds drive thru once a week just because the driver is hungry. I want to get home! Eat before you pick us up and fill the tank.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 10:32am
Look, I live in north Springfield and I'm tired of riding on 395.
I try to explain to the driver that Franconia rd is much quicker, but he just tells me to sit back and relax.

I'm going to bring a pie to throw in his face next time he takes forever getting me home.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 10:34am
Geez what are you a clown?
Make sure I'm not in the same car with you when the driver goes nuts.
The 395 is actually quicker.

Posted By: cfusion
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:47pm
quote:
If not, I'd gladly join an effort to see if Dwoskin and/or the nearby business owners will reconsider.

I would think that the property owners would see the commuter parking as a source of extra revenue for their vendors. I certainly do - when I get there in the evening, I do my household shopping at Kmart, etc. Apparently, they don't see that.

There are two property owners in that area: (1) Rappaport Companies - on the Giant's (West) Side and (2) A.J. Dwoskin & Associates, Inc.- on the Kmart (North and East) side. Only the the property owner on the Kmart side did not renew the commuter parking:

A.J. Dwoskin & Associates, Inc.
9302 Lee Highway, Suite 300
Fairfax, VA 22031

It looks like we're only losing 75 parking space on the north side (near KMart) and the 250+ on the south side near the bank is still available.

So, now you can tell these vendors (on the North and East side) that they just lost your business:

Kmart
6364 Springfield Plz,
Springfield, VA
(703) 644-5230#8206;

Hard Times Cafe#8206;
6362 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA
(703) 913-5600#8206;

Dress Barn#8206;
6358 Springfield Plz,
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 451-4420#8206;

Credit Union Family Services
6314 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 912-3933#8206;

Subway#8206;
6315 Springfield Mall
Springfield, VA
(703) 924-9818#8206;

Life Way Christian Store#8206;
6312 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 569-0067#8206;

Hair Cuttery#8206;
6310 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 451-9600#8206;

Tommy Thai#8206;
6316 Springfield Plaza
Springfield, VA
(703) 644-7701#8206;

Bauer's Springfield Optical
6304 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA
(703) 569-1390#8206;

Carpet City
6354A Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA
(703) 451-0400#8206;

Colonial Animal Hospital
6320 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA
(703) 451-5400#8206;

Mandarin#8206;
6366 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA
(703) 912-3118#8206;

Dominion Medical Center
Mahdi Saad MD
6370 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 569-7555#8206;

Baldino's Lock & Key Service
6354 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 451-4388#8206;

Nova Comics#8206;
6324 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 912-6682#8206;

Oh Nails#8206;
6322 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA
(703) 644-6480#8206;

Sophia Jewelers
6330 Springfield Plz # 2B
Springfield, VA
(703) 866-2778#8206;

Tasty Cafe#8206;
6354 Springfield Plz
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 644-1255#8206;

Embroid Me#8206;
6356 Springfield Plaza
Springfield, VA
(703) 644-2057#8206;

Family Dentistry
Lee WS Maggie DDS
6300 Springfield Plz # B
Springfield, VA#8206;
(703) 569-8991#8206;

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 10:00am
Maybe not so much the K-mart parking lot.
I saw a driver get into a squable with one of the employees of K-mart that he was taking his parking space.
Besides, the last time I hopped into a car I thought was slug driver...turned out to be an unmarked cruiser handing out subpoenas.
Imagine my dismay.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 4:01pm
you jumped into a police car unknowingly??
no wonder you driver kicks you in the stomach.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 4:08pm
What in the world are you talking about?
I think you should stop drinking and typing.

Posted By: BabblinB
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 12:19pm
The Tasty Cafe has great coffee on those extra cold mornings, I like to have a friend drop me off there so I can read the paper as I wait. I recommend it adamantly!

Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 11:59am
I'm with Cfusion. I won't patronize the stores their any more.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 11:29am
Yeah, stores have feelings too..

*pounds on key-board*

*throws mouse across the room*

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net