Print Page | Close Window

What Happened to the Slug Rules?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4407
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 9:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What Happened to the Slug Rules?
Posted By: msniac2
Subject: What Happened to the Slug Rules?
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 8:51am
This is a bit long winded but there is a point at the end trust me. As a driver I find riders at times rude and uncouth. I have a couple of examples and this will help lend to my reasoning for printing out the slug rules and putting them in the seats for riders as they enter my vehicle.

No Eating Please - I picked up a lady on 14th and NY and she hopped into the back seat, I am guessing she had just left the Blimpie Sub place. She opened her sandwich which reeked of vinegar and proceeded to eat. I politely asked her to put away her sandwich and informed her that there was no eating in my car. She complained that she had not eaten all day; I informed her that this was not my problem and if she was a diabetic I had a hard piece of candy I could offer her. She called me some curse word put her sandwich away and we continued down the road. Once she got out I asked her to never ride with me again.

I am not your Chauffer - I pulled up to Horner road at the end of the trip and stopped in the 1st lot, the first passenger got out, I pulled into the 2nd lot and the back seat passenger refused to exit my vehicle. She asked that I drop her at the “Summerland apartments” I refused and informed her that she needed to exit my vehicle or I would park the car and assist her. She complained that it would take her 20 min to walk home which I stated was not my problem – I also asked that she never ride with me again.

Roller bags – oh how I hate them. There is a lady that rides to Horner from 14th and NY. Every day she has her roller bag. She put the bag into my seat and RUINED my gray leather seats. I NO LONGER ALLOW ROLLER BAGS to be placed in my seats for that reason. I now have another car and I was not paying attention one evening, daggonit if another roller bag person did not scratch the leather seats in my new car. Needless to say if you don’t want it on your lap do not ride with me.

Destroying my vehicle - Another 14th and NY street story – and they all happen on the way home LOL ok I pull up and this lady flings open my back door and slams it into the potters on the sidewalk, needless to say I had a dent in my back door that my husband was pissed about.

Coffee cups - I was driving my truck this morning when this woman hopped in, with her coffee cup. She fell asleep and spilled coffee all over my truck. Do you think she offered to pay for the cleaning of my can “NO” so now I no longer allow coffee drinking in my cars.

Gum popping – I feel like I am suck a meanie for this one, but do you know what it is like to have worked all night at the firehouse and have to be into work at 7:30am only to pick up a 50something year old woman who insists on popping her gum for 45 mins….. That almost ruined my day…

Freshly tinted windows – they tell you not to roll them down for I believe 3 days to a week – Slug hops into my car, down the windows go… Just bad timing I guess. This person has been forgiven.

Cell phone – I had a young lady get into my car at L’Enfant, she was on her phone, no big deal right – well she stayed on the phone until I asked her to get off in Springfield. I was listening to her boyfriend issues, STD”s he had given her etc. It was really a bad experience.

Please take all of your items when exiting the vehicle – I have a guy who rides with me and likes to pick his nose. He NEVER has a napkin, and I have seen him run the grossness between his two fingers and I believe drop it on my floor. Does he really think that I want his bugger in my car?

This is all I will bore you with for now. I am really a nice person, and easy to get along with I just wonder am I so out of touch. Just gauging for opinions am I wrong to have the slug rules on the seats for riders? As a rider I am quiet, I practice good hygiene (never smelly). And as a driver, I believe I am a great driver (don't we all) and I usually have music that pleases everyone Reggae to Country playing on my IPOD...Every once in a while you may hear Opera or Classical. I keep my cars in good condition, with the exception of the damage slugs have caused.

PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM OVER REACTING..

Replies:
Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:59am
quote:
Originally posted by msniac2

Destroying my vehicle - Another 14th and NY street story – and they all happen on the way home LOL ok I pull up and this lady flings open my back door and slams it into the potters on the sidewalk, needless to say I had a dent in my back door that my husband was pissed about.

I would have demanded this person's info and had them pay the damages. If they refused, then I would have called the police.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

quote:

I would have demanded this person's info and had them pay the damages. If they refused, then I would have called the police.

Um, what would police say? That someone bumped your door. Dude, you can't press charges against someone who rode in your car. I mean that is really silly. It sounds like it was an accident. Price of driving risk. Of course, a polite slug would have offered to pay but..well...

Msniac2 - On the rules...
Eating - Yeah no no not in my car
Chauffer - Ha, that is ripe...never had that happen
Rollar Bags - Dude those are the worst
Coffee - Yeah, I would have stopped the car first chance and had the snoozy lady get out.
Gum - Yeah well, things happen...
Cell phone - dude crank the radio up till she gets off the phone, simple solution
Tinted windows...um...oops...but I dont let the slugs mess with the windows in the first place

Posted By: luvnslgn
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:05pm
I LOVE your rules! It is amazing how little regard people seem to have for common decency. It is a shame they have to be reminded. I can imagine that seeing these rules on a seat without the explanation may seem a bit harsh, but you seem to have been put through the ringer.

Posted By: Oxi
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 2:49pm
quote:

b]Roller bags[/b] – oh how I hate them. There is a lady that rides to Horner from 14th and NY. Every day she has her roller bag. She put the bag into my seat and RUINED my gray leather seats. I NO LONGER ALLOW ROLLER BAGS to be placed in my seats for that reason. I now have another car and I was not paying attention one evening, daggonit if another roller bag person did not scratch the leather seats in my new car. Needless to say if you don’t want it on your lap do not ride with me.

Well, waht do you know, I can beat you with a better story! :-) One morning I picked up 2 guys from Rolling Valey, and before getting in, one of them says "Could I please use your trunk?" Well, I got out and opened my trunk and what do I see next to they guy? A LARGE SUITECASE! He obviously was leaving DC that day and decided to save money on cab/gas/whatever and use my car for his luggage. I let him do it this time - I guess I was too stunned to say anything - but that will never happen again. Weird!

Posted By: smithma
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:19pm
Gum popping – I feel like I am suck a meanie for this one, but do you know what it is like to have worked all night at the firehouse and have to be into work at 7:30am only to pick up a 50something year old woman who insists on popping her gum for 45 mins….. That almost ruined my day…

[:(!]This one of my pet peeves also. Don't mind the gum chewing but I don't need to hear it.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:04am
quote:
Originally posted by Oxi

quote:

b]Roller bags[/b] – oh how I hate them. There is a lady that rides to Horner from 14th and NY. Every day she has her roller bag. She put the bag into my seat and RUINED my gray leather seats. I NO LONGER ALLOW ROLLER BAGS to be placed in my seats for that reason. I now have another car and I was not paying attention one evening, daggonit if another roller bag person did not scratch the leather seats in my new car. Needless to say if you don’t want it on your lap do not ride with me.

Well, waht do you know, I can beat you with a better story! :-) One morning I picked up 2 guys from Rolling Valey, and before getting in, one of them says "Could I please use your trunk?" Well, I got out and opened my trunk and what do I see next to they guy? A LARGE SUITECASE! He obviously was leaving DC that day and decided to save money on cab/gas/whatever and use my car for his luggage. I let him do it this time - I guess I was too stunned to say anything - but that will never happen again. Weird!

Uh...Are you honestly saying that you have never picked up a slug going to the airport? You're kidding, right? Feds go on official travel all the time - what's up with this new rule that they can't slug when they do so?

Posted By: RetiredMarine
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:37am
I personally like your rules. As for the luggage if it doesn’t fit on there laps or the floor in front of them it doesn’t need to come in my car. Sorry the ride is FREE not a taxi.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 10:25am
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:
Originally posted by Oxi

quote:

Uh...Are you honestly saying that you have never picked up a slug going to the airport? You're kidding, right? Feds go on official travel all the time - what's up with this new rule that they can't slug when they do so?

Yes, it honestly was the first time when I had someone with a suitcase in my car. And if feds go on official travel, they are welcome in my car with overnight carry-on luggage. Not with heavy luggage.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 4:04pm
What an incredibly selfish attitude. I guess the spirit of mutual aid is dead among the newcomers to slugging. I would say that I think it's a shame but I know that they are selfish enough that they would compromise their principles in a heartbeat if the only slug available had a suitcase.

For my part, I have never refused a ride to a civilian with luggage or to military people when they have something larger than a briefcase.

Posted By: ceejay2
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 11:31am
quote:

What an incredibly selfish attitude. I guess the spirit of mutual aid is dead among the newcomers to slugging. I would say that I think it's a shame but I know that they are selfish enough that they would compromise their principles in a heartbeat if the only slug available had a suitcase.

For my part, I have never refused a ride to a civilian with luggage or to military people when they have something larger than a briefcase.

good for you, MyCroft, you are certainly entitled to your opinions and your actions. however, my understanding of the slug system is that it is a system to get riders and drivers to and from work with the fewest possible cars on the road. that does not mean i need to put a sticker with Washington Flyer on my car and haul full sized suitcases. you want to do that, fine, but don't call drivers who decline to do so selfish.

rather like the slug who took off his suit jacket upon entering our vehicle one night and asked if he could remove my husband's jacket from the hanger to hang HIS jacket up. sorry, i'm not providing a full service closet here with all items provided for the comfort of your clothing (general you).

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:59am
quote:
Originally posted by ceejay2

quote:

good for you, MyCroft, you are certainly entitled to your opinions and your actions. however, my understanding of the slug system is that it is a system to get riders and drivers to and from work with the fewest possible cars on the road. that does not mean i need to put a sticker with Washington Flyer on my car and haul full sized suitcases. you want to do that, fine, but don't call drivers who decline to do so selfish.

rather like the slug who took off his suit jacket upon entering our vehicle one night and asked if he could remove my husband's jacket from the hanger to hang HIS jacket up. sorry, i'm not providing a full service closet here with all items provided for the comfort of your clothing (general you).

They are not only selfish but they are childish as well. They are saying they will give a slug a ride because it confers a benefit upon themselves as the driver, i.e. riding in the HOV, but they will not allow the slug to bring his necessaries because it confers an additional benefit upon the slug but not an additional benefit upon themselves as the driver. It is the very epitome of selfish and childish behavior. Wah! Wah! He got more than me! It's not fair!

Not only is that attitude and behavior selfish and childish, but I might also add that I find it disgusting that (supposed) adults behave that way.

Posted By: Oosik
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 8:50am
Mycroftt -- you are absolutely right. Drivers should accommodate all passengers regardless of what they bring with them or what they do in the car. It is only fair - for the passenger. While putting a bag in your trunk will require extra time at the pick-up and drop-off points, it is really best of the passenger who is, after all, not paying a dime to get downtown. It would not be reasonable for someone packing large suitcases to expect them to use commercial services because that would cost them something. Your comments have made me reconsider my less than charitable attitude when picking up slugs with my van and then only taking the 2 slugs it took to get onto HOV. My gosh, I unfairly and unjustly failed to provide rides to an additional 5 passengers! Sure my van would have been loaded to the max and I might have got stuck with a smoker reaking of fumes or a farter or someone who thinks my car is their make-up station and cafeteria -- but it's all about the slugs and I failed them.

You seem displeased with the idea that all drivers seem to take into consideration is that it entitles them to drive on HOV. Now if we did not have an HOV system in this area but slugs still showed up awaiting transportation from the drivers - how many exactly do you think would be picked up? On days when the HOV lanes are open to all, as on Veteran's Day, how many slugs were able to catch a free ride into town? Your point is well taken. We must all do more to ensure that every slug gets a free ride no matter the cost or inconvenience to the drivers.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 9:36am
quote:
Originally posted by Oosik

Mycroftt -- you are absolutely right. Drivers should accommodate all passengers regardless of what they bring with them or what they do in the car. It is only fair - for the passenger. While putting a bag in your trunk will require extra time at the pick-up and drop-off points, it is really best of the passenger who is, after all, not paying a dime to get downtown. It would not be reasonable for someone packing large suitcases to expect them to use commercial services because that would cost them something. Your comments have made me reconsider my less than charitable attitude when picking up slugs with my van and then only taking the 2 slugs it took to get onto HOV. My gosh, I unfairly and unjustly failed to provide rides to an additional 5 passengers! Sure my van would have been loaded to the max and I might have got stuck with a smoker reaking of fumes or a farter or someone who thinks my car is their make-up station and cafeteria -- but it's all about the slugs and I failed them.

You seem displeased with the idea that all drivers seem to take into consideration is that it entitles them to drive on HOV. Now if we did not have an HOV system in this area but slugs still showed up awaiting transportation from the drivers - how many exactly do you think would be picked up? On days when the HOV lanes are open to all, as on Veteran's Day, how many slugs were able to catch a free ride into town? Your point is well taken. We must all do more to ensure that every slug gets a free ride no matter the cost or inconvenience to the drivers.

Pretty funny reductio ad absurdum, but what in the world is your point in speculating about there not being an HOV? The fact is that there IS an HOV and the historical perspective is that it was the DRIVERS who wanted to get on it and so began seeking riders and snatching them off the bus stops. So the answer to your question about how many slugs would get rides if there were no HOV is that none of them would get rides - just as they didn't get rides before the HOV. So what's the point? [?]

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 10:06am
quote:

I am mostly driving these days, but in my slugging days I would not have dreamed about coming to the slug line with a full-size suitecase! I really appreciate all drivers and riders alike, but all need to stick to some common sense. Really! And in the future, I will not compromise my principles for a slug with a suitecase. And I do not think for a minute that I am selfish.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 11:19am
quote:
Originally posted by Oxi

quote:

I am mostly driving these days, but in my slugging days I would not have dreamed about coming to the slug line with a full-size suitecase! I really appreciate all drivers and riders alike, but all need to stick to some common sense. Really! And in the future, I will not compromise my principles for a slug with a suitecase. And I do not think for a minute that I am selfish.

I slugged for about 5 or 6 years and have been almost exclusively a driver for the past 4 years or so. I would probably draw the line at live animals or bicycles if they weren't collapsible but I haven't yet had anyone try to get in with something that offended me to the point where I got all huffy about "Not in MY car!" I've given rides to people with large portfolios, suitcases, those large rolls that presumably contain blueprints, military people with large duffle bags or a number of uniforms on hangars... None of it bothered me. I figure we all just need to go down the road and I don't care what they need to bring with them - it's just throw your gear in the back and let's hit the highway. I honestly don't understand the need for all the drama and righteous indignation.

Posted By: LiliWhyte
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 11:27am
No, you're not out of line at all. I ride all the time now; my ultimate destination in the morning is Navy Yard Metro (across the street, actually) because parking is at a premium in that area. I've "slugged" off and on for the past six years and have come across some real "doozies", both drivers and passengers. When the driver is kind enough to pick up "slugs", passengers should extend every courtesy possible. That includes no eating, drinking, gum popping or other noisy or messy activity, and especially no cell phone use unless it's absolutely necessary. The driver needs to be able to concentrate on the traffic and not be distracted!!

Now as for drivers, I've ridden with a few whom I will make every effort to avoid in future. One fellow who drives a red late model Chevrolet 2-door is an example. He drove (southbound) like a maniac, speeding and tailgating, in and out of traffic, like there was no one else in his car. When the other passenger commented, he threatened to stop right there on the HOV and have the young man get out of his car: "...either shut up or get out [right here and now]!" Another man (who looks like the "mad professor") also drives like a maniac, and he drives a variety of vehicles, so one never knows if it will be an aging Plymouth (or similar) van, a 2-door Honda, or some other vehicle. I rode in the back seat of his 2-door one time, with no windows down, no A/C or fan operating at the time, no ventilation, and I was "melting"!! Finally, about the last mile or so of the trip, he decided to turn on the fan!! One young "lady" played her radio very loudly, and it was not what I would have considered "universally enjoyable" type "music".

Yes, drivers are kind enough to share their cars with us "slugs". But drivers also need to be mindful of their passengers and consider their welfare and comfort as well.

Brenda K. Brummer

Posted By: ceejay2
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 1:16pm
quote:
I honestly don't understand the need for all the drama and righteous indignation.

that's okay, i don't understand the judgemental attitude that if other drivers object to being treated like an airport shuttle they are selfish. i absolutely defend your right to load up your car with whatever luggage your slugs may wish to bring. why can you not give drivers who choose not to do so the same respect?

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 2:45pm
quote:

quote:
I honestly don't understand the need for all the drama and righteous indignation.

that's okay, i don't understand the judgemental attitude that if other drivers object to being treated like an airport shuttle they are selfish. i absolutely defend your right to load up your car with whatever luggage your slugs may wish to bring. why can you not give drivers who choose not to do so the same respect?

The answer is right there in your post. I do not respect them because they aren't simply choosing not to carry large luggage - they are whining about being taken advantage of. It is this preposterous claim that they are being ill treated that rankles. It's the huffy blustering pomposity and righteous indignation that someone would have the unmitigated gall actually to position themselves in the slug line with their items in a manner that offends and violates basic fundamental rules of ethics and morality by having a large piece of luggage in their possession.

I have this outlandish vision of the exchange when one of the moralists encounters one of the fallen with their enormous pile of foul accoutrements at the slug line. "Don't come near MY car with that big suitcase, you swine! Who do you think you're dealing with anyway? Do I look like an airport shuttle or what? Do I look like the type of person who would allow you to get away with this outrage? Not me, buster, you can just stand right there with that enormous steamer trunk. You're not going to forklift that behemoth into MY car that I paid for with MY hard-earned money! I don't care if we both have to stay here all day!"

Geez - you'd think they were coming near your cars with boxes of child pornography or a shipment of cocaine. Why the drama? If it will fit, just throw the damn thing in the back and get on your way. Life can be really simple it you let it be.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 3:12pm
quote:

quote:

quote:

The answer is right there in your post. I do not respect them because they aren't simply choosing not to carry large luggage - they are whining about being taken advantage of. It is this preposterous claim that they are being ill treated that rankles. It's the huffy blustering pomposity and righteous indignation that someone would have the unmitigated gall actually to position themselves in the slug line with their items in a manner that offends and violates basic fundamental rules of ethics and morality by having a large piece of luggage in their possession.

I have this outlandish vision of the exchange when one of the moralists encounters one of the fallen with their enormous pile of foul accoutrements at the slug line. "Don't come near MY car with that big suitcase, you swine! Who do you think you're dealing with anyway? Do I look like an airport shuttle or what? Do I look like the type of person who would allow you to get away with this outrage? Not me, buster, you can just stand right there with that enormous steamer trunk. You're not going to forklift that behemoth into MY car that I paid for with MY hard-earned money! I don't care if we both have to stay here all day!"

Geez - you'd think they were coming near your cars with boxes of child pornography or a shipment of cocaine. Why the drama? If it will fit, just throw the damn thing in the back and get on your way. Life can be really simple it you let it be.

I was going to say "wow, great voca" right until you started putting nasty words in the mouths of people you don't know. Sounds to me now that you are making it into drama, because your postings get longer and longer...

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 3:47pm
quote:

I was going to say "wow, great voca" right until you started putting nasty words in the mouths of people you don't know. Sounds to me now that you are making it into drama, because your postings get longer and longer...

Nah - I didn't put words into anybody's mouth at all. You might want to reread the post. I clearly stated that the monologue was an internal vision I considered to be outlandish. There is no drama in this for me whatsoever - only commedia.

Posted By: LiliWhyte
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:02pm
OK, quite enough said on this topic. Suffice it to say that there needs to be a lot more common sense and common courtesy practiced on both sides!!

Posted By: gj
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:24pm
Wow msniac2, you really must be the unluckies person in the world to have experienced all of that. I've been slugging and driving for over 20 years. Horner to Crystal City. I've never seen a slug with food or coffee. I've never seen a slug ask to be dropped off somewhere other than the usual spots. The tinted window thing sucks, but you know darn well that 99% of slugs would never dream of putting down a window or touching anything in the drivers car. The cell phone offender thing usually only occurs once or twice a year. But I do have to agree with you on the roller bags. I want to smack everyone I see with those awful things (I know they are not going to the airport because I see them in line every day with the roller bag). Anyway, not to discount your bad luck msniac2, but if you've really had that many bad experiences, you really must have some bad luck getting the wrong slugs.

gj

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 12:37am
gj

That was my take on this exactly. I mean, I read so many of these posts, and every time we see these long lists of gripes, it is always a "starting member" making these charges. I agree there is a chance it may be someone who has driven for many years and who finally feels the need to speak out. But you do have to wonder. If one has so many bad experiences one would consider whether the person would continue to drive.

I have never seen a slug do what so many drivers say slugs do, and I have been slugging six years now. I have seen brief cell phone use, to make sure a spouse of a kid is up for work or school. I have never seen a slug talk on a cell phone for even more than 5 minutes nevertheless the entire ride. I have never heard the bubble gum issue, not even once. I have never seen a slug put on makeup and I only saw one slug eat in a car and he was appropriately asked to stop by the driver. I have never seen a slug bring coffee into a vehicle although many drivers do so and sometimes the smell of the coffee is strong. However, the driver who does have the strong coffee is one of my favorite rides because he is very careful and gives me the option of where I want to be dropped off near the Metro.

On the luggage issue, I have seen it maybe once or twice. The slug usually asked the driver whether he wanted it in the back seat or the trunk. There are some slugs who use a roller even for small bags. Yet, these compress and the slugs put them on their laps for the ride. I don't like them either, you are going to work and not a vacation, but what exactly is the harm?

Mostly, what I see, each and every day, is drivers wanting to get to work, and slugs wanting to get to work, and no one really out of line. This morning, the driver was going up the busy road, and she had difficulty deciding whether she should be in the right lane or the left. She chose to stay in the middle, between both lanes. It was careless of her, and she laughed about it. No one was behind us (yes I looked as I was in the back seat) and she drove perfectly the rest of the way in. I am not going to call her out on the momentary lapse. She gave me a good ride in and I appreciate it.

If you want to nitpick about drivers or slugs you can find ample reasons. But in six years, I have only felt borderline unsafe in a vehicle once, and while there are things that I could complain about, I have never chosen to do so. No system is perfect but this is awefully good. This post reminded me of 122582 posts. The tip the driver guy or gal. It just doesn't represent most people's experiences.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 8:18am
quote:
Originally posted by LiliWhyte

OK, quite enough said on this topic. Suffice it to say that there needs to be a lot more common sense and common courtesy practiced on both sides!!

Heh, heh...Well said. [:D]

Posted By: kurty25
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 10:18am
I am new to slugging, as I just recently moved to the area. I prefer to drive, because I have a lot of stuff that I carry to and from work each day and I don't want to bother a driver with all of my stuff. Anyhow, I have a question about riders:

What's the etiquite on flatulence (farting for the cavemen)? It seems that I have a rider almost every 3 or 4 days that feels the need to "let one rip" in my car. [xx(] I usually get a sideways look from the Slug in the front seat, like they think it was me... I try to perform my flatulent duties when no one else is in the car with me... So, would it be rude of me to crack a joke about the smell? Just to lighten the mood, I mean.

Also, is it rude of me to converse with the Slugs? I read the "intro to Slugging" part, which said that it is the driver's option, but I get the feeling that these people do not particularly want to talk to me... I ride in my uniform, but not all Marines have the specific desire to eat your spleen at the drop of a hat.

A note to any Slugs that ride with me (white Plymouth Breeze with NC plates):
I'm actually a nice guy, don't be afraid to talk to me. I only kill the bad guys. [:D] Also, if your stomach can handle it, PLEASE hold the flatulence until after you exit my car.

Thank you,
Sgt D
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, US Navy

Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 10:44am
quote:
Originally posted by kurty25

I am new to slugging, as I just recently moved to the area. I prefer to drive, because I have a lot of stuff that I carry to and from work each day and I don't want to bother a driver with all of my stuff. Anyhow, I have a question about riders:

What's the etiquite on flatulence (farting for the cavemen)? It seems that I have a rider almost every 3 or 4 days that feels the need to "let one rip" in my car. [xx(] I usually get a sideways look from the Slug in the front seat, like they think it was me... I try to perform my flatulent duties when no one else is in the car with me... So, would it be rude of me to crack a joke about the smell? Just to lighten the mood, I mean.

Also, is it rude of me to converse with the Slugs? I read the "intro to Slugging" part, which said that it is the driver's option, but I get the feeling that these people do not particularly want to talk to me... I ride in my uniform, but not all Marines have the specific desire to eat your spleen at the drop of a hat.

A note to any Slugs that ride with me (white Plymouth Breeze with NC plates):
I'm actually a nice guy, don't be afraid to talk to me. I only kill the bad guys. [:D] Also, if your stomach can handle it, PLEASE hold the flatulence until after you exit my car.

Thank you,
Sgt D
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, US Navy

Love it! [:)]

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 3:14pm
Ok.. this is what I have experienced as a slug and driver:

Heavy perfume
Heavy body odor
Longer than necessary phone conversations- by slugs AND drivers-

Dear drivers, driving and chatting on your phone while carrying the lives of 2-3 strangers- not cool, sorry...

Make up application
Texting- again, by both driver and slug, again, same letter to driver.

Posted By: msniac2
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 8:35am
For the record I have been a slug rider/ driver for about 10 years now so slugging is not new to me. I believe the reason I have experienced so many issues is that there are a lot of people new to slugging who have not taken the time to do the research on the process.

This week I have had 2 cell phone violators in my car. One was a lady, however she spoke so low that it really did not bother me at all and I had a gentleman on his phone last night for more than 5 minutes. The front seat passenger and I were having a conversation about my vehicle and the guy in the back was returning calls. Honestly his calls did not bother me until he started getting louder. But honestly in both cases it did not warrant me getting huffy or reminding them of the rules.

Call Me Mr Slug
“On the luggage issue, I have seen it maybe once or twice. The slug usually asked the driver whether he wanted it in the back seat or the trunk. There are some slugs who use a roller even for small bags. Yet, these compress and the slugs put them on their laps for the ride. I don't like them either, you are going to work and not a vacation, but what exactly is the harm?”

The harm is in my case that the roller bags get grit or something on the wheels that “DAMAGE BEYOND REPAIR” leather seats. However if a slug is willing to place the bag in their lap, I have no issue with them riding with me.

Honestly, now that I have the rules on the seats as people enter the vehicle I have had fewer issues. People actually get a kick out of the stories and many of them know some of the offenders. I think it’s all about communication. I value the system and enjoy some of the people that I have had the pleasure of meeting during my 10 year stint as a driver/rider. I just feel like if your behavior distracts me as a driver, damages my vehicle then I have the right to speak up.

As a driver I feel that there are certain rules I should follow also, like I do not play music that could be offensive, I do not text while driving, I do not drive aggressively, my calls are VERY LIMITED and avoided if at all possible, during the off chance that I have to take a call I am using a hands free device. I do not eat or apply makeup…though I have been tempted to apply Chap Stick in the winter, but I try to do that prior to anyone entering the vehicle. I understand slugging is a privilege. And as a responsible driver I understand that other people’s lives are in my hands while I am at the wheel.

Slugging is a win/win – for everyone I am just asking for a little common courtesy.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net