Print Page | Close Window

Horner Road (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=449
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 2:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Horner Road (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)
Posted By: jbalducci
Subject: Horner Road (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn)
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2003 at 2:28pm
Horner Road mornings are out of control. Drivers are using the bus lane to call for riders. The pick-up point is backed up, riders are opting to ride in cars who are not in line. Riders get frustrated and walk the car line looking for their destination. Which leaves those few waiting in line also frustrated because they lost their ride. This location needs more organization and a little cooperation from the people who use it.

Replies:
Posted By: OkieinDC
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2003 at 1:21pm
I've been slugging/picking up slugs from Horner RD to Crystal City/Pentagon for over a year. I agree with you on some points. Everyday I see at least one vehicle trying to pick up slugs from the bus lane, or calling from the parking lot for slugs. [V] I don't think that practice is fair to the cars waiting in line, so I never ride with them. As far as walking the line, I don't think it is wrong for the person in the front of the line to walk the line of cars until they find a car that is headed their way. I do that several times to expedite the process.[:)]

Thanks

Posted By: Cas
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2003 at 8:15am
If people didn't walk the line, things get backed up even more and everyone waits unecessarily. What I have experienced is that the first person in line walks the line and calls out destinations back to the sluggers until he/she has found a car going his/her way. Then the next person in line does the same thing, and so on. This system works great. If someone doesn't care to walk the line, yes, he/she is going to lose a ride - they can't expect to stand there like a lump while someone else walks the line. If you stand waiting for the car to come within two inches of you - you lose - and rightfully so in my opinion.

Posted By: mol
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2003 at 8:24am
Walking the line makes everything MORE organized, not less. What makes everything not run as smoothly are people who stand there and make no attempt whatsoever to find out where the drivers are going. What in the world are these people waiting for? If I'm 3rd or 4th in line, and the people ahead of me are not going down the line, I'll go and call out the destination, but if I find my destination which may also be one of those "immovable objects'" destinations who won't walk the line, there is no way I will give the ride to the little princes and princesses.

Posted By: Monbe
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2003 at 8:33am
I don't have a problem with those who stand there and don't walk the line unless they start complaining about loosing a ride.

Posted By: jc9
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 1:21pm
I agree, picking up at Horner in the morning is a MESS. The sad thing is, there's usually enough people waiting to ride and enough cars waiting to pick up! I had my first experience witnessing a cheater in the morning yeaterday, (black mercedes plates "EVRE WMN" by the way) who "cheated", pulled up to the side of the slug line and picked up to Roslyn when we were next in line. The 2 she stole caused us to have to wait another few minutes for the 1 we needed! And why do the sluggers GO to cheating cars? I've found that the destinations these cheaters are going to usually have fair-players already waiting to pick up! Its really not saving the slugger any time!

Posted By: gg
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2003 at 10:32am
Slugs walking the line seems to make sense, but it quickly becomes confusing when there are a bunch of people walking back through the line and you have no idea if your destination driver is at the start of the line. That is, slugs walking the line only care about their own ride and won't call out the destination of cars that they've passed.

Overall, I think walking the line is wrong. Why isn't it done at other places, such as at the Pentagon where there is a multiple destination line of Potomac Mills and Horner Road? Yes, things could go faster if slugs "walked" the line of cars, but it would be confusing and prone to cheating, IMHO.

gg

Posted By: babitee69
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 9:56am
I agree with what everyone else is saying about Horner
Lot. Seems alot of disorganized confusion every morning.
Not to mention in the mass confusion people begin to cutt
from the back of the line. Which is very rude to the ones
who have been waiting patiently in the front ot the line.
You would think we could all act like grown adults not children
and start to have some respect for each other. Please can we
get alittle more organized in the slug-line. The commute would
go alot faster and easier with communication.

Thank you

Posted By: jbalducci
Date Posted: 05 May 2003 at 8:25am
Thank you. There is nothing more frustrating than people cutting from the back of the line to walk the row of cars looking for their own ride. I don't know what the answer is beyond having no respect for those waiting in line. Maybe we need two lines...we sure have enough room on both sides of the street. One side for Pent and the other CryCity and Ros. Simple solution, and works for me.
quote:
Originally posted by babitee69
[br]I agree with what everyone else is saying about Horner
Lot. Seems alot of disorganized confusion every morning.
Not to mention in the mass confusion people begin to cutt
from the back of the line. Which is very rude to the ones
who have been waiting patiently in the front ot the line.
You would think we could all act like grown adults not children
and start to have some respect for each other. Please can we
get alittle more organized in the slug-line. The commute would
go alot faster and easier with communication.

Thank you

Posted By: gg
Date Posted: 22 May 2003 at 8:39am
jbalducci,

I like your suggestion which I think is to form another car line on the other side of the island? However, the problem is that the other side is used by the buses. Although they only arrive every 20 minutes(?) or so, they would not allow it because the cars would get in their way. But I like the idea of forming another line because some people can be very inconsiderate and the match up of cars with slugs is inefficient -- any other thoughts [?]

gg

Posted By: Alexis Miller
Date Posted: 30 May 2003 at 12:50am
The slug lines are GREAT!!! [:D] I am new to slugging and I love the system but would like to see some changes to improve the morning pick-up for pentagon/rosslyn slug line. Most mornings when I arrive there is a long line of cars waiting to pick up and a long line of slugs waiting. I have waited 15+ minutes on several occasions to pick up riders just because things move so slow.
I applaude the pioneers who split the DC/VA lines but I think there is still work to be done in order to get the VA line moving faster. Walking the line does help things move faster as long as riders call out the destinations and as long as it is safe for the riders to walk among the cars.

I can reiterate some good suggestions I have read here but it will take a veteran slugger to implement successful change:
1. cars should pull all the way forward to the end of the island when they pick up and the slug line direction should form accordingly like at the pentagon.
2. If it is possible to work out the logistics of another location then splitting the VA into 2 lines would be helpful.
3. Maybe we could get signs posted after new location(s) are established, that would help everyone.

I think that each of us can be part of the problem or part of the solution. I don't arrive early enough to establish anything new but I would be willing to help work on the sign issue.[:)]

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 7:05am
Alexis,
All great suggestions. We've tried to get signs put up in the past but VDOT takes a real hands-off approach to supporting slugging (but gladly enjoys the benefits it brings). Arlington County and the Pentagon have been the greatest supporter and did put up some signs to help organize slugging.

Splitting the VA line again may be the way to go. The problem will be where to put the new line without creating a hazard. Horner is a huge lot so I can see where a third line would be beneficial.

Or, would splitting the line even be necessary if there wasn't cheaters? If so, it will take the slugging community to help enforce the rules and existing lines otherwise, creating a new line will only create problems.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 8:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]Alexis,
All great suggestions. We've tried to get signs put up in the past but VDOT takes a real hands-off approach to supporting slugging (but gladly enjoys the benefits it brings). Arlington County and the Pentagon have been the greatest supporter and did put up some signs to help organize slugging.

Splitting the VA line again may be the way to go. The problem will be where to put the new line without creating a hazard. Horner is a huge lot so I can see where a third line would be beneficial.

Or, would splitting the line even be necessary if there wasn't cheaters? If so, it will take the slugging community to help enforce the rules and existing lines otherwise, creating a new line will only create problems.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 9:18pm
The problems I have noticed at Horner Rd many times are people not being considerate of others. Today was a classic example, a lady ahead of me had already started walking the line, so I followed her and we both realized we were going to Crystal City. We reached the intersection where cars entered the lot, and due to safety reasons we chose to wait there until the cars moved up. After the cars moved up a dark haired male with his hair allslicked back jumped ahead of into a car that was going to Crystal City. I know he was aware he cut in front of us, because he turned around to us and indicated they needed one more. I think the only reason he acknowledged us then was because he needed one of us to enable the driver to take them to his destination. He was rude and none of the rules or extra lines will fix that problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]Alexis,

Posted By: cdatkins
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2003 at 12:51pm
Hey everyone...I am a newbie and this is my first post!

I love slugging and really am thankful for how much time and money it saves me each week.

I usually slug from Horner Road to Rosslyn (preferred) or Pentagon if no Rosslyn lines are available.

Anyway, this morning at Rosslyn the drivers were a little...ahem....out of control. I usually arrive around 7:30 so I park at the front of the north "tail" that goes back into the woods. The line for cars wasn't even that long, and three drivers asked me for a ride!

I really believe this is unfair to drivers that are waiting in line, and it makes the parking lot much more busy and potentially unsafe. Please, fellow riders, let's give rides to those drivers that are playing by the rules.

[:)]

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2003 at 12:53pm
TYPO: "this morning at Rosslyn" should read "this morning at Horner" [:)]

Posted By: godsvdu
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2003 at 2:49pm
Why can't people walk the line????? They wait 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes longer, to get a car. It makes the whole process of slugging useless. It's about saving time!!!! Take that walk and make life easier for ALL of us!!!!

SOUBI

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 9:36am
More out of control drivers at Horner this morning.

When pulling into the lot from Prince William Parkway, I usually take the right line because to bypass the waiting drivers.

Well, this morning someone was in the right lane stopping and soliciting slugs who were parking along the access road...so we had to stop every ten yards while they tried to take other people's slugs!

A little frustrating...I wish there was someway to combat drivers who don't respect the system.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net