Print Page | Close Window

14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4878
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 5:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions
Posted By: Admin
Subject: 14th Steet Changes Feedback/Suggestions
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:54am
Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 15th and NY street.

Replies:
Posted By: NO44
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:59am
I'mm confused, didn't they just move it to 15th and NY last night?
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 14th and H street.

Nic

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:13am
Oops. Typo... in hurry.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:17am
It didn't really impact me except it seems like a lot of extra driving... added maybe 5 minutes to my trip. I feel badly for the slugs though bcuz they don't have shelter and a lot of people walk from Chinatown over there so it is a longer walk. Why don't we just put a slug line on 9th street? (she said hopefully)

:)

quote:

Oops. Typo... in hurry.

Nic

Posted By: Salty
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 10:38am
Slugs in line used to be able to stand below the building to escape the rain. It doesnt seem like we will be able to escape the weather at the new location. [:(]

Im also concerned with being further away from the bus stop on 15th. I dont know if I can see my bus take the turn onto H from the new line. If I can see it, do I have enough time to bail out of line and make the long walk down New York to catch it.

Drivers dont drive everyday and slugs dont slug everyday. How long will DDOT be present at the old location to educate drivers of the new location?

Did DDOT consider sinage at the new location so slugs can line up at a point and drivers would know where to pick up from?

Why are the lines not spread apart more at the new location? Cars would be able to pull into and out of the pick up lane more easily if we were spread apart more. There is plenty of room to spread out the lines along 15th Street.

Posted By: sallie.worth
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:47am
quote:

Please provide feedback and/or suggestions on the changes to the 14th and NY slug line being moved to 15th and NY street.

per DDOT:
From: Cleckley, Eulois (DDOT) [mailto:eulois.cleckley@dc.gov]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:41 AM
To: xxxxx
Subject: RE: Hey what kind of reports did you get back yesterday

DDOT said I would prefer that they email so we can document the correspondence.

Eulois eulois.cleckley@dc.gov

Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:34 AM
To: Cleckley, Eulois (DDOT)
Subject: RE: Hey what kind of reports did you get back yesterday

http://www.slug-lines.com

It just lists your phone number 202-671-0682. I wanted to post it on the message board.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:49am
This just in from DDOT

Post this:

Feel free to email Eulois.cleckley@dc.gov for concerns or questions regarding the new slug line location at 15th st between New York Ave and H st.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:50pm
As a driver, it isn't too terrible, but it is annoying because I come from chinatow down I street and cannot make a left at 15th as it is one way so I am forced to go down Vermont, back track and trun right on 15th which is always a long line of cars (iI guess its just like that horrid turn from I onto 14th where pedestrians will cross at the last second so only 1 or 2 cars can turn. I am okay with it, although I am thinking of exercising 2 options. 1. Go down NY and turn up 15th and bust a U turn ot 2. Go pick up and the 14th and D location instead (provided they don't move it).

I feel sorry for the slugs that don't have shelter now. Why didn't they think to try this in the summer months during the tourist season? Perhaps they can do it during those months, since shelter is not really an issue and that is when 14th street is most congested.

Also can they spread out the lines some? It's easier to get to the slugs that way.

In all it adds about 5-10 minutes onto the trip, when all I really want to do is get home to my dogs.

I think this is a good idea for summer months only.

Nic

Posted By: ernie
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:57pm
Bobs rides scarce yesterday. I think the Bobs slug line will probably dry up and go away or they will start one somewhere else. Too many problems.

When I went out there there were 2 cop cars parked right where the slug lines are on 15th, doubt any drivers would want to pull in between them.

I can't think of anything good that will become of this, it closer to my office but a useless place for a slug line, only 2 lanes, one way streets, drivers can't get to it, secret service and cops everywhere, no shelter, no bus line, and all the drivers will end up back on 14th anyway after they clog up the side streets.......

DC cab drivers stopping wherever they please cause more issues on 14th street than a slug line does.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 3:03pm
And it's really the busses that clog everything up becasue they have to wait if they are early to stay on schedule.

DC cab drivers stopping wherever they please cause more issues on 14th street than a slug line does.

Nic

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 5:28pm
The planter boxes along 15th have a low iron fence around them. They are just high enough that a car door can swing into it.

Posted By: VAFLYERS
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:57am
This move is a disaster!!!! DDOT can't improve anything, the line should have stayed where it was and they should not have tried to fix what wasn't broke, but if the line had to be moved a better choice would have either been on New York Ave. right around the corner from where it was or at the corner of 15th and Penn next to Treasury, then you wouldn't have people making U-turns on 15th st to go south (like they were yesterday). DDOT and the SAM people could direct drivers where to go for riders.

If DDOT are serious about moving all the slug lines from 14th ST then maybe PRTC should also consider adjusting the bus route to use 15th ST.

Posted By: popsx2
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:51pm
What is the consensus so far about the move to 15th Street between H and NY Ave? Is that still the meeting point or has this already been deemed a failure?

Posted By: Woodbridge55
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
This is not working. The first day they stood there and told the cars to keep moving or they would ticket them. Not really Slug friendly. Drivers say they are thinking about going to pick up down 14th St. due to the hassle driving down I to Vermont and back on H. May DDOT should relook at this location. If the U.S.Postal driver on break and people using AT&T did not part on 14th street the back up would not be as bad. I never see a DC police officer moving those vehicles along.

RJ

Posted By: keelhauld
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:23pm
quote:

I said this before and I never saw a reply so I'll put it out again, instead of moving over to 15th what about taking the slug line around the corner off of 14th and on to New York? That gets the standing cars off of 14th (DDOT happy) it keeps the same route and approach for the drivers, at least until the turn onto H, so they don't have to take the scenic tour of DC (drivers happy) and it keeps the slug line close to the bus (slugs happy)! There is even a pickup/drop off/parking lane on New York and if the District is really serious about “helping” then they might actually consider an afternoon parking restriction in this area to facilitate ridesharing.
The cynical side of me says D.C. is not really serious about helping, however, my more reasonable side says that they did meet with us before they moved the lines and maybe they would be willing to listen to the suggestion. Any takers?

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 8:19am

Then go down to 15th since you cannot make a left onto 14th? Im for it, 15th is much faster!

quote:
Originally posted by keelhauld

quote:

I said this before and I never saw a reply so I'll put it out again, instead of moving over to 15th what about taking the slug line around the corner off of 14th and on to New York? That gets the standing cars off of 14th (DDOT happy) it keeps the same route and approach for the drivers, at least until the turn onto H, so they don't have to take the scenic tour of DC (drivers happy) and it keeps the slug line close to the bus (slugs happy)! There is even a pickup/drop off/parking lane on New York and if the District is really serious about “helping” then they might actually consider and afternoon parking restriction in this area to facilitate ridesharing.
The cynical side of me says D.C. is not really serious about helping, however, my more reasonable side says that they did meet with us before they moved the lines and maybe they would be willing to listen to the suggestion. Any takers?

Nic

Posted By: loreelei
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:28am
Is there any reason why we can just move back to 14th Street? As of today there is even less space for us to stand on 15th because of the bike racks. What is the issue with this city and us sluggers?

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:32am
Comments CC'd to me:

I appreciate the chance to comment on the move. Please note my
observations, and I would appreciate it if this was put on the slug web
site.

-- The 14th Street lines worked. They were convenient and efficient, so
don't mess with it. I understand the move occurred to help move traffic on
an emergency evacuation route. Then why not leave things the way they were,
but have the option of enforcing a no-slug policy only when there is an
emergency situation. Why ruin it all the time for a potentially rare
occurrence?

-- Cars stopping for 5 seconds to pick up slugs are not the problem.
Busses, taxis, and tourists cause more disruption. Also, cars in the
intersections causing gridlock are a bigger problem.

-- The 15th Street location makes no sense for several reasons. The fact
that it is a one-way street (northbound) north of H Street makes it very
inconvenient for drivers heading southbound on 14th Street to pick up riders
there. Also, 15th Street is 2 lanes and 14th is 3 lanes, so it will be more
of a bottleneck. The new location also does not provide an overhang for
slugs to escape bad weather.

-- I have heard of people waiting a very long time for rides on 15th street
that never came.

-- Why not make a slug pick up point on 14th and I near the Metro stop?
Turn the corner into a transportation hub. Then if rides don't come the
slug can take Metro.

-- Why not have more slug lines on 14th Street from Thomas Circle to
Independence to spread it out?

-- Please let us know ASAP when this experiment fails so we can go back to
14th and H.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
quote:

THIS MAKES SENSE TO ME! HOPE YOU SHARED THIS WITH eulois.cleckley@dc.gov HE WANTS TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE ON THIS!

I said this before and I never saw a reply so I'll put it out again, instead of moving over to 15th what about taking the slug line around the corner off of 14th and on to New York? That gets the standing cars off of 14th (DDOT happy) it keeps the same route and approach for the drivers, at least until the turn onto H, so they don't have to take the scenic tour of DC (drivers happy) and it keeps the slug line close to the bus (slugs happy)! There is even a pickup/drop off/parking lane on New York and if the District is really serious about “helping” then they might actually consider an afternoon parking restriction in this area to facilitate ridesharing.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 10:36am
quote:
Originally posted by Woodbridge55

This is not working.

PLEASE CONTACT eulois.cleckley@dc.gov HE WANTS TO HEAR FROM US...DRIVERS AND SLUGGERS

RJ

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 12:22pm
quote:

Comments CC'd to me:

I appreciate the chance to comment on the move. Please note my
observations, and I would appreciate it if this was put on the slug web
site.

Independence to spread it out?

-- Please let us know ASAP when this experiment fails so we can go back to
14th and H.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is not an experiment, it is a mandate from DDOT. They know they have us over a barrel, ticket the drivers and the line will move. I suppose they think they are being nice by “asking” us for our opinion on where to move the line. It is very apparent they have no intention of letting us keep that line there on 14th if 15th doesn’t work. They will simply start writing tickets if we try to move it back. Solution? It may be to just grin and bear it. Slugging is an outside the box commuting option, I have faith a better solution will present itself.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 4:55pm
Sorry if I am posting too much but I have spoken with Mr. Cleckly on several occasions now and I was under the impression that this move to 15th was not permanent. However, when I offered alternative suggestions he did not seem very open to any. I have been a slugger for well over a decade and this is the worst treatment I have experienced to date. I will be writting formal complaint letters to DC government and to my representative to complain about this move as I have not seen any of the 14th & Penn slug lines moved (outside of construction). The District just does not seem to want us around and I can't for the life of me figure out how "traffic congestion" will be eased if we all start driving instead of slugging.

Posted By: VAFLYERS
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:58pm
DDOT much like the other areas of the District "Government" does not have a clue on how to run much of anything. The slug lines need to be made permanent on 14th ST and if Congressinal pressue is required (both Frank Wolf (R) & Gerry Connolly (D) are up for re-election and need our votes) then phone calls should be made and letters should be written. We need to take back our country and quit being pushed around.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:00pm
Ok how long is DDOT going to wait to see this is not working [V][V]. The Metro bus drivers using 15th street are now the ones getting mad. With only two lanes something has to give. I rode the bus a few days last week and saw several of the old 14th street drivers picking up farther down 14th street. Can't blame them. Any rebels out there wanting to start our own slug line on 14th above I street??

RJ

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 8:34am
Please let me know when you do, I pick up potmac mills, sometimes horner

quote:
Originally posted by Woodbridge55

Ok how long is DDOT going to wait to see this is not working [V][V]. The Metro bus drivers using 15th street are now the ones getting mad. With only two lanes something has to give. I rode the bus a few days last week and saw several of the old 14th street drivers picking up farther down 14th street. Can't blame them. Any rebels out there wanting to start our own slug line on 14th above I street??

RJ

Nic

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 5:20pm
What should we do now that the lines are disappearing on 15th & H? Drivers are not picking up and the bus line on 14th & NY is getting longer everyday ( causing more traffic delay). Should we just give up on that location and slug from 14th& Penn? Start a new line? This is just a mess and it is horrible getting home now! Any ideas?

Posted By: snlfam
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 2:46pm
I received the following email from DDOT. I don't know if it was sent to specific individuals (I doubt it), but I thought that anyone who is on this post might see if they can attend (ESPECIALLY DRIVERS)[;)]. Again, fairly short notice, but I hope that if enough people show up, DDOT will decide to take us seriously and quit making hasty uninformed decisions.

As you are aware, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has embarked on an effort to identify appropriate locations for slugging activity to occur. Recently, DDOT has tested a new slugging location as well as administered a survey to collect data and solicit feedback from sluggers. DDOT plans to release the results of the survey and the test location and discuss the proposed new slugging locations on October 26th at noon (12:00pm). The meeting will be held at the Reeves Center, 2000 14th Street NW, 20009, 6th Floor, OAS Conference Room. This meeting will be open for sluggers to attend and learn more about the proposed changes and provide input. Seating is limited, so RSVPs are required for those wanting to attend. Please email eulois.cleckley@dc.gov to RSVP.

Regards-

Eulois E. Cleckley
Manager, Motor Carrier Division
Transportation Policy & Planning Administration
District Department of Transportation
Office (202) 671-0682
Cell (202)423-6782
Fax (202) 671-0617
Email: eulois.cleckley@dc.gov

www.ddot.dc.gov

Serving with Integrity and Excellence

d.

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to it are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:55am
Just as the previous posting stated, DDOT is looking for some 14th and NY slugs to participate in a meeting next Tuesday, October 26th at noon (12:00pm). The meeting will be held at the Reeves Center, 2000 14th Street NW, 20009, 6th Floor, OAS Conference Room.

This is your chance to meet with DDOT officials and provide input!!

As per the information, you will need to RSVP.

Here is the invitation again:
All-
As you are aware, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has embarked on an effort to identify appropriate locations for slugging activity to occur. Recently, DDOT has tested a new slugging location as well as administered a survey to collect data and solicit feedback from sluggers. DDOT plans to release the results of the survey and the test location and discuss the proposed new slugging locations on October 26th at noon (12:00pm). The meeting will be held at the Reeves Center, 2000 14th Street NW, 20009, 6th Floor, OAS Conference Room. This meeting will be open for sluggers to attend and learn more about the proposed changes and provide input. Seating is limited, so RSVPs are required for those wanting to attend. Please email eulois.cleckley@dc.gov to RSVP.

Posted By: lilmissyny
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 1:09pm
I think it is a good idea to move the line around the corner on New York Ave. At least you'd still have the option to take the bus.

Also, just adding my 2 cents as others have said that the slug lines really aren't the problem on 14th. The busses stop in the middle of the block to load passengers, which slows everything down. In my experience, people picking up slugs are generally very fast.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 2:11pm
Received an update about the meeting. It will now be held in the Cromwell Room, 2nd floor, Reeves Center, 2000 14th St NW, Washington DC 20009. Same building, different floor, different room.

Posted By: KMH
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 10:08pm
Any consideration to make the pickup on New York between 13th and 14th just passed H Street. There is a church there and lots of homeless are already in their park, why not some slugs on the street. Plus NY Ave traffic is very scarce?

hello

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:00pm
NY between 13 & 14 won't work that great as you can not turn left on to 14th st. Best would be between 14 & 15th if that has to be a choice. However, talking with some drivers they will still continue to pick up farther down 14th st. Getting a ride is getting very harder and fewer cars are showing up.

You are right about the bus problem. The PRTC drivers can not wait for 45 sec for someone to get in the car and move on. They have to cut of the car off and leave the rear end of the bus out in the middle lane. DDOT never addressed that issue. Additionally the cars parking to go into AT&T or the mail truck that parks there. They just blame it on "the slugs."

I will be taking time off from work tomorrow to be at the meeting!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 3:58pm
Interesting meeting today, at least DDOT listened. A move onto New York Ave between 14th & 15th would work if they move the Commerce Bldg lines around the corner onto Penn near the White House visitor center. This will allow the PRTC buses to travel down 15th Street with two pick up points. One at 15th and NY and the other on Penn near the White House Center. Then they could get back onto 14th Street and continue down to the last stop on 14th. This would mean that the other DaleCity/Lake Ridge bus riders and sluggers on 14th St. would have to go to one of the two new locations. This would also cause slug drivers to pick up at the two locations off 14th St and still allow the vehicles to get back onto 14th St. This would prevent slug drivers and D and L PRTC busses from stopping on 14th St. DDOT would have to post the pick up points for busses and slug use from 3 - 6:30 PM. The NX-1 and NX-2 could use the same route too.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:33pm
quote:

This is your chance to meet with DDOT officials and provide input!!

I'm a slacker and was not able to make the meeting today. Very interested in the results however.....[8]

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:35am
Outcome of DDOT Meeting with Slugs - Slugs were well represented yesterday at the DDOT meeting yesterday with approximately 30-40 in attendance. From where I sat in the room, this was a great example of DDOT, VDOT, PRTC and Slugs working together to find a common solution.

The meeting itself started out with a lot of emotion from Slugs seeking answers to why the slug line was moved in the first place. Eulois, the DDOT official in charge of relocating the slug line, took everybody's input (as best he could) and explained the reasons behind the move. Admin note - I will try to scan the briefing slides and post them to the website as soon as possible.

The good news is that DDOT has taken the feedback from slugs and is planning to relocate the 15th and H St (old 14th and New York) to the area on New York Ave, between 14th and 15th. This change should make a huge difference and accommodate the needs of both slugs and drivers.

What is interesting is that DDOT is planning to change the parking meters along the area where slugging will occur to make it easier for slugs and drivers. In other words, they are willing to lose some revenue from the meters to help slugging. In addition, they are going to put up signage to clear designate the area (similiar to how the Pentagon has done it).

Although DDOT has agreed to relocate the line, they did not give an exact date. More to follow....

Posted By: rpoirier
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 7:57am
Next week I'll need to start picking up slugs along 14th st. Where are they currently standing in the interim until DC figures this out? I usually pick up on 19th in the afternoon and have only used the 14th street once or twice a long time ago. Please direct me to the right location :)

Posted By: tashaj
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:12am
I am going back to 14th street. Very few cars are picking up on 15th street and I've heard that people have started to go back to 14th and are being picked up. 15th street DOES NOT WORK.

Posted By: joelrutstein
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 1:52pm
I hope those briefing slides are posted soon. From nbcwashington's video report of the meeting - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Upset_Sluggers_Not_Ready_to_Move_Washington_DC-105820578.html -
it looks like all the lines on 14th Street will be moved in the next couple of months.

It was nice of DC I suppose to hold one meeting to discuss the problems with the one move and agree to a possible fix, but I'm sure all the other moves will also prove problematic.

The person interviewed presumably from DC who spoke of backups causing police to issue tickets I don't think is telling the truth. I know one driver who was ticketed where I wait at 14th and Constitution when there was no backup. I think this is a case where DC decided to act first, and now they're reluctant to just forget about the whole thing.

I've been slugging home from the same location at about the same time (4:15) for 20 years. Maybe there are backups later in the evening, but there aren't when I'm there. To the extent there are any additional delays lately, it's because they started allowing cars to park on 14th street until 4pm.

From the snippet of the video linked above it looks like I'll have to line up at 15th and Madison. I hope this works, but I have doubts it will.

The right solution would be for DC to forget they ever started this.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:23pm
quote:

Outcome of DDOT Meeting with Slugs - Slugs were well represented

I take back all the bad things I said about DDOT....provided they follow through.[8D]

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:27pm
that's a BIG if

quote:

quote:

Outcome of DDOT Meeting with Slugs - Slugs were well represented

I take back all the bad things I said about DDOT....provided they follow through.[8D]

Nic

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:03pm
How bad is the sun going to beat down on us at this location? Think about the summer months when it is 95 degrees outside.

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:24am
I attended the meeting at the Reeves Center and specifically spoke about the Bob's/RV line that meets on 14th & Constitution. I stated to the DCDOT rep that line does not cause traffic to back up on 14th St. The other riders and drivers agreed with me.

DCDOT is working with the Parks Authority to create a cut out curb lane for drivers to pull over. The only way this will work for drivers is if they take 15th, cross over Constitution and our line will be on the right. Drivers can then access 14th St from either Jefferson or Independence Ave. But for drivers who come via 14th St and turn right on Madison, the line will be on the opposite side of the street and they will have to hang a U turn to access it.

Riders & drivers for the Bob's/RV line on 14th & Constitution need to contact their congressional representatives now to lobby the District not to move the line from its current location. They also need to ask their congressional reps to work with the National Park Service to create a curbside cut out ramp at 14th & Constitution. There is enough land to put it there.

Posted By: rpoirier
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:47am
Just got finished reading the meeting notes from the forum with DDOT. Was MPD even there? They are the one's that need to be educated.

Posted By: jayrt234
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:12pm
If it is so important to move the 14th street slug lines, has anyone thought about moving it to G St. between 13th and 14th street. This would allow for the drivers to jump onto 14th street heading South after picking up slugs. Of course, DDOT would have to allow for Left hand turns onto 14th street from this spot.

If that will not work, try New York Ave, between 13th and 14th Street.

The 15th Street stops does not work for anyone. It adds more time for the drivers, who find it difficult to maneuver around the block from 14th to 15th Street.

Good Luck,

Posted By: c_quintarelli
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:41am
It's important to try to force VA government to get involved on our behalf.

Go to http://www.contactingthecongress.org to find out who your senators and representatives are. From there email links are provided making it very easy to write a letter requesting their help. If you don't want to craft your own letter just lift some comments from this topic. I have written my rep and both senators but one or two letters are not enough to create a buzz.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 10:00am
I was told via email from Mr. Cleckly yesterday around 2 PM the slug line was not and has not been moved from 14th street.

??????

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 3:16pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

I was told via email from Mr. Cleckly yesterday around 2 PM the slug line was not and has not been moved from 14th street.

??????

Which 14th street location are you referring to? As of yesterday, the 14th and NY location is still not there (I haven't checked to see if the 15th and NY moved location is working at all).

Does anyone know what is happening at DC dept. of Transportation right now? Their last meeting materials stated that the date for "finalizing locations" is "Early-mid November". Maybe we should encourage them to hold off until after the new year to avoid the holiday vacationers.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 1:59pm
Ok, now I am totally confused. I was told word-of-mouth the evening 14TH and NY slug line to 610's was supposed to move to 15th street, this was last Thursday.

I sent an email to this Mr. Cleckly on Monday afternoon, he told me the slug was has not and was not moving.

So, whats the deal?

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 2:09pm
I received in an email fro DDOT on Saturday with a PDF attached entitled "District Slugging Plan: An Analysis of Slugging Activity for Recommending Curbside Locations in Washington, D.C.". This 12 page report summarized much of what they discussed at the last meeting and laid out the proposed new pick-up locations. The bottom line (as I read it) was ALL 14th ST PICK-UP LOCATIONS ARE BEING MOVED. The report sets the date for relocation of lines as "January 2011" but they do not give a specific date.

My first response was a mix of anger, frustration, and rebellion. However, after reading the entire report, I feel DDOT has at least made an effort of coming up with a plausible solution. What I don't know is how it would work in practice. My personal biggest concern is that the new 15th and New York location will have a lot more riders than drivers and the next location for pick-up is not until the Mall.

(Admin: Are you able to post the report on the web site so everyone can read it?)

It appears that we as a community of sluggers now need to decide whether to accept the changes as proposed, or to come up with an alternative solution. At this point I am willing to swallow my pride if that is what the rest us decide will work.

Is anyone good friends with the new mayor of DC?[:D]

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 5:03am
Here is the message sent from DDOT:

All-

As promised, the final slugging report is attached. I would like to thank everyone for their input in determining how the District addresses slugging. The many comments helped identify a comprehensive system and the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is committed to supporting slugging. The following adjustments were made:

· The total number of curbside pickup locations were reduced from 9 to 8.

· There will be more stops on 15th street instead of 14th street, but continuity with the slug line destinations will remain intact

· There was concern pertaining to the relocation of the 14th street and Constitution Avenue location to 15th and Madison. Since a network approach was taken to address the location changes, the current 14th/Constitution location could not be preserved. 15th street is the main slugging corridor, therefore, maintaining connectivity with other slug line destinations along the corridor is the main reason for the change.

· The District will work together to communicate the changes well in advance. The anticipated implementation date will be sometime in Mid-January (see page last page of document). DDOT will communicate the changes through multiple sources to ensure that all users are aware of the pending changes.

Read DDOT Final Report: http://www.slug-lines.com/downloads/DDOT_Report.pdf - http://www.slug-lines.com/downloads/DDOT_Report.pdf

Posted By: joelrutstein
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 1:50pm
"Since a network approach was taken to address the location changes, the current 14th/Constitution location could not be preserved. 15th street is the main slugging corridor, therefore, maintaining connectivity with other slug line destinations along the corridor is the main reason for the change."

This really doesn't make any sense, unless the argument is that it would be unfair to allow slugs to continue to use 14th Street at Constitution while all other 14th Street slugs were being moved to 15th Street. And even that would be an extremely weak argument. Slugs forced to move might be jealous if others could remain on 14th Street, but then again they might admire DC's implicit admission that there was no good reason for targeting that location. I still think in the absence of credible evidence that there was no good reason for targeting any of the existing locations.

There is no rationale to using "a network approach," and "maintaining connectivity" only makes sense if drivers pick up from more than one location during a single trip home, which I don't think is a common practice.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 7:10am
After the 14th and New York location was moved to 15th what was stopping drivers from picking up riders further down 14th? The answer is knowledge. All you needed to know was where is the location at that you can pick up from. If you were a driver would you make all these crazy turns to pick up slugs on 15th or would you just keep driving down 14th? It is only a matter of time, maybe a few months, before the driver figures out they can save 5 minutes by picking up further down 14th street.

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
No matter what the report states, the intention of DDOT from the beginning was to move ALL slugging pick-up locations off of 14th street. I do feel for those who have to walk the extra 2 blocks to get to the replacement stop for the commerce building (I will probably switch to the 15th and NY stop now). For drivers, I hope this detour may end up being quicker than dealing with traffic on 14th.

In the end, the only way DDOT can move the slug lines is if the slugging community buys in... I just hope that it doesn't come down to police officers ticketing every driver that stops to pick up slugs at the old locations.

Posted By: ssk1974
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 4:05pm
Yesterday around 5.20 P.M I did not find any riders for Potomac Mills, on 15th street, in front of Bank of America, where I normally used to pick up the past couple months. Did it move to any other place, or was it just a bad day?

Posted By: pwc94
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 12:18pm
Forgive me if this was mentioned and I missed it, but if I understand this right, the bus stops are not moving? If that's the case, the only one benefitting from these moves is PRTC. Many people take whatever comes first, and often can't afford to wait and take a chance on getting a ride. So more people will be riding the bus, many of which are already overcrowded.

DDOT needs to investigate the buses before messing with the slug system. Since so many of them lately are sitting, for whatever reason, for more than 5 minutes (at least they do at 14th & D) after picking up riders, waiting 20 seconds for a car to load up and pull off isn't going to disrupt their schedule, so there's absolutely no need for them to be stopping in the middle lane or pulling half into the curb lane and blocking both lanes.

On top of that, the no parking zone during rush hour apparently only applies to cars, because trucks are always sitting in the curb lane across from the Reagan Building, and the police don't do anything about them. Cars that stop for half a minute is a huge issue, but large trucks parked for an hour or more...no big deal.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:36am
The following was just sent out by PRTC. Ineresting with regard to the whole 14th and NY slug lines change.

**** Please FORWARD responses to OMNI@OMNIRIDE.COM. DO NOT “reply” to this e-mail address; it is used only by our automated alert systems and is not monitored for responses. **** ==================================================================================================================================================================================

As of mid-January all PM OmniRide buses that serve the State Department will be re-routed away from 14th Street, where extreme traffic congestion makes adherence to our published schedules unreliable. Starting in mid-January, afternoon and evening buses instead will be routed along 15th Street. Schedule brochures will NOT be reprinted at this time; however, the affected schedules and maps at PRTCtransit.org will be revised.

These PM routes are affected:

Dale City – Washington OmniRide (Dale City OmniRide trips that currently start at 14th and New York will instead start at H and Madison)
Lake Ridge – Washington OmniRide
Manassas OmniRide (including the AM reverse trips)
Route 1 OmniRide

Two PM bus stops will no longer be served:

14th and New York
14th and F

Alternate PM bus stops are:

Commerce Department
A new bus stop that will be added at 15th and New York.

Something new for passengers on Dale City – Washington and Lake Ridge – Washington buses:

During PM peak service hours (approximately 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.) buses on these two routes will run every 10 minutes, and on Modified Holidays the peak service will run every 20 minutes. Because the buses will have frequent headways, they will NOT be obligated to wait at the timepoint at the Commerce Department bus stop. Online schedules will be revised to reflect this change and it will be reflected in the Spring 2011 printed schedules.

Although it may take a little while to get used to these changes, PRTC is sure that they will benefit our passengers in the long run. Avoiding the intersection of 14th and H will greatly improve our service reliability, allowing everyone to get home a little more quickly and with less stress!

Posted By: Elizabeth
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:08pm
Yesterday I went to the 15th Street location to pick riders up at about 4:45pm. I usually go to Horner Road but no one was in that line so I moved down to the Hechinger line - only one person in line. I put my hazards on to wait for another rider. Maybe one minute later a police car is behind me flashing his lights telling me to move. I thought that one reason behind moving the 14th Street line to 15th Street was so that the cars could wait for riders. I had to do the big circle back around 14th, Vermont, H and back to 15th Street. By the time I arrived back to where the lines form, three cars were waiting for riders - no riders for any location. What gives? Can we wait for riders and where are all the riders these days?

Posted By: luv2slugg
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:21pm
quote:

Drivers have mentioned that it's difficult to get to the new location especially with H St. being one-way in the opposite direction, leaving them to weave their way around I and 16th Sts. Many now just continue on 14th to the Commerce Building. I have walked to Commerce -- the rides are plentiful!

ForeverrSlugggerr

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by luv2slugg

quote:

Drivers have mentioned that it's difficult to get to the new location especially with H St. being one-way in the opposite direction, leaving them to weave their way around I and 16th Sts. Many now just continue on 14th to the Commerce Building. I have walked to Commerce -- the rides are plentiful!

ForeverrSlugggerr

The rides have been plentiful... but where are the riders? Slim pick'ns these days.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 11:39am
Where do I pick slugs up today? On New York or on 13th?

Posted By: laurenmb
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 10:12am
I have to say, quite frankly I am sick of PRTC rolling over and DDOT pushing us around. I think the move to 15th street sucks. Anytime there is ANYTHING at the White House we are all screwed.

Outside of DDOT claiming that the traffic is the reason for the move, does anyone know of any other "problems" that may have generated the interest in shuffling us around? I would be interested in having PRTC conduct a report after the buses move to 15th to asses the impact and go the the city/our Reps to intervene.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 10:28am
DDOT Announces Delay in 14th Street Changes - As of January 5th, per a DDOT communication, the planned DDOT location changes in the District (14th Street) will be postponed until further notice. It is anticipated that changes will take place by Spring. Any changes will be publicized by DDOT. More information will be provided as it become available.

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 1:19pm
I just saw the proposed changes and I think that a number of these changes will make the system worse than it already is, specifically moving 14th & Independence to 13th & C. This stop is at least a five minute walk from the closest Omniride bus stop so an either/or approach would not work for this stop. Not only that, it is not in a very driver convenient area. There are many times when C Street (which is only two blocks long) is backed up and it can take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes just to get through the light. Not a good suggested change in my opinion.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 3:07pm
After speaking with the DDOT representatives who have been assigned this slugging project, they informed me that there is a statute(?) in DC that states that during rush hours, drivers on primary commuting routes (ex. 14th street) are not allowed to impede traffic (ex. stopping to pick up passengers).

I inquired about the details on this statute (exemptions for buses, taxis, etc.), but they were unclear with the details. Does anyone know which law/statute/ordinance they are reffering to?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net