Print Page | Close Window

Worst slug story in history

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4928
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Worst slug story in history
Posted By: tmcc
Subject: Worst slug story in history
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:12am
Hi folks, I'll try to keep this short as this story could get out of control.

Heading from Tackett's Mill to Crystal City, I hopped into the back seat of a newer grey/sliver Mercedes 4Matic with an older man about 60. From the get go I got a bad vibe that he was not a friendly guy so I stayed quiet in the back. Early into the drive he scolded the passenger, and man about 40 for adjusting the seat. WTF but whatever. He was driving a bit fast, and as I was playing sudoku on my phone the car swerved around a Prius doing probably the speed limit. I looked at the speedometer and the driver was going 95mph. I said "Seriously, 95mph". The man got beligerent and told me he would let me off on the side of the highway. The passenger in the front was peeved at this point and threatened to call the cops. We squabbled a bit more then got quiet for the rest of the ride. When we approached the Pentagon exit the passenger (good guy) asked where I would be let out and I said "As soon as possible".

The driver stopped at Eads and Army Navy, the first spot. I got out and said "Have a nice day" albeit ironically. The passenger got out, but left his door open. He stepped to the front of the car, pulled out his phone and began taking pictures. The driver, enraged at this, STOMPED ON THE GAS AND RAN THE F*#%ING GUY DOWN. Like a dog. He bounced off the hood and fell on the ground hard. His stuff was everywhere. The phone was broken. The hood ornament had been ripped off. The dude's head was under the bumper. He was seriously F'ed up. In broad frigging daylight in front of dozens of people.

Long story short I called the paramedics, rendered aid to the poor gentleman the best I could while the driver stood there dumbstruck at what he had just done. I'm not sure what happened to the victim. Not sure what happened to the driver. Police took my statement and said they will call me if they need me.

People, chill the f--- out. Life is not that serious. Two people's lives are now irreparably damaged due to road rage. We're just trying to get to work.

Replies:
Posted By: Bodybykids
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:22am
OMG. How incredibly horrible. My prayers to this man. People, let's not ruin a good thing.

Posted By: mdog
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 12:19pm
Well, looks like both parties got much more than what they've asked for...

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 12:48pm
If this incident did, in fact, happen, I think both the driver and the other passenger were dicks.

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:44pm
Sounds credible, but wouldn't this have made the local news?

Goober

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:49pm
I've checked WTOP and haven't found anything. If anyone has found info please share.

Posted By: slug123456789
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 3:25pm
Have you ever noticed this driver/car before? It would be nice to know if they are a regular at that lot. [:)]

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 3:42pm
I've rode with him before. I don't think he'll be picking anyone up for a little while.

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 12:10pm
I've always said that old people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

When senility starts to set in and your minds starts to go, driving is the last thing that should be on your mind.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:14pm
This is very disturbing - so sorry to hear this happened to you and your fellow passenger, but I hope that he will be OK.

If you have ANY other information or updates about this, please be sure to share it with us. I think we'd all be very interested to know what has happened to the driver and other passenger since this incident.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:15am
Here's a blotter:

ATTEMPT MALICIOUS WOUNDING-ARREST 10/25/10, 1100 block of S. Eads Street. On October 25 at 8:50 am, two occupants of a vehicle argued. When the passenger attempted to take a picture of the vehicle, the driver struck him with the car. Gene McKinney, 59, of Manassas, was charged with Attempted Malicious Wounding. He was held without bond.

http://www.arlnow.com/2010/10/28/crime-report-grand-theft-auto-edition-2/

Google his name and connect the dots........

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:23am
I googled and wow, I guess it explains lack of media coverage.

Posted By: NO44
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 11:05am
I just heard about this! OMG

quote:
Originally posted by mdog

I googled and wow, I guess it explains lack of media coverage.

Nic

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 1:02pm
^

Check out his resume:
http://binary-consulting.com/g_mckinney.php

quote:
On his Bio page
Following his Army career, Mr. McKinney was a successful lecturer and motivational speaker for self-empowerment and improvement for varying groups including youth programs and government personnel.

I can imagine his inspiring speeches including phrases like "having the DRIVE to succeed" and "using the tools and strengths you have available to you to help you overcome or push things out of the way should they impede your desired goal..."

EDIT:
I assume his wife won't be bailing him out either:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n18_v93/ai_21250108/

Times to beat:

Posted By: Oosik
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 8:32am
If this is indeed the former Sergeant Major of the Army, it's suprising that the local press hasn't picked up on this.

Posted By: lauramay
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 2:27pm
that some crazy stuff... i think the system prides itself on the lack of crime incidents. i know this dude is one of very few, but may have scared some future sluggers or slugees from joinging us. shame. i hope this guy gets what's coming to him... ESPECIALLY with his history. what a creep.

Posted By: Pentagon1
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:57am
Are we sure this is the same Gene McKinney, former SGM of the Army? If so, I would think the press would be all over it.

But regardless, what a wacko to do something like that.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 5:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by lauramay

that some crazy stuff... i think the system prides itself on the lack of crime incidents. i know this dude is one of very few, but may have scared some future sluggers or slugees from joinging us. shame. i hope this guy gets what's coming to him... ESPECIALLY with his history. what a creep.

He won't... Justice is given to those that can afford it. He's got money. I forsee a slap on the wrist and some anger management classes at the most.

quote:
Originally posted by Pentagon1

Are we sure this is the same Gene McKinney, former SGM of the Army? If so, I would think the press would be all over it.

But regardless, what a wacko to do something like that.

His bio page says "On administrative leave"...

Same name and on leave due to a misconduct investigation seem to be too many coincidences...

OP, can you confirm the pic on the bio page?

Times to beat:

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Pentagon1

Hardly - the local press is afraid to touch stuff like this. May be in 2 years...

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:11am
It is 100% the same guy.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 11:33am
Here's a news link:

http://www.arlnow.com/2010/11/01/man-arrested-in-arlington-was-former-top-army-soldier/

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:11pm
WTOP is reporting...

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2101220

Posted By: SAKinser
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:13pm
I had a driver that accelerated to over 100 mph on 95 while conversing with his wife who was applying her makeup. I tightened my seat belt and prepared for impact while wishing the law would pull the guy over. I was a new slug and not sure what to do. We made it to the Pentagon without incident. I did kiss the ground when I stepped out of the car.

I heard from other slugs that the person was notorius for fast driving and crashed his car several weeks later and no longer picked up slugs.

SA Kinser

Posted By: NO44
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 3:16pm
I drive fast, but I don't ever go over 80 out of respect for my passengers.

Does anyone know whatever became of the guy who was injured?

quote:
Originally posted by SAKinser

I had a driver that accelerated to over 100 mph on 95 while conversing with his wife who was applying her makeup. I tightened my seat belt and prepared for impact while wishing the law would pull the guy over. I was a new slug and not sure what to do. We made it to the Pentagon without incident. I did kiss the ground when I stepped out of the car.

I heard from other slugs that the person was notorius for fast driving and crashed his car several weeks later and no longer picked up slugs.

SA Kinser

Nic

Posted By: kkenney
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:41pm
TMCC

I'm an assignment editor with WUSA TV We'd like to talk to you about this incident in Crystal City Drop me an email at klkenney1@yahoo.com with a contact number and we'll get in touch

kevin kenney

Posted By: Redtopper2
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 7:43pm
From what you stated it doesn't sound like attempted malicious wounding. How about attempted murder?? Crazy world. Amazing he got off in 1998 on the sexual harassemnet charges, six different women alleged on 18 counts of harassment. And he gets convicted of the one charge of obstruction of justice. Agree.. you got money and influence you can get off most charges.

Posted By: leasetwo
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:25pm
TMCC

How was his driving on your first ride with this guy? Did he say anything then?

Posted By: Jim Hall
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:47pm
TMCC - where did you serve?

Posted By: bmobile2
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:25am
The shocker of who the driver was can be found @ http://www.arlnow.com/2010/11/01/man-arrested-in-arlington-was-former-top-army-soldier

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:46am
http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2010/nov/02/commuter-hurt-slug-feud-ar-623851/ - http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2010/nov/02/commuter-hurt-slug-feud-ar-623851/

Posted By: aesthetic
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:17pm
I just read about this and have now read up on this McKinney guy. Geez, what a basket case. Maybe he's the one who has been shooting at the Pentagon, Marine Museum, Marine recruiting center and Coast Guard recruiting center?

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by aesthetic

[size=2][b][font=Verdana]Maybe he's the one who has been shooting at the Pentagon, Marine Museum, Marine recruiting center and Coast Guard recruiting center

Not funny.

Posted By: luvnslgn
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:53pm
quote:

I just read about this and have now read up on this McKinney guy. Geez, what a basket case. Maybe he's the one who has been shooting at the Pentagon, Marine Museum, Marine recruiting center and Coast Guard recruiting center?

That is completely irresponsible.

Posted By: RetiredMarine
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:40pm
quote:

While this guy is a poor driver. I don't think what you said is called for.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:13pm
“The two passengers felt the driver was driving erratically and in excessive speed, and had mentioned that to the driver several times." "When the passengers exited the vehicle, one of them attempted to take a picture of the car and the license plate to report it to the police department.” Copied from News Reports

Are you kidding me? TMCC description of the trip could not rightfully be described as erratic. Fast in HOV is normal.

What fool hitching a ride for the HOV lane would think police would welcome fast driving reports?

If driver discharged slug on side of vehicle, what fool would step out in FRONT of vehicle to take picture?

Something stinks with this blog story.

Posted By: keelhauld
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by kkenney

TMCC

I'm an assignment editor with WUSA TV We'd like to talk to you about this incident in Crystal City Drop me an email at klkenney1@yahoo.com with a contact number and we'll get in touch

kevin kenney

Hey there ink slinger, jonny on the spot there aren't you? I can't imagine why you would be interested in this story nobody is dead or seriously maimed. I mean the guy was never even taken to the hospital…at least according to one of your star reporter buddies. Jesus, why don’t you slackers stop focusing on which 5 star crapper the frigging Salahis managed to sneak into and actually report on some news that truly affects people’s lives? Sorry folks they just annoy the bejesus out of me!

Posted By: keelhauld
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by luvnslgn

quote:

That is completely irresponsible.

Gentlemen,
I don’t care what position this meathead held in my U.S. Army he’s a fruit loop and a nut job and he deserves every ounce of public rebuke he gets for what he did the other day and for that matter for his past indiscretions while still on active duty. Aesthetic’s comment may be in poor taste but McKinney is a real dirt bag and he deserves everything he gets. Hell, the military court system couldn’t fix him what makes you think the civilians are going to take care of the problem. Maybe a relentless campaign of embarrassment might actually do some good.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:53am
quote:
Originally posted by leasetwo

What fool hitching a ride for the HOV lane would think police would welcome fast driving reports?

If driver discharged slug on side of vehicle, what fool would step out in FRONT of vehicle to take picture?

That seems to be what actually happened. While the driver is responsible for his actions, it must be recognized that the so-called victim brought his problems on himself. What manner of arrogance led him to attempt to detain the driver by placing himself in front of a running automobile? Who the heck did he think he was and what made him think he had the right to detain anyone? The driver would have no way of knowing the guy's intentions - extortion, internet defaming, whatever. I don't think he should have been struck by the vehicle but he certainly deserved at least a punch in the nose and his phone smashed. I have no sympathy for the fellow. I think the original poster, tmcc, handled himself correctly by exiting the vehicle and walking away.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:00am
quote:
Originally posted by keelhauld
Gentlemen,
I don’t care what position this meathead held in my U.S. Army he’s a fruit loop and a nut job and he deserves every ounce of public rebuke he gets for what he did the other day and for that matter for his past indiscretions while still on active duty. Aesthetic’s comment may be in poor taste but McKinney is a real dirt bag and he deserves everything he gets. Hell, the military court system couldn’t fix him what makes you think the civilians are going to take care of the problem. Maybe a relentless campaign of embarrassment might actually do some good.

It is precisely this attitude that leads me to believe that the driver was somewhat justified, albeit way overboard, in reacting to the actions of the fellow who attempted to detain him. You may think that a campaign of anonymous internet harassment is an effective way of taking McKinney to task for his bad behavior but anyone engaging in that type of vigilantism should expect that their target might react somehow, maybe even in an entirely different manner. Not everyone is an anonymous coward.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:10am
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

While the driver is responsible for his actions, it must be recognized that the so-called victim brought his problems on himself. What manner of arrogance led him to attempt to detain the driver by placing himself in front of a running automobile? Who the heck did he think he was and what made him think he had the right to detain anyone?

Hey, wait a minute here! I have not heard or read that the slug was attempting to detain the driver. Yes, according to the original post he left the passenger door open so the driver could not move while he took the picture, but from everything I had read all he wanted to do was get a picture of the car/license plate and do something with that pic - whatever that plan was. Although I can't say getting in front of the car was a good idea but I think the slug was trying to make a point to the driver that what he - the driver - had done was wrong and the slug was going to do somthing about it by taking a picture. Regardless, I feel very sorry for the slug who got hit and anyone here bashing him should be ashamed! The driver of the car obviously has problems and should not be allowed to drive for a very long time; the slug now knows next time to not be in front of a car when taking a picture and the other passenger who was involved probably wishes to have stayed home that day!

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:26am
quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

quote:

quote:

While the driver is responsible for his actions, it must be recognized that the so-called victim brought his problems on himself. What manner of arrogance led him to attempt to detain the driver by placing himself in front of a running automobile? Who the heck did he think he was and what made him think he had the right to detain anyone?

Hey, wait a minute here! I have not heard or read that the slug was attempting to detain the driver. Yes, according to the original post he left the passenger door open so the driver could not move while he took the picture, but from everything I had read all he wanted to do was get a picture of the car/license plate and do something with that pic - whatever that plan was. Although I can't say getting in front of the car was a good idea but I think the slug was trying to make a point to the driver that what he - the driver - had done was wrong and the slug was going to do somthing about it by taking a picture. Regardless, I feel very sorry for the slug who got hit and anyone here bashing him should be ashamed! The driver of the car obviously has problems and should not be allowed to drive for a very long time; the slug now knows next time to not be in front of a car when taking a picture and the other passenger who was involved probably wishes to have stayed home that day!

He left the door open and stepped in front of the vehicle - two deliberate actions designed to prevent the driver from moving his vehicle until the slug released him to go. Some people don't take too kindly to being detained in this manner. The driver clearly had a volatile personality as evidenced by his earlier behavior, barking at the passengers and driving erratically. It was arrogant and foolhardy for the slug to think that he could get away with physically preventing the lunatic from roaring off. What the heck did he think the driver was going to do? I would have expected some kind of physical response. The slug's problem is that he left his Superman outfit home that day - or he should have at least stayed on the curb while he snapped his picture and maybe flipped the driver off as he pulled away.

Posted By: milspouse
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:06am
It takes a lot of courage to stand up for the guy who deliberately drove his car into someone, and to criticize the person who was injured. I'm sure your friends appreciate knowing you're willing to kick people when they're down.

quote:

quote:

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:23am
quote:
Originally posted by milspouse

It takes a lot of courage to stand up for the guy who deliberately drove his car into someone, and to criticize the person who was injured. I'm sure your friends appreciate knowing you're willing to kick people when they're down.

Learn how to read, you imbecile. I did not stick up for McKinney - I said he should be held responsible for his misdeeds. I did not criticize the person who was injured either - I criticized his lack of judgement in jumping in front of a vehicle manned by an individual he already knew to be volatile and erratic. It was a stupid thing to do and he paid the price for his reckless act. You know nothing about me or my friends and your claim that I kick people when they are down is untrue, unfounded, uncalled for, and just plain childish. What rock did you crawl out from under?

Posted By: AngloAustrian
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:25am
1. The story was in the Washington Post yesterday.
2. The lesson is... get out of the car and get away as fast as possible when you are with someone who is driving or behaving erratically and then post a blog to warn others. I can't believe the slug who got hit thought it was sensible to stand IN FRONT of the car and upset an angry driver even more. You can quite easily take a picture of a car from the sidewalk if you think it necessary. Tempers were heated and the end result of two erractic tempers is what happened - sheer stupidity and I am sure both regret it now. We sluggers (ones who are at the mercy of the driver if the driver is behaving like a loon) have to take the high road here. If you cannot do that, then don't slug. The aim is to stay alive (and get to work!), and antagonizing each other even more doesn't achieve those goals. Even when I am in a car where the driver is going too fast, or texting (thank God, doesn't happen too often - my biggest gripe is tailgating), I still have to think that they drove this way yesterday and still made it in one piece. I have to think my chances of getting to work in one piece today are pretty good, and I just won't ride with that person again. So far, it's worked fine.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:42am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by milspouse

Learn how to read, you imbecile. I did not stick up for McKinney - I said he should be held responsible for his misdeeds. I did not criticize the person who was injured either - I criticized his lack of judgement in jumping in front of a vehicle manned by an individual he already knew to be volatile and erratic. It was a stupid thing to do and he paid the price for his reckless act. You know nothing about me or my friends and your claim that I kick people when they are down is untrue, unfounded, uncalled for, and just plain childish. What rock did you crawl out from under?

Are you in military yourself?

Posted By: marchf
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:29pm
McKinney has a troubled past. He was the Command Sergeant Major of the Army and was accused of sexual assaults and court-martialed. He was acquitted of the main allegations, but convicted of obstruction of justice as he attempted some shenanigans involving making up an alibi. They were lenient with him and busted him one rank, but because he had held the position of Command Sergeant Major of the Army, the law then did not anticipate such a person could be court-martialed and the law mandated he be paid at the retired rate for that rank for life. Based on McKinney, the law was revised, but does not apply retroactively.

McKinney's picture was in the paper yesterday. I warn you all that he has an identical twin brother who was also a Command Sergeant Major and his brother does not have the same troubled past. This is probably an anger control issue.

In all the years of slugging, I believe this is the worst incident I have seen. I believe we have a good track record with our slugging procedures and this incident is an outlying exception to the overwhelming majority of good trips. For the most part, folks with good cars going to good jobs do not want to mess up their good deal. In this case, McKinney will lose his job and he will likely go to jail.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:47pm

I think the original poster, tmcc, handled himself correctly by exiting the vehicle and walking away.

I don’t think I would give TMCC the same KUDOs.

The entire event and activities seem to be based on his word alone. His description is flip-it and inconsistent. Driving fast and passing one Prius in that long trip in the HOV lane is not erratic driving especially in the described vehicle. If he were playing a game on his phone, looking down by the time he served around the “Prius”, it would be unidentifiable. Whats wrong with overtaking a slower vehicle?

Requesting the slug not violate the rules of making adjustments to your vehicle is not “scolding” the slug. It’s enforcing control of your own vehicle.

TMCC said he got “a bad vibe that he was not a friendly guy so I stayed quiet in the back.” Yet in a later post he said he rode with this driver before. Notice he started his blog by saying “Hi folks, I'll try to keep this short as this story could get out of control.” Hhhhuummmmmm Why did he ride again if not comfortable with him?

Experienced slugs know the rules, know drivers drive fast in the HOV lane and should not get upset when they have a perky driver.

I did not read anything in TMCC’s post to warrant pictures or a report to any authority. Again, what fool would step in front of a driver trying to reenter traffic to take a picture of license plate? The one on the rear is just as visible.

Posted By: polly bedwetter
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:14pm
I live in the are of where this man says he was picked up and I've heard of people harassing drivers on the way to work. They are making false claims in regards to the drivers in hopes of a law suit. These must be the guys. I don't know if it's safe to pick people up anymore if riders are going to start scams like this. This is supposed to be a safe way to commute, but people like this are making it scary. And why did this passenger just so happen to have a camera on him? Hhhhmmm. Sounds like a scam to me.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:09am
quote:
Originally posted by polly bedwetter

I live in the are of where this man says he was picked up and I've heard of people harassing drivers on the way to work. They are making false claims in regards to the drivers in hopes of a law suit. These must be the guys. I don't know if it's safe to pick people up anymore if riders are going to start scams like this. This is supposed to be a safe way to commute, but people like this are making it scary. And why did this passenger just so happen to have a camera on him? Hhhhmmm. Sounds like a scam to me.

Can we say, camera phone. Not exactly a conspiracy theory.

Oh, and too the person who says the driver is enforcing ownership of his own car by not allowing the passenger to adjust the seat. Please. I have gotten into cars where the seat back is almost laying down. I am most certanly going to adjust that so I can sit up like a normal person and I will not ask permission. If the driver has a problem with it, I can pick another car. Also, I am very tall with long legs and if I need to move the seat back, I will or I will again, pick another car. So take that! For anything else, I will ask the driver first before I do it.

Posted By: AngloAustrian
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:48am
To Polly? What!!!! Yes, cameraPHONE - your phone probably has a camera too. Scammer. And, what harrassment of the driver are you talking about? Asking him to slow down?! And, drivers, if you can't handle people adjusting car seats, and don't want to follow the rules of the road, don't want to drive without texting, then don't pick up slugs. The last time I checked, car seats are designed to be adjusted without any detriment to the vehicle. Goodness. What next? Get in the car without touching the door? OMG -you might get fingerprints on the car!! If you don't want people in your car, and the normal wear and tear that comes from that, then DON'T SLUG.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:02am
Polly, that is the dumbest sh%t I have heard in this thread, and it had devolved into lunacy long ago.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:06am
In most cases it's not the fact of adjusting the seat itself, but doing it w/o first asking the driver if it's ok to do it - that's the issue. I - as a driver, - may not want you to touch controls for many reasons.

I have an example when once a back seat rider in my bimmer decided to adjust the headrest. I'm not sure if he wasn't used to fine German engineering :) or goes to gym too often and likes to show off, but he pulled it with such force that it detached from the seat and he ended up hiting the headliner hard with his fists, scaring the sh..t out of everyone as we thought we've been rear-ended.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:11am
quote:
Originally posted by mdog

In most cases it's not the fact of adjusting the seat itself, but doing it w/o first asking the driver if it's ok to do it - that's the issue. I - as a driver, - may not want you to touch controls for many reasons.

I have an example when once a back seat rider in my bimmer decided to adjust the headrest. I'm not sure if he wasn't used to fine German engineering :) or goes to gym too often and likes to show off, but he pulled it with such force that it detached from the seat and he ended up hiting the headliner hard with his fists, scaring the sh..t out of everyone as we thought we've been rear-ended.

Oh, no. The dreaded head-rest! OMG![:0] Get over yourself. The headrest, next to a seatbelt, is the most important thing to have set. Maybe your "fine" cars head-rest got stuck because it was just so well made!! He had to put extra strength in it to get it to lift. And really, you're going to prevent a passenger from protecting themself in case of an accident? What about the seat-belt. Should we ask your permission before we buckle in? I mean, it's only the LAW!!!!!! But hey. Get sued- have fun with that.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:23am
TMCC You are the dump one, aren't you a witness? If so, why are you telling the world. You sound are a piece of S--- to me.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:31am
The original slug said driver was driving fast NOT erratic. If McKinney told passenger in front seat to quit playing with control knobs, where is the beef? What’s wrong with that? Backseat slug said this was a scolding. You don’t become a leader by being a wimp or doormat. Is he supposed to let a stranger damage his vehicle? Its obvious backseat slug took issue with his conversation with front seat slug.Javascript:insertsmilie('[|)]')

I cannot believe a slug (backseat) would be so callous that they would play games on a phone and not pay early attention to a driver’s initial safety skills. He then looks up from his game and become upset about the driver speed. Don’t believe it. I have ridden with slow drivers who scared me out of my skin and fast drivers with whom I had complete confidence. Most drivers are going to respond it you tell them they are driving fast. To characterize the response as “belligerent” is a matter of opinion.

Since slug was discharged on the curb, slug had to place HIMSELF in front of the vehicle since no evidence was presented to indicate the driver chased the slug.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:46am
wow, I guess quite a few Army folks feel the need to defend one of theirs...

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:52am
quote:
Originally posted by tmcc

... this thread ... had devolved into lunacy long ago.

Yeah, but you sort of knew that it would, didn't you? [:D]

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 12:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by tmcc

Polly, that is the dumbest sh%t I have heard in this thread, and it had devolved into lunacy long ago.

You left lots of holes in your story, why not close the gaps?

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 12:16pm
Wow, this thread has gotten completely out of control. Am I the only one feeling disgusted at some of the responses here?

tmcc is a fellow slug who experienced a situation extremely out of the ordinary. Therefore, he/she posted his/her version of the story on this website, which just so happens to be dedicated to slugging.

I, for one, follow this website (especially the message boards) because I like to keep myself informed of all things related to my commute when slugging - and that includes bad drivers or potentially dangerous situations. I appreciate that others take the time to give the rest of us a head's up when these things happen, because hey, it might actually affect me.

For some of the posters here to say nasty things about the original poster, or to place blame on the victim (who ABSOLUTELY did NOT deserve to be run over - I don't care what your argument is - it's ILLEGAL and precisely why the driver was ARRESTED!!!!) is completely unfair and in my opinion, says something about your character. While I don't agree with many of the thing said here, that is something YOU have to live with.

I believe the majority of the members here are just trying to get back and forth to work and don't want to hurt anyone. For whatever reason, something went terribly wrong the morning this happened. Luckily, most of us haven't and won't experience anything like this - but I certainly don't think anyone who wasn't involved should judge those who were.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by shorty5646

Wow, this thread has gotten completely out of control. Am I the only one feeling disgusted at some of the responses here?

tmcc is a fellow slug who experienced a situation extremely out of the ordinary. Therefore, he/she posted his/her version of the story on this website, which just so happens to be dedicated to slugging.

I, for one, follow this website (especially the message boards) because I like to keep myself informed of all things related to my commute when slugging - and that includes bad drivers or potentially dangerous situations. I appreciate that others take the time to give the rest of us a head's up when these things happen, because hey, it might actually affect me.

For some of the posters here to say nasty things about the original poster, or to place blame on the victim (who ABSOLUTELY did NOT deserve to be run over - I don't care what your argument is - it's ILLEGAL and precisely why the driver was ARRESTED!!!!) is completely unfair and in my opinion, says something about your character. While I don't agree with many of the thing said here, that is something YOU have to live with.

I believe the majority of the members here are just trying to get back and forth to work and don't want to hurt anyone. For whatever reason, something went terribly wrong the morning this happened. Luckily, most of us haven't and won't experience anything like this - but I certainly don't think anyone who wasn't involved should judge those who were.

You appear to have made assumptions that original poster comments are true. We only know from police reports that a car driven by the arrested driver hurt a commuter.

We only know a version of the event as presented by TMCC. We don’t know if his version is fact or fiction. He can explain the loose ends or let us present our analysis of what we heard or read.

What does he mean when he say driver swerved around a Prius going about the speed limit? He is riding in a fast smooth powerful vehicle and only got concerned when it passed a Prius. Two drifferent classes of vehicles on same lane. But, prior to the swerve he was not concerned enough to look up from his phone game. Get real.

What is the meaning of belligerent? I did not get it in his description of a response from driver.

Some are only looking at this from slug point of view. Us DRIVERS are also concerned with being accused such as this. I have read nothing to warrant pictures or any report to any official prior to the accident. If slug got out on side, why was he in front when driver obviously had to look left and back to reenter traffic. There is a big old tag on rear of every vehicle.

Remember recently when a woman accused someone of throwing acid in her face. Upset me to no ends. Turned out the woman threw the acid into her own face. Be careful about accepting allegations as the full truth.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:26pm
quote:

If slug got out on side, why was he in front when driver obviously had to look left and back to reenter traffic. There is a big old tag on rear of every vehicle.

Remember recently when a woman accused someone of throwing acid in her face. Upset me to no ends. Turned out the woman threw the acid into her own face. Be careful about accepting allegations as the full truth.

Have you even read the original post? If you had you would know why the slug was in front of the car. And it's not like the driver had his head turned away when he hit the guy. The passenger door was open for heaven sake, where was he going to drive off to? Frankly, I cannot understand why people are not letting go of the fact that the man was in front of the car. It doesn't really matter. I think it was bad judgement on the slugs part but, hello, hindsight. The driver of the car hit the man on purpose and that was totally wrong. He (the driver) is going to get his day in court and the outcome will likely be posted on the internet. The injured party will also be in court that day to testify (at least he should be) and his side of the story will come out along with the 2nd slugs testimony.

This is all about common courtesy and the age old golden rule: treat others as you wish to be treated (may not be quoted exactly right but you get the point). Slugs and drivers should not treat each other like dirt but with respect. We are all professionals here, right? I would think most of us have been around long enough to have matured past the "playground" way of thinking.

Oh, completely forgot about the acid in the face. Let's not start something new. Liars exist, we know this so let's not take that one example of falseness into this discussion of a true event. Thank you.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:50pm
quote:

If slug got out on side, why was he in front when driver obviously had to look left and back to reenter traffic. There is a big old tag on rear of every vehicle.

Have you even read the original post? If you had you would know why the slug was in front of the car. And it's not like the driver had his head turned away when he hit the guy. The passenger door was open for heaven sake, where was he going to drive off to? Frankly, I cannot understand why people are not letting go of the fact that the man was in front of the car. It doesn't really matter. I think it was bad judgement on the slugs part but, hello, hindsight. The driver of the car hit the man on purpose and that was totally wrong. He (the driver) is going to get his day in court and the outcome will likely be posted on the internet. The injured party will also be in court that day to testify (at least he should be) and his side of the story will come out along with the 2nd slugs testimony.

This is all about common courtesy and the age old golden rule: treat others as you wish to be treated (may not be quoted exactly right but you get the point). Slugs and drivers should not treat each other like dirt but with respect. We are all professionals here, right? I would think most of us have been around long enough to have matured past the "playground" way of thinking.

Oh, completely forgot about the acid in the face. Let's not start something new. Liars exist, we know this so let's not take that one example of falseness into this discussion of a true event. Thank you.

You are a dump a-- as well, none of you were there and no one has heard the other side of the story.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:50pm
quote:
You appear to have made assumptions that original poster comments are true. We only know from police reports that a car driven by the arrested driver hurt a commuter.

We only know a version of the event as presented by TMCC. We don’t know if his version is fact or fiction. He can explain the loose ends or let us present our analysis of what we heard or read.

What does he mean when he say driver swerved around a Prius going about the speed limit? He is riding in a fast smooth powerful vehicle and only got concerned when it passed a Prius. Two drifferent classes of vehicles on same lane. But, prior to the swerve he was not concerned enough to look up from his phone game. Get real.

What is the meaning of belligerent? I did not get it in his description of a response from driver.

Some are only looking at this from slug point of view. Us DRIVERS are also concerned with being accused such as this. I have read nothing to warrant pictures or any report to any official prior to the accident. If slug got out on side, why was he in front when driver obviously had to look left and back to reenter traffic. There is a big old tag on rear of every vehicle.

As a driver, you are responsible for driving safely and responsibly - not just for your own safety or that of your slugs, but also for the safety of those who share the road with you.

If you follow the rules of the road, then you as a driver shouldn't really have anything to worry about. Of course, there may be exceptions to that, but I find it hard to believe any reasonable slug would accuse any reasonable driver of anything without just cause.

You have absolutely no direct involvement with this situation, nor do I. You read it on this website, or in the news, as we all did. Apparently, you relate to the driver here because you also driver. Besides that, I don't really understand your concern. You are afraid of being wrongly accused of running someone over? If this is something you are genuinely worried about, maybe you should reconsider picking up slugs.

According to tmcc and the police report, the front seat passenger exited the vehicle and stepped to the front to take a photograph - I assume he was doing so in order to report him to the police, but maybe he had other reasons. Perhaps stepping in front of the car wasn't the smartest thing to do. Regardless, the driver committed a crime by assaulting him with his vehicle. That's why police were called.

And the police clearly had reason to believe this driver did something wrong, because he was arrested and then held without bail.

My point is that NONE of us were there, so NONE of us know the details. Now I could be wrong, but I don't believe tmcc meant any harm in sharing this story. I can only imagine how horrible it must have been to witness those events and see a person become injured while simply trying to get to work, like the rest of us. You can sit there, interrogating the original poster about his/her version of what happened. That's your choice. I just hope the victim will be OK, and that everyone learns a lesson from this unfortunate incident.

I read somewhere that the driver has since been released and faces a preliminary hearing on Dec. 6th. Hopefully, we will learn more then, as I am very interested to see how this turns out.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:10pm
quote:

You are a dump a-- as well, none of you were there and no one has heard the other side of the story.

What other side? He ran the guy over with his car! What else do we need to know? Why did he run him over with his car? Well, he has some issues. Beyond that, the courts will decide.

Posted By: Marge Thompson
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 11:56am
It was all over the news, people don't pay attention.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net