Print Page | Close Window

Cheaters

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4998
Printed Date: 05 May 2024 at 9:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cheaters
Posted By: Flyby
Subject: Cheaters
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:12am
Anybody notice that btw 6 and 7am coming up 395 it seems like every third or fourth car is a single driver w/o hybrid tags? Every once in while I've seen some enforcement going on but none at the bottom of the entrance ramps to the HOV where they'd really catch a bunch. Why can't they have one trooper waving the parsites over and the other just taking pictures of their tags to mail out their tickets? That way they keep the flow going and maximize their efforts.

Flyby

Replies:
Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:46am
They need to ticket the actual driver, not the owner of the car. They need electronic ticket machines, like the parking people have. Swipe their license, hit a few buttons, send them on their way.

Posted By: NO44
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:51am
YES! WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THAT LAST NIGHT! I see it more at night when it is dark. it drives me nuts!

quote:
Originally posted by Flyby

Anybody notice that btw 6 and 7am coming up 395 it seems like every third or fourth car is a single driver w/o hybrid tags? Every once in while I've seen some enforcement going on but none at the bottom of the entrance ramps to the HOV where they'd really catch a bunch. Why can't they have one trooper waving the parsites over and the other just taking pictures of their tags to mail out their tickets? That way they keep the flow going and maximize their efforts.

Flyby

Nic

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:47am
That is because they have almost no enforcement. Although the whole program should be generating plenty of money the state has decided to let folks get a pass. Its shameful, hurts the entire program and really drives people crazy.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 8:13am
Does anyone have a contact in the VA State Troopers headquarters that may listen to our concerns? How about any caring member of the House of Delegates? I know I contacted Dave Albo once regarding concerns about hybrid cheaters and he blew me off. Anyone else out there who may lend an ear?

Flyby

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 3:01pm
I got the email below from Bud.Cox@vsp.virginia.gov was and the regional office was VSPDiv7@vsp.virginia.gov. As follow up to complaints. I have corresponded with Albo before, he has written State police at my request on this issue but it sure isn't going to change until the state police make it a real priority.

Dear Mr. :
Lieutenant Colonel E.A. Stockton, Director of the Bureau of Field Operations for the Virginia State Police has asked me to thank you for and respond to e-mail of October 5, 2010, regarding HOV violators and enforcement.

We certainly understand your concerns regarding those motorists who flagrantly violate the HOV lane restrictions.

It may interest you to know that during 2009, troopers issued 26,221 summonses for HOV violations. You may be assured that we will continue to address the problems you identified and ensure our available resources are effectively and efficiently utilized.

There are approximately 950 troopers who have patrol responsibility for 95 counties and nearly 65,000 miles of highway in the Commonwealth of Virginia. A manpower allocation study recently completed indicates that approximately 350 additional troopers are needed to provide the professional level of service expected of the Virginia State Police.

Please be assured we are using every resource we have available to effectively address these violations on our roads and enforce the other laws we are charged with enforcing.

I am also forwarding a copy of your e-mail to Captain T.S. Russillo our Division Commander in Fairfax for her information and attention to the problems you identified.

Thank you for your concern for highway safety.

Bud Cox
Business Manager
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
Bud.Cox@vsp.virginia.gov

Posted By: AngloAustrian
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 4:58pm
When this topic came up in another post a while back, I also wrote to Captain Rusillo, and got a similar pat response as above. I have to think that if they hierd and put police in the HOV lanes, they would more than pay for themselves by giving out just a couple of tickets a day - and there are plenty of violators, as we all know.

Posted By: gatewayslug
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:31pm
Every so often, when this topic comes up, invariably the comment comes up that the increased enforcement would pay for itself from the increase in collected fines. Maybe someone who has more spare time than I do can check this out, but it is my understanding from various newspaper articles, etc that by law the fines collected from HOV violators go to fund Virginia education, not to the VA State Police.

Posted By: CJ
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:35pm
While I find the cheaters annoying and think they are pond scum, everytime the troopers do serious enforcement, it backs up traffic for miles. Last time I remember them coming out in force, I ended up being late 30 minutes because everything was backed up in Springfield.

CJ

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
But if they would just do their enforcing at the top of the ramps in the am and pm then the morons that hit the brakes every time they even think they see a state trooper vehicle won't see them, hence no traffic tie-ups. Just takes a little bit of common sense.

Flyby

Posted By: slug123456789
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 7:37am
I agree with Flyby that the enforcement should be at the start of the HOV on-ramp whether that is at the commuter lot or a regular ramp. If they continue to stop cheaters in the HOV that will cause the back up. If they stop them before they even get on the HOV, that is when the real slugs benefit.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 8:58am
I'm pretty sure you can't ticket them until they are actually ON the HOV,after all they technically haven't committed a crime until then. Besides, if they did it before, the on ramp would just back up. Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but unless they do something like red light cameras (which is probably cost prohibitive), it's just one of those things rude people do that maybe they get caught at, maybe they don't.

CJ

Posted By: Spectrepilot
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm
I thought I heard something on the radio the other day about a way to report HOV violators. I know there is a new App on the Iphone for reporting bad drivers, but I think this was a different method. I searched around a bit, but can't find a website or anything. I think I heard it on WTOP and it was a way to text a license plate and location.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 5:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by Spectrepilot

I thought I heard something on the radio the other day about a way to report HOV violators. I know there is a new App on the Iphone for reporting bad drivers, but I think this was a different method. I searched around a bit, but can't find a website or anything. I think I heard it on WTOP and it was a way to text a license plate and location.

SP,
It wasn't about the DC area.

The report describes a program named HERO (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hov/hero.htm) where citizens can report HOV, HOT, and Ferry lane violators in the state of Washington.

See the last several paragraphs of this article: http://wtop.com/?sid=2202034&nid=25

The program seems to get some results.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:51am
Virginia had something called Project HERO years ago where people could call an 800-number to report HOV violators. The violators would receive a letter of admonition in the mail (actual ticketing was impossible, of course, because they'd be going entirely on hearsay). I recall the system being quite popular, but lack of funding led to its demise. I suppose that makes sense--having a phone-in system that doesn't actually carry any legal consequence isn't really the best use of tax money.

Posted By: Bodybykids
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

I'm pretty sure you can't ticket them until they are actually ON the HOV,after all they technically haven't committed a crime until then. Besides, if they did it before, the on ramp would just back up. Not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but unless they do something like red light cameras (which is probably cost prohibitive), it's just one of those things rude people do that maybe they get caught at, maybe they don't.

CJ

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:15pm
HOV on/off ramps are considered part of the HOV lanes during HOV hours. So as soon as you touch the ramp and are not compliant - you can be ticketed. Happened to me because I wasn't paying attention to what time it was and got on the ramp to get on HOV and was immediately pulled over.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 5:02am
@ Bodybykids: and did you have to back up or were you allowed to go on your way in the HOV with ticket in hand?

CJ

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 10:22am
LOL....trust me if I tried to back up they would have given me another ticket for creating a traffic hazard. I got on HOV, this was on 66 in Falls Church on the last exit before it opens up to include the regular lanes, so it was only 1- 2 miles before I hit the regular lanes. I did ask if I got pulled over again before I got to the regular lanes would I get another ticket.....he said no.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net