Print Page | Close Window

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5029
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 4:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking
Posted By: slugguru
Subject: Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:42am
Just saw this
Commuters who park at Potomac Mills may soon have to go elsewhere.

The mall's management has announced that the mall will be reducing the number of commuter parking spaces available in its parking lot from 1000 to 250.

The change will be effective Feb. 14.

Stay with insidenova.com and the News & Messenger for more on this story.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/13/potomac-mills-mall-reduce-commuter-parking-spaces-ar-772333/ - http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/13/potomac-mills-mall-reduce-commuter-parking-spaces-ar-772333/

Replies:
Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:45am
I just hear about this too. Here is another link to

http://potomaclocal.com/news/stafford/potomac-mills-to-reduce-commuter-parking/#more-2861

Woodbridge, Va. –– It won’t be a happy Valentine’s Day for some Woodbridge commuters.

Potomac Mills mall in Woodbridge on February 14th will decrease the number of commuter parking spaces on its lot by 75 percent, from 1,000 spaces to just 250.

Woodbridge District Supervisor Frank Principi made the announcement today, and said the loss of the spaces is unfortunate but added the mall is allowed to reduce the number of spaces as part of their special use permit with Prince William County.

Many Slugs (those who ride in cars of three or more occupants on Interstate 95’s High Occupancy Vehicle lanes) use the lot each morning.

Last fall, a mall spokeswoman said the mall had an agreement with Prince William to provide 275 spaces, but had been providing at least 975.

We are still waiting to hear back from Potomac Mills about this decision.

The next largest commuter lot available in the area is the Horner Road lot, off Prince William Parkway and Interstate 95. It’s the largest commuter lot in Virginia and each space in the lot is usually filled each weekday by 7 a.m. or shortly thereafter.

This latest commuter set back comes as a new slug line from Woodbridge to Alexandria failed to gain traction last fall.

Posted By: pwc94
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 12:14pm
I'd love to hear their reasoning for this. That lot does not fill up during the average weekday. This is going to impact ALL the nearby lots.

I'm curious though, if they have an agreement to provide 275 spaces, why are they being allowed to cut it to 250?

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:18pm
The only time the front of the mall is even full (where you have to drive up and down the aisles) is at Christmas time. So I have no clue where they are coming from that that statement. I also know that the area behind Costcos and across from Ikea is wide open almost all the time. I have never seen anyone park in that location, even during the Holidays. Why can't we move back there.

Posted By: UriahKiser
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:18pm
Hey, It's Uriah Kiser, Editor for PotomacLocal.com. We are working on g getting answers from officials, the mall and reaction from slugs that use the lot. Full disclosure: I am one of those slugs. Please keep checking back as the story develops.

Uriah Kiser

Posted By: Bodybykids
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:36pm
I don't slug from Potomac Mills but I agree with FedUp. Behind Costco, Across from IKEA and also where the furniture store is - these area's very rarely fill up and certainly not during the work-week hours. Why not move the parking to these area's?

If they reduce it to 250 spots - will PRTC also move the bus lines from there?

Do any of the commuters who park at Potomac Mills consider using the Lot off of the Occoquan/123 exit? I don't think this lot fills up and its not that far from Potomac Mills.

Just my 2 cents.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:53pm
There is no quick way to get to the 123 lot in the mornings. 95 North is almost always a parking lot south of Potomac Mills. This would then force commuters onto the local roads which are already filled to capacity with commuters, school buses and local business travel. The impact of closing off these spaces to the commuters is going to have a more far-reaching impact than anyone can even imagine.

What happened to the plan of building out Horner Road to encompass the space that was left when PRTC moved to its present location? Plans were on the drawing board to make this space a commuter parking lot, but how along ago was this!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

I don't slug from Potomac Mills but I agree with FedUp. Behind Costco, Across from IKEA and also where the furniture store is - these area's very rarely fill up and certainly not during the work-week hours. Why not move the parking to these area's?

Do any of the commuters who park at Potomac Mills consider using the Lot off of the Occoquan/123 exit? I don't think this lot fills up and its not that far from Potomac Mills.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted By: slug123456789
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm
This is soooo not a good thing. I cannot wait to here what the reason for this is. The other local lots cannot support this new influx of riders. I am really glad to know this is going on but we need to learn who is in charge and complain. They had better have one heck of a good reason - like the ground is going to cave in or something.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 3:37pm
From what I am reading, Potomac Mills wants to expand and add more stores/restaurants. They are being questioned about the availability of parking.......so eliminate commuter parking and what do you have......more parking spaces for shoppers..........

Weekends and evenings are the "primetime" for shoppers......so again why not move the commuter spaces to the rear of the mall?????

I personally try to avoid Potomac Mills as much as possible and adding more stores and restuarants is going to make me avoid it even more.

Posted By: UriahKiser
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:26pm
We've just posted the full statement from Potomac Mills mall to our story on PotomacLocal.com. We'd love to hear your comments about all of this so we can use them in our story. Please include your name and what lot you slug from, or if you drive, and send them to news@potomaclocal.com. Thanks!

Uriah Kiser

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:55pm
A news report at http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/13/potomac-mills-mall-reduce-commuter-parking-spaces-ar-772333/ says:
"County officials are also preparing a list of parking lots with available space, county spokesman Jason Grant said."

Appears that Mr. Grant may be your PW County POC for updates on actions being taken.

Posted By: siggy14
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:51am
I think someone needs to write a story how one of our biggest malls does not support being green. I can see this forcing a lot more people to start driving in if they cant get a spot which is bad for enviroment.

It is a shame that the mall puts money before the enviroment, I also think we should get a online petition going saying that if they go through with this plan that we plan on boycotting the mall.

Posted By: Salty
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:16am
What is the peak slugging time for Potomac Mills. Does it fill up by 7:00AM?

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:19am
Currently, it seems to fill by around 7:30am.

I used to park at the mall, but had to move over to Tackett's Mill when summer vacations ended and school started, due to the lack of parking.

Posted By: Haze
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:27am
I heard about this from my co-worker today and I hate it. Like some people said on here it doesn't fill up at all during the week. By the time we all get off work is really the only time folks start coming to that particular mall and it's usually for the movies.

I'm sorry if I am ranting, but I would love to know what restaurants they are proposing, because all of them that matter are out on Prince William Parkway anyway.

That mall is terrible and I hardly ever go in there, unless it's for last minute items or COSTCO. I understand they are trying to make it a better place to shop, but all around the mall are parking spaces. Just why can't they give us some spaces around on the other side.

Cars not carrying passengers use more fuel and roads less efficiently than shared cars or public transport, and increase traffic congestion. We're all trying to reduce a major factor when it comes to global warming by commuting and driving our cars less to not contribute to air pollution and save. However, we have to deal with this now!!

This just chaps my a*s!!

Posted By: Haze
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:31am
I agree with you Siggy completely, maybe we should boycott and get channel 5 down here.

Originally posted by siggy14
I think someone needs to write a story how one of our biggest malls does not support being green. I can see this forcing a lot more people to start driving in if they cant get a spot which is bad for enviroment.

It is a shame that the mall puts money before the enviroment, I also think we should get a online petition going saying that if they go through with this plan that we plan on boycotting the mall.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:59pm
No where to park.....means no sluggers for drivers to pick up..
I get dropped off at Potomac at least 2x per week because parking is filled at Horner and there is more traffic at Potomac. Whats gonna happen at Horner on Mondays & Fridays when parking is not usually filled up? I don't like to park at Tacketts(makes my to/from commute longer)....Tacketts may be the next spot to fill up???

The following lots in the Dale City area have significant space for more cars, PRTC officials said:
-I-95 at Va. 123
-Dale City Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Gemini Way
-Lindendale Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Quate Lane
-Kmart at Dale City -Dale Boulevard near Gideon
-Hillendale Commuter Lot -Hillendale Road near Dale Boulevard

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugguru

The following lots in the Dale City area have significant space for more cars, PRTC officials said:
-I-95 at Va. 123

Of course, 3 of the 5 are in the middle of Dale City.
the i-95/123 lot has been empty for years due to poor design
and Kmart - while I knew it had commuter spaces, I can't see them being willing to fork over a marked portion of their parking lot... though in reality, Hood-Mart should, as it's not like there is a lot of shopping traffic filling it now.

Posted By: jerryclapham
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:21pm
I understand Potomac Mill's position (in a way). they want to expand the Mall to make more $$. Understand. But as others have point out on this post there is plenty of room in the rear of the Mall and other lots are at capacity, except for maybe Rt123 cause no one can get to it. But the real question is where is PW county government on this? Should they have not known about this expansion and termination of parking way in advance and what are they going to do about it. Carpoolers, busriders and sluggers have been using the Mall parking lot for decades. Now all of a sudden cut 75% of the spots. CONTACT YOUR COUNTY SUPERVISOR AND THE CHAIRMAN NOW!!! ask for swift action. Here is a link to all of the contact info.
http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040086000300000442

Jerry

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:48pm
quote:

-I-95 at Va. 123

There's space for more cars in these lots because there are no transit options at these locations... You park your car there and then what? Teleport?

How do these tiny commuter lots help you get to D.C.?

Sell em back to the public and use the proceeds to turn Horner Road into a multi layer parking deck that spans the entire parking lot, then extend Metro to it... If Metro could ever get off their collective asses and build something properly for a change.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 2:33pm
Potomac Mills is Heartless[:(] Starting this Valentines Day???? we'll all be frustrated with the commute and our loved ones will be the ones to suffer when we get home [:I] J/K lol

Posted By: DEM4
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:01pm
I agree with you as well, Boycott!!! I am sure we folks who work up north bring the most business to that mall anyway! There are very few good paying jobs in the county, unless you head towards DC, except Quantico and other contractors that have moved into PW County.

quote:
Originally posted by siggy14

Posted By: DEM4
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:08pm
Save your input PRTC official, all those other commuter lots are out of the way. Seems to me that you are looking out for your commuting business. Everyone don't take the bus! I say Boycott Potomac Mills!!
In the mean time, the race is on to Tacketts before 730am now!

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

quote:

-I-95 at Va. 123

There's space for more cars in these lots because there are no transit options at these locations... You park your car there and then what? Teleport?

How do these tiny commuter lots help you get to D.C.?

Sell em back to the public and use the proceeds to turn Horner Road into a multi layer parking deck that spans the entire parking lot, then extend Metro to it... If Metro could ever get off their collective asses and build something properly for a change.

Times to beat:

Posted By: CJ
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:50pm
Just goes to show if you do something you don't have to people will eventually believe they're entitled to it. For 25 years Potomac Mills has been allowing 4x the amount of spaces it needed to for use as commuter spaces, now they want to put in some restaurants to make some money and help get the PWC economy moving and y'all want to boycott. If you want to protest- go to a PWC supervisors meeting and ask them why in the 25 years they had to create more commuter spaces they disregarded their duty.
I hope all of you that say you're going to boycott do so because then I will be able to shop there with out so many people in my way. But realistically since your mall options are in Stafford (I'm not even sure that counts as a mall), Manassas (good luck with the traffic) or Springfield (make sure you wear the proper gang colors), I doubt many of you will follow through on your threat.

CJ

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 1:15am
quote:
Originally posted by DEM4

Save your input PRTC official, all those other commuter lots are out of the way. Seems to me that you are looking out for your commuting business. Everyone don't take the bus! I say Boycott Potomac Mills!!
In the mean time, the race is on to Tacketts before 730am now!

Uhhh... What?
I don't work for PRTC.

As I said before... I think those small lots in the middle of Dale City need to be gotten rid of.

They need to add more spaces to Horner Rd.

How does any of that support PRTC?

Times to beat:

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:18am
I received this email from the Occoquan District Supervisor. Just for the record he is long time Slug himself and a great support of Slugging.

Thank you for your email regarding Potomac Mills' decision to reduce the number of commuter spaces. Unfortunately, I do not really have too much more information than what is provided in the article.

The long and short of the situation is that as part of the original rezoning for the Potomac Mills property, they proferred to provide 275 spaces for commuter parking purposes. Over the years, they have been generous in providing closer to 1,000. They have not been legally obligated to provide those additional spaces, but it has probably provided some ancillary benefit to the mall as commuters stop in to eat and/or make purchases following their commutes.

Recently, the mall decided to add some new tenants and feels the need to reclaim those 725 or so spaces for retail purposes. It is disappointing from a commuter perspective, but the mall is only legally obligated to provide 275 spaces as set out in their proffers and intends to honor this obligation. As such, there is nothing the county can do to prevent Potomac Mills from making this business decision.

This is not to say the county will not do anything at all. On the contrary, we have been aware that this might be possibility for a while and we have been planning to try to expand commuter capacity in other areas. The most notable example of this is our recent efforts to begin planning and design of the expanded Horner Road lot. We still need to identify additional funds to get to construction as quickly as possible, and we will be looking for opportunities to do so in the upcoming budget, as well as working with our state legislative delegation in Richmond to try to identify state funds. We are also aggressively pursuing grant opportunities where possible, and looking at any other funding opportunities that may be out there. (** He sent me a follow-up email that said they have some funding but not enough to complete the expansion **)

In the meantime, as you know there are some lots that are currently under capacity such as the 123 lot (the one on the east side of 95). It is our hope that perhaps some of those lots can get some additional use while we work on the longer terms solution of expanded Horner.

Again, thank you for your email. I hope the foregoing information is useful to you. Should you have any additional questions, please let me know.

-Mike
Occoquan District Supervisor

Posted By: Checkers
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 11:16pm
Word has it that Potomac Mills is reducing commuter parking spaces to make way for proposed eateries -- fast food, of course -- and chain sitdown restaurants -- so the tired shopper won't leave after a "good" meal, and go forth and spend some more looking for the elusive bargain suggested by the word "Outlet".

Interesting reading below --

Potomac Mills Owner Proposes Upscale Mall
By Nikita Stewart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 12, 2005; Page B02
The owner of Potomac Mills, the region's mecca of discount shopping, wants to develop a high-end retail mall nearby that would be surrounded by luxury lofts and sidewalk cafes to meet the demands of Prince William County's burgeoning group of well-heeled residents, officials said yesterday.
The company that helped define the county as the place to go for cheap clothes now says it's time to make a change, or at least "complement" the outlet mall with an alternative for upscale shoppers, said Ramsey Meiser, group vice president of development for Arlington-based Mills Corp.
"The changing demographics of the county, the growth, the average income justifies this kind of retail," Meiser said yesterday.
The proposed project, which would be called Potomac Center, follows a succession of announcements of upscale retailers, such as the Harris Teeter grocery chain and a Jaguar dealership, setting up shop in the county, which has long played second fiddle to its neighbors to the north. The county is also developing its first luxury hotel, a conference center and a $56 million performing arts center that would be modeled after the famous La Scala opera house in Milan.
The county's recent focus on developing single-family homes that are selling for as much as $1 million, instead of the cheaper townhouses that shaped its inferior image in the 1980s and '90s, has increased the need for more expensive retail, said Supervisor Martin E. Nohe (R-Coles).
The county's population has jumped to 332,555 from 280,813 in 2000, and in the same period, the median household income increased to $83,000 from about $66,000, according to recent U.S. Census Bureau figures.
"Then we tell people who are living in those big homes with the high-paying jobs to go to Tysons Corner to buy shoes," Nohe said, referring to the Fairfax County mall whose anchor stores include Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's.
Mills Corp. is proud of Potomac Mills, which was built in 1985 as the first in a chain of 18 outlet malls across the country and is one of Virginia's biggest tourist attractions. But Prince William needs more, Meiser said.
While visitors flock to Potomac Mills, a survey the company conducted showed that residents travel to Tysons Corner Center, Pentagon City in Arlington and Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax to shop. "We've talked to people who say that's inconvenient," Meiser said.
Meiser said he could not reveal which retailers could serve as anchors for the project but said the company is in talks with two or three "full-price, high-end" stores.
At a meeting Tuesday, the Board of County Supervisors will consider whether to allow Mills Corp. to continue developing its plan. The 95-acre tract that the company wants to develop is zoned for commercial use and is pegged for office space in a master plan for the area.
The land, just east of Interstate 95 and south of Opitz Boulevard, could be better utilized as a mixed-use development that Mills Corp. is calling a "lifestyle center," Meiser said.
Potomac Mills is nearby, on the other side of I-95.
"Offices and loft apartments overlook the street below where fashionable shops, bookstores, restaurants and sidewalk cafes open to the tree-lined main street," the proposal reads. More multi-level apartments would be "nestled in wooded areas," which would give the project a total of 433 units, according to the proposal. In all, there would be 650,000 square feet of retail and 200,000 square feet in office space. Potomac Mills is 1.25 million square feet.
Mills Corp. is not alone in the venture. Lerner Enterprises, the Bethesda-based developer behind Tysons Corner and Dulles Town Center, would be its partner.
The two companies are trying to nurture a business relationship and see the Potomac Center as a way to develop that connection, Meiser said.

Posted By: jpdion
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:06pm
I pick up slugs every morning from Potomac Mills or Horner Road. Cutting spaces by 700 potentially adds another 1000 or more cars to the regular lanes, further clogging the already lousy I-95 commute. The pressure and competition for parking spaces and slugs at Horner is going to be ugly. I like the flexibility of slugging, but I think forming a regular carpool might be one answer.

Anybody want to form a regular carpool with me and my wife going to the USDOE-FAA-HUD-GSA-Smithsonian area? We live near Neabsco and Rte. 1. Email me at jpdion@verizon.net

Posted By: bcostello
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:15am
I am not sure why they are closing in February. Have they even submitted site plans for the site work? I can't imagine that this work is going to proceed this soon. Can't they phase out the parking spaces?

BCC

Posted By: nice-one
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:28am
Even though I like PW County. I am starting to notice with trying to commute and traffic its not worth it. Fortunately, I am moving closer into DC metro area so I can be accessible to more public transportation. Tackett Mills does fill by 8:30 and with more people now its going to get worse.

BTW I notice people from Stafford and Fredericksburg come up and slug from Potomac. Those cities have commute lots why are the people not using them.

Posted By: nice-one
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Checkers

Word has it that Potomac Mills is reducing commuter parking spaces to make way for proposed eateries -- fast food, of course -- and chain sitdown restaurants -- so the tired shopper won't leave after a "good" meal, and go forth and spend some more looking for the elusive bargain suggested by the word "Outlet".

Interesting reading below --

Potomac Mills Owner Proposes Upscale Mall
By Nikita Stewart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 12, 2005; Page B02
The owner of Potomac Mills, the region's mecca of discount shopping, wants to develop a high-end retail mall nearby that would be surrounded by luxury lofts and sidewalk cafes to meet the demands of Prince William County's burgeoning group of well-heeled residents, officials said yesterday.
The company that helped define the county as the place to go for cheap clothes now says it's time to make a change, or at least "complement" the outlet mall with an alternative for upscale shoppers, said Ramsey Meiser, group vice president of development for Arlington-based Mills Corp.
"The changing demographics of the county, the growth, the average income justifies this kind of retail," Meiser said yesterday.
The proposed project, which would be called Potomac Center, follows a succession of announcements of upscale retailers, such as the Harris Teeter grocery chain and a Jaguar dealership, setting up shop in the county, which has long played second fiddle to its neighbors to the north. The county is also developing its first luxury hotel, a conference center and a $56 million performing arts center that would be modeled after the famous La Scala opera house in Milan.
The county's recent focus on developing single-family homes that are selling for as much as $1 million, instead of the cheaper townhouses that shaped its inferior image in the 1980s and '90s, has increased the need for more expensive retail, said Supervisor Martin E. Nohe (R-Coles).
The county's population has jumped to 332,555 from 280,813 in 2000, and in the same period, the median household income increased to $83,000 from about $66,000, according to recent U.S. Census Bureau figures.
"Then we tell people who are living in those big homes with the high-paying jobs to go to Tysons Corner to buy shoes," Nohe said, referring to the Fairfax County mall whose anchor stores include Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's.
Mills Corp. is proud of Potomac Mills, which was built in 1985 as the first in a chain of 18 outlet malls across the country and is one of Virginia's biggest tourist attractions. But Prince William needs more, Meiser said.
While visitors flock to Potomac Mills, a survey the company conducted showed that residents travel to Tysons Corner Center, Pentagon City in Arlington and Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax to shop. "We've talked to people who say that's inconvenient," Meiser said.
Meiser said he could not reveal which retailers could serve as anchors for the project but said the company is in talks with two or three "full-price, high-end" stores.
At a meeting Tuesday, the Board of County Supervisors will consider whether to allow Mills Corp. to continue developing its plan. The 95-acre tract that the company wants to develop is zoned for commercial use and is pegged for office space in a master plan for the area.
The land, just east of Interstate 95 and south of Opitz Boulevard, could be better utilized as a mixed-use development that Mills Corp. is calling a "lifestyle center," Meiser said.
Potomac Mills is nearby, on the other side of I-95.
"Offices and loft apartments overlook the street below where fashionable shops, bookstores, restaurants and sidewalk cafes open to the tree-lined main street," the proposal reads. More multi-level apartments would be "nestled in wooded areas," which would give the project a total of 433 units, according to the proposal. In all, there would be 650,000 square feet of retail and 200,000 square feet in office space. Potomac Mills is 1.25 million square feet.
Mills Corp. is not alone in the venture. Lerner Enterprises, the Bethesda-based developer behind Tysons Corner and Dulles Town Center, would be its partner.
The two companies are trying to nurture a business relationship and see the Potomac Center as a way to develop that connection, Meiser said.

*****Does Upscale and Outlet belong in the same category**** If you get to upscale people will venture elsewhere for deals.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 3:59pm
First off, Potomac Mills hasn't been an "OUTLET" mall for some time. If you haven't noticed they stopped using that terminology a long time ago. My take on the growing PW County populations is that is was more affordable to live here so now we are going to make if unaffordable for the the "average person/family and the residents who already live here.

I don't think slug lines run out of the I-95/123 lot right now but with the current situation looming - now is the time to get them going. I know the Lake Ridge Buses go to this lot before swinging over to the old Hechinger lot.

It may take an extra few minutes to get to the lot but its better than sitting in the regular "95" lanes.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 11:02am
A good point was made earlier that why are they closing the parking down now? They can't possibly be building already so what would be the point in reducing parking this early? Wouldn't it take months, possibly years for building to be started/completed?

I say let people park whereever they way. During the week, how many shoppers are there in the mall? Not a lot I would say, especially in this economy. I think we should have been told this a lot sooner than one month.

Posted By: luvnslgn
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 2:58pm
I like PW county, but I've got news for the council. UPSCALE? who does the mall think is going to patronize these places? The people who can afford it (truly) won't want to be deluged by the ones trying to-- and they will abandon it. Traffic to get to PM on weekends is nightmarish, with 95 backed up in both directions. I realize that PM is trying to capitalize on the "American Dream", but they seem to have forgotten there is a recession. The mall took a hit when they reduced the parking last time, since most people who may have gone in on weekday evenings after work stopped doing that b/c they could no longer park there. They are going to take another hit. As a rule, I tend to avoid the mall anyway--it has truly digressed from when it first opened, and the most of the retailers hawk junk disguised as 'outlet'. So boycotting won't work, since most people boycott it anyway, either by design or intent. I wonder if the Mills corporation is as tuned into its customer base as it thinks. Most people I know who are slugging, especially closer to DC usually have the means to do shopping (ergo their commute), so why piss them off? Sure, the local economy may be good, but it gets better the closer into the city one moves. As for the other lots, 123 seems like an option, although getting there is a bear. Tacketts was there to pick up the brunt from PM, but has beens steadily filling up (including the overflow across the street) for some time now. I thought I saw construction for a new lot down the street from Tackett's. Anyone know anything about that?

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 4:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

Just goes to show if you do something you don't have to people will eventually believe they're entitled to it. For 25 years Potomac Mills has been allowing 4x the amount of spaces it needed to for use as commuter spaces, now they want to put in some restaurants to make some money and help get the PWC economy moving and y'all want to boycott. If you want to protest- go to a PWC supervisors meeting and ask them why in the 25 years they had to create more commuter spaces they disregarded their duty.
I hope all of you that say you're going to boycott do so because then I will be able to shop there with out so many people in my way. But realistically since your mall options are in Stafford (I'm not even sure that counts as a mall), Manassas (good luck with the traffic) or Springfield (make sure you wear the proper gang colors), I doubt many of you will follow through on your threat.

CJ

Given that I work in DC, and between DC & several shopping malls convenient to that commute (and my 2nd job IN Arlington) - I have Pentagon City and Ballston Commons nearby, and there are several mini-malls nearby.

Plus most if not all of the merchants have an online presence - and given that very few of the Potomac Mills merchants are true Outlets anymore - I can get the same or better deal online w/o hassle of traffic & parking. I get the same merchandise - but Potomac Mills gets none of my money. Having worked in the retail industry periodically in the past - I do put my money where my mouth is.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by VAwitch

quote:
Originally posted by CJ

CJ

Given that I work in DC, and between DC & several shopping malls convenient to that commute (and my 2nd job IN Arlington) - I have Pentagon City and Ballston Commons nearby, and there are several mini-malls nearby.

Plus most if not all of the merchants have an online presence - and given that very few of the Potomac Mills merchants are true Outlets anymore - I can get the same or better deal online w/o hassle of traffic & parking. I get the same merchandise - but Potomac Mills gets none of my money. Having worked in the retail industry periodically in the past - I do put my money where my mouth is.

Glad to hear it! I hope you do boycott PM. My question though still remains unanswered, why is everyone ticked off at PM and no such anger is being directed at PWC Board of Supervisors. PM provided 4x the amount of space for 25 years. That's like you giving someone 4 bucks every week, with no interest, no expectations and when you finally say hey I can't afford to do that anymore, they get mad. It's silly.

I don't know why some of you keep insisting that Potomac Mills sells nothing but crap but apparently you haven't been in there for awhile, despite using their parking lot for free. There are quite a few great stores in there. By the way, if y'all are able to afford to shop at Pentagon City or Tysons, good on you, guess all that money you save on gas is paying off.

CJ

Posted By: KennyP
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 5:09pm
I am also upset that PM is downsizing from 1000 slots to 250 slots. My question is, "What Do We Do Now". I'm retired military and there must be a plan be somewhere. Can anyone say what the people will do that slug from PM after 7:30. I have noticed that someone mentioned the commuter lot at Dale City and Kmart? Is there in fact a commuter lot there? If so I propose that on February 14th, anyone who wants to slug to the District, Crystal City, and Roslyn, go to this commuter lot to catch a ride. Let us move on from this and get a solution.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:49am
Kenny P- I agree, we need to get in front on this before Feb 14th. I have written my County Board of Supervisor and Corry Steward. Both have stated that they are looking in to the matter. I just have a feeling that the time they get a solution it will be to late. We, the slugging community need to take on the responsibilty ourselves. I also agree the the Kmart lot would be the best alternative. we need to know how many parking spaces are there and hope that Kmart has no problems with it.

Jerry

Posted By: dburkart
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:59am
I agree but to go one step further. I don't think there is a big enough area that will handle all of the overflow of 700+++ cars. Maybe,we could designate one are for Rosslyn -Crystal City, another commuter lot for DC and another for Pentagon. This will keep lots to a minimum and possibly not have this problem again.
Anyone have any other ideas?? I have been slugging for over 10yrs and want to continue with it.
quote:
Originally posted by jerryclapham

Kenny P- I agree, we need to get in front on this before Feb 14th. I have written my County Board of Supervisor and Corry Steward. Both have stated that they are looking in to the matter. I just have a feeling that the time they get a solution it will be to late. We, the slugging community need to take on the responsibilty ourselves. I also agree the the Kmart lot would be the best alternative. we need to know how many parking spaces are there and hope that Kmart has no problems with it.

Jerry

Posted By: phredd
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:42am
quote:
Originally posted by luvnslgn

I like PW county, but I've got news for the council. UPSCALE? who does the mall think is going to patronize these places? The people who can afford it (truly) won't want to be deluged by the ones trying to-- and they will abandon it. Traffic to get to PM on weekends is nightmarish, with 95 backed up in both directions. I realize that PM is trying to capitalize on the "American Dream", but they seem to have forgotten there is a recession. The mall took a hit when they reduced the parking last time, since most people who may have gone in on weekday evenings after work stopped doing that b/c they could no longer park there. They are going to take another hit. As a rule, I tend to avoid the mall anyway--it has truly digressed from when it first opened, and the most of the retailers hawk junk disguised as 'outlet'. So boycotting won't work, since most people boycott it anyway, either by design or intent. I wonder if the Mills corporation is as tuned into its customer base as it thinks. Most people I know who are slugging, especially closer to DC usually have the means to do shopping (ergo their commute), so why piss them off? Sure, the local economy may be good, but it gets better the closer into the city one moves. As for the other lots, 123 seems like an option, although getting there is a bear. Tacketts was there to pick up the brunt from PM, but has beens steadily filling up (including the overflow across the street) for some time now. I thought I saw construction for a new lot down the street from Tackett's. Anyone know anything about that?

Yeah, have they thought about how much business they will loose...my wife parks there and goes into Costco quite a bit after work...probably not anymore

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:43am
My opinion is that PM should not care how many spaces commuters use because they have a lot of parking that is not being used! PM should be happy people want to park at the mall, it generates money for them.

I don't think building a multi level parking deck at horner would work because they would a.) have to close down part of the parking while they are building it, which would be a bad thing!!! b.) there are electrical wires running across the parking lot which would prevent something like a parking deck being built. If they do expand the lot onto new property THEN they can make that the multi-level deck because hey, virgin ground and would not impact commuters.

PM should just leave commuters alone and let them park wherever they want!!!! They have the parking available. And, don't tell me PM allowed commuters to use more parking thant they originally alloted. That is there own fault for letting it happen. To me it means they didn't even miss the parking spaces because THEY HAVE SO MUCH ALREADY!!! We should have been told this could be a possibility way back when they first had the thought and given people enough warning to make alternate plans. I want someone to tell me why they are cutting off the parking now when they could not possibly be ready to break ground yet!!

Posted By: Late rider
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:38am
I think this is also tied to HOT lanes... Maybe they all made a business agreement so it will leave all of us from PWC to pay toll or get stuck in the traffic. Don't you all think so?

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:39am
The problem with three of the lots that were suggested for parking is that they are in the middle of Dale City, approximately ten minutes travel time from I-95 (Dale City Commuter Lot - behind Giant Food), Hillendale and Lindendale. K-Mart only has a limited amount of space and is not a PRTC bus stop so if you normally slug and take the bus home, the closest bus stop is Ashdale and Dale Boulevard. Then you would have to walk across Dale Boulevard (during rush hour) and up the street to K-Mart which makes this a very unsafe route. As for the 123 commuter parking lot, the logistics of getting to that lot is the major problem. I also don't believe that there are a total of 725 available spots at any of these lots combined.

Doesn't the BOS have to approve any site changes? Can't they request that Pot Mills move the commuter parking lot to the backside of the mall. PRTC moved its local bus stop to the backside, why can't the commuters also move to the back side.

Posted By: acarter729
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:17pm
I just received an alert from PRTC that they will be moving the PRTC bus stop located near the main entrance of Potomac Mills Mall to the mall entrance near F&M Furniture. Here is the link to PRTC's website with this announcement.
http://prtctransit.org/myprtc/service-updates/service_updates.php?docid=267

Posted By: Spectrepilot
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

My opinion is that PM should not care how many spaces commuters use because they have a lot of parking that is not being used! PM should be happy people want to park at the mall, it generates money for them.

I don't think building a multi level parking deck at horner would work because they would a.) have to close down part of the parking while they are building it, which would be a bad thing!!! b.) there are electrical wires running across the parking lot which would prevent something like a parking deck being built. If they do expand the lot onto new property THEN they can make that the multi-level deck because hey, virgin ground and would not impact commuters.

PM should just leave commuters alone and let them park wherever they want!!!! They have the parking available. And, don't tell me PM allowed commuters to use more parking thant they originally alloted. That is there own fault for letting it happen. To me it means they didn't even miss the parking spaces because THEY HAVE SO MUCH ALREADY!!! We should have been told this could be a possibility way back when they first had the thought and given people enough warning to make alternate plans. I want someone to tell me why they are cutting off the parking now when they could not possibly be ready to break ground yet!!

That is a mighty big sense of entitlement, especially when you are talking about private property. Please pass along your home address...I DEMAND to park on your property.

how do you know they are not ready to break ground? Typically for new construction projects a portion of land is set aside before breaking ground to being in equipment and support buildings for said construction. It is very disingenuous to fault the owners of private property when they have been providing a free service to the residents of this area for year. Your elected officials are the ones to blame, they have demonstrated no forethought or strategic leadership.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:37pm
I just received an alert from PRTC that they will be moving the PRTC bus stop located near the main entrance of Potomac Mills Mall to the mall entrance near F&M Furniture. Here is the link to PRTC's website with this announcement.

This is the spot across from Ikea and the back side of Costco. Maybe we can still convince the Mall management that this is an option. It's a win-win situation for all - they can still continue with their "mall remodeling", we'll be away from the front entrance of the mall and still have free parking and the new bus stops will be there.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by acarter729

Sounds to me like the slug lines can be moved there.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

Just my 2 cents.

Hi, PRTC just announced that they are moving their bus stops from the front of the mall to the stop by F&M furniture. Maybe the mall can reconsider just relocating the slug line pick up and drop off point to this lot.

Posted By: bcostello
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
In order to build the expansion, Simon Malls would have to have an approved site plan and an approved set of building plans. Has anyone asked Simon Malls or the County if the site plan or building plans are approved or even submitted? If neither have been approved...this expansion is at least a year away. If this is so, why the rush for next month?

I think before the rush to find news spaces, I think some more questions need to be asked of the Mall. Although it is their property and Simon can choose to have the spaces or not, I do think they need to be transparent about their reasons if no site/buildingplans have even been submitted.

BCC

Posted By: ranajee
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 1:15pm
BOYCOTT THE MALL:

Let's spread the word and Boycott the mall for about a month. It will surely bring down the sales and the Mall management may think of granting more space to commuters.

I was also looking at the Google Satellite view and it shows the mall and parking (probably it's a weekend, not weekday). There are still plenty of parking even on the weekend (which is usually a busy day).

MY SUGGESTED PARKING LOT:
Here is what I would suggest that the parking should be and it does not effect the Potomac Mills business in any ways:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg
- http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg

I work in Falls Church and I drive every day, but I used to slug before and I pick up from Potomac Mills often. This parking change does not effect me directly, but I do feel the pain that we all will see in less than 30 days. So, please act now

Boycott the mall from Feb 1, 2011 until Feb 28, 2011 - Let the sale go down and spread the word as much as you can and make the mall management realize that their business will be possible because of consumers like us. Our parking problem needs to be solved and it for sure does not effect the mall business in any way.

Adnan

Posted By: PeterFree
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:58pm
The mall is not going to change for you, and your suggestion to add additional parking spaces is about as far in left field as you can imagine.....The mall only has to provide 275 spaces. Call your board of supervisor and complain to him, from what I understand, they have known for years that this would happen and did nothing. Don't blame the mall they are a business, and by adding more retail and restaurants only means more taxes. You use the mall lot on a daily basis and probably don't shop after work, so your boycott really doesn't matter.....

Posted By: Checkers
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
Spectrepilot -- "mighty big sense of entitlement". I couldn't have said it better.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
I'm loving all these people who are just randomly saying "my parking doesn't effect their business" or "they don't need to shut down parking now". Do you not think that maybe PM has done some studies or built a few timelines or done marketing surveys? Do you all really think they had no clue that a bunch of people were going to be ticked off that their free parking was about to be downsized? I really love that all of you are somehow mall management or marketing experts. Don't get me wrong I know some of you probably do work in the field in some way, but to think that PM just randomly said"Hey we are going to build here in xx years, let's tick off a bunch of potential customers for no reason" is silly.

CJ

Posted By: ckenyattas2011
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:10am
There is a solution to this problem. I suggested that we need to start using the parking lot at Kmart which is on Dale Blvd. There is a communter lot there and it is an easy access to Interstate 95 and HOV. Right now that lot is being use for van pool pick up. If people are interested I would like to set up a new slug line starting February 1, 2011. Please reply and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

C.K. [8D]

C.K.

Posted By: ckenyattas2011
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:42am
I have been slugging for now almost 14 years. I have seen a lot of changes through those years. I remember we had our slug line right where IKEA is located. Then we moved from IKEA to parking our cars to Wal-Mart. Then from Wal-Mart to Target. And finally the last few years we parked our cars near Costco at Potomac Mills. Also don't forget we park our cars at Prince William Square. We use Prince William Square as an overflow commuter lot. We have been moving around during the last ten years that we really don’t really don’t have a permanent space to park our cars. I also notice a pattern when gas prices go up; Potomac Mills try to reduce the commuter parking space to prevent us from parking our cars. Remember when gas went up almost $2.50 to $3.00 for the first time Potomac Mills reduces the commuter parking space. And now they are doing the something again since the cost of gas is more than $3.00 a gallon. But this time Potomac Mills have a good reason because they are expanding the mall. I will miss parking my car at Potomac Mills because the security guards are able to watch our cars. I think the county needs to use our tax dollars to either expand the existing commuter lots or build a new commuter lot to accommodate the sluggers. [8D]

C.K.

Posted By: Rose14507
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:54pm
Are there slug lines at the Dale City Commuter Lot ( behind Giant ) going to 14th St or 18th St?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 7:55am
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

I'm loving all these people who are just randomly saying "my parking doesn't effect their business" or "they don't need to shut down parking now". Do you not think that maybe PM has done some studies or built a few timelines or done marketing surveys? Do you all really think they had no clue that a bunch of people were going to be ticked off that their free parking was about to be downsized? I really love that all of you are somehow mall management or marketing experts. Don't get me wrong I know some of you probably do work in the field in some way, but to think that PM just randomly said"Hey we are going to build here in xx years, let's tick off a bunch of potential customers for no reason" is silly.

CJ

I have not read anybody saying PM didn't do studies on this. I think it would have been a lot better, and made people a lot less mad!!! if PM had told commuters months and months in adavance rather than 30 days, or whatever it was. 6 months or a year would have been nice to be prepared because you KNOW PM was planning this and did not just come up with this idea last week! Now people are scrambling trying to figurte out what they are going to do. It is ridiculous if you think people don't have a right to be mad. People should be mad because they are scared and don't know what the future is going to bring. I want an answer on why they are closing the parking now. Are they breaking ground Feb 15th? They better be because why else would they start the parking restriction on the 14th? If they are not planning to break ground until this summer or next year, then let the people park for God's sake!!!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:27am
quote:
Originally posted by ckenyattas2011

There is a solution to this problem. I suggested that we need to start using the parking lot at Kmart which is on Dale Blvd. There is a communter lot there and it is an easy access to Interstate 95 and HOV. Right now that lot is being use for van pool pick up. If people are interested I would like to set up a new slug line starting February 1, 2011. Please reply and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

C.K. [8D]

C.K.

Has anyone spoken with KMART management? This parking lot is not that big and it is private property? It would be great if PM / Simon were willing to accomodate commuters but the bottom line is they don't and consumers also have the right to take their business elsewhere.

If PM /Simon are not or just don't want to provide the parking - everyone put there heads together and find alternatives :

KMART -
Dale City Lots -
123 / 95 Lot -
Horner Road Expansion -

The options are there - everyone needs to pull together and work towards the solution. The sooner the better for everyone. [:)]

Posted By: lcdmccullough
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:34am
The 123 lot off 95N (at exit 160) is a pain to reach in the mornings but it's the only lot that has enough spaces to handle all the displaced riders. (It has about 700 spaces, mostly unused)

The real issue is how to get back there in the evening? All the slug lines that currently go to Potomac need to switch to going here otherwise none of us will be able to get home.

It doesn't help us that lots of small lots are available for parking. Drivers in the evening want to go to ONE location when they drop off. No one is going to drive all over Woodbridge to drop slugs off at night.

Posted By: momx3va
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:36am
Maybe the county should ask Hylton Chapel if commuters can use their lot during the week ~ most of their events happen on the weekends, from what I've seen!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 9:03am
Forget the boycott of PM. Instead I suggest we mount a strong email and phone call campaign to the County Board of Supervisors, state legistature and VDOT. This is were our anger and dissatisfaction needs to be placed. The PW government and VDOT have known for years that this day would come but have done nothing about it. I have written to my member on the County Board of Supervisors as well as the Chairman of the CBOS. Their response - "we are looking into the matter". This week I will be contacting VDOT and my state delegate to get them invovled. We need to let them know that instead of boycotting PM we will boycot them at the next election if something is not done.

I also suggest that we have a townhall type of meeting with VDOT, the Supervisors and State delegates to discuss the option and to address this problem and get some real solutions.

Jerry

Posted By: DrChen
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 11:43am
If the Potomac Mills slug lines move to Rt123/95 then PRTC will have to add busses. WHy because I'm sure there are many bus riders that park at Potomac Mills too! Don't forget the bus riders. Right now only the Lake Ridge bus lines serve Rt123...

Yea, Rt 123 lot is a pain to get to in the morning. no easy way to get there...

to the question of how to access the Rt 123 lot...
The Rt123 lot is accessed off Rt 123 south of I95. And you can get on I95 directly or you would have to come out of the lot and access the HOV entrance off Rt 123. On the way back in the afternoon, take the Rt 123 HOV exit and turn left at Rt 123.

But it can work. Maybe we should just move all 3 major Potomac Mills slug lines to Rt 123 and just deal with it...

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by momx3va

Maybe the county should ask Hylton Chapel if commuters can use their lot during the week ~ most of their events happen on the weekends, from what I've seen!

Very good alternative. In fact, I was just looking at it. The parking lot seems a bit smaller, but if they can give us at least 80% of the space, it would be a great alternative. It is also very close to PRTC and 95 exit/entrances.

Is there somebody who can talk to them ??

Adnan

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by jerryclapham

Forget the boycott of PM. Instead I suggest we mount a strong email and phone call campaign to the County Board of Supervisors, state legistature and VDOT. This is were our anger and dissatisfaction needs to be placed. The PW government and VDOT have known for years that this day would come but have done nothing about it. I have written to my member on the County Board of Supervisors as well as the Chairman of the CBOS. Their response - "we are looking into the matter". This week I will be contacting VDOT and my state delegate to get them invovled. We need to let them know that instead of boycotting PM we will boycot them at the next election if something is not done.

I also suggest that we have a townhall type of meeting with VDOT, the Supervisors and State delegates to discuss the option and to address this problem and get some real solutions.

Jerry

Prince William County has done nothing in years. Even if they approve a designated spot or build a new parking lot or may extend Horner Road lot, it will take "YEARS" to complete.

Think about next month. What are you going to do ???

My take is still the same and even more harsh. Boycott, not only for a month, but for as long as Potomac Mills management gives us not only the existing space, but "more space" to park the cars.

Some one mentioned that we park our cars and then don't shop in the evening. All of us live here and we do shop whenever we have to and specially on weekends. So, the point is that no matter what, we all shop from Potomac Mills at least once a week. If we all stop shopping, who will go there, who will shop, their sales will go down. If we all boycott in a planned way by telling the business owners of the mall that the reason for our boycott is not them but mall management, they can also force the management to let us park during the day.

So, boycott from today until the management gives us more space to park. Here is the suggested parking lots that is required.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg - http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg

STAND UP AND SHOW THE CONSUMER POWER
BOYCOTT TILL WE GET THE PARKING SPOTS BACK

Adnan

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by PeterFree

The mall is not going to change for you, and your suggestion to add additional parking spaces is about as far in left field as you can imagine.....The mall only has to provide 275 spaces. Call your board of supervisor and complain to him, from what I understand, they have known for years that this would happen and did nothing. Don't blame the mall they are a business, and by adding more retail and restaurants only means more taxes. You use the mall lot on a daily basis and probably don't shop after work, so your boycott really doesn't matter.....

True ...
But, it's always good to try and do your best and that's what we all should do.

You only have 1 post, looks like you work for mall management !!!!!

Adnan

Posted By: Evergreen
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 5:48pm
The Dale City Commuter lot behind Giant is not a safe place to park. The lot is dimly, poorly lit, and despite the County saying it is patrolled, there is a lot of vandalism taking place there. No slug lines to speak of there.

I've been commuting for 20 years and remember when we were pushed away from across where Ikea now is. This PM news sucks. Everyone in all the other lots, especially those barely getting a space at Horner now, is about to feel the pain soon.

I just wish Stafford County pitched in and built more its own lots so that those county residents and those living farther south of there could park and slug from down there from their own without having to drive up the the PW lots. It's a free country, but this doesn't help matters in Prince William.

Please everyone... keep calling Corey Stewart and the other county supervisors. Corey commutes as well to DC; I've slugged with him.

Posted By: joewaylo
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 4:55pm
It took full effect this morning. It was terrible to find a parking space in Horner Road commuter lot. After 1/25/2011 6:15AM this morning, I got the last parking spot.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:54am
Here is the response I have received from Corey Stewart, Chairman of PW Board of Supervisors. We need to keep the pressure on the County Supervisors as well a VDOT and our state delegates.

Thank you for your e-mail. I am very concerned about the commuter parking situation at Potomac Mills. I slugged for many years and still do when I need to head up north, so I understand this is a very serious situation. Prince William County is working with VDOT to find an interim solution, as well as a long term solution.
Yesterday I met with PWC Transportation, the County Executive and several officials from VDOT, including the new Northern Virginia District Administrator. I made it clear that although VDOT is ultimately responsible for commuter parking, we must work together to resolve this matter, and that currently it is our number one priority.
While not helpful for the immediate need, I did want to let you know that we do have a design underway to convert the old PRTC bus garage site into a commuter parking lot. It is across Telegraph Road from what is referred to as the “Horner Road Lot.” The design plans for the addition of between 500 and 600 spaces. We are working with VDOT to fund this important project.
I, along with the Board of County Supervisors will keep you posted as we make progress in finding a short term solution before February 14th.

--Corey

Corey A. Stewart
Chairman
Prince William Board of County Supervisors
1 County Complex Court
Prince William, VA 22192
(703) 792-4640 - Telephone/(703) 792-4637 - Fax
cstewart@pwcgov.org

Jerry

Posted By: ktzmom13
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:00pm
What about starting slug lines in the KMart parking lot?

Posted By: KennyP
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:55pm
Tick Tick Tick Tick. Time is ticking away for the powers that be to make a decision. Kmart would work, but there are no PRTC buses that go to that location. So, if you, by any chance can't get a slug ride, you are outta luck. As for Potomac Mills (PM) and stated by Geronimo, "With all this land, why is there no room for the Apache". Why can't PM allow parking in another part of the mall until, they and the County can come up with a viable solution to this problem. We all know that PM is a business and those of you that keep stating that during this forum, WE KNOW ALREADY. But PM needs to look at the big picture. This drastic move will cause hardship to the entire Prince William County community. We are asking for a little compassion. We are asking that you empathize with our situation as a whole, not just the slugging community. Allow us to move to the back of PM somewhere. Your choice, but don't permit this hardship on this community. Whether the powers that be admit it or not, this drastic change not only hurts the slugging community, it hurts all that commute by other means. Our roads, buses, and the like will definitely be affected. Our PWC officials need to get it together. Time is definitely ticking away.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by KennyP

Tick Tick Tick Tick. Time is ticking away for the powers that be to make a decision. Kmart would work, but there are no PRTC buses that go to that location. So, if you, by any chance can't get a slug ride, you are outta luck. As for Potomac Mills (PM) and stated by Geronimo, "With all this land, why is there no room for the Apache". Why can't PM allow parking in another part of the mall until, they and the County can come up with a viable solution to this problem. We all know that PM is a business and those of you that keep stating that during this forum, WE KNOW ALREADY. But PM needs to look at the big picture. This drastic move will cause hardship to the entire Prince William County community. We are asking for a little compassion. We are asking that you empathize with our situation as a whole, not just the slugging community. Allow us to move to the back of PM somewhere. Your choice, but don't permit this hardship on this community. Whether the powers that be admit it or not, this drastic change not only hurts the slugging community, it hurts all that commute by other means. Our roads, buses, and the like will definitely be affected. Our PWC officials need to get it together. Time is definitely ticking away.

Exactly.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:11pm
Kenny P. You are absoultly correct. Maybe VDOT/PWC should just pay PM a couple of bucks to lets us park in the back of the Mall. It would be cheaper all around.

Jerry

Posted By: cindileett
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:44pm
We need to be organized about this. PM management has apparently forgotten that they are members of this community, too. There is a long history in this coutry of businesses doing more than they are legally required to, in order to be good corporate "citizens" of their communities. Here's what we need to do:

• Pledge to boycott any business that is built on or contiguous to the former commuter spaces, and ask your BOS rep to inform any businesses seeking permits for this area of this boycott pledge
• Inform all existing Potomac Mills area businesses that you frequent, that you will start frequenting businesses closer to the area where you will now be parking,
• Ask your friends and family members to join you in a community-wide boycott of all Potomac Mills shops and restaurants on VALENTINE'S DAY 2011, and
• Pass this information on to every Woodbridge Area slug and rider you come in contact with, including riders now parking after 7:30 a.m. at the Tacketts lot, as this affects them, too.

I have been handing out sample letters (addressed to PM Management with cc to the owners) and lists of PM businesses to all my riders for the past week and a half. On February 1, unless we hear about an alternate plan for commuters from PM management, I will start handing out fliers proposing a community-wide boycott of Potomac Mills on February 14, 2011. We need to show mall management that we are customers, too and that the entire Woodbridge community is incensed at the hardship PM management is imposing on members of this community.

Posted By: bmfw930
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
Expanding the Mall will creater more gridlock especially on the weekends. And going green mustbe the forefrontbefore expanding. Why are they not enough buses (Omnilink) for weekend travel to leave the cars home and why do the buses not run on Sundays.Maybe if PRC thought about this, that can get more people on the buses to shop and eat instead of driving or being forced to stay home on SUNDAYS!!!!!!!!!!! Businesses can fare better with connections from other parts of Virvinia and nearby counties. Why can there be a bus link (connecting the counties) to Lorton (Fairfax Connector) buses?
How about expnading Metro bus to the Mall and the rail to VRE?!

New to Va.

Posted By: tullylo
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:53am
This is a response to an email I sent to Frank Principi. Please Everyone ATTEND THE TOWN HALL MEETING!!!!

What I don't know and want to find out is if Simon Malls and VDOT and/or PWC are in negotiations for lease revenue of this parking lot. If not THEY NEED TO BE until a permanent solution is found. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thank you for your email concerning the commuter parking situation at Potomac Mills. This is an unfortunate situation, as I know these parking spaces are very convenient for many commuters. Residents rely on these parking spaces in order to use slug lines to get to work everyday.

County Supervisor, Michael May and I have created a small workgroup to find solutions to this problem. We held a meeting with VDOT and county staff this week to address the need for more parking spaces. I assure you that this issue is not something I plan on sweeping under the rug and forgetting about. Supervisor May and I will be hosting a town hall meeting on February 8, at the Ferlozzo building auditorium at 7 pm.In the meantime, there are several lots in the county that are not close to full capacity. Replacing the Potomac Mills spaces with these lots is not ideal, but I assure you that we will look at other options to remedy this situation. You may view the entire list of commuter lots on the PRTC’s website at http://www.prtctransit.org/myprtc/service-updates/service_updates.php?docid=265.

Thanks again for taking the time to email me. I love hearing from my constituents and finding out what is on their minds. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to call me at (703) 792-4646.

Sincerely, Frank J. Principi

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 1:01pm
Great idea. we need to keep reminding peope to attend this meeting and put presure on our elected officals. Also it would be great to get someone from the state government there as well. Maybe even VDOT.

Jerry

Posted By: PeterFree
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:57am
quote:
Originally posted by ranajee

quote:
Originally posted by PeterFree

True ...
But, it's always good to try and do your best and that's what we all should do.

You only have 1 post, looks like you work for mall management !!!!!

Adnan

Posted By: Boycott
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:38am
Let's Boycott Potomac Mills. Then we can Boycott Target, Best Buy, Babies R Us & Bed Bath and Beyond, Prince William County Schools (specifically Garfield and any school near 95), Potomac Hospital, All the restaurants near 95 corridor, all the rest stops along 95, A couple apartment complexes near 95 and PWCPW, Marumsco Shopping center, Potomac Festival, and Prince William County as a whole.

For all of you that are into boycotting private properties, did I leave anything out that your wanting to boycott simply because of the location being private property? Lastly, let's Boycott the constitution and not allow people to own private property.

Posted By: tullylo
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by Boycott

Let's Boycott Potomac Mills. Then we can Boycott Target, Best Buy, Babies R Us & Bed Bath and Beyond, Prince William County Schools (specifically Garfield and any school near 95), Potomac Hospital, All the restaurants near 95 corridor, all the rest stops along 95, A couple apartment complexes near 95 and PWCPW, Marumsco Shopping center, Potomac Festival, and Prince William County as a whole.

For all of you that are into boycotting private properties, did I leave anything out that your wanting to boycott simply because of the location being private property? Lastly, let's Boycott the constitution and not allow people to own private property.

I don't think any of us WANT to boycott private property. What we WANT is a logical reason why Simon Malls feels that 30 days notice is reasonable, in particular, when their own card, distributed to the slugs, says that they are "exploring opportunities" for new mall businesses. If Simon Malls is using the slugs to help them put pressure on either VDOT or PWC to get revenue for allowing parking, just tell us (that would be a logical reason for 30 days notice). We can help by applying pressure in that direction.

To Simon Malls:

Tell us why you think 30 days is a reasonable amount of notice. You are a part of the Prince William County community. Why would a member of the community cause such an uproar? You must have known that this would have a tremendous impact on the community you are a part of. If not, you need to replace your management team. If so, then you have no heart by only providing a 30 day notice.

Boycott away citizens of PWC.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:38am
I have created a new thread for solutions to the Potomac Mills commuter parking reduction. Please use the thread below (Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized) if you have recommendations or suggestions new slugging locations.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12579

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 10:43am
One thing that could possibly help would be to have an expanded circulator bus system that serves Potomac Mills and the other malls. If done right, a lot more people could leave their cars at home. This would be inconvenient however, as it is hard to imagine anything that didn't involve half hour waits, especially in the afternoon. Just something to kick around. Something like this would no doubt take many months to plan and implement.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:29am
The Messenger has the date of the Town Hall meeting with Supervisors May and Principi on February 9th instead of February 8th as reported previously. Below is the link to the story.

http:// http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/31/prince-william-supervisors-hold-town-hall-commuter-ar-811092/ - http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/31/prince-william-supervisors-hold-town-hall-commuter-ar-811092/

Jerry

Posted By: Star Demery
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:51am
There will be a Town Hall Meeting on the Potomac Mills Slug line situation. It will be held on Wednesday, 10 February 2011, at 7pm in the Ferlazzo auditorium. Please attend to discuss and give your suggestions on what should done about the over 700 displaced sluggers! This Town Hall will be hosted by Supervisor Principi.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 12:02pm
Wednesday of next week is February 9th.

Posted By: siggy14
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 6:23pm
At Potomac today and they have the second taped off and painted the new line for the parking lot, it is now a green line.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:18am
To All,
To help focus discussion, I am locking two of the Potomac Mills threads. Please make comments and suggestions to the one with the subject: Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net