Print Page | Close Window

Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5058
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 5:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized
Posted By: Admin
Subject: Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:34am
It is time to develop some slugging solutions to the reduction of 750 commuter parking spaces at Potomac Mills Mall. As you know, Potomac Mills will reduce the commuter parking spaces at the mall from 1000 spaces to approximately 275 on February 14th. The 700+ displaced slugs/drivers will have a domino effect on all other slugging in the region.

At present, it appears that many slugs will simply shift to an existing slug line that supports their destination. Unfortunately many of the commuter lots with slugging are already at maximum capacity. For example, Horner Road is full by approximately 7:00 a.m. and Tackett’s Mill is full a little later by 8:30 a.m. If you are currently using either of these lots, you may be impacted by the Potomac Mills changes.

As you know slugging needs fairly large commuter lots to work best and must have backup bus service. Given what is available in the are there really seems to be two viable options:
1) I-95 at Va. 123 - exit 160 (700 spaces)
2) Dale City Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Gemini Way (555 spaces)

There are some other smaller lots in the area but I just do not know if they are large enough to support slugging.
I have posted a survey on the www.Slug-Lines.com homepage to gather input. Please use the poll so that we can gather information on which locations would serve you best.

Here are some available commuter lots:
-I-95 at Va. 123 - exit 160 (700 spaces)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Gordon+Boulevard+and+annaplois+way&aq=&sll=38.668557,-77.252898&sspn=0.009348,0.022638&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&ll=38.667183,-77.250645&spn=0.009349,0.022638&t=h&z=16

-Dale City Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Gemini Way (555 spaces)
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x89b657ce945dc7e1:0xd3938adad66f76ed&q=minnieville+rd+and+gemini+way&hl=en&sll=38.645053,-77.339475&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&ll=38.654382,-77.362161&spn=0,0&t=h&z=15

-Lindendale Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Quate Lane (215 spaces)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Lindendale+Road+%26+Dale+Blvd&aq=&sll=38.746586,-77.209167&sspn=0.285436,0.724411&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dale+Blvd+%26+Lindendale+Rd,+Dale+City,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22193&ll=38.659242,-77.358706&spn=0.004675,0.011319&t=h&z=17

-Kmart at Dale City -Dale Boulevard near Gideon (?? spaces)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Dale+Boulevard+and+Gideon&aq=&sll=38.632394,-77.301221&sspn=0.018706,0.045276&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dale+Blvd+%26+Gideon+Dr,+Dale+City,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22193&t=h&z=16

-Hillendale Commuter Lot - Hillendale Road near Dale Boulevard (?? spaces)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hillendale+Road+and+Dale+Boulevard&aq=&sll=38.781164,-77.20773&sspn=0.597363,1.448822&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dale+Blvd+%26+Hillendale+Dr,+Dale+City,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22193&ll=38.6

Replies:
Posted By: Evergreen
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 12:46pm
Regarding the Dale City Commuter lot (behind Giant), for those of us leaving or returning home in the dark, that lot is very dimly and poorly lit. There are not many lights in that lot. Furthermore, a lot of vandalism takes place there, despite our being told that the lot is patrolled regularly. There's never a week that I don't see smashed glass in that lot.

Please put the pressure on VDOT and our PW County Supervisors about these conditions, which I believe, in addition to no existing slug lines, is deterring people from parking there.

Posted By: DaleCitySlug
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:06am
As a driver I would be more then happy to start using either the KMart or Dale Blvd (behind Giant) options. But like Evergreen stated would be hesitant to park there. I drive about 70% and ride about 30% of the time to Crystal City.

Posted By: Nivety
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:47am
As a driver, i would like to pick up from Kmart parking lot; another good idea that someone stated in another thread was the VRE Rippon station. But if those options are not available by the time Feb 14 comes, i will be driving in alone.

Posted By: slug123456789
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by Nivety

As a driver, i would like to pick up from Kmart parking lot; another good idea that someone stated in another thread was the VRE Rippon station. But if those options are not available by the time Feb 14 comes, i will be driving in alone.

Confused, why would you drive in alone? There are still commuter lots to pick up from even though PM is reducing.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:25am
Why are you confused slug123456789?!?!? I choose to drive in alone b/c that is my choice. It's that simple. I don't have to justify my statement. The original thread asked which lots we prefer. Yes, maybe i should have left the statement off about choosing to drive in alone but i only added it as my alternative option.

Posted By: slug123456789
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:03am
quote:

Why are you confused slug123456789?!?!? I choose to drive in alone b/c that is my choice. It's that simple. I don't have to justify my statement. The original thread asked which lots we prefer. Yes, maybe i should have left the statement off about choosing to drive in alone but i only added it as my alternative option.

Enjoy driving alone. [:D]

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:47am
quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

quote:

Confused, why would you drive in alone? There are still commuter lots to pick up from even though PM is reducing.

Yes, there are other lots, but depending on where a person is coming from, it may take almost as much time criss-crossing Woodbridge & getting to i-95 as me just turning from my home, with coffee & strudel in hand, and drive up the highway listening to my choice of music @ my choice of volume.

I live near Marumsco, cross to Cardinal to drop son off @ d/c due to special program, then what? Go to the Giant/Gemini lot to then putter up Dale Blvd for 20minutes? On days I don't have him, I'm not spending 20 min to park, 20min up Dale.... I'll take the 40min & putter up 95 w/ aforementioned items.

Ideally, I'll take the Kmart lot - perhaps they can mark the spaces aside from a core-in front of store with a different color paint similar to Bob Evans. Park outside the spaces, buh-bye car. It won't get us 700 spaces, but except on the weekend, Ghetto-mart doesn't have but maybe three-dozen cars in front, and maybe 2-300 spaces.

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 11:23am
The major problem with the K-Mart lot is there is not NOT a lot of space available for commuter parking and it is NOT serviced by PRTC. If you end up having to take the bus, you would need to walk to the nearest bus stop which is at the corner of Ashdale and Dale. At night you would have to get off the bus near the Church and cross Dale Boulevard at one of its busiest intersections. To me the K-Mart lot is NOT a viable option.

Posted By: KennyP
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:22pm
Good Afternoon Nivety, I for one appreciate the ride each morning that you provide. It is definitely your choice as to whether you pick up slugs or not. But I would like for you to consider a stop that is more convenient for you to pick up slugs. As I stated in an earlier comment, this situation with Potomac Mills and Prince William County affects more than they know. Thanks again for your support of slugging.

Posted By: Jack Burden
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:01pm
The lot at 123 and I-95 sounds like the best solution. It has loads of spaces, a PRTC bus stop and is located near another slug line -- the Old Hechingers lot. I am a driver and use the Old Hechingers lot in the AM and PM. Maybe slugs returning to the 123/I-95 lot can mingle with Old Hechingers slugs. Given their proximity to each other, in the PM I would be happy to drop off at either lot. I would even swing drop off at both if I had riders going to both.

On another note relating to the Old Hechingers lot, why isn't there a PM line at 19th with the Horner and Potomac slugs. I guess all the AM 18th Street riders from Old Hechingers go to the 15 St line to get home in the PM. Can't figure out why nothing has caught on at 19th Street.

Posted By: tullylo
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:25pm
Please attend this Town Hall meeting. This is our opportunity to explain the issues and hopefully get a short term solution that everyone can live with.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=grsp8ocab&v=001vd12ggE3Xa5MGnbwPunA2vDekK2zLzVbLy1TnocEmWwrhzQ51Snjgwk3OWZJtwMkYyRpvgUWIacVGQ5V_CfL-PjUVBY1kjOXVkfubHiIjGM%3D

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:06pm
Not only should everyone be concerned about morning parking at the new location(s) for slug lines, but afternoon/evening slug lines returning to these new area(s) will have to be designated/established - and what guarantee is there that drivers picking up riders in existing areas of DC and Rosslyn, for example, will be willing to drop off slugs around Woodbridge/Dale City and down Hillendale/Dale Boulevard way (excluding Horner and Kmart)?

I appreciate that the Board has scheduled a Town Hall meeting to address our problems, but time is running out... February 14 is just around the corner, and I'm already dreading what to do and where to go that morning. This is going to be painful for everyone: slugs, drivers in need of slugs, and for those who normally use Horner, Lake Ridge, and all other lots.

Posted By: ktzmom13
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 3:55pm
I've been driving since December - was slugging until then. Would like to return to slugging as soon as winter is over! I work at 18th & I - I wouldn't mind establishing a 19th & I PM slug line. PRTC bus picks up at 18th & Penn in evening if there aren't cars and blue line Metro is at 18th & I - so alternatives exist. I also vote that we start slug lines at the 123/95 lot and/or Dale City lot.

Posted By: jkandmk
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 6:57am
123/95 lot would be wonderful for me. I am surprised there isn't a Pentagon line established there already. I prefer Rosslyn though. Then we have the Mark Center issues that will arise in the summer. That will divert several sluggers and drivers.

J&M

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:32am
I hope you're talking adding a destination (Rt. 123 lot) with the existing line at 19th & I and not starting a separate line on that block. At 19th & F, we have one line with two destinations for Fairfax County (Bob's & Rolling Valley).

I attended the meeting in Oct. 2010, and the DC gov't proposed moving the 19th & I St. line to 19th & F and combining it the existing line. There were several Bob's riders at that meeting and we conviced Mr. Cleckley that adding a third destination to the 19th & F St. line was a bad idea.

Please consider adding a second destination to the existing 19th & I St. line instead of a separate line on the same block.

Posted By: cgz
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 11:47am
I drive and slug from Potomac Mills into DC (18th in the AM) ... my main concern is: will there even be an afternoon slug line from 19th&I to PM anymore? If they reduce the spots to 275, the # of drivers going back towards there and the slugs that need to go there are going to reduce so dramatically that it might not even be worth it to come down 19th if it's out of the way for a lot of drivers.

Either way ... i'd be willing to slug / drive from the old Hechniger's lot; KMart is much more convenient for me though. I think 123 is going to be inconvenient because you'd have to get on 95 (in traffic) to get there in the morning, right?

Posted By: tverdich
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:11pm
I wrote to the county supervisor Frank J. Principi

Received the following response.

Greetings!

As you may know, Potomac Mills is limiting the number of spaces for commuters effective February 14th. Unfortunately, this is going to displace over 700 commuters. I am currently working with my fellow Board of County Supervisor members and County staff on a solution to this situation.

I will be co-hosting a town hall with Occoquan District Supervisor Michael C. May, on February 9th, at 7:00 pm, in the Ferlazzo Building in the Auditorium to discuss the impact of Potomac Mills decision to limit the number of parking spaces available to commuters. We will be joined by County staff, VDOT officials, and PRTC officials to discuss the options available and to receive feedback from area commuters who are affected by the recent decision by Potomac Mills.

In the coming year, the County will be expanding Horner Road which will provide 500-600 parking spaces for commuters near Telegraph road. In the meantime, the plan is to continue to look at leasing spaces from other property owners and better utilizing existing underutilized lots. There are currently 11 lots in the eastern part of the County with excess parking capacity.

It is essential that we find a way to limit the impact on our commuters. Supervisor May and I wanted to be able to inform our constituents and give them the opportunity to provide us with feedback. A town hall will provide us a forum to accomplish both of these goals.

I am continuing to push for alternative transit options for commuters. A feasibility study was completed last fall showing that a regional commuter ferry service is a viable transit option for the area. In the coming month, the commuter ferry stakeholder's group will meet for the first time. This group is composed of local, state and federal elected officials as well as the military, and members of the private and public sector. Their goal is to promote commuter ferry service for the region and to complete a market analysis in the coming year.

For more information:

Windshield Flyer

http://www.prtctransit.org/docs/Potomac_Mills_Commuter_Parking_Flyer_1-11.pdf

Map of existing lots

http://www.prtctransit.org/docs/Potomac_Mills_Commuter_Spaces_Reduced_-_Combined_Flyer_1-11.pdf

PRTC website

http://www.prtctransit.org

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me at
(703) 792-4646.

Sincerely,

Frank J. Principi

Woodbridge District Supervisor

Posted By: tverdich
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:52pm
Email from Corey A. Stewart, Chairman
Prince William Board of County Supervisors

Thank you for your e-mail. Potomac Mills is required by a proffer to provide 275 spaces, for over 20 years they have allowed up to 1,000 commuter’s park on their private property. Due to expansion by Potomac Mills they are no longer able to accommodate this many cars. I am very concerned about the commuter parking situation at Potomac Mills. I slugged for many years and still do when I need to head up north, so I understand this is a very serious situation. Prince William County is working with VDOT to find an interim solution, as well as a long term solution.

Two weeks ago, I met with PWC Transportation, the County Executive and several officials from VDOT, including the new Northern Virginia District Administrator. I made it clear that although VDOT is ultimately responsible for commuter parking, we must work together to resolve this matter and that currently it is our number one priority.

Earlier this week Supervisor Jenkins met with a large church that may be willing to assist and next week Supervisor’s May and Principi will be holding a Town Hall Meeting to update and discuss the citizens. The meeting will be held on February 9, 2011 at 7:00pm at the Ferlazzo Building.

While not helpful for the immediate need, I did want to let you know that we do have a design underway to convert the old PRTC bus garage site into a commuter parking lot. It is across Telegraph Road from what is referred to as the “Horner Road Lot.” The design plans for the addition of between 500 and 600 spaces. We are working with VDOT to fund this important project.

I, along with the Board of County Supervisors will keep you posted as we make progress in finding a solution before February 14th.

--Corey

Corey A. Stewart

Chairman

Prince William Board of County Supervisors

1 County Complex Court

Prince William, VA 22192

(703) 792-4640 - Telephone/(703) 792-4637 - Fax

cstewart@pwcgov.org

Posted By: cwjacques
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:49am
I don't know if any of these have been sugguested:

1) Potomac Mills could charge a fee, say $25 - $30 monthly proiving
the commuter with the same dollar amount in coupons for use at any
place in the Mall and provide a parking permit to commuter. This
would benefit the Mall in a couple of ways.
a) Commuters would be apted to shop more there[:)]
b) For those who opt out of using the coupons the Mall still wins.
They will have the fee they've charged free and clear. This
could easy generate hundreds of thousands of dollars annually
for them.
2) 1st Baptist Church on Minneville has a large parking lot that I
don't believe is used much during the day.

Posted By: snlfam
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:28pm
My fear is that some of the Potomac Mills sluggers going to DC will come and fill up 'my' Hechinger's lot before I get there in the morning. [:(] I used to park at Potomac Mills, but it fills up long before I leave for work.

I propose that if this begins to happen, that we use the 123 lot as a backup slugging location for DC destinations (14th/18th/20th). Hopefully drivers who used to drop off at Potomac Mills from DC locations will be willing to drop off at 123 or Hechinger's instead/also. Anyone disagree with this proposal? I am open for suggestions.

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm
quote:
snlfam Posted - 08 Feb 2011 : 13:28:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fear is that some of the Potomac Mills sluggers going to DC will come and fill up 'my' Hechinger's lot before I get there in the morning. I used to park at Potomac Mills, but it fills up long before I leave for work.

I propose that if this begins to happen, that we use the 123 lot as a backup slugging location for DC destinations (14th/18th/20th). Hopefully drivers who used to drop off at Potomac Mills from DC locations will be willing to drop off at 123 or Hechinger's instead/also. Anyone disagree with this proposal? I am open for suggestions.

Like you, I also slug in long after Potomac Mills fills up and for that reason, have had to switch to Tackett's Mill - I share your concern about Tackett's Mill being full much earlier after this change takes place, even though it's not the ideal location since there is no line that goes into DC.

Whatever new location(s) we come up with, I'd really like to see a line from somewhere in Dale City (would love to go from K-Mart, but I don't think the lot is big enough) going to L'Enfant Plaza and other locations in the city.

Posted By: amymariehager
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:50pm
I think the Kmart lot will be the best. It is easy for the Dale City and those of us coming from south of that area. I live near Quantico and there is a large number of drivers in my area that pick up at Potomac Mills because 234 fills up early and there isn't a line coming home from the city at night (unless I am wrong...) But having a lot in Dale City isn't convenient.

Posted By: Boo123
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:26am
I used to park at Horner Road and Potomac Mills. Got squeezed out of both. Now I am in Lake Ridge, Tacketts, and 123 alternatively. I too am concerned about being squeezed out of Lake Ridge and Tacketts by the 700 displaced Potomac Mills folks. It is unfortunate that there are so many (11 did one of the supervisors say?) under-used lots already in existence in eastern Prince William. We all know why they are: no bus service to them, an overall slower commute from them. When I moved to Montclair, I tried the Gemini/Dale City lot for a little while. It added 30 minutes to the already horrid 1h30m door-to-door commute. If we could figure out a way to make those lots work, that would be supreme. Another lot that is nearly totally unused is the one at Harbor and Minnieville. I think the only way that any of them could be more viable is to get some bus service there, but I know PRTC lacks those resources (unless the state of VA is willing to help them on that end). I do like someone's idea (up the discussion) of seeing if Potomac Mills would respond to $$$. I suspect they would and that some drivers would be willing to pay to park there, if a reasonable fee. Certainly all ideas can be put on the table. One last thing, and this may be highly controversial. There are alot of Stafford and Spotsylvania county folks parking in Prince William lots. Should the residents of a county have first dibs on the commuter lots located thre or not? If VDOT improved the commuter lot situation in those 2 counties, would those folks start parking there versus driving up here to Eastern Prince William? If VA extended the HOV lane down to Stafford (at least), ditto? If PRTC or another DC-bound commuter bus service was developed there (to compliment VRE) would that help some of this? For Potomac Mills to go from 1000 to 275 in one swoop is just so drastic. Could they be persuaded to "step down" gradually instead? Like to 750 on 2/14, 500 six months later, etc. It would give folks some time to find alternatives and others affected by the change to adjust. And buy a little time on any new lot expansion at Horner or anywhere else. BTW the 123 lot doesn't get its props, but I think it is a fairly easy lot to get in and out of (being in the middle of a cloverleaf). Yes, you have to creep through that 95 slog from Dale Blvd. northwards to get to it, unless you take Route 1 (which may or may not be a slog itself, depending on the time of morning). It's far after midnight, and I've said enough! [:)]

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 11:37am
Boo123 brought up a crucial, excellent, logical point that is a huge concern. We have a vast number of people driving from other counties, some even from Fairfax, to slug/take the bus/vanpool from the Prince William lots. What is going on in Stafford, Spotsylvania, etc. that you can't organize slugging from there without having to drive up 95/Route 1 to here??? Those of you who have written about being bumped out of lots that you formerly parked in have valid concerns because every lot is about to face problems this next week: Horner, 234, Lake Ridge, etc. Not all of us start work at 7:00am or earlier. What about those of us starting 8:30am or later???

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 1:25pm
quote:
Not all of us start work at 7:00am or earlier. What about those of us starting 8:30am or later???

Exactly. Those who are en route prior to 7am are probably not as likely to be affected as greatly as us tail-end-of-HOV-restriction slugs!

This limits my commuter lot options as it is, and having been pushed out of Potomac Mills already, I'm extremely concerned about what will happen as of Monday. We need to come up with solutions, and FAST.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend the town hall meeting this evening at the Ferlazzo building, but am very hopeful that this will bring us closer to a temporary fix.

Posted By: S_Tucker
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:34pm
I only slug from Potomac because it's easier to get back to. If a slug line is developed from 15th street to go back to 234 and I'm sure there are many riders in my position I would slug from 234. How can I start a line from 15th back to 234?

Posted By: jcppotomac
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:24pm
I was unable to make the meeting tonight regarding alternatives for the reduced commuter spaces at potomac mills. Can someone provide a brief overview of the meeting? I'm new to the area and so far I've only been able to successfully park at pmills by 730 and on monday/friday i find a spot a horner by then. Don't have many other options since my child care providers hours prevent me from getting to the lots before 715. Any suggestions?

Posted By: VNorman
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:44am
I wonder if PWC and VDOT have talked to anyone at the Hylton Memorial Chapel event center? It's very big, usually empty, and located close to the smaller K-Mart lot. With a building that size sitting there empty most of the time, how do they stay in business? Maybe they'd consider renting a few hundred spaces to VDOT for a reasonable maintenance fee.

VNorman

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:25am
VNorman, that's a good idea.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:43am
Outcome of Town Hall Meeting - The Potomac Mills commuters were well represented last night at the Town Hall meeting co-hosted by Supervisor Frank Principi and Occoquan District Supervisor Michael C. May. Many thanks to all the Slugs that participated and voice their concerns regarding the loss in commuter parking spaces. The meeting which began at 7:00 pm, lasted until approximately 11:00 pm, as commuters took the microphone to voice opinions and ask questions. I think many were looking for the answer to the question: "Where do I go on Monday, Feb 14th for my morning commute?" Unfortunately, there just aren't any easy answers. Suggestions were made to use the Kmart lot, the Gemini commuter lot or the 123 lot, but every option had issues.

Near the end of the meeting slugs seemed to just want somebody take a leadership role for the slugging community and make a decision. As the webmaster, I have tried to allow the "system" to regulate itself but this may require intervention. Over the next 24 hours I will try to coordinate a solution but with only one working left before the Monday changes, this is going to be a challenge.

Thanks again to everybody who attended the town hall or has offered solutions on the message board.

Posted By: rtreed
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:06am
The new slug spot will need to accommodate the designations that Potomac Mills has now which is Downtown, Pentagon, Rosslyn and Crystal City.

I will gladly start to use the 123 lot to park and slug from if we can get dedicated drivers that will pick up and take us back to the 123 lot from the above areas.

I slug to downtown either 14th or 18th street in the mornings between 7:10-7:30 AM and I usually slug home from the Rosslyn spot.

Any drivers interested?

Posted By: pwc94
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by VNorman

I wonder if PWC and VDOT have talked to anyone at the Hylton Memorial Chapel event center? It's very big, usually empty, and located close to the smaller K-Mart lot. With a building that size sitting there empty most of the time, how do they stay in business? Maybe they'd consider renting a few hundred spaces to VDOT for a reasonable maintenance fee.

VNorman

That's not likely to happen. While it is frequently empty during the week, it's not always. In the last couple of years there have been firefighter funerals held there, and the entire lot is filled. If they were to allow commuter parking, they'd have to suspend that offer for such events with only a couple days' notice.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:48pm
Here's the scenario for Monday.

Lot fills up way early.
Potamac Mills cops are out in force, chasing folks down when they try to park illegally
People start parking all over the surrounding store lots.
Many of the stores have people towed away.

Many many irate folks.
I attended the meeting, and believe me, there is nothing else that will happen other than the above.

Too bad PM did not give us at least 3 months to organize this.

Posted By: VNorman
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by pwc94
[That's not likely to happen. While it is frequently empty during the week, it's not always. In the last couple of years there have been firefighter funerals held there, and the entire lot is filled. If they were to allow commuter parking, they'd have to suspend that offer for such events with only a couple days' notice.

You're right, it's not always empty. And the nearest bus stop is probably a couple of blocks away. I'm sure it wouldn't work as a permanent commuter lot. But we lose 750 spaces after today, so VDOT needs to find an immediate alternative, even if it's short term.

Posted By: siggy14
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 1:10pm
Did anyone ask in the meeting If potomac mills was asked why we only got a month? where they asked why this cant wait till it becomes a problem for them.

Something seems very fishy here that we got a months notice and they havent even started building, there hasnt even been a problem yet of people complaining they are trying to use the mall and can not get parking.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:02pm
The subject came up. Someone asked the supervisors if they had approached PM with an offer to lease some spaces from them for a short term fix until we get organized. No dice, according to the govt folks. They didnt elaborate but said there is NO flexibility being offered. Assuming that PM are not jerks (an iffy proposition), they probably went ahead and signed a legal deal with a restaurant or something with a certain, inflexible time frame.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:28pm
The Editor of the Woodbridge Patch attended last night's commuter town hall and have subsequently published an article on the matter. There will be a video up tomorrow, but for now the link is accessible here:

http://woodbridge-va.patch.com/articles/commuter-town-hall-prompts-discussion-and-slug-line-rearrangement

Posted By: JustALilSlug
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:04pm
I bet if we took this to the local news station and had it aired all over Fox 5, nbc washingto and wusa9; while subsequently being posted in Washington post and washington times, that we'd get some type of answer or fair justice from Potomac Mills.

DC is already in the top 5 for worst commute. I think they're trying to go for #1.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by JustALilSlug

I bet if we took this to the local news station and had it aired all over Fox 5, nbc washingto and wusa9; while subsequently being posted in Washington post and washington times, that we'd get some type of answer or fair justice from Potomac Mills.

DC is already in the top 5 for worst commute. I think they're trying to go for #1.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:28pm
quote:

There was a segment on NBC 4 news shortly after Potomac Mills made the announcement. While Jim Vance was reading the story, there was a video shot showing a commuter lot; unfortunately, it was the Horner Road lot and not Potomac Mills.

Posted By: Boycott
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 6:50pm
quote:

You are so correct. The news people need to be aware of this... HELLO! Have you not read the newspapers or seen the news channel coverage on this. It's been done. They made their decision and they are not going to change their minds simply because we make "verbal threats of Boycotting" "Contacting media" etc. We are all having to deal with this the best way we can, which for right now is to find a new location. Deal with it.

I'm going to the 123 location as it will get me to 95 a little further north than Dale Blvd at KMart. See you all there Monday!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:03pm
http://potomaclocal.com/traffic-transit/church-could-ease-parking-woes/

Church could ease parking woes
February 1, 2011 News, Traffic & Transit, Woodbridge No Comments

Woodbridge, Va. –– Commuters that will be forced from the commuter lot at Potomac Mills mall could soon park at the First Baptist Church of Woodbridge.

The church is considering leasing to Prince William County up to 500 parking spaces in their 700-space lot for commuters to use on weekdays.

The church, with a 1,250-member congregation, sits at Minnieville and Elm Farm roads just off Prince William Parkway and stands to benefit financially from the deal.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:14pm
http://woodbridge-va.patch.com/articles/church-in-talks-to-provide-700-commuter-parking-spaces

Church in Talks to Provide 700 Commuter Parking SpacesNeabsco District Supervisor and PRTC Chairman John Jenkins told Patch the Board of County Supervisors is working to replace the 725 commuter parking spaces at Potomac Mills Mall that will no longer be available starting Feb. 14.
By Nathan Curby | Email the author | February 1, 2011 Add a comment (0 comments )
Email | Start Following | Print | Share on Facebook | View full size new

Neabsco District Supervisor and PRTC Chairman John Jenkins talked to Patch on Monday about commuter parking and other issues.Credit NathanCurby

A local church is in talks with the Board of County Supervisors to lease 700 parking spaces to replace commuter parking at Potomac Mills Mall that will be lost on Feb. 14, Neabsco District Supervisor John Jenkins told Patch Monday.

Jenkins, who was recently elected Chairman of the Potomac Rappahannock Transportation Commission for 2011, sat down with Patch to discuss commuter parking, the proposal in Virginia’s General Assembly to consolidate PRTC with two other transportation organizations, and what issues PRTC will face in the next year.
Jenkins said the BOCS and PRTC are working to find both immediate and long-term solutions for commuters who will no longer be able to park at the Potomac Mills Mall. Jenkins said he met with representatives of the church, which he declined to name at this time, to discuss the potential deal to lease parking spaces.

Jenkins said the deal might not be finalized by Feb. 14, when the Potomac Mills Mall will reduce commuter parking spaces from 1,000 to 275, but he is confident a solution will be in place by the end of February.

Posted By: Checkers
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:48pm
A thought -- because so many are affected by PM's reduction, many will have no other option than the PRTC -- currently operated via a contract with WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority) = Metro. The One-Way Cash Fare to/from Northern Virginia, Washington is $7.00 and the One-Way SmarTrip Fare is $5.25. Now, that's messed up.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:45am
To All,
To help focus discussion, I am locking two of the Potomac Mills threads. Please make comments and suggestions to the one with the subject: Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net