Print Page | Close Window

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5091
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 8:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs
Posted By: Admin
Subject: NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:35am
*****UPDATE TO THREAD ** Option #1 was Selected *****
1) 14th/18th/L'Enfant Street line - remains at Potomac Mills
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HAD OUT FLYERS!!! Even if you spend 10 minutes handing this out it helps! You don't need to volunteer all day!

http://www.slug-lines.com/downloads/DaleCityFlyer.pdf

***** END OF UPDATE ********

Slugs and Drives,
As a result of the Town Hall meeting on February 9th, a number of slugs asked that I take a more active role resolving the Potomac Mills problems. As I stated at the meeting, I try to let the system regulate itself with the slugs/drivers making the decisions. However, this change came with so little warning and will impact so many people, that we need to come together quickly. This is what I propose:

- collect input/comments from the two options below
- make a decision by Saturday morning
- notify slugs of the new location on Saturday via this website, the Slug Newsletter, and hopefully some media coverage
- On Monday, flyers will be distributed to those entering the lot of the changes. Many will be completely unaware and frustrated.
- The flyer will be available for download from this site
- I would ask that slugs/drivers help communicate the changes

Two options for the Potomac Mills slug lines:

Option #1 (3.5 miles - 8 minutes from Potomac)
Link to directions from Potomac:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Minnieville+Rd+%26+Gemini+Way,+Dale+City,+VA+22193&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFT2tTQIdreRj-w&mra=ls&sll=38.645053,-77.339475&sspn=0.006469,0.013046&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

OmniRide Bus Schedules to this lot (Washington):
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-Washington.pdf
Pentagon Slugs:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-CC.pdf

********** or *************

Option #2 (4.8 miles - 7 minutes from Potomac)
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
Driving direction/map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFa34TQIdfkBl-ylLYpjtUlS2iTF3933Na1P6dA&mra=ls&sll=38.667183,-77.250645&sspn=0.006417,0.013046&g=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&ie=UTF8&ll=38.646774,-77.271309&spn=0.061538,0.110035&t=h&z=13

Omniride Bus:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/LakeRidge-CC.pdf

Rational on these options:
- with only 250 spaces at Potomac Mills, it will accomodate only one slug lines (to include carpools/vanpools/bus riders).
- Keeping the Pentagon and the Crystal City/Rosslyn lines at the same location gives slugs/drivers a choice if one destination isn't available. At times I will slug to the Pentagon if Crystal City drivers aren't available.
- both commuter lots have bus service
- the other commuter lots are either at capacity already or too small to accomodate slugging effectively

There is no "silver bullet" that works for everybody. Any option will inconvenience some and disrupts our normal commute. However, we can make this work if we come together. But we must come together.

Replies:
Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:02am
Option 1 is best, for Rosslyn etc to use the Dale City lot, not 123. However, it is urgent that for the coming weeks, slugs must have a bus backup to get back to the Dale City lot if they can only get to Potomac in the afternoon. I dont think the pickups in the pm are going to be there for the Dale City lot. Is it still possible to jump on a Commuteride at Potomac in the afternoon and pay a buck to get to the Dale City lot? Will the buses have capacity for this? Lacking this, the Dale City lot is not viable.

Posted By: wkdrns01
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:34am
The majority of the sluggers are going to the pentagon.
I think Pentagon Line should stay at Potomac and move the other lines to different location.
This is a mess. I think the local government with businesses should talk to resolve this problem. How about Strayer University parking lot in Potomac? Can commuters park there?

Posted By: dburkart
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:53am
I work in Rosslyn and could use the Dale City commuter lot -- if organized we could get a ride home. Otherwise I am going to try Kmart on Monday morning since majority of people thought that to be a good location.

Posted By: siggy14
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
I goto 18th/state department, As Dale City is closer to me, i am a little worried about leaving my car there if you were to move my line there. Have we talked to PW Police about doing more patrols?

I, dont know the numbers, but I do know alot of people that go to 18th/state department that will jump on the rosslyn line if not much is happening on their line. So maybe a good idea to keep those two lines together.

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:38am
I work on Capitol Hill and pick up slugs for L'Efant because 14th Street has become so congested that it adds over 20 minutes to my morning commute. I would suggest that L'Efant be at both Pot Mills for the early birds and also at 123 (or Hechingers) for those that start work after 8:00.

Pentagon lately has become so backed up in the mornings that it is overflowing onto the regular lanes causing traffic to back up on the HOV lanes at Shirlington and sometimes even further south. Is there any way that this back up into the Pentagon could be addressed? One solution in my mind which would remove more vehicles from the ramp waiting to go through the stop sign as you enter the Pentagon parking lot is to make everyone turn right and follow the road around as if you were picking up slugs for the evening ride. This would take more of the traffic off the ramp and the HOV lanes. Just my two cents worth.

Thank you for taking charge of this. I believe that there are a number of individuals that just want someone to say if you need this location then you need to go here.

quote:
Originally posted by siggy14

I goto 18th/state department, As Dale City is closer to me, i am a little worried about leaving my car there if you were to move my line there. Have we talked to PW Police about doing more patrols?

I, dont know the numbers, but I do know alot of people that go to 18th/state department that will jump on the rosslyn line if not much is happening on their line. So maybe a good idea to keep those two lines together.

Posted By: ktzmom13
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:31am
I don't go in until later as I have to get my kids off to school first; there's no way I'd get a space at Potomac Mills at 8:30 a.m. I'd rather have 14th/18th Street/L'Enfant slugs at Dale City Commuter lot - keep Pentagon at Potomac Mills.

Posted By: omola9
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:46am
Option 1 would be the best for me. I can then catch the bus from Rosslyn in the evening.

OTA

Posted By: chessie
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:47am
I am fine with both options. Since there will be only 250 spaces now on at Potomac Mills, but 555 spaces Dale City lot, it gives more capacity for Pentagon Riders with more spaces. I also support the opinion that we need to urge the local law enforcement to secure the Dale City lot as safer and more reliable. Nobody wants to find there car with broken windows.

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:49am
Based on the options provided, I would prefer Option #1 - however, even though I'd prefer to go directly to L'Enfant Plaza, Potomac Mills still will not be an option for anyone after a certain time. With only 275 spaces, I can only imagine that slugging will not be available there after 7am, if that late.

However, I suppose having the option to go from the Dale City lot to the Pentagon would be better for me, personally.

I just don't think either option will really help those actually going into DC, considering how much less space will be available at Potomac Mills. In my opinion, we will probably need more options in more locations. The 123 lot just doesn't work for everyone in Woodbridge, depending on where you live!

All that said - thank you so much for stepping up and helping us coordinate these changes. I don't think we could do it alone!

Posted By: Fall_Line
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:59am
I work downtown and live in Montclair. Currently I slug from Tacketts to Rosslyn and metro the rest of the way (that's the best option given my usual lot arrival time of 7:45-8:00). I suspect the Tacketts lot will fill very early starting Monday.

Thank you for presenting Options. I prefer Option 1, as I would like to see greater utilization of the Gemini Lot. However, I would suggest that the Gemini Lot cover downtown riders instead of Crystal/Rosslyn/Pentagon. My rationale for this suggestion is that current bus PM capacity to Gemini from Rosslyn is insufficient to cover slugs who may be "trapped" at Rosslyn in the evenings.

I liked the suggestion above that Potomac Mills become "Pentagon-only." My suggestion for Crystal/Rosslyn overflow riders & drivers is to begin using the Harbor Drive lot at the intersection of Telegraph and Minnieville. That is a very short drive from Tackett's, and actually a bit more convenient for drivers using the Horner Road exit to avoid 123 traffic. I would also like to see the county investigate the status of the "Tackett's Village" property right next to the Tackett's lot. It appears to be a beautiful and completely unused parking lot, and the property is for sale.

There is of course some un-utilized capacity for downtown slugs to park at the "Hechingers" lot (and I've been doing this long enough to remember the Hechingers building there). Though coming from Montclair, this lot, and the 123 lot (as profiled in Option 2) are a last resort for me.

For myself, I am planning to the Gemini lot a try Monday morning; I'll take a a ride to where-ever, or catch the Bus if need be. I very much hope drivers will start to make that lot an option.

-Aimee

Posted By: siggy14
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:12pm
Option 1.

Posted By: Cplace
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:34pm
Option 1 works best for me. I live in Montclair and drive folks to the Pentagon. As a driver I wouldn't go to 123. Also as folks have mentioned a lot of people go to the Pentagon, that'll be more traffic on 95 and old bridge trying to get to that lot. I feel if anyone is moved to 123 it should be a smaller group only because that's less cars having to work their way up there. Only downside it's out of the way for drivers so if they get there and there are no slugs they are SOL.

I noticed the K-mart lot was left out will that be left for over-flow then? Anyways Dale City commuter lot works fine for me. Just need to know if the lines will be split up and designated to different areas in the lot. Kudos for coming up with a plan, since the county wasn't much help.

Posted By: xhawk
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:48pm
I just got an email from the Fairfax Connector saying that the Park and Rides in the South and East may fill up quickly because of the decision to reduce the spaces at Potomac Mills.

Posted By: Evergreen
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:23pm
VDOT and Tom Blaser from PW County must ensure that something be done about more police patrol around the Dale City commuter lot (Gemini Way), along with poor lighting already in existence. Take note before sunrise and after dark as to how dimly lit that lot currently is. I'd be concerned for women having to walk through that lot. Right now there are only TWO stationery overhead lights supporting that lot - NOT ENOUGH LIGHTS. I can't help but notice smashed glass in that lot on a weekly basis. As bad as it is having to worry about where to park now, none of us need the extra worry about returning to a vandalized vehicle.

Posted By: ghanna
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Slugs and Drives,
As a result of the Town Hall meeting on February 9th, a number of slugs asked that I take a more active role resolving the Potomac Mills problems. As I stated at the meeting, I try to let the system regulate itself with the slugs/drivers making the decisions. However, this change came with so little warning and will impact so many people, that we need to come together quickly. This is what I propose:

- collect input/comments from the two options below
- make a decision by Saturday morning
- notify slugs of the new location on Saturday via this website, the Slug Newsletter, and hopefully some media coverage
- On Monday, flyers will be distributed to those entering the lot of the changes. Many will be completely unaware and frustrated.
- The flyer will be available for download from this site
- I would ask that slugs/drivers help communicate the changes

Two options for the Potomac Mills slug lines:

Option #1 (3.5 miles - 8 minutes from Potomac)
Link to directions from Potomac:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Minnieville+Rd+%26+Gemini+Way,+Dale+City,+VA+22193&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFT2tTQIdreRj-w&mra=ls&sll=38.645053,-77.339475&sspn=0.006469,0.013046&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

OmniRide Bus Schedules to this lot (Washington):
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-Washington.pdf
Pentagon Slugs:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-CC.pdf

********** or *************

Option #2 (4.8 miles - 7 minutes from Potomac)
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
Driving direction/map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFa34TQIdfkBl-ylLYpjtUlS2iTF3933Na1P6dA&mra=ls&sll=38.667183,-77.250645&sspn=0.006417,0.013046&g=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&ie=UTF8&ll=38.646774,-77.271309&spn=0.061538,0.110035&t=h&z=13

Omniride Bus:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/LakeRidge-CC.pdf

Rational on these options:
- with only 250 spaces at Potomac Mills, it will accomodate only one slug lines (to include carpools/vanpools/bus riders).
- Keeping the Pentagon and the Crystal City/Rosslyn lines at the same location gives slugs/drivers a choice if one destination isn't available. At times I will slug to the Pentagon if Crystal City drivers aren't available.
- both commuter lots have bus service
- the other commuter lots are either at capacity already or too small to accomodate slugging effectively

There is no "silver bullet" that works for everybody. Any option will inconvenience some and disrupts our normal commute. However, we can make this work if we come together. But we must come together.

Posted By: soldierguardian
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:00pm

I concur with keeping the Pentagon Slug line at Potomac Mills.

quote:
Originally posted by wkdrns01

I think Pentagon Line should stay at Potomac and move the other lines to different location.

-soldierguardian

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:10pm
Why can't the abandoned parking lot at Minnieville and Harbor Dr (adjacent to telegraph Rd; near the Tackett's lot)? I estimate that there are around 250 spots there...

Posted By: dwyorkster
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:34pm
The news stories have indicated that the county was in discussion with PTRC and other private properties near Potomac Mills to come up with other options. I understand one of those discussions is with First Baptist Church (at Minnieville and PW Parkway) where they have a large parking lot. A decision is expected in the next few/several days, but, of course, the county's discussions did not really begin soon enough to get everything in place by Monday. Just FYI in case that's a potential game-changer in the next several days/weeks.

Posted By: Brenfromva
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:41pm
I am a driver only and pick up now at the PM lot. I used to go to the old Hechingers lot, but got tired of fighting the traffic on Minnieville/Old Bridge before I even got on 95. I am for the 18th street slugline to either stay at PM if there will still be spaces available after 7:30, or at any of the lots off of Dale Boulevard. I just need to know where to go Monday morning, so I along with countless others aren't driving from lot to lot trying to find warm bodies to take to DC[:D]

Posted By: Wazmiester
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:07pm
Thank you Admin for taking the initiative on this messy situation. First of all i appreciate your efforts with this painstaking task of organizing a viable solution. I think its a great idea to utilize what we have left at Potomac Mills by designating a single line instead of 3 separate lines, which would have completely disbanded this lot for sure. Its logical to keep the line with least number of commuters and utilize the 275 available spots properly. Personally i commute to 18th street so both options work for me. The only concern i have is that there are a lot of folks who park and ride buses from this location as well, so what happens with that? 275 spaces may not be enough if buses keep running from this location as they are.

I slug!

Posted By: Jack Burden
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:15pm
Under either Option 1 or 2, I think it makes more sense to move the 14th / 18th lines to 95 / 123. There is already a 14th / 18th line at Hechingers so drivers can easily go to the 95 / 123 lot to get slugs. There are no Pentagon drivers or slugs currently going to Hechingers.

I think it makes the most sense to send the 14 / 18th line to Hechingers with the 95 /123 lot as overflow when Hechingers fills up. I go to Hechingers every morning and if I saw no slugs or a long line of cars, I would be happy to swing over to the 95 /123 lot to get slugs.

Between 8 and 8:30 this week, I have noticed plenty of open spaces at the Hechingers lot, even with snow piles still taking a few spaces. Can't say it will accommodate all the displaced Potomac Mills slugs, but between Hechingers and 95 / 123, I think there will be plenty of spaces.

This makes more sense for the PM too. Drivers already going to Hechingers could easily pick up slugs for the 95 /123 lot or vice/versa.

I think there should be a PM line to Hechingers and/or 95 / 123 at 19th & H where the current Horner and Potomac Mills lines are.

Posted By: cindileett
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:33pm
Thanks so much to our "slugmaster" for taking the lead on this. And kudos to Aimee (and a friend at work) for the tip on the Harbor lot. Much as it would be convenient for me -- a driver -- to keep picking up folks for the Pentagon from the remaining spaces at Potomac, the "largest line" is just too large for this. Better to leave the downtown folks, whose only other option is an already crammed Horner, with this as their other option, since there are lines for Pentagon and Rosslyn already at Tacketts.

On another note, I received a nice reply from the owner of Rocky Mt. Chocolate. She was not aware of what the Mall was doing and contacted the manager right away to support the commuters, though she got the feeling he didn't care. She was hopeful that Valentines Day would be a big day for her, but the Boycott will likely decrease her sales. Wanted to make sure folks understand that the message is aimed at mall management and not necessarily the businesses at management's mercy. It's important to have an empty parking long at P. Mills on Feb 14, but you can still honor the spirit of the boycott and support small business people like Rocky Mt Chocolate by making your Valentine purchases tomorrow (Saturday) so you can still avoid the mall on Monday the 14th.

Posted By: Jakki
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 5:08pm
My Vote is for OPTION 1. Potomac Mills will accommodate a smaller slug line .

Posted By: dalecityrider
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:41pm
My vote would be for option #1.

Jenny

Posted By: tverdich
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:28pm
Pentagon line should remain at Potomac Mills

Posted By: cpthyland2
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
Both my wife and I have been slugging and picking up from Potomac, 1 goes to Rosslyn and the other to Crystal City, and we both are are planning to go to location 1 for Monday. And encourage those going to Crystal City/Rosslyn to use location 1

Posted By: Fall_Line
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:00pm
Addendum to my earlier message: I took a good look at the Harbor Lot today, and it is less convenient than I had thought. You cannot turn left into onto Harbor to/from Minnieville, and the left turn lane from Minnieville to Telegraph is offset by a curb whose only purpose seems to be preventing drivers from turning right out of Harbor Drive and then left on to Telegraph. Kind of helps explain why that lot doesn't get any use. The logical solution would be to make an entrance right at the Telegraph/Minnieville intersection, allowing people to go in and out at the light. I think VDOT and the county should prioritize doing such a thing, but that doesn't help us for Monday morning.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 6:53am
quote:
Originally posted by soldierguardian

Why can't the abandoned parking lot at Minnieville and Harbor Dr (adjacent to telegraph Rd; near the Tackett's lot)? I estimate that there are around 250 spots there...

I did talk to PWC and OmniRide on this lot. They said it was only 150 spaces (approx.). The problem seems to be that Tackett's Mill already reaches capacity even when Potomac had all 1000 spaces. True, nobody uses the abandoned lot...yet. Some slug have asked why we don't move either the existing Rosslyn or Crystal City line to the commuter lot next to McDonalds and then start using the Harbor lot as overflow.

Anyway, it just seems to me that we already have a parking problem at Tackett's and moving anything there doesn't provide for a long term solution. That's why I was looking at the Dale City or 123 lots because they still have a lot of available parking that we can start using.

Fall_line - you're right. The way they designed the exit onto Minnieville isn't very convenient. The lot too is is pretty bad shape. It is a good 2 block walk from the lot to McDonalds too. I did ask PRTC about providing bus service to it but they kind of said 'no' because it was too hard to pull into and out of the lot when filled.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:07am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

Is it still possible to jump on a Commuteride at Potomac in the afternoon and pay a buck to get to the Dale City lot? Will the buses have capacity for this? Lacking this, the Dale City lot is not viable.

Bob, good question. I can ask PRTC/OmniRide if this is possible. Actually, PRTC has been very helpful but I do not know if they can react fast enough to put together a "shuttle" by Monday.

Just for the record, I personally called the management of Potomac Mills and asked for a two week extension on the deadline to allow us time to get organized. I was not successful.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:16am
quote:
Originally posted by wkdrns01

This is a mess. I think the local government with businesses should talk to resolve this problem. How about Strayer University parking lot in Potomac? Can commuters park there?

You are right...this is a mess. I appreciate your comments and am trying to make the best out of a very bad situation. Leaving the Pentagon line at Potomac may be a problem because it is such a large line. With carpoolers/vanpools using some of the 275 spaces there just won't be enough to accomodate the existing Pentagon slugs. The 275 spaces are full by around 6:45 am. So, a large portion of the Pentagon slugs will get displaced if left at Potomac, but with no where to go - Horner is full, Tackett's is full, etc.

There just aren't many options.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Fall_Line

I work downtown and live in Montclair. Currently I slug from Tacketts to Rosslyn and metro the rest of the way (that's the best option given my usual lot arrival time of 7:45-8:00). I suspect the Tacketts lot will fill very early starting Monday.

Thank you for presenting Options. I prefer Option 1, as I would like to see greater utilization of the Gemini Lot. However, I would suggest that the Gemini Lot cover downtown riders instead of Crystal/Rosslyn/Pentagon. My rationale for this suggestion is that current bus PM capacity to Gemini from Rosslyn is insufficient to cover slugs who may be "trapped" at Rosslyn in the evenings.

I liked the suggestion above that Potomac Mills become "Pentagon-only." My suggestion for Crystal/Rosslyn overflow riders & drivers is to begin using the Harbor Drive lot at the intersection of Telegraph and Minnieville. That is a very short drive from Tackett's, and actually a bit more convenient for drivers using the Horner Road exit to avoid 123 traffic. I would also like to see the county investigate the status of the "Tackett's Village" property right next to the Tackett's lot. It appears to be a beautiful and completely unused parking lot, and the property is for sale.

There is of course some un-utilized capacity for downtown slugs to park at the "Hechingers" lot (and I've been doing this long enough to remember the Hechingers building there). Though coming from Montclair, this lot, and the 123 lot (as profiled in Option 2) are a last resort for me.

For myself, I am planning to the Gemini lot a try Monday morning; I'll take a a ride to where-ever, or catch the Bus if need be. I very much hope drivers will start to make that lot an option.

-Aimee

Aimee,
Thanks for your comments which are very helpful. As I was comparing the bus service to each lot, it became apparent that Rosslyn slugs only had 4 a.m. and 4 p.m buses. Crystal City was better with around 11 a.m buses and 10 p.m. Of course, Pentagon slugs had around 33 a.m and 41 p.m options. It's not the best answer, but when I slugged from Rosslyn and had to work late, I had to catch the Metro to the Pentagon to catch the bus.

As for your other comment on Harbor Drive lot, yes over the next month or so, we may have to start using that as overflow. A few slugs have suggested that we split the Rosslyn and Crystal City lines and move one to the McDonlds lot. When it reaches capacity, then we overflow to the Harbor lot. This is kind of what happened just as the new Minnieville commuter lot was built many years ago. The slug line remained at the McDonalds lot and then when the lot was full, the line slowly shifted to Minnieville. So, depending on when the lot filled determined where the slug line was.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:35am
quote:
Originally posted by Cplace

I noticed the K-mart lot was left out will that be left for over-flow then? Anyways Dale City commuter lot works fine for me. Just need to know if the lines will be split up and designated to different areas in the lot. Kudos for coming up with a plan, since the county wasn't much help.

Thanks for the input. Actually the K-mart lot was initially the first choice but then I learned that there are were only arond 80 available spaces. The lot is already used by a number of other commuters. So, we were going to max out that lot in no time. Too bad that location did not have more parking.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:47am
quote:
Originally posted by dwyorkster

The news stories have indicated that the county was in discussion with PTRC and other private properties near Potomac Mills to come up with other options. I understand one of those discussions is with First Baptist Church (at Minnieville and PW Parkway) where they have a large parking lot. A decision is expected in the next few/several days, but, of course, the county's discussions did not really begin soon enough to get everything in place by Monday. Just FYI in case that's a potential game-changer in the next several days/weeks.

Yes, the county is close to making a deal but it may not come fast enough. As soon as the Potomac Mills announced the reduction in spaces they started looking for alternatives. I know, because I spoke with them (PWC) weeks ago and we discussed the different privat parking lots/churches/etc. Anyway, even though the negotiations are almost complete any new parking spaces may not be available for use until the end of the month or maybe early March.

Even if we move Pentagon/Rosslyn/Crystal City to the Dale City lot, we can sitll use the new commuter parking to expand slugging.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:20am
"As for your other comment on Harbor Drive lot, yes over the next month or so, we may have to start using that as overflow. A few slugs have suggested that we split the Rosslyn and Crystal City lines and move one to the McDonlds lot. When it reaches capacity, then we overflow to the Harbor lot. This is kind of what happened just as the new Minnieville commuter lot was built many years ago. The slug line remained at the McDonalds lot and then when the lot was full, the line slowly shifted to Minnieville. So, depending on when the lot filled determined where the slug line was.

You know this is a great idea, I think no matter what we do with the parking situation, Tackett's is going to get full a lot quicker than it has been. Splitting the Rosslyn & Crystal City lines is a great idea as that lot is overcongested and the way the Rosslyn/Crystal line is set up is sometimes a mess and hard to get out of the lot because of the backup of cars sitting and waiting for one or the other blocking getting out. Moving one or the other over to the McDonald's lot really wouldn't be that big of a deal for drivers nor riders.. the only issue being one or the other wouldn't have the option of going to the Pentagon in lieu of their destination and then taking the Metro. They are split at Horner so I think splitting them at Tackett's/McDonald's lot is a great idea to help ease what the situation will certainly become.

My vote would probably be that Crystal City be the one that moves. Rosslyn people seem to be willing to pick up Rosslyn or Pentagon, whereas Crystal City drivers usually have enough people waiting they don't have a need to switch to pick up Pentagon.

Jenny

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 12:26pm
New Slug Map for Dale City Lot!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dale+city+commuter+lot&hnear=Lake+Ridge,+VA&view=map&msa=0&msid=216629350127471298071.00049c18748c4399b65f3&ll=38.646485,-77.341497&spn=0.001931,0.003439&t=h&z=18

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 10:15pm
quote:

New Slug Map for Dale City Lot!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dale+city+commuter+lot&hnear=Lake+Ridge,+VA&view=map&msa=0&msid=216629350127471298071.00049c18748c4399b65f3&ll=38.646485,-77.341497&spn=0.001931,0.003439&t=h&z=18

Sounds great! I hope people come visit the site over the weekend, I was surprised the link said only 25 views.. still not sure people are realizing the impact this is going to have come Monday AM. I'll be stopping by to pick up slugs from this lot to go to Crystal City both Mon & Tue (I normally do not drive but will be those days), I'll be by about 7:20.. be there! :-)

Jenny

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:17am
Jenny,
Thanks for the help and please spread the word. This is going to be tough on Monday. Later this morning I will have a flyer to download and distribute. I will be out there too!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:19am
Are the county reps going to be out there handing out the flyers? It indicated they'll be handed out (presumably at Potomoc), but was just curious who would be doing this. Maybe if some see this today they can help spread word at their churches. I posted the link on Inside Nova on Facebook and on the comments made in their on-line posts in hopes anyone reading those may see them.

Jenny

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:16am
Jenny,
Thanks! Every little bit helps. I have asked for help from PWC and PRTC. I am not sure how much manpower they can put towards this. Also, Potomac Mills said they would help pass out flyers.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:16am

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HAD OUT FLYERS!!! Even if you spend 10 minutes handing this out it helps! You don't need to volunteer all day!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:21am
Just a quick question about Potomac Mills. . . will the slugline remain in the same place for the 14/18/L'Enfant line? Thank you for putting so much time and effort into this for all the sluggers and drivers!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 1:32pm
A couple of comments. I agree with option 1. However, my gut feeling is that the bus riders are going to take over Potomac Mills, basically killing it as a slug location since there will be inadequate parking even for one line. This is especially true since it seems that the bus riders get there so early. I hope that isn't the case.

Also, no one answered my question about paying a buck to hop on the PRTC bus to get to the Dale City lot from Potomac Mills. Can one still do this? Can one pay in cash or does one need a Smartrip card?

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 2:51pm

Admin,

Thank you very much for taking the lead in this. Everyone was looking for someone to provide the direction for Monday morning and this is what we needed. Not everyone is going to like the suggested moves, but until the dust settles, at least most people will know where they need to go. My concern is with the above suggested option is that the 275 spaces at Potomac Mills will be filled before 7:00 between the bus parking, car poolers and van poolers. What happens then? It would have been nice to address a line for downtown DC for those of us who don't start work until later.

Again, thank you so much for taking the lead on this.

Posted By: tullylo
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 3:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

A couple of comments. I agree with option 1. However, my gut feeling is that the bus riders are going to take over Potomac Mills, basically killing it as a slug location since there will be inadequate parking even for one line. This is especially true since it seems that the bus riders get there so early. I hope that isn't the case.

Also, no one answered my question about paying a buck to hop on the PRTC bus to get to the Dale City lot from Potomac Mills. Can one still do this? Can one pay in cash or does one need a Smartrip card?

Yes, you can take the Omni Ride commuter bus. You can pay cash or use your smartrip card. If you pay cash it's $1.20. If you use your smartripcard it's the normal commuter fare of $5.25. I always try to carry $1 bills and change so that I can save. I slug from 14th. Lots of times I'll catch a ride into Horner, beat the commuter bus on the highway, and then pick up the commuter bus for for $1.20 at Horner to where my car is (Dale City commuter lot as in your example).

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 8:18pm
Fed Up,
You may be right in that the 275 might not even accomodate the 14th/18th/L'Enfant slugs.

If so, the next step will be to move that line to the 123 lot. Trying to move it to Dale City would just be too much for that lot.

I know 123 is not the best design, but it does put the 14th street slugs close to Old Hechingers which is good. Once Old Hechingers fills, then the line can shift to the 123 lot.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 8:21pm
Brenfromva,
To answer your question, I'm not sure, but it could move to an area within the 275 designated area. For now, I would suggest just leaving it where it currently is. There is going to be enough confusion tomorrow as it is without another change.

This is going to be painful tomorrow but hopefully, everybody will be understanding as we work through this.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:00pm
This kind of puts a lot of drivers and riders who live around Rt 1 between Opitz and the Port Potomac/Eagles Point in a bad situation; 234 lot is not a viable option.

Posted By: Danielle
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:25pm
If we decide to slug from the Dale City Lot to Pentagon.. will there be a p.m Dale City line at the pentagon to get back to our cars?

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 11:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by Danielle

If we decide to slug from the Dale City Lot to Pentagon.. will there be a p.m Dale City line at the pentagon to get back to our cars?

Theoretically there would be no line to "Pentagon" any longer from crystal city, rosslyn, nor Pentagon instead it would be to "Dale City" - or as a backup you could always slug to Horner and get on the bus, it looks like it takes about 20 min for the bus to get to that lot (which is about how long it takes in traffic it seems like anyway even if you are driving yourself). Though for those that don't live in that area it could be a bit out of their way,.. but perhaps others that normally go to Horner or Tackett's will begin slugging and picking up and driving back from there.

Jenny

Posted By: mseboni
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:20am
Potomac Mills closing has effected Horner Road commuter lot greatly.
If drivers would pick up 3 people automatically that would help. We need one another. Show your brotherly love.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:32am
The Pentagon line at Horner appears to be longer than what I remember the last few times I picked up slugs there...left my house (near Neabsco Rd) about ten minutes earlier than normal to make up for the extra 5-10 minutes to get to Horner rd. Uneventful, really, but let's see what is in store for tomorrow...

Posted By: JustALilSlug
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:44am
I just used the Dale City lot to Rosslyn with great success. Sad that we got such short notice. I just found out about the Dale City lot being used as a slug lot this morning on the news. However, I'm pleased at the fact that I was able to park and hop in a car immediately. There are prtc workers out there to help out both drivers and sluggers. The signs for Rosslyn and Crystal City are a little confusing. They are 2 separate lines but the sign made it seen as one in which the prtc worker fixed I believe.

There were many cars for pentagon and crystal city waiting for sluggers. Sluggers I encourage you to utilize this lot if its feasible.
there were still ample parking even after I parked at 7:20a.

The test will be whether not I can get home in the pm without having to catch the bus.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:45am
Well I don't know if it's because I left early in lieu of the fact there weren't many spots at PM anymore but I picked up 2 bus riders at Dale City, no slugs were there yet. But I got there at 6:30 so I probably could have gone to Horner. I'm just worried slugs won't show up to Dale City and then have to go out to Horner when it's too late. If anyone went there and there were slugs can you post what time they were there? My one rider though did say she'd be happy if a slug line started there, it'd help her out a lot. Hopefully this plan picks up I had no issues going from Dale City lot to HOV possibly because the slug line hasn't picked up yet but all was good this morning at 6:30.

Posted By: ClaudiaS
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:04am
Every line at Horner road was very long today. Additionally there lot was full prior to 7 am, which probably means tomorrow the lot will be full by 6:30 - 6:45 am. There really needs to be an alternative best option for riders and sluggers who used Potomac Mills, a lot preferably close to Potomac Mills BUT NOT HORNER as Horner is already at capacity!

Posted By: ClaudiaS
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:20am
quote:

Admin,

Quick question. Why was the commuter lot on Gemini Way selected rather then the KMart lot? Your poll is indicating many more people prefer KMart and I believe there is one other lot that has many more votes then the Gemini Way location.

Thanks

Posted By: annettedeleon
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:23am
I commute to 14th Street and having learned that this line was still in effect at Potomac Mills left my house at 6:30 am which is about 20 minutes earlier than I usually leave. I live 1.4 miles away and this is about a 3 - 4 minute drive on a slow day. The parking lot was full! I was told I could not park. I don't know where I would've parked if I were taking the bus. I had to drive home and ask my son to bring me to the Mall. We did that and there was a lot of confusion with the 14th Street line. Fortunately I did get a ride by a driver who was getting ready to leave the lot because he was told to go to a different location for 14th street. There were cars lined up in the Rosslyn/Crystal City line so it was all a bit confusing. I'll have my son take me tomorrow but if this doesn't clear up then I think the 275 parking spots is really going to those taking the bus, not for the 14th/18th Street line.

Posted By: TIKslug
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:24am
Just some quick observations this morning:
Arrived at Potomac to pick ip slugs going to DC at roughly 6:15. My second rider said when he parked there were only 2 spots left.
Also there was still a line of slugs going to Rosslyn and crystal city.

Posted By: pentagonslug74
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:25am
At 630 this mornging a majority of sluggers at the Dale City lot, who were present at the time took the PRTC. The line for the bus was extremely longer than normal. One person mentioned to me that they were waiting for rides for 30 mins and only two cars have come through. So like them I took the PRTC.

Also talked to a few people who used to pick up Potomac and they mentioned that the Dale City lot was out of the way or an inconvenience, and they that they would rather go to Horner. And as previously mentioned by 645(when I got there) Horner was at it's max capacity

I think the Dale City lot is a good option, but there are alot of riders out there that do not want to go out of there way to get there. I believe the same may hold true for the evening ride home.

Posted By: tjam0499
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:56am
I have been reading this site for a couple years and with all of the changes going on I've decided to finally create an account. I think the proposed chages are great. I decided to go to 234 today and the line was too long. Given the fact that is is Monday I can only imagine how long the line will be during Tuesday-Thursday. By breaking the lines up there will be more space availbale at Potomac Mills. I slug to 14th street, but tomorrow im going to Dale City Commuter Lot because im sure Potomac Mills will be packed by 6:30. These chages are very frustrating, but if we all work together we can get thru them.

Posted By: lilmac25
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:11am
I had not heard of the changes.... I slug into Rosslyn and I got to the Potomac Mills lot at 6:15am and there were only a couple parking spots left. I noticed that the DC line was much longer than normal (now I know why).

HOWEVER, Dale City is out of the way for me (so is Horner). I will continue to use the mall until the drivers dry up. In speaking with my driver, she said that the other options were also an inconvenience and would stick with picking up for Rosslyn at the mall.

These "options" are not going to work unless there is better communication AND a better option, especially for those that "might" have to slug to a different lot in hopes of taking a bus to the (other) lot that I slugged out of.

WHAT HAPPENED TO 234??? I live right off of 234. When that lot expanded, I was out there in the mornings for two weeks handing out flyers to try and get drivers to pick up in Rosslyn. I did it again over the next two months on Fridays (my day off). I tastefully placed a flyer box on the stop sign several times (where is the "Rosslyn" pick-up sign???), but it was removed almost immediately. While drivers were waiting, I was talking with them. They were all confused about the afternoon Rosslyn line and many said that they were hesitant to pick up in Rosslyn because there was no official signs. Where is the push to get the passengers and drivers to use the 234 lot, especially to get drivers to pick up in the evening for 234? This is a viable option and one that needs much more attention. We, as sluggers, can only do so much. Word will only spread if there is positive action. Pushing drivers/sluggers FARTHER AWAY from I95 is not positive. Putting up better signage at the lots and pick-up points (again, I am talking about Rosslyn) so the drivers can "see" that it is a supported (official) action would be a great/positive step in the right direction.

Until something else is done to resolve this issue, I plan to continue to use the Potomac Mills mall lot. If the drivers dry up, then I will need to explore other options. Dale City and Horner are not one of those options and I am NOT going to pay for bussing and/or extend my commute by waiting for a bus ride to another lot.

Posted By: was_potomac_mills
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:31am
FYI, here's my experience this morning ...
I checked out Potomac Mills at 7:10 am. Looked like all the spaces were full. There were 5 cars in Rosslyn/Crystal City slug line and no riders anywhere in sight.
So I went to the new slugline at the Dale City lot (at Dale Blvd and Minnieville), at 7:20 am. There was some confusion about where to line up, but I was able to pickup two riders for Crystal City, then went up Minnieville to Prince William Parkway to 95 to Crystal City. This only added 10-15 minutes to my commute. Not ideal, but workable.
NOTE: The two riders I picked up were two bus riders. I may have inadvertently taken these riders away from other drivers who waiting for slugs, due to confusion about where the slugline formed.

Slug-lines.com: [1] Thanks for making a decision about how to proceed. No decision is ideal, but I believe this is workable. [2] Please clarify where in the Dale City lot the Rosslyn/Crystal City lines should form. I believe I tried to do as you depicted on your flyer, but two people I spoke to (one wearing PRTC jacket) said that the drivers decided to have the line form elsewhere, i.e., in a back lot. Please update the flyer accordingly. Thanks again!

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
Normally I drive by the Dale City Commuter lot around 7:30 on my way to Pot. Mills to pick up slug riders to L'Efant. This morning, I left my house 15 minutes earlier and because the Pentagon line was moved to this location I decided to pick up slugs there instead. I sat behind five cars and waited for 10 minutes with absolutely no movement. I saw people line up for the bus but did not see anyone lining up to slug to the Pentagon. I have no clue where the Pentagon people are suppose to be and didn't see anyone giving direction. I did see the signs that were put up. I then made arrangements to ride in with a co-worker.

I drove by Pot Mills around 7:30 to see how things were going. I was told that the parking was gone by 6:30. I saw a number of people walking from the Bob Evans lot to Pot Mills as well as from other various locations around the Mall. When I looked at the line of cars waiting to pick up riders, I would estimate that there were about 15 cars.

Since we now know that Pot Mills is filled by 6:30 (and this is Monday when a lot of govies telecommute), my suggestion is to go to the 123 lot and catch a ride from there. Because this lot is out of the way, I will not go there to pick up riders unless I was certain that I could get slugs. My suggestion to the webmaster is to now include this location on your flyer as an overflow.

Thank you.

Fed Up

Posted By: Sonja Wells
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:06am
Can anybody give us some updates on how it went this morning at either place?

Posted By: 2ndsunshine
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
@Sonya I posted my experience about Pot Mills this morning in another thread. Basically, Pot Mills filled up at 6:30, LOTS of cars waiting. Gemini lot was about 30%. I'm hearing Tacketts was a beast this morning so it sounds like a lot went there.

Posted By: pentagonslug74
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:44am
No matter what options are out there, there will be some sort of inconvenience to people, whether its the Dale Blvd or Horner lot. Just because 234 is covenient for some people, that doesn't mean its convenient for everyone else and the same goes for the other fore mentioned lots. We will somehow have to come to an equal medium somewhere. Keeping the staus quo of well I'm gonna keep doing the same thing until drivers or slugs dry up will not help move this transition along, but instead hold it up.

Also FYI, I have a friend that works for PWC Police Dept, he mentioned that people who have been parking in undesignated lots, such as Bob Evans, burger king etc will be ticketed / and or towed. He also said that this will not take effect for a couple of days, so that commuters can have a little time to figure this out.

Posted By: BobNoo
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:55am
Pick up to Rosslyn. I was at Dale City Commuter Lot (DCCL or DCL) at Gemini at 620. About 5 folks in Rosslyn line all the way to the back. Said they had been there since 555 and I was the first. Lot of spaces. I normally slug and would use this if I knew I could go back there in evening.

Posted By: lilmac25
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:00am
There have been quite a few of us trying to do something about the 234 lot (even complaining) for over six months! If nothing has been resolved at that lot (at least for Rossyln slugs), what makes you think anything is going to be resolved at the mall (Dale City, Horner, etc.) any time soon?
If this much energy/effort was put into ALL of the other little problems, this big problem will not be a problem at all. I understand that you can't please all of the people.... But this fix is a band-aid on an open chest wound with a shoe salesman performing the operation! I do not see it going away any time soon, certainly not in the next couple weeks.

Posted By: dburkart
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:11am
I was probably one of the Five at Dale City on Gemini behind Giants waiting for a ride to Rosslyn --I waited about 20min before I got a ride. Hoping I can get back there tonight, but I will try again tomorrow and hopefully activity will pick up. I know it doesn't work for a lot of people but for those who can lets give it a try.

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:16am
I slugged in as usual from Tackett's, but arrived about an hour earlier than usual at 7:30am, just in case - didn't want to risk not finding parking, but there were still plenty of spaces left at that time. We ended up riding with a driver who used to use the Pot Mills lot, who says he plans to continue picking up at Tackett's Mill.

This morning went well for me, but I'm curious to know what times each lot fills up for the rest of the week.

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:29am
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaS
Admin,

Quick question. Why was the commuter lot on Gemini Way selected rather then the KMart lot? Your poll is indicating many more people prefer KMart and I believe there is one other lot that has many more votes then the Gemini Way location.

Thanks

I'm not Admin - but I was at the Town Hall last week.

According to PWC Transportation/Board members, there are only 90 spots in that lot, and about 60 are already in use by car/van poolers. There also is no bus service there, nor plans to add any.

So unless Kmart is in talks w/ PWC to lease some of their spaces, it won't work. PWC was mum about who they are in talks with for spaces, other than 4-5 folks, and hope to have deals in 2wk-30 days (or more).

Posted By: mrstrina
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:44am
DC lines out of PM will not work!! I knew this last week when it was suggested, 275 spaces is far too few. DC slugs and drivers need to go to 123/95--it's the only option (a bad option) but the spaces are there. Pentagon and Rosslyn/CC are good to stay at Gemini. I personally went to PRTC and caught bus after arriving on the PM scene around 7:45 (my normal time). I never thought I could get a spot at that time

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:54am
Just another reminder for everyone to make 5 or 10 copies of the new flyer to distribute to drivers (or slugs) this afternoon. I am sure a lot of the drivers still have no idea what is going on. We need to rapidly increase the awareness or this thing.

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by mrstrina

DC lines out of PM will not work!! I knew this last week when it was suggested, 275 spaces is far too few. DC slugs and drivers need to go to 123/95--it's the only option (a bad option) but the spaces are there. Pentagon and Rosslyn/CC are good to stay at Gemini. I personally went to PRTC and caught bus after arriving on the PM scene around 7:45 (my normal time). I never thought I could get a spot at that time

123 isn't an option unless you live on that side of town. I drop my son off near Minieville & Cardinal - I cannot afford to drive cross-town (again, as I live off Rt1 but my son's school of 4 yrs addresses his special needs). To reach the 123 lot from Dale City = Rt1 (clogged), Old Bridge w/ everyone else (clogged, might as well stop at Hechinger's), or I-95 (in which case, I might as well keep puttering northward with my choice of music & volume & breakfast in-hand).

I think Gemini will end up being an overflow for DC folks after Potomac, Horner & Tackett's fills up, depending on where the driver starts from.

Posted By: DaleCitySlug
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:35pm
I normally use Horner Road to go to Crystal City, but alternate between riding and driving. I rode this morning. With the Potomac Mills reduction I knew that Horner might be a little more busy then normal. I was there about 10-15 mins sooner then normal, at 6:10 am and found that while there were some spots available, it was much more full then normal. I also noticed that the Crystal City (and Rosslyn for that matter) lines had many more people standing in them then usual.
When there are long lines like these, please try and pick up an extra slug and be HOV-4.
ALSO, don't forget to sign up for the Guaranteed Ride Home Program if you haven't already. Could come in handy with all these changes.

I am driving tomorrow and will give the Dale City lot a try.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 1:03pm
I got to PM about 7:10 this morning. Lot was full and I was about the fifth car in the line for 14th/18th street. I sat for 10 mins. but managed to get two slugs (one came from another lot and the other was dropped off). I think PM knows that people are going to get tired of trying to park and slug from there and will give up and go elsewhere. Too bad, that really was convenient for so many drivers/sluggers.

Posted By: DEM4
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 2:39pm
My co-worker stated that the church members voted on the decision last night. Its a "YES" but probably won't start until plans/rules are worked out with the county! So, may be March???

quote:
Originally posted by dwyorkster

Posted By: solarcells
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 3:08pm
Over time I have moved around to different lots as my schedule, office location, and the specific parking lots and slug dynamics change. Currently, I drive about 18 miles one way to get to the lot I use and pass at least 4 other lots on my way with no complaints. I'm happy with getting to and from DC "by any means possible" as long as I can avoid the 95, 395, and 66 parking lots. Flexibility is the key. If you don't have the flexibility, you will have to find another method.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:33pm
I was successful Slugging from Crystal City to Dale city!!

Posted By: kingdon777
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:21pm
Arrived to Horner Rd this morning around 6:30. The lot had a tremendous more amount of vehicle activity this morning! I was a slug rider to Crystal City the line was probably 25 people deep when i got in line about 6:35. Waited about 15 mins til i got in a car. Much longer wait time for a Monday. I also noticed the Pentagon bus leaving Horner at 6:48ish was standing room only!

Would help if drivers picked up extra slugs when possible (HOV-4). Gonna drive tomorrow bcuz its gonna b crazy!!!!

Posted By: KoolnVA
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:31pm
I live near the Dale City Lot and would be willing to park there if and when we are organized to get a ride back there in the afternoons from the Pentagon. I'm just not willing to take the bus back as an option. It is not convenient for me and it's too expensive. I can see maybe getting picked up from there in the mornings, but are drivers really going to be willing to take you back there? I think it's too far off the 95 corridor for that to happen, but I hope I'm wrong.

Posted By: ddabney67
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm
I used to park in IKEA when the lot filled up. The lot cops would watch me everyday but couldn't say jack. Worked for me....

Posted By: JustALilSlug
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:42pm
I slugged back from Rosslyn to Dale City lot today. it wasn't too bad. I lucked up and got a ride with someone who knew nothing about the dale city slug line but lived around the corner from the lot. Tomorrow I'm holding up a Dale City sign as I hope it would get me a ride back to my car quicker. I know there are people who drive who live in dale city.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:24pm
I showed up at the Dale City lot about 7:25, was already a car waiting for someone but the PRTC told me she was waiting for a different area and to line up Crystal City one more isle over. Waited a bit and then went and asked who she was waiting on slugs for, she was also waiting for Crystal City. The PRTC said no riders had been there "for awhile" - waited until about 7:35 and headed over to Tackett's, only about a 5 minute wait for riders. Neither of my riders knew about the change, nor where the lot was located. Neither seemed interested either. :-)

As I was leaving Tackett's (7:55 ish) there seemed to be more flurry of activity than normal with lots of cars flowing in, lot wasn't full yet but fuller than normal on a Monday. Entire HOV seemed lighter than normal, and I even found parking in Crystal City (highly abnormal), so I suspect tomorrow will be a different story.

I will be picking up again from Dale City lot tomorrow to drive in, but then am hoping to begin slugging there regularly starting Wed. If I can't get a ride home I plan to get a ride to Horner and then take PRTC from there to the lot (it is only $1.20 and a 20 min ride, which is about how long it might take you in someone's car anyway to get there once you reach Horner), since I live in Dale City this lot seems like it'll work well for me.

Jenny

Posted By: eggerskf
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by lilmac25

I had not heard of the changes.... I slug into Rosslyn and I got to the Potomac Mills lot at 6:15am and there were only a couple parking spots left. I noticed that the DC line was much longer than normal (now I know why).

HOWEVER, Dale City is out of the way for me (so is Horner). I will continue to use the mall until the drivers dry up. In speaking with my driver, she said that the other options were also an inconvenience and would stick with picking up for Rosslyn at the mall.

These "options" are not going to work unless there is better communication AND a better option, especially for those that "might" have to slug to a different lot in hopes of taking a bus to the (other) lot that I slugged out of.

WHAT HAPPENED TO 234??? I live right off of 234. When that lot expanded, I was out there in the mornings for two weeks handing out flyers to try and get drivers to pick up in Rosslyn. I did it again over the next two months on Fridays (my day off). I tastefully placed a flyer box on the stop sign several times (where is the "Rosslyn" pick-up sign???), but it was removed almost immediately. While drivers were waiting, I was talking with them. They were all confused about the afternoon Rosslyn line and many said that they were hesitant to pick up in Rosslyn because there was no official signs. Where is the push to get the passengers and drivers to use the 234 lot, especially to get drivers to pick up in the evening for 234? This is a viable option and one that needs much more attention. We, as sluggers, can only do so much. Word will only spread if there is positive action. Pushing drivers/sluggers FARTHER AWAY from I95 is not positive. Putting up better signage at the lots and pick-up points (again, I am talking about Rosslyn) so the drivers can "see" that it is a supported (official) action would be a great/positive step in the right direction.

Until something else is done to resolve this issue, I plan to continue to use the Potomac Mills mall lot. If the drivers dry up, then I will need to explore other options. Dale City and Horner are not one of those options and I am NOT going to pay for bussing and/or extend my commute by waiting for a bus ride to another lot.

I'm sorry, when I started slugging 10 years ago, it was the non-involvement of government which m=enabled slugging to work. That not with standing, do not look for official signs anywhere...this is slugging, put up your sign, create a movement and slugging prevails over capitalism!!

I feel your pain and fristration, but slugs gotta make this work out. Drivers need slugs, slugs need drivers...hold up your sign and get to work.

Sincerely,

Ken

Posted By: kingdon777
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:52am
Arrived to Horner Rd lot this Tues morning at 6:30 am and once again there was a flurry of vehicle activity. Although there are more vehicles parking, there is also a much more abundance of drivers. The line for Crystal City was 20-30 deep but drivers were lined up to pick up riders. The wait in slug line was no more than 5-6 mins. Appears the lot will fill much faster so get there early! Also, noticed a lot of drivers in wrong slug line, be sure to ask driver where they are going before you depart. If you drive, would help if you take an xtra slug rider while we transition.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:48am
A lot of slugs in the Pentagon line again at the Horner Rd lot this morning at around 6:25AM. Drove right up, picked up, and headed down the highway...traffic was little backed up at the Pentagon exit today, compared to yesterday, though.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:54am
I went to Dale City lot this morn got slugs after a few minutes hope it picks up b/c i like getting slugs from there.If it doesn't though whats the horner road pentagon look like at 640/650?

Posted By: dieselvw
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:06am
I vote for option #1- using dale city lot for pentagon/crystal city/rosslyn slug lines.

Question: Are the return pentagon lines going to change? Yesterday, drivers seemed to still only pick up for potomac mills/horner rd...

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:13am
I mean I think drivers are going to go where they know. If dale city slugs make a sign I really believe they will be picked up and then based on where people are picking them up at, they will move there. At least at the pentagon I think the best choice for them to line up at is horner road/potomac mills because that's more likely than not where dale city drivers go anyways. Not to mention most of the people parking at dale city are former potomac mills riders so makes sense. Just make a sign for dale city until the transition is over. That's my thoughts anyways.

Posted By: KennyP
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
My question is, Where are the sluggers going for pick-up after 7:15 to 14th, 18th, or LaFant Plaza? We have heard the horror stories for those arriving or unable to find parking after 6:30 at each location, but what's the story after 7AM. I saw that Fox 5 stated Monday morning that 14th, 18th, and LeFant Plaza would continue to use Potomac Mills. However, that still fills up at 6am, as it seems. So, if anyone could tell me that they slug to 14th, 18th, or LaFant after 7, and the location of pick-up, it would be greatly appreciated. Im sure that Im not the only one with this question. For two days, I have been riding around, Kmart, PM, Dale City, to find a ride or to pick-up riders to 14th or Lafant. The information provided for early sluggers is appreciated, but if you could provide information for those "later morning" commuters would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

Posted By: DrChen
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:37am
Admin

I think it would also help if new maps and new info be updated in the morning and afternoon slugging locations info web pages so people would know what really is going on if they look there. The pages still show old info. I'm assuming since Potomac mills is no longer a Pentagon return destination. Maybe where the afternoon pickup area for Potomac Mills/Horner should now be Dale City/Horner? I know many people have asked this already about how to get back to Dale City lot in the afternoon and whether to pick up Dale City riders at the Old pick up spot at Pentagon for Potomac Mills.

Posted By: dieselvw
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:45am
My hubby and I both slug (usually from horner since the bus takes a while to go through all the stops in dale city before getting on 95)- I go to pentagon and he goes to crystal city- we are going to try slugging tomorrow from the dale city lot since horner was a mad house both yesterday and today (and we live off cardinal drive so dale city lot is closer for us). I hope it works out! For all the drivers out there- keep giving it a go for a little while- pretty soon people will be tired of waiting in the huge lines at horner and start looking for other options. I will try to print out some flyers and post at the pentagon slug lines where the old bus stops are- think it's a great idea for both sluggers and drivers to share the flyers.

Posted By: was_potomac_mills
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:51am
I picked up two slugs at Dale City lot at 7:15 am this morning for Crystal City, and plan to continue picking up slugs from Dale City lot at 7:10-7:15 am each morning. I will gladly bring slugs back from Crystal City to Dale City lot in the afternoons. The Dale City lot works well.

Posted By: dizzykat22192
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:52am
I got the very LAST parking space at 8:15 at Old Hechingers - we are going to be in the same boat as Horner - full by 7:30/8:00. With the 123 lot (down the hill) underutilized I think there will be no choice but to form a line there and at Dale City. Actually there's no reason why there shouldn't be lines at every lot. Is this a ploy by PRTC to increase ridership? They've sent us to the two lots with no lines - hmmmm? I already arrive at my office 1/2 hour early due to parking limitations now I'll have to arrive an hour early or take a later bus - both options unacceptable. Can we please get lines at 123 and Dale City - maybe we shouldn't restrict where they are going - like at Horner Road where there are multiple lines? Oh and while we're at it how about boycotting Potomac Mills..... I'm open to car pool from Dale City lot - dizzykat22192@yahoo.com

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:03am
where are you slugging to? There is a line for pentagon and crystal city at dale city lot. I really hope it picks up because I think it's a great lot to pick up at very convenient. I'm sure if another line needs to be added it can be. 123 is just too far out of the way for me so maybe people who pick up and drop off there can add suggestions for lines there or outline what lines are already at 123 for pick up.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:40am
To Admin: Are there any lots that do not have slug lines presently formed. We should take this opportunity (rather than waiting for the next crises) to start lines at ALL commuter lots. I'm still convinced this is an effort by PRTC to increase ridership - but if there's no place to park you can't slug or ride the bus - lose/lose.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:44am
I go to 14th Street - 123 could be used as an overflow of Old Hechingers - going to the same places, just later. Thanks I'll try Dale City tomorrow.
quote:
Originally posted by Cplace

where are you slugging to? There is a line for pentagon and crystal city at dale city lot. I really hope it picks up because I think it's a great lot to pick up at very convenient. I'm sure if another line needs to be added it can be. 123 is just too far out of the way for me so maybe people who pick up and drop off there can add suggestions for lines there or outline what lines are already at 123 for pick up.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:46am
Although it is not the most convenient lot, it would appear that once Pot Mills and Hechingers lots are full that the 14th/18th Street and L'Enfant lines have no choice but to move to 123. Instead of everyone driving around all over the place, just go to 123. I normally take riders to L'Efant, but because I don't know where to find a L'Efant line after 7:00, I'm opting to take riders to the Pentagon, which is not very time efficient for me.

Posted By: cksavage
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:52am
Dale City commuter lot is not a bad pickup point. Got there around 6:30 and found Rosslyn slugs along back lane. I plan to drive and slug from there. When I drive I'll be looking for riders home in Rosslyn slug line marked Horner/Potomac Mills/Tackets Mill. Usually leave around 4 - 4:30. Sluggers might consider driving 1X weekly in order to get the lines going and attract more drivers from both Dale City lot and Rosslyn line back to Dale City lot.

As a long time slugger we have to work to make it work. Spread the word to both drivers and riders.

Thanks to LeBlanc for all his efforts to make this transition!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net