Print Page | Close Window

Dale City Lot

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5093
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 4:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dale City Lot
Posted By: csanyer
Subject: Dale City Lot
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:21pm
For what it's worth, my 3-person carpool has been parking at Potomac Mills becasue we like the option to pick up slugs or slug back if someone is out. We plan to park at Dale City and I'd like the option to pick up slugs to Pentagon or Rosslyn if needed. The 123 lot is just too inconvenient for any of us because of the bad traffic on 95 and Old Bridge to get back into the Montclair area.

Chris

Replies:
Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:52am
Chris,
Thanks for the input. It appears as though the Dale City lot is the best option. Not perfect, but the best we have at the moment.

I like your comments about being a carpool but using the slug lines too. Some people prefer traditional carpools but what if one of the three is sick,on vaction, etc. Slugs solves that problem!

Posted By: ckenyattas2011
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:40am
This week a lot of people got their cars towed away in Prince William Square and Dale City Kmart parking lot which I was told yesterday. People were getting off from work looking for their cars not knowing that their cars were being towed for illegal parking. Today I parked my car at the Dale City Lot. It was not crowded, everything was organized and it was closer to home. In fact, I even went and got a cup of coffee at Giant. Only the Pentagon,20th street, State Department slug line was there. For now on I will start parking my car at the Dale City Lot so I will not get my car towed for unknown crazy reasons. Hopefully you all do the same. I recommend the Dale City Lot. [8D][^]

C.K.

Posted By: pugmom3
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:22pm
hi. I agree. The Dale City lot is perfect. I am there bright and early and it is 3/4 way empty. I wish more drivers would come to this lot. I just don't know how this can be accomplished. Somehow we need to get the word out...I am going to continue to park at the lot.[:)]

Posted By: ktzmom13
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:13pm
I don't go in until nearly 8:30 a.m. - are there cars/slugs at the Dale City lot then? I work on 18th Street - but would slug into Rosslyn & take Metro then take bus home at night. I have to get my kids to school first.

Posted By: pcr29
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:17pm
I am a slug who has been forced to drive now Tuesday through Thursday due to the popularity at Tacketts lot, this week by 7:45 on those days was a nightmare at Tacketts, I guess is true the goverment really take off on Monday & Friday,
to go to the Dale city lot in the pm you guys take the parkway or take dale blvd? which exit works better?

Posted By: JustALilSlug
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:10pm
Drivers normally take Dale Blvd. Most just take the 2nd split after the 1st dale Blvd exit ramp to go past Wachovia and popeyes. But I have had a driver go towards potomac mills and make a left on gideon then a right on Dale Blvd to avoid the off ramp traffic jam.

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:56am
Bump.

How were the Dale City lines this week? Are there still a lot of people wanting to pick up for Pot. Mills only in the evening? Getting better or worse?

Posted By: HCM
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 8:18pm
Dale City lot this a.m. could have definitely used more riders (especially for CC), seems like lots of folks are willing to pick up there (I'm both a rider and occasional driver).

I personally have found the Dale City lot is the best option for me now that PM's been scaled back.

Posted By: cksavage
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
So far, over the past two weeks, I have failed to find riders to Rosslyn only one day - Tuesday, 22 Feb after a reasonably long wait. I get there around 6:30 AM. The first week, I could find no riders back to DC Commuter Lot, but this week, I've picked up both days in the 4:15 - 4:30 PM time frame. Hopefully, we're getting some momentum going.

Posted By: DaleCitySlug
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
I was at Dale City this morning as a driver around 6:15. I found 1 person to get in the car (who by chance was using Dale City for the first time). Waited more then 20 minutes before deciding to head to Horner. I will try again, and also spread the word on return trips. We told the person I picked up at Horner about Dale City and he had no idea.

Posted By: BobNoo
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 12:59pm
Two articles out today. Great news

http://dalecity.patch.com/articles/additional-commuter-parking-spaces-to-come-in-2012?ncid=wsc-patch-readfullarticle

Posted By: Boo123
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:15pm
With the Potomac Mills uproar, I have basically just gotten back on the bus. Catching it from Dale City/Gemini or 123. At Gemini, when is the slugging happening? It must be much earlier than when I get there at 7:30am. It would be nice if there could be some slugging from that lot down to 8:30am or the like, but I don't think anyone is coming then (neither drivers nor slugs).

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:07am
quote:
Originally posted by Boo123

With the Potomac Mills uproar, I have basically just gotten back on the bus. Catching it from Dale City/Gemini or 123. At Gemini, when is the slugging happening? It must be much earlier than when I get there at 7:30am. It would be nice if there could be some slugging from that lot down to 8:30am or the like, but I don't think anyone is coming then (neither drivers nor slugs).

I have been getting to Gemini at 7:20-7:40 all this week, and have had no problems getting a ride to Pentagon. I work in DC (WNY) so my commute has increased by over 30 min in the morning & 30-60 min in the evening.

The Baptist church, or even Dale City, with DC options would be most helpful. As things stand now & foreseeable future, I might as well start looking for another job as I couldn't afford busing regularly before, and now it's 40+ min longer to get home to boot.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 9:26am
I too have no problem catching a ride from Dale City. I get there between 7:20 and 7:50am.

Pentagon cars line up in the front of the parking lot where the bus stop is. Sluggers should have no problem catching a ride to Pentagon because there are ALWAYS cars there.

Rosslyn/Crystal City line up in the back of the lot to the right where the line of trees are (there's a small Rosslyn/Crystal City sign there).

The longest I've waiting for a ride to Rosslyn was about 5-7 minutes. Thats only because most of the cars coming were going to Crystal City at that time.

Taking the bus isnt an option for me because the bus ride is wayyy too long. From the time I get to the lot until I'm at the door for my job is about 30 minutes (35 if no cars are waiting) using the Dale City Lot. Taking the bus from wherever to wherever is always an hour or more with all of the stops.

Posted By: Boo123
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:22am
Thanks for the info. I will give slugging from Dale City/Gemini another try next week. How do you all like the way the lines are working? I don't know how to insert a picture in these messages (if doable or if one has to proved a link to a website instead), but I had suggested to our Administrator (last week, when it looked like folks were having trouble determining what line was what) that we all queue along the "driveway" that runs into the Comcast property. Slugs queue along the south sidewalk (form the line E to W or outbound) and cars queue up next to them. Similar to what's done at Old Hechinger. Have the car line spillover into the north area of the lot, keeping a break where it crosses the driveway (for any inbound Comcast traffic). A picture would indeed clarify this best. Anyway, I have not heard back from our Administrator. There may be issues about that sidewalk (like Comcast has an easement or something). I do plan to check with VDOT about it. Will post their reply here when/if I get it.

Posted By: JSB
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 2:20pm
As stated by other sluggers morning ride at Dale City between 7am and 730am for Pentagon is very quick. Cars are always waiting. However, return ride to Dale City at Pentagon is still a problem. While drivers may agree to go to Dale City, finding a second slugger to Dale City is not easy.

Posted By: old_timer
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:05am
quote:
Originally posted by JSB

As stated by other sluggers morning ride at Dale City between 7am and 730am for Pentagon is very quick. Cars are always waiting. However, return ride to Dale City at Pentagon is still a problem. While drivers may agree to go to Dale City, finding a second slugger to Dale City is not easy.

This is the lot on Gemini Way (behind the Giant), right? I might use this lot except that there is no designated "official" pickup spot at the Pentagon for the eventing return. I may be wrong, but even the Google Map, Admin put up, does not have a Pentagon pickup spot for this lot. I use the Horner/Potomac Mills Pentagon line and have never heard anyone going to Gemini or Dale City. Where do they pick up at the Pentagon? Is it the Montclare line? Until there is an "official" pickup spot, I don't think I'll try it. [:(]

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:32am
Dale City lot does have a pickup spot for the Pentagon right next to the bus stop. For PM returns at the Pentagon, pickup stop for Horner and Potomac is also designated for Dale City. I do see a few Dale City slugs in the PM at the Pentagon.

Riders are hesitant of parking at Dale City lot due to potential PM return problems. To promote this lot Drivers who have a choice for pickup at Pentagon may ask for Dale City first. That will help decongest other lots as more people will park at this underutilized lot.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:47am
Your best bet is to go to PM/Horner line and just ask for Dale City even if the driver says Horner or Potomac Mills. At Rosslyn I typically make it my point to let drivers know that I'm going to Dale City even if they should out Horner or Potomac. I'm sure you will find someone who either lives near Dale City or just wants to get home and will go to Dale City. If enough slugs start asking for Dale City I'm sure you will get more drivers who are aware and willing to drive there.

Initially it might be a bit frustrating but if we keep being persistent, it will get better.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:37pm
Yes, it will be a problem in the beginning. If you can find a second slug for Dale City in the PM line, it becomes easier as some driver in the line would want to go home early...

Slugs, if you have choice, please try and promote Dale City lot. You don't have to leave at 6:00am in the morning to park at Horner. Dale City lot is good at least until 7:30am

Posted By: tar
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 7:58am
Frustrated at Dale City.
I get to the Dale City lot between 6-6:30am. I think I have gotten (1) ride in this time frame since February 14. I have been giving up and catching the bus. Are there no drivers going to the Pentagon this early from the Dale City lot? I see from other posts that if you get there after 7am there's plenty of drivers, but what about us early folks?

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:21am
Most 6:00a-6:30a slugs/drivers head to Horner. I have seen drivers at Dale City between 7:00am and 7:30am waiting for riders, as by those times Horner is filled and there are no slugs there.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:40am
How are Dale City users finding this location for AM and PM slugging. Many, like me, are not sure of PM return. It is very hard to find in the PM for Dale City, though it is good in the AM. For fully utilizing this and new parking location at the Baptist Chuch, reasonably definitive slugging options are needed.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 1:47pm
I ALWAYS slug back to DCCL from Rosslyn because I KNOW that I can get a ride back from there. I dont know about CC and Pentagon, but in the evenings, no matter where I have to work at that day (Rosslyn or DC) Rosslyn hasnt failed me yet.

I do have to go to about 7-10 cars sometimes before someone says that they'll go there. Every car that I go to, I make it a point to mention that I'm going to Dale City because sometimes someone will say that they will drop me off. But the longest I've ever waited was about 5 minutes to get a ride back to DCCL.

How is it at CC and Pentagon?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 1:57pm
JustALilSlug, how do you find second partner for DCCL? At Pentagon I have noticed people waiting first to find a second rider and then someone willing to go DCCL. What time at Rosslyn is it good for ride back to DCCL?

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 9:32pm
Sometimes I do not have a second DCCL partner. I never thought of waiting for a second rider (thanks for the idea). Most of the time a driver will pick me up for DCCL and take another rider who's going to PM or Horner. But there have been a few times where I was the first DCCL rider and the driver was willing to wait for another DCCL rider (the longest we waited was about 5 minutes).

Tthere have been a few times where, while going down the line, I ran into another rider.

I've gotten to the slug line anywhere between 4pm and 535pm. But I typically get there around 5pm

Posted By: Rossylnslugger
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 11:37am
I have been slugging in and out of DCCL for the last 3 weeks now. I have not had trouble finding a ride to Rossyln. Coming back, I have to ask several cars before getting a ride.

My only problem with DCCL is the lighting, the lot needs more lights. Who can I go to express my concern?

I would like to see this lot becoming as one of the regular lots like Horner and Tackett.

Posted By: Evergreen
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 8:57pm
I'm glad someone else has taken notice to the poor lighting at the Dale City Commuter Lot. I've complained, to no avail, to Supervisor Frank Principi (telephone 703/792-4646). He was also advised about this problem during the first town hall meeting when Potomac Mills was reducing parking space. If you care about preventing vandalism, and leave well before sunrise and/or arrive back at the lot past dark, you have every right to be concerned about the lighting in this lot.

Posted By: slcunningham07
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 9:25am
I slug in the PM from Rosslyn to the Dale City lot and while I've always gotten a ride, sometimes I'm waiting for 15 minutes or longer. Every now and then someone will already be in the line looking for Dale City slugs. Most drivers say no when we say Dale City. I get there between 4:45p and 5p. Sometimes it's just me at first and sometimes there's a line of about 4 or 5 of us. A couple of times I've gotten a ride with someone that will go to two locations.

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 9:56am
I am glad to hear that you have been successful slugging from Rosslyn. Do you also slug to Rosslyn from the DCCL?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net