Print Page | Close Window

Taken Our Lots Back

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5104
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 7:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Taken Our Lots Back
Posted By: lbeck63
Subject: Taken Our Lots Back
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:54pm
We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

Replies:
Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 4:25pm
These lots are owned by the State not the County, so the County cannot enforce parking for county residents only.

Posted By: soldierguardian
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:40am
I don't believe that it would be enforcible or practical. A more practical idea is for the state legislature to pass a law exempting active duty military personnel from the HOV restriction, while in uniform (similar law is on the books for the VA Beach area HOV lanes). That would free up some parking spaces at the commuter lots.

quote:
Originally posted by lbeck63

We need to take our LOTS back from the NON-Prince William residents using the Lots. Its come to my understanding that Rooute 234 and Dumfries other lots are mainly filling up with residents from Stafford, Fredricksburg and Organge Counties folks. Info from PRTC Bus Drivers. They can get there before PW residents because they leaving earlier to get up here, which means at 6:00am in the morning our lots are already full. Hello All Wake UP. I would like to suggest we put pressure of the PW officials to make it to where only PW Residnets can park in our commouter lots. Perhaps we can purchase a sticker that indicates "Slug-Parking Only" once a year. The county would generate additional income. Anyone on aboard with me on this.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:09am
quote:
Originally posted by soldierguardian

I don't believe that it would be enforcible or practical. A more practical idea is for the state legislature to pass a law exempting active duty military personnel from the HOV restriction, while in uniform (similar law is on the books for the VA Beach area HOV lanes). That would free up some parking spaces at the commuter lots.

Reducing the number of cars in the commuter lots by putting more single-occupant vehicles on the HOV is most likely not a good idea. Based on the number of military people who participate in slugging it would probably create a lot of parking spaces in the commuter lots but all those cars would have to be parked somewhere at the end of the commute so I think it just pushes the problem further downstream. I'd like to see people try to get away with parking in travel lanes, medians, traffic islands, emergency vehicle lanes, etc. at the Pentagon! [:D]

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:33am
Canx the HOV exemption for hybrids, replace with exemption for active duty servicemembers...law enforcement officials (such as Metro PD, Park Police, FF County Police, Fed Prot Srvc etc...) are exempt if they are traveling to work.

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

Reducing the number of cars in the commuter lots by putting more single-occupant vehicles on the HOV is most likely not a good idea. Based on the number of military people who participate in slugging it would probably create a lot of parking spaces in the commuter lots but all those cars would have to be parked somewhere at the end of the commute so I think it just pushes the problem further downstream. I'd like to see people try to get away with parking in travel lanes, medians, traffic islands, emergency vehicle lanes, etc. at the Pentagon! [:D]

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:41am
I really doubt that many Stafford Fredricksburg commuters drive up there to park in the morning. The afternoon traffic jams up at Dumfries so why would we want to slug to Prince William in the morning just to get back into traffic in the afternoon when we can go all the way down to Quantico relatively traffic free in HOV? Besides our lots don't fill up until around the 0730 timeframe. Just saying.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:43am
I know several people who drive up from Stafford and park at Horner; don't know about 234. I doubt that Stafford/Fredericksburg residents are having a big impact on parking availability though.

quote:
Originally posted by bnvus

Besides, I really doubt that many Stafford Fredricksburg commuters drive up there to park. The traffic jams up at Dumfries so why would we want to slug to Prince William just to get back into traffic when we can go all the way down to Quantico relativel traffic free in HOV? Besides our lots don't fill up until around the 0730 timeframe.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:44am
Minority and not the majority.

Posted By: mpatoka
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 2:09pm
I was going to start a similar thread asking how someone knows that non-PW county residents are filling up the PW lots after seeing the same accusations in the PMills closure threads. I know there are a few people from Stafford and Fburg that drive up but it makes no logistical sense for the evening commute unless you work really late and have to catch a backup option busride after 7pm.

I live in Stafford and park and slug out of 610 but in the evening usually slug to Horner and then ride home with my wife, who works in Woodbridge, in the main lanes. That ride sucks and easily adds 20 minutes or more than if I slugged straight to 610 due to the short time of just being in the main lane backup before the merge. There is no way people are driving to PW to park when those lots fill up before 7am and the 610 lot usually doesn't fill up until 7:30. And yes, I do drive to and parked at Horner several times per year because I have activities or meetings in Woodbridge in the evening so it is convenient for that reason only.

Everyone complains about the hybrid and law enforcement exemption and is opposed to HOT lanes because it will increase the number of SOVs. Exempting uniformed military will have the exact same effect. Also, where are all these new drivers going to park? The Pentagon now rations and controls the number of parking passes so most new drivers will not be able to park there unless they want to pay $16/day to park at Macy's. I'm sure parking in DC is no different. Not going to happen where it makes a significant difference in the parking spaces.

Unfortunately all the lots are just too small to handle everyone. Telling someone they can't park in state-owned PW county lots is the same as me saying all the FBurg people need to stay out of 610 because they are filling it up.

Posted By: Evergreen
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:46pm
This topic came up at last week's town hall meeting by a number of well outspoken citizens who spoke out. The PW and VDOT reps had little to say in return and said they could not regulate the problem. I disagree that nothing can be done. Personally, I am under the impression PW isn't doing much, as they even disputed that the PRTC commuter bus ridership and commuter lots are 80% used by PW residents, which I don't buy. This problem has been going on a long time - predominantly at Horner. The Rosslyn evening slug line was a classic example: how many times for how many years did I witness drivers refusing to pick up Potomac Mills slugs because they insisted on dropping off slugs no point beyond Horner - they all had the excuse that they had to get back on 95 to drive farther south; dropping off slugs at Potomac was too out of the way in the evening for them. Pressure needs to be put on our PW Board of Supervisors (by calling or writing) to communicate with the Boards of Stafford, Spotsylvania, etc. and VDOT. Seems like those jurisdictions could care less and no wonder - they're also the ones in favor of the HOT lanes.

Posted By: sluggaboo
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:56am
Curious...does anyone know of any discussions on the state or county level to build the parking facilities up (multi-level garages) instead of out? I know it is an expensive option, but the demand is there and it seems to be the most viable solution to the traffic and parking issues we are facing.

Posted By: mpatoka
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:44am
Last fall VDOT was doing a comprehensive study at the 610 lot counting cars, slugs, times, etc and in conversation with one of the gentlemen, he mentioned that building a parking garage was an option being considered. I don't know to what extent VDOT or the counties have progressed on going forward with any options but it is an option being looked at. It would be nice to know more.

Posted By: coachhaws
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:59am
No way should we even think of "purchasing a sticker". We enjoy the freedom of parking, and you are asking to bring government into our slugging system. By having PWC only slugs, we could be charged $100, $200, or even higher for an annual parking pass. You said it yourself . . . wake up earlier folks.

Posted By: ETC
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 10:23am
Build parking garages. Charge a nominal parking fee. Forget about giving ANYONE exemptions. Just because your chosen job is the military doesn't give you any more special privileges than someone who is a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:17am
You love your freedom, right...you're welcome!

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Build parking garages. Charge a nominal parking fee. Forget about giving ANYONE exemptions. Just because your chosen job is the military doesn't give you any more special privileges than someone who is a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen

This topic came up at last week's town hall meeting by a number of well outspoken citizens who spoke out. The PW and VDOT reps had little to say in return and said they could not regulate the problem. I disagree that nothing can be done. Personally, I am under the impression PW isn't doing much, as they even disputed that the PRTC commuter bus ridership and commuter lots are 80% used by PW residents, which I don't buy. This problem has been going on a long time - predominantly at Horner. The Rosslyn evening slug line was a classic example: how many times for how many years did I witness drivers refusing to pick up Potomac Mills slugs because they insisted on dropping off slugs no point beyond Horner - they all had the excuse that they had to get back on 95 to drive farther south; dropping off slugs at Potomac was too out of the way in the evening for them. Pressure needs to be put on our PW Board of Supervisors (by calling or writing) to communicate with the Boards of Stafford, Spotsylvania, etc. and VDOT. Seems like those jurisdictions could care less and no wonder - they're also the ones in favor of the HOT lanes.

We have the same problem in Stafford and Fburg with people dropping off and continuing on farther south....probably more so than PW exits becuse drivers have the benefit of riding the HOV all the way down. I symapathize with you and all others on the parking poblems as it not only applies to PW lots. We share similar problems down south and with the new expansion I am sure we will have even worse problems with parking unless something is done like parking garages. Unfortunately paying to park will probably be the nature of the beast and I believe no one should be exempt. Sorry soldierguardian I like you was military and understand the financial burden it puts upon you living in this high income area. One can only that the transportaion subsidy (smart card) will beadopted for use at these garages to help offset any costs.

Posted By: slug123456789
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:40am
No way would I agree to $$ PAY $$ for a sticker to mark my car as a PW resident. Not a chance. First, the parking situation is what it is. Second, license plates on cars, in my experience, are lettered according to region. Third, if I was going to pay to park in Woodbridge the same amount (possibly) that I would have to pay to park at work, what would be the point? This is supposed to be a free system and the real solution if for those other areas to support commuter lots and for the HOV to extend much farther south!!!! Only then will this problem be fixed. And NO HOT LANES!!!

Posted By: ETC
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:55am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Off-Topic: Yes, I love my freedom and I pay my taxes that pays your salary. I'm an army brat and my father served 2 tours in Vietnam; grandfathers in WWII, etc., etc. But there's no way I would ever look at a civilian and say "Grant me special status because I PROTECT your freedom." Think on that. You choose to be in military thus makes you a professional soldier. I choose to be in the private sector, thus this makes me a professional civilian.

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:09pm
quote:

A military exemption would be an exceptionally bad idea in Northern Virginia - a lot more congestion in the HOV lanes. While this would make more sense down in the Hampton Roads region, where HOV volume is orders of magnitude lower during restricted hours, it would be a trainwreck here.

BTW, there is no HOV exemption for military in Hampton Roads:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/feds-reject-hov-privileges-activeduty-military - http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/feds-reject-hov-privileges-activeduty-military

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:49pm
I'm a military man, w/22 years of service, who can be called up at a moments notice as I have been in the past. Are service members not worthy of a little bit of special treatment for our sacrifices...and I pay plenty of taxes which is used to subsidize many businesses, pay for the roads you and I drive on, pay for schools, ensure the safety standards of automobiles and workplaces, etc...so what were you saying about taxes? What I mentioned was only a suggestion, so there is no need for you to be so petty, hateful/envious.

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Off-Topic: Yes, I love my freedom and I pay my taxes that pays your salary. I'm an army brat and my father served 2 tours in Vietnam; grandfathers in WWII, etc., etc. But there's no way I would ever look at a civilian and say "Grant me special status because I PROTECT your freedom." Think on that. You choose to be in military thus makes you a professional soldier. I choose to be in the private sector, thus this makes me a professional civilian.

Posted By: RetiredMarine
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:27am
Monkey I agree the military exemption would be the wrong way to go in NOVA. I also feel it is wrong for the off duty FBI, Police and any other single riding vehicle to be allowed to use the lanes. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

ETC please never compare what our military men and woman give up to a teacher or a Nurse. The firefight and the Police officers do risk their life's, but it still not the same as our service members. As for your taxes paying our wages, you may want to check with your father as he will hopefully be able to shed some light on the matter.

"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Back to topic the lots are for everyone not just the members of one county.

Posted By: nice-one
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:41am
quote:

Totally agree...[:D]

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 1:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by nice-one

quote:

Totally agree...[:D]

Not looking to start an argument, BUT, let's say they did do that, are you volunteering to pay for my sticker? One of the many reasons people slug is because it's what they can afford to do and I know for myself, I could not afford to get to work everyday if I had to pay for it. This was all designed as a free system benefiting both parties. I think the slug lines are mellowing out again now that the initial panic is over. I have not heard that anything can be done to block others from parking but if you feel that strongly about it, petition everybody to extend the HOV and to build lots in those areas.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredMarine

Monkey I agree the military exemption would be the wrong way to go in NOVA. I also feel it is wrong for the off duty FBI, Police and any other single riding vehicle to be allowed to use the lanes. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle.

ETC please never compare what our military men and woman give up to a teacher or a Nurse. The firefight and the Police officers do risk their life's, but it still not the same as our service members. As for your taxes paying our wages, you may want to check with your father as he will hopefully be able to shed some light on the matter.

"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Back to topic the lots are for everyone not just the members of one county.

This.

Posted By: KennyP
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 1:49pm
ETC you said a mouth-full when you stated you were an Army BRAT. You have no clue that FREEDOM ISN'T FREE and we have citizens who will give their lives for this country. Will you? With saying that, I don't agree with a military exemption either and I'm sure my military family does not also. But you will not devalue what the servicemember does or could be called to do on a daily basis. I see you have not had many conversations with your former military family members to understand how deep your comments can cut by ridiculous statements. Let us THINK before we speak.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:45pm
In an earlier posting in this thread, someone wrote that they thought active duty military could drive alone (SOV) in the Hampton Roads HOV-2 lanes during rush hours. This does not appear to be true.

There does not appear to be any exemption for this on the VDOT (or DMV) website, and an article in the Norfolk newspaper last year reports (at http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/hov-exemption-remains-bad-idea ) that the federal government rejected the proposal from some Virginia elected officials.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:57am
There was also a report on a local TV news website last June about the feds turning down a Virginia request for military to use the Hampton Roads HOV-2 lanes SOV during rush hours.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/No-HOV-Breaks-for-Military-Drivers-in-Va-95516514.html

Posted By: GKreamer
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:17pm
It appears that there is a law enforcement exemption in the HOV lanes. Every day (in my experience) I see SOV SUVs, Impalas, etc. that have some lights on the rear deck and I never see them stopped. Half the time they have wither MD or DC plates. Just this am I saw a black SUV with MD plates that got on in Shirlington, he had his passenger visor down and there was a blue & red light (or reflector) there. Once we passed the Pentagon he put the passenger visor up.

George

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:02pm
HOV exceptions from the VDOT website at http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

Exceptions to the rules
1. Motorcycles are permitted to use HOV lanes throughout Virginia during HOV hours.

2. Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours.

3. Vehicles powered exclusively by clean special fuel (including hybrid gasoline/electric, hydrogen, hythane, methane, compressed natural gas, electricity, liquefied natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, ethane, and solar energy) and registered with clean special fuel license plates are permitted to use HOV lanes. Not all hybrids qualify for clean fuel license plates. Motorists should check the DMV website, DMV, for an updated list of eligible hybrids.

4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls.

5. On most interstates in northern Virginia, trucks are permitted to use HOV lanes if they have the required number of people. Tractor trailer trucks are not permitted on the HOV lanes in the Hampton Roads area or on I-66 inside the Beltway at any time.

6. Buses designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver.

7. Taxicabs with two or more people, including the driver, are permitted.

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:28am
To those saying "I ain't paying for parking": then don't complain about the current state of parking or lack thereof. Nothing else in life is free so why should our parking be?

Since I am not a homeowner nor likely to ever be, the taxes that PWC or VA see from me is minimal. Yet I have lived in NOVA all my life, mostly in Woodbridge.

I'm willing to pay a nominal fee for a space. Even $50 a month is better than parking at work or busing daily. And I am a single mother working 2 paying jobs to try to make ends meet.

The state & county are telling us there's not much money for upgrading commuter parking in PWC. I'm sure it's mostly true. But with the current & foreseeable hassles coming from Wdbrg to DC if u can't go in at the buttcrack of dawn, I might as well drive everyday to a job in Ffx or Chantilly everyday again. Those employers seldom charge for parking, and at least I have my vehicle handy if something comes up & I need to get home for any reason. And it takes as long or currently, less time than my commute to DC.

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:26am
^

There's the difference... Some of us ARE homeowners and we HAVE paid for the parking in the form of taxes.

Hand over a thousand dollar check to the county twice a year and then talk to us about your willingness to pay yet another fee for a public service.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

^

There's the difference... Some of us ARE homeowners and we HAVE paid for the parking in the form of taxes.

Hand over a thousand dollar check to the county twice a year and then talk to us about your willingness to pay yet another fee for a public service.

Exactly. And, if there is so little money why then can they afford to expand Horner road and the new lease at the church on Minnieville? Seems like they have enough money for that which the must have budgeted for in past years. I say this to those who are willing to pay to park in there own county, WAKE UP!!! You already pay taxes for this very thing and now your saying you'll pay for it twice?!!! I say Woodbridge needs to find ways to bring in more businesses that are willing to pay living wages so residents can work where they live. If those who are willing to pay to park have so much extra $$ floating around that they can pay 2-3 times for the something already paid for, then pass along some of your extra income to me and I will be happy to spend your money for you since you seem to have so much laying around. I work hard too and have bills to pay. They commuter lots seem to be working okay now that things have smoothed out but give it more time and it will all run as smoothly as it did before PM reduced parking.

Posted By: Boo123
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
Forgive me. I've only browse-read some of the entries since the last time I checked into this discussion. In the interim, I did write VDOT about PWC resident priority at the commuter lots. I received a reply from a Valerie Pardo. She said:

"I did look into your suggestion about giving county residents priority in the Prince William County lots. Unfortunately we cannot give one countys residents preference over another in lots that were built with public funds and are owned by VDOT. The lots are considered public right-of-way and, as such, are available to anyone that wants to park in them (providing there are spaces).

"As you may be aware, there is a shortage of commuter parking in northern Stafford County- the lots on Route 610 and Route 630 are full to overflowing. It is my understanding that an expansion of the Staffordboro Park and Ride Lot on Route 610 is in design, and will provide about 1000 additional spaces in that corridor."

Just fyi.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 2:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by Boo123

Unfortunately we cannot give one countys residents preference over another in lots that were built with public funds and are owned by VDOT. The lots are considered public right-of-way and, as such, are available to anyone that wants to park in them (providing there are spaces).

Here's the key folks. The lots are built/maintained by state funds. PW county real estate taxes don't fund the lots. We all pay funds to the state in one way or another.

Thus, PW county residents getting preference is a non-starter.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

^

Are you willing to give back the interest-credit you get on your taxes? Are you willing to put the equity you've earned on your home (under normal circumstances) - even if you've done nothing but basic upkeep - into a public-usage fund, say for roads & schools?

I didn't think so. So yes, you pay taxes -but you get other financial benefits out of it, in addition to the general security that as long as you're paying on your home (and didn't buy beyond your means) it can't be sold out from under you. I've been kicked out of an apartment, and prohibited from moving into most that would allow for saving for a home "for making too much".

As a lifelong north Virginian who acknowledges the limits of my tax-based contribution - that's why I'm willing to pay a fee.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey

quote:
Originally posted by Boo123

Unfortunately we cannot give one countys residents preference over another in lots that were built with public funds and are owned by VDOT. The lots are considered public right-of-way and, as such, are available to anyone that wants to park in them (providing there are spaces).

Here's the key folks. The lots are built/maintained by state funds. PW county real estate taxes don't fund the lots. We all pay funds to the state in one way or another.

Thus, PW county residents getting preference is a non-starter.

Which is why it was suggested charging a nominal fee for places like Potomac Mills (and in theory, the church if it is all PWC $).

Posted By: goodmphyll
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:59pm
I haven't read the entire thread, but I think we have to remember that no one owes us anything. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to "ride free." After all, those lots handle the buses that we have to ride for fare. They could reduce all the lots, just to handle the bus travelers and then where'd we be? Sure, I want more parking. I'm tired of getter to Horner and having no place to park by about 6:45 AM. I am getting to work way earlier than I want, usually an hour earlier. I can't charge for that time, either. It's still better than the bus or driving and finding a place to park, though. Let me put on a thinking cap...we can still get those, right?

Phyllis Wendt

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:12am
quote:
Originally posted by goodmphyll

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think we have to remember that no one owes us anything. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to "ride free." After all, those lots handle the buses that we have to ride for fare. They could reduce all the lots, just to handle the bus travelers and then where'd we be? Sure, I want more parking. I'm tired of getter to Horner and having no place to park by about 6:45 AM. I am getting to work way earlier than I want, usually an hour earlier. I can't charge for that time, either. It's still better than the bus or driving and finding a place to park, though. Let me put on a thinking cap...we can still get those, right?

Phyllis Wendt

What are you thinking about? They sure as heck DO owe us something. We are the taxpayers. We paid to build the highways. We paid to build the commuter lots. We are not riding free - we are utilizing the facilities that we paid to build and we are paying more taxes on the gasoline we buy in order to use the facilities we built. We own these facilities, we own the government, and it damn well better do what we tell it to or we will remember that on election day. [;)]

Posted By: pentagonslug74
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 9:06am

you can't be serious.
quote:

quote:

Phyllis Wendt

What are you thinking about? They sure as heck DO owe us something. We are the taxpayers. We paid to build the highways. We paid to build the commuter lots. We are not riding free - we are utilizing the facilities that we paid to build and we are paying more taxes on the gasoline we buy in order to use the facilities we built. We own these facilities, we own the government, and it damn well better do what we tell it to or we will remember that on election day. [;)]

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 9:59am
Of course I am serious. I believe that the people hold dominion over the government - not the other way around. I do not believe that the government owns anything or has any power except that granted by the people. The government does not have rights - the people have rights. We elect representatives to run our gvernment and we replace them when we don't like the way they handle things.

What country are you from?

quote:
Originally posted by pentagonslug74

you can't be serious.
quote:

quote:

Phyllis Wendt

Posted By: pentagonslug74
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:16am
and your right, but in reality thats not how it works, and through voting you can change out officals but the end result remains the same, if you truly think we hold dominion then I would love to hear what you have to say if / when the government shuts down and people are told to stay home, who holds the hand then, we do pay for highways, lots, etc through taxes, but the commuters lots were not orginally designed for sluggers and according to VDOT and prince william county their stance on slugging is that they can niether confirm or deny its exsistance , a quote from wtop, to say we are owed this is way out there...if you dont like the way your taxes are being used then move...

quote:

Of course I am serious. I believe that the people hold dominion over the government - not the other way around. I do not believe that the government owns anything or has any power except that granted by the people. The government does not have rights - the people have rights. We elect representatives to run our gvernment and we replace them when we don't like the way they handle things.

What country are you from?

quote:

you can't be serious.
quote:

quote:

Phyllis Wendt

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:57am
quote:

and your right, but in reality thats not how it works, and through voting you can change out officals but the end result remains the same, if you truly think we hold dominion then I would love to hear what you have to say if / when the government shuts down and people are told to stay home, who holds the hand then, we do pay for highways, lots, etc through taxes, but the commuters lots were not orginally designed for sluggers and according to VDOT and prince william county their stance on slugging is that they can niether confirm or deny its exsistance , a quote from wtop, to say we are owed this is way out there...if you dont like the way your taxes are being used then move...

Hey - I never said anything about liking or disliking how my taxes are being used. I said that when I don't like what our government is doing I remember it at the ballot box. Please refrain from that if you don't like it then move stuff. If you don't like it then stay out of this thread! [:D] If you keep it up I'll take my ball and go home. [:p]

The commuter lots are intended for use by commuters. When the taxpayers pay for a facility that is intended for their use you bet your life they are owed the use of it. It is none of the government's business who we decide to ride with or how we come to that decision. Our taxes paid for the lot and we'll use it - we're not asking the state for anything we do not fully deserve. Sluggers are not beggars with hat in hand on bended knee at the foot of the government, hoping for a handout. Sluggers are citizens, taxpayers, and voters (at least I am and many others who participate in slugging) and the government answers to us just as it answers to the rest of the citizens, although I agree with your point that the reality is not so cut and dried as my rhetoric might describe.

The idea that the government owns everything and the people only get what the government grants them is known as statism. Statism is a popular view today both in the government and in society in general. I have no problem with that view or the people who hold it although I usually deride it as nanny-statism. From where I stand as long as there is still private property the power remains distributed and the government can never gain enough of it to subjugate the people. The current trend seems to be towards statism, certainly President Obama is a statist, but the pendulum always swings back - that's the beautiful thing about the power residing with the people.

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 2:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by VAwitch

Are you willing to give back the interest-credit you get on your taxes? Are you willing to put the equity you've earned on your home (under normal circumstances) - even if you've done nothing but basic upkeep - into a public-usage fund, say for roads & schools?

I didn't think so. So yes, you pay taxes -but you get other financial benefits out of it, in addition to the general security that as long as you're paying on your home (and didn't buy beyond your means) it can't be sold out from under you. I've been kicked out of an apartment, and prohibited from moving into most that would allow for saving for a home "for making too much".

As a lifelong north Virginian who acknowledges the limits of my tax-based contribution - that's why I'm willing to pay a fee.

I'd be paying taxes on the equity in the form of capital gains taxes anyhow...

But I'm not prepared to give back the equity any more than the government is going to compensate me for the loss in equity that I have currently.

I also don't get that much of an interest credit since I dumped a considerable amount of cash into paying it off before the ARM expired.

I stand by my assertion that I will not pay a parking fee in a public parking lot... Nor will I pay a toll on a public highway.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net