Print Page | Close Window

New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5136
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!
Posted By: Admin
Subject: New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 12:59pm
First Baptist Church Commuter Lot!

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/feb/25/woodbridge-church-plans-preschool-commuter-windfal-ar-866430/

Here is the text of the article:

Woodbridge church plans preschool with commuter windfall
By Keith Walker

God just smiled on the First Baptist Church of Woodbridge.

We certainly see it that way, said Frank Johnson, executive pastor at the church which recently contracted with Prince William County and the Virginia Department of Transportation to lease out 370 spaces in its lot for commuter parking.

Johnson said the church will find good use for money from the agreement, which will bring the church $288,600 annually for up to five years.

The money is going to go into the church budget and its going to be utilized to expand ministry programs and start new programs, Johnson said.

One of the main ministries the church will start will be a preschool, he said.

We have some excellent nursery and preschool spaces we utilize primarily just for church programs, so we are definitely thinking about starting a preschool, Johnson said. We hope that the preschool in time would be able to stand on its own with the income it generates along with support from the church.

Church officials always thought the congregations location at Elm Farm and Minnieville roads would be a good location for commuter parking, but commuters didnt have a reason to park there since commuter buses didnt roll anywhere near the church.

When Potomac Mills mall closed its lot and reclaimed 725 spaces because of upcoming expansion, the church parking lot became prime real estate, Johnson said.

There was really no compelling reason for commuters to use our lot, Johnson said. Once the Potomac Mills thing happened and the county was looking to solve that dilemma, we were in the right place at the right time I guess is the way you could describe it.

The 65,000-square-foot church, which has English and Hispanic congregations, has between 1,400 and 1,500 members.

The church was originally on Millwood Avenue in Woodbridge near Fred Lynn Middle School and has been in Woodbridge for about 100 years. After all those decades, the congregation outgrew the church there, Johnson said.

We occupied Woodbridge High School for three years while we were building this facility, he said.

The new church opened in January 2006.

The church plans for further expansion in the future, Johnson said.

We actually have in the design plans three phases, he said. Two of the phases involve expansions for religious education spaces and a recreational center, but we have to pay down some debt before we do any more building.

Senior reporter Keith walker can be reached at 703-369-6751.

Replies:
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 5:50am
Please comment on the new slug lines in this location. We have approximately 2 weeks to get organized.

To assist, I will post a map on traffic patterns and possible slug locations!

Posted By: JSB
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:30am
It is good news that PWC has a new commuter parking lot. Slugging into and out of small lots is always a problem. While it is easy to get a ride in the morning for a slugger, but drivers have to wait. For return to such lots in the pm is also a problem for sluggers. That is keeping away many commuters from fully using lots such as Dale City, while prominent large lots get filled up early.

J Boparai

Posted By: KennyP
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:56am
This very good news. Where is this church located and what locations will the lot accommodate, (i.e., LaFonte, 14th, etc)? Very good news, thanks First Baptist Church:]

Posted By: cksavage
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:02am
While it is good news that the First Baptist Church is making these spaces available to commuters, there still are some drawbacks for slugging. Unless Omniride plans to make it a stop, there is no backup for slugs to and from. And with only 370 spaces available, is that large enough to support multiple lines, e.g., DC, Pentagon, Crystal City and Rosslyn? I'm a bit dubious about that. Meanwhile, I am finding it slow but picking up with drivers and riders to and from Rosslyn and Dale City Commuter Lot. There are plenty of spaces there, even later in the AM as I'm reading and bus service is also available. Adding this new lot to the slug line location would only serve to further disperse the riders and drivers among the different slug line locations. I say let's encourage the use of the existing, but underutilized slug line locations, such as the Dale City commuter lot.

Posted By: cmp9969
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 11:03am
Just got this information from PRTC. Looks like you will be able to transfer at Horner Road from Dale City buses in order to get the Rosslyn bus.

Good morning. Yes, we are finalizing re-routing plans. The Rosslyn-Ballston route (current schedule link pasted below) will be re-routed to pick up and drop off at the Church.

http://www.prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/schedules/rosslyn-am.php

http://www.prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/schedules/rosslyn-pm.php

Doris Chism

Director of Customer Service and Dispatch

PRTC

Ph - (703) 580-6153

Fax - (703) 583-1702

DChism@OmniRide.com

www.PRTCtransit.org

VA Slugger

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:01pm
I would like to see a line to L'Enfant at this church. I try to leave around 7:30. Currently, I have used the Dale City Commuter Lot for the Pentagon and end up waiting for quite a while for two riders. I much rather go to L'Enfant.

Posted By: pcr29
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:15pm
I agree to cksavage, lets leave dale city lot as it is now that people are starting to know this lot, and use the available spaces at the church for DC riders, that will be less confusing,

Posted By: tullylo
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:06am
Please use this lot for 14th, 18th and L'Enfant. There are plenty of late sluggers and riders going to those locations. All other lots are full and we're stuck. I arrive at 7:30 as I don't have to be in to work until 8:30 a.m. and am not able to change my hours.

Posted By: JustALilSlug
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 7:13am
I totally agree with leaving Dale City as the Crystal City/Rosslyn/Pentagon line (and have bigger, better and more durable signs at both entrances) and having the church as L'enfant/14th/18th/19th St line as Potomac Mills gets filled up fast which has those who dont have to be to work until between 730 and 9 scrambling to look for spots at other lots that also gets full before those times.

It causes less confusion to those who are just starting to get to know Dale City and it's not that far away from it the Dale City lot. Plus it will be less likely that the church lot will get filled up too quickly

Rosslyn, L'Enfant & Pentagon Slugger

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 12:29pm
I think I agree to make the church lot a DC only lot to start with. The DC folks have few spaces at Potomac to use for slugging. Leave the Rosslyn and CC at Dale City with improved lighting and signs. [I am assuming that the Dale City lot is still underutilized - correct?] Also, to stongly encourage the DC folks to use the church lot from the VERY START. We want cars there after PWC went to so much trouble to set it up for us.

One other thing - for DC folks, if we do make the church DC only, please then dont use other lots as much. That will help the other lots.

Finally, we can always add Rosslyn and CC and/or Pentagon to the church later.

Posted By: annettedeleon
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 3:14pm
The location is good for slugging but I go to 14th Street. OmniRide would need to provide service at the church location and it doesn't look like thats part of the plan.

Posted By: ShellyBee
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:14pm
I agree with Annettedeleon. I need transportation to 14th Street and would agree to use the new church lot for slugging, but I need to be assured of a ride home. PRTC needs to add a stop to this location for the DC busses and we need to ensure that there is a slug line around 14th street for riders going to the church lot.

Posted By: dizzykat22192
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:38pm
Since Old Hechinger's is having a problem with getting filled up at 8:15 some days and reluctance to utilize 123, this would be a good lot to add 14/18 street to alleviate this situation. It isn't always the "where" but the "when" as well. People going in later (after 8:00) run into the most problems when parking.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:41pm
Agree, agree, agree - late sluggers are having BIG problems with filled lots. I don't have to be to work until 9:30 but have to get to the lot by 7:45/8:00 to get a space. My days are getting longer and longer. Also, as a side note, if the 123 lot is used for slugs going into the city but riding buses back it would negate the need for drivers out of the city to that lot. Just a thought.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:22pm
There will be bus service, although not as frequent or convenient as I would like. I'll be there on the 14th to use this for slugging as a rider to DC!

Home > MyPRTC > Service Updates

FOR NEW RIDERS

NEW COMMUTER LOT TO BE SERVED BY ROSSLYN/BALLSTON OMNIRIDE

PM OMNIRIDE REROUTED FROM PART OF 14TH ST

MARCH COMMISSION MEETING

MARCH 2011 RIDER SPOTLIGHT

Service Updates

NEW COMMUTER LOT TO BE SERVED BY ROSSLYN/BALLSTON OMNIRIDE

Posted 03/01/2011

Beginning Monday, March 14, eastern Prince William commuters will have another parking option. Prince William County has leased 370 parking spaces from First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Minnieville and Elm Farm roads, to help compensate for the recent loss of 725 spaces at Potomac Mills Mall.

Also as of March 14, all Rosslyn/Ballston OmniRide trips will be re-routed from the Prince William Parkway onto Minnieville and Caton Hill roads to serve the new commuter spaces at First Baptist Church. As a result, the following stops will no longer be served by Rosslyn/Ballston OmniRide buses:

MORNING SERVICE
Prince William Parkway & Malta
Prince William Parkway & Sonora
Telegraph & Prince William Parkway

AFTERNOON/EVENING SERVICE
Telegraph & Prince William Parkway
Prince William Parkway & Golansky

New stops will be established to serve the First Baptist Church lot at:

MORNING SERVICE
Minnieville & Noblewood Plaza (Across the street from the church there is a pedestrian crossing at this location)

AFTERNOON/EVENING SERVICE
Minnieville at First Baptist Church

This map depicts the new commuter spaces. For information about slugging from this parking lot visit www.Slug-Lines.com.

Maps and timetables are being revised to reflect the change in routing, and will be posted online as soon as they become available. Printed schedules will be revised at the next printing in the spring

Posted By: pentagonslug74
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 8:51am
thats great for the rosslyn / ballston folks, but for cryatal city dc folks this will not work if there is no prtc service at that location.

Posted By: Cplace
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 3:18pm
I'm a driver and I have to say that although it's slow pick up for pentagon in the morning I'd rather we stay as is and let the new lot be for late people who can't get in at Dale City, I pick up slugs at 7 and there are plenty of spots left and as it gets lighter in the morning I'm hoping more people will be willing to park there. This is good news for late people bad news in the way that I think it's just stirring up the dirt that's already settling. I talked about it with my slug this morning he agreed it's not going to be helpful. I'm a fan of leaving Pentagon at Dale and leaving the church as run-over spots or DC folks that don't have anywhere else to go.

Posted By: disappointed
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 4:45pm
I would like to see the First Baptist Church lot used for 14th, 18th and L'Enfant in the a.m. I would use it for both-picking up and slugging. My concern as a slug would be the return trip home. There was an announcement that the PRTC organized stops to go to the Church lot, but those buses would be inconvenient for me to catch. With that said, can we please add a 3rd slug pick-up line to the p.m. evening location that already exists on 19th between Penn & I streets NW???? Currently, there are two lines-Potomac Mills & Horner Road. It makes sense to add a 3rd for the Church, doesn't it?

Posted By: disappointed
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 4:50pm
Oh, and to add-I am a driver who drops off on 18th street. Today, I went to Horner at 7:05 and there were no slugs in the 18th street line, so I picked up for 14th street and drove out of my way back up to the 18th street area. ay yi yi...I will be very thankful to have 18th Street passengers at the Church.

Posted By: old_timer
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 7:46am
Just wanted to point out a few things about this new location.
First off, let me say, I have changed from the Potomac Mills lot @ 6:30 to Horner Rd. @ 6:10 to make sure I get a spot.
About the new location, this parking lot is a loooong ways from the entrace to 95. Many stoplights in between. Probably will add at least 10 min. or more to the commute. Second, the lot empties out onto Minieville Rd, which in the evenings is VERY congested! Third, did I read correctly that people will have to cross Minievile Rd in the a.m. to catch the bus? Not good!
If a slug line was created for the Pentagon at K-Mart and there was a bus connection to the Pentagon, I might use it, but I think I'll just stick with Horner. Thanks anyway.

Posted By: cksavage
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:35am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

I think I agree to make the church lot a DC only lot to start with. The DC folks have few spaces at Potomac to use for slugging. Leave the Rosslyn and CC at Dale City with improved lighting and signs. [I am assuming that the Dale City lot is still underutilized - correct?] Also, to stongly encourage the DC folks to use the church lot from the VERY START. We want cars there after PWC went to so much trouble to set it up for us.

The Dale City lot is stll underutilized. There are plenty of spaces open - I get there around 6:30 and pick up riders. Activity to Rosslyn is picking up in the AM and slower but getting better in the PM back from Rosslyn.

I agree that the 370 spaces is probably not enough to support multiple slug lines and bus service as well. Pick one and go with it!

Posted By: jgirl
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:19am
What if we have one line to all slug locations at the Church, but it would only become active after 7:00, which is when the Horner lot fills up? People could check at that lot before going to Horner.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:47am
As a genaralization, is it true that Pentagoners go in to work much earlier than DC slugs? Horner is a very early lot and is heavily military, true? That would tend to say that overall there is not a lot of Pentagon bound slugging after 7:30 or 8am. Any lot that is geared for late slugging would probably be mostly non-Pentagon slugs. Comments.....?

Posted By: southbridgemom
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

As a genaralization, is it true that Pentagoners go in to work much earlier than DC slugs? Horner is a very early lot and is heavily military, true? That would tend to say that overall there is not a lot of Pentagon bound slugging after 7:30 or 8am. Any lot that is geared for late slugging would probably be mostly non-Pentagon slugs. Comments.....?

Bob,
I would say no. Although many Pentagon folks go in early (say to start work before 8am), the DC slug line at Horner often has 15-20 folks (sometimes more) in line for rides as early as 6:30 am. There is a sizeable Military population (to include DoD Civilians) that use the Horner lot, but it's not all DoD types. There isn't a lot of PNT bound slugging after 7:30-8am due to the lot filling up so early.

Here's hoping the First Baptist lot can be put to use to take some of the pressure off of Horner Rd, OH, and Tacketts in general.

Posted By: shorty5646
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:02am
quote:
Originally posted by tullylo

Please use this lot for 14th, 18th and L'Enfant. There are plenty of late sluggers and riders going to those locations. All other lots are full and we're stuck. I arrive at 7:30 as I don't have to be in to work until 8:30 a.m. and am not able to change my hours.

I agree, and hope to see a line created here for L'Enfant and other downtown locations. I've been trying to get drivers on board for L'Enfant at Tackett's without much luck so far. I'd really like to be able to go back and forth to L'Enfant from somewhere after 7:30am besides the 123 lot (TOO far from home for me)! I also feel like DC sluggers need more options for later in the morning - I'm currently arriving at Tackett's Mill at 7:30am, just to get a parking space, even though I don't have to be at work until 9am. As another poster said, it just makes the day seem longer and longer...

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 12:38pm
With only 300+ spaces, unfortunately we can not afford multiple destinations, I suggested that this lot to be DC just to be fair with the Potomac people that were left in limbo,
Now if I wanted door to door service as I sense to be the logic in some slugs, I would like this lot to be a mirror of Tacketts Mill(without the mess) also taking in consideration the bus service that will be available for this location, BUT that will lead again to leave the Dale City lot under utilized.
In the end, everybody wants what is convenience for them, just my two cents,

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by pcr29

With only 300+ spaces, unfortunately we can not afford multiple destinations, I suggested that this lot to be DC just to be fair with the Potomac people that were left in limbo,
Now if I wanted door to door service as I sense to be the logic in some slugs, I would like this lot to be a mirror of Tacketts Mill(without the mess) also taking in consideration the bus service that will be available for this location, BUT that will lead again to leave the Dale City lot under utilized.

If Gemini is still underutilized, recommend the Gemini lot be the 'mirror image' of Tacketts you mentioned above. You have 3 busses servicing Gemini today (Dale City to WNY, Dale City-DC, and Dale City-CC/Pentagon). The DC folks who need/want/deserve a chance for a non-stop trip would have a backup bus ride back to Gemini in the event no drivers show in their respective work areas in the PM.

Then, use the church lot as an overflow lot, since that lot will only have one bus line servicing it (Rosslyn/Ballston). That way, anyone going to DC from the church can still get off at the Pentagon and continue. This will also give the later riders a viable, "one size fits all" alternative.

If you still keep Gemini as a lot to the VA locations, and use the church lot for DC locations, great. But I think my idea above would be workable. Maybe a bit confusing at first (adding to current confusion), but you DO have the backup busses to support it now.

It would have been nice to KNOW the church lot would have been in the picture before decisions were made to go to Gemini, but you do the best you can with what you have at the time. Here's a chance to make lemonade from the lemons.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 7:05am
quote:
Originally posted by old_timer

Just wanted to point out a few things about this new location.
First off, let me say, I have changed from the Potomac Mills lot @ 6:30 to Horner Rd. @ 6:10 to make sure I get a spot.
About the new location, this parking lot is a loooong ways from the entrace to 95. Many stoplights in between. Probably will add at least 10 min. or more to the commute. Second, the lot empties out onto Minieville Rd, which in the evenings is VERY congested! Third, did I read correctly that people will have to cross Minievile Rd in the a.m. to catch the bus? Not good!
If a slug line was created for the Pentagon at K-Mart and there was a bus connection to the Pentagon, I might use it, but I think I'll just stick with Horner. Thanks anyway.

Isn't it true that the lot also has an exit onto Elm Farm Rd? Seems really convenient for those who want to get to Prince William Parkway (like me) [8D]

Posted By: dburkart
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:52pm
I really like going to the Dale City Lot and plan on staying there. Hopefully so do others -- I go into Rosslyn

Posted By: 2ndsunshine
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:57am
I would like to see this lot be for DC. The wait at Pot Mills is at least 20 min because only dropoffs can come after 7a. It is also closer for me than Tacketts Mill. The challenge will be raising awareness. It seems like people would rather break their neck and fight for spaces to get to Tacketts and Horner than try a new lot. I am willing to try it next week. i

Posted By: NKSK8R
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 4:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by southbridgemom

quote:
Originally posted by pcr29

If Gemini is still underutilized, recommend the Gemini lot be the 'mirror image' of Tacketts you mentioned above. You have 3 busses servicing Gemini today (Dale City to WNY, Dale City-DC, and Dale City-CC/Pentagon). The DC folks who need/want/deserve a chance for a non-stop trip would have a backup bus ride back to Gemini in the event no drivers show in their respective work areas in the PM.

Then, use the church lot as an overflow lot, since that lot will only have one bus line servicing it (Rosslyn/Ballston). That way, anyone going to DC from the church can still get off at the Pentagon and continue. This will also give the later riders a viable, "one size fits all" alternative.

If you still keep Gemini as a lot to the VA locations, and use the church lot for DC locations, great. But I think my idea above would be workable. Maybe a bit confusing at first (adding to current confusion), but you DO have the backup busses to support it now.

It would have been nice to KNOW the church lot would have been in the picture before decisions were made to go to Gemini, but you do the best you can with what you have at the time. Here's a chance to make lemonade from the lemons.

I agree with you Southbridge mom to *add* the DC line to the Dale City lot since DC slugs would have a guaranteed ride home on a bus if needed in the evening and to use the church lot as overflow for late sluggers ... going to DC/Crystal/Rossyln/(Pentagon if there are any) going north in the AM. I personally work in DC and slug into DC in the AM and then take the metro over to Rossyln to catch a ride home in the evenings. So either the Dale City Lot or the Church would work for me.

I don't think the board of supervisors had the approval from the church at the time of the change at Potomac Mills on 2/14/11 - but yes it would have been more convenient if we would have known this was a possible option before the changes were made.

FYI ... I did see at the Church a message on their sign this morning that said "commuter parking would start on March 14th."

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:16am
I agree that we need to promote Dale City lot, which can happen with more reliable PM options. At Pentagon I still see Dale City slugs waiting for long times which discourages them using Dale City lot. Church lot could be used as an overflow lot(for late - 8am+ slugging).

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:17pm
AS a former PM slug heading to DC (WNY via L'Enfant), the Dale City is a real PITA. I drive 20min cross-town to drop my son off @ d/c on Cardinal (moved mid-year + program he's in @ School).

Right now, the best I can do most mornings is get a ride to Pentagon. Coming home... good luck... Horner usually, and then freeze my bits off.

I've added 30+ min in the mornings, and 30-60+ minutes in the evening (even w/o highway incidents). It stinks.

PLEASE, either make the Church-lot a DC lot, or even better - add a DC line to the Dale City lot (there is the end closest to the trees to line up - perhaps that "entrance" is the exit-point for the line?

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 2:17pm
Did we decide on how slugging at the new lot will function? If nothing is certain for drivers/riders, this lot may remain underutilized too.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 11:20pm
Will anyone be at this lot in the morning?

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:37am
I didn't use the lot, only because it seemed no one has come to a decision on how the lot will be used. Did anyone slug or pick up from the church today? If it will be used as a DC lot with a line to L'Enfant, I'd be GLAD to start going back and forth there - as long as I have a way to return there in the evening!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:52pm
Sorry fellow slugs! I meant to have a map posted last week but I have fallen behind. I went to the FBC over a week ago and it should work very well for slugging.

Based upon the bus service, we could certainly start a Rosslyn slug line because PRTC has added a bus stop there. It is also reasonable to add a Pentagon line.

I know many want a 14th/18th/L'Enfant line but return bus service may be a problem.

I really could use Downtown slug input! Will this work?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:55am
I am a driver who prefers to go to LeFant on the way to Capitol Hill. Currently, I am picking up slugs in the morning to go to the Pentagon which can be very time consuming especially if the traffic backs up on the HOV lanes as it did this morning. Where can a driver who has to be at work by 8:30 pick up slugs for LeFant? I'm sure I'm not the only person who has this issue. I did a drive-by this morning of the Church lot and it appeared to be very empty. Ended up going back to the DCCL. Fortunately I got two riders for LeFant.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:17am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Sorry fellow slugs! I meant to have a map posted last week but I have fallen behind. I went to the FBC over a week ago and it should work very well for slugging.

Based upon the bus service, we could certainly start a Rosslyn slug line because PRTC has added a bus stop there. It is also reasonable to add a Pentagon line.

I know many want a 14th/18th/L'Enfant line but return bus service may be a problem.
I know I'm one who said they would use this lot for slugging to DC. However, I realized afterwards that the return would be iffy without it being an established lot and/or backup bus service. So no, I can't use it until it becomes established.

I believe at this point it would be better to move at DC line to DCCL because of the guarantee of backup bus service.

I really could use Downtown slug input! Will this work?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:47am
I too want to get to L'Enfant or Metro Center (via slugging) occasionally but I normally dont get to any lot until between 730-800 and by that time, all of the lots going to DC are full, so I end up slugging from DCCL to Pentagon (for L'Enfant) or Rosslyn (for Metro Center - less time and transfers) then catching the metro from those locations.

We really need to get this lot going. We got extra parking, now we need to utilize it. I know its a scramble right now as we have all of these new lots emerging with very little warnings and hardly any plans, but if we take action and get things going, it will make for a faster transition. The results of slugging is up to us (the commuters).

Who is willing to slug from there if there is a DC line added? Who is willing to pick up from DC (15th and/or preferably L'Enfant since Horner is the only Woodbridge/Dale City pickup at the moment) to take commuters back to this lot?

I know that there's a Rosslyn bus that goes there so worst case, sluggers can either go to Rosslyn and catch the bus (I know its a PITA until this lot gets going) or slug/bus to Horner and catch the bus to the church lot.

Rosslyn sluggers - Would it be more feasible to make the church just a Rosslyn or a Rosslyn/CC lot and the DCCL lot a DC/Pentagon or DC/Pentagon/CC lot? I wouldnt mind that being that I mostly ride to Rosslyn.

I'm trying to exhaust all options possible. We have to start somewhere to get anywhere.

Posted By: Tufnwd
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:13pm
From my understanding, Gemini Way is not being under utilized. It just appears this way because folks are parking where they shouldn't. It's just a matter of time before COMCAST reclaims their parking spaces. Then what?! [:D]

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:47pm
I pick up riders from Gemini Way right now and find that this lot is very under utilized. I don't understand what you mean by Comcast relcaiming their parking space. None of this lot should belong to Comcast as its intention is for commuters. I would assume they just started parking their vehicles there because space was available.

quote:
Originally posted by Tufnwd

From my understanding, Gemini Way is not being under utilized. It just appears this way because folks are parking where they shouldn't. It's just a matter of time before COMCAST reclaims their parking spaces. Then what?! [:D]

Posted By: ktzmom13
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:23pm
I went to this new lot at 8:30 am this morning, hoping to get riders to 18th Street ... only 7-8 cars were parked there and no riders! Went by PM - there were 2 cars waiting already and a couple of riders were getting into those cars as I pulled up. Said to heck with it ... I drove in by myself and made it to work just in time (9:30 am).

Does anyone plan to use the church lot? Does anyone go to work after 8:30 a.m.?

Posted By: neecy
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:53pm
I initially thought I would use the church lot to slug but after looking at the Roslyn/Ballston bus schedule, I changed my mind. That Roslyn bus only run 4 times in the PM and not very frequent (every 45-50 mins)if you miss a bus by 5 minutes another does not arrive for 45 minutes. At least the Dale City bus runs every 10-15 minutes.
I would like to see a slug line to DC be started at Dale City commuter lot because of the bus service there. I see more folks are asking for a DC slug to be at DCCL, so why hasn't it been established?? It has been a month since we lost P.Mills.

NSiler

Posted By: ktzmom13
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:36pm
I would be more than happy to pick up or slug from Dale City commuter lot - if I knew people were waiting for rides to DC at 8:30 am. PM was great for later pick ups!

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:09pm
I live in Lakeridge and need to get to DC - China Town. Currently, I slug from Hecingers or if I'm running late, the 123 lot. I often slug to 18th and catch the red line to Gallery Place, then walk to 14th at Commerce Dept. to slug home or catch the bus from 15th and New York. Here's my issue with the new Church lot: The PRTC bus schedule provides for 4 bus runs (I think) to this stop - oh boy! That leave me with very few options. PRTC needs to add more bus runs to this lot AND it needs to add stops for the Dale City bus - then you'll get a lot more folks who are willing to ride/slug from this lot. Without a back up ride home, this lot is doomed for failure.

Let's work on improving the bus schedule to this lot, then you'll get more people willing to use it.

Why not start a slug line to L'Enfant or closer to Metro Center or Gallery Place for all those folks that work east of 14th Street?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:19pm
Just went to the PRTC for any "updates" (wishing for new bus routes to the new church lot) and noticed that there is another commuter town hall scheduled for 3/23. Here is the notice:

COMMUTER TOWN HALL ON 3/23
Posted 03/15/2011

The public is invited to attend a commuter parking town hall meeting on Wednesday, March 23 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium of the A.J. Ferlazzo Building. The meeting will be hosted by Prince William County Supervisors Mike May, Frank Principi and John Jenkins.

This is the second town hall meeting focusing on commuter parking since Potomac Mills Mall announced that its expansion plans would limit the number of commuter parking spaces available at that location. During the March 23 meeting, discussion will focus on the recently-opened commuter spaces at First Baptist Church in Woodbridge and other changes to commuting patterns that are taking place in eastern Prince William.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:02am
I have to be at L'Enfant Plaza by 9am and would LOVE to see a slug line for other later slugs like me going directly there and back. I don't care if it's the FB Church lot or Dale City lot, either one will work for me.

It's getting more and more difficult to get parking at Tackett's (currently having to get there by 7:30am for a space) and I'd LOVE to have a direct route back and forth without stopping at the Pentagon. I know there is a need an interest for later DC lines from Woodbridge, we all just need to get one started!

Posted By: neecy
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 5:00pm
Replying to ADMIN March 14th post. Can we just go ahead and start a slug for 14th/18th/L'Enfant at Dale City Commuter lot. We need a new DC lot because Potomac Mills is just not feasible any more (although I still use PM by catching the bus for 10 min and get off at PM), but Dale City would be more convenient for me and others who are asking for a new DC slug lot other than Old Hechingers. You are correct the First Baptist Church will not work for DC slugs because the bus schedule is terrible. That Roslyn bus only runs 4 times in the AM and PM and the time between buses is horrible every 45-50 minutes. Please put out the notice that we want to start a DC slug the sooner the better. Thanks.

NSiler

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
As my husband was in the area today, I asked him to let me know how many cars were in the First Baptist parking lot. He was there around 1:00 p.m. and couldn't figure it out so he went inside the church to ask. They told him, and he confirmed, that about 12 cars parked there today. This is such a waste of money for PWC. PWC needs to reroute the Dale City busses to run past this lot. As soon as they do that, it will be full each day with DC sluggers.

I can't attend the town hall meeting. Please ADMIN, mention this.

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:59am
Without more non-slug options to return to the Church lot, it's not going to work. With only 4 afternoon buses, you cannot leave early, nor get to the Pentagon (last pickup point @ 6:10ish) late. And aside from working late, we all know how reliable Metro rail service is, especially during rush hour.

I think the most reasonable solution is run a shuttle - bus, van, whatever - between the major commuter hubs of Horner, Potomac and the Church lot (and the hopefully additional 1 location to compensate for the other lost 350 spaces). The probable response: no money. Fine. I'll pay a buck to ride. I have to do that anyhow to spend 20-45 minutes of my life now, busing from Horner to the Dale City lot from/to which I can't get a direct ride from WNY. For the morning I'm running 50/50 for a ride to L'Enfant vs Pentagon, 50% of those rides are a carful of LE destined. So there are quite a few LE folks at DC lot.

You don't want to pay, don't use it. Surely at the 1.20/1.25 per person they collect now for in-town trips would cover operations, with minimal help from Govt.

The state & county can't have it both ways - push for residents to be green & use mass transit, yet do little to nothing to make it reasonable & convenient for people to use, without having to worry how the heck they'll make it home for a Dr appt, sick kid, or being a team player by staying late for work/office function.

I know several former slugs that have chosen to start driving in solo rather than fool with the current situation. I myself am considering changes jobs to an employer who pays something towards parking/transit or working westward where it's cheaper to drive in w/ security of getting home than current I-95 mass transit.

Posted By: sshearer
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:35pm
Unfortunately this lot is going to get almost no use. With so few buses running to/from it there seems to be almost no cars using it. I have driven past it every day on the way to Hechinger's or 123 this week and there has been maybe 12 cars total using it each day.

I also don't see them adding more buses or a shuttle ride as they don't have the funding. It was a good idea to get more spots but a terrible location to use. The Hylton event center by the PRTC would have been a better choice.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:25pm
Here's an idea for you. Can someone please take this idea, "massage it" (adjust as you see fit), and take this to the Town Hall meeting? I think if someone works with it, we could have a workable solution here...

How about taking the Dale City/Washington and Dale City/Crystal City-Pentagon routes, taking out the stop at Telegraph/Biddeford, and re-routing them from the Pier 1 to the church. From the church, they both go to the Horner Rd lot and then to the Pentagon. Would add about 10-15 min to the route from there, but would give another alternative. AND it would put the Omniride bus stop on the same side of the road as the church.

Not sure how many use the stop at Biddeford, though. That would have to be looked at.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 5:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by tullylo

As my husband was in the area today, I asked him to let me know how many cars were in the First Baptist parking lot. He was there around 1:00 p.m. and couldn't figure it out so he went inside the church to ask. They told him, and he confirmed, that about 12 cars parked there today. This is such a waste of money for PWC. PWC needs to reroute the Dale City busses to run past this lot. As soon as they do that, it will be full each day with DC sluggers.

I can't attend the town hall meeting. Please ADMIN, mention this.

There was a report on Channel 4 news this morning about the church lot not being used by commuters. I had put a recommendation on this thread earlier about a possible way to re-route a couple of the
Dale City busses to go near the church. I hope something can be worked out, and soon. If someone could take my idea to the town hall, and submit it for action or further review I'd appreciate it.

Also, recommend a DC line of some sort be established at Gemini. The sooner the better.

Posted By: Slugger05
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 10:20am
I used to slug to work from Potomac Mills and would love to start slugging from this Church.

I would like to see this lot used exactly like how Potomac Mills was used. It only makes sense to do it this way since the same people from Potomac Mills will now probably start coming to this lot since we all need "new homes".

I go to different sites throughout the week which is why I loved Potomac Mills. Some days I would slug to the Pentagon, sometimes to Rosslyn and sometimes to L'enfant Plaza. So I would like this new commuter lot to also have those same locations available.

My husband also used to go to Potomac mills and we would ride in one car, go to one commuter lot and take our different slug lines to work and meet back at the lot at the end of the work day and go home.

For all the reasons stated above, I would like to have this lot go to all destinations (Rosslyn/Crystal, Pentagon and DC).

Once the traffic in this lot picks up my husband and I will def start utilizing this lot.

Thanks!

Posted By: Mauricios1
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 4:52pm
I am a new driver willing to try the slug-lines. I can pick up at the Church lot from Woodbridge and go to DC 14th/Commerce, 17th/18th/Farrugut West Metro stop.

Would like to get someone on the way back as well.

My work hours are from 8:30 - 5:00. I'm usually by the church at 7:30. I leave the office at around 5pm

Jose M. Arias

Posted By: Slugger05
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 10:23am
Hi everyone,

I am writing to just vent out my frustrations. I like this new lot and really want to use it but in order for it to be an effective lot- more people need to actually use this lot. Here is an email I sent out to PWC District Supervisors.

The problem of the underutilized lot still exists. I think it is in everyone's best interest (especially Prince William County's) since about 200K was invested in this lot for there to be a maximized amount of utilization.. It's a great lot and I would love to start slugging from here (I've expressed my interest on the slug-lines.com message boards) but there needs to be more traffic for it to be an effective lot. There are a lot of people saying they want this lot to go to DC. I suggest we start DC lines and a Pentagon line to drive some traffic to this lot. Have PM slug lines coming back to this lot as well so sluggers can efficiently go from work and get back using this lot.

Here are a few suggestions

-make a map of the Church lot and all the destinations it will go to on slug-lines.com
-pass out flyers in the AM at other lots
-pass out flyers in the PM at slugs spots going to other lots

I am willing to help out with this effort but I don't want to be the only person passing out flyers- there needs to be a group of people doing this and it needs to happen for about a week or so, every morning and every afternoon. We need to spread the word. Just like how the announcement of the reduction of spots in Potomac Mills was done.

There needs to be more effort in getting more people to use this lot. Otherwise it will become just another empty, underutilized lot and a complete waste of money.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 10:49am
I agree, and am willing to help pass out flyers. I would be happy to use this lot as well, as long as I know I can get to my destination (L'Enfant) and back in the evening. Without bus service as a back up, we would definitely have to generate enough interest and traffic to get back and forth without being left behind!

Please keep us posted on the response from the county supervisors.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:50pm
I saw the Update to First Baptist Church Parking on the Home Page -
quote:
There has been a lot of progress towards improving slugging at the new FBC Commuter Lot. PRTC/OmniRide will begin a "shuttle bus" service from Horner Road Lot to FBC beginning May 2nd. As a result, slugs will have a way to get to FBC is slug rides are not available. More to follow as this develops.

With the option to take a shuttle from Horner to FBC, are other slugs interested in starting slugs lines headed for DC (L'Enfant, 14th, 18th etc) effective May 2? How can we get this started?

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 4:18pm
Dale City buses could be routed in the a.m. to the church lot (I've never seen more than 15 cars there) taking the side road that connects PW Pkwy and Minnieville coming out right next to the lot and then go back out on the same road to the light and continue on Minnieville to Caton Hill and onto Telegraph and into Horner lot. The p.m. trip could go from Horner lot, right onto Canton Hill, left on Minnieville to church lot and then continue either down Minnieville to Dale City commuter lot or turn onto side road next to church lot and continue to connect to PW Pkwy. This could be every other bus to accommodate folks who need to go to Target.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:47am
Shuttle bus coming to underused church commuter lot:

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/apr/14/shuttle-bus-coming-underused-church-commuter-lot-ar-970983/ - http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/apr/14/shuttle-bus-coming-underused-church-commuter-lot-ar-970983/

(www.insidenova.com)

Posted By: Deanwvu
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:22pm
How about we put up a sign or two near the church?? Many slugs/drivers may be going right by the church (passing by on Minnieville) on their way to Horner or Tackett's, having no idea that there is a commuter lot RIGHT THERE.

Maybe just something like:

<--- TURN LEFT HERE. New commuter lot at First Baptist Church! Lines to Rosslyn, Pentagon, L'Enfant.

Perhaps another sign up at the end of Elm Farm Rd? (Elm Farm and Minnieville)

I bet tons of people are driving right past the lot with no clue!

Posted By: Deanwvu
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:23pm
I'd be willing to make and put up these signs, by the way... but...

Am I allowed by law to do that without asking? Do I have to petition the county or something to put up such signs?

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:05pm
Just for info, VDOT has placed Variable Message Signs at Tackett's (saw it this morning) and Horner directing commuters to FBC.

In addition, PWC has placed signage (the kind that stick into the ground) at some of the lots (again, saw these at Tackett's) directing commuters to visit Slug-Lines.com for more information.

Hopefully this will help get the work out!

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:19am
I've seen the signs that Admin mentioned, if someone has not - they live in their own world.
I went to the church this morning, 7:50, only a few empty cars, waited and nothing, did i go to the church too early/late?
I ended parking at the old Tacketts lot by McDonalds, I will try the church again tomorrow.

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:14am
I have seen the signs too - however, I think they all just say "Alt Parking 13600 Minnieville Road" with no further information (like First Baptist Church lot). Could this be why people are still not going there? The commentary I heard from other slugs since the signs went up were, "where is that?"

I drive by it on my way to Tackett's, and as much as I really want to use this lot, I continue to pass it by only because there are no cars (riders or drivers) there! I'm afraid to stop and park there in no one will pick me up.

FBC Drivers - are you out there?

Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:52am
Commuter shuttle no help in filling church lot (InsideNova.com):

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/may/24/commuter-shuttle-no-help-filling-church-lot-ar-1061762/ - http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/may/24/commuter-shuttle-no-help-filling-church-lot-ar-1061762/

Posted By: snlfam
Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 3:22pm
quote:
Originally posted by shorty5646

Commuter shuttle no help in filling church lot (InsideNova.com):

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/may/24/commuter-shuttle-no-help-filling-church-lot-ar-1061762/ - http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/may/24/commuter-shuttle-no-help-filling-church-lot-ar-1061762/

I can not believe that VDOT is paying almost $300,000 a year for this lot! That is over $1,000 a day (weekdays only) for a lot that just sits there otherwise. That comes out to about $50 per car from what I have seen. It is cheaper to park in downtown DC. Then they don't do anything to make it a good place to commute to (I am usually home by the 7:00 shuttle). I drive by this, the Dale City lot, and an empty commuter lot on Hillendale every single day because I like to be home by 6:30. The bus takes too long to get to these lots, and slugs are like a herd of cats (no offense meant) which means it will take years of work to get a fully functioning slug line to this location. I guess the good news is that it is hopefully only temporary and will end when they finally expand the Horner Rd lot (whatever that means).

Posted By: Lar
Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:02pm
Slugs need to boycott Horner and park at FBC lot. If you get desparate coming home ask the driver to drop off at FBC if they won't make a sign to display asking for a ride to FBC from Horner. People driving to Tackets sometimes drive through the horner lot to go to Tacketts. You might also consider a drop off at the shopping center across the street and placing the pick up spot at the long and foster office building area if it is allowed. Minnieville road is difficult to drive on because you stop at every light in order to get to Dale city. Turning right just adds to the delay. I think the only riders that can use the FBC lot are van pools. PWC probably had extra money earmarked for commuter parking that was the quickest way to spend it. I wonder if PWC even cares that the lot is not being used?

Slugs could also pile into one car and ride together to horner especially later In the morning when parking is limited at horner. A yahoo group dedicated to leaving FBC and arriving to FBC might help. I found the Navy Yard yahoo group helpful.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net