Print Page | Close Window

NEW Rosslyn->Springfield Slugline!!!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Afternoon Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments on slug lines leaving the city in the afternoon here.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=637
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NEW Rosslyn->Springfield Slugline!!!
Posted By: digithead
Subject: NEW Rosslyn->Springfield Slugline!!!
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 8:08am
Okay, we're finally ready to go!!

Our first location choice is still being evaluated by Arlington County (they'd have to change the no-standing zone there), but we've decided that we don't want to wait anymore, so we've found an alternative spot: North Kent Street.

***Start date is Monday, October 20th.***

From the Metro, walk down Wilson Blvd (down the hill) and turn left at North Kent Street. The slug line will be about 100 feet ahead (to allow for a line of cars), starting at the speed limit sign. We'll put a poster there as well as at the Springfield/Burke lots. We'll put together a flyer and will post it here this weekend. Please print out a few copies and give them to fellow drivers/riders.

-=Digithead=-

Replies:
Posted By: Marcus
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 1:55pm
Nice work, Digithead. I can't wait for this line to get going. I'll watch for the flyers.

This will be double-heaven for the Rosslyn slugs and drivers. They've really fubar-ed the Pentagon lines and the traffic the drivers have to navigate to get to the slugs.

Marcus

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 5:32am
Great work! This will really help those who had to metro over to the Pentagon each afternoon!

http://www.slug-lines.com/downloads/slugline.pdf - Download/View Rosslyn Flyer:

Posted By: georgetown
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 12:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by digithead
[br]Okay, we're finally ready to go!!

Our first location choice is still being evaluated by Arlington County (they'd have to change the no-standing zone there), but we've decided that we don't want to wait anymore, so we've found an alternative spot: North Kent Street.

***Start date is Monday, October 20th.***

From the Metro, walk down Wilson Blvd (down the hill) and turn left at North Kent Street. The slug line will be about 100 feet ahead (to allow for a line of cars), starting at the speed limit sign. We'll put a poster there as well as at the Springfield/Burke lots. We'll put together a flyer and will post it here this weekend. Please print out a few copies and give them to fellow drivers/riders.

-=Digithead=-

Posted By: georgetown
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 12:46pm
How do I get to the new slugline in Rosslyn from the key bridge?

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2003 at 2:07pm
I'm going from memory here, so please take with a grain of salt (I'll drive it myself in the next day or two to verify):

If you're driving, you go straight after the bridge onto Ft. Myer Drive. After 19th St, Ft. Meyer splits with the center two lanes going underneath Wilson Blvd, while the leftmost and rightmost lanes meet Wilson. Bear left and turn left onto Wilson. Cross N. Moore and N. Lynn streets. The next left is N. Kent. There is a traffic light with a left arrow. The slug line is 100 ft on the right side of the road (under the 25mph speed limit sign).

If you're walking (which a lot of people do in the summertime), follow the oncoming-traffic lane (the east side of the bridge). This puts you onto N. Lynn St. Turn left onto 19th St. Then bear right. This will dump you onto N. Kent St. The slug line will be about 150 yards on the left.

-=Digithead=-

Posted By: Dash4va
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 9:43am
Digithead,
Are all the drop-off points between Old Keene Mill and Daventry? I leave Rosslyn at 4:30 and will definitely swing by to pick up riders.

Dash4va[:)]

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2003 at 12:20pm
We've left the destination up to participants. We expect that, like the Pentagon, there'll be call for all Springfield locations. According to the poll, I expect Rolling Valley and Sydenstriker will be the most popular.

-=Digithead=-

Posted By: Sabrina Jeffries
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 12:35pm
Has anyone mentioned that they will be heading to the Kingstowne or Franconia/Springfield Metro areas as a possible destination? If so, I'd definitely join in!

Thanks.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2003 at 9:59am
Congratulations on getting this new line up and running. I drive past it every day on my way to the other Rosslyn lines. I see it's just like normal.. A line of cars one day, a line of people the next!

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 8:40am
Good luck with your new line - I hope it's a big success! [8D]

Mike

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2003 at 6:27pm
An update - The new Rosslyn to Springfield PM Slug Line is working -- but it needs more drivers, especially between 4:00 and 4:45 PM. We have used it four times and got rides to the Sydenstricker lot each time -- but we had to wait about a half-hour the past two days (Friday and Monday). If Springfield drivers want to avoid the Pentagon afternoon traffic jam, try the Rosslyn PM slug line on Kent St. Try it, you'll like it! [:)]

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 3:35pm
I tried it last week, no wait, took two riders to Sydenstricker, home in record time. Next time I'll try riding. Keep it up everyone!

Posted By: dbeadner
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 8:35am
Rosslyn slug line seems to be an early one, have showed twice at 5:30 in the last week and no riders in sight.

DB

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2003 at 1:30pm
I think you're right about most slugs showing up for the afternoon Rosslyn to Springfield/Burke line earlier than 5:30PM. I usually get in line there between 4:10 to 4:45 -- and end up waiting up to 20 minutes for a Springfield/Burke driver to show up. My view is many Rosslyn slugs would appreciate more drivers around 4:30. But if you can't drive earlier, please keep checking for slugs there. Many of us are patient and will wait. Thank you. [:I]

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2003 at 4:06pm
Prime time for this line is between 4:15 and 5:00pm. That's when I have had best luck as a rider and driver. I have had a short wait both driving and riding. Not bad though and certainly much better than the Pentagon traffic mess. Keep it up everyone!

Posted By: khalito
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2005 at 7:38pm
Hey what time do people line up to go to Rosslyn? I would like to pick up a few to go tomorrow. I need to be in Rosslyn at 8:30, so I wanted to leave stafford at 7:30. Do you know if people will be lined up at this time, and if so, which lot?

Kyle

Posted By: jorgelisset
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 2:57pm
Is this line still working?

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 12:02pm
It was working late last month when I was in Rosslyn for a 3-day meeting. I picked up 3 slugs for Rolling Valley Mall there on Kent Street near the corner of Wilson Blvd at about 4:50 PM. There were 3 other slugs in line there at the time.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: rosslyndriver
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 7:03am
Are there still quite a few people at the North Kent Slug-line that go to Sydenstricker in the afternoon?

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 7:29am
Most slugs at Kent Street want rides to the larger commuter lot at Rolling Valley Mall. [:)] It's not too far from Sydenstricker. [;)]

Posted By: merlin
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2006 at 12:51pm
Yesterday I saw one person standing in line to go to Syndenstricker. The rest of the 15 or so people that were waiting in line were going to Rolling Valley.

Also, did anyone notice that a sign indicating a commuter line to springfield/burke has gone up on the first light post after turning onto N. Kent Street? Has it been there long?

Merlin

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2006 at 11:26am
WOW. Yesterday afternoon I got to the line at about 4:35 and didn't even see a car for about 20 minutes! And even then the destination was Sydenstricker...and the 20 people in line were going to Rolling Valley.

Hopefully things will be better this afternoon!

Merlin

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 1:25pm
Any drivers out there? I have slugged out of Rosslyn to Rolling Valley for the past two weeks and waited no less than 20 minutes every day!

Merlin

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2006 at 1:31pm
I tried that line for a few days as well, plenty of slugs and very few drivers. I just don't understand drivers infatuation with picking up at the Pentagon, especially when this line is so convenient and the driver doesn't have to feel like he or she is holding up traffic to pick up slugs on this street...Must be more to it than that tho...

Posted By: Jenny
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 1:13pm
Are there still afternoon slugs to Gambrill/Sydenstricker? The last couple times I've checked it's been empty, so I've just gone on to the Pentagon.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2006 at 9:24am
This line seems to run hot and cold. When I was slugging in January and February, I would arrive at 4:30 and there would be six or seven people and no cars for 15-30 minutes.

Now I have started driving and I arrive at 4:30 and there is no one in line. I usually have to wait 5-10 minutes.

It's very strange.

Merlin

Posted By: roncinva
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 9:24am
I work near Ballston metro. Are there any slugs who work in Ballston area and park at Rolling Valley? If not, are there any slugs who work in Rosslyn that would be interested in car pooling or being a regular rider?

Ron C. work in Ballston area, live in Springfield.

Posted By: Sterlingslug
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2006 at 5:36pm
If this Rosslyn to Fredericksburg line is still going, I'll drive into work tomorrow and take people as far South down I95 as they want to go tomorrow 10/20. I'll have to see some interest though or I'll go to the Pentagon. I work in the building in that picture.

Posted By: georgealm27
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 9:25pm
Is this rosslyn slug line dead? I tried it once 2 or 3 days ago and nobody was there. I work in Ballston and need to slug to Bobs. The ballston slug line was dead too. By the time I got to the 14&F HOV was over..:/

if i go straight to 14 and f right after work im okay, but it would be GREAT to slug right from ballston or rosslyn. Any other slugs or drivers in my boat?

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 9:45pm
We`picked up a slug there on Kent Street about 4:50 to 5 PM about 3 weeks ago. Dropped them at RVM.

Posted By: NickW
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 9:58am
I would like to drive from Rosslyn -> Springfield. Is this line active now?

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 12:40pm
NickW,
[:)] It was active about a month ago.
I had a meeting in Rosslyn and picked up three slugs for RVM at about 5 PM on my way home. There were five slugs in line then. [^]

Posted By: NickW
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2006 at 2:53pm
Does anyone go to the Bob's/Circuit City Stop?

Posted By: mariah
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2007 at 1:21pm
hi marcus wat up!!!!!

mariah stacey(lilred)

Posted By: nezbittd
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:27am
Has this location gotten any better for riders??? Relatively new to slugging from this location. Not sure of the best way to commute from Fort Belvoir. I've done the yellow line switching to blue; the blue all the way to Rosslyn; VRE to Crystal City and switching to the blue line; and most recently slugging to the Pentagon and (depending upon the timing) catching the shuttle bus or metro from the pentagon to Rosslyn. They all work. I'm trying to avoid the "layover. What's the best time to get there???

Thanx[8D]

D. NESBITT

Posted By: tjdcbv
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 3:14pm
I get rides there a few times a week. I head to Sydenstriker.

Posted By: EViergutz
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 11:17am
I just recently moved from Woodbridge to Springfield (actually within walking distance of the Sydenstricker lot). I was wondering if this line still exists and if it can be taken to Sydenstricker or if this line drops off somewhere else? I work in Ballston so Rosslyn is the perfect pick-up point for me. Thanks in advance!!

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 3:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by EViergutz

I just recently moved from Woodbridge to Springfield (actually within walking distance of the Sydenstricker lot). I was wondering if this line still exists and if it can be taken to Sydenstricker or if this line drops off somewhere else? I work in Ballston so Rosslyn is the perfect pick-up point for me. Thanks in advance!!

Rosslyn is a destination from the Sydenstricker lot. About one in 4 or 5 drivers will take you there, the rest go to the Pentagon.

Posted By: SPVA08
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 4:07pm
Is there a slug line in Ballston that travel to the Franconia/Springfield Metro in the PM after 5pm?

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 5:38pm
SPVA08,

[:)] Check the info at this link:

http://www.slug-lines.com/PM_lines/Ballston.asp

The Ballston slug line may have died.

Posted By: JeBr
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 9:25pm
I will be picking up riders from the Rosslyn (Kent St) location around 5PM. can someone please tell me if this location is still successful? I hope to not have to wait too long when people riders up, but being a first time user of slugging/driving I'm not sure what to expect. Thank you!

Posted By: Jeffrey Bell
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 9:49am
Looking for 1-2 people departing from Burke-Springfield approx 6:45 am and going to Rosslyn; departing Rosslyn at 4:30 pm.

We have free parking in Rosslyn and will always be the daily driver.

If interested, please contact me.

Posted By: SlugasaBug
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 1:43pm
I work in GT and can walk over to Rosslyn (approx 10-15min) to arrive there b/t 4:40 - 4:45pm going to Bob's (Springfield Plaza)...

Posted By: got2get2work
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 10:00am
hello everyone!
I am new to slugging. So, I live in Springfield and work in Rosslyn. My hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm. So I was wondering if there are any drivers that follow this route: Sydenstricker Commuter Lot to Rosslyn metro station or Kent st; leaving Springfield around 7:30-ish and then leaving Rosslyn at 5:35-ish. Fingers crossed...

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 12:33pm
got2get2work,
You shouldn't have a problem getting from Sydenstricker to Rosslyn. The only potential problem will be if you are planning to park in the Sydensticker lot because the parking spots are full or almost full by 7:30 each morning. If you could start 15 to 30 minutes earlier it will be even easier for you. [:)]

Posted By: got2get2work
Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 1:44pm
Hello everyone,
Ok so my co-worker and I have started slugging, which is great...but now we have run into a problem. We get off of work at 5:30pm, but by that time everything seems to die out and no more drivers come around. So I was wondering if there is anyone who leaves the area around that time? We get out at the same time every evening and work 5 days a week. Fingers crossed...

Posted By: julpee
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 10:21am
Is this line still open? I just started working in Rosslyn and would be a driver leaving around 3:45-4:15.

Do most people still want to go to Rolling Valley? And is HOV 3?

Julie

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 12:36pm
My most recent use of this line was about 6 months ago. It was working then with a few riders, and it seemed like most of the riders showed up between 4:30 and 5:15 PM. The Pentagon was a better option to find riders for Springfield/Burke before 4:30. [:)]

Posted By: peterh
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 12:11pm
Hi, I have not seen many posts on this msg board for 2010. On the main website, it says that the Rosslyn line on Kent is "new". I'm assuming it's pretty much worked out now. Is this the case? I'm driving and would drop off at Sydenstricker or Huntsman. Would like to give it a test run today around 3:30P

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:33pm
How difficult is it to catch a ride to from the Pentagon or Rosslyn to Daventry after 5 pm?

Posted By: peterh
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 4:49pm
Was there today at 4:15. No riders. Should I go to the other Rosslyn stop or just go to Pentagon?

Posted By: CaGirl55
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 5:56pm
I have been there every evening this week and waited for slugs tues and weds after 15/20 we got one the other nites nothing. We r.going to springfield and will take to station or plaza or rolling valley. Anyone want a ride around 5:15p?

Posted By: slug73
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:55pm
does anyone go from Rosslyn to Herndon-Manroe Park and ride? I have no issues in getting to Rosslyn (tons of people willing to pick up) but going home it's pretty scarce...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net