Print Page | Close Window

610 Lot -- New Lot

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=688
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 610 Lot -- New Lot
Posted By: Slug15
Subject: 610 Lot -- New Lot
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2003 at 2:45pm
Just wondering once the construction is done at the Stafford Marketplace (R 610), will they be eliminating the old parking lot? I know there is a new lot that is being used (across the new shopping center), but could you just imagine the ramnifications (if and when) they close the old lot? The new lot is nice, but I think we'll run into problems (yet again) finding parking spaces, if we only have that one lot. Any thoughts?

Replies:
Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2003 at 3:48pm
I believe the only parking they are taking away is the small lot that was across the street from the big old lot (on Staffordshire). But they built the extension in the back to compensate for the loss of the small lot. I'm almost 100% positive that everything else will remain in place.

I'd be interested to know how the owner's of the new shopping center would react to letting commuters use part of that lot for overflow. My assumption is that they'll react poorly. Has there been any discussion on this (I don't remember seeing any here so far)? Does anyone have any info on that?

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 8:48am
They have already reacted poorly. They have stated that they do not want commuters parking in their lot. I assume that means that they do not want us shopping in their stores either, so I will do neither.

Mike

Posted By: Hurrytooth
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 10:42am
How would you like it if you lived right on 610 next to the commuter lot and people parked their cars in your driveway for commuting purposes?

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 11:19am
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
[br]They have already reacted poorly. They have stated that they do not want commuters parking in their lot. I assume that means that they do not want us shopping in their stores either, so I will do neither.

Mike

You make a good point. I notice that at Tacketts Mill and at the Dale Blvd. K-Mart, there is parking set aside for commuters. My co-worker, who has been here for 20 years, tells me the Tacketts parking was originally designed for the shopping center. On the days I commute from the Tacketts lot, I frequently use the stores that are in or close to the Tacketts complex (Safeway, CVS), rather than make an additional stop on the way home.

Posted By: Slugman
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 1:36pm
I think we are missing the most important point. When are we going to split the lines up so that there is enough parking for everyone even after 7am in the morning. I am not sure of the best way, but either DC or Rosslyn/Pentagon/CC needs to make use of the new lot and stop using the old.

Any one else have a good idea? Let's get it started.

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 1:52pm
Over a year ago someone started a push to move the DC slug line to Mine Road, leaving the Pentagon/Roslyn/CC line where it is. SEVERAL people resisted this change, and it never really happened. But, now that the 610 road work has been started, you may want to start that push again.

BTW, does the new 610 traffic pattern make it any easier to get to the new lot?

Posted By: Slugman
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 2:12pm
It's much easier. The new light at the top of the interstate off-ramp allows you access into the left hand turn lanes that lead to the new lot. With the new setup it just seems useless for us all to try to cram into the old lot.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 3:39pm
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I think BOTH lots should be utilized (if both lots are available to us and the old lot will NOT be taken away). If we all switch from the old to the new lot or vice versa; then again, we'll run into NO PARKING after 7 a.m. Slugman, you see my point exactly. If we see that the old lot is full in the morning as far as parking; then we'll just have to migrate to the new lot to park and, hopefully, drivers will get the point to pick up slugs from the new lot. Ah, the joys of commuting.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2003 at 9:26am
quote:
Originally posted by Hurrytooth
[br]How would you like it if you lived right on 610 next to the commuter lot and people parked their cars in your driveway for commuting purposes?

Hurrytooth-It's not all that uncommon for a retail location to open it's parking lot for commuters if they can accomodate them and their patrons. Potomac Mills does it, as does Springfield Mall, and apparently the K-Mart at Tackett's Mill.

Posted By: tulipgirl67
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2003 at 11:06am
Just wanted to let everyone know that the ramp from 95 to crossover to Mine Road is open and works great!

Please don't be hesitant to pick up the Mine Road slugs especially in the afternoon. There is a sign designating the Mine Road lot at the Pentagon. Thanks.

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2003 at 7:42am
quote:

Hurrytooth-It's not all that uncommon for a retail location to open it's parking lot for commuters if they can accomodate them and their patrons. Potomac Mills does it, as does Springfield Mall, and apparently the K-Mart at Tackett's Mill.

One minor correction--there is commuter parking at Tackett's Mill in the lot across from McDonald's, and I've seen limited parking at the K-Mart on Dale Blvd just before the intersection with I-95. Happy Friday!

Posted By: DC_Slugger
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2003 at 4:21pm
The new light is amazing. It was always relatively easy to get across 610 to make that left turn (as long as there weren't evil people on the road), but now the new light is there...I never have more than a smile on my face going across. It really makes my life much easier...especially since I live back that way.

If you are thinking about moving the ENTIRE line over to the new lot...my advice is DON'T EVEN TRY. People are not willing to make that change. The lot is excellent between 7:00-8:40. There is plenty of room over there to house the cars for the DC line or the VA line, but take it from someone who once tried....don't try to move the line. People get nasty when you propose change! Plus if there is no room over at the Old Lot, then people know there is another lot they can go to...so it's not like anyone is left in the cold.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2003 at 9:53am
DC Slugger- I gotta say, I agree with you. It's nice to know that from 0530 to about 0700 I will have luck picking up at the Staffordboro lot and thereafter, I know I should go to the Mine Road lot. With all the changes that have happened to that area in the recent past (and more to come, I'm sure), it's nice to have that one little nugget of consistency so that we can get a feel for what's happening on a daily basis. I'm kinda feeling like changing lines would prove chaotic and not really that helpful. I could be wrong, but that is what my gut tells me and my guts can be pretty smart sometimes...LOL. [:)]

Posted By: Poncho
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 8:22pm
All right folks, the time has finally arrived. I'm sick and tired of our forces being divided between two parking lots and waiting far too long to get a ride to Rosslyn in the morning. Mirangus, you say you like the consistency of knowing you'll have luck at Staffordboro from 0530-0700 followed by Mine road. How about the consistency of one location at ALL times?!

Here's what I propose:

- All Pentagon folks use the bigger Staffordboro lot
- Everybody else (Rosslyn, Navy Annex, Crystal City, etc) use Mine Rd

With the installation of the traffic light off of Hwy 95, there's no excuse for staying away from the Mine Road lot now. It's super convenient!

Just think, when you stand in line to go to Rosslyn you'll now have a much greater chance of being picked up more quickly since the Pentagon folks won't be there (and vice versa).

That's the sort of consistency I like!

Are you guys with me?! Let me know and I'll set the date and make the signs!!!!!

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 8:02am
I'm opposed. I see no reason to "fix" something THAT IS NOT BROKEN. You state that you are tired of waiting far too long for a ride to Rosslyn. Guess what? Moving the line will not fix that problem. Why in the world do you think that the absence of the Pentagon folks will increase your chances of getting a quick ride to Rosslyn? They are not competing with you for rides. All it will do is remove the option of your being able to take a ride to the Pentagon and Metro over to Rosslyn. Your proposal will make the situation worse, not better.

I am opposed and I will not cooperate with your ill-conceived proposal.

Mike

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 8:26am
I've seen it both ways: Rosslyn and Crystal City riders taking rides to the Pentagon so they can metro over to their final destination, and Rosslyn and Crystal City Drivers picking up Pentagon slugs because there was no in the line going to Rosslyn or Crystal City. Also, there are MANY people that work in Crystal City and Rosslyn that slug home from the Pentagon. Not only is the current system NOT BROKEN, it seems to work extremely well. If we make any change, I would recommend the DC line move over to the new lot (but that's up to them, not us).

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 9:00am
I agree with Arbo and mycroftt. While there are a lot of people that go to the Pentagon, I don't think it's enough to fill up the Staffordboro lot and would prove to be a horrendous waste of space. Quite honestly, I'm happy with the way things are now, for the reasons that Arbo stated. I am one of those people that will drive to wherever the need is greatest. And it's great that there are a lot of choices with the current system. Plus, the changeover time that that would require would be more than I care to endure and I'm not convinced that the benefits of the switch would be beneficial enough to put up with all that chaos. No, thanks. I will also throw in my vote of "no, leave things alone."

Posted By: gt1318
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 11:13am
I vote no, leave it like it is.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 11:55am
Poncho: I forgot the most important part: Thank you for taking an active interest in improving slugging. Although I don't agree with what you want to do, I do appreciate your willingness to grab the bull by the horns and do something to improve a situation you believe needs improving. This is grassroots activism at its finest and it is what has made the slugging system so successful thus far.

Mike

Posted By: JeanB.
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 12:02pm
I'll speak up for the DC line. We have riders going to 14th, 18th St., L'Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard. We, too, have riders and drivers that switch final destinations just to get into the District. Once you get into DC, walking or metroing to your destination is a snap. We even have some people who get into any car, just to get to any metro station so they can metro to their final destination. We're operating the same as the "Pentagon/Rosslyn/Crystal City" line. Our final destinations just encompass a different area. Riders and drivers switch all the time depending on what's happening at the time. Flexibility (of arrival/departure time and destination) is just part of the beauty of slugging!!

JeanB.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 3:18pm
JeanB. Are you implying that the District sluggers would be amendable to moving to the new lot? I wonder how many slug into the District in the AM but slug home from the Pentagon? (At least we have a "Mine Rd" line at the Pentagon now). If we do try to change something, someone needs to inform the slugmaster AND let the Martz buses know since they may get more ridership to the new lot.

Posted By: Poncho
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 6:34pm
Wow! Thanks for the great responses! I was afraid I wouldn't hear from anyone and be left wondering what everyone "really" thinks! Thanks, mycroftt, for the kind words.

Speaking only from the micro perspective of a slugger going to Rosslyn, I'd love to be able to leave from the Mine Rd lot since it's closer to where I live (ahhhh, the truth comes out). But since I leave fairly early (0620), the preponderance of rides leave out of the North lot. I'm also "concerned" that my opportunities to get back to Mine Rd are reduced to a certain degree because not everyone delivers to Mine Rd.

If we had one staging area then I know with 100% confidence that no matter if I show up at 0620 or 0800, there will be drivers going to Rosslyn. I also know with 100% certainty that all drivers returning to Stafford will drop me off at Mine Rd! That's the consistency I'm referring to.

Anyway, based on your feedback I'll certainly cool my jets if that's what the majority want.

Happy slugging!

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 11:31am
Poncho-I honestly feel that, with time, the lines will actually divide themselves up pretty evenly. I've seen more and more people using the Mine Road lot (I actually had to wait for like 20 minutes there for passengers...so the cars are there!!). There are a lot of folks living down Mine Road that would prefer to pick up/slug from there. Plus, once word gets out about how great getting to the lot in the afternoons is now that they put the light there, even more people will want to use it. Heck, I don't even live down Mine Road and I'd rather drop off at Mine Road!! It won't happen tomorrow, or even a month from now, but I'd be willing to bet that within the year, we'll see things balancing out between the two lots. I already see people there earlier and earlier and I've only been picking up from there for the last month or so.

Posted By: JeanB.
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 12:44pm
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]JeanB. Are you implying that the District sluggers would be amendable to moving to the new lot? I wonder how many slug into the District in the AM but slug home from the Pentagon? (At least we have a "Mine Rd" line at the Pentagon now). If we do try to change something, someone needs to inform the slugmaster AND let the Martz buses know since they may get more ridership to the new lot.

I'm not implying that the DC line moves. It's working great. I just think that there is a large number of drivers and riders switching final destinations at the last minute depending on how the lines are working that particular day. Knowing that you can go anywhere you want from either of the commuter lots is a great benefit to all. The more we start structuring the slug lines and parking lots, the more we start tying our own hands and eliminating our own options. My thoughts are that if you're running early, go to the 610 lot. If you're running late, go to Mine Rd. There are several 610 lot lines to get you home, and a Mine Rd. lot at Pentagon. Works both ways!! Happy Friday to all.....

JeanB.

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 12:45pm
Poncho:
The system works fine as is. The earlier folks (5:00-6:45a.m.) go to the Staffordborough lot and the later folks (6:45-8:40a.m.) go to the Mine Road lot. The only time you run into a problem with getting a direct ride to your destination is if you are there between 8:30-8:40a.m. because rides are scarcer at those times. Besides, we all need each other because if you can't you can get directly to your destination, you can always go to the Pentagon and metro fairly easily. So my vote is to keep it as is.[;)]

Posted By: NoNo
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2003 at 3:24pm
The funny thing is, I usually hit the old lot betweeen 06:45 and 06:50 and have yet to not have a ride to Rosslyn. The only problem I see is that cars won't move all the way up in order to free up some room for the cars behind them.

Perhaps its time to move the line a bit further up past the bus kiosk so that more cards can move through? The past week and a half my mornings have had cars lined up to go to Rosslyn, and snippy comments about it from those going elsewhere. As if every other day its not all Pentagon/CC/Navy Annex, lol!

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 2:37pm
Well, it looks like after quite some time, the Mine Road lot is finally being utilized. However, it seems that the old lot is not being utilized to full capacity. This morning at about 8:10 a.m. I drove to the Mine Road (like any other day) to find out the lot was FULL. I decided to take a chance to go to the old lot, low and behold, parking spaces (LEGAL) were available (I found at least 5). I parked over there and had to walk to the new lot due to lack of drivers at the old lot (about a 20 minute walk). Very frustrating to see the Mine Road full and have spaces available at the old lot because everyone thinks that the old lot is still an early lot, so no one is there after 7:00 a.m. or so. Looks to me like the Mine Road will be an early lot as well (especially when Stafford County schools are back in session beginning next week).

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 7:52am
There are probably spots available later on in the morning in the old lot "annex" because of all the commercial vehicles that park there overnight (probably because their HOA's don't allow them to park on their property). When they pull out in the morning they probably free up 15 or 20 spots. Why I have even seen a Good Samaritan park his flatbed with another car in tow lengthwise across the parking spaces "reserving" 7 or 8 spots for the latecomers. Does anyone know who I should contact to get the lot renamed "The 610 Commercial Parking Lot"?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net