Print Page | Close Window

What is slugging coming to?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=765
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 5:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is slugging coming to?
Posted By: mirangus
Subject: What is slugging coming to?
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 10:09am
A co-worker of mine relayed to me something he saw at the Horner Rd. line. It disturbed me enough to want to share it.

He was walking up toward a line of cars when he noticed that a lot of folks were passing up a car in the front as they made their way down the queue. He saw a woman roll her eyes at the car. As he walked closer, a guy said to him, "don't even bother with that one," as he pointed to the car in the front. Not knowing what was going on or what the gentleman meant, he proceeded to the front of the vehicle line and immediately spotted what all the fuss was about. In the window of the front car was a sign that said, "Black People Only."

I have seen signs that say "Smokers Only." That makes sense to me. Someone can't go an hour without smoking doesn't want to offend non-smokers. Pretty courteous. I've seen signs that say "Women Only." OK...a woman driver feels most comfortable or safe with other women passengers. That also makes sense. However, I'm having difficulty rationalizing a sign that discriminates against everyone but those that are your own color. I can't call it courtesy. It's not for safety, so I'm stumped. I understand that it's the driver's perogative to have whoever they want in their vehicle, but I feel more strongly that one's bigotry is something that should be left at home, in the closet, with the rest of the skeletons. What is this system coming to that we can't spend an hour with someone else that doesn't share our same ethnicity? Boy, if that's where slugging is headed, we're in trouble.

Guess I'll have to make my own sign: "30-Something Red-headed Irish-Mexican Presbyterians Only."

Replies:
Posted By: swichowski
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 12:06pm
I have slugged from Horner Rd. for the past 2 years and have never seen any signs like that b4. sad very sad. Was it in the DC line or VA line?

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 12:49pm
Wow. That is truly unbelievable. I can only hope that it was some kind of college experiment in social issues or something...although, sadly, I doubt it. I wonder if they ever got riders...hopefully even African-Americans would pass up that ride.

Posted By: GeeseAreGood
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2003 at 1:15pm
I find this one hard to believe, the sign thing. I have never seen any signs, and I will say that rule 6.6.6 says that since it is your private car you can do this, but that does not have to make it OK.

A good suggestion to show disaproval to such inappropriate behavior would be to bypass such vehicles, I mean everyone. For example, if you are green and the sign says green people only, you should bypass this car, even if you are green.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 10:59am
That is something! I hope everyone avoids that car as well. Has anyone seen the car or sign since?

Posted By: k2
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 11:08am
Have we forgotten the "whites only" signs of many years past? The Horner Road drivers still wants revenge it seems.

Anyways, intolerance should not be tolerated by any means. I'm sorry for replying. We should drop this before a race riot erupts again. I discriminate only against smokers.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 11:38am
quote:
Originally posted by k2
[br]Have we forgotten the "whites only" signs of many years past? The Horner Road drivers still wants revenge it seems.

Anyways, intolerance should not be tolerated by any means. I'm sorry for replying. We should drop this before a race riot erupts again. I discriminate only against smokers.

You discriminate against smokers, or the act of smoking? Be careful what you say...we don't want any kind of riot here...racial or otherwise.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 12:41pm
Mirangus, well said on your clarification of "smokers" or the "act of smoking." Dislike the act not the person. Although, at times we have a difficult time seperating the two. I too find this type of blatant discrimination eye-opening. I won't say unbelievable, but truly eye-opening. Did your co-worker say when this happened?

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 3:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Did your co-worker say when this happened?

Wasn't real specific, just offered the generic "a few months ago." I'll ask him when he gets off leave though.

Posted By: argentinian_belle
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2004 at 4:50pm
This kind of racism happens every day. One time at the metro i heard an african american boy say "oh, that's the white train" refering to the yellow line (the other line is the green line which is mostly riden by african americans). Also if you ever go to a comedy club or just listen to an african american comedian on tv or anywhere, you can notice how they always make racist jokes about how they are so much cooler than the white race and such. I guess they'll be holding a grudge for a while, but my point is, this kind of sign does not surprise me and THAT is sad.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2004 at 7:15am
quote:
Originally posted by argentinian_belle

This kind of racism happens every day. One time at the metro i heard an african american boy say "oh, that's the white train" refering to the yellow line (the other line is the green line which is mostly riden by african americans). Also if you ever go to a comedy club or just listen to an african american comedian on tv or anywhere, you can notice how they always make racist jokes about how they are so much cooler than the white race and such. I guess they'll be holding a grudge for a while, but my point is, this kind of sign does not surprise me and THAT is sad.

I don't believe that perceptive young fellow's observation is racist at all. Everyone who rides Metro at L'Enfant Plaza knows that you can tell which train is coming next just by looking at the faces of the people on the platform. If everyone is white, the last train was the green line and the next will be yellow, and vice versa. I think the kid's comment was perceptive, honest, and a little comical.

Mike

Posted By: argentinian_belle
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2004 at 3:12pm
I don't believe that perceptive young fellow's observation is racist at all. Everyone who rides Metro at L'Enfant Plaza knows that you can tell which train is coming next just by looking at the faces of the people on the platform. If everyone is white, the last train was the green line and the next will be yellow, and vice versa. I think the kid's comment was perceptive, honest, and a little comical.

Mike

If a white person would have said "here comes the n***** train, or the Black train" they would have raised hell as they always do, which is fine, but they shouldn't go making racist jokes about others.

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2004 at 3:29pm
Unbelievable.

Posted By: GeeseAreGood
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 11:59am
This morning I saw a car with a sign that said: "No long haired creepy freeky people."

Seems that no one is letting me ride with them these days.

Posted By: PSMITH4780
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 3:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by GeeseAreGood
[br]This morning I saw a car with a sign that said: "No long haired creepy freeky people."

Seems that no one is letting me ride with them these days.

Use a dictionary (or spell check) before posting.......seems like you have the time and it would be very beneficial since you have a difficult time with even small words like freaky.

Maybe you should look for a message board for long haired, creepy, freaky people instead of bothering us with your useless messages! [xx(]

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 3:33pm
Hey psmith4780. Maybe you're too young to remember, but there was a very good song back in the late 60s / early 70s that had that line in it, except I believe it was "Long haired creepy freaky people need not apply". I beleave the title of the song is "Signs (Signs, Everywhere There's Signs)". It fits very well with this thread.

Posted By: PSMITH4780
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 3:45pm
"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...do this don't do that can't you read the sign"......Yes, I remember the song.....very good song!

Oh well - we'll just continue to put up with "it".

Posted By: dixeedog
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 8:13am
Signs
The 5 Man Electrical Band
lyrics as recorded by The Five Man Electrical Band in 1971 and included on
the 1990 compilation album "Made In Canada - Volume Three 1965-1974

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
Whoa-oh-oh

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house, "Hey! What gives you
the
right?"
"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner"

Now, hey you, mister, can't you read?
You've got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't even watch, no you can't eat
You ain't supposed to be here
The sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside
Ugh!

------ lead guitar ------

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."
Wooo!

Sign
Sign, sign

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 10:52am
quote:
Originally posted by PSMITH4780
[br]"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...do this don't do that can't you read the sign"......Yes, I remember the song.....very good song!

Oh well - we'll just continue to put up with "it".

Actually-I've gotta hand it to Goose-boy. He's been participating on this board just fine lately. Albeit, in his own way...but participating nonetheless. Keep up the good posts!

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 10:53am
quote:
Originally posted by PSMITH4780
[br]
Use a dictionary (or spell check) before posting.......seems like you have the time and it would be very beneficial since you have a difficult time with even small words like freaky.

Maybe you should look for a message board for long haired, creepy, freaky people instead of bothering us with your useless messages! [xx(]

Ummmm, I think he was making a joke. And a pretty funny one, too.

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 12:03pm
The band Tesla also released that song in the late 80's. It's a pretty good song but I still think the Geese man is a bit of an instigator and doesn't really care about the slug system. So here's to hoping he'll bug off and start bugging a different message board.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2004 at 1:54pm
In case you haven't been following the thread, i do believe a little "he**" was raised [:0] It always seems to become an issue of "double standards" when the words Black and White come into play. At least on the slug-Line board, can't we all just ride-along! [:D]

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net